Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086708 times)

jordanread

Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #1700 on: July 29, 2015, 05:08:31 PM »
It makes house hunting a precision business for anyone with kids in school.

My brother-in-law and two of his cousins were born within a couple weeks of each other, and all grew up within a range of a mile. They all went to different high schools because they were in different districts.

It's very strange.

My house is districted for an elementary school that is about 4.5miles away.  There are 2 other elementary school closer to my house, including 1 only 3 blocks away, but we can't go to it since it is in a different city.  We can't even petition to go there since it is also in a different county.
That would make for a nice bike ride.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1701 on: July 30, 2015, 09:15:10 AM »
I got married and changed all my bank and CC info. So I now have shiny new debit and CCs with my new name on them! I'm excited to use them, but I haven't bought anything all week!

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1702 on: July 30, 2015, 03:21:04 PM »
Damn straight I'm walking that. Unless it's rush hour, then noone's walking :)
It's funny that no one walks during rush hour.

It's the same thing in some of the NYC subway stations.  We have some deep stations with long slow elevators.  During rush hours, it's too full for people to walk.  Usually, there will be one person who either blocks the left side with their suitcase or just stand there.  And the person behind them don't ask them to move.  Then the whole left side is blocked, like a traffic jam.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1703 on: July 30, 2015, 04:02:01 PM »
Damn straight I'm walking that. Unless it's rush hour, then noone's walking :)
It's funny that no one walks during rush hour.

The roads usually slow to a crawl during rush hour, too. Everybody goes slower during rush hour.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1704 on: July 31, 2015, 02:31:08 PM »
I'm glad I don't have any of these useless gift problems. My parents give me cash for my birthday, which I lump into income into YNAB and gets used just as the rest of my cash (so you know, about 50% for expenses, and 50% for investments).

I then gift them cash for their birthdays/mother's day/father's day/christmas.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1705 on: August 02, 2015, 11:37:55 AM »
My fabric softener developed an odd rancid smell and I had to throw it out.

I didn't know fabric softener could spoil!  But the bottle was 5 or 6 years old.  Fancy organic stuff I got on discount at Big Lots.  Maybe summer heat got to it?  I haven't been using AC. I do a load of laundry every week to ten days.  I don't use fabric softener every time, when I do I only use half or less of the reccomended amount.  Two years worth of softener spoiled!  Yuck!  Oh well, I've been wanting to switch to vinegar away.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1706 on: August 02, 2015, 01:59:22 PM »
I'm glad I don't have any of these useless gift problems. My parents give me cash for my birthday, which I lump into income into YNAB and gets used just as the rest of my cash (so you know, about 50% for expenses, and 50% for investments).

How do you decide how much cash to give? That's my 'problem'!

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #1707 on: August 02, 2015, 02:40:09 PM »
^^^My problem is that my husband thinks that a gift card is a good present, and with the magnitude of gifts that his family gives that would be some pretty serious cash layout for Christmas. Finding something less expensive but more thoughtful is hard.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1708 on: August 02, 2015, 03:06:05 PM »

Haha well I'm still a grad student so I'm not expected to give very much. And honestly whatever amount I give my parents end up giving me more anyways for my birthday.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1709 on: August 02, 2015, 04:24:59 PM »
Not exactly a "people" problem, but certainly a Mustachian one.

I tried putting all my Gross paycheck information into Quicken instead of Net paycheck information.  My taxes were so high related to my other spending categories that only tax categories and housing showed up on the default pie charts.  Everything else was so small in comparison that it just got grouped as "other".

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1710 on: August 02, 2015, 04:43:00 PM »

I tried putting all my Gross paycheck information into Quicken instead of Net paycheck information.  My taxes were so high related to my other spending categories that only tax categories and housing showed up on the default pie charts.  Everything else was so small in comparison that it just got grouped as "other".

You can't exclude categories from your reports in Quicken? I've never used Quicken so I don't know.

Quinn

« Reply #1711 on: August 02, 2015, 08:48:37 PM »

Haha well I'm still a grad student so I'm not expected to give very much. And honestly whatever amount I give my parents end up giving me more anyways for my birthday.

Same! I give my parents cash for their birthdays and they give it back to me on my birthday, and the cycle repeats :) We always get nice envelopes/cards for each other though, so it's more about the cards at this point.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1712 on: August 03, 2015, 04:36:14 AM »

Same! I give my parents cash for their birthdays and they give it back to me on my birthday, and the cycle repeats :) We always get nice envelopes/cards for each other though, so it's more about the cards at this point.

Is the money you give each other from the 90s or even older? Do you both realize what is going on?

Quinn

« Reply #1713 on: August 03, 2015, 08:48:38 AM »

Is the money you give each other from the 90s or even older? Do you both realize what is going on?

Hah, it's not the same money. We've also started doing bank transfers, so eventually we will progress to Dilbert's method.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1714 on: August 03, 2015, 09:06:23 AM »

Hah, it's not the same money. We've also started doing bank transfers, so eventually we will progress to Dilbert's method.

I mean all money is fungible anyway, so you can't really say it's the same $100.

sparkshooter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1715 on: August 03, 2015, 04:18:04 PM »
My Mustachian people problem:

I didn't get to go to the baseball game I'd been looking forward to because the tickets had gone up so much in value that it was only logical to sell them.

I guess things could be worse - I've already bought new (cheap) tickets for a different game, and I still profited $95 USD after everything. 

Slam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1716 on: August 03, 2015, 08:58:07 PM »
My coworkers have started saving me their grocery bags, and I take them home for trash can liners. Now I'm drowning in them.

I have this problem but with egg cartons.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1717 on: August 03, 2015, 09:01:45 PM »
My coworkers have started saving me their grocery bags, and I take them home for trash can liners. Now I'm drowning in them.

I collect both these things for other people. It cuts down on my waste.

Last weekend my egg carton recipient said he had enough, but I still can't bring myself to throw them out. :/

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #1718 on: August 04, 2015, 03:25:29 AM »

I used to play with those as a kid. Stacked 'm up like bricks or stuck in a Shashlick stick with some paper as a "sail" :D
==========

Had some fun making a memory game-set for my son with leftover materials (printed something, pasted on hardboard and cut to size). Problem is that me sister liked the result and asked for a few sets, she wants to pay but I don't know what a reasonable amount would be :/

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1719 on: August 04, 2015, 03:48:25 AM »

I used to play with those as a kid. Stacked 'm up like bricks or stuck in a Shashlick stick with some paper as a "sail" :D
==========

Had some fun making a memory game-set for my son with leftover materials (printed something, pasted on hardboard and cut to size). Problem is that me sister liked the result and asked for a few sets, she wants to pay but I don't know what a reasonable amount would be :/

You don't necessarily have to ask for money. You could always ask for something useful to you that she's good at doing, like a couple of homecooked meals or babysitting dates.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #1721 on: August 04, 2015, 07:08:02 AM »
When I'm out biking, sometimes I will pick up returnable bottles for the 10 cent deposit. Yesterday I picked up a sierra mist can - but it wasn't empty, it was full and sealed and bulging from the heat or from being dropped, I'm not sure which. I rode home with it in my bag, in fear that each big bump would make it explode.

I let it sit outside overnight to settle down, but I am still afraid of defusing my mist bomb.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1722 on: August 04, 2015, 08:07:46 AM »

Most  grocery stores have a recycling bin for them at the front of the store.

I use them for trash bags, but occasionally there is just too much so I take them in.

frances

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1723 on: August 04, 2015, 09:17:29 AM »
When you're ready to give up some of your old clothing, you don't get to feel generous about donating it. It's so worn out that the only place it will be accepted is in the trash.

When I have unwanted clothing that's in too rough of shape to donate I make it into cleaning rags

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1724 on: August 04, 2015, 09:48:33 AM »
Phone died yesterday (splashproof is not = getting soaked by wave in saltwater proof)
But the phone was a great deal - it came with costco vouchers worth more than the cost of breaking the contract, so they paid me to take it.

I can't bring myself to buy a $100 phone retail. But being phoneless is going to inconvenience other people a lot more than me so I can't go all mustachian and wait.

Arktinkerer

• Bristles
« Reply #1725 on: August 04, 2015, 10:06:58 AM »

Multiple people with chickens around here.  They need these for the eggs.  Trade them multiple empty cartons for one full carton!

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #1726 on: August 04, 2015, 10:18:20 AM »

I use them for trash bags, but occasionally there is just too much so I take them in.

Another idea for plastic bags - if you have a dog park in your area, many of them have boxes of donated plastic bags for people to use to pick up dog poop.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1727 on: August 04, 2015, 11:47:11 AM »

I have a collection of rubber bands from buying berries. Apparently one cannot just buy berries in a plastic container, carefully put it in your bag, and unload at home without out it all falling apart. Definitely a rubber band for each container each time you go to the grocery store is essential. (being sarcastic)

I find it a waste and try to catch the cashier as they go to grab a rubber band and try to stop the madness.

I have a collection of green rubber bands at home and I feel like taking them back to the store to recycle. They are just collecting dust now.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1728 on: August 04, 2015, 12:23:45 PM »
You could see if anyone on freecycle would pick rubber bands up.

I tie-dye a lot and ALWAYS need rubber bands. It's one of those things I hate to buy.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #1729 on: August 04, 2015, 01:12:04 PM »
I know this is gonna sound really fucking weird, but I'm 37 and the last ~15 months of waking up and working my ass off to get in the driver's seat in life have produced a totally unexpected effect: I realized I really AM finally in charge of my destiny, and now I'm borderline freaking out about it.

Let me elabortte. I'm not used to actually believing I can go anywhere, do anything. I've always felt constrained by one thing or another - internal (weakness, indecision) or external (money problems, unwise commitments, etc). But after a concerted effort to change that, I've taken a position of strength, from which I can do almost anything my heart desires, and with near-mechanical precision. Then a massive wave of indecision washed over me and the overwhelming world of available options seemed like too much to handle! WTF!

Self-actualization problems... *sigh*

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1730 on: August 04, 2015, 04:37:30 PM »
Not weird. Sheena Iyengar at Columbia University calls it "choice overload" and has written a great deal about it. Google her.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1731 on: August 04, 2015, 09:47:52 PM »
Pantry cupboard is jammed with large quantities of flour, sugar, honey, wheat, oats, rice, beans (4 kinds) all in 15-25kg (30-50lb) containers. There's no room for regular stuff like canned goods.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1732 on: August 04, 2015, 10:39:22 PM »
When you're ready to give up some of your old clothing, you don't get to feel generous about donating it. It's so worn out that the only place it will be accepted is in the trash.

When I have unwanted clothing that's in too rough of shape to donate I make it into cleaning rags

I cut them apart and turn them into elaborate couture dresses.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1733 on: August 04, 2015, 10:42:32 PM »

I cut them apart and turn them into elaborate couture dresses.

Same goes for plastic bags I might add.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1734 on: August 04, 2015, 11:45:50 PM »
Do you accessorize them with superfluous green rubber bands from berry containers?

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1735 on: August 05, 2015, 06:31:11 AM »
I can't say this anywhere else, but I know I can say it here.  I love being able to pay off my credit card every month.  I've been good at keeping my credit cards at a $0 balance for a long while.  Now I'm only using my AmEx Blue Cash for everything.  I last used it for business expenses and haven't gotten my reimbursement yet, but I decided to just go ahead an pay it off and pay myself back with my expense check.   I love the freedom of being to do just that.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1736 on: August 05, 2015, 07:00:05 AM »

Taxes are by far our highest spending category.

Not weird. Sheena Iyengar at Columbia University calls it "choice overload" and has written a great deal about it. Google her.
Was she on the Colbert Report about choice paralysis? I think the example was jeans at the Gap. He, in character, flippantly said, "I don't understand the problem. Just buy 1 of each style and color."

I do remember reading a blog of a woman who came back to the United States after living for 8 years in rural China. She had a breakdown in the bread aisle of the grocery store, and ended up leaving her shopping cart and just leaving the store in tears. There were too many choices and she couldn't figure out what to do.

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #1737 on: August 05, 2015, 08:24:37 AM »
I do remember reading a blog of a woman who came back to the United States after living for 8 years in rural China. She had a breakdown in the bread aisle of the grocery store, and ended up leaving her shopping cart and just leaving the store in tears. There were too many choices and she couldn't figure out what to do.

I just buy whatever is on sale for bread.  This week I'm having 1/2 a hamburger bun with my soup at work.  Multiple people have asked me if I just forgot my lunch meat, since who would eat a bun without meat on it.  Never mind I'm actively dipping it in my soup.  Apparently, you can only use slices of bread to eat with soup, formed round circles of bread with seeds on top are not acceptable when pairing with soup. 

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1738 on: August 05, 2015, 10:07:30 AM »
Similar to the exchange of cash for gifts, my step-father gives me a Walmart gift card.  I use it to buy 3 gift cards for my nieces and nephews.  Maybe I should ask him to just buy bigger gift cards for them and put both of our names on them.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1739 on: August 05, 2015, 10:14:40 AM »
Re: choice

I had to pick up Scope and there was a points deal where an additional fluoride mouthwash would only cost me like fifty cents. But the choice was paralyzing me. Because normally I just don't think about spending money for things I wasn't going to get anyway. And then even though I think fluoride rinse is a good idea because I have bad teeth, I couldn't stand the idea of adding anything more to my routine.

Like, I'm thinking to myself, this is really a first world problem to be stressed out by something like this but on the other hand you do have to assert control over your life to keep it simple and effective.

Other mustachian problems: My nice screen at home is so big that I have a hard time lining up the subject line of the post I want to read with the "go to last post" icon all the way on the right. Not really money related, but technically only people using this forum could have it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 03:36:38 PM by sheepstache »

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #1740 on: August 05, 2015, 03:18:01 PM »
The whole choice discussion reminds me of decision fatigue. Having more freedom means you have more choices to make, which is actually tiring.

Having a routine can help avoid fatigue, since you have a script to follow rather than having to make a decision whether to do each individual thing.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 03:21:15 PM by Beaker »

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1741 on: August 05, 2015, 05:56:37 PM »
I know a MMM who was in kinda grubby work clothes just outside his rental apt.

He picked up an empty beer can, cleaning up and was going to take it later for a refund.

A cop stopped him. "Your not drinking in public are you sir?"

lol

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1742 on: August 05, 2015, 10:03:51 PM »

I just buy whatever is on sale for bread.  This week I'm having 1/2 a hamburger bun with my soup at work.  Multiple people have asked me if I just forgot my lunch meat, since who would eat a bun without meat on it.  Never mind I'm actively dipping it in my soup.  Apparently, you can only use slices of bread to eat with soup, formed round circles of bread with seeds on top are not acceptable when pairing with soup.

I'm eating soup at work and forgot my bread. I would stare longingly at your bun!

(It's ok, there is no-one at my work to see me eat my bread-less soup. They're all out buying lunch. >.< )

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #1743 on: August 15, 2015, 08:09:53 AM »

He picked up an empty beer can, cleaning up and was going to take it later for a refund.

lol

The last house I rented I was cleaning empty beer cans out of my bushes (we lived next door to 7-Eleven). I had a huge trash bag overflowing with cans. This guy in a car stops and calls me over, and tries to give me empty cans 'to help you out with a little extra money'

I had to explain to him I lived here and was just cleaning the trash out of my yard.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1744 on: August 15, 2015, 09:27:02 AM »
Mustachian married life is so egalitarian and drama-free that we indulge in anti-mustachian role play: For yard work, my husband wears his old grubby Navy ship jumpsuit (rank stuff removed) and a bandana on his head. We like to play "Lady of the house offers the gardener a cool drink and flirts shamelessly with the help."

TheRabbit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1745 on: August 15, 2015, 03:12:46 PM »
Mustachian married life is so egalitarian and drama-free that we indulge in anti-mustachian role play: For yard work, my husband wears his old grubby Navy ship jumpsuit (rank stuff removed) and a bandana on his head. We like to play "Lady of the house offers the gardener a cool drink and flirts shamelessly with the help."

Goals.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1746 on: August 15, 2015, 03:16:07 PM »

lol

A friend of ours was once informed by his neighbor that Friend's (pregnant) wife had been seen making out with the gardener. Friend says, "That was me!"

Lkxe

• Stubble
« Reply #1747 on: August 15, 2015, 05:29:42 PM »

Hey Basenji Thanks for the idea- says the help

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1748 on: August 16, 2015, 11:41:52 PM »

Slow clap.

I wish we had a garden. We have one potted tree on our balcony. I guess that does leave more time for ... other things.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1749 on: August 17, 2015, 05:41:48 AM »

lol

A friend of ours was once informed by his neighbor that Friend's (pregnant) wife had been seen making out with the gardener. Friend says, "That was me!"

That is so funny.

My husband was out in London when he was younger and he and his friend sat down on the pavement to wait for their other friend to turn up and a passer by gave him some money. He must have looked scruffy. Lol.