Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086571 times)

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #3250 on: November 17, 2016, 03:14:08 PM »

That's actually a good idea... I do have a machine, but I never actually used it yet. It will probably come out crap... then again, is to be used a couple of days, then just around the house... I might give it a try!

I should have just included this in my first response, but here is a pretty thorough diy.  I haven't used it, but it looks like her instructions are clear. http://mellysews.com/2014/12/sew-robe-easy-tutorial.html

Here is one with a printable pattern. http://www.sewitalltv.com/episodes/series_900/episode_906.html

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3251 on: November 17, 2016, 04:25:20 PM »
This is probably more of a "you know you're mustashian when" problem but I think it's hilarious. Yesterday my office told us all about the company Christmas party being held in 10 days. The short notice means that I already have plans. My plans include cleaning horse stalls in exchange for free riding time.

Yes, I'd rather shovel actual horseshit than go to a work party.

Is there a difference?

One can be a very nice fertilizer....

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3252 on: November 17, 2016, 07:35:00 PM »
This is probably more of a "you know you're mustashian when" problem but I think it's hilarious. Yesterday my office told us all about the company Christmas party being held in 10 days. The short notice means that I already have plans. My plans include cleaning horse stalls in exchange for free riding time.

Yes, I'd rather shovel actual horseshit than go to a work party.

Is there a difference?

One can be a very nice fertilizer....

And with one you can tell when you've finished and have a horseshit-free area....

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #3253 on: November 18, 2016, 05:50:13 AM »
A tourist approached me on the street asking where the best women's boutiques were in my city. I had nothing to even suggest because all my clothes come from Goodwill.

I think this says you dress well though!

I had sort of the same thing with one of my colleagues last year. She asked me where I buy my clothing because she needed new things. The look on her face when I told her my clothes are mainly second-hand! ;)

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #3254 on: November 18, 2016, 06:13:33 AM »
I over-contributed to my RRSPs.... again.

My company matches contributions and it comes off automatically from my paycheque.  This is my second time over-contributing after returning from mat leave, where my contribution room is lower due to my earnings in the previous year being lower.  The first time I did it, it just didn't occur to me that I would have less room to contribute.  I just went on auto-pilot and contributed the max all year long.  I was a real headache to sort out with the Canada Revenue Agency, but I didn't have to pay any fees due to a 2K grace zone. 

But, I did it again.  This time I blame changing phones.  I had alerts set up on my old phone to remind me to check my contributions.  But then I inherited DH's old phone and didn't transfer the alerts.  So I over-contributed again (over 2K and I know I'll have to pay a fine :(

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #3255 on: November 18, 2016, 06:58:21 AM »

My company matches contributions and it comes off automatically from my paycheque.  This is my second time over-contributing after returning from mat leave, where my contribution room is lower due to my earnings in the previous year being lower.  The first time I did it, it just didn't occur to me that I would have less room to contribute.  I just went on auto-pilot and contributed the max all year long.  I was a real headache to sort out with the Canada Revenue Agency, but I didn't have to pay any fees due to a 2K grace zone. 

But, I did it again.  This time I blame changing phones.  I had alerts set up on my old phone to remind me to check my contributions.  But then I inherited DH's old phone and didn't transfer the alerts.  So I over-contributed again (over 2K and I know I'll have to pay a fine :(

Awww that sucks! A few years ago I made a mess on my TFSA (closed the one in the bank and opened one with Investors Group) and I had to pay over 800$ of penalty... I was so fucking MAD at myself tor such a silly mistake what costed me so much! Then again, I reminded myself I could take the hit, so it's to file under "Live and learn". 

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #3256 on: November 18, 2016, 07:06:35 AM »

That's actually a good idea... I do have a machine, but I never actually used it yet. It will probably come out crap... then again, is to be used a couple of days, then just around the house... I might give it a try!

I should have just included this in my first response, but here is a pretty thorough diy.  I haven't used it, but it looks like her instructions are clear. http://mellysews.com/2014/12/sew-robe-easy-tutorial.html

Here is one with a printable pattern. http://www.sewitalltv.com/episodes/series_900/episode_906.html

Thank you, it looks super easy! Now I'll look into how cheap can I find the fabric...

TrMama

« Reply #3257 on: November 18, 2016, 07:30:02 AM »

Awww that sucks! A few years ago I made a mess on my TFSA (closed the one in the bank and opened one with Investors Group) and I had to pay over 800$ of penalty... I was so fucking MAD at myself tor such a silly mistake what costed me so much! Then again, I reminded myself I could take the hit, so it's to file under "Live and learn".

Ouch! I did something similar just last month. Mine was due to one large transaction and I realized my math failure within a couple of days. I called TD and they were able to magically reverse the transaction. Can you try calling the bank and claim to be not very bright? It's hard on the ego, but easier on the stash.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #3258 on: November 18, 2016, 07:36:47 AM »
I'm going to find out at the end of December if DH's new company will stop the 401-K contributions at the federal limit.  If they don't he will over-contribute by like $50.  I'm hoping since this is a large company that they actually know what to do in this situation!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #3259 on: November 18, 2016, 08:00:53 AM »
All this talk of excess contributions reminds me, I COMPLETELY forgot to change my biweekly contribution to TSP from $693 to $692 earlier this year, like I was supposed to... and it takes so long to process those changes that I can't do anything now. I am doomed to overcontribute by $18, according to my math. Now I have to figure out if it's worth the time to fill out all that ridiculous paperwork just to get it back....

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3260 on: November 18, 2016, 10:31:46 AM »
All this talk of excess contributions reminds me, I COMPLETELY forgot to change my biweekly contribution to TSP from $693 to $692 earlier this year, like I was supposed to... and it takes so long to process those changes that I can't do anything now. I am doomed to overcontribute by $18, according to my math. Now I have to figure out if it's worth the time to fill out all that ridiculous paperwork just to get it back....

TSP contributions are automatically cut off at the limit (I always set mine up to over-contribute rather than under-contribute, and it's never been a problem), provided you are reaching the limit all in one type of TSP.  If you contribute to both civilian and uniformed accounts, it's up to you to make sure the combined total doesn't exceed the cap.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3261 on: November 19, 2016, 08:53:04 AM »
We qualify for a $50 rebate on the thermostat we just installed form our energy counsel! Unfortunately, part of the documentation they want is work orders from a contractor who did the install, and proof we paid the contractor in full. We DIY'd the install... hope it still goes through! =o

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3262 on: November 19, 2016, 05:57:31 PM »
I didn't get an eBates payment for last quarter because I didn't do enough online shopping to accumulate the $5 minimum to pay out.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #3263 on: November 19, 2016, 06:11:22 PM »
Got a stack of formula coupons in the mail. Can't use them as we get all of our formula for free.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3264 on: November 19, 2016, 06:18:24 PM »
Got a stack of formula coupons in the mail. Can't use them as we get all of our formula for free.

Gift those through your local Buy Nothing Group! They are a hot item, haha.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3265 on: November 20, 2016, 03:00:20 AM »
wtf is formula?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3266 on: November 20, 2016, 03:16:17 AM »
wtf is formula?

Milk powder. Baby food.

They don't have it on your planet?

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3267 on: November 20, 2016, 03:24:27 AM »

Gift those through your local Buy Nothing Group! They are a hot item, haha.

Good idea. I've been hoarding them, but it looks like we are on track to need to purchase little, if any formula for the first year.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3268 on: November 22, 2016, 06:14:31 PM »
wtf is formula?

Milk powder. Baby food.

Don't worry, it took me a while to figure it out too.  When you think about it, it's really a strange name for baby food powder. 

Sometimes I wonder why we call the dishwasher a dishwasher and not a washing machine.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3269 on: November 22, 2016, 06:26:31 PM »

If it is not too much over, you can fill out a form to ask nicely for the fine to be waived,... they actually do this for an innocent error with a good reason why it was unintentional...

I ran into this last year and it was a pain..

If your CRA My Account balance or notice of assessment shows that you have exceeded the limits and owe taxes on excess contributions to an RRSP, then resolving the situation involves filing a tax form and paying the penalty tax or asking the CRA for a waiver. To report and pay the tax, file the Individual Tax Return for RRSP Excess Contributions, Form T1-OVP. To ask for a waiver, you must show that the excess contributions were an honest mistake and that you are making an effort to remove the over-contributions. The CRA will ask you to explain why you contributed too much. If you removed the excess, provide documentation, such as statements from your RRSP showing the withdrawals.  https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax-resources/retirement-taxes/how-to-resolve-rrsp-over-contributions.jsp

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3270 on: November 23, 2016, 04:39:21 AM »
wtf is formula?

Milk powder. Baby food.

Don't worry, it took me a while to figure it out too.  When you think about it, it's really a strange name for baby food powder. 

Sometimes I wonder why we call the dishwasher a dishwasher and not a washing machine.

*Sigh* I'm starting to feel old when I post on the internet about good deals I get on baby food, and there are suddenly people who have no idea what I'm talking about. :( Is it really all downhill after your mid-twenties?

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3271 on: November 23, 2016, 05:55:46 AM »
wtf is formula?

Milk powder. Baby food.

*Sigh* I'm starting to feel old when I post on the internet about good deals I get on baby food, and there are suddenly people who have no idea what I'm talking about. :( Is it really all downhill after your mid-twenties?

They have it on my planet, but in my part of the globe we call that Milchpulver and Babynahrung. Which I have never bought anyway.
I only know the word formula from formulas, like in chemistry or math.
Ah, on that topic, since I just read it on the Overheard thread: Can you imagine my confusion when I first read the word "baby shower" in connection to some unknown brand names (and fairly solid stuff) to bring?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 05:59:16 AM by LennStar »

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3272 on: November 23, 2016, 06:09:01 AM »
They have it on my planet, but in my part of the globe we call that Milchpulver and Babynahrung. Which I have never bought anyway.
Ah, on that topic, since I just read it on the Overheard thread: Can you imagine my confusion when I first read the word "baby shower" in connection to some unknown brand names (and fairly solid stuff) to bring?

Ha! Yeah, taken in a literal context, it would be a pretty strange group ritual. Maybe it still is!

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #3273 on: November 23, 2016, 06:25:23 AM »
wtf is formula?

Milk powder. Baby food.

If you're ever looking for a tagline on the forum... "Don't let my perfect English deceive you; I am actually German."  :)

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3274 on: November 23, 2016, 02:01:25 PM »
this will be our son's first xmas. I have been hounded for the last couple of months about what our son needs/wants for xmas. I've told them "money for college". Everybody just laughs at me.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #3275 on: November 23, 2016, 02:13:31 PM »
If you're ever looking for a tagline on the foruminternet... "Don't let my perfect English deceive you; I am actually German."  :)
fixed

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3276 on: November 23, 2016, 02:24:44 PM »
this will be our son's first xmas. I have been hounded for the last couple of months about what our son needs/wants for xmas. I've told them "money for college". Everybody just laughs at me.
Yep

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3277 on: November 23, 2016, 06:10:56 PM »
wtf is formula?

Milk powder. Baby food.

I'm sorry, the planet comment was bitchy.

Please accept this peace offering: a clip of comedian Danny Bhoy taking the piss out of Australians for the creative way we name things. :)

https://youtu.be/uXFcxsKcMrI

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3278 on: November 24, 2016, 04:27:56 AM »

I hope you said. "Just kidding. He'd like _____. But make sure it has a gift receipt." :D

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3279 on: November 24, 2016, 05:01:50 AM »

I hope you said. "Just kidding. He'd like _____. But make sure it has a gift receipt." :D

actually we did. knowing the college fund idea would be laughed at my wife sent out an email explaining what sizes of everything he wears and the fact that we have about 5,000 stuffed animals and he has no interest in them what so ever. and the last sentence does ask for gift receipts to be included lol.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #3280 on: November 24, 2016, 08:23:56 AM »

Tell everyone your child loves Disney.  You can buy it online too!  search for "DIS"

I wonder what is better, using money that would go towards a 529 to invest in your child's retirement or have money to go towards college loans. 

In the above example, if you start putting money away for your child 50 years before his/her retirement, talk about compounding...

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3281 on: November 24, 2016, 08:52:48 AM »

Well, in the UK we couldn't call it a washing machine because then what would we call our... washing machine?

(Do you not call your washing machine a washing machine? Do you call it a 'washer?' Or am I just totally missing the joke / point?)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3282 on: November 24, 2016, 09:28:38 AM »

Well, in the UK we couldn't call it a washing machine because then what would we call our... washing machine?

(Do you not call your washing machine a washing machine? Do you call it a 'washer?' Or am I just totally missing the joke / point?)

Here it is a washing machine as well, unless you say dryer in the same phrase - i.e. "I got a new washer/dryer set".  I think they got called dishwashers because they are so much newer than clothes washing machines, so needed to be named something clear to avoid confusion.  HTH.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #3283 on: November 24, 2016, 11:12:01 AM »
Call one of them a "cleaning machine" and enjoy confusing foreigners even more.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3284 on: November 24, 2016, 10:37:57 PM »

I call the machine that washes clothes a clothes washer
I call the thing that washes dishes a wishy washy disherydoo
I call a snake a slippery dippery long mover

And so on and so forth

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #3285 on: November 25, 2016, 12:34:06 AM »
Here on the internet the proper term for snake is danger noodle.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3286 on: November 25, 2016, 01:35:57 AM »
Here on the internet the proper term for snake is danger noodle.

I've lost my dictionary; does that include harmless snakes?

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #3287 on: November 25, 2016, 02:26:36 AM »
there are no harmless snakes

UKMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #3288 on: November 25, 2016, 02:51:36 AM »

Someone I knew many years ago referred to wasps as 'flying c**ts'.

As much as I have tried to stop (because my wife hates that word) I do find it describes them perfectly.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3289 on: November 25, 2016, 03:09:00 AM »
They are all 'armless.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #3290 on: November 25, 2016, 01:34:10 PM »

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3291 on: November 26, 2016, 08:14:04 PM »
Totally appreciating the hilarity, but back on topic...

I signed up for Uber using Husband's code (he used them when he couldn't drive for a month following surgery) so that I could get to the hospital for my operation. Husband was at work and I was fine, no point him missing a day when he needed to bring me home the next day.

The coupon was for your first trip for free up to $10. I was pissed because my trip only "cost" $7, so I left $3 in the kitty.

I'll probably never use it again. It will just sit there forever.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3292 on: November 27, 2016, 09:46:18 AM »

I signed up for Uber using Husband's code (he used them when he couldn't drive for a month following surgery) so that I could get to the hospital for my operation. Husband was at work and I was fine, no point him missing a day when he needed to bring me home the next day.

The coupon was for your first trip for free up to $10. I was pissed because my trip only "cost" $7, so I left $3 in the kitty.

Good luck with your operation!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3293 on: November 28, 2016, 03:55:50 AM »

Good luck with your operation!

Yes, hope all goes well, Primm.

McBuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3294 on: November 30, 2016, 08:08:07 AM »
With my Rogers Mastercard, the cashback rewards can be redeemed every month towards my phone bill. However, the minimum  redemption amount is $20 and my cell phone bill is only $15,  so my rewards balance keeps growing :(

gliderpilot567

• Stubble
« Reply #3295 on: November 30, 2016, 09:22:33 AM »
My MPP is probably already on here but whatever: I've been purging so much stuff, I'm running out of crap to sell on CL/Ebay or donate. Good thing Xmas is coming, so relatives can gift me stuff to replenish my crap supply.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #3296 on: December 01, 2016, 07:03:27 AM »
I've been purging so much stuff, I'm running out of crap to sell on CL/Ebay or donate. Good thing Xmas is coming, so relatives can gift me stuff to replenish my crap supply.

Laugh of the day! Don't worry, there's also work Secret Santa.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3297 on: December 01, 2016, 09:28:40 AM »
The electric company installed smart meters this summer and is now sending letters, emails, etc about power usage. Apparently, 2/3 of my neighbors use less power than we do. Ok, I will admit we could do better. In particular, I should replace lightbulbs, but 85% of them (I counted) are these really stupid size that last I checked they didn't make bulbs that would fit the light fixtures in LED or anything else other than what's in there. I'm not replacing the light fixtures in a rental.

Except.
There are several vacant units around us, so minimal/no power usage.
There's 2 people in my unit, and easily 1/3 of the occupied units only have 1 person.
It's townhouses. There's a fairly high proportion of people who travel for work (leaving the spouse at home or no one there), are retired/semi retired and travel (same).

When I add all this up, I actually expect my electric use to be higher than about 2/3 of my neighbors. So the electric company really isn't telling me anything helpful.

For future reference, don't get light fixtures that require tiny lightbulbs that are non-standard size and are enclosed so you can't put anything else in them. I actually had trouble finding replacement bulbs when we moved in! They're not even pretty.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3298 on: December 01, 2016, 10:54:26 AM »

That's all I give my nieces and nephews for Christmas. They have plenty of stuff. Their parents are super happy with the arrangement.

My child is unborn and I'm still getting too much stuff for her for Christmas. Seems everyone is sending an outfit.  At least they have the good sense to send 3-6 month clothes (and appropriately seasoned, assuming she is average sized) and not newborn, but for Christmas? She won't be in that until June or July!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3299 on: December 01, 2016, 11:17:02 AM »
The electric company installed smart meters this summer and is now sending letters, emails, etc about power usage. Apparently, 2/3 of my neighbors use less power than we do. Ok, I will admit we could do better. In particular, I should replace lightbulbs, but 85% of them (I counted) are these really stupid size that last I checked they didn't make bulbs that would fit the light fixtures in LED or anything else other than what's in there. I'm not replacing the light fixtures in a rental.

Except.
There are several vacant units around us, so minimal/no power usage.
There's 2 people in my unit, and easily 1/3 of the occupied units only have 1 person.
It's townhouses. There's a fairly high proportion of people who travel for work (leaving the spouse at home or no one there), are retired/semi retired and travel (same).

When I add all this up, I actually expect my electric use to be higher than about 2/3 of my neighbors. So the electric company really isn't telling me anything helpful.

For future reference, don't get light fixtures that require tiny lightbulbs that are non-standard size and are enclosed so you can't put anything else in them. I actually had trouble finding replacement bulbs when we moved in! They're not even pretty.

I'm curious what these bulbs are.  In my experience, they make led bulbs for everything these days although sometimes they are too big for the space.  I probably wouldn't buy nonstandard led bulbs for a rental though, since you wouldn't be able to use them elsewhere

What's your electric usage per month per person?