Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086585 times)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #1950 on: September 23, 2015, 05:04:44 AM »

Apparently, I 'spent' well over $100 and made the 'wealthy' grandmother's gift (2 outfits the same brand as mine, but from the actual store, no extras) look so bad that she was crying in the back room. 

HA HA HA! That is hilarious! Did you explain what you had done?

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #1951 on: September 24, 2015, 09:17:57 AM »

Apparently, I 'spent' well over $100 and made the 'wealthy' grandmother's gift (2 outfits the same brand as mine, but from the actual store, no extras) look so bad that she was crying in the back room. 

Nope, the SO doesn't like people to know that I happily gift 'used' items, so I just say stuff like I got them on an end of season sale and such.  I once told a 'friend' that I shopped clearance and she was offended that I "didn't value her enough to pay full price" - ignoring that I got her a lot more stuff since it was all cheaper.  So now I just don't say how I shop for gifts, makes life easier.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1952 on: September 24, 2015, 09:25:58 AM »

Nope, the SO doesn't like people to know that I happily gift 'used' items, so I just say stuff like I got them on an end of season sale and such.  I once told a 'friend' that I shopped clearance and she was offended that I "didn't value her enough to pay full price" - ignoring that I got her a lot more stuff since it was all cheaper.  So now I just don't say how I shop for gifts, makes life easier.

I'm so disturbed by this. People are nutz.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #1953 on: September 24, 2015, 10:01:54 AM »
Jebus Christmas. I'd be mad if you didn't value me enough to get the best value for whatever you saw fit to spend. People are nuts indeed.

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #1954 on: September 24, 2015, 11:14:43 AM »
Jebus Christmas. I'd be mad if you didn't value me enough to get the best value for whatever you saw fit to spend. People are nuts indeed.

I'm the same way, I set a $$ amount and buy what I can for that price.  sometimes it is a lot (if I have time and there are good sales) and sometimes it isn't (don't care enough to shop, couldn't find a sale on something I liked).  I think everyone would rather get $75 worth of stuff then $25 worth of stuff, except for that crazy person.  I'm pretty sure I laughed in her face, and it goes without saying, she didn't stay in my life for that much longer.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1955 on: September 24, 2015, 11:27:54 AM »
I ended up with a huge supply of high quality powdered milk (Amazon accidentally sent me a case of cans of it instead of just one), and it's actually extremely convenient because I don't use milk often enough to use it up in liquid form before it goes bad. Even with powdered milk, the best before date is only a year out, and I don't know if I'll use it all before then. I would need to use about a gallon (rehydrated) a month.
Meh, I'd take a sharpie and cross out the expiration dates. Stored in a cool, dry place, it'll keep for years, especially in cans. BTW -did you actually just say you got eleven cans free due to a shipping error? Definitely an MPP.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1956 on: September 24, 2015, 06:28:55 PM »
I actually prefer manual locks and windows, one less thing to break!
Supposedly electric windows are a lot more reliable than manual ones.

The window is moved at the design speed and stops at a preditacble point -instead of a handle and gears having to cope with being banged around and wrenched up/down by gorillas

It also depends on the material used to make the window regulators. We had one fail on a previous car (VW Golf) because VW was using plastic regs, which ultimately perish. (I know, VW cutting corners, shocker.) It was winter, night-time, and my husband and I had a three hour drive home, so we layered on every piece of clothing we had.

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #1957 on: September 24, 2015, 07:13:32 PM »
Does this count?

I just got my electric bill, and I was upset sat the price.  $25.41  Ugh!  I really wanted to be under $25!  I was so close! :(

Heather in Ottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #1958 on: September 24, 2015, 09:05:53 PM »
You know that Monopoly game at MacDonald's? I will never ever win, because i doubt I eat there even once a year, let alone often enough to collect matching properties

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #1959 on: September 25, 2015, 12:04:07 AM »
Today was payday at one of my jobs and I realized with horror that I had miscalculated my pretax deferred compensation contribution and was going to contribute over the $18,000 limit to my account this year, so I went on the deferred account website to figure out how to cancel a single paycheck's contribution. I couldn't figure it out even after calling the helpline, so I asked some of my coworkers if they'd had a similar problem (needed to cancel a single contribution) and found out that I am apparently the only one in my little office who contributes to the pre-tax deferred comp plan. Or who will admit to doing so.

Guess I'm on my own for future deferred comp website challenges.

(Eventually figured it out and will hit $18,000 spot on the nose this year. Have already scheduled 2016 contributions to avoid this problem next year).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 12:06:14 AM by Urchina »

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1960 on: September 25, 2015, 05:39:53 AM »
Today was payday at one of my jobs and I realized with horror that I had miscalculated my pretax deferred compensation contribution and was going to contribute over the $18,000 limit to my account this year, so I went on the deferred account website to figure out how to cancel a single paycheck's contribution. I couldn't figure it out even after calling the helpline, so I asked some of my coworkers if they'd had a similar problem (needed to cancel a single contribution) and found out that I am apparently the only one in my little office who contributes to the pre-tax deferred comp plan. Or who will admit to doing so.

(Eventually figured it out and will hit $18,000 spot on the nose this year. Have already scheduled 2016 contributions to avoid this problem next year).
You don't have to stress about this, your payroll department will stop the contributions when they hit $18,000 automatically.

Slam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1961 on: September 25, 2015, 08:16:59 AM »
You know that Monopoly game at MacDonald's? I will never ever win, because i doubt I eat there even once a year, let alone often enough to collect matching properties

They still have the Monopoly game?  Seriously...I don't remember the last time I went to McDonald's.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1962 on: September 25, 2015, 11:58:00 AM »
You don't have to stress about this, your payroll department will stop the contributions when they hit $18,000 automatically.

If you do it under TSP, it's a real ass pain. They don't necessarily stop it, you have to fill out a form to request payback within ~3 months, and it's taxable income when they return it; if you don't, they keep your money.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1963 on: September 25, 2015, 01:31:47 PM »

They will, but depending on how backwards the system is, they hate this.  My mustachian problem is that my wife tried to request $1500/mo to be contributed but they ended up adjusting it to like $1499.02 or something dumb like that. 

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #1964 on: September 25, 2015, 01:41:24 PM »

They will, but depending on how backwards the system is, they hate this.  My mustachian problem is that my wife tried to request $1500/mo to be contributed but they ended up adjusting it to like $1499.02 or something dumb like that.

Just be aware if you are paid every two weeks, you might be getting 27 paychecks this year, not 26.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/08/us-jobs-payroll-27thpaycheck-idUSKBN0KH1XI20150108

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1965 on: September 25, 2015, 02:22:57 PM »
I don't know how other workplaces do it, but I get paid every two weeks, while benefits are taken out twice monthly.

So in months when there is a third paycheck, it's HUGE. No FSA contributions coming out, no benefits, etc. (Now, I'm a part-time librarian, so when I say "huge," I mean "over seven hundred dollars!" instead of my usual 330-360.)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1966 on: September 25, 2015, 05:02:58 PM »

Just be aware if you are paid every two weeks, you might be getting 27 paychecks this year, not 26.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/08/us-jobs-payroll-27thpaycheck-idUSKBN0KH1XI20150108

She's paid monthly

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #1967 on: September 25, 2015, 05:42:30 PM »
I'm actually paid bi-weekly, but our official payroll calendar indicates 26 pay periods this year, so that is what I've planned for. 

As far as leaving it up to payroll to make sure my contributions don't go over - um, nope. Our payroll department is byzantine at best and I don't want to deal with the headache (and penalties) that would result if the made a mistake. 

Still - I'm the only one in my office who worries about this? Really?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1968 on: September 26, 2015, 06:36:09 AM »
I don't know how other workplaces do it, but I get paid every two weeks, while benefits are taken out twice monthly.

So in months when there is a third paycheck, it's HUGE. No FSA contributions coming out, no benefits, etc. (Now, I'm a part-time librarian, so when I say "huge," I mean "over seven hundred dollars!" instead of my usual 330-360.)

Me too! October is a 3 paycheck month for me this year, and I'm shoving the entire 3rd paycheck into paying off debt. It feels so good to make that huge payment.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1969 on: September 26, 2015, 08:35:40 PM »

Last line of that article: "You can even have a whole paycheck go in and then be done contributing for the year."

Only saving 1/27 (or 1/26, depending on your employment contract) of your income for retirement? That's worse than I imagined.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1970 on: September 27, 2015, 03:23:56 AM »

Last line of that article: "You can even have a whole paycheck go in and then be done contributing for the year."

Only saving 1/27 (or 1/26, depending on your employment contract) of your income for retirement? That's worse than I imagined.

It must be nice to make $500k/year

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1971 on: September 28, 2015, 05:35:43 AM »
At the Wells Fargo ATM on the screen where you enter your pin number it gives you the option to go to your most frequently used transaction type.  Mine now reads "Make a deposit and email receipt."

I think it's your most recently used, though it could be most used. Mine shows the same as that's all I ever do as well. Plus, the most insane thing is, the teller (when I was depositing cash) looked at me and said, "Looks like you've been a Wells Fargo customer for... 25 years." I'm 25 years old.

Even better, I used to have an AAA membership that showed a "member since" date several years before I was born. Something like 20 years before I could legally drive.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1972 on: September 28, 2015, 06:57:57 AM »
At the Wells Fargo ATM on the screen where you enter your pin number it gives you the option to go to your most frequently used transaction type.  Mine now reads "Make a deposit and email receipt."

I think it's your most recently used, though it could be most used. Mine shows the same as that's all I ever do as well. Plus, the most insane thing is, the teller (when I was depositing cash) looked at me and said, "Looks like you've been a Wells Fargo customer for... 25 years." I'm 25 years old.

Even better, I used to have an AAA membership that showed a "member since" date several years before I was born. Something like 20 years before I could legally drive.

How did this occur? Ha! :)

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1973 on: September 29, 2015, 12:20:12 AM »
On a business trip to Vegas, and after work stuff and dinner is over for the day, there is nothing to do.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #1974 on: September 29, 2015, 06:45:27 AM »
On a business trip to Vegas, and after work stuff and dinner is over for the day, there is nothing to do.

Just walk around in amazement and report all the stories back to us. ;)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1975 on: September 29, 2015, 07:21:16 AM »

Definitely, this.  We went to Vegas 20 years ago and wound up hanging out at UNLV and the Public Library. 

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1976 on: September 29, 2015, 01:08:11 PM »

Definitely, this.  We went to Vegas 20 years ago and wound up hanging out at UNLV and the Public Library.

I always enjoy gym, saunas, pools.
Also walking thru all casinos and resorts on strip- especially :
Belagio, venetian, Luxor, cosmopolitan, Caesars palace (& beautiful mall attached - Roman statues and painted sky, pink and blue), palazzo. Way too extravagant and each very different.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1977 on: September 29, 2015, 01:48:06 PM »

I like to watch HGTV when I am on work trips. I don't have cable at home.

But in Vegas, I think I'd just look around and judge the extravagance.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1978 on: September 29, 2015, 03:17:15 PM »
No TVs in Vegas hotel rooms - they don't want you hanging around in your room
And no coffee machines - I had to buy one the last time I was there for a week for a trade show

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1979 on: September 29, 2015, 04:14:04 PM »
No TVs in Vegas hotel rooms - they don't want you hanging around in your room
And no coffee machines - I had to buy one the last time I was there for a week for a trade show

I've had TV in every Vegas room I've been in-
Mandalay bay, harrahs, palms, hard rock.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1980 on: September 29, 2015, 06:34:34 PM »

+1. When DH and I rented a hotel room for the weekend of our wedding, we totally spent our wedding night (we had a brunch reception and a lovely romantic dinner for just the two of us that evening) cuddling and laughing at Say Yes to the Dress. We too don't have cable (never have) and the shit on that show was unreal (and made us very grateful for our small, frugal, personable nuptials).

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1981 on: September 29, 2015, 07:06:30 PM »

Downtown las vegas is actually pretty cool. There is the weird city walk projector thing where they play songs and show weird images. My mom went nuts when they played this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JM2ghmhGk0

There is also an indoor zipline.

Anyways, an unfortunate problem I had: I had to deal with credit card fraud last week. I got hit with 1k of charges. I got it all refunded. But I hadn't been looking at my transactions because I hadn't been buying anything.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1982 on: September 29, 2015, 07:37:47 PM »
That's Fremont Street, and I agree, Vegas is pretty cool just to walk around and take in the sights / people watch.

Not very mustachian but drinks can be very cheap (by out of the home prices) in some places. I assume it's because you'll gamble more if they liquor you up.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #1983 on: September 29, 2015, 08:05:28 PM »
Just had a discussion with (non-mustachian) DH because when he complained he's broke this month, I replied "Me too" due to some sudden expenses which swiped out my liquid savings. He got mad because I can't complaint about being broke when I have thousands invested.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1984 on: September 29, 2015, 08:46:14 PM »
Just had a discussion with (non-mustachian) DH because when he complained he's broke this month, I replied "Me too" due to some sudden expenses which swiped out my liquid savings. He got mad because I can't complaint about being broke when I have thousands invested.

I had that before my husband and I were even engaged. For a while there he was only working casual shifts, we were living apart, he had a very expensive commute by car, and his income was irregular. I would often transfer him money for rent or fuel or groceries or phone credit, (he later got a full-time job and moved across the street from his office, which was the start of getting his financial house in order). But it wasn't beyond him to suggest dinner out or a movie, to which I would sometimes have to respond: "Sorry, I don't have the money this week."

He would get frustrated knowing I, as a new grad, had no debt and $10,000 in the bank. This was how I had savings, by transferring the money into my savings account and saying no when I had spent my spending money.

Our financial relationship has improved a lot since then, thank goodness.

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #1985 on: September 30, 2015, 08:40:19 AM »
Just discovered holes in the elbows of my shirt (again).

Can't decide if I should mend the holes or refashion it into a short sleeved shirt.

Problems indeed!

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #1986 on: September 30, 2015, 08:42:48 AM »

I had that before my husband and I were even engaged. For a while there he was only working casual shifts, we were living apart, he had a very expensive commute by car, and his income was irregular. I would often transfer him money for rent or fuel or groceries or phone credit, (he later got a full-time job and moved across the street from his office, which was the start of getting his financial house in order). But it wasn't beyond him to suggest dinner out or a movie, to which I would sometimes have to respond: "Sorry, I don't have the money this week."

He would get frustrated knowing I, as a new grad, had no debt and $10,000 in the bank. This was how I had savings, by transferring the money into my savings account and saying no when I had spent my spending money.

Exactly! This is something that he has difficulties to grasp. When he proposes something expensive and I reply that it's an unnecessary expense, and he tells me that I can afford it because I "have the money in the bank". Well yes dear, I have money in the bank because I don't burn it with unnecessary expenses.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1987 on: September 30, 2015, 08:54:07 AM »
I hate it when people try to equate invested assets with available cash... not that having either one implies an obligation to give it away.

Can't decide if I should mend the holes or refashion it into a short sleeved shirt.

Problems indeed!
I just keep my holey shirts, because they only get holey by being my favorites. DW and I end up having fights over how long to keep them before they get trashed.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1988 on: September 30, 2015, 08:56:10 AM »
I hate it when people try to equate invested assets with available cash... not that having either one implies an obligation to give it away.

Problems indeed!
I just keep my holey shirts, because they only get holey by being my favorites. DW and I end up having fights over how long to keep them before they get trashed.

You can always tell her you're the Pope every time you wear one :). Plus, if they are really bad, cut them and use them as rags?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1989 on: September 30, 2015, 09:15:07 AM »
You can always tell her you're the Pope every time you wear one :). Plus, if they are really bad, cut them and use them as rags?
Hahaha... sure, except she's Argentinian so they're as good as related.

I have a couple that will reach that point soon. It's always an emotionally significant event for me. :(

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1990 on: September 30, 2015, 10:00:56 AM »
Last year my company screwed up the payroll and over paid some people for about 1/2 of the year.   They recalculated the errors and decided that they would skim paychecks till the end of the year to get the money back.  People owed thousands, they had already spent the money.  There was anger and panic when our personal packet of the recalculated payroll was delivered in a meeting.  I ripped open the legal sized manilla envelope with the confidence of a $20,000 buffer in my savings account and zero debt.  My boss was sitting there trying to consol coworkers that owed 2000, 3000, 5000 or more dollars that they owed with only a few months to pay it back.
I slipped the seal on my packet and it contained a check for $600.  I had a reverse error and had been underpaid.  That didn't make those who owed any happier.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 10:02:34 AM by Bateauxdriver »

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1991 on: September 30, 2015, 11:06:52 AM »
Last year my company screwed up the payroll and over paid some people for about 1/2 of the year.   They recalculated the errors and decided that they would skim paychecks till the end of the year to get the money back.  People owed thousands, they had already spent the money.  There was anger and panic when our personal packet of the recalculated payroll was delivered in a meeting.  I ripped open the legal sized manilla envelope with the confidence of a $20,000 buffer in my savings account and zero debt.  My boss was sitting there trying to consol coworkers that owed 2000, 3000, 5000 or more dollars that they owed with only a few months to pay it back.
I slipped the seal on my packet and it contained a check for $600.  I had a reverse error and had been underpaid.  That didn't make those who owed any happier.

Wow!
Yes, I know many (most really) ppl who would panic.- live paycheck-to-paycheck, but only because are complete spendy-pants. Hard for me to hav a serious conversation with those ppl, esp because leaving that way of living behind is unimaginable. So,  financial conversations are not started by me, but frequently by them- which I guess is good reminder to be grateful to "get it". "I'm so strapped"is something I hear all the time, but if course always buying flashy new clothes, replacing iPhone, going to shows for example. Even, get this: I mention how by laptop from 2009 is basically not fixable (reviewed and confirmed by techie) and I don't need one at this point, friend goes on to Google new Apple laptops! And where I can purchase.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 11:09:54 AM by riverffashion »

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1992 on: September 30, 2015, 11:57:36 AM »

Ah, karma. Optionally, irony.
My apologies, but I found this tale quite funny, but I realize that could upset some folks.
Great that you were prepared and covered, no matter what, and even nicer that you got a $600 surprise.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #1993 on: September 30, 2015, 12:02:10 PM »

Exactly! This is something that he has difficulties to grasp. When he proposes something expensive and I reply that it's an unnecessary expense, and he tells me that I can afford it because I "have the money in the bank". Well yes dear, I have money in the bank because I don't burn it with unnecessary expenses.

I consider myself broke because I cannot fill my TFSA room while repaying 32k$/year over my mortgage principal (balance is 56k$ now, 1.75 year to go) AND shoveling 20k$/year into RRSP AND putting 5k$ toward RESP AND keeping a checking account balance over 10k$ all the time. We "save" 50% of take home salary but it's difficult to make DW understand we are very tight on money...

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1994 on: September 30, 2015, 12:10:24 PM »
Feeling that you can't afford Starbucks while earning $100K/year, saving $50K/year and having $1M in assets is the essence of mustachianism !

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1995 on: September 30, 2015, 02:23:38 PM »
Feeling that you can't afford Starbucks while earning $100K/year, saving $50K/year and having $1M in assets is the essence of mustachianism !

I'm not sure about this.  That sounds more like a caricature portrayal of Mustachianism.  Personally, I feel like I can afford Starbucks but choose not to buy it because it wouldn't make me any happier.  If I absolutely loved Starbucks, I'd have no problem buying it. 

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1996 on: October 01, 2015, 06:52:43 AM »

But in Vegas, I think I'd just look around and judge the extravagance.

I think I posted this after trying to walk around and judge the extravagance, and the other three people with me oozed cynicism (closet mustachians?) and just wanted to go back to the hotel. A couple nights later I ended up at Cirque du Soleil courtesy of a vendor and then walked the Strip and marveled at the ridulousness of it all.  I enjoyed the trip, but I can't see spending thousands of my own dollars to go there.

On the gambling side, I came out even.  But that's always the case if you don't play...

FrugalWad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Frugal Wad
« Reply #1997 on: October 01, 2015, 07:02:27 AM »
At the beginning of the month when it's time to sack what's left after paying the bills into savings or investments, and you have so much left that you're wondering ig you forgot to pay something. But nope! All the monies are yours.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1998 on: October 01, 2015, 08:24:42 AM »
Mustachian problem: when Mint doesn't work the last day of the month. Or the first day.

You mean I have to go and track all my numbers MANUALLY?

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #1999 on: October 01, 2015, 10:55:49 AM »
Mustachian problem: when Mint doesn't work the last day of the month. Or the first day.

You mean I have to go and track all my numbers MANUALLY?

Can't you just filter it to the one month or date range that you want? Most of their tools seem to do that.

I've mostly stopped using their analytic tools anyway. I just dump all the transactions into a spreadsheet that does the analysis and pivots I actually care about. Which has me thinking I should just get rid of Mint entirely, because I'm still a little nervous that they have all my passwords.