Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086684 times)

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #3850 on: May 28, 2017, 04:54:56 PM »
Thoughtful colleague: "I've been sent a discount voucher for a spa day for up to four people. It's only £150 per person and it includes afternoon tea, two pampering treatments, and being able to spend the whole day there just relaxing. You and I could go, and pay for (two female employees who have gone beyond the call of duty) to come with us as a treat, and leave the boys to manage by themselves for the day."

Me: Splutter. Cough. Choke. "How about we just give (the two female employees who have gone beyond the call of duty) £150 each as a cash bonus that they can spend as they please or put towards their retirement fund?"

(Bless her, we've worked together for a very long time and my colleague still hasn't got her head round the fact that "being pampered" is my idea of torture, and keeps offering recommendations for beauticians and cosmetic ranges and spa retreats. I'm sure she's only trying to help.)

The fun part is that I now have a few male colleagues suggest spa treatment / massage / manicure day as a group bonding activity.   (cough sputter.  couldn't we rent kayaks instead?  Is this worse than the ubiquitous golf?)

The "male" suggestion to balance out spa day at my last office was paintball.  People returned to work really sore and with giant bruises on their bodies.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3851 on: May 28, 2017, 08:15:27 PM »

The "male" suggestion to balance out spa day at my last office was paintball.  People returned to work really sore and with giant bruises on their bodies.

Well, they need to develop better technique ;)

nara

• Stubble
« Reply #3852 on: May 28, 2017, 09:01:32 PM »
My husband and I own a small business in a professional field. We are friendly with some of the the owners of competitor companies. They all  drive Acuras, BMWs and Teslas. We drive cars that are over 10 years old and wear pretty much the same clothes to work everyday. Our employees seem a little suspicious of why we seem to be so poor. One even commented about the vacuum we brought in to clean the office the other day and how she doesn't know how to work it because it's so old. We talk to them about early retirement.. but they are just starting out their careers and not interested. They don't even participate in the SIMPLE-IRA plan with 3% match that we offer them :(

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3853 on: May 29, 2017, 01:04:37 AM »
Thoughtful colleague: "I've been sent a discount voucher for a spa day for up to four people. It's only £150 per person and it includes afternoon tea, two pampering treatments, and being able to spend the whole day there just relaxing. You and I could go, and pay for (two female employees who have gone beyond the call of duty) to come with us as a treat, and leave the boys to manage by themselves for the day."

Me: Splutter. Cough. Choke. "How about we just give (the two female employees who have gone beyond the call of duty) £150 each as a cash bonus that they can spend as they please or put towards their retirement fund?"

(Bless her, we've worked together for a very long time and my colleague still hasn't got her head round the fact that "being pampered" is my idea of torture, and keeps offering recommendations for beauticians and cosmetic ranges and spa retreats. I'm sure she's only trying to help.)

What is this word, spa? I feel like you're starting to a say a word and you're not finishing it. Spaghetti? Are you taking me to a spaghetti day?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3854 on: May 29, 2017, 02:45:20 AM »
What is this word, spa? I feel like you're starting to a say a word and you're not finishing it. Spaghetti? Are you taking me to a spaghetti day?

Spa is a place in Belgium where they have natural water wells that are supposed to be beneficial for your health and therefore there are bathing houses. In other places, like in Norway we now call luxury bathing places for a "spa resort".

In the Netherlands, if you order Spa in a bar, you get served water with bubbles.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3855 on: May 29, 2017, 02:48:20 AM »
My husband and I own a small business in a professional field. We are friendly with some of the the owners of competitor companies. They all  drive Acuras, BMWs and Teslas. We drive cars that are over 10 years old and wear pretty much the same clothes to work everyday. Our employees seem a little suspicious of why we seem to be so poor. One even commented about the vacuum we brought in to clean the office the other day and how she doesn't know how to work it because it's so old. We talk to them about early retirement.. but they are just starting out their careers and not interested. They don't even participate in the SIMPLE-IRA plan with 3% match that we offer them :(

We know why you're bringing gan old vacuum cleaner in but with no context if I was an employee I'd be wondering how much is left in the till for payroll if the bosses appeared/dressed poor, drove beater cars and used visibly old cleaning equipment.

It doesn't engender confidence from the average employee, notwithstanding you're a good mustachian.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3856 on: May 29, 2017, 07:10:34 AM »

We know why you're bringing gan old vacuum cleaner in but with no context if I was an employee I'd be wondering how much is left in the till for payroll if the bosses appeared/dressed poor, drove beater cars and used visibly old cleaning equipment.

It doesn't engender confidence from the average employee, notwithstanding you're a good mustachian.

I agree with marty998. As an employee I wouldn't want to use old beaten stuff, just because the boss wants to earn more retirement money. At a working place I would want to use a vaccuum cleaner that works well and intuitive. The same for a company car, that should be good enough to be working and reliable and be a bit presentable. If it is your private cars, then it shouldn't matter. But remember that your customers might also get the impression that business is not running well. Employees might get the same idea and be afraid of their job security and find somewhere else to work.
Wearing the same clothes to work is another issue. That is called a capsule wardrobe.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3857 on: May 29, 2017, 07:34:58 AM »

In the US, a spa is a place where you go to get massages, facials, manicures, pedicures, waxing, make-up services, and/or hair services.  A spa day would mean you are getting pampered with multiple of these services, and they often include a light mid-day meal.  A fancy place will usually have a sauna, steam room, or jetted tubs that you can just "hang out" in after/between services so that you spend your whole day in relaxation.

People often also call their hot tubs a "spa", but that is less common usage, IMO.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3858 on: May 29, 2017, 08:01:55 AM »
I think a couple people need to have their sarcasm meters checked!

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3859 on: May 29, 2017, 10:31:33 AM »

[Insert joke about whether it's cheaper to DIY your sarcasm meter check or whether you might as well get the filter changed at a garage while you're running errands in town.]

jordanread

« Reply #3860 on: May 29, 2017, 11:23:34 AM »

[Insert joke about whether it's cheaper to DIY your sarcasm meter check or whether you might as well get the filter changed at a garage while you're running errands in town.]

Meh, the filter is almost never the issue. Usually it's just low on fluid, and that most certainly is a DIY item.

Kenbo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3861 on: May 29, 2017, 11:29:15 AM »
Yep, I always top off the blinker fluid at the same time too.  I mean they're right next to each other and seem to get low at the same rate.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3862 on: May 29, 2017, 12:46:01 PM »

I am laughing my ass off!  This was quite entertaining :-)

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #3863 on: May 29, 2017, 02:06:03 PM »
I brought my kid to the pool party at an aquatic center.  The kid noticed that we didn't bring any swim goggles.  Yeah, working parent, less than 24-hour notice, we haven't been to a pool since, what, last August?  We brought a freakin' beach towel, have some appreciation.   Five minutes later the kid informs me that that the aquatic center sells goggles.  No, that won't do because we already have a pair at home, we just forgot to bring it.  By now a couple of other parents are looking at me funny.  Finally the kid spots his good friend and so it happens the friend's mom brought a spare pair.  I'm relieved and happily bask in the glares of disapproval.  The terrible parent who mistreats the child by refusing to buy a pair of overpriced goggles.  Oh, the nerve!

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3864 on: May 29, 2017, 03:09:31 PM »
I brought my kid to the pool party at an aquatic center.  The kid noticed that we didn't bring any swim goggles. 

My local pool has a lost and found for goggles and I've had people just tell me to go there if I've misplaced mine.  But that depends on whether they really are pushing the goggle sales at the center.

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #3865 on: May 29, 2017, 03:55:42 PM »
I brought my kid to the pool party at an aquatic center.  The kid noticed that we didn't bring any swim goggles. 

My local pool has a lost and found for goggles and I've had people just tell me to go there if I've misplaced mine.  But that depends on whether they really are pushing the goggle sales at the center.

I wish the aquatic center my kid and I went to did.  It would be a great option for many a busy family.  But, alas, they were pushing the merchandise.  Sigh...

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3866 on: May 29, 2017, 04:19:51 PM »

Oh, this is BRILLIANT! Please may I borrow it for next time? Because there WILL be a next time.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3867 on: May 30, 2017, 01:04:26 AM »
I brought my kid to the pool party at an aquatic center.  The kid noticed that we didn't bring any swim goggles.  Yeah, working parent, less than 24-hour notice, we haven't been to a pool since, what, last August?  We brought a freakin' beach towel, have some appreciation.   Five minutes later the kid informs me that that the aquatic center sells goggles.  No, that won't do because we already have a pair at home, we just forgot to bring it.  By now a couple of other parents are looking at me funny.  Finally the kid spots his good friend and so it happens the friend's mom brought a spare pair.  I'm relieved and happily bask in the glares of disapproval.  The terrible parent who mistreats the child by refusing to buy a pair of overpriced goggles.  Oh, the nerve!

I feel for you. It has indeed become the norm to just buy a second one. And I am pretty sure the swimming center has a pile of goggles and swimwear that people have forgotten. But if you ask to borrow one of these, they will probably deny it, because they sell a competing product.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3868 on: May 31, 2017, 04:31:54 PM »

Oh, this is BRILLIANT! Please may I borrow it for next time? Because there WILL be a next time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krmpa6sTaUI

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3869 on: May 31, 2017, 08:43:31 PM »
...We brought a freakin' beach towel, have some appreciation.

This bit cracked me up.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #3870 on: June 01, 2017, 08:13:04 AM »
My store marked down the organic milk - to 38 cents for a half gallon carton!

I bought 4, which I figured was the limit of what I could get home on my bike. Got home, and had to do the jigsaw puzzle of fitting them into the freezer. I managed to stack them up on their sides so they fit perfectly from the bottom to top of my above the fridge freezer in the basement.

I forgot that milk expands when it freezes. I couldn't force them out and had to confess my sins to the husband and beg for help. I hate that.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #3871 on: June 02, 2017, 07:55:43 AM »
Here are mine for today:

- Constantly reminding my wife that we "could" pursue buying a bigger house, more things, etc.; but, do we really want to spend all of our time working (and stressed) so that we can come home and be too tired to enjoy said house?  We are going to FIRE and move in a month and she has a hard time wrapping her head around a simpler life even though we already live it for the most part.
- Just not giving a **** about what's going on here at work: re-org/people potentially losing their jobs in the coming months.  I feel for some of them; but guess what?  I'll be leaving in a month.

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3872 on: June 02, 2017, 08:31:45 AM »
I have been contributing After-tax money into my 401K and doing an in-plan Roth conversion the day after my paycheck (the day the contribution is processed) which happened to be yesterday.  Thanks to the nice gains and new all time high of the S&P 500 yesterday, I now have to pay taxes on ~$10.00 worth of gains before my contribution was converted.  Tiny little MPP.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3873 on: June 02, 2017, 03:58:22 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krmpa6sTaUI

Sometimes - just sometimes - being totally out of touch with popular culture sucks!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #3874 on: June 02, 2017, 04:01:13 PM »
I'm sad.  The company I work for just filed bankruptcy, and not only did they do away with the company match (4%) but they just sent out a letter telling us that there is now a 0.84% fee on all assets in the 401-K.

WTF?!  They have great low cost choices, I did not see this coming!  I expected to lose the match, but this is just not cool.

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #3875 on: June 02, 2017, 09:40:55 PM »
I'm sad.  The company I work for just filed bankruptcy, and not only did they do away with the company match (4%) but they just sent out a letter telling us that there is now a 0.84% fee on all assets in the 401-K.

WTF?!  They have great low cost choices, I did not see this coming!  I expected to lose the match, but this is just not cool.
Ugh, I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you.  Corporate bankruptcy can be an ugly business.  Hang in there - and keep your resume ready.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3876 on: June 03, 2017, 01:35:10 AM »
I've read all the good books in my local small library and now have to drive 15 minutes to the larger one to browse. To be fair, I make a list when I browse, and then order them for pick up in the smaller, closer library in lots of 5 or 6 at a time.

I can afford to pay less for grocery items by buying large amounts of great, 6 monthly type specials on products I use often. The cat finds it annoying that most of it is stored under the bed.

I'm almost out of clean clothes because it's been wet weather for AGES and I sort of don't consider the dryer as an actual usable appliance and only really have it because a friend who updates her european appliances every few years gave it to me. I might actually use it tonight.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 01:41:12 AM by AnnaGrowsAMustache »

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #3877 on: June 03, 2017, 06:35:58 AM »

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you.  Corporate bankruptcy can be an ugly business.  Hang in there - and keep your resume ready.
I've been updating it this week :-)

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3878 on: June 03, 2017, 02:34:36 PM »
Half our YTD spending is taxes (because we have cut back in other areas).

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3879 on: June 03, 2017, 10:57:37 PM »
Same here. Though I don't really treat income taxes as "spending".

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3880 on: June 04, 2017, 07:23:25 AM »
Same here. Though I don't really treat income taxes as "spending".

Yeah, for the past several years, the amount I've paid in the sum of various taxes (Fed, State, SS, Medicare, Property Tax, Sales Tax) far exceeds the amount I've actually spent on all other things combined.  I do have a high income in a high-tax location (Chicago) though.

For the purposes of my spending tracking for being able to FI/RE, I don't include most of these taxes as "spending" because I anticipate being in a much lower LCOL area later after I pull the plug on my corporate job.

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #3881 on: June 04, 2017, 05:06:16 PM »
Neither one of us is feeling well, and we were discussing what to do for dinner. Spouse suggested delivery, but we realized that we don't even know what places deliver nearby or what types of food we could order for delivery...We did have pizza delivered a couple years ago...

Of course, if we were good mustachians, we would have backup food in the freezer that we could eat. We do have some uncooked stuff in there, but defrosting is haaaaaard. We'll probably do our fallback of grocery store hot bar.

Update: used a homemade crust I made and froze the other day to make pizza. Victory!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 07:25:51 PM by Ebrat »

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3882 on: June 05, 2017, 12:26:36 PM »
I've read all the good books in my local small library and now have to drive 15 minutes to the larger one to browse. To be fair, I make a list when I browse, and then order them for pick up in the smaller, closer library in lots of 5 or 6 at a time.

Wait, doesn't your library allow you to access all of their collection online?  That way you can browse from home, then put a book on hold to pick up at the library closer to you?  Do not all libraries do this?  I can see the collection from our entire county online, then get an email alert when the book is at the closest library and ready to be picked up.  I can even do inter-library loans online...

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #3883 on: June 05, 2017, 02:17:55 PM »
I'm almost out of clean clothes because it's been wet weather for AGES and I sort of don't consider the dryer as an actual usable appliance and only really have it because a friend who updates her european appliances every few years gave it to me. I might actually use it tonight.

Heresy!

Only joking, of course.

JayhawkRacer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3884 on: June 05, 2017, 03:05:21 PM »

Wait, doesn't your library allow you to access all of their collection online?  That way you can browse from home, then put a book on hold to pick up at the library closer to you?  Do not all libraries do this?  I can see the collection from our entire county online, then get an email alert when the book is at the closest library and ready to be picked up.  I can even do inter-library loans online...

Not only do most libraries do this, but many now have extensive E-book collections you can download (my local library uses an e-reader app called Zinio) to your mobile devices for free. And you'll never forget to return them on time because they just expire after a few weeks!

Anon in Alaska

• Stubble
« Reply #3885 on: June 06, 2017, 02:46:56 AM »
Could not save $1.99 at the grocery store by downloading an e-coupon to my smart phone. I don't have a smart phone or a data package (saving at least $20 a month). I would still have liked to get the coupon discount too. (The coupon had a one item limit, so it wasn't worth getting a friend to come and download it to their phone.)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3886 on: June 07, 2017, 08:15:35 AM »

What is your spaghetti policy?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3887 on: June 07, 2017, 10:29:34 AM »
I gave myself permission to spend extra "fun money" this past weekend because it was my 40th birthday and I wanted to splash out. I sort of accidentally saved up room in my budget during May (I can't even help it any more!) and then people kept buying me birthday drinks and birthday meals, and then I got really sick so had to cancel two days of my Epic Birthday Fun Time, and in the end I came in under budget. Not under my "fun extra money" budget, but under my regular budget. :-/  Even though I dropped $65 on alcohol.

Maybe I should try again next weekend...

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #3888 on: June 07, 2017, 10:47:04 AM »
Maybe I should try again next weekend...

Yes, keep trying until you spend it all out.  ;)

Happy birthday, too.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3889 on: June 10, 2017, 08:27:34 AM »
I picked a for me new species of edible mushroom today, Marasmius Oreades. About 8 pieces. But I wasn't sure how fast to cook them. They had to be cooked fast, but I din't want to eat them yet. Found out online that I should have cooked them immediately and could have eaten them later. It took too much time before I found out, so I had to ditch them to be on the safe side.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #3890 on: June 10, 2017, 12:36:33 PM »
I picked a for me new species of edible mushroom today, Marasmius Oreades. About 8 pieces. But I wasn't sure how fast to cook them. They had to be cooked fast, but I din't want to eat them yet. Found out online that I should have cooked them immediately and could have eaten them later. It took too much time before I found out, so I had to ditch them to be on the safe side.

Can you find more?  Now you know how quickly then need to be cooked.

My MPP:  We've switched to using a rewards card, buying a lot less in general, and buying almost nothing with cash.  I went to the ATM after a long hiatus and I couldn't remember my PIN.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #3891 on: June 10, 2017, 05:57:16 PM »
I had to reduce the amount I salary sacrifice to my retirement account for my next 2 pay cycles as I'm getting paid for leave I didn't take and I have to be careful not to go over the cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3892 on: June 12, 2017, 08:53:01 AM »
I've recently had TWO experiences where people insisted on paying for my part of things, seemingly because they think they're in a better spot financially than me? Like "Oh, don't worry about it, I'll cover this drink, my treat."

Look, I'm not struggling, I want to pay for my own drink! Just because I have a small house, a family supported by one income, bike everywhere and shop at Goodwill, doesn't mean you need to buy me a drink. Those are the reasons I can easily afford to buy my own drinks!

In both cases I'm pretty sure I'm doing better financially: one friend makes about the same amount but is going to grad school, another has had some recent health setbacks. I shouldn't assume, though...

kelvin

• Stubble
« Reply #3893 on: June 12, 2017, 09:29:48 AM »
I've recently had TWO experiences where people insisted on paying for my part of things, seemingly because they think they're in a better spot financially than me? Like "Oh, don't worry about it, I'll cover this drink, my treat."

Look, I'm not struggling, I want to pay for my own drink! Just because I have a small house, a family supported by one income, bike everywhere and shop at Goodwill, doesn't mean you need to buy me a drink. Those are the reasons I can easily afford to buy my own drinks!

In both cases I'm pretty sure I'm doing better financially: one friend makes about the same amount but is going to grad school, another has had some recent health setbacks. I shouldn't assume, though...

Bwhahahah

They probably think you're poorer than you are. It might be time to buy new shoes, or a shirt on sale that fits well, or something.

In the meantime, hey, free drinks!

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #3894 on: June 27, 2017, 03:08:57 AM »

Bwhahahah

They probably think you're poorer than you are. It might be time to buy new shoes, or a shirt on sale that fits well, or something.

Being mustachian does not mean you have to wear poorly maintained shoes. My last pair is about 3 years old and was re-soled last year because the rubber got damaged somehow (35 for new soles or 120 for the shoes so easy choice).
These shoes are also the easiest most relaxing pair to wear I've had in a long time. They're black leather so for 20 worth of paste/leather cream to clean and maintain and these shoes wil survive a few more years :)

Now, on to my problem: I've been in the hostpital at the beginning of this year, my insurance had a discount for a higher deductible but my stay maxed out that deductible (still, counting all years I did this I'm still in the plus). I was waiting for the invoice on it for about 6 months and thought It'd take a while so I put some money in my mortgage. In the meantime, they sent the invoice a day after as well as an invoice for my wife's dentistry (not covered).
Normally this is no issue but the combined cost had me logging in to the insurance company's site and asking for a payment plan -__- It's not that we can't cover all of that in one go (6k for the mortgage, 1.4k for the health insurance) but I'd rather keep some on hand for unexpected expenses. Fortunatly, the payment plan is only 2 months and with no additional cost ^__^

kelvin

• Stubble
« Reply #3895 on: June 27, 2017, 07:48:01 AM »

Bwhahahah

Being mustachian does not mean you have to wear poorly maintained shoes. My last pair is about 3 years old and was re-soled last year because the rubber got damaged somehow (35 for new soles or 120 for the shoes so easy choice).
These shoes are also the easiest most relaxing pair to wear I've had in a long time. They're black leather so for 20 worth of paste/leather cream to clean and maintain and these shoes will survive a few more years :)

My point was that it might be time for Merula to invest in a "status symbol" that would help defray the assumption of poverty. Which is kind of a losing proposition, as some people value cars, and others value watches, etc. Shoes and shirts were the first two that came to mind which a mustachian might consider a worthy investment.

You seem to have the shoes part down pat, Wauske. Some of my co-workers are just now catching on that cobblers are a thing. *shakes head*

justaguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3896 on: June 27, 2017, 07:56:02 AM »
I find myself sitting in a lot of meetings that make me want to cry/scream.  What gets me through them is knowing that when I am the age of most of the other people in the room – I won’t have to sit in them anymore because I’ll be FIRE! 

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #3897 on: June 27, 2017, 08:04:46 AM »

Bwhahahah

These shoes are also the easiest most relaxing pair to wear I've had in a long time. They're black leather so for 20 worth of paste/leather cream to clean and maintain and these shoes will survive a few more years :)

My point was that it might be time for Merula to invest in a "status symbol" that would help defray the assumption of poverty. Which is kind of a losing proposition, as some people value cars, and others value watches, etc. Shoes and shirts were the first two that came to mind which a mustachian might consider a worthy investment.

You seem to have the shoes part down pat, Wauske. Some of my co-workers are just now catching on that cobblers are a thing. *shakes head*

Well, any status symbol that would impress a non-mustachian would likely be un-mustachian by definition. And that's the rub, isn't it? We are mustachian specifically because our status symbol is the dot on the horizon for which we are scrimping and saving... Most people cannot properly conceive the long term goals which is also why most exit the stock markets at the lowest point and buy back in when it's high...

Regarding the shoes, yes. I had a discussion about that with DW too who is cheap rather than frugal. I did convince her that 35 for a repair (which, admittedly, can be short lived if the soles did take properly to the glue) is generally a better deal than 120 for a new pair of shoes with likely the same replacement cycle.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3898 on: June 27, 2017, 09:47:42 AM »

Well, any status symbol that would impress a non-mustachian would likely be un-mustachian by definition. And that's the rub, isn't it? We are mustachian specifically because our status symbol is the dot on the horizon for which we are scrimping and saving... Most people cannot properly conceive the long term goals which is also why most exit the stock markets at the lowest point and buy back in when it's high...

Regarding the shoes, yes. I had a discussion about that with DW too who is cheap rather than frugal. I did convince her that 35 for a repair (which, admittedly, can be short lived if the soles did take properly to the glue) is generally a better deal than 120 for a new pair of shoes with likely the same replacement cycle.

I probably shouldn't buy new shoes. I have a drawer full at home AND a drawer full at work. (My husband complains about how many shoes I have and he doesn't even SEE the work drawer.) I could stand to pick up some new shirts, though. Well, not *actually* new, but Goodwill new-to-me.

I think the whole category of "buy it for life" is both mustachian and a potential status symbol. My watch would fall into this category, as would my work bag. Maybe I could get something else in this category? A new-to-me bike? Anyone have a suggestion for a fancy-looking hybrid or road bike that would be relatively affordable used and appropriate for someone with short legs?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 10:26:30 AM by merula »

fidreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3899 on: June 27, 2017, 09:49:40 AM »

Bwhahahah

I can so relate, but with my father.  I recently took a leave of absence...phase one of early retirement...and my dad was surprised, but to his credit didn't question it or try to talk me out of it.  On Father's Day we had a small barbecue maybe 10 people, and my father kept trying to offer me cash to defray the costs of the food.  Now mind you my husband still works and has a military pension.  My father, on the other hand is in his late seventies, still working, few assets.  He is concerned that we can't afford a few hot dogs and hamburgers.  Wait until my husband leaves his job in a couple years; that will really throw him over the edge. 

I find it very amusing when non-mustachians worry over the finances of mustachians.  ; )