Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086704 times)

Michael792

• Stubble
    • Rising Ascendant
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #350 on: August 21, 2014, 07:57:45 AM »
Riding your bike to events, and receiving the offer of a ride home followed by weird looks when you say you will actually enjoy your ride home.  It's not deliberate masochism!

I get this one a lot

Once while I was riding to work in the winter, someone in a minivan slowed down next to me, rolled down their window, and yelled out asking if I wanted/needed a ride.  I was already fully dressed for the weather, and I probably would have been to warm in their van. 

Most people assume that I must have lost my license or don't have a car or something.  (It also doesn't help that I layer up and 'look like a hobo' instead of buying fancy spandex riding gear)

I thanked her for the offer, but told her I was just fine as I was, inspite of the 'polar vortex' weather we'd been having.

I get this from coworkers every time it starts to sprinkle out.  OMG nacho do you need a ride?  I can give you a ride home in the work truck.  Uh, no thanks, it's ok if I get wet.  I have towels and clean clothes at home.

I'm not even allowed an umbrella in uniform, I'm pretty sure. And the issue wet weather gear makes you sweat more than it keeps rain off. Better just to walk around in normal uniform and get soaked. Keep everything in ziplocks, and the monsoons can't really mess with you too bad.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #351 on: August 21, 2014, 08:40:25 AM »
Had to fill up my vehicle this morning for the first time in a month.  Got to the pump and the price was 1.32 a Liter.  I gasp at how this has gotten to the person filling up next to me.  He states that the price is actually down 5 cents a liter from eailier this week.  It make me remeber why I  bioke/bus everywhere.

jordanread

« Reply #352 on: August 21, 2014, 09:25:34 AM »
Biking home yesterday threw off my whole schedule. I ate so many bugs on the way, I couldn't justify cooking dinner until I was hungry again.

Lizzy B.

• Stubble
« Reply #353 on: August 21, 2014, 09:40:46 AM »
Mustachian problem #172: Having to get creative when answering questions about your “mortgage company” that expedited our home purchase.

We moved cities to take a new job, and purchased a house with cash.  Since it was cash, everything went really quickly, and our coworkers were amazed that we were able to move in so soon.  Since we were just getting to know our coworkers, we didn’t want to advertise that we paid cash, so we tried to equivocate.  Ended up saying that since it was the same mortgage company we’d used in the past, they could speed up the approval process.  Technically true, but still…

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #354 on: August 21, 2014, 09:44:51 AM »
At this rate, I seem to be acquiring a new one each decade. They all have their purpose.

A bike every decade? You know, it was for decadence like this that Rome fell...

Happy Little Chipmunk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #355 on: August 21, 2014, 09:52:45 AM »
When walking out of the bank after a discussion of our ahead-of-schedule retirement planning, my shoes fell apart. Only I noticed because they still somehow clung to my feet, but when we got to our 13 year old Prius and I told my husband we bust a gut and I drove home barefoot.

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #356 on: August 21, 2014, 11:11:59 AM »
Accidentally set up direct deposit to the wrong account, one that's not linked to online banking. That was two months ago, and it looks like I may actually have to go down to the bank and change things in another month or two. :-)

The payroll person at my wife's job fat fingered an extra digit into her bank account number, and he never noticed the software wouldn't let him write the last digit in, and it went into some other account at my wife's bank for several months.... we didn't notice until much later when we looked and 'oh, Your account has been at the same value for a while'. 

All of her co-workers couldn't understand why this wasn't detected right away and why it wasn't an emergency...

Money Bags

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #357 on: August 21, 2014, 12:35:29 PM »
When you're ready to give up some of your old clothing, you don't get to feel generous about donating it. It's so worn out that the only place it will be accepted is in the trash.

Mine migrates to the garage where I tear it up and use it as rags when working on my 13 year old car.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #358 on: August 21, 2014, 12:47:08 PM »
When you're ready to give up some of your old clothing, you don't get to feel generous about donating it. It's so worn out that the only place it will be accepted is in the trash.

Mine migrates to the garage where I tear it up and use it as rags when working on my 13 year old car.

^^ This

Although in my house it's a two step process.  The parts nice enough to be cleaning rags in the house are snatched by DW and the scraps go to the garage. 

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #359 on: August 21, 2014, 01:33:05 PM »
- When people sit around talking about material things they want, I now get very confused and think maybe I should invent something.
- The bank keeps calling me and they're confused as to what's going on.  No debt and investment money has piled like crazy the last two years.  "Saving for a house?," they ask.  Nope.  "You really should come in and talk to an advisor."  Nope.  Once I got away from the advisors and into self-directed index funds, life really started to roll.  I think maybe one day they'll call the police saying my savings rate is impossible.   :(

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #360 on: August 21, 2014, 01:44:11 PM »
- When people sit around talking about material things they want, I now get very confused and think maybe I should invent something.
- The bank keeps calling me and they're confused as to what's going on.  No debt and investment money has piled like crazy the last two years.  "Saving for a house?," they ask.  Nope.  "You really should come in and talk to an advisor."  Nope.  Once I got away from the advisors and into self-directed index funds, life really started to roll.  I think maybe one day they'll call the police saying my savings rate is impossible.   :(
That is funny...

We really need a like button!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #361 on: August 21, 2014, 02:21:08 PM »
Quote from: solon
ROFL!

When walking out of the bank after a discussion of our ahead-of-schedule retirement planning, my shoes fell apart.
I just noticed a tiny hole in one of my T-shirts left sleeve at the ellbow. Its the third! this year. All the 3 times the left ellbow. I blame the thinker position. And my birthday was just 2 month ago. Seems I have to wait until the end of the year for a new one ;) Fortunately I had made 2 "fun" Ts last year. But I dont want to wear out the FSM... hm... problems!
Guess after a decade or so the fabric is so thin it just happens.
That also rules out donating ;)

mariarose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #362 on: August 21, 2014, 02:42:09 PM »
+1 for using and enjoying the expensive wine glasses….but not replacing them if they break.

I save money by drinking wine out of a Yahtzee tumbler from the thrift store.

Our wine/whiskey/juice glasses are repurposed Mole jars, Dona Maria brand, 8.25 ounce size.  Seriously, they are sturdy, lovely little glasses, and we like mole, so as far as I am concerned they are free.

My personal mustachian people problem is judgementalism.  Me being judgemental of almost everyone I see around me, because poor people, who come from poor people, don't seem to have an idea that things could be different, and they could make different choices. Unlike most of you, I am poor, and live in an extremely poor area, and we have different mindset problems than your neighbors/coworkers. We don't buy into having to have princess cakes, and timeshares.  No, when our monthly income arrives, we blow it on cigarettes, frozen pizza, and running our pickup trucks all over creation.  Then for 2 1/2 weeks we beg off of one another. And complain. 

I come across as strange because I am not surprised when car insurance or property taxes are due, and don't get locked into the mindset of things have always been this way, so it is the right way to be.  Seriously, if hamburger is more expensive than roast this week, then plan your meals around roast, don't insist on hamburger and then complain about the price...

This lack of empathy does not effect my friends, neighbors, coworkers, only me, so it is my people problem.  I have simply started hiding my stability (not wealth, I promise) in order to fend off the begging, but that gets pretty isolating.  I find I can't be happy when someone is expecting, because I know she can't afford to raise it.  I can't be happy when 2 people are getting married, because I know one of them is only looking to be taken care of and has no intention of growing up and learning to be a true supportive partner.

Again, these are things I know, not assumptions, but it is causing a guardedness, a jadedness, a lack of joy and optimism in my day to day encounters.  I just put my head down, keep going to work, and keep planning for the future.  I have such a fantastic relationship with my husband, but a lack social connection to anyone else here.  Sometimes I really wish I were not such a misfit, but I would not choose to be what I see around me, not for anything.  One day, maybe I can conquer the judgement.

Sorry this is not 'fun'.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 04:31:57 PM by mariarose »

jordanread

« Reply #363 on: August 21, 2014, 02:50:46 PM »
Sorry this is not 'fun'.

Yeah, jerk. :P

That is a relatively common problem around these parts. I see something about it in a good chunk of not quite related threads. Don't worry about it, it's not just you. There is a cost to being in front of the curve, it's just not financial. That's why we do meetups for those who like them.

mariarose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #364 on: August 21, 2014, 04:36:57 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, Jordanread

jordanread

« Reply #365 on: August 21, 2014, 04:52:15 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, Jordanread

Not a problem. As a misanthrope, I don't give a crap about any of that, but I understand that some people do. Also, the meetups I've gone to have been a blast. I don't know where you are located, but if it's in Colorado Springs, I'm more than willing to hang out. Also, I should be upping the amount of virtual interactions with hangouts at the G+ community. Through that, I've met theGoblinChief, Bakari, and quite a few more. It might help. Link is in my signature.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #366 on: August 21, 2014, 06:27:51 PM »
At this rate, I seem to be acquiring a new one each decade. They all have their purpose.

Be warned - my next bike purchase will be in the 2020s. Sell your stocks before then in order to survive the apocalypse.

Breaker

• Stubble
« Reply #367 on: August 21, 2014, 09:42:40 PM »
Biting my tongue to stop from asking the woman ahead of me in the checkout line at Whole Foods why she was shopping there.

Her bill was $58.+,  she paid with a few paper bills and some rolls of coins.  However, she had to return 2 or 3 items because she didn't have enough money. 

BTW, I was there because I read an article that said that WF had organic milk $2.50 cheaper per gallon than Trader Joe's.  Not true, it is the same price.

Jan

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #368 on: August 21, 2014, 09:54:41 PM »
+1 for using and enjoying the expensive wine glasses….but not replacing them if they break.

I save money by drinking wine out of a Yahtzee tumbler from the thrift store.

Our wine/whiskey/juice glasses are repurposed Mole jars, Dona Maria brand, 8.25 ounce size.  Seriously, they are sturdy, lovely little glasses, and we like mole, so as far as I am concerned they are free.

Yes!! We just moved and I can't find mole anywhere, much less Dona Maria so I can work on my wine glass collection. I'm about to order a case from Amazon.

Tectressa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #369 on: August 22, 2014, 04:02:23 AM »
I have to set a reminder in my phone to put out the trash because I forget what day it is since I don't have a work schedule anymore.

Ha, me too.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #370 on: August 22, 2014, 10:19:22 AM »
I never have anything to add to the conversation at work about current movies and celebrities.  People honestly don't understand how you can go several years between trips to the movie theaters.
My coworkers know that I don't go to the theater, but I do get great Netflix recommendations from them!
I am always surprised at the number of people who automatically assume you are planning to go to the latest blockbuster.  "Have you seen Movie XYZ yet?  We went this weekend."  I used to explain that I had no interest in seeing it but now I just say "No, not yet" and let it go.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #371 on: August 22, 2014, 11:15:34 AM »
A fellow finance coworker was excited and told me that he found out how to get lower fees on our 401ks. 

I was really pumped since there's a brokerage option that can cut fees down to 0.06% fees for a portion of the 401k and I wanted to see how it worked. 

Turns out that he just found the basic index fund options with 0.3-0.6% fees versus the managed funds at 1+% fees.  Yay for him... but d'oh since we've been at the company for 5 years.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #372 on: August 22, 2014, 11:43:22 AM »
I was talking to a neighbor on our doorstep, when his three year old son sneezed violently and the dad asked me for a tissue. I never buy Kleenex - only have old fashioned handkerchiefs , so I handed him a wad of toilet paper. I felt slightly embarrassed when the dad noticed what it was, not sure why.

EarlyQuit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #373 on: August 22, 2014, 12:01:15 PM »

I was talking to a neighbor on our doorstep, when his three year old son sneezed violently and the dad asked me for a tissue. I never buy Kleenex - only have old fashioned handkerchiefs , so I handed him a wad of toilet paper. I felt slightly embarrassed when the dad noticed what it was, not sure why.
+1
Hey, I used to think I was the only person in this country using handkerchiefs... but there are 2 of us! :) I always get the "what the hell is that?!?" when I pull one out in public.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #374 on: August 22, 2014, 12:09:01 PM »
...No, when our monthly income arrives, we blow it on cigarettes, frozen pizza, and running our pickup trucks all over creation.  Then for 2 1/2 weeks we beg off of one another. And complain. 

Do you live in my town?!  By the end of the month people be waiting in line at the soup kitchen with a pack of cigarettes in one hand and a takeout coffee in the other.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #375 on: August 22, 2014, 12:38:21 PM »
This lack of empathy does not effect my friends, neighbors, coworkers, only me, so it is my people problem.  I have simply started hiding my stability (not wealth, I promise) in order to fend off the begging, but that gets pretty isolating.  I find I can't be happy when someone is expecting, because I know she can't afford to raise it.  I can't be happy when 2 people are getting married, because I know one of them is only looking to be taken care of and has no intention of growing up and learning to be a true supportive partner.

Sorry this is not 'fun'.

I hear you.  A coworker just had a baby and is currently moaning on Facebook about daycare costs.  This same girl, while pregnant, happily spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on expensive outfits that if she's lucky the kid will wear twice before growing out of them (why, yes, the baby's a girl and the first).  Like many, I think she put more thought into the "gender reveal" party and the kid's name than, you know, the actualities of raising a child.  I respect people like the MMMs who appreciate that raising a decent human being is a tough job and deserves full attention, or those who bite the bullet and economize so one parent can stay home.  But no, just go ahead and bring a newborn to daycare, at least you know her outfit's pretty and will make the caregiver coo!  :headdesk: 

I would also add that this same girl once complimented me on my sweater and sighed that she wished she could afford "nice clothes."  I thanked her without telling her it was a Lands End sweater I've had for fifteen years.  ;)

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #376 on: August 22, 2014, 01:47:09 PM »

+1
Hey, I used to think I was the only person in this country using handkerchiefs... but there are 2 of us! :) I always get the "what the hell is that?!?" when I pull one out in public.
Make that three of us. 

My mother brings boxes of kleenex when she visits and then leaves them here for future visits.  (I just get to store them, thanks.)  So I would have had one to give a doorstep sneezer. 

She did also give me some new hankies last xmas, after noticing some of mine are pretty worn out.  They are monogrammed with the letter N (which is not an initial of mine).  "N?" I asked.  "N for Nose!" she ad libbed.  She'd bought them on clearance at a discount store.  Who cares what they look like if they do the job?

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #377 on: August 22, 2014, 02:19:54 PM »
She did also give me some new hankies last xmas, after noticing some of mine are pretty worn out.  They are monogrammed with the letter N (which is not an initial of mine).  "N?" I asked.  "N for Nose!" she ad libbed.  She'd bought them on clearance at a discount store.  Who cares what they look like if they do the job?

That sounds pretty Mustachian!  Maybe you're rubbing off on her.  :)

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #378 on: August 22, 2014, 03:09:18 PM »
When we applied for our first mortgage, the bank called us THREE times to confirm that we did indeed mean to report that we had zero dollars in debt. There was no box on the form for "no debt," so we had to write it in the margins. They kept asking us "how?..."

You have to be making this one up?  lol

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #379 on: August 22, 2014, 03:11:33 PM »

Again, these are things I know, not assumptions, but it is causing a guardedness, a jadedness, a lack of joy and optimism in my day to day encounters.  I just put my head down, keep going to work, and keep planning for the future.  I have such a fantastic relationship with my husband, but a lack social connection to anyone else here.  Sometimes I really wish I were not such a misfit, but I would not choose to be what I see around me, not for anything.  One day, maybe I can conquer the judgement.

That is tough, but I suspect you're happier for guarding yourself.  If you didn't, you might be getting ripped off on the regular or constantly disappointed.

I suspect that, one day, your social context will change and that will be what makes the difference.  Keep looking for people you do fit better with and connect with them.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #380 on: August 22, 2014, 03:29:56 PM »
Biting my tongue to stop from asking the woman ahead of me in the checkout line at Whole Foods why she was shopping there.

Her bill was $58.+,  she paid with a few paper bills and some rolls of coins.  However, she had to return 2 or 3 items because she didn't have enough money. 

BTW, I was there because I read an article that said that WF had organic milk $2.50 cheaper per gallon than Trader Joe's.  Not true, it is the same price.

Jan

You might want look into milk?  If you like it that is fine, but it really is made for calf consumption and even the organic stuff is homogenized and pasteurized.   My wife likes it even though she drinks skim milk.  I refuse to feed it to guests or children over 2. 

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #381 on: August 22, 2014, 03:39:52 PM »
Although I have one now,  I went for several (maybe 6?) months without a phone, computer, cable or net a couple of years ago.   Well I did have PBS television,  all 3 channels!     My adult children couldn't understand how this is possible.   They would get kinda freaky about the no TV thing. 

In fact, my wife's sister and husband, who we adore, will not visit on the weekends because they can't watch football, racing, The Derby or whatever other sporting event might be on.   I just don't get it?   I haven't watched a TV sports program for probably a decade.   

How on earth am I so happy???

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #382 on: August 22, 2014, 03:47:55 PM »

Jan

You might want look into milk?  If you like it that is fine, but it really is made for calf consumption and even the organic stuff is homogenized and pasteurized.   My wife likes it even though she drinks skim milk.  I refuse to feed it to guests or children over 2. 

We have our own cow, so I feel qualified to comment here. Once milk has been cooked and processed (pasteurized and homogenized) its basically just a milk flavored drink. Go local for this one, totally worth it to buy fresh raw milk.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #383 on: August 22, 2014, 03:48:50 PM »

Jan

I refuse to feed eggs to guests because it's really made for becoming a chicken.

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #384 on: August 22, 2014, 04:33:15 PM »
I've learned to be careful about discussing purchases. When we bought a car several years back, people asked what kind of a rate we got.

"We paid cash."

(Complete look of bewilderment.)

So now I just don't bring up purchases in casual conversation. Too risky!

You could just say "I forget but I know it's 0% for a while." This would be technically accurate and would allow you to fit in with all the Consumer Suckas out there.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #385 on: August 22, 2014, 06:13:46 PM »

+1

LIZA. Whats this for?

HIGGINS. To wipe your eyes. To wipe any part of your face
that feels moist. Remember: thats your handkerchief; and thats
your sleeve. Dont mistake the one for the other....

eyesonthehorizon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #386 on: August 22, 2014, 11:47:59 PM »
This lack of empathy does not effect my friends, neighbors, coworkers, only me, so it is my people problem. ...
[paragraph reduction:] ...hiding... fend off... gets pretty isolating.  I find I can't be happy...

...causing a guardedness, a jadedness, a lack of joy and optimism in my day to day encounters.  I just put my head down, keep going to work, and keep planning for the future.  I have such a fantastic relationship with my husband, but a lack social connection to anyone else here.  Sometimes I really wish I were not such a misfit, but I would not choose to be what I see around me, not for anything.  One day, maybe I can conquer the judgement.

Sorry this is not 'fun'.
Mustachian people problems: The red pill is just not 'fun'. You can't divorce only the parts of a society that don't work for you.

Does this judgement need to be conquered, exactly? This is what it looks like to show awareness, the results of contemplation. This is not callous prejudice, this is frustration with a self-reinforcing culture cycling waste and want and misery. From the language in this post, it's often not that we don't have empathy - we needn't care about the issue after our own progression if we don't care about the people it affects on some level; it's just that they're too far gone to bond with.

I get this. When we have a society profiting on human discontent we are all injured by it, even when we've opted out. Rebel against a dominant social convention which harms people and you not only deal with well-intentioned arguments for drinking poison but the essential invisibility of anyone else who doesn't want to because we all have to duck our heads to avoid a scene, as the status quo defends itself. The people around us, some of whom we might care for quite a bit, are choosing a grayer, shabbier, more dismal reality on the daily; as with any challenge to the authority of convention, it is completely natural to want to retreat into a safe sane space.

There are seeds of power in the tendency to co-humanism at the root of this. How to deal with compassion in a broken world? In the Western tradition you fight for change, hopefully with a dose of awareness of your Circles of Control. In the Eastern tradition you learn to be impartial - you sigh not so, but let them go, and be you blithe and bonny... like this thread. There are times it's better to laugh than cry, and especially in a context when you can laugh together.

My mustachian problem is that there are so many different levels of progress on this forum it's hard to find those in my own same boat right now; a form of hedonic adaptation, that it used to be a relief just to have the subculture and now I want a sub-sub-subchapter devoted to "hair fires only recently extinguished" experiences.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #387 on: August 23, 2014, 01:48:38 AM »
I never have anything to add to the conversation at work about current movies and celebrities.  People honestly don't understand how you can go several years between trips to the movie theaters.
My coworkers know that I don't go to the theater, but I do get great Netflix recommendations from them!
I am always surprised at the number of people who automatically assume you are planning to go to the latest blockbuster.  "Have you seen Movie XYZ yet?  We went this weekend."  I used to explain that I had no interest in seeing it but now I just say "No, not yet" and let it go.

I don't understand how people get excited over the "new" 23rd sequel of Spiderman (or other superhero movies). I think the genre is tired out and have no interest in seeing another superhero movie. Is it just me?

I am lucky to live in a fun/touristy area and over the tourist season (not summer) they have free open air movies on one or two weeknights. It's usually 6-12 month old movies and sometimes some classics as well. I'm always telling my friends about it but don't get many takers. It's a beautiful night out under the stars watching a free movie. What's not to love?

So now anytime anyone invites me to a movie (to pay for), I always think to myself that the same movie will probably be shown for free in 6 months so why would I want to pay for it? One time I was successfully able to divert a friend away from a pay-for movie by suggesting a free open air jazz concert on the same night. I don't think she noticed the clever diversion away from pay-for entertainment, but it was quite successful. We had fun at the concert.

I'm always keeping an eye out for the free events. ;-)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #388 on: August 23, 2014, 01:54:48 AM »
I've learned to be careful about discussing purchases. When we bought a car several years back, people asked what kind of a rate we got.

"We paid cash."

(Complete look of bewilderment.)

So now I just don't bring up purchases in casual conversation. Too risky!

You could just say "I forget but I know it's 0% for a while." This would be technically accurate and would allow you to fit in with all the Consumer Suckas out there.
No, this is a lie, they didnt forget.
Just state teh inflation - for cash that can't be wrong ;)

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #389 on: August 23, 2014, 03:08:12 AM »

I don't understand how people get excited over the "new" 23rd sequel of Spiderman (or other superhero movies). I think the genre is tired out and have no interest in seeing another superhero movie. Is it just me?

I am lucky to live in a fun/touristy area and over the tourist season (not summer) they have free open air movies on one or two weeknights. It's usually 6-12 month old movies and sometimes some classics as well. I'm always telling my friends about it but don't get many takers. It's a beautiful night out under the stars watching a free movie. What's not to love?

So now anytime anyone invites me to a movie (to pay for), I always think to myself that the same movie will probably be shown for free in 6 months so why would I want to pay for it? One time I was successfully able to divert a friend away from a pay-for movie by suggesting a free open air jazz concert on the same night. I don't think she noticed the clever diversion away from pay-for entertainment, but it was quite successful. We had fun at the concert.

Neither my husband and I are big movie buffs.  When we do go to the theater, we do the first matinee in the morning.  We haven't been yet this year but we probably will in November when the new Hunger Games movie comes out (SHUT UP I LIKE IT).  My rule of thumb is to see movies that will look awesome on a big screen.  And no, you're not the only one who's sick of the comic book movies--and the endless reboots of said comic book movies.  Damn, how many Batman movies does the world need?

I live between two lovely parks, and the larger of the two does movie nights in the summer.  A couple of months ago it showed The Blues Brothers.  TONS of people showed up and we all had a great time.  You can't beat free fun!

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #390 on: August 23, 2014, 03:38:01 PM »

That sounds pretty Mustachian!  Maybe you're rubbing off on her.  :)

Nah, I come from a long line of frugal people.  I'm not rubbing off on anyone here.  Though maybe I could try to get her to use a hankie....

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #391 on: August 23, 2014, 04:42:17 PM »

Neither my husband and I are big movie buffs.  When we do go to the theater, we do the first matinee in the morning.  We haven't been yet this year but we probably will in November when the new Hunger Games movie comes out (SHUT UP I LIKE IT).  My rule of thumb is to see movies that will look awesome on a big screen.  And no, you're not the only one who's sick of the comic book movies--and the endless reboots of said comic book movies.  Damn, how many Batman movies does the world need?

I live between two lovely parks, and the larger of the two does movie nights in the summer.  A couple of months ago it showed The Blues Brothers.  TONS of people showed up and we all had a great time.  You can't beat free fun!

"My rule of thumb is to see movies that will look awesome on a big screen."
I actually have two rules. You just stated my first rule. I actually refuse to see comedies in theaters. Action movies or movies with a lot of special effects are the only type I will see.

Rule #2: I only go if I have a gift card (my parents constantly give them to us for Christmas even though we never ask for them and then I use to rewards from my credit card).

My SO wishes we would go more often. But every time we go, I'm reminded why I hate theaters. I try and make sure we go after the movie has been out for multiple weeks so there are less people. The times we have gone earlier have made me want to rip my hair out. I much rather enjoy a movie from the comfort of my home with less distractions.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #392 on: August 23, 2014, 07:41:36 PM »
New problem:  I'm running out of plastic bags to collect all of my garden veggies in.  Need to find a more durable vegetable transportation device.

Michael792

• Stubble
    • Rising Ascendant
« Reply #393 on: August 23, 2014, 10:42:09 PM »
New problem:  I'm running out of plastic bags to collect all of my garden veggies in.  Need to find a more durable vegetable transportation device.

Try burlap or canvas.

Alabaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #394 on: August 24, 2014, 01:14:12 AM »
I refuse to feed eggs to guests because it's really made for becoming a chicken.

Thank you. You made my night.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #395 on: August 24, 2014, 02:25:25 AM »
I haven't seen a movie on the big screen since Saving Private Ryan.  It was awesome.  I love movies and find the big screen an enhancement.   Maybe when I FIRE I'll do more movies at matinee time.

jordanread

« Reply #396 on: August 24, 2014, 10:34:46 AM »
I haven't seen a movie on the big screen since Saving Private Ryan.  It was awesome.  I love movies and find the big screen an enhancement.   Maybe when I FIRE I'll do more movies at matinee time.
I've always been partial to the sheet outside with the projector. Ooooh, how about a bike in outdoor theater?

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #397 on: August 24, 2014, 04:16:32 PM »
Not many outdoor drive inns left.  Love the bike idea. 

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #398 on: August 24, 2014, 05:32:11 PM »
My car battery died once from lack of use. 

I have to drive enough so that doesn't happen!  Once a week seems to do the trick.  Or look into a battery charger.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #399 on: August 24, 2014, 06:15:38 PM »
Spiderwebs on the car door.
I actually used pesticide for a few of the crevices where the creatures like to nestle on my car.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 06:19:28 PM by C. K. »