Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086472 times)

radram

• Pencil Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #3100 on: October 03, 2016, 09:12:29 AM »
Cheese freezes well.

But it refrigerates even better. 

I often keep unopened shredded cheese in the refrigerator for months after the date on the package.  Once opened, it does need to be used quicker rather than later.  If I know shredded cheese will be kept for months after its date, I will freeze it.  I just got 6  2 pound packages of shredded colby jack for $2.99 each, so I did freeze all but 1 of them

Hard blocked cheese I keep unopened in the fridge for YEARS.  I never freeze a good block cheese.  If it is unopened and starts to mold, I cut off the mold and eat the rest.  Sometimes a stray open block gets hidden in the fridge and it turns solid green.  Then I throw it away, a very infrequent occurrence. 

I have a grocerie store nearby that discounts their close to expired items instead of destroying them.  I get great deals on many items I buy in bulk and figure out what to do with them later.  Cheese is a great one, because of it's long shelf life.

I was inspired to look after seeing this post.  Some examples of what have now:

$0.99 6 oz Gran Queso  triangle block with a date of 10-19-2013   Great hard cheese.  Good on a firm cracker with a slice of pear.  I even have an open one that is hard as a rock, but not a spec of mold.  I will melt this one someday into something great.

$0.99 7 oz. blocks of Havarti, Swiss and Gouda with dates of 5-9-2016  I got 25 of these when I bought them, still have about 10 left.  Still have 1 of each in the fridge after freezing about half of them when I bought them in May.  Both look great and are unopened and never frozen. 

$0.75 6 oz. Sliced Grand Cru with a date of 11-30-2015  Great harder sliced cheese.  This one I am almost just leaving to see how long before it shows signs of mold.  None yet, but other packages of the same kind did show a little mold.  Cut those out and ate the rest.  Great on a sandwich.

$0.75 6 oz. Sliced Havarti with a date of 12-7-2015.  Another experiment.  This is actually a pretty soft cheese, but still looks very good.  Very slight discoloration on the edges (no mold) so I will be eating this one soon.

$1.99 32 oz. block of Velveeta with a date of  9-5-2016.  I know, this is NOT really cheese, but still relevant.  I have 1 recipe for a great dip that uses an entire block of Velveeta.  The dip freezes well, so for the first time I froze a couple of these blocks and have 1 in the fridge to make the dip this month.  We'll see how it melts after being frozen, but at this price, it was better than getting 3 for the price of 1 so even if I toss the frozen 2, I am still a little ahead.

Freezing cheese is fine, but often not necessary.  I prefer never frozen cheese.

Everyone enjoy your day.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3101 on: October 03, 2016, 11:57:09 AM »
Cheese -- depends on the source.  I've kept Safeway vaccu-sealed cheddar refrigerated  for months and months after getting a really good coupon.  Kept fine.

Trader joes has great cheeses at a good price, but it does NOT last.  They don't vaccu-seal, and you can clearly see where the holes in their packaging are when mold develops.

Many years ago I even had hard chunk Parmesan develop mold and it turned me off to buying it since I can't use it that fast.  Am I doing something wrong with storage?   Would it have been better unwrapped or on the counter?  Maybe I need a cheesecloth!

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3102 on: October 03, 2016, 12:12:56 PM »
I got a pay rise but won't actually have any extra money as I will salary sacrifice it all into my super (retirement) account.

Never get tired of hearing people do this :D

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3103 on: October 03, 2016, 01:03:52 PM »
Cheese -- depends on the source.  I've kept Safeway vaccu-sealed cheddar refrigerated  for months and months after getting a really good coupon.  Kept fine.

Trader joes has great cheeses at a good price, but it does NOT last.  They don't vaccu-seal, and you can clearly see where the holes in their packaging are when mold develops.

Many years ago I even had hard chunk Parmesan develop mold and it turned me off to buying it since I can't use it that fast.  Am I doing something wrong with storage?   Would it have been better unwrapped or on the counter?  Maybe I need a cheesecloth!

Cut the mold off and enjoy the cheese?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3104 on: October 03, 2016, 02:17:59 PM »

Sure, but you have to cut off like an inch, which often leaves you with little/nothing

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #3105 on: October 03, 2016, 02:38:45 PM »

Sure, but you have to cut off like an inch, which often leaves you with little/nothing
Why cut off so much?  I usually only cut off a thin shaving to remove the mold.

Keep in mind that once cheese has started to mold, it will get moldy again quickly since the spores are transferred to the new surface by the knife and cutting board.  Mold will also move from one piece of cheese to another if they are not sealed well. 

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3106 on: October 03, 2016, 03:07:54 PM »

The colored bit you see is only part of the mold, it can send threads much deeper into the cheese.

On the other hand perhaps the mold will cure something you didn't know you had !

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #3107 on: October 03, 2016, 03:08:28 PM »

We just put any opened cheese into a ziploc baggy. That keeps the mold at bay pretty well.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3108 on: October 03, 2016, 03:58:44 PM »

The colored bit you see is only part of the mold, it can send threads much deeper into the cheese.

On the other hand perhaps the mold will cure something you didn't know you had !

The mold that lives in my fridge appears to be Bleu Cheese mold colonizing other cheeses anyway, so i just cut off the visible growths. I could probably just eat it all.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3109 on: October 03, 2016, 04:03:21 PM »

Keep in mind that once cheese has started to mold, it will get moldy again quickly since the spores are transferred to the new surface by the knife and cutting board.  Mold will also move from one piece of cheese to another if they are not sealed well.

1 inch is the standard recommendation (e.g. Mayo Clinic, various health departments) for the reason mentioned by nobodyspecial.  I'm sure it's overly cautious for home use as long as you don't  mind the risk of getting some toxins with your cheese (it may be low enough level that it doesn't make you feel sick).  Still, I don't mess around with ingesting unknown toxins and I can't identify mold by appearance.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3110 on: October 03, 2016, 05:41:33 PM »
Vacuum sealed seems to be the ticket. When you open it, only cut open enough package to get st the cheese you need. Don't touch the cheese with your fingers if you can help it, and use a clean knife. We just peel the vacuum package back from the face of the cheese and then put a sandwich bag over the working end. Works great, and a 2 lb. chunk of cheese lasts for weeks of steady slicing and shredding and chunking off the end. I don't remember the last time we had a mold problem.

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #3111 on: October 03, 2016, 07:27:09 PM »
I remember I accidentally ate some bad cheese once (was distracted, and it kind of had a funky taste already, so I didn't realize what I'd done until I started to feel sick). Felt sick, puked, felt better, end of story.

Hard cheese, I'll just cut off the mold. Soft cheese gets tossed if it starts to get questionable.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3112 on: October 03, 2016, 08:58:46 PM »
I remember I accidentally ate some bad cheese once (was distracted, and it kind of had a funky taste already, so I didn't realize what I'd done until I started to feel sick). Felt sick, puked, felt better, end of story.

Hard cheese, I'll just cut off the mold. Soft cheese gets tossed if it starts to get questionable.

did you died?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3113 on: October 03, 2016, 09:14:08 PM »
did you died?

What happened to your avatar?

I guess I like this one better!

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3114 on: October 03, 2016, 09:35:01 PM »

Yes, this.  Food safety is a much bigger concern with soft or fresh cheese.  All that moisture provides a great environment for bad bugs to grow.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3115 on: October 04, 2016, 07:58:05 AM »

If you like some toxins in your diet, go on with shaving.
The reason that the mold comes back fast is less because of the knife transfer but more because of all the bits already inside the cheese you cant see. Its a mycel, Sherlok! They have deep "roots". That are toxic like the rest. 

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #3116 on: October 04, 2016, 10:18:42 AM »
Problems...

Trying to figure out an excuse to come in late for work on a Tuesday because my grocery cooperative does an annual Member Appreciation day, one day only where everything is 10% off (while supplies last, excludes cheese and dairy but includes meats).

Also, need to borrow/order some storage containers before said Appreciation day so I can ravage the bulk goods and spices...

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3117 on: October 04, 2016, 10:24:13 AM »
Problems...

Trying to figure out an excuse to come in late for work on a Tuesday because my grocery cooperative does an annual Member Appreciation day, one day only where everything is 10% off (while supplies last, excludes cheese and dairy but includes meats).

Also, need to borrow/order some storage containers before said Appreciation day so I can ravage the bulk goods and spices...

"Urologist appointment." No one will ask questions.

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #3118 on: October 04, 2016, 10:43:42 AM »
"Urologist appointment." No one will ask questions.

Haha.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3119 on: October 04, 2016, 10:44:22 AM »
Stupid retirement calculator maxes out at a 40% savings rate.

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3120 on: October 04, 2016, 11:28:25 AM »

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #3121 on: October 04, 2016, 12:49:03 PM »
Any retirement calculator that bases retirement spending on pre-retirement income is not worth using.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3122 on: October 04, 2016, 12:51:36 PM »
My beef is with the Service Canada free retirement income planner.  It is actually a really great tool at allowing you to project all of your revenue after retirement, but the big problem is it doesn't allow you to model projections for retirement earlier than age 50.

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #3123 on: October 04, 2016, 08:32:51 PM »

did you died?

Yeah, but then I came back as Cheesegirl. My super power is forming into a cheese wheel and knocking people over by rolling into them.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3124 on: October 05, 2016, 06:23:03 AM »
So that thing does not allow to set your after-retirement income required lower then 40% BUT allows it for your pre-retirement income?? (savings rate above 60%) Fire that IT guy, he cant even do basic math.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3125 on: October 05, 2016, 08:29:36 AM »
I was updating my car insurance the other day, and entered my annual mileage.  A warning note came up:  Are you sure this is correct?  Most drivers report 12,000-14,000 miles annually.

I'd entered half of that.

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3126 on: October 05, 2016, 09:10:02 AM »
I was updating my car insurance the other day, and entered my annual mileage.  A warning note came up:  Are you sure this is correct?  Most drivers report 12,000-14,000 miles annually.

I called my agent and found out about a low mileage rate. I had to give them my current mileage, and then they will see if I stay under the limit for the year. If not, I have to true up to the higher rate. But even while working I wasn't driving 10K miles per year. So, you may be able to get an even lower rate.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3127 on: October 05, 2016, 10:07:03 AM »

I called my agent and found out about a low mileage rate. I had to give them my current mileage, and then they will see if I stay under the limit for the year. If not, I have to true up to the higher rate. But even while working I wasn't driving 10K miles per year. So, you may be able to get an even lower rate.

How do they verify any of the odometer readings you give them over the phone? 

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3128 on: October 05, 2016, 10:33:04 AM »
Quote from: frugalnacho link=topic=20725.msg1253934#msg1253934

They don't. If you were to have a claim, they could have the assessor look at the odometer and take it from there. I don't intend on finding out how much of a discrepancy I could get away with before it becomes material misrepresentation.

If you claim 5,000 miles per year but then get in a wreck and the odometer reads 100k miles on your 2012 camry, that's pretty damning.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 10:49:30 AM by Paul der Krake »

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3129 on: October 05, 2016, 10:38:19 AM »

My insurance company doesn't require anything.  The first few times I e-mailed them a picture of the odometer, and someone called me and told me that wasn't necessary. 

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3130 on: October 05, 2016, 11:17:22 AM »

Well, actually I emailed a photo of the odometer to my agent. I am with State Farm, I assume other companies do something similar. My agent didn't even request a photo - I did it more so I could remember! The agent was just going to have me send her the miles (which I stated in the email and supplemented with the photo). That started the one year clock re: mileage.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3131 on: October 05, 2016, 11:25:21 AM »
Geico requested a signed statement of current mileage -once a few years ago and not since then.  Usually I keep these kinds of records, but unfortunately I don't remember what the mileage was.  At least I have a smog check every couple years with a dated odometer reading so I can use that.  I figured out that I don't save any money decreasing my mileage under 3k (i.e. 2k is not cheaper than 3k) so I just pay the 3k and that gives me some leeway if I'm high one year due to a road trip or something.

I'm ashamed to admit I don't know what happens if you are wrong on your mileage.  I seem to recall reading that you are still covered but would have to pay extra premiums or something like that but don't quote me on that.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 11:27:14 AM by dragoncar »

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3132 on: October 05, 2016, 11:56:45 AM »
Geico requested a signed statement of current mileage -once a few years ago and not since then.  Usually I keep these kinds of records, but unfortunately I don't remember what the mileage was.  At least I have a smog check every couple years with a dated odometer reading so I can use that.  I figured out that I don't save any money decreasing my mileage under 3k (i.e. 2k is not cheaper than 3k) so I just pay the 3k and that gives me some leeway if I'm high one year due to a road trip or something.

I'm ashamed to admit I don't know what happens if you are wrong on your mileage.  I seem to recall reading that you are still covered but would have to pay extra premiums or something like that but don't quote me on that.

Yep. It depends on what the state requires, but auto insurers usually can't just cancel coverage because you misrepresented the risk. What they are allowed to do is retroactively charge you what they would've charged you had they known at the beginning what they know now. They can also non-renew you after giving whatever required notice (30-90 days, depending again on the state), which can make it much more difficult to get replacement coverage when another insurer asks "Has coverage ever been non-renewed?" "Oh, yeah, I defrauded my last carrier."

/insurance nerdery

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3133 on: October 06, 2016, 05:16:35 PM »

I wasn't required to provide any documentation.  I don't know what mileage ranges this company uses, but my previous insurance company had different rates for +/- 7500 miles per year.  That one didn't require documentation of <7500 either.

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #3134 on: October 06, 2016, 08:11:29 PM »

For my insurance I have to self-report my mileage twice a year by inputting it online. I can also view my odometer history online, which contains both my self-reported values and some other entries that list the source as "carfax", the dates of which coincide with when I've gotten service/oil changes.

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #3135 on: October 08, 2016, 09:31:17 PM »
Maximised my salary packaging benefits when changing jobs last year without adjusting my HECS (government student loan scheme) payments accordingly - now the tax office wants me to pay another $4000 off my loan.

Feeling grateful that a $4k tax bill is just a minor inconvenience.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3136 on: October 10, 2016, 04:00:56 PM »
Maximised my salary packaging benefits when changing jobs last year without adjusting my HECS (government student loan scheme) payments accordingly - now the tax office wants me to pay another $4000 off my loan.

Feeling grateful that a $4k tax bill is just a minor inconvenience.

Ooh, thanks for the reminder. I've just started another job, so have access to two PBI salary packages (for as long as it takes for the government to work out that little loophole and close it!). I need to tell Second Job to take out extra for HECS so I don't have this issue next year.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #3137 on: October 18, 2016, 07:53:57 AM »
I finally upgraded my phone and the new Android OS doesn't like my two top moneymaking rebate apps so I have to fall back to the backup one (Checkout 51) and install a new one!! (Going from Receipt Hog to Receipt Pal) Oh the pain....I was able to keep the Coupons, Walmart Savings Catcher plus iPoll and Smartapp but I miss the ones I really got a few coins from...

TrMama

« Reply #3138 on: October 21, 2016, 01:33:45 PM »
Ack! Just got a notice from HR about some Retirement Planning Workshops our defined benefit plan provider is putting on. There are 3 different workshops, and the subject matter is based on the time you think you have left until retirement. The categories are >20 yrs, 10-20 yrs or <10 years until retirement. The last one actually has some content that interests me.

I'm 37 and plan to be done by the time I'm 42.  #Awkward

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #3139 on: October 21, 2016, 02:06:35 PM »
Ack! Just got a notice from HR about some Retirement Planning Workshops our defined benefit plan provider is putting on. There are 3 different workshops, and the subject matter is based on the time you think you have left until retirement. The categories are >20 yrs, 10-20 yrs or <10 years until retirement. The last one actually has some content that interests me.

Enjoy your class full of septagenarian co-workers... xD

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3140 on: October 21, 2016, 02:22:13 PM »
My MPP for the day: I had to fill out a commuter transportation survey at work and there was no option for "100% electric vehicle carpool charged with 100% solar power" so now we get penalized for local greenhouse gas emissions that don't really exist.

They're never going to reach their agency-wide GHG emission reduction targets this way...

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3141 on: October 21, 2016, 02:54:57 PM »
My MPP for the day: I had to fill out a commuter transportation survey at work and there was no option for "100% electric vehicle carpool charged with 100% solar power" so now we get penalized for local greenhouse gas emissions that don't really exist.

They're never going to reach their agency-wide GHG emission reduction targets this way...
*facepalm*
How does an agency in the PNW not know those are all things?

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3142 on: October 21, 2016, 03:24:43 PM »

We had something similar a few months ago.  I think our "late career" one was for employees within 5 years of retirement.  I went to the mid-career one even though my retirement timeline is ~2 years.  I thought about asking to go to the late career one also, with the explanation that the more I know about what to expect in the future the better I can plan today.  But I never went through with it. The workshops were two days long and I wasn't able to be out of the office for the extra days at that time.

TrMama

« Reply #3143 on: October 21, 2016, 03:32:54 PM »
Yeah, I could go to the late career one with the explanation that we've taken over managing my MILs portfolio and I'm therefore interested on her behalf. However, I'll probably just skip the whole thing entirely and stay in the closet.

There's actually a very good chance these workshops won't even happen. Since our HR department can't math, they haven't yet figured out our 25 person strong office won't be able to field 3 groups of 10 for the workshops. Each presentation requires a minimum of 10 people.

Why are people who can't math in charge of the retirement program?

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3144 on: October 21, 2016, 04:13:54 PM »
There's actually a very good chance these workshops won't even happen. Since our HR department can't math, they haven't yet figured out our 25 person strong office won't be able to field 3 groups of 10 for the workshops. Each presentation requires a minimum of 10 people.

Hey, another reason to sign up:  you want it to happen for your coworkers' benefit, and you might learn something, too.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3145 on: October 22, 2016, 06:25:33 AM »
Yeah, I could go to the late career one with the explanation that we've taken over managing my MILs portfolio and I'm therefore interested on her behalf. However, I'll probably just skip the whole thing entirely and stay in the closet.

I have a solution to both problems: Have everyone sign up for all workshops.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3146 on: October 23, 2016, 06:01:49 AM »

I have a solution to both problems: Have everyone sign up for all workshops.
Sounds like the best option.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3147 on: October 24, 2016, 03:18:41 PM »
Lovely little neighborhood grocery store relocated closer to my house. Mad because my 10-15min walk is now less than five, and the huge luxurious new store is harder to find things in, without walking past 100 things I didn't know I needed.

Reynold

• Bristles
« Reply #3148 on: October 24, 2016, 03:24:54 PM »

Heh, reminds me of a presentation our HR group gave at our very scientist/engineer heavy small company some years back.  They were going through the usual HR presentation of generic bullet points, mixed with a few simple graphs, which could have been condensed to two slides of actual information, and put up a pie chart, maybe it was percentages of people in different categories.  A ripple of laughter went around the room, and the head of HR, who was sitting next to me, turned to me and asked why.  "The percentages on that pie chart add up to 115%."  was my reply.  "Oh, you engineers!"  was her exasperated reply. . .

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3149 on: October 24, 2016, 03:38:38 PM »

Heh, reminds me of a presentation our HR group gave at our very scientist/engineer heavy small company some years back.  They were going through the usual HR presentation of generic bullet points, mixed with a few simple graphs, which could have been condensed to two slides of actual information, and put up a pie chart, maybe it was percentages of people in different categories.  A ripple of laughter went around the room, and the head of HR, who was sitting next to me, turned to me and asked why.  "The percentages on that pie chart add up to 115%."  was my reply.  "Oh, you engineers!"  was her exasperated reply. . .

These are pretty scary stories -- since these are the folks who handle our paychecks and our withholdings. And yes, these things do matter. Would you like me to tell you about the time HR accidentally sent me a check for over $1,000 that I had to return & explain why it was not owed to me?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!