Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086958 times)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #3300 on: December 01, 2016, 12:07:47 PM »
The electric company installed smart meters this summer and is now sending letters, emails, etc about power usage. Apparently, 2/3 of my neighbors use less power than we do. Ok, I will admit we could do better. In particular, I should replace lightbulbs, but 85% of them (I counted) are these really stupid size that last I checked they didn't make bulbs that would fit the light fixtures in LED or anything else other than what's in there. I'm not replacing the light fixtures in a rental.

Except.
There are several vacant units around us, so minimal/no power usage.
There's 2 people in my unit, and easily 1/3 of the occupied units only have 1 person.
It's townhouses. There's a fairly high proportion of people who travel for work (leaving the spouse at home or no one there), are retired/semi retired and travel (same).

When I add all this up, I actually expect my electric use to be higher than about 2/3 of my neighbors. So the electric company really isn't telling me anything helpful.

For future reference, don't get light fixtures that require tiny lightbulbs that are non-standard size and are enclosed so you can't put anything else in them. I actually had trouble finding replacement bulbs when we moved in! They're not even pretty.

I'm curious what these bulbs are.  In my experience, they make led bulbs for everything these days although sometimes they are too big for the space.  I probably wouldn't buy nonstandard led bulbs for a rental though, since you wouldn't be able to use them elsewhere

What's your electric usage per month per person?

Well, based on this site: http://www.bulbs.com/learning/shapesandsizes.aspx

G Series, G11, G12 or G16. Can't tell which size exactly. When we moved in, there were a ton of burned out bulbs, so I bought about 20-30 of them and replaced burned out bulbs all over. Was only able to find them in incandescent. Still have 4-6 in the cupboard (and 3-4 need to be replaced and I haven't bothered). The light fixtures are all the same enclosed 6 or 8 sized glass things that are 3-4 inches in depth.

At this point, I'm moving out in spring/early summer, so it's not worth it to me to buy all new bulbs and replace them. Yeah, I'd save some money on electricity, but I wouldn't break even, and I'm not taking them with me anyway.

Not sure what the average electric usage is off the top of my head, but it's reasonable for 2 people and the size of the place. Not running the AC or heat, the bill is around $40 a month. With heat, around $50, and $70+ depending how much the AC is on.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3301 on: December 01, 2016, 05:20:16 PM »
When we moved in, there were a ton of burned out bulbs, so I bought about 20-30 of them and replaced burned out bulbs all over.

Damn, if I were a tenant, I totally would have made my landlord pay for all those bulbs.  It's one thing if they burned out over significant time of your usage, but if they were already out when you moved in, or burned out really soon thereafter, I would have called the landlord and said, "Hey, I'm gonna have to buy all these bulbs since they're out.  Do you want to buy them and install them?  Or would you rather I buy them, send you the receipt, and deduct the cost from my next rent payment?"  Said nicely with a smile :-)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3302 on: December 01, 2016, 06:12:27 PM »
When we moved in, there were a ton of burned out bulbs, so I bought about 20-30 of them and replaced burned out bulbs all over.

Damn, if I were a tenant, I totally would have made my landlord pay for all those bulbs.  It's one thing if they burned out over significant time of your usage, but if they were already out when you moved in, or burned out really soon thereafter, I would have called the landlord and said, "Hey, I'm gonna have to buy all these bulbs since they're out.  Do you want to buy them and install them?  Or would you rather I buy them, send you the receipt, and deduct the cost from my next rent payment?"  Said nicely with a smile :-)

I did consider it. However, decided against it for several reasons.

1. There was a list of items I needed done, and I had to fight with a flaky, ditzy real estate agent to get them done. These were things like boarding up a hole in the wall in the basement, getting the ceiling fan/light in the bedroom to work, rehanging a door, etc. I was out of energy & patience dealing with those things.
2. Landlord is out of state, and we wanted to establish a good relationship. I've lived here 3 years and still haven't met her, or even spoken to her on the phone. We have email and mailing address.
3. When I finally found the damn things, they had a sale on lightbulbs. Very random, but great, and I had a coupon. So after the sale + coupon, that helped a lot with the cost. I think it was close to 40-50% off. Additionally, I split the cost w/ my roommate.
4. My roommate was, and is, very much not in the real world of what landlords need to do and what it's reasonable to ask. At the time, she was in the middle of a particularly out of touch phase, and I'd had to squash a number of things. (No, it is not reasonable to ask your landlord to put in a larger hot water tank when the current one is perfectly fine, not that old, etc.) Paying for the lightbulbs was a much  lower cost for me than dealing with opening that can of worms again.

Overall, it wasn't worth it.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3303 on: December 01, 2016, 10:02:25 PM »

Zoinks!  Sounds like you definitely had more important priorities than the darn light bulbs.  I wasn't trying to criticize, just empathize :-)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3304 on: December 02, 2016, 11:05:38 AM »

Zoinks!  Sounds like you definitely had more important priorities than the darn light bulbs.  I wasn't trying to criticize, just empathize :-)

Yeah, the lightbulbs were pretty minor in the end. The place is actually really nice, and we were able to paint, rent is reasonable for the unit and area, and hasn't been raised since I moved in. I'm planning on buying a house in 2017, so will be moving out then. Without this roommate - she needs to live by herself to have a chance at turning into a mature, functional adult. Which her parents will probably scuttle, but that's not my problem. :)

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #3305 on: December 03, 2016, 08:10:25 AM »

Yeah, the lightbulbs were pretty minor in the end. The place is actually really nice, and we were able to paint, rent is reasonable for the unit and area, and hasn't been raised since I moved in. I'm planning on buying a house in 2017, so will be moving out then. Without this roommate - she needs to live by herself to have a chance at turning into a mature, functional adult. Which her parents will probably scuttle, but that's not my problem. :)
I know a person who moved out of the house they were sharing in college, took half the furniture that had been bought collectively, leaving everyone else in the house to spend the next few months without a kitchen table or couch, and had forgotten to take the house keys off of their ring, so they tossed them in the trash - hello re-keying of entire property for everyone.

That person is now a functioning adult, but sometimes people who haven't lived on their own truly do very silly things.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3306 on: December 03, 2016, 01:47:17 PM »
I'm treating the youngest daughter (8 y.o.) to a trip to Copenhagen, with full freedom on all luxuries; our budget set aside for spoiling this kid has grown steadily for years. She did choose a quite nice hotel for one night, but after that it went downhill. Instead of flying, she wanted to travel by train (half the price). For lunch, she packed bread and cheese in her bag to eat on the train. Then it turned out her fancy hotel had dinner included in the price. There is a Christmas market in town; she would rather relax at the hotel today than buy sweets or toys. Tomorrow, her chosen activity is a Christmas party for children from a ethnic minority; free of charge and including food. The hotel we are staying in tomorrow is quite reasonably priced, and includes free access to a swimming pool and bowling. Otherwise, our only plans are to visit a (free) art museum.

I guess I'll just add the extra money to her savings account.

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3307 on: December 03, 2016, 01:58:30 PM »
I'm treating the youngest daughter (8 y.o.) to a trip to Copenhagen, with full freedom on all luxuries; our budget set aside for spoiling this kid has grown steadily for years. She did choose a quite nice hotel for one night, but after that it went downhill. Instead of flying, she wanted to travel by train (half the price). For lunch, she packed bread and cheese in her bag to eat on the train. Then it turned out her fancy hotel had dinner included in the price. There is a Christmas market in town; she would rather relax at the hotel today than buy sweets or toys. Tomorrow, her chosen activity is a Christmas party for children from a ethnic minority; free of charge and including food. The hotel we are staying in tomorrow is quite reasonably priced, and includes free access to a swimming pool and bowling. Otherwise, our only plans are to visit a (free) art museum.

Or her college fund. So nice she enjoys simple and free things, maybe she just picked what she wanted to do without regard to cost. In any event, it's a nice problem to have.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3308 on: December 03, 2016, 02:26:37 PM »

Awww...I'm remotely proud of your little conserver. Very nice.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3309 on: December 03, 2016, 03:22:00 PM »
We switched to a 10L rubbish bin in the kitchen and they don't sell bin liners that small in either of the two local supermarkets. I would just use carrier bags but at 5p each it's more expensive than buying bin liners - and we'd have to reverse the now-ingrained habit of bringing cloth bags to the shops every time.

ML

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3310 on: December 03, 2016, 08:49:27 PM »
Not wanting to buy new formal office clothing for work. It would be a waste as you're planning to quit soon and won't get much use out of them.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 08:51:04 PM by ML »

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3311 on: December 03, 2016, 09:10:53 PM »
Not wanting to buy new formal office clothing for work. It would be a waste as you're planning to quit soon and won't get much use out of them.
This is so me!  Trying to limp along on my aging wardrobe for the next 1.5 years.  My office attire is slowly trending more and more casual, too, as I care less and less about the dress code.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #3312 on: December 04, 2016, 09:01:10 AM »
We switched to a 10L rubbish bin in the kitchen and they don't sell bin liners that small in either of the two local supermarkets. I would just use carrier bags but at 5p each it's more expensive than buying bin liners - and we'd have to reverse the now-ingrained habit of bringing cloth bags to the shops every time.
I've been going  years without bin liners. The inside of the bin doesn't look that pretty, but it doesn't smell and I don't need a clean place for my trash

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #3313 on: December 07, 2016, 12:52:01 PM »
this will be our son's first xmas. I have been hounded for the last couple of months about what our son needs/wants for xmas. I've told them "money for college". Everybody just laughs at me.

Tell everyone your child loves Disney.  You can buy it online too!  search for "DIS"

I wonder what is better, using money that would go towards a 529 to invest in your child's retirement or have money to go towards college loans. 

In the above example, if you start putting money away for your child 50 years before his/her retirement, talk about compounding...
All depends on the average effective APR% on the loans vs. your average investment return...

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #3314 on: December 07, 2016, 05:03:10 PM »
I'm going to miss one of my most cherished holiday traditions this year, which I've done for the last several - putting together my annual financial report on New Years Day, all chock full of happy numbers. Unless I shell out for the highly-antimustachian in-flight wifi en route to Thailand, that is. I'll have to just do it a day early, which is slightly less magical.

Also, I'm out of plastic bags again, at the time when most people are buried alive under them due to Christmas shopping (which I don't do). I'm using an empty rice sack for garbage right now until I can scrounge up some more.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #3315 on: December 07, 2016, 07:16:55 PM »
Today I volunteered at a fundraising bingo - they insisted on paying me.
Last weekend,  I volunteered at a craft show - they insisted on paying  me.
MPP :  since FIREing  I can't seem to NOT make money.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3316 on: December 08, 2016, 01:08:57 AM »
Indeed, I am also out of plastic bags to use as bin liners. I'll soon need to buy some.
I always carry 2 cloth shopping bags in my handbag that I use for most grocery shopping. And I take along a crate when I go big grocery shopping. And I do most other shopping online. Christmas presents are delivered at the place of destination (in another country), where we will pack them on arrival.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #3317 on: December 08, 2016, 05:26:12 AM »
Also, I'm out of plastic bags again, at the time when most people are buried alive under them due to Christmas shopping (which I don't do). I'm using an empty rice sack for garbage right now until I can scrounge up some more.

George Carlin might suggest you're making Mother Earth unhappy...

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #3318 on: December 08, 2016, 07:27:48 AM »

George Carlin might suggest you're making Mother Earth unhappy...
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D7W33HRc1A6c&ved=0ahUKEwjx096y5uTQAhUCxmMKHZ9jAkkQyCkIHDAA&usg=AFQjCNHnXgh0KukIGQJfoBVD8r6NRikrog&sig2=U5Ajkzrz9BLzof6EfYY-VA

Well that was ...um...enlightening.

6-Saturdays

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3319 on: December 08, 2016, 07:55:48 AM »
Had a coworker ask me if “Are you all done with my Christmas shopping yet?” Unfortunately I was working on something/distracted at the time and responded “I don’t go in for that sort of nonsense” before I considered how that would be construed to a "normal" person. I think I am now pegged as the anti-Christmas, Scrooge, odder than they originally thought co-worker around here. It was bound to happen sooner or later, but I had hoped I would have more time.

TrMama

« Reply #3320 on: December 08, 2016, 10:28:00 AM »
You and your spouse argue over who gets to open the statement from the mortgage company first. You both know it's the final statement and you each want to be the first to see it in black and white. You share a laugh that the final months interest is only $0.15.

Yippee!

The next morning the cheap, bucket of bolts minivan you drive has a problem related to the recent below freezing weather. Instead of immediately replacing it with a higher end car, or setting it on fire, you use duct tape to patch the problem until it warms up.

Sigh, being responsible is such a drag sometimes.

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #3321 on: December 08, 2016, 10:37:37 AM »
Indeed, I am also out of plastic bags to use as bin liners. I'll soon need to buy some.
I always carry 2 cloth shopping bags in my handbag that I use for most grocery shopping. And I take along a crate when I go big grocery shopping. And I do most other shopping online. Christmas presents are delivered at the place of destination (in another country), where we will pack them on arrival.
i have this issue too! i have to use the doggy poo bags the apartment provides for my kitty litter since i no longer have enough from shopping and used up my supply

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3322 on: December 08, 2016, 12:47:06 PM »
i have this issue too! i have to use the doggy poo bags the apartment provides for my kitty litter since i no longer have enough from shopping and used up my supply

Do you ever go to stores where they have bins in the front for other people to bring their bags to recycle? If so, take them from there! I've had great luck with this method. It's better than buying plastic bags (both from a budget and an environmental perspective) and I've heard that the stores that do this have to pay someone to haul away that plastic, so it's hardly "stealing".

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3323 on: December 08, 2016, 01:06:15 PM »

Do you ever go to stores where they have bins in the front for other people to bring their bags to recycle? If so, take them from there! I've had great luck with this method. It's better than buying plastic bags (both from a budget and an environmental perspective) and I've heard that the stores that do this have to pay someone to haul away that plastic, so it's hardly "stealing".

I always thought the store did that because of our new laws that you can't give free bags.  But there's no law against having a bag recycling bin in front of your store.  And you can't help it if customers take some of those bags for free.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3324 on: December 08, 2016, 01:13:53 PM »

I always thought the store did that because of our new laws that you can't give free bags.  But there's no law against having a bag recycling bin in front of your store.  And you can't help it if customers take some of those bags for free.

They have them in my state where bags are still free.  I just assumed it was an effort to look green when really not making any strides to be green.  I doubt the bags actually get recycled. 

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3325 on: December 08, 2016, 01:29:31 PM »
I doubt the bags actually get recycled.

I think it depends on the place. That's why I bring my bags (random too-small-to-be-useful things) to the treehugger coop, rather than the Big Box store.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3326 on: December 09, 2016, 02:25:14 AM »
In my community they recycle plastic. So we deliver all plastic that is wrapped around vegetables, meat and other stuff in that container.

I never heard of shops who offer used plastic bags at the exit. Sounds like a good idea.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3327 on: December 09, 2016, 02:28:03 AM »
You and your spouse argue over who gets to open the statement from the mortgage company first. You both know it's the final statement and you each want to be the first to see it in black and white. You share a laugh that the final months interest is only $0.15.

Yippee!

The next morning the cheap, bucket of bolts minivan you drive has a problem related to the recent below freezing weather. Instead of immediately replacing it with a higher end car, or setting it on fire, you use duct tape to patch the problem until it warms up.

Congrats on paying off the mortgage! This is a huge deal! Have you posted in the celebrations thread? And the mortgage payoff thread?

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3328 on: December 09, 2016, 07:46:24 AM »

Yippee!

Congrats!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3329 on: December 09, 2016, 08:50:22 AM »
I accidentally paid off a credit card statement balance twice this month, so my new balance is negative $117...

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3330 on: December 09, 2016, 08:54:53 AM »
When you lose track of when your rent check is being cashed... and it's a GOOD thing. "There's a lot of money in my checking account, I guess my rent check didn't go through yet. Oh, it did? Huh. Hang on, I manufactured spend on my CSR last month so that's like $2000 that has to be paid out. Wait, that was already paid too? Huh. *goes to www.vanguard.com* "

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #3331 on: December 09, 2016, 08:56:40 AM »
Mustachian/Grammar Person Problem:

Seeing a "Share Your Bada**ity" thread titled "Second Comma" and getting all excited because you think it will be a story of how the Oxford comma was flagrantly used against company policy but in support of clearer language...

...but then still being excited for someone else when you find out the thread relates to investment balances.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3332 on: December 09, 2016, 07:08:45 PM »

Um, why did I never think of that genius idea?  I pay HOA dues to buy the darn doggie bags, but I only have cats.  I think my cats are entitled to their share of the bags, LOL!

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3333 on: December 10, 2016, 01:31:12 AM »
Mustachian/Grammar Person Problem:

Seeing a "Share Your Bada**ity" thread titled "Second Comma" and getting all excited because you think it will be a story of how the Oxford comma was flagrantly used against company policy but in support of clearer language...

...but then still being excited for someone else when you find out the thread relates to investment balances.

I thought I was the only one.

greengardens

• Stubble
« Reply #3334 on: December 11, 2016, 01:25:44 PM »
MPP: DH needs to spend $30 more dollars at a store to get 40% off the entire purchase + free shipping. neither one of us can find anything we need that will get us to the threshold

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3335 on: December 11, 2016, 02:10:40 PM »
MPP: DH needs to spend $30 more dollars at a store to get 40% off the entire purchase + free shipping. neither one of us can find anything we need that will get us to the threshold

Gift cards?

greengardens

• Stubble
« Reply #3336 on: December 11, 2016, 02:16:04 PM »

Gift cards?

We looked and unfortunately gift cards don't count toward the discount total.though we did find out we can use our credit card cash back rewards at this store so we're just going to do that

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3337 on: December 12, 2016, 03:09:37 AM »
There has to be something that you can resell? Or gift away, since its that time of the year?

TrMama

« Reply #3338 on: December 13, 2016, 11:05:17 AM »

Yippee!

Congrats!

Yippee!

Congrats on paying off the mortgage! This is a huge deal! Have you posted in the celebrations thread? And the mortgage payoff thread?

Thanks! We're pretty stoked, though it was a long time and a lot of effort to get here.

New MPP: While car shopping to replace the current bucket of bolts for a newer model that functions when the weather is below freezing (you live in Canada after all) you ask the sales guy for an accurate trade in value for the car. He insists on driving it to make sure it runs and is also excited he gets to drive a standard (apparently this is very rare). While he's driving around the block, he hits someone and causes very minor damage to both cars.

As a mustachian you are completely unconcerned about the cost to repair either bucket of bolts (the other car was also a basic, older model) however, you are very, very concerned about the potential liability to you from personal injury claims from any of the 3 people involved in the crash. You file an insurance claim strictly to protect your stash from said claims. The sales guy is mystified as to why you aren't concerned about damage to your car and doesn't understand why you are concerned about a potential lawsuit.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #3339 on: December 13, 2016, 03:21:22 PM »
*snip*

New MPP: While car shopping to replace the current bucket of bolts for a newer model that functions when the weather is below freezing (you live in Canada after all) you ask the sales guy for an accurate trade in value for the car. He insists on driving it to make sure it runs and is also excited he gets to drive a standard (apparently this is very rare). While he's driving around the block, he hits someone and causes very minor damage to both cars.

As a mustachian you are completely unconcerned about the cost to repair either bucket of bolts (the other car was also a basic, older model) however, you are very, very concerned about the potential liability to you from personal injury claims from any of the 3 people involved in the crash. You file an insurance claim strictly to protect your stash from said claims. The sales guy is mystified as to why you aren't concerned about damage to your car and doesn't understand why you are concerned about a potential lawsuit.

How did sales guy's manager react when told that sales guy, in the ten minutes he was driving your car, managed to hit another car?

Lawyers:
In general, would a lawsuit by the sale guy's victim hit TrMama and spouse, or just sales guy and dealership?

TrMama

« Reply #3340 on: December 13, 2016, 05:04:10 PM »
*snip*

How did sales guy's manager react when told that sales guy, in the ten minutes he was driving your car, managed to hit another car?

Lawyers:
In general, would a lawsuit by the sale guy's victim hit TrMama and spouse, or just sales guy and dealership?

All the sales guys in the shop had their fake happy smiles pasted on and were still  trying to get us to buy one of their cars. The sales guy driving my car was incredibly apologetic and clearly wanted to crawl into a hole. I was very tired (it had already been a long day) and used my quiet, angry mom voice to tell him to make my car driveable ASAP so I could go home.

Anyway, I learned a lot about insurance yesterday. The claim will be paid for by the dealerships insurance. They have a policy that covers events like this. I learned that  all mechanics, dealerships, etc have this kind of policy that covers their cars being driven by clients (like if I'd crashed the car I was test driving) and clients cars that they damage (like mine). Since we're in BC there is only one car insurer the process is relatively painless. I just wanted to submit the claim, instead of having the dealership fix all the damage without reporting anything, to be doubly sure no personal injury claims could come back to haunt me. Even without the claim, this was unlikely, but I have a low risk tolerance for this kind of nonsense. Accident victims here have 1 (or 2?) years to submit a personal injury claim.

Technically, even without a formal claim in place I could never be held responsible since I wasn't driving when the accident happened. It would always be the dealerships policy that would pay (since sales guy was driving my care for work purposes). However, I am the registered owner of the car, it was clearly my car that caused the accident and I wasn't present for the accident so I don't really know what happened. If this had to be investigated a year from now (if one of the people involved decided to put in an injury claim) the details would be hard to remember/prove and I don't want to deal with anymore drama.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #3341 on: December 13, 2016, 08:00:09 PM »
Good call, TrMama.  Thank you for the update.

"Since we're in BC there is only one car insurer..."
In New York State, where there are possibly dozens of auto insurers (maybe?  a lot, at least), this amazes me.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3342 on: December 14, 2016, 05:45:29 AM »
Earlier this year I committed myself to developing new hobbies and spending less time obsessing over my financial spreadsheets.  Overall this went well and I feel confident that I have something to FIRE to instead of just escaping work life.  However between the uptick in hobby spending and moving in with my non-mustachian boyfriend, I've felt like my spending has been out of control.  Since most of the spending for the year is done, I took a look at my totals per budget category and overall.  Imagine my surprise when after eating out more, wasting more food at home, buying alot of $$$ hobby supplies, a new tablet and new living room furniture, my total expenditures for the year was ~21K and my savings rate was 68% which is almost exactly what it was last year.  LOL you know you're mustachian when your out of control spending is 21K/yr.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3343 on: December 14, 2016, 07:15:58 AM »

In New York State, where there are possibly dozens of auto insurers (maybe?  a lot, at least), this amazes me.

This is specific to BC in Canada, and doesn't exist in any form in any US state. It's a little analogous to the states where the state controls the Workers Comp market entirely (ND, OH, WA, WY), as opposed to NY where dozens of carriers write WC, but there's also the State Fund.

If anyone's wondering, the coverage TrMama is talking about is called Garagekeepers Liability. It's carried by auto shops and dealerships, but also places like parking garages with valet service.

OutlierinMA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRED!
« Reply #3344 on: December 14, 2016, 07:53:09 AM »
  LOL you know you're mustachian when your out of control spending is 21K/yr.

Love this!

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #3345 on: December 14, 2016, 09:14:14 AM »
Earlier this year I committed myself to developing new hobbies and spending less time obsessing over my financial spreadsheets.  Overall this went well and I feel confident that I have something to FIRE to instead of just escaping work life.  However between the uptick in hobby spending and moving in with my non-mustachian boyfriend, I've felt like my spending has been out of control.  Since most of the spending for the year is done, I took a look at my totals per budget category and overall.  Imagine my surprise when after eating out more, wasting more food at home, buying alot of $$$ hobby supplies, a new tablet and new living room furniture, my total expenditures for the year was ~21K and my savings rate was 68% which is almost exactly what it was last year.  LOL you know you're mustachian when your out of control spending is 21K/yr.

I know the feeling. We went nuts this year, going to tons of concerts and movies, traveling to Europe, Asia, and Vegas,and generally spending what seemed like a lot to me - and it turns out our total spending is actually slightly less than last year, at a current $27,120.

Saskatchewstachian

• Stubble
« Reply #3346 on: December 14, 2016, 10:18:45 AM »

This is specific to BC in Canada, and doesn't exist in any form in any US state. It's a little analogous to the states where the state controls the Workers Comp market entirely (ND, OH, WA, WY), as opposed to NY where dozens of carriers write WC, but there's also the State Fund.

This is the same in multiple provinces, here is SK my insurance (comes standard as part of renewing your license plate) was $1200/year for my car, and this is after a 20% discount for good driving. DW's old vehicle, a 2004 2 door manual honda civic was $1300/yr, this is because a 2 door standard in classified as a sports car.... It's doesn't make a lot of sense and makes owning vehicles very expensive here.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3347 on: December 14, 2016, 10:19:38 AM »
When you lose track of when your rent check is being cashed... and it's a GOOD thing. "There's a lot of money in my checking account, I guess my rent check didn't go through yet. Oh, it did? Huh. Hang on, I manufactured spend on my CSR last month so that's like $2000 that has to be paid out. Wait, that was already paid too? Huh. *goes to www.vanguard.com* "

Speaking of rent checks, we're probably not going to see ours this month because the floors need to be redone because of some water damage.  It's rough being the one that gets the rent check instead of the one that pays it. 

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #3348 on: December 14, 2016, 11:44:55 AM »
... So I go to the bank and pull a few hundred out for pocket money for the month. Every time I go in there, they look at my accounts and offer to set me up with a better savings account and I decline.
It's been a few months since I caught up with this thread. I had a crazy unsolicited high pressure sales pitch from my local bank manager that I had too much money sitting in savings there and I should move it to something with better returns. It was beyond polite suggestion and into car salesman tactics. It felt kinda nice on a later visit to let them know I listened to his advice and did a big transfer from their bank to our Vanguard accounts. 

A new submission to the thread, a letter I received a few months ago from the Office of Retirement Services:

"Dear Jakejake,

Effective July 1, 2016, the State of Michigan 401k and 457 plans will be establishing a new policy that limits the elective contribution rate to 70 percent of gross wages. During a recent review of your State of Michigan 457 Plan account, our records indicate your elective contribution rate is greater than 70 percent. Because of this, your contribution rate will be adjusted to the new maximum of 70 percent, which will begin with the next available pay period after July 1 ..."

-----
Joke's on them. I FIRE'd in June.  I like to think I'm the one person who broke the system.

katstache92

• Stubble
« Reply #3349 on: December 14, 2016, 12:13:21 PM »
Just had to call Vanguard because I'm going to max out my 401k for the first time ever (yay!) and I didn't know what would happen to the overage that would be caused by my current percentage.  Then I had to explain I wasn't really over 18k already that my last paycheck from 2015 hit Vanguard in early 2016 and the total Vanguard shows isn't what my pay stub shows.

Apparently the payroll of my company will take care of it and stop it automatically at 18k.  So let's hope that happens.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!