Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086657 times)

merula

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #2150 on: November 04, 2015, 09:22:53 AM »
You classify your medical expenses under "fun money?!?"  Wow, you are taking frugality to a whole new level...

"Fun money" is in quotes because it's mostly stuff for fun but also things that just don't fit in the budget. Like medical expenses beyond the FSA limit, home repairs, etc. Basically what normal people would use their emergency fund for.

I'm guessing OP had a large medical expense that didn't fit in the budget and took from the fun money to pay the bill. But, perhaps you realize this and were just being funny.....  It's so hard to tell on the internet......

Yes, exactly.

Honestly, I just thought that merula had really good times!!

That would be a better story.

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2151 on: November 12, 2015, 11:10:11 AM »
Had this one just happen to me. I brought my lunch to work (as always) and on the way to the microwaves, stopped to use the restroom. When I came out my lunch was gone! Found it moments later tossed in an open trash can! Apparently using an empty breadbag has its risks ; )

DividendMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Dividend Money
« Reply #2152 on: November 12, 2015, 11:40:50 AM »
I haven’t posted much, so not sure if this is in the right place, but thought I’d drop it in here.

Built a new house a couple of years ago and the builder had a deal with a local credit union that would pay all of the legal costs of closing on any new house built by that builder if you took out a mortgage with them.

They  also had a promotion to give 50,000 credit card points if you opened a mortgage over $300,000 and signed up for one of their credit cards.

I took out an open variable rate mortgage for $300,000 & signed up for the credit card. As soon as the legal bill was paid and the points were credited to my credit card account, I went in and paid off the mortgage. I still remember the look on the teller’s face when I handed her the draft for $300,000 and told her I wanted to close the mortgage.

The next month, I used the credit card points to buy a $50 Walmart gift card and then canceled the credit card.

Savings of ~$3000 in legal fees.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2153 on: November 12, 2015, 01:35:14 PM »
I budgeted $8,000 to buy a new piano.  Spent a lot of time at piano store figuring out exactly what I wanted. Yesterday during a another research trip found exactly the piano I wanted used and with a cosmetic issue for $1700.  Now what shall I do with all that leftover money?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2154 on: November 12, 2015, 01:39:17 PM »
I budgeted $8,000 to buy a new piano.  Spent a lot of time at piano store figuring out exactly what I wanted. Yesterday during a another research trip found exactly the piano I wanted used and with a cosmetic issue for $1700.  Now what shall I do with all that leftover money?

http://www.charitywater.org/about/

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2155 on: November 12, 2015, 05:25:35 PM »

I thought that pianos were something that people would be desperate to get rid of, but couldn't because they're so huge so they'd practically give them away if you pick them up. Am I wrong?

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2156 on: November 12, 2015, 10:00:24 PM »
I thought that pianos were something that people would be desperate to get rid of, but couldn't because they're so huge so they'd practically give them away if you pick them up. Am I wrong?
Home quality ones that your great aunt had - yes.
High quality professional musical instruments - probably still yes !

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2157 on: November 12, 2015, 11:17:28 PM »
I haven’t posted much, so not sure if this is in the right place, but thought I’d drop it in here.

Built a new house a couple of years ago and the builder had a deal with a local credit union that would pay all of the legal costs of closing on any new house built by that builder if you took out a mortgage with them.

They  also had a promotion to give 50,000 credit card points if you opened a mortgage over $300,000 and signed up for one of their credit cards.

I took out an open variable rate mortgage for $300,000 & signed up for the credit card. As soon as the legal bill was paid and the points were credited to my credit card account, I went in and paid off the mortgage. I still remember the look on the teller’s face when I handed her the draft for $300,000 and told her I wanted to close the mortgage.

The next month, I used the credit card points to buy a $50 Walmart gift card and then canceled the credit card.

Savings of ~$3000 in legal fees.

Agreed, I wouldn't call that a problem! But its a very impressive way to work the system. Really.

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2158 on: November 12, 2015, 11:32:59 PM »
Had this one just happen to me. I brought my lunch to work (as always) and on the way to the microwaves, stopped to use the restroom. When I came out my lunch was gone! Found it moments later tossed in an open trash can! Apparently using an empty breadbag has its risks ; )
Ha! I've gotten so much grief for that. It's the last two slices in the loaf, why not just use the bag!

On a different note,
I received a refund of about $700 back to a credit card around Oct 1. Rather than request a check, I figured I would just use that card as my principle payment for groceries, restaurants and discretionary spending. Still have 370 lil soldiers not working for me.

Also, I turn down those spend $500/$1000/$1500 in 30/60/90 days to get the CC bonuses because I can't spend enough.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 11:37:29 PM by JZinCO »

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #2159 on: November 13, 2015, 01:43:12 AM »

I always use an empty breadbag!  Even for other stuff, like bringing fruit or snack tomatoes or something. This never happened to me, phew! :)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2160 on: November 13, 2015, 06:19:53 AM »
Also, I turn down those spend $500/$1000/$1500 in 30/60/90 days to get the CC bonuses because I can't spend enough.
Here in germany there are no big bonuses - at least for cards without yearly costs.
But I had to pay nearly 1000€ with only CC as option, so I tried it with the only I could find with 25€ signup bonus after 500€. 
But they didnt wanted me. I dont fell into their credit rules. Low income, no credit at all, not even a used dispo (overdraft?), nothing a sucka consumer has.
Be responsible with your money and you aren't wanted, throw it away and you get offers for cards thrown at you O.o

Anyway, I now did have to use my new debit/maestro card from my new bank account I got just this week. That combi card is really nice, pay with debit or credit card (if used as CC money is still deducted immediately from bank acount) and get money at ATM without costs in the EURO region.
But the best is that this card not only doesn't cost anything, but you get paid 2€ a month if you dont use it to get money at the ATM.
Since I have to transfer the sum I need cash to a second account each month anyway to keep that one without costs, thats practically free 24€ a year for having a super versatile card in emergencies.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #2161 on: November 13, 2015, 09:28:10 AM »
But they didnt wanted me. I dont fell into their credit rules. Low income, no credit at all, not even a used dispo (overdraft?), nothing a sucka consumer has.
Be responsible with your money and you aren't wanted, throw it away and you get offers for cards thrown at you O.o

Charging fees and penalties to the foolish is a good portion of the profit to be made in the credit card business.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2162 on: November 13, 2015, 09:44:11 AM »
Home quality ones that your great aunt had - yes.
High quality professional musical instruments - probably still yes !

You are both right.  My first piano was a freebie and it was good enough to get a start on.  Now that I am far enough along to benefit from the pulling power that making a glorious sound has on the amount of practice I do I have to pay. 

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2163 on: November 13, 2015, 09:03:53 PM »

Charging fees and penalties to the foolish is a good portion of the profit to be made in the credit card business.

And so much from interest and minimum payments as well. It is said for U.S, if everyone paid off their debt our economy would collapse. Pitiful.
But then things would be changing for the better, as MMM wrote in an article on the worries of some regarding the issue if Mustachianism becoming widespread.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2164 on: November 14, 2015, 04:39:00 AM »

And so much from interest and minimum payments as well. It is said for U.S, if everyone paid off their debt our economy would collapse. Pitiful.
But then things would be changing for the better, as MMM wrote in an article on the worries of some regarding the issue if Mustachianism becoming widespread.

There's not enough money to pay off all the debt. It's also how fiat money works, which is why some debt is necessary--the economy would collapse if there was no money

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2165 on: November 14, 2015, 11:13:06 PM »

There's not enough money to pay off all the debt. It's also how fiat money works, which is why some debt is necessary--the economy would collapse if there was no money

Exactly.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2166 on: November 14, 2015, 11:17:13 PM »
Sheet music.

LOL

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2167 on: November 14, 2015, 11:18:21 PM »

Sheet music.

LOL -- JK, in reality that is sheet music and a filing cabinet.....    (those that play know what I mean)

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2168 on: November 15, 2015, 06:33:03 AM »
My 3 year old regularly begs to go to Goodwill, because he knows that's basically the only store where I will buy him toys. Last time, he got a special cup to drink hot cocoa, and the time before that a bath boat. He doesn't know I spent less than $1 for each.

The real problem comes when I don't buy him the thing he wants, and he becomes fixated on it, because it's not like I can go back later and get it.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2169 on: November 15, 2015, 07:57:13 AM »
I had to turn on the heat today.  Not because I'm too cold, but because I'm having friends over.

DesireeD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2170 on: November 15, 2015, 08:46:29 AM »
   My husband chided me that heat was only for company, because that's the only time I let it go above 63.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2171 on: November 15, 2015, 09:28:20 AM »
I had to turn on the heat today.  Not because I'm too cold, but because I'm having friends over.
I can so relate to this.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2172 on: November 15, 2015, 10:51:23 AM »

Sheet music.

LOL -- JK, in reality that is sheet music and a filing cabinet.....    (those that play know what I mean)

I stopped at the thrift store and picked up eight used books of sheet music for first and second year beginners.  Then I stopped at  another thrift store and bough a set of shelves for $10.  Have now spent $18.  Have now spent $1,718/$8,000.  Now what?  By the way, I hate that 10 yr. old boy who plays The Miniature Waltz on the internet.  It makes me feel completely inferior.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #2173 on: November 15, 2015, 02:58:39 PM »
   My husband chided me that heat was only for company, because that's the only time I let it go above 63.

I programmed the thermostat to 65 during the day and 63 at night. I don't think my husband has figured out how to change the programming... but he HAS figured out the override feature. Boo. The last few days he's kept it warmer on the grounds that our son is sick and he doesn't want him to get too cold. We put a steam vaporizer in his room and it's the warmest in the house, but whatever, I guess. Considering I'm the only one in this family who seems to actually feel cold, it seems to me that if I'm willing to suffer, everyone else should be fine; they're all running around in shirtsleeves when I'm wearing 3 shirts and leggings under my jeans.

DesireeD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2174 on: November 15, 2015, 03:40:17 PM »
I go around saying things like, " heat the body, not the room. Zip up your sweatshirt. Adaption to cold is good for your immune system, and where's that wool hat I got you?"

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2175 on: November 15, 2015, 08:02:38 PM »
I can so relate to this.

I can relate to this- but a slightly different scenario. At work everyone's so cold even in their coats, so they want heat. I'm always warm, so I wear tank tops or tube tops all year round. They think I'm crazy. Ive also been walking to work recently, so by the time I get to work I am hot! :)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2176 on: November 16, 2015, 06:28:50 AM »

The other day I put a beaten egg on top of a chicken pie to make the pastry all lovely and glossy. My husband asked, "Are we having company?!".

I hadn't realised he noticed I usually only break out an egg for guests, for us I usually just use milk!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2177 on: November 16, 2015, 07:08:13 AM »
The problem with not living paycheque to paycheque (or in my case monthly penion payment to pension payment) is that I am slow to cash expense cheques, and the treasurers of my various groups end up emailing me to please cash the cheques so they can balance the books.

Seriously, I am off to the bank this morning, to deposit a cheque I have had for at least 3 weeks.  The last one I had for at least 5.  Cheque deposits are one of the few things I actually do at the bank, and I do them so rarely that I have to plan the trip to the bank.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2178 on: November 16, 2015, 09:08:44 AM »
The problem with not living paycheque to paycheque (or in my case monthly penion payment to pension payment) is that I am slow to cash expense cheques, and the treasurers of my various groups end up emailing me to please cash the cheques so they can balance the books.

Seriously, I am off to the bank this morning, to deposit a cheque I have had for at least 3 weeks.  The last one I had for at least 5.  Cheque deposits are one of the few things I actually do at the bank, and I do them so rarely that I have to plan the trip to the bank.

Does your bank not offer mobile deposits?

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2179 on: November 16, 2015, 09:14:47 AM »

I can so relate to this. Firstly I am a facialist so I get paid differently-cash and checks. I wait until either the total cash I've earned is so high I feel I should get paid so people don't think I'm rich and give me less work(this happens believe it or not). Or until I've got 4 or so checks.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2180 on: November 16, 2015, 05:44:35 PM »

You can also mail checks to the bank. I did that for many years to my old credit union, but now since I don't have a lot of paper checks, I just deposit them electronically into my Ally account.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2181 on: November 16, 2015, 06:38:00 PM »

Sometimes there is mobile deposit *for a fee*. If I were me, I'd rather wait 3 weeks until it's convenient than pay a fee.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2182 on: November 16, 2015, 09:03:28 PM »
Sometimes there is mobile deposit *for a fee*. If I were me, I'd rather wait 3 weeks until it's convenient than pay a fee.
What kind of idiot business would charge you a fee to do something totally automatically for them rather than tie up a real person in a physical branch ?
Oh, of course, a bank !

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2183 on: November 17, 2015, 01:55:38 AM »
What kind of idiot business would charge you a fee to do something totally automatically for them rather than tie up a real person in a physical branch ?
Oh, of course, a bank !

If I were me, I'd rather switch banks.

BTW, Ticketmaster is notorious for charging a "convenience fee" to print your own tickets.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2184 on: November 17, 2015, 03:56:24 AM »
Ran the numbers again and had to cut back on my HSA contribution so we don't go over the IRS max.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2185 on: November 17, 2015, 05:52:31 AM »
I had to turn my thermostat down because the temperature was getting close to the set point (60F) and I'm getting ready to leave for the day - it isn't that cold in here....

Did I mention I live in my super warm cycling gear and love my electric blanket though?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2186 on: November 17, 2015, 06:03:52 AM »
Re my cheque deposits - people are giving solutions to a problem I don't have. Depositing the cheques is not hard.

The mustachian problem was that I was so not-desperate to cash them that they sat in my wallet for weeks because I couldn't be bothered to go 2 km out of my way to deposit them. 

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2187 on: November 17, 2015, 06:42:06 AM »
Oh, of course, a bank !

My city charges a "convenience fee" to pay municipal bills online. I sure hope they enjoy paying someone to open up the envelope with my check in it.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2188 on: November 17, 2015, 06:47:59 AM »
My city charges a "convenience fee" to pay municipal bills online. I sure hope they enjoy paying someone to open up the envelope with my check in it.
Wow - I hope they would enjoy me paying by 50 separate checks.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2189 on: November 17, 2015, 06:49:50 AM »

Pennies. Every month. Consider it your inconvenience fee ;).

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2190 on: November 17, 2015, 09:14:00 AM »

Since I know this... the city isn't running the online deposit stuff. They've contracted with a 3rd party company who does that, so the fee is probably going to that company.

Assuming the city has it setup halfway decently, they have a central group of people/department that handles all cash collections, so that's for police, buildings, code, parking, etc. Often called Collections.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2191 on: November 17, 2015, 11:44:01 AM »

Since I know this... the city isn't running the online deposit stuff. They've contracted with a 3rd party company who does that, so the fee is probably going to that company.

Assuming the city has it setup halfway decently, they have a central group of people/department that handles all cash collections, so that's for police, buildings, code, parking, etc. Often called Collections.

Yes. and often cities and municipalities are legally bound to charge a certain amount for services. So the convenience fee is tacked on after the fact. In the private sector, they just raise the price for everyone.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2192 on: November 17, 2015, 01:40:20 PM »
From what I understand, our utility company will be paying out a $400 million credit to customers because they exploded an entire town.  The millionez will be apportioned by natural gas usage in November and December.  Obviously our usage is lower than average, so our credit will be smaller.

The thing that really gets my goat, however, is that much of the payment will be going to wholesalers or industrial users... as if they will be passing on the windfall to their customers.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2193 on: November 17, 2015, 05:41:35 PM »
Re my cheque deposits - people are giving solutions to a problem I don't have. Depositing the cheques is not hard.

The mustachian problem was that I was so not-desperate to cash them that they sat in my wallet for weeks because I couldn't be bothered to go 2 km out of my way to deposit them.

My sentiments exactly

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2194 on: November 17, 2015, 07:12:59 PM »
From what I understand, our utility company will be paying out a $400 million credit to customers because they exploded an entire town.  The millionez will be apportioned by natural gas usage in November and December.  Obviously our usage is lower than average, so our credit will be smaller.

The thing that really gets my goat, however, is that much of the payment will be going to wholesalers or industrial users... as if they will be passing on the windfall to their customers.

Mind. Boggled. I assume you are being literal??

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2195 on: November 17, 2015, 07:30:26 PM »

My guess:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_San_Bruno_pipeline_explosion

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2196 on: November 17, 2015, 08:44:34 PM »
Ack!  I just realized I forgot to give our neigbour the bill for the fence I built (that he pre-approved paying half for).  He re-asked/ re offered  about it a couple of months ago.
It's well over $500...

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #2197 on: November 17, 2015, 09:22:01 PM »

My guess:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_San_Bruno_pipeline_explosion

A co-worker of mine lost his entire house in that explosion.

TrMama

« Reply #2198 on: November 25, 2015, 05:31:46 PM »
This morning I ran an extra errand on my bike commute that took me due east. The sun was low on the horizon and laser beamed right into my eyeballs the whole way. My mustachian problem was that my bike doesn't have a sun visor and sunglasses only do so much against that much sunshine.

Woe is me.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2199 on: November 26, 2015, 06:37:01 AM »
This morning I ran an extra errand on my bike commute that took me due east. The sun was low on the horizon and laser beamed right into my eyeballs the whole way. My mustachian problem was that my bike doesn't have a sun visor and sunglasses only do so much against that much sunshine.

Woe is me.
Note to self:  This time of year, throw my glasses in my messenger bag for biking....