Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086626 times)

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #4550 on: January 11, 2018, 08:25:45 AM »
I caught the guy that stole my bike, he got 4 days in jail and a $450 fine.
 Since then I have seen him twice, riding a different bike each time.
Hmm...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4551 on: January 12, 2018, 07:18:00 AM »
My bike was stolen today. As if that's not bad enough, now I have to look into insuring or self-insuring the new bike I'll be buying this week. My old bike was so old it was practically worthless - to other people, not to me :(

Eventually, when your bike gets stolen often enough, you start buy8ng used bikes from someone who advertises to have mamy to choose from. At least that is what I did in the past. I think all those 50 or so bikes in the man's backyard were other people's stolen bikes.

I don't understand. Are you trying to find your stolen bike this way so that you can report the seller-thief to police? Please don't go to suspicious meetings alone! My reluctance to buy stolen goods is a major deterrent to buying used tools and bikes, as they are frequently stolen in my city. Aside from it being a crime to buy stolen goods, I would be absolutely mortified to have a former owner accost me on the street if they recognized the bike!

No, I wasn't trying to find/catch the thief. I had my bike stolen several times when I was a poor student. So each time I tried to buy another bike as cheaply as possible. I found an add in the newspaper and found bikes for sale. I bought a bike for little money, but noticed that there were a lot of bikes in the man's back yard and started wondering later if this man was the dealer of stolen bikes. The man himself didn't look dangerous. It all went well and at that time (25 years ago) I didn't care if the bike I bought was stolen goods, as long as it was cheap.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4552 on: January 12, 2018, 07:41:24 AM »
Preface, I am at a new dentist in a new town.  I basically self insure my teeth but my health insurance does provide some minimal coverage.

Having to spend five minutes listening to the check out clerk basically apologize for cost and assure me that my next appointment should be cheaper.  Also she give me warning that my coverage is crap (which I already know) and that work such as fillings could cost me money.  I smile while thinking, can I just pay you please.

Later in the afternoon I bring my cats into the vet, their yearly visit costs 2x the amount that I paid at the dentist, nobody apologized for the cost.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4553 on: January 12, 2018, 07:45:14 AM »
My bike was stolen today. As if that's not bad enough, now I have to look into insuring or self-insuring the new bike I'll be buying this week. My old bike was so old it was practically worthless - to other people, not to me :(

Eventually, when your bike gets stolen often enough, you start buy8ng used bikes from someone who advertises to have mamy to choose from. At least that is what I did in the past. I think all those 50 or so bikes in the man's backyard were other people's stolen bikes.

I'm keeping an eye on the internet to see if it turns up, but I've never wanted to buy bikes from people like that. I've also never needed to - I've always been offered free bikes by other people when I needed them. I was offered two free bikes already, one without working gears and brakes, one without a chain on it. I'm going to buy a proper bike, but if I couldn't afford that, I would have fixed up one of those.

In my hometown, I knew exactly where those guys lived, but in this city I just don't know where to look. In my town, they weren't dangerous - they were unemployed or retired older men trying to make some extra money. They weren't dangerous people, although I'm sure you'd get intro trouble if you'd try to take your bike back without payment.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4554 on: January 12, 2018, 06:52:49 PM »
My MPP: I'm actually more excited about the free In-n-out burger ($2.75) offer on my BoA card than I am about the thousands of dollars in portfolio gains this week.

EngineeringFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4555 on: January 12, 2018, 08:05:19 PM »
My mustachian people problem: my neighbors think I'm never home. For the longest time I couldn't figure out why they always thought this, but I've come to the conclusion it's because:
1. My garage isn't filled with crap, so I park my car in it. I've noticed most of my neighbors use their garage for storage and park in the driveway.
2. I don't leave lights on in rooms I'm not in, so my house must look dark from the outside.

The result is that whenever I see my neighbors they always say, "Hey! When did you get back in town?" And awkwardness follows...

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4556 on: January 12, 2018, 09:16:39 PM »
People keep buying me drinks when I go out with groups (eg. coworker today at pub) and I never ever pay them back because they dive in to buy the first round every time and all I want is a single Diet Coke and I'm good for the whole night, while they get through several beers. They don't seem to mind (obviously I'm a cheap date!), but I find it very awkward. I'd rather just buy my own drinks but insisting would be even more awkward.

Familiar one. I'm not unwilling to pay someone a drink, but they just always seem to want them sooner/more frequently than  me.

I was at dinner last night with my wife's friends (couple) and her dad. Bill came and I said something along the lines like just split 3 ways (with my card in hand)? It was basically even with the exception of my wife's dad who would've paid a little extra, but he wouldn't of cared. The other guy made a big deal saying it was his treat because he was staying with us. (He made the same show at breakfast when we stayed with him last fall because we were the guests).

Like how am I supposed to react in that situation? There was no reason for him to pay the bill and it was all for attention showing what a great guy he is. He wanted a little resistance and he would do the awkward thing where he would quickly shove it to the waittress when we would object (this happened the previous time). Just don't like the feeling I owe him something or throwing money around.

I really hate that too. I have a couple of (incidentally, all male) friends (I'm female) who do this all the time up to the point where I now sometimes hesitate to meet up with them outside the home. It just feels extremely awkward. We are all in long-term relationships / married, so there are no expectations of something else on either side. They just seem to have this deep rooted feeling that they shouldn't let a woman pay. Sometimes they'll say "oh, I'll let you know how much you owe me when I get home" and then they never do. I'll remind them, but I do feel awkward sending a dozen reminders.

Right now I owe a friend about €25. I know it's not a lot of money and he has a good income, but still, to me it feels different than owing someone a drink or a coffee. We bought a friend a gift for a his birthday. We decided on the gift together (it's a practical item that the friend really needed at that point) but as he has a car and I don't, he was the one who went to buy it. It's been 6 weeks since the birthday and he still hasn't let me know how much I owe him / his bank account details so I can transfer the money. I sent him a reminder and he replied with something vague like 'oh, i'll check that out later'.

There are people who feel successful and powerful because they pay for other people's meals and drinks. I don't get it.

Personally, as an extremely independent woman, I have a problem with that because dammit, you're not in charge of me and hell no I am not going to "owe" anyone anything. I can pay my own way.... And then they get all offended and don't know how to deal with me. When it's really quite simple - treat me as an equal. But they seem incapable of doing that.

That bums me out too, as a guy. Sometimes I get the implicit assumption I should pay (by women or men), or there's another guy who pays a round of drinks and I feel I'm expected to do the next one (women wouldn't be paying). This bothers me because they're not frugal and it kinda forces me to spend -- I would pick a cheaper option or not drink much. I often end up compromising but not feeling too good about it, or sticking up to my ways and making others feel bad, thinking I don't like them... I wish expectations weren't like this.

It's hard to be frugal in night clubs without being judged. Of course all the staff is trying to get you to spend by making you feel cheap if you don't. Then if you join a table of people who are having bottle service, you may be expected to chip in (even without it having been made clear) or the guy(s) inviting feeling like he's a baller, but he's just ridiculous. Night clubs can be an experience, but are really the worst place to spend your money.

MM_MG

• Stubble
« Reply #4557 on: January 15, 2018, 09:12:28 PM »
I exceeded the $54,000 cap to 401K contributions in 2017 and need to figure out how, and then proceed to correct it.   Sigh.
for three people?
$54k is the maximum total contributions allowed to a single 401k in 2017 (including employer matching and non-deferred contributions). $18k is the limit for employee contributions that can be tax deferred. I assume MM_MG is talking about the former.
I did not realize that, now I am sad that my employer doesn't contribute 36k to my 401k. :p

Just saw these posts.  To clarify, my employer does not contribute that much to my 401K either...

$18K pre-tax contributions
~$13,500 employer match
~22,500+ post-tax contributions that I made and will roll into the Roth IRA

To make this a little more convoluted, my employer has my contributions in 2017 as just under the limit, and Vanguard says I contributed just over the limit.  I'm a little concerned that there is a disconnect.  LOL!

I'm sure it will get straightened out in the next couple of weeks. 

Jsn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4558 on: January 16, 2018, 12:37:43 AM »
I called out the checkout clerk at my local Safeway today. He was ringing up green onions at $1.28 a bunch, and I marched back to the produce section to retrieved the 99 cent price tag. He was so startled by my attention to the price of every item, he decided to give me the onions for free.

I mention it because of what DIDN’T happen. My 12-year-old son was with me, and despite the hormone levels attendant to that age he was NOT discomfited or embarrassed by my actions, instead taking them in stride. On the way into the store, we’d talked about vacationing in Paris this summer. On the way out, we talked about automated pricing systems and whether consumer inattention was built into them. They were aspects of the same conversation, in that the central topic was feeling empowered to make informed, intelligent choices. Pretty happy that my values are becoming family values.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:40:09 AM by Jsn »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4559 on: January 16, 2018, 01:13:27 AM »
My mustachian people problem: my neighbors think I'm never home. For the longest time I couldn't figure out why they always thought this, but I've come to the conclusion it's because:
1. My garage isn't filled with crap, so I park my car in it. I've noticed most of my neighbors use their garage for storage and park in the driveway.
2. I don't leave lights on in rooms I'm not in, so my house must look dark from the outside.

The result is that whenever I see my neighbors they always say, "Hey! When did you get back in town?" And awkwardness follows...

Same for my house. We only light up the living room if we are there. And we park both cars in the garage. In the summer when the lights in the living room are not on, people think we are not home.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4560 on: January 16, 2018, 02:19:10 AM »

Same for my house. We only light up the living room if we are there. And we park both cars in the garage. In the summer when the lights in the living room are not on, people think we are not home.

For whom would you light the rooms if you are not in them? Mice? Burglars?

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #4561 on: January 16, 2018, 02:40:54 AM »
I called out the checkout clerk at my local Safeway today. He was ringing up green onions at $1.28 a bunch, and I marched back to the produce section to retrieved the 99 cent price tag. He was so startled by my attention to the price of every item, he decided to give me the onions for free.

I mention it because of what DIDN’T happen. My 12-year-old son was with me, and despite the hormone levels attendant to that age he was NOT discomfited or embarrassed by my actions, instead taking them in stride. On the way into the store, we’d talked about vacationing in Paris this summer. On the way out, we talked about automated pricing systems and whether consumer inattention was built into them. They were aspects of the same conversation, in that the central topic was feeling empowered to make informed, intelligent choices. Pretty happy that my values are becoming family values.

I did this recently for a 15 cent bottle return slip that was not rung up. Most stores have a customer service desk so you don't have to hold up other people. I examine my receipt while I'm still in the market and since the start of the new year there has been something incorrect on it, in the store's favor, every other trip. I do face some eye-rolling at the desk, but I like to think I am making this sort of thing more expensive for the store in cost of labor.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4562 on: January 16, 2018, 06:25:10 AM »

I did this recently for a 15 cent bottle return slip that was not rung up. Most stores have a customer service desk so you don't have to hold up other people. I examine my receipt while I'm still in the market and since the start of the new year there has been something incorrect on it, in the store's favor, every other trip. I do face some eye-rolling at the desk, but I like to think I am making this sort of thing more expensive for the store in cost of labor.

If that's actual eye rolling, you definitely need to complain to a supervisor about the customer service... Or you would here in the south. That may reflect cultural norms, but here it's beyond the pale and would likely be indicative of other problems.

NoVa

• Stubble
« Reply #4563 on: January 16, 2018, 08:28:14 AM »

If it were random chance it wouldn't always be in the store's favor.

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #4564 on: January 16, 2018, 12:02:55 PM »
I love that at HyVee when I bring up that something didn't ring up correctly they have a policy to give it to the customer for free. :) Doesn't happen often but it is a nice little benefit to paying attention.

I use an app on my phone to put together a grocery list. It has a price list and calculates tax on my overall expected spending as well. This is a great way to spot errors of more than a few cents.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4565 on: January 16, 2018, 12:51:23 PM »

This is actually safeway policy assuming the price rang up incorrectly - free first item under $5, otherwise $5 off.  I believe they lost a class action suit because they were consistently overcharging customers

Not everyone there knows the policy though, or maybe just too lazy to enact it

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4566 on: January 16, 2018, 12:55:21 PM »

For whom would you light the rooms if you are not in them? Mice? Burglars?

Neighbors.  Maybe they want to give you some cookies but thought you weeent home so didn’t leave them.  I’m joking but this has actually happened to me.  I saved about $1 in electricity that year and it cost me priceless cookies

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4567 on: January 16, 2018, 12:59:26 PM »

What gets me I when I see on nextdoor “someone broke into my truck today parked in my driveway.  Nothing was stolen”

And I want to tell them to just park it in their 3 car garage.  Like, I get that you keep your unused canoe and treadmill in there, but maybe if someone keeps breaking into your truck you shouldn’t keep putting it there

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4568 on: January 16, 2018, 02:35:52 PM »

What gets me I when I see on nextdoor “someone broke into my truck today parked in my driveway.  Nothing was stolen”

And I want to tell them to just park it in their 3 car garage.  Like, I get that you keep your unused canoe and treadmill in there, but maybe if someone keeps breaking into your truck you shouldn’t keep putting it there

There was a round of this on the neighborhood facebook group this morning. A woman was rattling off the list of stuff (with fancy schmancy designer names) that had been stolen from her car, totaling (her math) $7000. Who has $7000 worth of designer crap sitting in their car parked on the street?! My car isn't even worth $7000. But it's parked in my garage!

EngineeringFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4569 on: January 16, 2018, 05:48:49 PM »

You just perfectly described my neighbors: 3 car garages filled with crap they never use, so they have to park in the driveway.

I also figured out another reason my neighbors think I'm never home: my trashcans/recycling aren't often on the curb on trash day. I read on my city's website that they ask you not to put them out unless the bin is more than 1/3rd full. It's just me, and I don't make much trash, so I usually wait a few weeks for my trashcan to fill up before I put it out. Not surprisingly, the houses with overflowing 3-car garages also have overflowing trashcans every week.

gypsy79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4570 on: January 17, 2018, 06:45:06 AM »

Hahahahaha! We had a rash of car burglaries recently, and the neighborhood was riled up on Facebook talking about various ways to prevent this and scheduling resident patrols through the middle of the night, etc. NOT ONE PERSON in this hundreds-long message chain suggested simply cleaning out garages and parking in them . . . until I came along. It didn't make me very popular. :-)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4571 on: January 17, 2018, 07:11:47 AM »
Hahahahaha! We had a rash of car burglaries recently, and the neighborhood was riled up on Facebook talking about various ways to prevent this and scheduling resident patrols through the middle of the night, etc. NOT ONE PERSON in this hundreds-long message chain suggested simply cleaning out garages and parking in them . . . until I came along. It didn't make me very popular. :-)

What is it about logic that gets Americans so riled up?

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4572 on: January 17, 2018, 07:20:24 AM »
I don't know if I would go as far a getting riled up, but I would not like someone telling me to park in my garage to stop thieves. 

1.  I am not in the wrong for not parking in my garage, the thieves are in the wrong and are being scummy people.
2.  My garage is a woodshop.  It is the main reason why I live in a house instead of an apartment. 
3.  Few things are worse than being a thief.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4573 on: January 17, 2018, 09:35:35 AM »
I don't know if I would go as far a getting riled up, but I would not like someone telling me to park in my garage to stop thieves. 

1.  I am not in the wrong for not parking in my garage, the thieves are in the wrong and are being scummy people.
2.  My garage is a woodshop.  It is the main reason why I live in a house instead of an apartment. 

Ah you beat me to it. I judge people who park in the garage. Where do you put your table saw, welder, engine hoist, et al? You just have an entire building just to put a car in? What a waste.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4574 on: January 17, 2018, 10:02:51 AM »

Ah you beat me to it. I judge people who park in the garage. Where do you put your table saw, welder, engine hoist, et al? You just have an entire building just to put a car in? What a waste.
Nah man, the garage is for the chest freezers, squat rack, and dog grooming table.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4575 on: January 17, 2018, 10:45:00 AM »

Nah man, the garage is for the chest freezers, squat rack, and dog grooming table.

Replace dog grooming table with bicycles, and we have the same garage =P Well, those and the gymnastics rings.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4576 on: January 17, 2018, 11:00:55 AM »

Replace dog grooming table with bicycles, and we have the same garage =P Well, those and the gymnastics rings.

Our double garage has an extra room beside it, my guess is 6 x 2,5 m2. That is where we keep some of the bicycles and all the technical tools. Our garage doesn't have finished inner walks. So we keep the chain saw and some other stuff in corners.

No, thiefs have no business stealing your car of your bicycle, no matter whether it is parked inside or outside.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4577 on: January 17, 2018, 04:20:05 PM »

Literally have all these things in my garage and it only takes 1 out of the 3 spaces.  Haven't even filled the rafter space yet, and I'm already embarrassed by the amount of hoarding I do

I agree that people should feel safe to park in their driveway.  That doesn't make it a smart thing to do, especially with old junkers that don't have an ignition interlock (these are orders of magnitude greater targets for theft/joyriding)

Before you say, "well you just have a big garage," all my neighbors have similar sized garages so I can judge them.  Many have three cars parked in the driveway in front of their three-car garage, plus or minus something on the street.  Sorry, you have too much consumer bullshit.  Don't forget which site you are on.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 04:25:09 PM by dragoncar »

EngineeringFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4578 on: January 17, 2018, 06:29:57 PM »

My table saw is right next to the drill press and the shelf with the rest my tools. On the other side of the garage is my workbench and bicycle rack. And right in the middle is my car! In fact, everything in my garage has something in common: I spent hard earned money on it, and don't want it to be stolen or damaged. The welder lives at my friend's house, because it's his, and he lets me use it because I let him use my table saw/drill press/sander/etc. Same goes for pretty much every other tool I don't own...

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4579 on: January 17, 2018, 07:52:29 PM »
Do you like living in Tucson, EngineeringFI? I grew up there, but I moved away.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4580 on: January 18, 2018, 02:37:10 AM »
We're in the middle of a storm and the fences on both sides of the garage have come down already. The fence on one side is from wood and it's easy to fix - it has fallen over several times already. The neighbour on that side prefers to spend his money on weed instead of on his garden. The other one was from concrete and I don't think it's fixable. The neighbour on that side also likes to have a neat-looking garden, so it looks like we're going to have to spend money on a garden fence.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4581 on: January 18, 2018, 06:25:38 AM »

Ha????

You park your bikes in your basement, so you have a healthy warm-up exercise every time you take them out!

EngineeringFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4582 on: January 18, 2018, 06:31:39 AM »

It has its pros and cons just like anywhere I guess. I grew up in Colorado, so I admit I miss having actual seasons. Tucson has plenty to do outside and is good cycling weather for almost the entire year (you just have to get out early in summer). I wish our roads were in better condition and the city is working hard to fix that. Tucson did go through a pretty rough period with the 2008-2009 real estate bubble, and is arguably still recovering from that, but it gets better every year. I don't think I'll stay here once I reach FIRE because the summers are just too hot for me and I need to see snow once in awhile. I'll probably give Flagstaff a try for a few years if I don't immediately move back to Colorado.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4583 on: January 18, 2018, 08:39:21 AM »
We're in the middle of a storm and the fences on both sides of the garage have come down already. The fence on one side is from wood and it's easy to fix - it has fallen over several times already. The neighbour on that side prefers to spend his money on weed instead of on his garden. The other one was from concrete and I don't think it's fixable. The neighbour on that side also likes to have a neat-looking garden, so it looks like we're going to have to spend money on a garden fence.

Wait, how does a concrete fence fall down? I'm picturing basically a concrete wall, and it would have to be pretty bad to fall over in a storm.

Please send said storm my way - I need to do something about my fence, and would much prefer insurance to pick up the cost.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4584 on: January 18, 2018, 11:33:41 AM »

Wait, how does a concrete fence fall down? I'm picturing basically a concrete wall, and it would have to be pretty bad to fall over in a storm.

Please send said storm my way - I need to do something about my fence, and would much prefer insurance to pick up the cost.

It was the heaviest storm in 30 years over here. It's a fence like this   and one panel just completely fell out. There's a 1 - meter wide gap in the middle of our fence now. The first time the other, wooden fence came down we claimed it on insurance and they paid €50, I'm not sure what they're going to pay for this one. We've talked to that neighbour and we're going to replace it together in spring, now we just need to g talk to the other neighbour. He has a large dog so waiting until spring is not an option.

You can absolutely have the storm, I'm tired of the bad weather we've had for weeks. Three people died today from the weather. My s/o probably isn't going to make it home tonight because so many trees came down there are no trains anywhere in the country. He's 4 hours from home for work so unless he can hitch a ride to our city, he's going to sleep on a friend's couch. Well, at least he's in a place where we have friends. The roof of my mum's porch was ripped off and severely damaged the rest of her roof (but that will be covered by insurance).

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4585 on: January 18, 2018, 12:05:28 PM »

It has its pros and cons just like anywhere I guess. I grew up in Colorado, so I admit I miss having actual seasons. Tucson has plenty to do outside and is good cycling weather for almost the entire year (you just have to get out early in summer). I wish our roads were in better condition and the city is working hard to fix that. Tucson did go through a pretty rough period with the 2008-2009 real estate bubble, and is arguably still recovering from that, but it gets better every year. I don't think I'll stay here once I reach FIRE because the summers are just too hot for me and I need to see snow once in awhile. I'll probably give Flagstaff a try for a few years if I don't immediately move back to Colorado.

Flagstaff is lovely. A little more Colorado-like. I think it can be hard to find a job there, but that matters not if you are retired. My aunt and uncle live in Flagstaff. I love to visit them there, but it's been a while. All their kids ended up moving to Phoenix or out of state once they were finished with school and needed jobs. That my be why I have the impression there is not a lot of work there.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4586 on: January 19, 2018, 10:09:00 AM »

Ha????

You park your bikes in your basement, so you have a healthy warm-up exercise every time you take them out!

I live in Oregon. We don't *do* basements here. The water level is approximately 0.5" below ground ;) Basements are a leaking, cracking, mold NIGHTMARE here, and are quite uncommon. (Bedrock is very far down, a lot of areas are historically marshy, so settling is a big issue here too). At least, that's what I've been told the reason for no basements are by family members who do general contracting work.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4587 on: January 19, 2018, 10:42:56 AM »

We've actually got our bicycles in the garage too.  Sadly no gymnastics rings though.  (One-car garage by the way.)

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #4588 on: January 19, 2018, 12:29:50 PM »
Had a new MPP last night:

Watching a youtube video about meal prep, but when the vlogger's total bill was $100+ (USD) a week for M-F meals (3 meals a day, 1 snack, and 1 dessert), for ONLY ONE PERSON, I felt disappointed.

More generic version of this MPP: You can't appreciate semi good concepts online because you have seen a better/more optimized concept here.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4589 on: January 19, 2018, 12:32:15 PM »

Watching a youtube video about meal prep, but when the vlogger's total bill was $100+ (USD) a week for M-F meals (3 meals a day, 1 snack, and 1 dessert), for ONLY ONE PERSON, I felt disappointed.

More generic version of this MPP: You can't appreciate semi good concepts online because you have seen a better/more optimized concept here.
Ha!  I know the feeling.  When someone at work mentions proudly turning the thermostat down to 70 to save money, it's hard not to think "do u even lift bro?"

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #4590 on: January 19, 2018, 12:39:37 PM »
@ketchup, actually LOL'd. Thank you.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)hu t
« Reply #4591 on: January 19, 2018, 03:34:45 PM »

Ha!  I know the feeling.  When someone at work mentions proudly turning the thermostat down to 70 to save money, it's hard not to think "do u even lift bro?"

Of course not, if he lifted his metabolism would be high and he would have to turn on the AC

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4592 on: January 19, 2018, 09:10:42 PM »
My mpp today: Changing my 401k contribution % in preparation of my bonus payment and being disappointed that the limit is 75% of my pay. Every year the same feeling. :(

Fortunately there appears to be no limit on mine - the January paycheck was >90% into the 457.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #4593 on: January 20, 2018, 02:53:32 PM »
@Imma that storm and bad weather sounds scary/bad :( Hope your SO has gotten home safely now.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #4594 on: January 20, 2018, 09:32:52 PM »

Was he startled, or does that store/location have 'Scanning Code of Practice'?  We have that in [some parts of] Canada - if something rings up for too much, you can have it for free up to a max $10 off. In reality, only certain stores follow it and you have to TELL THEM you know about the policy. Otherwise they just fix the price and let you go on your merry way.

From Google: here's the page for BC (not where I live, but the first search hit that matches) https://www.consumerprotectionbc.ca/2014/07/scanning-code-of-practice-what-you-need-to-know/

edit: spelling
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 01:06:52 PM by halftimer »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4595 on: January 20, 2018, 09:58:27 PM »
Switched jobs, so have to deal with everything from the previous job. 401k, pension, HSA, etc. 401k is rolled over into Vanguard.

Pension paperwork received, reviewed, and discovered that I can pull the measly $9.5k out and dump it into the IRA. Filled out that paperwork, sent it in, and notified Vanguard that it should be showing up.

But the HSA may be the death of me. I can't figure out if the new HSA allows the old one to be rolled over to it. I also can't figure out if the old one is allowed to be rolled over to a new one. Mostly because the websites are so incredibly unhelpful that I can't find any of the paperwork that would tell me this information, much less how to do it. So I will have to call and ask.

Why is being organized so damn hard?

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4596 on: January 21, 2018, 01:07:04 AM »
Switched jobs, so have to deal with everything from the previous job. 401k, pension, HSA, etc. 401k is rolled over into Vanguard.

Pension paperwork received, reviewed, and discovered that I can pull the measly $9.5k out and dump it into the IRA. Filled out that paperwork, sent it in, and notified Vanguard that it should be showing up.

But the HSA may be the death of me. I can't figure out if the new HSA allows the old one to be rolled over to it. I also can't figure out if the old one is allowed to be rolled over to a new one. Mostly because the websites are so incredibly unhelpful that I can't find any of the paperwork that would tell me this information, much less how to do it. So I will have to call and ask.

Why is being organized so damn hard?
Because they don't want you to leave them and lose the business?

You do know why the complaints form is always the best hidden?

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4597 on: January 21, 2018, 03:16:40 AM »
@Imma that storm and bad weather sounds scary/bad :( Hope your SO has gotten home safely now.

We're allright now :) Only a bit of material damage. It's a bit scary though - while storms have always happened occasionally where I live, over the last 10 years it has become notably worse. I'm not even 30 and climate change is going so fast I can see it happening with my own eyes. Temperatures are higher in winter and summer and extreme weather has become a lot more extreme.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4598 on: January 21, 2018, 08:15:34 AM »
  On Friday ay 3:00 when the stock market closed, I had $6,501 in stock market gain, my daughter called at 3:05, her tuition payment of $6,278, needs to be paid. Leaving my with $223.00. I didn't even have time to savor the warmth!

PepperPotts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4599 on: January 21, 2018, 11:50:08 AM »
My 12 yr old daughter was doing some math problems online just now (ALEKS).  There were some word problems regarding budgeting, to teach finding a percentage.  In one problem, a man made $65000 a year, and spent $7150 on clothing, according to his pie chart budget, but only $4500 on savings.  She had to calculate his savings rate.  She just couldn't believe this dude would spend more on clothing than savings!  "He's stupid!"