Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5087087 times)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #1850 on: September 07, 2015, 04:03:00 PM »
We had to go hiking today because yesterday we packed two sandwiches that we didn't eat.  Can't waste good cheese sandwiches.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #1851 on: September 07, 2015, 07:02:27 PM »
The side effect of buying a cargo bike: we have so many bikes in the garage that there's no room for cars at the moment.

We have 7 bikes. 5 if you don't count the kids' bikes (they're both under 5 and aren't biking any further than down the block under their own power).

1 is a freebie my husband picked up and plans to take to the bike co-op next week, but still.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1852 on: September 07, 2015, 10:04:03 PM »
I think we are wasting a lot of water and electricity, but apparently we use a lot less than average. If we don't make sure to send in usage numbers every other week or so, the water and electricity companies send us a bill where they "estimate" how much we have used. Sometimes we get a refund, but more commonly we just get billed 0 until the numbers are correct. One time we got "free" electricity for a year. I'm waiting for the refund for the house we just sold. I think we were 1000 kWh behind schedule, so there will be a nice refund.

In the new house, the water statistics are sent in once a year. Our usage was estimated and billed based on the previous owners and the average for this size of house. Just for fun, we calculated our usage for the first half year. If we keep on paying as scheduled, we'll have covered the water bil for the next 3-4 years before christmas. I called to inform a lady at the municipality, so they could choose to lower the bill or something. She asked me to repeat the numbers, and wanted to know if the house had been empty parts of the year. When I said that we just were careful about water usage, she asked us to send in the numbers so she could recalculate, and asked us to stop paying the rest of the year.

Our electricity account runs at a credit of $200-$250. We pay by direct debit, $35 a fortnight, which is their lowest plan. (Apparently no-one else has needed a lower one.) Each quarter we get a statement showing our electricity usage (in our two-person, two-bedroom apartment we use about two-thirds of the electricity of a typical one-person dwelling) and our updated account credit. Last time I requested a lower direct debit payment to reflect our actual consumption they explained that it wasn't possible and gave me a $20 account credit as an apology.

(I may have posted this before but this is the same power company that sent a letter saying our power was due to be disconnected due to non-payment. The same piece of paper showed our account to be $200+ in credit. I double-check everything they touch.)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1853 on: September 07, 2015, 11:18:36 PM »
I have a large collection of lovely bath bombs, bath melts and bubble baths that Ive received as gifts. I am very stingy with using them.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1854 on: September 08, 2015, 12:59:40 AM »
We've "lost" nearly six figures in the recent market downturn, and all I can think about is all the good deals that we are getting with our current investments/retirement savings.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1855 on: September 08, 2015, 06:38:11 AM »
I have a large collection of lovely bath bombs, bath melts and bubble baths that Ive received as gifts. I am very stingy with using them.

These sorts of gifts, also soaps and moisturizers keep me in bath products for a good long time .

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1856 on: September 08, 2015, 07:08:21 AM »
The side effect of buying a cargo bike: we have so many bikes in the garage that there's no room for cars at the moment.

We have 7 bikes. 5 if you don't count the kids' bikes (they're both under 5 and aren't biking any further than down the block under their own power).

1 is a freebie my husband picked up and plans to take to the bike co-op next week, but still.

Do you use them all frequently enough that they need to be out? We have ours on pulleys that hang above the cars. The one that get used the most are put on the ceiling between the cars- so they can come down without moving the cars.  It only takes a moment to pull a bike down.

We have 2 people and 6 bikes, but only 2 are ridden on a regular basis, so they go against the wall; the others hung up.  (We used to just wall mount the extra bikes, but now the kayaks are on the wall.)

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1857 on: September 08, 2015, 08:12:33 PM »
I bought something in an online sale recently and got two sizes for £20 each. The original price was £45. I went to the shop to return the one that didn't fit and they processed my refund as being for £45. When they got me to sign the receipt I noticed and, like a good citizen, pointed this out. I then had to stand in the shop for HALF AN HOUR while they tried to figure out what to do because the tag kept scanning at £45 and even the shop manager did not have the authorisation to change the price.

Something similar happened to me in college I returned a books and they billed me for it again instead, when I went to fix it I was there forever because they could not understand that they needed to refund me twice. By the end it was so messed up, I ended up with ~200 extra back when I totally gave up and left the store.

So here is a mustaschian problem...I have two new credit cards that I'm trying to get sign up bonuses for, one I hadn't planned on but saw on MMM forum and was a great deal so went for it too. I don't spend quite enough non-mortgage money, so I figure that I'll do a little manufactured spending, no big deal. Then I get two visa gift cards from work as a bonus, yay. Then my flight for Thanksgiving was messed up and I end up getting a refund and buying a much cheaper flight, also good, help me meet my spend.

So the problem, I have these gift cards and a giant positive balance on my credit card just hanging out because I'm trying to put everything on the cards for the bonuses. Arg, I wish it was liquid in my savings account!

Maybe I'll even out by the end of the year!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1858 on: September 08, 2015, 09:09:19 PM »
So the problem, I have these gift cards and a giant positive balance on my credit card just hanging out because I'm trying to put everything on the cards for the bonuses. Arg, I wish it was liquid in my savings account!

Maybe if you go to the bank and ask nicely they will sell you some money. ;-)  That would be a fun conversation with some poor teller. "What do you mean, you don't sell money? You're a BANK! Where else could I possibly go to buy money??"

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #1859 on: September 09, 2015, 07:24:08 AM »

Do you use them all frequently enough that they need to be out? We have ours on pulleys that hang above the cars. The one that get used the most are put on the ceiling between the cars- so they can come down without moving the cars.  It only takes a moment to pull a bike down.

We have 2 people and 6 bikes, but only 2 are ridden on a regular basis, so they go against the wall; the others hung up.  (We used to just wall mount the extra bikes, but now the kayaks are on the wall.)

Yeah, eventually we will work on this. I haven't heard of that kind of pulley but I will definitely look into it! We are kind of in a state of bike flux right now having just gotten the cargo bike but not having it set up to ride with kids yet--we bought it from a guy who didn't have kids, and he had made a custom box that doesn't have kid seats. When we get/make a new box we can take the kids on it. At that point we can retire the bike trailer or move it to infrequent use, and probably get away with 3 bikes down (his, mine, and cargo bike). We also have to decide what to do about his road bike, whether to sell or keep it. 1 bike is going to be donated to the bike co-op next week, my husband never intended to keep it, he just picked it up at someone's curb on trash day. Then one bike per kid, but they're too little to ride anywhere.

Really it just sounds funny to say we have 7 bikes in our garage and no room for cars, but it's not going to stay that way indefinitely.

ViennaBoy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1860 on: September 09, 2015, 08:05:49 AM »
We had to go hiking today because yesterday we packed two sandwiches that we didn't eat.  Can't waste good cheese sandwiches.

Brilliant! This thread regularly makes me laugh, but this "problem" takes the cake so far, I reckon.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1861 on: September 09, 2015, 08:07:46 AM »
I haven't heard of that kind of pulley but I will definitely look into it!
I don't know what brand we have, but it looks like this:
http://www.amazon.com/1-Bike-Elevation-Garage-Bicycle-Hoist/dp/B00EF3X2HG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1441807641&sr=8-2&keywords=bike+pulley+hanger

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1862 on: September 09, 2015, 10:20:21 AM »

Maybe if you go to the bank and ask nicely they will sell you some money. ;-)  That would be a fun conversation with some poor teller. "What do you mean, you don't sell money? You're a BANK! Where else could I possibly go to buy money??"

Right? It made me wonder what the threshold is for my credit card company to send me a check for the balance they owe me! :-) Maybe I should ask them!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1863 on: September 09, 2015, 10:34:36 AM »

Right? It made me wonder what the threshold is for my credit card company to send me a check for the balance they owe me! :-) Maybe I should ask them!

I got one for 13 cents from my USAA credit card.  But it had been sitting there for 4 years.
They sent it without me requesting it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 06:40:07 AM by iowajes »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1864 on: September 09, 2015, 04:40:19 PM »
Well, at least they are looking out for you.  I had a phone call once from my CC company, I had bought a bunch of Kindle books on deep sale ($1.99 each, ones I had wanted for a long time) and an hour later they phoned re possible fraud.  I told the guy I was very happy, I had just had a great sale opportunity.  I think I fried his brain a bit.  ;-)

Here's a Mustachian problem for you. I just made a large overpayment on the mortgage, and moved my emergency fund to a high-interest account, all in one day.

Now I'm on hold with Fraud Prevention.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #1865 on: September 09, 2015, 05:13:57 PM »
I accidentally got paid today. :(

I had everything except $2.27 going to retirement accounts (couldn't get the math exactly even), but I got a small raise this year and forgot to adjust things. I got a paycheck direct deposited for $30 today. Urrrrrrgh.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1866 on: September 10, 2015, 10:05:59 AM »
I walked the 2 miles to work yesterday and everyone treated me like I was in the poor house.  One coworker offered me a ride home, another asked if we only has one car (I wish), several comments about how they couldn't walk (even shorter distances), and general pity eyes.  It was frickin' weird.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1867 on: September 10, 2015, 11:47:20 AM »
I walked the 2 miles to work yesterday and everyone treated me like I was in the poor house.  One coworker offered me a ride home, another asked if we only has one car (I wish), several comments about how they couldn't walk (even shorter distances), and general pity eyes.  It was frickin' weird.

I was car-less for a year, and it is definitely eye opening. I felt judged everywhere I went (not that I care, just noticed it). It also caused me to notice how hot everything is kept in the winter. After walking a mile outside, stepping into work/stores/other peoples homes felt like stepping into a furnace. I'd often wait outside for 5-10 minutes with my jacket off to cool down before going inside.

My mustachian problem is my mortgage company only allows autopay for the standard payment. Extra payments can only be scheduled out for a month, so I have to log in every month and schedule the extra payment amount.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1868 on: September 10, 2015, 11:51:08 AM »

That's insane.  2 miles is a great distance for a walk.  It's completely mindblowing to me that we've become so lazy that a distance as short as that is viewed as alien.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1869 on: September 10, 2015, 12:04:36 PM »

That's insane.  2 miles is a great distance for a walk.  It's completely mindblowing to me that we've become so lazy that a distance as short as that is viewed as alien.

It truly is.

I have another one too.  H opened a 403b recently and is trying to divert his entire paycheck into it.  First, the 403b managing company tells us that we HAVE to pick a dollar amount per paycheck, even though there is a percentage option on their form!  Second, the payroll department tells H that he can't deposit the total dollar amount of his gross pay because there are union dues and taxes.  Sure, I get the dues, but taxes? Who are they getting to run payroll?

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1870 on: September 10, 2015, 12:14:29 PM »

It truly is.

I have another one too.  H opened a 403b recently and is trying to divert his entire paycheck into it.  First, the 403b managing company tells us that we HAVE to pick a dollar amount per paycheck, even though there is a percentage option on their form!  Second, the payroll department tells H that he can't deposit the total dollar amount of his gross pay because there are union dues and taxes.  Sure, I get the dues, but taxes? Who are they getting to run payroll?

403(b) and 401(k) contributions are still subject to FICA SS and Medicare taxes.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1871 on: September 10, 2015, 12:30:39 PM »

It truly is.

403(b) and 401(k) contributions are still subject to FICA SS and Medicare taxes.

Oh duh - I was thinking of HSA contributions (I don't have a retirement account at work). Thanks!  Dumb question - is there an easy way to estimate those taxes? Done
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 01:01:30 PM by jezebel »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1872 on: September 10, 2015, 12:51:17 PM »
Two of my co-workers walk to work - one is about a mile and one is about seven miles each way. The one who walks a mile complains that it's not really far enough to get a solid walk in. No one ever gave either of them a hard time about it, although the 14-mile-a-day guy did get a couple of questions when he told people, just because it's so odd. (Including from me - who chooses a three and a half hour per day commute!?)

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1873 on: September 10, 2015, 01:03:41 PM »

It truly is.

Oh duh - I was thinking of HSA contributions (I don't have a retirement account at work). Thanks!  Dumb question - is there an easy way to estimate those taxes? Done

Yes, they are just flat percentages of your gross pay. Social Security is 6.2% and Medicare is 1.45%.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1874 on: September 10, 2015, 01:32:34 PM »
Nah, 2 miles is just right if you are doing a longer stroll in the night, preferably around the parks. If you have a target its a great distance to bike. I certainly would not want to waste that time on my commute. Especially if I already have to get up earlier then I find comfortable (which is very individual).
That said the 7-mile-commute-guy would get a Look from me, too. But if he wants... it will certainly keep him going good even when he turns 80. My grandmother was of this sort too. Nearly every day went on a 4-5 mile walk until she had an old-age lung problem in her high 70s. Lots of others would have died the doctor said. She just wasn't able to walk more then 2 miles after that. Then 10 years later she slowly fell to bits so to speak... tough old lady.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1875 on: September 10, 2015, 01:40:42 PM »

I used to walk 2 miles each way to and from work, rain or shine or snow. It was the best part of my day. Eventually one of the people I worked with would drive to my house (she lived further away in the same direction) and walk to and from work with me. Good times.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1876 on: September 10, 2015, 02:35:04 PM »
I got pulled over for seizing a right-of-way to which I was not rightfully entitled.

The police officer seemed really skeptical. "Is this your car?" Well, yes. I guess that you do not expect a 16-year-old car with a partially detached bumper to contain a respectable-looking thirtysomething mom and her tidy, properly secured toddler, but yes, this is my car. (I got rear ended and just pocketed the insurance money instead of blowing it on a new bumper.)

And my license is clean, thank you very much. My car may appear to have been driven in a demolition derby, but it's not my fault.

Anyway, it was an honest mistake and I was contrite and let off with a warning.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1877 on: September 10, 2015, 03:21:03 PM »
Most of this year I've been working so close to home that I walk rather than cycle (I used to cycle 6.5 miles). I got on my bike yesterday to go a longer distance and realised that I am really unfit again! It feels really sudden to me so I was shocked that I found the bike ride so hard. Now I want to get fit again but have nowhere to cycle to! (I hate aimless cycling/walking - I need to be going from A to B).

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #1878 on: September 10, 2015, 06:14:47 PM »
I have to constantly teach people how to lock the doors on my 2000 Subaru Brighton - *push the button down, hold the handle up, close door*.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1879 on: September 11, 2015, 03:07:00 AM »
Most of this year I've been working so close to home that I walk rather than cycle (I used to cycle 6.5 miles). I got on my bike yesterday to go a longer distance and realised that I am really unfit again! It feels really sudden to me so I was shocked that I found the bike ride so hard. Now I want to get fit again but have nowhere to cycle to! (I hate aimless cycling/walking - I need to be going from A to B).
Haha, so me ^^
I sometimes bike for only one piece of anything I want to buy, even if i dont need it today and are going shopping the next day there anyway. I still hate it, but its better then biking without reason.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #1880 on: September 11, 2015, 04:20:17 AM »
I have to constantly teach people how to lock the doors on my 2000 Subaru Brighton - *push the button down, hold the handle up, close door*.

Whaha, so funny. I had a friend pick me up a few weeks ago and at a friends house the locks didn't work with the bleep thing (I don't even know what it's called). She didn't know what to do. I was like, can't you just use the key? She didn't even think about that. ;)

I always put down the button at other peoples cars although that's not necessary. And if I'm riding along, I just stand there waiting for them to open the door from the inside like my boyfriend does but the doors on their cars are already open. I ALWAYS forget.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1881 on: September 11, 2015, 07:11:03 AM »
2 miles would be about the max I would be willing to walk to work, though I think I would much prefer to bike that.

But I walked a mile each day at my last job. I didn't have a choice - my assigned parking lot was a mile from the building.  (I drove 12 miles to the parking lot- because of my start time and the layout of our city, I couldn't feasibly bike those.)

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #1882 on: September 11, 2015, 09:27:02 AM »

This is me, down to the mileage. =) I can't think of anywhere I want to bicycle to, and there's certainly nowhere I *have* to cycle to that's 6.5 miles away anymore. =( I have to find other ways of remaining fit.

BrandonP

• Stubble
« Reply #1883 on: September 11, 2015, 03:48:06 PM »

Wow. 2 miles isn't a huge amount.

What gets me is people who drive 0.5 mile or less for visiting, or groceries etc.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1884 on: September 12, 2015, 04:00:41 AM »
Haha, so me ^^
I sometimes bike for only one piece of anything I want to buy, even if i dont need it today and are going shopping the next day there anyway. I still hate it, but its better then biking without reason.

But the shops are even closer than my work! Such problems... *sigh...*

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1885 on: September 12, 2015, 01:32:25 PM »
I accidentally got paid today. :(

I had everything except $2.27 going to retirement accounts (couldn't get the math exactly even), but I got a small raise this year and forgot to adjust things. I got a paycheck direct deposited for $30 today. Urrrrrrgh.

I had an MPP like that this week.

I didn't realize I'd be hitting my ESPP max for the year so my last paycheck was a little larger since the company autocalculates when I've hit my limit, so I didn't contribute at all to the ESPP in the last paycheck. I had to go and readjust my personal accounting spreadsheet for this difference. A nice problem to have.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1886 on: September 12, 2015, 01:34:49 PM »

It sounds like the pity, if any, should have been reversed. I'd feel bad for anyone who couldn't walk short distances (unless they were disabled in any way that would prevent that). I'd be worried about their health.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1887 on: September 12, 2015, 07:23:08 PM »

It sounds like the pity, if any, should have been reversed. I'd feel bad for anyone who couldn't walk short distances (unless they were disabled in any way that would prevent that). I'd be worried about their health.

Agreed

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1888 on: September 12, 2015, 08:05:35 PM »
I put in an expense report this week for charges going back to may.  It was just under $2k.  Boss asked me why it took so long.  I said "I can see it in the budget, but it takes $2k for me to feel it". 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1889 on: September 12, 2015, 08:21:43 PM »
$5 Sbux peach-green tea-lemonade my husband bought me tonite while we are on a weekend vacation feels totally extravagant and special.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1890 on: September 13, 2015, 08:44:04 AM »
$5 Sbux peach-green tea-lemonade my husband bought me tonite while we are on a weekend vacation feels totally extravagant and special.

That's not a bug.  That's a feature.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1891 on: September 13, 2015, 03:52:51 PM »

What do you mean?

Two9A

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • On the long road to zero net worth
« Reply #1892 on: September 13, 2015, 04:40:18 PM »

What do you mean?
The saying comes from computing: the apocryphal story is that a bug in Office was reported to Microsoft, and they replied "that's not a bug, that's a feature": it may do something wildly unexpected, but this is how you use it for future reference.

So you can take that forward to other areas of experience: the fact that a Starbucks tea is extravagant vacation fare for you isn't a problem, it's a consequence of Mustachian conscious spending.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1893 on: September 13, 2015, 04:41:31 PM »

What do you mean?
The saying comes from computing: the apocryphal story is that a bug in Office was reported to Microsoft, and they replied "that's not a bug, that's a feature": it may do something wildly unexpected, but this is how you use it for future reference.

So you can take that forward to other areas of experience: the fact that a Starbucks tea is extravagant vacation fare for you isn't a problem, it's a consequence of Mustachian conscious spending.

Got it, Thx.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1894 on: September 13, 2015, 05:12:39 PM »

What do you mean?

Got it, Thx.

Exactly!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1895 on: September 13, 2015, 05:37:06 PM »

What do you mean?

Got it, Thx.

Exactly!

::Hat Tip:: Very clever!

Quinn

« Reply #1896 on: September 14, 2015, 03:00:19 PM »
When you are $0.06 away from getting free shipping on Amazon, and you have absolutely nothing else you want to buy.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1897 on: September 14, 2015, 04:29:40 PM »
When you are $0.06 away from getting free shipping on Amazon, and you have absolutely nothing else you want to buy.

I wish they let you pay for just $0.06 worth of shipping and make the rest of the shipping free when it hits the threshold...

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1898 on: September 14, 2015, 04:36:10 PM »
Just buy a gift card to a store you would normally go to.

artistache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1899 on: September 14, 2015, 07:02:20 PM »
I've been working for the same company for nine years in various part and full time roles. About a year ago I realized I could just be putting 100% in my 403b and live on my other income, so I did that. I maxed that out in late July, so I started "getting paid" again...and after a weekend of confusion (thought I got paid on Friday, but I didn't), I had to ask my colleague of 6 years what days we get paid on, because I apparently stopped paying attention so long ago I totally forgot.