Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086514 times)

By the River

• Bristles
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #3050 on: September 06, 2016, 07:52:12 AM »
My microwave OCD problem:  My microwave is in the wall above the oven but we brought different brands of the two (saved $300)  Both have blue LED clock readouts but its not the same shade of electronic blue.  I can turn the clock off the microwave but not the oven.  It would kill me to have leftover time on the microwave strictly because of the color not the time. 

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3051 on: September 06, 2016, 09:28:21 AM »
I left the unfinished cooking time at the same time that my sister needs to leave the house to be on time to work. That was the one week she wasn't late (she has flexi time so being late isn't such a big deal) the whole time she worked there. She was not appreciative when she found out but still thinks it was a mistake rather than malice / unwanted helpfulness. You must never tell her.

I have to ask, what was that time? I almost never microwave anything longer than 2 minutes, so my "leftover time" is usually 0:15-0:45. Which would be an odd time to leave for work, and for you to be awake to see her off.

It was 0845, I put the microwave on for 10 minutes because it is one less button than for 2 minutes and I was watching it go.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #3052 on: September 06, 2016, 06:29:50 PM »
I always forget about my IRA since I don't do anything with it at all. Tonight I couldn't figure out why I was coming up slightly short on my math. Bonus, I actually came out ahead lol.

moneysaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3053 on: September 06, 2016, 08:36:32 PM »
I had to stop at a gas station so my 4 year old could use the restroom.  There were several signs around the dinky store that said restrooms were only for paying customers.  Therefore I felt forced into purchasing something. I noticed they had the small packs of gum (5 pieces), I took it to the cashier and was ready to pay when he said , " that will be $1.50".  I said for this small pack of gum?!?!? His response was the bigger packages are the same price you could get one of those. I spent the next 10 minutes trying to find something to buy because I packed all of us enough food and drinks for the ride. I eventually settled on licorice because there was no way in hell that I was going to pay $1.50 for a 5 pack of gum.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3054 on: September 06, 2016, 11:18:27 PM »
MPP: When you make your own fresh ricotta cheese, but have no pigs to fatten with the leftover whey.**

** Instead I will refer to this chart and give it a second purpose in the kitchen: http://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2014/05/36-ways-to-use-whey-and-5-ways-to-make-it/
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 11:20:02 PM by jengod »

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #3055 on: September 07, 2016, 12:46:21 AM »
I had to stop at a gas station so my 4 year old could use the restroom.  There were several signs around the dinky store that said restrooms were only for paying customers.  Therefore I felt forced into purchasing something. I noticed they had the small packs of gum (5 pieces), I took it to the cashier and was ready to pay when he said , " that will be $1.50".  I said for this small pack of gum?!?!? His response was the bigger packages are the same price you could get one of those. I spent the next 10 minutes trying to find something to buy because I packed all of us enough food and drinks for the ride. I eventually settled on licorice because there was no way in hell that I was going to pay $1.50 for a 5 pack of gum.

Assuming this was a car ride rather than a bike ride you could have bought a gallon of gas. I'm sure you'd use it eventually.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3056 on: September 07, 2016, 03:39:12 AM »
My microwave OCD problem:  My microwave is in the wall above the oven but we brought different brands of the two (saved $300)  Both have blue LED clock readouts but its not the same shade of electronic blue.  I can turn the clock off the microwave but not the oven.  It would kill me to have leftover time on the microwave strictly because of the color not the time.

Ah, but do the handles match?

--oops,  did I just trigger a new microwave purchase for you?--

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3057 on: September 07, 2016, 02:49:56 PM »
I'm struggling with my desire to save money while also trying to spend $4000 on my new Chase credit card in 3 months without wasting any money. This week I bought an annual membership that should save me a little money in the long run but it comes with two free admissions that you can use any time. Aha, I said - I will use the freebies after the three months is up, and pay for admissions normally right now to run up that credit card bill. And I get to put the annual membership fee towards the $4k minimum. Perfect!

Then the program director e-mailed me to let me know that I had signed up in some mysterious time window ("season launch") that means I get a bonus freebie admission that I must use in the next 30 days! Dammit, I can't turn down free, but I wanted to put that on my card! Stop being so awesome and giving me free things! Or... wait... no...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 02:53:55 PM by Dollar Slice »

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3058 on: September 07, 2016, 02:58:55 PM »
I'm struggling with my desire to save money while also trying to spend $4000 on my new Chase credit card in 3 months without wasting any money. This week I bought an annual membership that should save me a little money in the long run but it comes with two free admissions that you can use any time. Aha, I said - I will use the freebies after the three months is up, and pay for admissions normally right now to run up that credit card bill. And I get to put the annual membership fee towards the $4k minimum. Perfect!

Then the program director e-mailed me to let me know that I had signed up in some mysterious time window ("season launch") that means I get a bonus freebie admission that I must use in the next 30 days! Dammit, I can't turn down free, but I wanted to put that on my card! Stop being so awesome and giving me free things! Or... wait... no...

$500 gift cards + paypal = manufactured spending. A word of warning: only do one of those $500s on paypal every few months or you will lose your paypal. You can also use the gift cards for your spending going forward for a while.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3059 on: September 07, 2016, 03:26:40 PM »
Don't worry, I have a plan. Just trying to optimize ;-)  I'm trying to do as much legit non-wasteful spending as I can for the first two months (e.g., putting work stuff on personal card and getting reimbursed, buying concert tickets for a group of friends and getting paid back in cash, etc.) and then I'll knock out the rest with gift cards.

It's just funny to find myself being vaguely annoyed that someone isn't letting me give them more money.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3060 on: September 07, 2016, 03:27:32 PM »
I am being laid off from work and given a severance large enough to bump me from the 10% tax bracket to the 25% bracket (and fuck with my child tax credit). My taxes are screwed.
I had to update my 457 contributions to where it will still max out before I'm unemployed. Started a child care FSA because it will be covered while we both look for work. So now I have almost $0 take home pay and will have to raid my savings until I am laid off. I will have a lump sum then, a huge tax bill, and $0 income for 2017. UGH!!!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3061 on: September 07, 2016, 04:22:35 PM »
I am being laid off from work and given a severance large enough to bump me from the 10% tax bracket to the 25% bracket (and fuck with my child tax credit). My taxes are screwed.
I had to update my 457 contributions to where it will still max out before I'm unemployed. Started a child care FSA because it will be covered while we both look for work. So now I have almost $0 take home pay and will have to raid my savings until I am laid off. I will have a lump sum then, a huge tax bill, and $0 income for 2017. UGH!!!

Did you ask them to consider paying the severance in 2017? 

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3062 on: September 07, 2016, 04:40:21 PM »

Did you ask them to consider paying the severance in 2017?

I'm a bit afraid to poke the bear. Would this be a reasonable request or not?

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3063 on: September 07, 2016, 06:04:15 PM »

Here, there are two types of severance -- lump sum, which is usually easier for everyone...  and pay in lieu of working.   They pay you each week to stay home and not work.  (usually longer / more weeks but it cuts off once you start working and screws up when you can apply for EI).

Anyway, my point is that you could ask for your severance to be paid out into 2017.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3064 on: September 07, 2016, 09:31:39 PM »
[
Anyway, my point is that you could ask for your severance to be paid out into 2017.

Mine is pay instead of working. 3 months salary, 6 months insurance premiums. End date is 10/31. If I asked them to wait until 1/1 I'm assuming that would mean my UI benefits would be pushed out 3 months from 1/1 instead of 10/31

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3065 on: September 07, 2016, 10:49:01 PM »
[

Mine is pay instead of working. 3 months salary, 6 months insurance premiums. End date is 10/31. If I asked them to wait until 1/1 I'm assuming that would mean my UI benefits would be pushed out 3 months from 1/1 instead of 10/31

If it's pay instead of working, they might have a problem with wage laws if they don't settle it on your end date.  I'm not an employment lawyer, but I suspect the terms of a non-wage severance can be more flexible.  So it sounds like the answer would be no but can it really hurt to ask? 

Edit: but are you leaving on 10/31 and getting paid for November-January?  They might be able to just continue your biweekly or whatever payments through january
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 10:50:59 PM by dragoncar »

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3066 on: September 08, 2016, 07:41:48 PM »
My MPP for today:

I was typing an email to a colleague about our fire drill, and accidentally made it a acronym:  FIRE drill.  So hard to type those letters in lower case.

jordanread

« Reply #3067 on: September 09, 2016, 06:48:30 AM »
FIRE drill.

New name for the first test of the 'Stache, practicing catching FIRE is now a FIRE Drill. I like it.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3068 on: September 09, 2016, 03:34:34 PM »
FIRE drill.

New name for the first test of the 'Stache, practicing catching FIRE is now a FIRE Drill. I like it.

Katniss Everdeen was an early retiree?

jordanread

« Reply #3069 on: September 09, 2016, 03:42:59 PM »
FIRE drill.

Katniss Everdeen was an early retiree?

She did stop working quite young. I've been using that phrase before the movie came out, and even though I had read the book before that, it's not related to that at all. Might as well capitalize on it. I'm on a single person mission to make that the accepted phrase. And I've expanded on the metaphor, too. Accumulation phase is kindling, fun stuff done afterwards are Ember Adventures, etc.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3070 on: September 11, 2016, 06:42:12 PM »
"Catching FIRE" might also mean "catching HAIR ON FIRE"   which is the exact opposite of your message...  :-)

jordanread

« Reply #3071 on: September 12, 2016, 08:44:51 AM »
"Catching FIRE" might also mean "catching HAIR ON FIRE"   which is the exact opposite of your message...  :-)

I'm pretty sure that's only if Jon_Snow writes it, with his capitalizing tendencies. FIRE != fire. :)

Although...actually catching your hair on fire may save money on haircuts. :P

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #3072 on: September 15, 2016, 12:54:46 AM »
I went behind on reporting my unemployment because I didn't need the money and now I had to reopen it over the phone and probably will end up dealing with excessive amounts of paperwork :(

401Killer

• Stubble
« Reply #3073 on: September 15, 2016, 08:21:30 AM »
I don't carry a debit card anymore due to charges at ATM machines, an no bonuses. So I go to the bank and pull a few hundred out for pocket money for the month. Every time I go in there, they look at my accounts and offer to set me up with a better savings account and I decline.

"Oh, so with this new savings account if I can keep over $10,000 in it, I'll get another 0.025% interest? But if it drops to $9,999 you will charge me a fee that will completely absorb the money difference from more interest by 10 times? No, thanks, I'll pass..."

It's happened so often now, its a running joke between all of us.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #3074 on: September 15, 2016, 11:00:40 AM »
I don't carry a debit card anymore due to charges at ATM machines, an no bonuses. So I go to the bank and pull a few hundred out for pocket money for the month. Every time I go in there, they look at my accounts and offer to set me up with a better savings account and I decline.

"Oh, so with this new savings account if I can keep over $10,000 in it, I'll get another 0.025% interest? But if it drops to $9,999 you will charge me a fee that will completely absorb the money difference from more interest by 10 times? No, thanks, I'll pass..."

It's happened so often now, its a running joke between all of us.

Schwab and some other banks offer ATM fee refunds for all fees at all ATMs.  So, if a Chase ATM charges you $2, Schwab will put $2 back into your account within a couple days.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3075 on: September 16, 2016, 02:25:31 AM »
Realizing that very few people post to the forum after 2am MDT.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3076 on: September 16, 2016, 02:31:47 AM »

Alas, I'm still here, and I'm in EDT!

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3077 on: September 16, 2016, 02:53:52 AM »

Alas, I'm still here, and I'm in EDT!

Ah, but what there is is quality, because it's predominantly Aussie/NZ posters.

So there is that.

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #3078 on: September 16, 2016, 06:32:08 AM »
Flossing every night now. Husband asks, "You never floss... what's going on? Did your dentist scare you into it?" Hell no, wanting to retire early did. Ha.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #3079 on: September 17, 2016, 09:28:48 AM »
I sold my car, and have an online banking account, so no easy way to convert paper money to digital money.
Now I have wads of cash, that need to be spend. It's probably going to take months :D

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3080 on: September 17, 2016, 10:30:30 AM »
I sold my car, and have an online banking account, so no easy way to convert paper money to digital money.
Now I have wads of cash, that need to be spend. It's probably going to take months :D
I maintain a minuscule checking account in a local bank at the lowest service tier (free) specifically for buying/selling used items. Transfer in a large balance a week before making a large purchase so that the funds are immediately available and you can pounce on a good deal. Deposit large amounts of cash in branch and transfer out at your convenience. Certified checks and notary services are useful too.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3081 on: September 17, 2016, 03:17:47 PM »
I maintain a minuscule checking account in a local bank at the lowest service tier (free) specifically for buying/selling used items. Transfer in a large balance a week before making a large purchase so that the funds are immediately available and you can pounce on a good deal. Deposit large amounts of cash in branch and transfer out at your convenience. Certified checks and notary services are useful too.

Hey, we actually have another MMM thread with ideas on how to solve this problem.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #3082 on: September 17, 2016, 05:52:50 PM »
I can't use the groceries stores' coupons because they're typically on overpriced shit I would never buy.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3083 on: September 18, 2016, 05:52:38 AM »
I can't use the groceries stores' coupons because they're typically on overpriced shit I would never buy.

I don't get enough reward points to trigger the cash back because I don't spend enough there :(

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3084 on: September 18, 2016, 07:02:41 AM »

I don't get enough reward points to trigger the cash back because I don't spend enough there :(

Yes to both of these!

I received a $50 Starbucks gift card for filling out a survey, and I haven't bothered to reload the card once the $50 was gone because a) I don't go there enough to have even $10 tied up on their card b) I don't buy nearly enough to get any of their rewards and c) it's mostly sugar and other junk anyway.

The grocery store coupons are usually for overly processed, unhealthy crap. The only place I've ever seen with a coupon for produce is Whole Foods ($5 off $20), but you can get much cheaper produce elsewhere anyway!

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3085 on: September 18, 2016, 08:38:59 AM »
Resounding "yes" to this!

One exception I've occasionally found is with Kroger coupons--if you sign up for their rewards card, they will periodically send you coupons in the mail for things you have bought, including meat and produce (e.g., $X off $Y in meat purchases) and even free store-branded items.  Even then, though, I buy most of our meat at Costco (where meat is way better and most of the time cheaper), so it's only occasionally worth it when they have a cheaper-than-Costco loss leader on meat. 

But I've definitely stopped clipping coupons from (and buying!) the Sunday paper because I just don't buy that stuff that they coupon any more, and now that stores around me have stopped doing double coupons it's just not worth it to me to try to hunt down the old sale + (double-)coupon = free thing any more.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #3086 on: October 01, 2016, 06:56:17 PM »
I got a pay rise but won't actually have any extra money as I will salary sacrifice it all into my super (retirement) account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #3087 on: October 02, 2016, 12:40:49 AM »
I was gifted $360 from my wealthy grandmother. She gives out a little bit of money to the grandchildren now and then.

So I immediately put $300 of the little green men to work and write a thank you note to my grandmother.

Then it occurs to me that the $60 could buy a very nice date for me and my wife at her favourite sushi place. Well, they were booked full for the evening..

So my wife suggests we just make a small shopping run and cook a few steaks to celebrate.  At the grocery store we notice that 3 steaks were about $15 but a huge slice of cow could be had for $50. And my wife goes "hmmm... I can cut 3 steaks and 3 big roasts out of that piece"...

Fast forward 30 minutes and 3 big chunks of beef are in the freezer and the steaks are sizzling on the grill.

So apparently I can't invite my wife on a date without getting the freezer filled with meat... Sheesh ;)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3088 on: October 02, 2016, 05:39:31 AM »
I got a pay rise but won't actually have any extra money as I will salary sacrifice it all into my super (retirement) account.

Never get tired of hearing people do this :D

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3089 on: October 02, 2016, 07:44:22 AM »
I was gifted $360 from my wealthy grandmother. She gives out a little bit of money to the grandchildren now and then.

So I immediately put $300 of the little green men to work and write a thank you note to my grandmother.

Then it occurs to me that the $60 could buy a very nice date for me and my wife at her favourite sushi place. Well, they were booked full for the evening..

So my wife suggests we just make a small shopping run and cook a few steaks to celebrate.  At the grocery store we notice that 3 steaks were about $15 but a huge slice of cow could be had for $50. And my wife goes "hmmm... I can cut 3 steaks and 3 big roasts out of that piece"...

Fast forward 30 minutes and 3 big chunks of beef are in the freezer and the steaks are sizzling on the grill.

So apparently I can't invite my wife on a date without getting the freezer filled with meat... Sheesh ;)

Awesome. My stomach rumbled as I read that.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3090 on: October 02, 2016, 07:47:01 AM »
Got so many (and different sorts) of very cheap cheese at different sales inside 2 weeks that I now probably have to eat more bread instead of something hot or the cheese gets too old. Or make something hot that needs cheese. That I also bought half a kg ham at under 1/2 price on the last of those sales that is due on the 12th does not help either.

hm... Now that I wrote it down, it sounds like a pizza week is coming :D

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3091 on: October 02, 2016, 07:49:25 AM »
Got so many (and different sorts) of very cheap cheese at different sales inside 2 weeks that I now probably have to eat more bread instead of something hot or the cheese gets too old. Or make something hot that needs cheese. That I also bought half a kg ham at under 1/2 price on the last of those sales that is due on the 12th does not help either.

hm... Now that I wrote it down, it sounds like a pizza week is coming :D
Sounds to me more like grilled ham and cheese sandwiches.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3092 on: October 02, 2016, 07:50:44 AM »
Cheese freezes well.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3093 on: October 02, 2016, 09:02:03 AM »
Cheese freezes well.

+1

However, when removing cheese from the freezer I've had better results with
allowing it to thaw gradually in the refrigerator.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3094 on: October 02, 2016, 09:24:10 AM »
Cheese freezers- any opinions on shredding before or after freezing, when making shredded cheese? Thanks!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3095 on: October 02, 2016, 09:53:17 AM »
Hmm. I leave most cheeses in a block.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #3096 on: October 02, 2016, 10:56:42 AM »
Cheese freezers- any opinions on shredding before or after freezing, when making shredded cheese? Thanks!

I find that cheddar is more crumbly after freezing, so it crumbles instead of shredding for the most part.  Probably you should shred it before freezing, if the size of shreds matters to you.  I can't vouch for other cheeses.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3097 on: October 02, 2016, 11:58:04 AM »

I shred it before freezing, because when I'm in a hurry, it's great to just be able to spread the cheese and be done.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3098 on: October 02, 2016, 12:10:03 PM »
I don't eat cheese anymore, so this experience is a few years old, but when I did eat it, I shredded it first (all types) and I usually put a bit of cornstarch in the bag with it to keep it from sticking.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3099 on: October 02, 2016, 11:33:20 PM »
What kind of cheese?  High quality cheddar or parmesan doesn't go bad - it just gets more flavorful as it ages.  Don't freeze it, and then you don't have to worry about when to shred it.

If you have lower quality cheddar or high moisture, fresh cheeses like brie, mozzarella, or monterey jack, freezing can help them keep longer.  Shredded mozzarella that you buy in the store is often shredded while frozen because the soft, refrigerated mozz is so soft that it just gums up the shredders.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!