Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086815 times)

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #2850 on: July 03, 2016, 07:16:03 PM »
I only have enough in free Amazon gift cards from Bing Rewards and Pinecone Research saved up to be able to afford either a bicycle chain cleaning device or a DVD set of a show that's not available on any streaming service. The responsible thing would be to use it on the bicycle chain cleaning device, but my heart really wants to watch that show. What to do? What to do? (That doesn't involve actually spending any real cash.)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2851 on: July 04, 2016, 12:54:15 AM »
I had a mustachian problem yesterday...

I had been given a gift certificate for a mani+pedi for my birthday last fall.  Since no-one would have seen my toes all fall/winter I just used it yesterday.  The gift certificate included the cost of the mani+pedi plus the tip.  When I went to pay, I was informed that the tip could not come out of the gift certificate, it had to be cash.  I had no cash on me (I rarely have any/much cash on me.)  So I went to the drug store next door to use my debit card and get some cash back.  I couldn't think of a thing I needed or wanted to buy.  I ended up getting a bag of my favorite snack food (on sale).  And now I have $10 left on the gift certificate and nothing at the salon is <=$10.

If you are in CA, you can ask them to give you cash for gift card balances under $10.  not sure about other states

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #2852 on: July 04, 2016, 02:15:24 AM »
I just paid off my mortgage, and I have an itch to throw extra cash at debt. None left. Feels weird.

Mentally re-characterize investments as a debt to your future self.

I love this re-framing. "I owe myself $650,000 for retirement. I need to get this paid off as soon as possible - Go!"

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2853 on: July 04, 2016, 02:50:10 AM »
MPP: We are moving our mortgage and in the process paying a chunk off. When talking about completion dates, I asked the solicitor if they ever had issues with clients moving a lot of money all at once, as I need to send the 'shortfall' to him. His reply, no, never been an issue in all his years.

Well clearly he hasn't had anyone paying this much off! The bank limits mean I have to phase the transfers over 4 days!

(Yes, I can do it in one day by paying for CHAPS, but the cost in interest for 4 days is lower. And we've decided to pay off the mortgage rather than invest for personal cash-flow reasons). 

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2854 on: July 10, 2016, 03:56:02 PM »
I tried using a couple of the retirement calculators that came up from a standard google search.

The first one did not allow me to set my savings rate above 60%
(our current savings rate is right around 70%).

So, I tried another one.
The next one didn't allow me to put our post-retirement income at lower than 40% of our pre-retirement income.

I often feel we are WAY behind many of the people here.
Then I dip my toe back into the 'real' world and realize even the worst mustachian is seen as a financial freak by average standards.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2855 on: July 11, 2016, 12:08:58 AM »
I tried using a couple of the retirement calculators that came up from a standard google search.

The first one did not allow me to set my savings rate above 60%
(our current savings rate is right around 70%).

So, I tried another one.
The next one didn't allow me to put our post-retirement income at lower than 40% of our pre-retirement income.

I often feel we are WAY behind many of the people here.
Then I dip my toe back into the 'real' world and realize even the worst mustachian is seen as a financial freak by average standards.

That's a great problem to have, but it's pretty annoying.  You're better than we are on percentages.  Even with our less-mustachian savings rate, the calculator on my 401K plan will not go high enough.  The other problem I have is that the "current amount saved" tops out below where we are right now.  Maybe they figure that if you have more than a certain amount invested and your savings rate is high, that you don't actually need the calculator?

oneil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2856 on: July 12, 2016, 07:30:17 PM »
My birthday and my wife's are just one day apart, which means we typically get presents addressed to both of us. This year we got a check from my MIL. The accompanying card read "Paul & $wife_name, do NOT save this money! It is for spending, go get dinner or something".

This is why my parents started giving my husband and I gift cards! We still have half  left on the one they gave us to a fancy steakhouse for Christmas... we went to the bar for happy hour instead of the main dining room.. so we get two dinner dates out of it! Even with FREE money in the form of a gift card we have a hard time going out and spending it!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2857 on: July 12, 2016, 07:51:31 PM »
My birthday and my wife's are just one day apart, which means we typically get presents addressed to both of us. This year we got a check from my MIL. The accompanying card read "Paul & $wife_name, do NOT save this money! It is for spending, go get dinner or something".

This is why my parents started giving my husband and I gift cards! We still have half  left on the one they gave us to a fancy steakhouse for Christmas... we went to the bar for happy hour instead of the main dining room.. so we get two dinner dates out of it! Even with FREE money in the form of a gift card we have a hard time going out and spending it!

You could always regift them to someone else. Or sell them to resellers such as ABC gift cards or Cardpool (I made about $1500 last year doing this). You will of course not get face value for selling the gift card.

yuka

• Bristles
« Reply #2858 on: July 12, 2016, 09:35:20 PM »
We get so few product advertisements that when we were trying to help our five year old set goals for money savings, she couldn't think of any toys to buy. "Could I buy a watermelon?"
I didn't know if I should just let her get one to give her a goal, or just plant them with her in the spring.
"You know, dad and I are happy to buy food for you." Ha!

oh my gosh that is cute

Lol, this is actually similar to my fiancee. She was in Kroger one time recently and decided that when she finishes school and has money, she wants a cheese wheel. Sadly, we may have to scale that down, because it turns out those things are about 70 pounds.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2859 on: July 13, 2016, 06:52:15 AM »
We get so few product advertisements that when we were trying to help our five year old set goals for money savings, she couldn't think of any toys to buy. "Could I buy a watermelon?"
I didn't know if I should just let her get one to give her a goal, or just plant them with her in the spring.

oh my gosh that is cute

Lol, this is actually similar to my fiancee. She was in Kroger one time recently and decided that when she finishes school and has money, she wants a cheese wheel. Sadly, we may have to scale that down, because it turns out those things are about 70 pounds.

I like you fiancee. When I graduated, I bought myself an aged smoked gouda wedge to celebrate. Cheese is the best celebration in my book =D

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2860 on: July 13, 2016, 08:23:20 AM »

If she does get the whole thing, then she'll be the big cheese!!!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2861 on: July 13, 2016, 01:08:11 PM »

Obligatory video: http://youtu.be/PL6vP4eDmEQ

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #2862 on: July 13, 2016, 10:04:40 PM »

oh my gosh that is cute

I like you fiancee. When I graduated, I bought myself an aged smoked gouda wedge to celebrate. Cheese is the best celebration in my book =D

Select a type of cheese that is a traditionally smaller size? There are many 5-10 pound cheeses out there. Perhaps one of those is a type that will catch her fancy. Parmigianno Reggiano wheels are MASSIVE

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2863 on: July 14, 2016, 03:57:28 AM »
Oh! I have a new one from today....

Having to read the excessive foam on the "Overheard at Work" thread... in order to find the nuggets of interesting new posts.

jordanread

« Reply #2864 on: July 14, 2016, 07:20:06 AM »

Obligatory video: http://youtu.be/PL6vP4eDmEQ

That was amazing.

Crusader

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2865 on: July 14, 2016, 07:31:36 AM »
When in a spendy month your savings rate drops to below 50% but still higher than 25%. 😱

Though I did have a month I spent slightly more than I earned. My friends freaked out and wondered why I was so stupid and how in debt I was. I just shrugged my shoulders because I more than had the more than enough money to cover it. I have months of savings to cover any spendy month should it happen. That month coincided with buying an electric bike, paying for a trip, and some celebratory spending from getting a new job.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2866 on: July 14, 2016, 03:22:35 PM »
When in a spendy month your savings rate drops to below 50% but still higher than 25%. 😱

Though I did have a month I spent slightly more than I earned. My friends freaked out and wondered why I was so stupid and how in debt I was. I just shrugged my shoulders because I more than had the more than enough money to cover it. I have months of savings to cover any spendy month should it happen. That month coincided with buying an electric bike, paying for a trip, and some celebratory spending from getting a new job.

My savings rate was almost zero last month.   :-(  Can't imagine doing that every month!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2867 on: July 14, 2016, 04:14:14 PM »
We're seeing our accountant today to file our tax returns, and I'm excited about finally getting a firm number on what my husband's net pay has been once tax, HECS and deductions have been taken into account.

I think we're hovering around a 50 per cent savings rate, but I think we can stretch it to 55 or 60 per cent.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #2868 on: July 15, 2016, 06:56:24 AM »
Most of the blogs I follow are all doing reviews of J L Collins 'The Simple Path to Wealth' at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yuka

• Bristles
« Reply #2869 on: July 15, 2016, 07:54:45 AM »

oh my gosh that is cute

Select a type of cheese that is a traditionally smaller size? There are many 5-10 pound cheeses out there. Perhaps one of those is a type that will catch her fancy. Parmigianno Reggiano wheels are MASSIVE

yep! That's the new plan. Also, we did some cheese research and found out that 'parmesan' != parmiggiano, so switching to some other variation seems more ok now.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2870 on: July 15, 2016, 04:22:25 PM »
I bought a watermelon today, and all I could think about was that post where someone's daughter wanted to buy a watermelon with her savings. I wanted to read it again but I can't find it. :(

jordanread

« Reply #2871 on: July 15, 2016, 05:00:28 PM »
I bought a watermelon today, and all I could think about was that post where someone's daughter wanted to buy a watermelon with her savings. I wanted to read it again but I can't find it. :(

It's quoted right above your comment. :)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2872 on: July 15, 2016, 06:06:21 PM »

Scroll up in this thread. Someone re-posted it a couple of days ago.

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2873 on: July 16, 2016, 06:20:54 AM »
My MPP today: I forgot to put up the leftover sauteed sweet potato and spinach from dinner last night, which I was planning on for breakfast this morning - so mad at myself for accidentally wasting (less than 50 cents worth of) food and ruining my delicious leftover breakfast plan.

Don't worry - I did remember to put up the leftover salmon (fresh wild-caught alaskan salmon on a 1-day sale for 6.99/lb? yes, thank you!).

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #2874 on: July 16, 2016, 09:18:09 AM »
My MPP today: I forgot to put up the leftover sauteed sweet potato and spinach from dinner last night, which I was planning on for breakfast this morning - so mad at myself for accidentally wasting (less than 50 cents worth of) food and ruining my delicious leftover breakfast plan.

Don't worry - I did remember to put up the leftover salmon (fresh wild-caught alaskan salmon on a 1-day sale for 6.99/lb? yes, thank you!).

Unless it looks or smells 'off,' I would still eat it.  It's not meat.  I accidentally left out teriyaki tempeh from last night's supper, so that got stuck in the fridge this morning and will just be stuck in a hot oven to toast back up when we eat it.

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #2875 on: July 16, 2016, 02:52:11 PM »

Are you worried about bacteria? A bit of heat is going to kill anything harmful.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2876 on: July 16, 2016, 03:23:47 PM »

Are you worried about bacteria? A bit of heat is going to kill anything harmful.

Some bacteria that breed in food produce toxins that are not eliminated by reheating. It's not just live bacteria you have to worry about.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #2877 on: July 16, 2016, 03:42:35 PM »
I eat stuff I forget out overnight. Spaghetti sauce, pizza, whatever. Teriyaki chicken and rice. I'm pretty healthy and rarely get sick and have never gotten sick at a time near when I ate food that was left out. Food guidelines are very conservative as they have to account for children, the elderly and otherwise sickly people.
I worry more about potatoes that have been in the pantry too long and look a bit green. Green potatoes are bad.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 03:44:40 PM by pdxmonkey »

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2878 on: July 16, 2016, 03:57:35 PM »
I worry more about potatoes that have been in the pantry too long and look a bit green. Green potatoes are bad.
That's just what they want you to think. We have to learn to treat all potatoes equally whatever their color.

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #2879 on: July 16, 2016, 07:36:43 PM »
That's just what they want you to think. We have to learn to treat all potatoes equally whatever their color.

#potatoeyesmatter

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2880 on: July 16, 2016, 08:17:22 PM »

#potatoeyesmatter

Get rid of the sprouted eyes and the green parts, and avoid shrunken potatoes!  http://www.rachaelray.com/2011/08/is-it-safe-to-eat-sprouted-potatoes

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2881 on: July 17, 2016, 07:18:28 AM »

Doh! I was searching in Mini Money Mustaches!

Yesterday I was given a huge load of really good fabric from someone's late mother's sewing stash - lots of beautiful wool! I'm a bit worried it might have moth, though, so I want to put it in the freezer. However, the freezer is so full of delicious home-cooked food that I can't fit more than a few pieces at a time! (And my husband is away so I can't eat through the food fast enough to just take a lot out and put it in the fridge.) So now I have two bin bags of fabric on my porch which will take me about three weeks to bring in and freeze. So much bounty and so little freezer space!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2882 on: July 17, 2016, 08:53:00 AM »

Yesterday I was given a huge load of really good fabric from someone's late mother's sewing stash - lots of beautiful wool! I'm a bit worried it might have moth, though, so I want to put it in the freezer. However, the freezer is so full of delicious home-cooked food that I can't fit more than a few pieces at a time! (And my husband is away so I can't eat through the food fast enough to just take a lot out and put it in the fridge.) So now I have two bin bags of fabric on my porch which will take me about three weeks to bring in and freeze. So much bounty and so little freezer space!
How long does the wool need in the freezer? You could move things that are frozen solid into the fridge or an ice chest temporarily. If you have easy access to dry ice it would be even easier.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2883 on: July 18, 2016, 04:24:30 AM »

How long does the wool need in the freezer? You could move things that are frozen solid into the fridge or an ice chest temporarily. If you have easy access to dry ice it would be even easier.

48 hours minimum, and there's two bin bags worth... We only have a tiny flat and a little freezer, so imagine trying to fit two full bin bags into a space the size of two large tubs of ice cream.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2884 on: July 18, 2016, 06:41:59 AM »
48 hours minimum, and there's two bin bags worth... We only have a tiny flat and a little freezer, so imagine trying to fit two full bin bags into a space the size of two large tubs of ice cream.
This calls for a different strategy. Might a bit of dry ice in an ice chest or very large plastic bag accomplish the same effect? Otherwise, a friend or neighbor with more freezer space?

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2885 on: July 18, 2016, 11:32:08 AM »
This calls for a different strategy. Might a bit of dry ice in an ice chest or very large plastic bag accomplish the same effect? Otherwise, a friend or neighbor with more freezer space?

Eh. I'm happy to have the bin bags on my porch until I get through it all. My neighbours already think I'm crazy.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2886 on: July 18, 2016, 01:08:44 PM »
When I'm at work and people ask me what I do in my spare time now that I work part time:

Me: I manage hedges

Them: oh like a hedge fund?

Me:  uh... Sure

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2887 on: July 18, 2016, 01:41:26 PM »
When I'm at work and people ask me what I do in my spare time now that I work part time:

Me: I manage hedges

Them: oh like a hedge fund?

Me:  uh... Sure

Nice. I hope any Mustachians who do landscaping work as a side gig have a savings account labeled "hedge fund."

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2888 on: July 18, 2016, 01:47:05 PM »

How about a few lbs of dry ice in a cooler.
It might be a double whammy, Dry ice is -110*F and as it sublimates it will drive out the oxygen.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2889 on: July 18, 2016, 02:45:28 PM »
Buying dry ice and a cooler would sort of defeat the freeness of the fabric. And it would have to be a colossal cooler to fit it all in at once!

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2890 on: July 18, 2016, 03:37:03 PM »
Buying dry ice and a cooler would sort of defeat the freeness of the fabric. And it would have to be a colossal cooler to fit it all in at once!
LOL, you mean everyone doesn't have a cooler.
We have a least 35-48qt to 100qt coolers around the house.
Has to do with our business.
I guess just my narrow view showing.
 Sorry.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2891 on: July 18, 2016, 04:20:12 PM »
 Sorry.

Are you in the business of selling coolers and cooler accessories?

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #2892 on: July 18, 2016, 06:20:44 PM »
 Sorry.

Are you in the business of black market organs?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2893 on: July 18, 2016, 06:28:21 PM »
 Sorry.

Jesus Christ how many orgsns are you dealing with those size coolers?

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #2894 on: July 18, 2016, 06:38:37 PM »
 Sorry.

Jesus Christ how many orgsns are you dealing with those size coolers?

We have a massive collection at our house of coolers. It's A LOT cheaper to ship Alaskan Salmon and King crab via cooler from Alaska to Texas. Than to buy it store bought.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2895 on: July 18, 2016, 10:14:23 PM »
This calls for a different strategy. Might a bit of dry ice in an ice chest or very large black plastic bag accomplish the same effect? Otherwise, a friend or neighbor with more freezer space? 

ETA: seems this never posted. Now I'm just another not-so-funny voice in the crowd.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2896 on: July 18, 2016, 10:31:10 PM »

We have a massive collection at our house of coolers.

Well sure, if I ran a House of Coolers, I'd have a few lying around too

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2897 on: July 19, 2016, 05:04:40 AM »
During the summer, Styrofoam coolers cost $3 (sometimes less), which should be well within a budget.  These are throw-away after one use for the visitors to our area.  Most go into trash, but some get left on the beach or water.  I personally don't like Styrofoam after doing a trash pick-up day and all I picked up was Styrofoam pieces and cigarette filters.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2898 on: July 19, 2016, 06:14:56 AM »
During the summer, Styrofoam coolers cost $3 (sometimes less), which should be well within a budget.  These are throw-away after one use for the visitors to our area.  Most go into trash, but some get left on the beach or water.  I personally don't like Styrofoam after doing a trash pick-up day and all I picked up was Styrofoam pieces and cigarette filters.

But... I have a solution which does not involve buying a one-use item which I have no room to store anyway and then throwing it away when I've finished with it, as well as buying an expensive consumable (dry ice or, indeed, ice). It's this amazing thing which some of you Mustaches might have heard of: patience/delayed gratification. I'm not in a rush to get this fabric frozen. I don't need to have it in the house or use it right now. It's just that I laughed when I was looking at my freezer and thinking how I have too much fabric and too much food, and what a great problem that is to have. Sometimes I think people forget that this is Mustachian people problems for fun.

(Now if I did run 'House of Coolers' and appropriated some for my own use, wouldn't that cause an awkward accounting moment at tax time? If I tried to sell them after use, wouldn't it be hard to calculate the depreciation? Dang, those MPPs just keep coming!)

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2899 on: July 19, 2016, 06:28:17 AM »

But... I have a solution which does not involve buying a one-use item which I have no room to store anyway and then throwing it away when I've finished with it, as well as buying an expensive consumable (dry ice or, indeed, ice).
Sometimes I think people forget that this is Mustachian people problems for fun.

But.... it is a PROBLEM and I must SOLVE it for you.