Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086786 times)

solon

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #200 on: August 01, 2014, 03:13:06 PM »
Ads suck. That's the conversation I'm going to jump in on. Ads suck. Two reasons why. Let's assume you don't actually buy shit that the ad is selling.

Reason number one. Ads are society's window on you. If you're watching, it's for you. I may have stolen that line, but it's a good one. You remember that shitty ad, where a good-looking guy buys his good-looking wife a lexus for christmas, so they can cart around their good-looking kids? How many people are going to watch that ad and buy a lexus? A couple. Are you? No. "Problem avoided!" Not so fast. The ad didn't sell you a lexus, but it sold you a family. It sold you a haircut and clothes and accessories and a house and "the american dream"; pretty people look like this and they drive a lexus. You're not an idiot so you didn't go out and buy a lexus, but you did look at the pretty people. Your argument was "do pretty people buy lexuses for christmas?" and you accepted "this is what pretty people look like" and that ad didn't sell you a lexus, it sold you Niemen Marcus. Or, considering the forum, it sold you Marshall's. It still sold you something.

Reason number two. Even if it didn't sell you anything, because you're the smartest of the smarts, it still got everyone around you. You maybe didn't even see the ad, you probably didn't even see the ad, but everyone else did and everyone bought "this is what pretty people look like," especially because they've been buying it their whole lives with slight changes in style, and now you have to conform to that. "But I don't shop there." But whoever designs your clothes, unless you sew and tailor your own without ever looking at what anyone else is wearing, is making things in the proper style of today plus or minus five years. Maybe you don't "shop there" but I bet you wore a windbreaker in the 90s and don't today.

That's my mustachian people problems, as the OP put it. I don't watch ads and they still affect me greatly, but I don't know precisely how, and whether I mind or care, and whether it's harmful.

I liked this one.  It reminded me of "The Last Psychiatrist" (a blogger).  His/her blog is where I first read what you said about "if you're watching it, it's for you."  From what I understand it's one of his/her catch phrases.  Your analysis reminded me of that blogger too.

Maybe gimp IS The Last Psychiatrist! Have you ever seen them in a room together? Just sayin...

gobius

• Stubble
« Reply #201 on: August 01, 2014, 03:29:46 PM »
I know that being a more Mustachian type than most people really moves the baseline as to what you consider to be "good with finances" and "bad with finances".  I've always been pretty frugal but am much more so now; I consider my previous spending habits excessive even though I was still saving 40-50% of my money (depending on the year).  I got crap for how frugal I was THEN.  Mind you, I make a good salary so spending that much is quite a bit of money (although below the national average I'm sure).

For example, my sister was telling me about a guy she was dating; she was considering breaking up with him and was listing some of his good/bad qualities.  She said, "He's great with finances."  I pointed out how often he gets hammered at the bar and said that didn't strike me as great with finances.  She said, "He has no debt."  I pointed out how, sure, he doesn't have debt, but he spends all his money on what I consider to be toys (nice truck, Harley motorcycle) and has a little savings but doesn't seem to have a long-term savings goal.  She said, "Well, it's not bad for someone who's 26."  It's a fair point.  Sure, I don't see his expenses as great since he's buying depreciating assets instead of investing.  However, to her (and most people), he's not doing bad since he doesn't have a loan on them.  He really isn't in a bad situation, but since I don't see it as ideal for me, I tend to still see it as "bad with finances".

For a lot of people, including my other sister and my dad, being "good with finances" means being able to balance your check book and making sure you don't overdraft on your account.  It means paying your bills on time, including your credit card even if you carry a $5K balance at 20%.  To me, it's maintaining at least a 50% savings rate.  I have to keep that in mind when discussing finances with people outside of this forum.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #202 on: August 01, 2014, 03:31:02 PM »
Another problem - we buy so little stuff that we're constantly running out of plastic bags to use for garbage. We have to keep asking boyfriend's parents for more.

I blame it on grocery stores charging for bags. I'm not paying 5 cents for a bag when I have a perfectly good Magic Purse! (my boyfriend calls it the Magic Purse because it looks tiny but can hold a ridiculous amount of stuff - like two or three heads of broccoli in addition to my coat, wallet, etc)

gobius

• Stubble
« Reply #203 on: August 01, 2014, 03:33:09 PM »
Ads suck. That's the conversation I'm going to jump in on. Ads suck. Two reasons why. Let's assume you don't actually buy shit that the ad is selling.

Reason number one. Ads are society's window on you. If you're watching, it's for you. I may have stolen that line, but it's a good one. You remember that shitty ad, where a good-looking guy buys his good-looking wife a lexus for christmas, so they can cart around their good-looking kids? How many people are going to watch that ad and buy a lexus? A couple. Are you? No. "Problem avoided!" Not so fast. The ad didn't sell you a lexus, but it sold you a family. It sold you a haircut and clothes and accessories and a house and "the american dream"; pretty people look like this and they drive a lexus. You're not an idiot so you didn't go out and buy a lexus, but you did look at the pretty people. Your argument was "do pretty people buy lexuses for christmas?" and you accepted "this is what pretty people look like" and that ad didn't sell you a lexus, it sold you Niemen Marcus. Or, considering the forum, it sold you Marshall's. It still sold you something.

Reason number two. Even if it didn't sell you anything, because you're the smartest of the smarts, it still got everyone around you. You maybe didn't even see the ad, you probably didn't even see the ad, but everyone else did and everyone bought "this is what pretty people look like," especially because they've been buying it their whole lives with slight changes in style, and now you have to conform to that. "But I don't shop there." But whoever designs your clothes, unless you sew and tailor your own without ever looking at what anyone else is wearing, is making things in the proper style of today plus or minus five years. Maybe you don't "shop there" but I bet you wore a windbreaker in the 90s and don't today.

That's my mustachian people problems, as the OP put it. I don't watch ads and they still affect me greatly, but I don't know precisely how, and whether I mind or care, and whether it's harmful.

I liked this one.  It reminded me of "The Last Psychiatrist" (a blogger).  His/her blog is where I first read what you said about "if you're watching it, it's for you."  From what I understand it's one of his/her catch phrases.  Your analysis reminded me of that blogger too.

Maybe gimp IS The Last Psychiatrist! Have you ever seen them in a room together? Just sayin...

LOL it's possible, but aren't we all just narcissists to think that TLP would want to join our forum?

[Not serious of course; TLP talks about narcissists a lot.]

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #204 on: August 01, 2014, 03:38:25 PM »
I know that being a more Mustachian type than most people really moves the baseline as to what you consider to be "good with finances" and "bad with finances".  I've always been pretty frugal but am much more so now; I consider my previous spending habits excessive even though I was still saving 40-50% of my money (depending on the year).  I got crap for how frugal I was THEN.  Mind you, I make a good salary so spending that much is quite a bit of money (although below the national average I'm sure).

For example, my sister was telling me about a guy she was dating; she was considering breaking up with him and was listing some of his good/bad qualities.  She said, "He's great with finances."  I pointed out how often he gets hammered at the bar and said that didn't strike me as great with finances.  She said, "He has no debt."  I pointed out how, sure, he doesn't have debt, but he spends all his money on what I consider to be toys (nice truck, Harley motorcycle) and has a little savings but doesn't seem to have a long-term savings goal.  She said, "Well, it's not bad for someone who's 26."  It's a fair point.  Sure, I don't see his expenses as great since he's buying depreciating assets instead of investing.  However, to her (and most people), he's not doing bad since he doesn't have a loan on them.  He really isn't in a bad situation, but since I don't see it as ideal for me, I tend to still see it as "bad with finances".

For a lot of people, including my other sister and my dad, being "good with finances" means being able to balance your check book and making sure you don't overdraft on your account.  It means paying your bills on time, including your credit card even if you carry a $5K balance at 20%.  To me, it's maintaining at least a 50% savings rate.  I have to keep that in mind when discussing finances with people outside of this forum.

Oh god, I use to work with people like that - they would talk to each other about how good they were with money because they managed to keep afloat month to month. All had debt, all went shopping on pay day, zero savings, phones getting cut off regularly for non-payment, but the fact that they weren't living on the street meant they were "good with money".

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #205 on: August 01, 2014, 03:48:13 PM »
Did an amateur review for a tech website on a 55 inch TV which they loaned me, now everyone asks me whether I'm buying it but it's way too big for me and my current (32") is only 5 years old...

Also got a speaker set as compensation for said review. Did not need nor want it so I sold it on out local Craig's list version.

I'm also grumbling about the fact that I can't reduce my mortgage any further until January because I've reached the yearly limit and any further payments are fined equal to the interest I'd have to pay  ...

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #206 on: August 02, 2014, 07:21:55 AM »
Someone broke into our Honda Fit last night. And found neither our old GPS nor any of our old CDs worth stealing.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #207 on: August 02, 2014, 11:55:21 AM »
And the bags are useless if you do get them (I will get one for really drippy things, and my store usually doesn't charge then) - they are so flimsy and rip so easily.  I actually have to buy kitchen garbage bags - before the charge I never bought them, I had more than enough.  I cringe every time I use one, it is so wasteful both ways.

Bulk Barn, on the other hand, has good bags, just a bit on the small side for the kitchen, but wonderful for yard patrol.   And they carry my dog's favourite treats, so that works out well  ;-)

Another problem - we buy so little stuff that we're constantly running out of plastic bags to use for garbage. We have to keep asking boyfriend's parents for more.

I blame it on grocery stores charging for bags. I'm not paying 5 cents for a bag when I have a perfectly good Magic Purse! (my boyfriend calls it the Magic Purse because it looks tiny but can hold a ridiculous amount of stuff - like two or three heads of broccoli in addition to my coat, wallet, etc)

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #208 on: August 02, 2014, 06:33:04 PM »
Mustachian problem #582

I don't need to live paycheck to paycheck, so I actually forget to deposit my paycheck. (Direct deposit isn't an option)

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #209 on: August 03, 2014, 06:58:08 AM »
When you volunteer to put company expenses on your card for the rewards points. Sometimes it takes a while to get your money back so you might have to pay the card before you get reimbursement. Everyone else is scared to death of this.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #210 on: August 04, 2014, 10:09:12 AM »
When you volunteer to put company expenses on your card for the rewards points. Sometimes it takes a while to get your money back so you might have to pay the card before you get reimbursement. Everyone else is scared to death of this.
Well, I wouldn't put a new excavator on it, too. Or an airplane, if you are in that business. Would mean a LOT of miles, though!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #211 on: August 04, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
I apply for credit so infrequently that the last job listed in the employment history section of my credit report is "WorldCom".   

edited:  left out a word
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 09:47:48 PM by BlueHouse »

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #212 on: August 04, 2014, 06:00:11 PM »
Well, I wouldn't put a new excavator on it, too. Or an airplane, if you are in that business. Would mean a LOT of miles, though!

Yea I was kind of talking a little smaller scale than that lol

db_cooper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #213 on: August 04, 2014, 10:11:41 PM »
It's been long enough since I gassed up that yellowjackets had built a nest behind the gas door.  I found out when I reached in to unscrew the cap.  Found out they bite and sting at the same time!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #214 on: August 05, 2014, 12:27:51 AM »
Getting a big box of fresh and exciting CSA produce and reading the really cool recipes that go with it and getting all excited to try them out...then realizing you have a busy week at work and closing on your old house and won't be able to get to it until the weekend...

Oh well beet burgers and roasted apricot with fresh whipped cream will have to wait.

Either that, or the produce all gets tossed into a colorful salad instead (the norm, and still good, but not as good as those recipes I read).

Maybe this belongs in a "I should really FIRE soon so I can take my time cooking" thread. :-(

EarlyQuit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #215 on: August 05, 2014, 09:32:46 AM »
I forget things. I opened a Chase checking account to get a $150 incentive and then forgot about the money sitting there... I walk everywhere and the one time I had to drive to work, I forgot my freaking car on the way back...

TheNorwegianGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #216 on: August 05, 2014, 09:55:43 AM »
When my parents travel (something they do alot) I normally get to loan one of their car for free (I do not have a car on my own)... But I am so used to not having a car that I forget I even have it until they come back a couple of weeks later and asks for it back... :/

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #217 on: August 05, 2014, 06:06:45 PM »
... I walk everywhere and the one time I had to drive to work, I forgot my freaking car on the way back...

Bwahahaha!   I really shouldn't drink while reading this forum - sprayed water everywhere!  Did you just leave it and walk back next day?

EarlyQuit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #218 on: August 05, 2014, 08:46:44 PM »

... I walk everywhere and the one time I had to drive to work, I forgot my freaking car on the way back...

Bwahahaha!   I really shouldn't drink while reading this forum - sprayed water everywhere!  Did you just leave it and walk back next day?

I ended up walking back later that evening. We have paid parking at work, of course I do not have a spot, so I was illegally parked in someone else's space that was vacant that day. It was safer to get the car out of there before next morning :)

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #219 on: August 05, 2014, 09:39:20 PM »

That's where I stole the quote from. He's pretty good. One of the things that bothers me most about what he writes is that I can understand how much he's right, and how much these things affect us (me), but I can't seem to care too much, and especially not get off my ass to do something about it. I like to think I go off the beaten path enough that the usual suspects don't affect me directly, and as the culture goes so will I, with some exceptions... but who knows? I don't. I don't know how I would, either.

So I choose a different path: I work for a company making popular products. Now ads work for me. Cultural shifts work for me. Every time my employer creates a new market out of thin air, and owns it, and everyone else struggles to break into it for two-three years... well, I do the whole employee stock purchase program, and they pay well too. I purposefully don't give a shit whether it's bad for the people who are dumb enough to buy the shiny gadgets on credit.

And when I'm tired of that, maybe I'll get a place for myself two hundred miles away from the closest town. I know just the spot. I've been there, in my beautiful, old, cranky, unremarkable car, the literal vehicle of my freedom. No ads to convince me, just had to take a good long look.

As you observe my future escape, make sure to observe the irony of an ad for a place during a discussion about ads. Well, to be fair, I ain't making money off you. Don't forget to notice the ad for an excellent camera and lens, too. Doesn't matter which, right? It's still there.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #220 on: August 06, 2014, 01:44:59 AM »
I love keeping track of my daily expenses in excel, but there are so many days that I don't spend anything that there is no need to open my excel file.

Yeah, I feel ya.
I even have 5 boxes for "non-fixed" expenses (other than cash expenses like groceries), over the course of the year I've used them all twice so I'm thinking I should remove 1 or 2 boxes from the template...

gobius

• Stubble
« Reply #221 on: August 06, 2014, 07:27:08 AM »

That's where I stole the quote from. He's pretty good. One of the things that bothers me most about what he writes is that I can understand how much he's right, and how much these things affect us (me), but I can't seem to care too much, and especially not get off my ass to do something about it. I like to think I go off the beaten path enough that the usual suspects don't affect me directly, and as the culture goes so will I, with some exceptions... but who knows? I don't. I don't know how I would, either.

So I choose a different path: I work for a company making popular products. Now ads work for me. Cultural shifts work for me. Every time my employer creates a new market out of thin air, and owns it, and everyone else struggles to break into it for two-three years... well, I do the whole employee stock purchase program, and they pay well too. I purposefully don't give a shit whether it's bad for the people who are dumb enough to buy the shiny gadgets on credit.

And when I'm tired of that, maybe I'll get a place for myself two hundred miles away from the closest town. I know just the spot. I've been there, in my beautiful, old, cranky, unremarkable car, the literal vehicle of my freedom. No ads to convince me, just had to take a good long look.

As you observe my future escape, make sure to observe the irony of an ad for a place during a discussion about ads. Well, to be fair, I ain't making money off you. Don't forget to notice the ad for an excellent camera and lens, too. Doesn't matter which, right? It's still there.

Often I have to read TLP's articles a couple of times because I get lost in what he's saying; I don't fully "get" it until the second reading.

Your future escape looks great to me and I especially enjoyed your last paragraph.

I can kind of relate to what you are saying.  I don't work in advertising or an innovative industry but work in an industry that benefits from public ignorance.  Most people I work with share this ignorance so they don't even see it.  It pays well and I've been in the industry awhile so I keep on, telling myself every so often to "just get fuckin' paid."  I'll hopefully be out soon enough.

I'm off to buy a new camera now...

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #222 on: August 06, 2014, 08:15:51 AM »
Oh my, it looks like the stock market is correcting.   With stocks dropping I'll have to try and remember my brokerage account password so I can buy some of these bargins. 
It's amazing, normal people buy consumer goods when they have 10 percent off sale.  But, they sell their stocks for 10 percent less.  Oh well more for me.

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #223 on: August 06, 2014, 08:56:00 AM »
Oh my, it looks like the stock market is correcting.   With stocks dropping I'll have to try and remember my brokerage account password so I can buy some of these bargins. 
It's amazing, normal people buy consumer goods when they have 10 percent off sale.  But, they sell their stocks for 10 percent less.  Oh well more for me.
I always remember my dad's advice like this. When you go to the grocery store to buy cereal, do you buy it at full price or on sale? On sale, correct? When it is on sale, how much do you buy? All you can. The stuff can sit on your shelf for a very long time. The same principles apply to stocks.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #224 on: August 06, 2014, 11:34:09 AM »
Often I have to read TLP's articles a couple of times because I get lost in what he's saying; I don't fully "get" it until the second reading.

Your future escape looks great to me and I especially enjoyed your last paragraph.

I can kind of relate to what you are saying.  I don't work in advertising or an innovative industry but work in an industry that benefits from public ignorance.  Most people I work with share this ignorance so they don't even see it.  It pays well and I've been in the industry awhile so I keep on, telling myself every so often to "just get fuckin' paid."  I'll hopefully be out soon enough.

I'm off to buy a new camera now...

Yeah, I hear you. I'm lucky in that I really love my work. I'm not doing world-changing stuff, but it's solid engineering and tons of fun. (That's why I may be on the wrong forum but I never plan to retire. Too much fun. Maybe that will change after xx years and maybe a family.) But that escape is where I'll go when I'm tired of it.

Oh my, it looks like the stock market is correcting.

Perfectly coinciding with me dumping more money into vanguard. Can't complain. I'll be back up shortly.

boognish

• Stubble
« Reply #225 on: August 06, 2014, 11:39:20 AM »
Mustachian problem #582

I don't need to live paycheck to paycheck, so I actually forget to deposit my paycheck. (Direct deposit isn't an option)
I've been guilty of this. One time the accountant hassled me because I was sitting on three paychecks and he was trying to reconcile the bank statement.

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #226 on: August 06, 2014, 12:58:46 PM »
Mustachian problem #582

I've been guilty of this. One time the accountant hassled me because I was sitting on three paychecks and he was trying to reconcile the bank statement.
Where do you guys work? I have had 3 jobs in the last 6 years in 3 different industries all do DD.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #227 on: August 06, 2014, 01:23:35 PM »
Mustachian problem #582

Where do you guys work? I have had 3 jobs in the last 6 years in 3 different industries all do DD.

My company does payroll for about 60 small businesses and exactly 5 do DD. 

TheNorwegianGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #228 on: August 06, 2014, 01:46:59 PM »
Mustachian problem #582

:o

I have never held a check in my hands my whole life and in fact I have never heard about anyone ever using one of these (except some mall competitions where they where granted a large fake check (but I think even in these cases the money was transferred directly). I honostly do not understand why they are used in these online times :S Can anyone explain?

Edit: Never mind.. reading on it now.. Rarely used in Europe, but very much used in the US mostly because it saves the payer (employer) money...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 01:51:22 PM by TheNorwegianGuy »

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #229 on: August 06, 2014, 01:53:21 PM »
Same as the Norwegian guy, I am honestly curious.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #230 on: August 06, 2014, 02:03:25 PM »
Mustachian problem #582

I have never held a check in my hands my whole life and in fact I have never heard about anyone ever using one of these (except some mall competitions where they where granted a large fake check (but I think even in these cases the money was transferred directly). I honostly do not understand why they are used in these online times :S Can anyone explain?

Edit: Never mind.. reading on it now.. Rarely used in Europe, but very much used in the US mostly because it saves the payer (employer) money...

Banks charge money to do direct deposit.   Far more than it costs to simply hand out checks.  That's why my company doesn't do DD, they refuse to pay the extra money.   I have never had a job with DD.  I do know people who get DD though.

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #231 on: August 06, 2014, 02:03:55 PM »
We don't qualify for any tax deductions (like mortgage interest - mortgate? What mortgage?) or tax credits (income too high for the child tax credit).

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #232 on: August 06, 2014, 02:44:37 PM »
When I pull out my super-expensive wine glasses I tell my friends "look, the rule here is that if one of these break, we laugh about it and throw it out, there is to be NO talk of replacing it" because honestly, I no longer give a shit and it's just damn funny that I have these at all given that they now retail for $550/stem. Only one of my friends has any idea about how much they cost because he is a glassware freak himself and he identified their maker, I didn't tell him.

It doesn't have to be a complete waste. I give broken glassware and plates to a mosaic artist in my family.
------------------------------------------------------------------

+1 to gimp's post about ads affecting you even if you don't shop.

Here's The Last Psychiatrist article you mentioned: http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2008/08/if_youre_watching_its_for_you.html

An interesting point:
"About twenty years ago I learned the marketing law that young people have all the disposable income-- because older people were saving-- and they spend the most, and you have to go after them.  I don't believe that's true anymore.  Hell, the fact that it was true 20 years ago means that those young people are older.  They're still the consumerists they once were."

------------------------------------------------

MUSTACHIAN PROBLEM
 -- Remembering to be patient with people who know to save money but do not and instead gripe about their "needs" and how the world is against them.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 03:04:16 PM by C. K. »

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #233 on: August 06, 2014, 05:10:19 PM »
I reserved an economy rental car for a (long drive) business trip.

When I went to pick up the car, all they had was an SUV so they "did me a favor" and I "got upgraded like 3 levels" to the SUV for free.

All I can think about is the 8 extra galloons of gas this beast will waste versus the nice 40mpg economy I wanted.  It also drove like a tank. I feel like I was supposed to be appreciative of the extra headroom or whatever it is that people casually rent SUVs for in the middle of a week in the summer.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #234 on: August 06, 2014, 05:53:55 PM »
This Last Psychiatrist blog is blowing my mind.  Thanks, y'all.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #235 on: August 06, 2014, 06:11:34 PM »
Today I brought my non Mustacian F250 to the body shop for repairs.   My insurance provided a rental car.  When getting the rental I had the option of a full size car, SUV or truck.  I told them a compact. I got a strange look.  I took a Nissan Versa sedan.  On the way home I logged 45.1 mpg.   I may never go back to the F250.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #236 on: August 06, 2014, 08:59:44 PM »

When I went to pick up the car, all they had was an SUV so they "did me a favor" and I "got upgraded like 3 levels" to the SUV for free.

All I can think about is the 8 extra galloons of gas this beast will waste versus the nice 40mpg economy I wanted.  It also drove like a tank. I feel like I was supposed to be appreciative of the extra headroom or whatever it is that people casually rent SUVs for in the middle of a week in the summer.

I drive a small car and love the handling. Whenever I travel for work, I always request a small car. They always try to upgrade me and I reject it. They look at me puzzled.

I can't stand driving those huge behemoths! I can't park those things. One time my mechanic gave me a huge pickup truck loaner. I was so nervous parking that thing. It took about 10 cuts to get me into a parking spot. Never again!!!

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #237 on: August 06, 2014, 10:15:32 PM »
New Nissan Versa Sedans are the only cheap car I ever enjoyed driving. I've driven a dozen at least through various rentals for work. The only one that was any good was the versa sedan. It corners like a pro, has a responsive throttle, great gas mileage, and climbs mountains without hitting 4500 RPM. Granted, it's gonna suck to have an accident in that.

All the hondas and toyotas people love recommending... are great in terms of total cost of ownership. Terrible in terms of handling. Drive like shit. Yes, that includes your fit, prius, and so on. Yeah, the nissan hatchback might be the worst car I've driven. The leaf is a joke. The volt is an expensive piece of shit. The tiny little versa, with its 110 HP engine, beats them hands down in terms of fun and responsiveness and cornering and balance and all that fun stuff.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #238 on: August 07, 2014, 06:26:29 AM »
Mustachian problem #582

Banks charge money to do direct deposit.   Far more than it costs to simply hand out checks.  That's why my company doesn't do DD, they refuse to pay the extra money.   I have never had a job with DD.  I do know people who get DD though.

It costs nothing to do DD for our clients.  They choose paper checks for the extra days of keeping their money.  DD money has to be pulled from employers bank account 3-4 days before payday.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #239 on: August 07, 2014, 07:53:20 AM »

Coworker of mine was in vacation in Hawaii.  He had reserved a Jeep (nine months in advance) rental for the week, and part of why he wanted the Jeep was because he was going to be transporting two 12' surfboards.  They "ran out" of Jeeps, and gave him an eight-cylinder Mustang convertible as a "free upgrade".  He still managed to get the surfboards to the beach, but he said he "got a few looks" and the way he secured them was "probably illegal".  He was pretty frustrated, despite enjoying driving the "cool car" that he didn't ask for. 

I feel like this shit happens all the time.  It can't be that hard to keep track of what cars you have on hand.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #240 on: August 07, 2014, 08:23:15 AM »
Mustachian problem #582

It costs nothing to do DD for our clients.  They choose paper checks for the extra days of keeping their money.  DD money has to be pulled from employers bank account 3-4 days before payday.

Maybe it's a bank specific thing? I think my employer uses 5/3 bank.

Why does DD money have to be pulled 3-4 days early?  How is pulling it on payday and initiating transfer to my account any different from them giving me a check which I immediately deposit?

TheNorwegianGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #241 on: August 07, 2014, 08:29:54 AM »
I suddenly remembered I haven't checked my mail (you know the old kind of mail) for two weeks! :o I had to walk out in the rain and check it - no mail, no bills, no commercial, nothing... Oh well, ill check it again in a couple of weeks...

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #242 on: August 07, 2014, 09:21:03 AM »
Mustachian problem #582

Why does DD money have to be pulled 3-4 days early?  How is pulling it on payday and initiating transfer to my account any different from them giving me a check which I immediately deposit?

It's run through a 3rd party software provider.  They pull the money far enough in advance to confirm it's in there account before sending out. 

The only difference is that like is previously noted, some people don't cash there checks right away.  Some wait weeks most wait a few days. 

Example...  Employer issues paper check and delivers it to employee on Friday.  Employee makes it to bank after hours on Friday and deposits said check at ATM.  Check likely won't clear employers bank till Tuesday. 

Or...  Employer does direct deposit for Friday payday.  Money is pulled from account on Tuesday EOB/Wednesday morning.  Deposited in employee account on Friday. 

It's almost an extra week on average that the employer gets to hang on to the money.  For a small business with tight cash flow it makes a huge difference. 

This is all ridiculous but it's just the way it is. 

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #243 on: August 07, 2014, 09:34:49 AM »
In germany its illegal in most cases to not use bank transfer for employee payment.
Germanys biggest b2b-online-shop does not accept cheques.
I have never used one. Or seen a private cheque. Just once a company one.

----

Mustachian problem: I cant thing of anything that I wanted to buy today. Except books, but they don't count, I could always buy books (1 of 2 soft spots), but since I would need another bookshelf, I am too "cheap" to let that happen. Havent got the room for even more books anyway.
If you have a sweet spot for books, too, then this page is your pr0n: http://bookshelfporn.com/

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #244 on: August 07, 2014, 09:55:02 AM »

Coworker of mine was in vacation in Hawaii.  He had reserved a Jeep (nine months in advance) rental for the week, and part of why he wanted the Jeep was because he was going to be transporting two 12' surfboards.  They "ran out" of Jeeps, and gave him an eight-cylinder Mustang convertible as a "free upgrade".  He still managed to get the surfboards to the beach, but he said he "got a few looks" and the way he secured them was "probably illegal".  He was pretty frustrated, despite enjoying driving the "cool car" that he didn't ask for. 

I feel like this shit happens all the time.  It can't be that hard to keep track of what cars you have on hand.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #245 on: August 07, 2014, 11:12:05 AM »
I forget things. I opened a Chase checking account to get a $150 incentive and then forgot about the money sitting there... I walk everywhere and the one time I had to drive to work, I forgot my freaking car on the way back...

Ok, that is funny. "Ooops, I forgot my car!" LOL

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #246 on: August 07, 2014, 11:20:19 AM »
Stocks are on sale (DJIA at 200-day ma again) and it'll take 3 business days to transfer money from one bank to the bank that has my after-tax brokerage account. Grr. Somehow, it's faster to write a check from one checking to the other. Weird.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #247 on: August 07, 2014, 12:19:13 PM »
Mustachian problem #582

It's run through a 3rd party software provider.  They pull the money far enough in advance to confirm it's in there account before sending out. 

The only difference is that like is previously noted, some people don't cash there checks right away.  Some wait weeks most wait a few days. 

Example...  Employer issues paper check and delivers it to employee on Friday.  Employee makes it to bank after hours on Friday and deposits said check at ATM.  Check likely won't clear employers bank till Tuesday. 

Or...  Employer does direct deposit for Friday payday.  Money is pulled from account on Tuesday EOB/Wednesday morning.  Deposited in employee account on Friday. 

It's almost an extra week on average that the employer gets to hang on to the money.  For a small business with tight cash flow it makes a huge difference. 

This is all ridiculous but it's just the way it is.

That's crazy.  I deposit mine at my desk with my credit unions mobile app. 

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #248 on: August 07, 2014, 02:53:30 PM »
This Last Psychiatrist blog is blowing my mind.  Thanks, y'all.

+1

snshijuptr

• Stubble
« Reply #249 on: August 07, 2014, 04:56:51 PM »
When you finally go out to a restaurant for lunch or dinner and the food sucks, you realize you blew your entire month's restaurant budget on crappy chicken and broccoli. :(

(After that my husband and I made a pact to only go to restaurants that serve food we don't cook at home. His Americanized Chinese food is WAY better than most restaurants. On the other hand gourmet burgers are really hard to do for only the 2 of us.)