Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086982 times)

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #3150 on: October 24, 2016, 06:19:01 PM »
There's actually a very good chance these workshops won't even happen. Since our HR department can't math, they haven't yet figured out our 25 person strong office won't be able to field 3 groups of 10 for the workshops. Each presentation requires a minimum of 10 people.

Why are people who can't math in charge of the retirement program?

Heh, reminds me of a presentation our HR group gave at our very scientist/engineer heavy small company some years back.  They were going through the usual HR presentation of generic bullet points, mixed with a few simple graphs, which could have been condensed to two slides of actual information, and put up a pie chart, maybe it was percentages of people in different categories.  A ripple of laughter went around the room, and the head of HR, who was sitting next to me, turned to me and asked why.  "The percentages on that pie chart add up to 115%."  was my reply.  "Oh, you engineers!"  was her exasperated reply. . .

These are pretty scary stories -- since these are the folks who handle our paychecks and our withholdings. And yes, these things do matter. Would you like me to tell you about the time HR accidentally sent me a check for over $1,000 that I had to return & explain why it was not owed to me?

Yes please!  That sounds like a perfect MPP!

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3151 on: October 24, 2016, 08:20:03 PM »
There's actually a very good chance these workshops won't even happen. Since our HR department can't math, they haven't yet figured out our 25 person strong office won't be able to field 3 groups of 10 for the workshops. Each presentation requires a minimum of 10 people.

Heh, reminds me of a presentation our HR group gave at our very scientist/engineer heavy small company some years back.  They were going through the usual HR presentation of generic bullet points, mixed with a few simple graphs, which could have been condensed to two slides of actual information, and put up a pie chart, maybe it was percentages of people in different categories.  A ripple of laughter went around the room, and the head of HR, who was sitting next to me, turned to me and asked why.  "The percentages on that pie chart add up to 115%."  was my reply.  "Oh, you engineers!"  was her exasperated reply. . .

These are pretty scary stories -- since these are the folks who handle our paychecks and our withholdings. And yes, these things do matter. Would you like me to tell you about the time HR accidentally sent me a check for over $1,000 that I had to return & explain why it was not owed to me?

Yes please!  That sounds like a perfect MPP!

It's actually a mistake that makes me pretty paranoid about HR's money-handling skills.

Basically HR accidentally took withholding for everyone's transit-allocated funds one pay period, which are supposed to be tax free. So they announced that we would be receiving a check for the amount of money that was accidentally withheld. A few days later I receive a check for $1,000+. I got pretty excited (because it's $1,000 -- who wouldn't!), but as I racked my brain, I couldn't think of a single reason why I would be receiving a check in that amount. It then occurred to me that I was supposed to be receiving a check returning the accidental withholding, but that would only come out to . . . $35.

I called HR, and they said, yes the check you received is the return of the money that was mistakenly withheld. "How is that possible? Wasn't the tax on the transit funds only about $35?" (Plus, I wasn't missing $1,000 from my paycheck).

I was told to send back the check. (I still think they should have let me keep that check as a peacekeeping bonus).

TrMama

« Reply #3152 on: October 24, 2016, 08:32:56 PM »

Payroll, which is a different group than the math-challenged HR group, has not managed to get my paycheck correct once in the past 4-5 pay cycles. They also seem to have stopped handing out hardcopy pay stubbs, which is only making it harder for me to annoy them with my requests to please pay me the correct amount.

For anyone waiting with bated breath about whether I was going to step out of the FIRE closet, I opted to split the difference and request a spot in sessions 2 and 3. I'm hoping they'll just think I'm delusional about how early I plan to retire.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3153 on: October 24, 2016, 08:45:24 PM »
For anyone waiting with bated breath about whether I was going to step out of the FIRE closet, I opted to split the difference and request a spot in sessions 2 and 3. I'm hoping they'll just think I'm delusional about how early I plan to retire.
Good to hear!  I hope these sessions actually happen, and that they are informative.

I actually just taught 2 sessions on our defined-contribution plan, because the talks I'd been to had been so unhelpful.  I read all the literature and spit back out the useful/interesting/relevant bits, while putting my own spin on it.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3154 on: October 24, 2016, 08:48:46 PM »
The only time I was paid hourly (student job) the payroll dept got confused if your shift started and finished on different dates - like the entire night shift.  They got really confused if you worked more than 12hours in a shift.

Clock on at 9:00 pm, clock off at 9:30am and get paid for 30min.
Query with payroll, yes 9:30-9:00 = 0:30 = half an hour pay. Had to get a shift manager to try and explain to them why they were wrong.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3155 on: October 25, 2016, 05:28:30 PM »
Well they could have instead:

09:30-18:00 = -8:30 you owe us.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3156 on: October 25, 2016, 10:21:46 PM »
Where do they get these people????

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3157 on: October 26, 2016, 04:08:41 AM »
A MPP I just encountered: When your toddler chucking your phone in the toilet is not an emergency, and instead the purchase of a replacement phone means that you will no longer have to worry about manufacturing spending to meet the minimum spend on the credit card you're currently churning.

Tyn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3158 on: October 26, 2016, 06:16:45 AM »
Feeling guilty about replacing my old washing up gloves before they have a hole in them (been using them for about a year and the fingers have got really stiff so it makes them awkward to use), they are in the cupboard for when I have any particularly heavy cleaning to do around the house but it still feels a bit indulgent.

Read through this thread before posting and someone linked to an article on electric heating, now I have lots of ideas about things to do to stop myself from freezing over the winter without costing a load of money. Which is good, but also requires research and maybe even going into a shop.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3159 on: October 26, 2016, 06:48:51 AM »
I have a sad MPP: turns out if our heating goes below about 19 or 20C, my lips turn blue. No one else would understand why you might want to experiment with the lowest tolerable interior temperature.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #3160 on: October 26, 2016, 05:37:01 PM »
I have a sad MPP: turns out if our heating goes below about 19 or 20C, my lips turn blue. No one else would understand why you might want to experiment with the lowest tolerable interior temperature.
That is a problem. I'm currently running 63f in the day and 60f at night. 20c/68f is what I find comfortable to set things to when I'm not worrying about money or running experiments on myself. I think what I've got things set too now is tolerable, but lower than what I'll likely settle on long term. I've been running at these temps a couple weeks now. Part of the problem is it's a bit too humid indoors at these temps 70ish percent

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3161 on: October 27, 2016, 01:10:48 AM »

Does this also happen when you are outside? If not; can you do spot heating, or something about clothing?

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3162 on: October 27, 2016, 01:26:32 AM »

Does this also happen when you are outside? If not; can you do spot heating, or something about clothing?

The problem is really because I work from home which means a lot of sitting still all day in whatever temperature. Outside I'd at least be walking. I'm all over jumpers and leg warmers and blankets but having to strap a hot water bottle to my front every day is probably beyond my limit.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3163 on: October 27, 2016, 09:14:13 AM »

The problem is really because I work from home which means a lot of sitting still all day in whatever temperature. Outside I'd at least be walking. I'm all over jumpers and leg warmers and blankets but having to strap a hot water bottle to my front every day is probably beyond my limit.
DH got one of these electric blankets that fit in the office chair. Now there is much less complaining when I turn down the thermostat.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3164 on: October 28, 2016, 07:48:51 AM »

DH got one of these electric blankets that fit in the office chair. Now there is much less complaining when I turn down the thermostat.

We have 2 electric fleece blankets on the couch for this reason.  Wife and I both used them last night while streaming a couple tv shows as the house temperature dipped to 57F because we haven't turned the furnace on yet.

yuka

• Bristles
« Reply #3165 on: November 02, 2016, 05:20:08 PM »

Ouch, that is sad! 15C is my comfortable heating temperature in the winter. What I wouldn't do for that right now...

My sort-of MPP is that I'm only home from work before sunrise and after sunset, so I can't really see how my plants are handling the 85F/30C days outside.

Jappe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3166 on: November 03, 2016, 08:11:17 AM »

We have 2 electric fleece blankets on the couch for this reason.  Wife and I both used them last night while streaming a couple tv shows as the house temperature dipped to 57F because we haven't turned the furnace on yet.
Any idea on the energy usage of electric blankets? I use a normal blanket for comfort and a bit for extra warmth but heat the house (living room mainly) quite a bit more than you. 17C at night, 20 when i'm home. (63-68°F)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3167 on: November 03, 2016, 09:23:57 AM »

Any idea on the energy usage of electric blankets? I use a normal blanket for comfort and a bit for extra warmth but heat the house (living room mainly) quite a bit more than you. 17C at night, 20 when i'm home. (63-68°F)

I don't remember exactly, but it pales in comparison to running the furnace or an electric heater.  I have a kill-a-watt meter and I plugged in to monitor how much electricity was being used.  The blanket has a high watt rating, but in practice it uses far less than the max stated rating, and cycles on/off constantly once it's warm.  I calculated out something like a couple dollars to use the blanket all winter, compared with several hundred dollars to raise our thermostat 10 degrees.  I will plug my kill-a-watt meter back into the blanket and report back later with actual usage. 

I also use a heating pad for my dog at night when the temp starts getting cold (when the night time bedroom temperature will be below about 55F).  I wrap it in a towel, and put it under a folded comforter and set it at the lowest setting.  It gets slightly warm, but not nearly hot enough to be a problem (far less hot than the hvac vent I find her sleeping on).  When I plugged the heating pad into the meter to find out how much electricity is used I found it to use nearly nothing (less than a dollar all winter).  It essentially turns off once the dogs body heat warms the entire bed up warm enough. 

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3168 on: November 03, 2016, 10:02:27 AM »
My issue with a heated blanket is that it makes me want to stay where I am and no do anything that disrupts the blanket and lets cold air in. Some mustacian needs to invent heated clothes (if it hasn't already been done!), because otherwise I have to decide between productivity or using more logs.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3169 on: November 03, 2016, 10:51:13 AM »
My issue with a heated blanket is that it makes me want to stay where I am and no do anything that disrupts the blanket and lets cold air in. Some mustacian needs to invent heated clothes (if it hasn't already been done!), because otherwise I have to decide between productivity or using more logs.

When I am just sitting on the couch watching tv or playing video games it's a deliberate choice anyway and I don't have a problem getting up and moving on to the next activity.  If I am in bed, then I don't want to get out regardless of whether I have a heating blanket or not, I just don't want to get out of bed period.  Especially when it's cold. 

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3170 on: November 03, 2016, 01:52:18 PM »

The snuggie?  An adult onesie?

mooshie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3171 on: November 03, 2016, 02:50:02 PM »
People look at me like I have 2 heads when I try to talk about some interesting person's personal finance blog. And I get questions like, "So, how long does he figure he can travel the world on $1.5M (or $600K, or whatever, the number never seems to matter, no one seems to think it can be done.) before he runs out of money?" Then I look at them like they have 2 heads and have to remind myself that not everyone understands the 4% rule. I usually just answer with something like, "I don't know, but he's living off the interest, so I guess forever." Because I don't have the energy to explain it to them.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #3172 on: November 03, 2016, 03:51:39 PM »

Yup, heated clothes already exist!
Battery-powered heated socks
Battery-powered heated gloves
Heated everything!
There are many versions of these; these are just some of the first results in Google.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3173 on: November 03, 2016, 04:33:53 PM »

Heated everything!
There are many versions of these; these are just some of the first results in Google.

I saw a demo of some reusable heating pad where you boil it to reset and then later you can activate it.  Seemed really cool, but I didn't buy it cause it was a bit pricey.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3174 on: November 03, 2016, 04:41:52 PM »

Heated everything!

I saw a demo of some reusable heating pad where you boil it to reset and then later you can activate it.  Seemed really cool, but I didn't buy it cause it was a bit pricey.

I have these - hand sized ones. I have used them exactly twice because the boiling is a huge PITA.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3175 on: November 03, 2016, 05:27:20 PM »

Heated everything!

I have these - hand sized ones. I have used them exactly twice because the boiling is a huge PITA.

Yeah, it seemed like it would be wasteful unless you were doing them in bulk, but then you'd have to buy like a couple dozen

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3176 on: November 03, 2016, 05:29:29 PM »

Heated everything!

I have a pack of these from Body Comfort (got a pack with a large one, two hand warmers, two feet shaped ones for $30 I think?) and I love them. They're not super convenient since you have to remember to boil them, so not really a daily thing, but they're a good alternative to a soak in the tub for muscle pains. I use them at least a couple of times a month. FWIW I've had them for 2+ years now and the small ones are developing crystals but they still work, though I imagine at some point I'll have to replace them.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #3177 on: November 03, 2016, 07:43:43 PM »

Heated everything!

I have one I used a lot when I was younger. Mostly for camping. The chemistry behind them is actually quite simple. Simple enough that if you can make them at home if you so desire.

It's just food grade Sodium acetate and water with a flexible metal disc. All the disc does is get the reaction started by getting a couple crystals to solidify after which the reaction is self sustaining. You could boil the thing in the same water you use to make pasta so long as the plastic holding everything together is not a toxic plastic. Even if the thing split open sodium acetate is edible. No idea how it tastes. Make yourself a baking soda and vinegar volcano for your kids next 1950's school science project, use the resulting sodium acetate to make handwarmers....

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3178 on: November 03, 2016, 08:29:51 PM »

I know the Motorcycle cops in Michigan have jackets/gloves that they plug into their bikes when it is above freezing to about 50*

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #3179 on: November 03, 2016, 11:21:52 PM »
They make Milwaukee heated jackets so if you already have Milwaukee tools it might be a cost effective option.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3180 on: November 04, 2016, 05:16:27 AM »

My husband bought me a snuggie, there is just so much fabric is it impossible to move around without tripping, and, this is also a problem with the adult onesie, and TMI to boot, but going to the loo is fraught with danger. Also, he choose a cream colour, and I seriously looked like a klansmen, or someone dressed as a ghost on Halloween. Sold it on ebay though!

I've come to the conclusion that many many base layers and keeping the fire stoked enough to discourage me from using a blanket is the best way to keep me up and around. Otherwise I'm under a blanket all day and get nothing done and refuse to move so I can cook dinner.

I guess trying to save logs to the point of ordering takeaway could go in the 'Failed frugal intentions' thread!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3181 on: November 04, 2016, 06:00:38 AM »
Long underwear makes living in a cold house a much more pleasant experience.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3182 on: November 04, 2016, 06:22:55 AM »

+1

Specifically layers of merino wool are awesome, then drag around a small
throw blanket when you're going to be stationary for long periods of time,
e.g. reading a great book with some hot tea.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3183 on: November 06, 2016, 07:36:03 AM »
I had to transfer my overtime money to the Vanguard Settlement Fund today as I reached the $10,000 limit to convert to my VTSXM to Admiral shares on Friday.  I'll have to wait until the funds are "settled to add my next transfer.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3184 on: November 07, 2016, 07:43:27 AM »

+1

Specifically layers of merino wool are awesome, then drag around a small
throw blanket when you're going to be stationary for long periods of time,
e.g. reading a great book with some hot tea.

Fleece lined slippers with wool socks, a shawl to keep the upper back and neck warm, and fingerless mitts.  There is a reason knitting/crochet are popular hobbies in cold climates.

Reynold

• Bristles
« Reply #3185 on: November 07, 2016, 09:09:49 AM »
I also use a heating pad for my dog at night when the temp starts getting cold (when the night time bedroom temperature will be below about 55F).  I wrap it in a towel, and put it under a folded comforter and set it at the lowest setting.  It gets slightly warm, but not nearly hot enough to be a problem (far less hot than the hvac vent I find her sleeping on).  When I plugged the heating pad into the meter to find out how much electricity is used I found it to use nearly nothing (less than a dollar all winter).  It essentially turns off once the dogs body heat warms the entire bed up warm enough.

Be careful with this one, I had a work colleague whose house burned partly down because their dog gnawed on the heating pad or cord and it shorted and caught fire in the garage.  A ground fault interrupter socket might prevent this, I'm not sure, but a breaker almost certainly won't. 

We use an electric mattress pad warmer for the bed, it lasts longer than an electric blanket because it doesn't have to be as flexible as a blanket.  Just turn it on before going to bed and the bed is nice and toasty, then thick covers and body heat do the rest. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3186 on: November 07, 2016, 09:15:05 AM »

Be careful with this one, I had a work colleague whose house burned partly down because their dog gnawed on the heating pad or cord and it shorted and caught fire in the garage.  A ground fault interrupter socket might prevent this, I'm not sure, but a breaker almost certainly won't. 

We use an electric mattress pad warmer for the bed, it lasts longer than an electric blanket because it doesn't have to be as flexible as a blanket.  Just turn it on before going to bed and the bed is nice and toasty, then thick covers and body heat do the rest.

She does constantly dig at it, I think so she can lay directly on it.  We turn it off in the morning though.  It's only on while we are in the bedroom with her, so we should catch anything before it turns into a problem.

NorthernDreamer

• Stubble
  • Canada
« Reply #3187 on: November 07, 2016, 11:11:13 AM »
MPP: I think my family assumes we have money issues since before we buy anything new (especially for our kids), I try to find that item used (for much less, usually) first. We usually buy our kids' gifts used (but always in great condition - plus they are 2 and 4 years old, they don't care or even notice that their gifts are never enclosed in plastic and cardboard). No one else in my family has a thrifty mindset and they just.don't.get.it. The thing is, I am pretty certain that my husband and I are in a much better financial position than any of them, so it feels really awkward to decline their offers of help.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3188 on: November 07, 2016, 02:04:01 PM »
When someone at work doesn't realize the people they're making fun of include you and you have to just sit there silently.

"Those nasty hippies who use crystal deoderant". Yes i use it but I also bathe regularly so I don't stink.

"I went to goodwill for a Halloween costume hahaha it's so quaint there! But then...there are actually people who shop there regularly"

Oh the horror. :eye roll:

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3189 on: November 07, 2016, 02:30:03 PM »
When someone at work doesn't realize the people they're making fun of include you and you have to just sit there silently.

"Those nasty hippies who use crystal deoderant". Yes i use it but I also bathe regularly so I don't stink.

"I went to goodwill for a Halloween costume hahaha it's so quaint there! But then...there are actually people who shop there regularly"

I had that a couple of times in my old office when one of my bosses would have to take the public bus for some reason (it was the clear winner of transit choices when going to a couple of places, so they would do it even though they hated it). I took the bus to work every day and they would be going on about "those awful bus people" you have to sit next to when you take the bus through the neighborhood I lived in...

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #3190 on: November 07, 2016, 08:15:42 PM »
Even when I rode the bus every day...there would be those awful bus people. You know the ones. They're not on every bus, but when one gets on...oh shit.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3191 on: November 07, 2016, 08:23:47 PM »
Yep

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3192 on: November 07, 2016, 08:24:08 PM »
Even when I rode the bus every day...there would be those awful bus people. You know the ones. They're not on every bus, but when one gets on...oh shit.

pdx monkey....

yep, I think we've met the same bus people.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3193 on: November 07, 2016, 09:04:28 PM »

pdx monkey....

In my neighborhood the subway people are way worse than the bus people. Sometimes at night I take the bus even though it takes a little longer, just because it's so relaxing in comparison to the subway.

It was clear from context that my bosses were not talking about "that one guy who gets on at the rehab center and drools on you" or something, but rather all people who ride buses are "those bus people" to them.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3194 on: November 10, 2016, 09:01:58 AM »
Yeah, in Chicago a common MPP (and not just for fun) is having to put up with the people who call the subway system their home during the colder months.

Sometimes mentally ill, sometimes aggressive and/or argumentative, nearly always filthy and smelly, and occasionally using the subway as a toilet.  It's not even that cold yet here, but these problems have already begun.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3195 on: November 10, 2016, 10:54:52 AM »
Yeah, in Chicago a common MPP (and not just for fun) is having to put up with the people who call the subway system their home during the colder months.

Sometimes mentally ill, sometimes aggressive and/or argumentative, nearly always filthy and smelly, and occasionally using the subway as a toilet.  It's not even that cold yet here, but these problems have already begun.

There is one particular encounter that I still remember, 2 years later, and I doubt I'll ever forget. Homeless guy had some sort of infection or other on his leg - but it was about 10x worse than it sounds. I really hope that guy got some help.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #3196 on: November 11, 2016, 02:35:23 PM »
Maybe more of a "Minimalist People Problem" - I have a short-person system in my kitchen where I organize my shelves and cupboards by how often I need to access something, so the things I rarely need go on the high shelves I can't reach without a chair. Well, I've pared down my kitchen to the point that I now have a free high-up shelf, and no kitchen things that I use rarely that still need a home. I'll have to think about this one.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #3197 on: November 12, 2016, 01:28:05 AM »
Is it removable? Take it out and the next shelf down will be able to hold taller stuff

fredbear

• Stubble
« Reply #3198 on: November 12, 2016, 07:21:35 AM »

pdx monkey....

When I rode the bus, the young beauty took a look and never sat next to me.  Someone whose nose had decayed to the point where she applied perfume - the same kind they use on those urinal cakes - by the gallon, would sit next to me.  And say, in a quavering voice, "Oh.  I see you are reading.  I myself used to be a great reader.  What are you reading, there? May I see it?  <Grabs>  Oh.  Why, that's not even in English.  What language is that?  It's quite strange, isn't it?  I myself don't know any languages...."

When I considered the ladies I attracted in contrast to the ladies I repelled, I concluded that Everybody's Somebody's Bus Person. 

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3199 on: November 12, 2016, 10:59:35 AM »
When the stock market futures were tanking since it looked like Trump was going to win I got all excited and set my alarm early (I'm on the west coast) so I could put in some cash I had just gotten.

I woke up just before the market opened, and when it opened the S&P 500 was only down by 50 basis points... then it went up, by a lot. :(

I still put the cash in but I thought I'd be getting a discount. :(

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!