Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086474 times)

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #2400 on: January 30, 2016, 11:02:39 AM »
My mother was so embarrassed by my Goodwill jeans that she made me wear hers. She insisted I keep them.

I just can't understand these kinds of reactions about thrift stores.  They're offended by you wearing used clothes, so they...  give you used clothes.  Whatever. 

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2401 on: January 30, 2016, 11:27:16 AM »
My mother was so embarrassed by my Goodwill jeans that she made me wear hers. She insisted I keep them.

I just can't understand these kinds of reactions about thrift stores.  They're offended by you wearing used clothes, so they...  give you used clothes.  Whatever.

Hahaha . doesn't make sense does it? I love used clothes, its rare for me to buy new, and then - its only shoes & undergarments (with a gift card) .

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #2402 on: January 30, 2016, 12:05:15 PM »

Not sure what the problem is.  Goodwill has a lot of nice clothing.   

Source: My wife and I have donated a lot of items to that place, haha.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2403 on: January 30, 2016, 12:11:04 PM »

I know of one person who considers them "dirty" (even though they're washed.) And "wants their own clothes".
Huh.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2404 on: January 30, 2016, 03:11:57 PM »

Next time remove the goodwill tags before you wear it

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #2405 on: January 30, 2016, 06:15:14 PM »
Started a new job 2 weeks ago and I just found out that I won't qualify for the 401-K until I've worked for them 1,000 hours, plus hit a magic date (either Jan 1 or July 1).  WTF man!!  By that calculation I won't have a 401-K til Jan 2017!!

So I'm putting money in my Roth, and not reducing my taxes in 2016 :-( 

At least DH is maxing out his 401-K.

Put the money into a standard IRA, you should be able to put in 5500, just have to do it on your own and get the tax break at tax time.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2406 on: January 30, 2016, 06:40:29 PM »
Had to make many many phone calls to the new mortgage company. We pre-pay our mortgage.  It was recently sold to a new company, and despite phone calls and paper requests, had a hard time getting them to adjust our automatic payment to be higher than the mortgage.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2407 on: January 30, 2016, 06:45:44 PM »
Had to make many many phone calls to the new mortgage company. We pre-pay our mortgage.  It was recently sold to a new company, and despite phone calls and paper requests, had a hard time getting them to adjust our automatic payment to be higher than the mortgage.

Dude stop making larger than required mortgage payments. Mortgage companies have to make money too you know!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2408 on: January 30, 2016, 08:02:24 PM »

Next time remove the goodwill tags before you wear it

LOL. No, in her defense they were super-hideous. Actually she took me to Goodwill and bought me some used "birthday presents" to replenish my problematic wardrobe. (New-to-me fleece, nice yellow sweater, and a tank top for layering.)

bzzzt

• Bristles
  • 5v to Lightning Bolts...
« Reply #2409 on: January 30, 2016, 09:50:25 PM »
Put the money into a standard IRA, you should be able to put in 5500, just have to do it on your own and get the tax break at tax time.

Assuming they can take the deduction for the tIRA. Due to work finally paying my wife back pay that she was owed, we were pushed past that limit for me to take a deduction on a tIRA (due to wife's retirement plan).

Thanks again, DW's employer. First, you hold the money over several years, then release it all at one time and cost us $1500. Dicks.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #2410 on: January 31, 2016, 06:28:54 AM »

Assuming they can take the deduction for the tIRA. Due to work finally paying my wife back pay that she was owed, we were pushed past that limit for me to take a deduction on a tIRA (due to wife's retirement plan).

Thanks again, DW's employer. First, you hold the money over several years, then release it all at one time and cost us $1500. Dicks.
Precisely.  We are in the income level between, we qualify to contribute to a Roth, but do not qualify for a deductible IRA.  It's a problem, but not a terrible one, at least we're saving!

Ralph2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2411 on: January 31, 2016, 05:04:27 PM »
My car needs gas- I haven't filled up in 48 days...  I only have 30 miles left on the tank...

For those who don't know, most fuel pumps of gas fueled vehicles are in the tank. When the tank is run low, you run the risk of two things. First, the pumps use the fuel around them to cool themselves. Second, when the tank is run low, the pump ends up sucking a bunch of sediment off the bottom of the tank and this can clog the fuel pump pickup ("sock"). Even if it's only a partial clog, it makes the pump work harder to move the fuel and decreases it's life. On top of that, anything small enough to make it through the sock should then be caught by the fuel filter, reducing it's flow.

Chancing the fuel pump to save 5% on a tank of fuel could be an effort in "pay a little now, or a lot later".

For those who will try to refute this info, it's my personal experience. My mom is not good with money and would rather go shopping than put fuel in her cars. TWICE, I've been involved in putting fuel pumps in her vehicles because "don't worry, this gauge goes past E"... *rage*

I have not seen a fuel pick up that moves in 35 years on the tools. Not in a car, truck, boat or generator. What moves is the fuel gauge, your mother may have something I have never seen. The fuel pick up is always in a fixed position and is part of many pumps (of fuel injected cars), so always picks up fuel from just above the bottom of the tank regardless of the tank being full or nearly empty.
The sock is designed as a primary filter, it only filters large particles. If you are getting enough sediment to block the sock then you are getting bad fuel, or excess moisture rusting the tank, or the cap is not sealing or filling in fusty conditions.
The biggest issue is low fuel levels not keeping the pumps cool, then when people pull the defective pump out and find the sock half blocked the build up is blamed for the fault. This I feel is the reason for your mothers issues.
This is the reason dual fuel (petrol/LPG) vehicles have a sticker on them telling you to keep at least a quarter tank of petrol at all times.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2412 on: February 01, 2016, 07:44:11 AM »

I know of one person who considers them "dirty" (even though they're washed.) And "wants their own clothes".
Huh.

A friend of mine's wife teaches in a fairly tony school district. She overheard one of her fellow teachers denigrating people who buy "used houses" rather than building new.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2413 on: February 01, 2016, 10:59:34 AM »
Sometimes there is mobile deposit *for a fee*. If I were me, I'd rather wait 3 weeks until it's convenient than pay a fee.
What kind of idiot business would charge you a fee to do something totally automatically for them rather than tie up a real person in a physical branch ?
Oh, of course, a bank !

And also EZ-Pass for tolls.  How on earth did we ever let them get away with charging US to reduce THEIR labor expenses?!?! 

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #2414 on: February 01, 2016, 11:58:57 AM »
And also EZ-Pass for tolls.  How on earth did we ever let them get away with charging US to reduce THEIR labor expenses?!?!

Here in Colorado we get a discount for using Express Toll (EZ-Pass).  About 20% as I recall.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2415 on: February 01, 2016, 12:52:25 PM »

Huh.

A friend of mine's wife teaches in a fairly tony school district. She overheard one of her fellow teachers denigrating people who buy "used houses" rather than building new.

Buying and selling houses are for the plebs. Decent people inherit the family estate/castle.

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2416 on: February 01, 2016, 01:00:48 PM »
Neighbor kids told my son "your dad needs to make more money."  Their comment is timely as we paid off our house a few weeks ago. 

Apparently you have to have brand new cars (and associate loans) to demonstrate your economic prowess.  Used it as a teachable moment.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2417 on: February 01, 2016, 02:21:04 PM »

Here in Colorado we get a discount for using Express Toll (EZ-Pass).  About 20% as I recall.

Yeah around here you pay $20 for the tag and get a $25 toll credit included.  Toll is the same but you use a faster lane.  Everyone wins!

Ps except for those losers without a tag.  I understand a very few people are out of towner a bit anyone who takes a bridge more than once a year should just get a tag

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2418 on: February 01, 2016, 02:25:00 PM »

Huh.

Wow! That's another level- insanity.

johnclauson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2419 on: February 01, 2016, 02:28:32 PM »

Discounted for us in Maryland as well, plus the ability to purchase commuter plans at a steep discount ($1.40 commuter / $3 EZ Pass / $4 regular at the BHT).

I do, however, blame EZ Pass for allowing toll inflation. When you aren't handing over precious green employees the toll has a limited psychological effect.

Ralph2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2420 on: February 01, 2016, 04:49:37 PM »
Here's a Mustachian problem for you. I just made a large overpayment on the mortgage, and moved my emergency fund to a high-interest account, all in one day.

Now I'm on hold with Fraud Prevention.

That's the most Mustachian problem I've seen in a long time. Hope your conversation is expedient!

Omg that's a definite mustachian problem!

We paid our mortgage off over a three month period as an end result of a part time income stream becoming full time for 12 months.
So a thirty year mortgage was paid off in exactly twenty years.

Counter staff then raised the extra income as a possible fraud issue which became interesting and ended with, "you would not accept the part time income in the loan documents as income (higher loan) because it is not constant (some months nothing), but now suggest fraud when I use it to pay out early?". The loan did start out as a form of government guarantee loan (low income), but they can not have it both ways.

Confused looks from the new counter clerk, but the manager sorted it out as he had been there when we started with them and was my loan consultant at the time.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2421 on: February 02, 2016, 02:10:15 PM »
Here's a Mustachian problem for you. I just made a large overpayment on the mortgage, and moved my emergency fund to a high-interest account, all in one day.

Now I'm on hold with Fraud Prevention.

That's the most Mustachian problem I've seen in a long time. Hope your conversation is expedient!

Omg that's a definite mustachian problem!

We paid our mortgage off over a three month period as an end result of a part time income stream becoming full time for 12 months.
So a thirty year mortgage was paid off in exactly twenty years.

Counter staff then raised the extra income as a possible fraud issue which became interesting and ended with, "you would not accept the part time income in the loan documents as income (higher loan) because it is not constant (some months nothing), but now suggest fraud when I use it to pay out early?". The loan did start out as a form of government guarantee loan (low income), but they can not have it both ways.

Confused looks from the new counter clerk, but the manager sorted it out as he had been there when we started with them and was my loan consultant at the time.

Lol, I don't care if they call it fraud or not.  Let them investigate for a year.  But If they don't accept payment when offered, they can't continue to charge me interest!

Huh.

Wow! That's another level- insanity.

I feel this lady a little bit.  The deep cleaning I had to do on my house was intense and I'm sure I still missed a lot.  It wasn't dirty by any conventional means, but you would be surprised how much grime builds up everywhere nobody thinks to look.  Spring cleaning type stuff like cleaning every inch of every door including the tops (splashed gunk from where???), under the counters and cabinets, inside the cabinets, re-caulking everything, light switches that need harsh cleaners or replacements, and so on and so forth.  And don't get me started on the bathrooms.  I'd usually at least replace the seats but mine were too expensive so I removed them and soaked them in a bleach solution then hosed them off and sun dried them. 

I used to be a much worse germophobe, the above is the mild version.

Luckily the previous owners didn't have pets but who knows what is under your floors??? 

There is something to be said about knowing everything that's every happened to your house and carrying the sole blame for every dent, scratch, and spill.

But I'll still pragmatically take a look at the cost of the new house vs an old house and paying someone to clean it really well, plus liberal replacement of some items like toilets.  The real reason I didn't buy new is nobody is building reasonable new homes in decent sized lots anymore.  If they are on a nice lot, you can expect it to be at least 4000 sq ft (and likely much more).  The only alternative left is custom house on a lot I choose but good lots in his area are mostly built up (unless you buy huge and subdivide) so again the price is astronomical

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2422 on: February 02, 2016, 02:32:49 PM »
If you buy a newly-constructed house, you can know for sure that the only people who have been inside have been construction workers, who are universally regarded for their commitment to sanitation.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #2423 on: February 02, 2016, 04:26:48 PM »
While doing a demo on a very high end house we found beer cans inside of cinder blocks.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2424 on: February 02, 2016, 06:49:17 PM »
While doing a demo on a very high end house we found beer cans inside of cinder blocks.

LOL :)

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2425 on: February 02, 2016, 06:52:46 PM »
My mustachian problem of the moment:

I need to throw out my shoes.

It was raining in Chicago today, and while crossing the street, I stepped into a VERY SHALLOW puddle.. like maybe 1/2 inch or less.  But I felt cold water seeping into my foot!

Turns out, the rubber bottom of my shoe (that I bought about 4 years ago), has completely warn off, and the exposed area above the rubber has cracked (along the steam of the arch of my foot.)  Time to throw those shoes out.

Oh well, I have 2 brand new pairs of shoes that I was given as gifts, that I haven't even worn yet, and have been keeping for a couple of years :D

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2426 on: February 02, 2016, 07:19:45 PM »
If you buy a newly-constructed house, you can know for sure that the only people who have been inside have been construction workers, who are universally regarded for their commitment to sanitation.

I've heard this, but don't see it in reality.

Nevertheless, if you buy a used house, it's construction workers over the course of a few months plus years and years of other stuff.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2427 on: February 02, 2016, 07:32:12 PM »

Right ;)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2428 on: February 02, 2016, 07:33:19 PM »

LOL :)

Excellent waste management. ;)

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #2429 on: February 03, 2016, 01:34:00 AM »
My mustachian problem of the moment:

I need to throw out my shoes.

It was raining in Chicago today, and while crossing the street, I stepped into a VERY SHALLOW puddle.. like maybe 1/2 inch or less.  But I felt cold water seeping into my foot!

Turns out, the rubber bottom of my shoe (that I bought about 4 years ago), has completely warn off, and the exposed area above the rubber has cracked (along the steam of the arch of my foot.)  Time to throw those shoes out.

Oh well, I have 2 brand new pairs of shoes that I was given as gifts, that I haven't even worn yet, and have been keeping for a couple of years :D

Other than athletic shoes I actually buy mostly expensive shoes that can be resoled. They tend to be made of much nicer materials and over a lifetime the cost is not too bad. Plus, the cheaper "dress" shoes I used to wear and cheap boots tend to make my feet smell funny (synthetic materials? not breathable? It's probably not the synthetics because athletic shoes are synthetic and don't make my feet smell) and the expensive ones do not.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2430 on: February 03, 2016, 04:13:34 AM »

Yeah, and imagine building a house on used land! The horror! Who knows how many feet have trodden that less-than-virgin soil.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2431 on: February 03, 2016, 06:29:26 AM »
Yeah, and imagine building a house on used land! The horror! Who knows how many feet have trodden that less-than-virgin soil.

This is why the best evil masterminds require volcanic abodes or underground lairs they dug out with robots.  Obviously.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2432 on: February 03, 2016, 09:23:06 AM »

This is why the best evil masterminds require volcanic abodes or underground lairs they dug out with robots.  Obviously.

Sounds promising.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2433 on: February 03, 2016, 09:44:10 AM »

I've lived in 8 used houses and 4 used apartments, I may not survive much longer after all that.
btw. what is it I'm going to die from?

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2434 on: February 03, 2016, 09:50:58 AM »
Yesterday I was home, the dishwasher was pretty full so I added soap and ran it. When it was finished I shook the water off the racks and turned the fan on to air dry them. Then I put all the dishes in their proper place along with all the silverware.
 When my wife got home from work and noticed I ran the dishwasher, she commented if you're going to run the dishwasher, get my cup from the water dispenser on the refridgerator and wash it.   meh!
  I should have taked a bike ride instead. :-)

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2435 on: February 03, 2016, 09:52:29 AM »
We were looking at an estate sale here and the realtor said no-chain, the owner died. Then did a massive double take and spent the rest of the tour re-assuring us that she had died in hospital not in the house.
Our house in the UK was nearly 200years old - so 10 generations had been born or died in it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2436 on: February 03, 2016, 12:01:21 PM »

I certainly would never breathe used air

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 12:03:33 PM by dragoncar »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2437 on: February 03, 2016, 12:52:31 PM »
We were looking at an estate sale here and the realtor said no-chain, the owner died. Then did a massive double take and spent the rest of the tour re-assuring us that she had died in hospital not in the house.
Our house in the UK was nearly 200years old - so 10 generations had been born or died in it.
LOL! I own a rental in a retirement community. My first tenant lived there for the final nine years of his life. He told me he intended to stay until his last breath and I heartily approved of his plan. He got his wish. When it came time to re-list the home, I was completely open about it. No one batted an eyelash. Seems among the senior set, dying at home is the gold standard. RIP Jack, I miss you.

P.S. This is Jack's favorite joke, told to me many times with twinkling eyes, an impish grin and a perfect Scottish burr. He'd say "I'm Scottish and I'm Jewish, d'you know what that means?...I know how to make it and I know how to keep it." Ah, Jack. Possibly the oldest, wisest, funniest Mustachian I ever met.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2438 on: February 03, 2016, 08:10:55 PM »

I certainly would never breathe used air

Certainly not!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2439 on: February 03, 2016, 08:41:41 PM »
MPP: Someone I know slightly asked me if I could help them with a really complicated tax issue, saying that someone he works with (who I also know slightly) told him they thought I was an accountant.

But... I'm not an accountant! They must have overheard a comment about 'financial spreadsheets' or 'tax planning' or something and just assumed... haha.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2440 on: February 03, 2016, 11:35:12 PM »

What's really weird about this is that it was said by a teacher.  It doesn't matter how tony the neighborhood; if you're a teacher, you're not making much.  The parents of the kids you are teaching might have the means to have such a ridiculous attitude, but the teacher doesn't.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2441 on: February 04, 2016, 02:10:16 AM »

In my old apartment I found some cans of cider in the roof space (cider in the UK is all alcoholic, btw, so not only were the workmen untidy, they were drinking on the job!).

Anyway, as I lifted them out, I was like, "These are half full! Who wastes good cider like that?!", and my husband was all, "love... what's in those cans ain't cider..."

Fastfwd

• Stubble
« Reply #2442 on: February 04, 2016, 06:47:01 AM »
What's really weird about this is that it was said by a teacher.  It doesn't matter how tony the neighborhood; if you're a teacher, you're not making much.

Maybe it depends on the country. I make enough to be in the top 10% salaries in Canada and my ex-wife teacher basically made as much as me or more when you factor in that she has a defined benefits pension for 70% of her salary after 35 years. She can just spend it all and still be pretty certain of a good retirement.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #2443 on: February 04, 2016, 07:43:16 AM »
On my first pass through our 2015 taxes yesterday, I was horrified to discover we nearly blew the tIRA MAGI phaseout and were only "saved" by underperforming rentals (big vacancies etc) - we squeaked in just under the limit. We both just got raises, and rentals + side work should net at least $10K more in 2016, so we'll surely blow right past the phaseout into 100% nondeductible territory.

Oh well, it was high time I paid my fair share, right? Thanks Obama! ;)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2444 on: February 04, 2016, 08:04:49 AM »
On my first pass through our 2015 taxes yesterday, I was horrified to discover we nearly blew the tIRA MAGI phaseout and were only "saved" by underperforming rentals (big vacancies etc) - we squeaked in just under the limit. We both just got raises, and rentals + side work should net at least $10K more in 2016, so we'll surely blow right past the phaseout into 100% nondeductible territory.

Oh well, it was high time I paid my fair share, right? Thanks Obama! ;)

Well, you earn double the median income you un-middle class person ;). At least you're not in backdoor territory. For that you'd have to be a filthy 1%er!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2445 on: February 04, 2016, 08:28:03 AM »
Well, you earn double the median income you un-middle class person ;). At least you're not in backdoor territory. For that you'd have to be a filthy 1%er!

But everyone thinks we're poor because we live in a below-median home in a LCOL town. What good is getting rich if we can't look rich? *sobs*

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2446 on: February 04, 2016, 08:50:20 AM »

But everyone thinks we're poor because we live in a below-median home in a LCOL town. What good is getting rich if we can't look rich? *sobs*

I live in a rent-stabilized (middle class) apartment that raises rents in line with the official October inflation number every year, same as Social Security benefits. For our area, the rents are super good since this has been happening since the 1970s (rent inflation >> general inflation). We pay $964 (up from $951 2 years ago) as compared to places that rent for $1500-$2000 the next building over in the same town with the same bad schools. There's a person here who is retired and makes $200k/yr give or take.

For you, the rents listed probably sound insane. It's a fact of life when you live in the most populated metro area in the US.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2447 on: February 04, 2016, 09:27:10 AM »

I live in a rent-stabilized (middle class) apartment that raises rents in line with the official October inflation number every year, same as Social Security benefits. For our area, the rents are super good since this has been happening since the 1970s (rent inflation >> general inflation). We pay $964 (up from $951 2 years ago) as compared to places that rent for $1500-$2000 the next building over in the same town with the same bad schools. There's a person here who is retired and makes $200k/yr give or take.

For you, the rents listed probably sound insane. It's a fact of life when you live in the most populated metro area in the US.

What does the rent stabilization do to owners of the property?
Just from your numbers, Unstabilized the rent could be twice as
much which means the property value could be double. I'd hate
to be an owner with the government holding down the price of my rental.
What don't I understand?

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2448 on: February 04, 2016, 09:40:58 AM »
   What does the rent stabilization do to owners of the property?
Generally screws them.
Depending on the city, either it's only a small proportion of the units that are rent controlled - so it's just another tax you factor into the cost of doing business. Or in return for one building that is rent controlled you get to put up a shopping mall or luxury condo without any planning difficulties.

In some cities it just means that as property prices rise but rents stay the same, you stop doing maintenance and run the place down until all the good tenants leave and it becomes a slum - then you demolish it (or have a convenient fire) and build a new building with rents reset to current market rate.

Either way it helps big developer corporations, who make political contributions,  over small private landlords.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2449 on: February 04, 2016, 09:53:23 AM »

I lived in Brooklyn for a while and paid $666 (WOO) for 1/3 of a shitty 3BR loft in a transitional neighborhood - when I left the total was going from $2K to $2600 or $2800, and I'm sure it's well over $3K now for the same place. I understand and appreciate the economic factors that produce the disparity.

I'd be much more likely to still be there if I'd had a deal like yours. As is, I came back here to build financial strength for my next move. Five years later, FIRE is in sight. :D

I'm glad to be in a town where rents are only starting to rise and price controls will not be an issue during the explosive growth phase of our portfolio (this year and next). Later on, when we've established sufficient baseline income, holding them to the rate of inflation will be fine by me.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!