Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086839 times)

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #150 on: July 24, 2014, 10:43:47 AM »
My husband got the opportunity to take us out to dinner with company money and I couldn't justify the drive and thought home cooked/raised food would taste better. 

I always think it is nice outside even though everyone else is hot/cold.  People get really defensive about how they need air conditioning when I say we have only used ours once (heat index 110) this year.

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #151 on: July 24, 2014, 10:49:33 AM »
I was talking to co-workers after selling my truck and was trying to figure out a way to deposit cash into my bank account (I have USAA, on-line banking). I received $5K in a check and $2K in cash. They said why not just spend the cash. I mentioned that it would take like 8 months to spend it...they just stared at me with the deer in headlights look. That was April and I still have $900 left :).

wild wendella

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #152 on: July 24, 2014, 11:11:35 AM »
You are all awesome.  I'm only about 10% mustachian, but will add this because it made me laugh.

I have a credit card with a 5.24% api.  Every month I'm bombarded with letters from said credit card company to entice me to spend more.  The recent one sent me checks advertised to only have 1.99% interest for the first year.  The fine print shows there is a 4% fee to use these checks.  Um, math anyone?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 11:43:15 AM by wild wendella »

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #153 on: July 24, 2014, 05:58:07 PM »

I always think it is nice outside even though everyone else is hot/cold.  People get really defensive about how they need air conditioning when I say we have only used ours once (heat index 110) this year.

+1) while we do run the ac more than I would like to. (You know.... happy wife happy life). It is really annoying when every body around me is complaining about the weather. So much time and energy wasted on something you can't change

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #154 on: July 24, 2014, 07:31:40 PM »
Someone offers to gift you something and you cant think even one reason why you should want to have it.
+1 
I also have the issue of people wanting to give us gifts, and I can't think of anything we need.

Yes, and there's the issue of disposing of unwanted crap once they do give you something. I still have a big bag of Christmas shit in my closet because of this. It's too wasteful to throw it away but I resent being put to the trouble of finding a better home for it.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2014, 07:51:42 PM »
My credit card won't let me payoff expenses while they're still pending, so sometimes I have to wait.

Ooh, this!. I hate that AMEX won't let you pay in advance. I set up a payment before I left on vacation. It was scheduled to pay a week early, but for unknown reasons, it never happened. By the time I returned home, I had a nastygram from them threatening my credit score and raising my interest rate to something like 29%. To which I say "Meh, who cares?", since I make it a practice of paying it off monthly (this glitch excepted). I'm FIRE, house and cars are paid for, so what does a few points drop in score really matter? It just pisses me off that they are so nasty. I've had an AMEX for over thirty years and they don't care, they just jack up the interest rates because they can. I'd dump them except that I use it at Costco weekly. At least it's "free".

I feel sorry for people who are struggling. Really 29% for one late??? I can laugh at them but someone who's struggling is so screwed. The "punishment" certainly does not fit the "crime".

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: July 24, 2014, 07:52:25 PM »
Someone offers to gift you something and you cant think even one reason why you should want to have it.
+1 
I also have the issue of people wanting to give us gifts, and I can't think of anything we need.

Yes, and there's the issue of disposing of unwanted crap once they do give you something. I still have a big bag of Christmas shit in my closet because of this. It's too wasteful to throw it away but I resent being put to the trouble of finding a better home for it.

Yeah, I'm getting to the point of asking for no gifts. I also try to avoid taking those little trinkets given out at baby and bridal showers and weddings. I have no place for it! My family is moving more towards the "experiences" kinds of gifts.

I just moved and I realized I hate having all of these little trinkets around that I didn't ask for or buy but I feel bad giving away. Time for a decluttering!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #157 on: July 24, 2014, 08:25:54 PM »
+1 

Yeah, I'm getting to the point of asking for no gifts.

We do ask for no gifts, which is one reason I'm so very annoyed by the bag of crap!

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #158 on: July 25, 2014, 12:22:09 PM »

+1) while we do run the ac more than I would like to. (You know.... happy wife happy life). It is really annoying when every body around me is complaining about the weather. So much time and energy wasted on something you can't change

I think a lot of the complaining about weather is based on the fact that it's a great universal topic. Doesn't matter what walk of life you and a potential conversation partner come from, you can always relate to the weather.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #159 on: July 25, 2014, 03:12:37 PM »
+1 

Yeah, I'm getting to the point of asking for no gifts. I also try to avoid taking those little trinkets given out at baby and bridal showers and weddings. I have no place for it! My family is moving more towards the "experiences" kinds of gifts.

I just moved and I realized I hate having all of these little trinkets around that I didn't ask for or buy but I feel bad giving away. Time for a decluttering!

I still have a few kitchen appliances in the original packaging as gifts from my wedding 12 years ago.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #160 on: July 25, 2014, 03:56:45 PM »
I think a lot of the complaining about weather is based on the fact that it's a great universal topic. Doesn't matter what walk of life you and a potential conversation partner come from, you can always relate to the weather

Good point. However when my shirt is soaked with sweat and my tongue is hanging down around my knees please don't remind me that, "boy this heat wave is brutal." Lol I'm normally great in the heat but today kicked my ass.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #161 on: July 26, 2014, 02:15:53 AM »
+1 

I have been known to dispose of Christmas gifts via freecycle within weeks of receiving an un-needed gift.

I would never say no to being given a bottle of sparkling wine or other consumables which are a treat, though.

Sometimes I do wish we had freecycle out here. I just try to remember to take the stuff with when I'm going to a thrift store anyway. Haven't remembered yet, though, and here it is, July already...

I wish I could get folks to give consumables.

lizfish

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #162 on: July 26, 2014, 04:01:32 AM »

I can no longer see a giant house with a huge truck, giant boat, and ridiculous-sized camper out front without wondering how much the people who 'own' them owe.

Yes! And the giant house has more rooms to clean. Why would you need all that space anyway?

I actually felt a bit sorry for 'them' walking down the high street of the local 'posh' area with the expensive hairdressers, the shops devoted to ridiculous bathroom products and towels, the large electronics shops and think... "They don't know do they? If they didn't spend on all this they could give up work"

lizfish

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #163 on: July 26, 2014, 04:39:19 AM »
The weird look you get when you say you'd rather do a 30 min walk on a hot day through a lovely part of London than get on a boiling hot bus.

When people say "have you seen x advert?" And we're like "nope" 95% of the time. I'm thinking of finding the YouTube channel for the meerkat ones (UK people might know) because they actually are really funny.

When we explain why we're going on a holiday to my in laws in a beautiful part of the UK and we have to say it's because we're saving for the extension (the money is already in the bank) as it's the only thing that will make sense as to why we're not going abroad. The fact we've had glorious weather here only makes it sweeter. Mind you, the fact we'll paying cash for our building work prob doesn't make much sense either come to that. Ho hum.

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #164 on: July 26, 2014, 04:29:55 PM »
I think a lot of the complaining about weather is based on the fact that it's a great universal topic. Doesn't matter what walk of life you and a potential conversation partner come from, you can always relate to the weather

Good point. However when my shirt is soaked with sweat and my tongue is hanging down around my knees please don't remind me that, "boy this heat wave is brutal." Lol I'm normally great in the heat but today kicked my ass.

Heh, yea. I never said it was a good topic, but it sure seems to be the default around, especially around here where half the population grew up on the farm.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #165 on: July 26, 2014, 06:42:51 PM »
Thread hijack - I am guessing, from your avatar, that you are in Canada.  Of course we talk about weather, it is such a  prominent part of our lives. Especially during a certain season which is not this time of year.  Not naming it, it is the Voldemort of Canadian weather.

Heh, yea. I never said it was a good topic, but it sure seems to be the default around, especially around here where half the population grew up on the farm.

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #166 on: July 26, 2014, 07:38:11 PM »
Thread hijack - I am guessing, from your avatar, that you are in Canada.  Of course we talk about weather, it is such a  prominent part of our lives. Especially during a certain season which is not this time of year.  Not naming it, it is the Voldemort of Canadian weather.

Odd, could have sworn my location was set in my profile. Fixed.

Nevertheless, yes, I am in Canada. Specifically Saskatchewan, whose motto on our license plates even talks about the weather... "Land of Living Skies" :)

mustachianteacher

• Stubble
« Reply #167 on: July 27, 2014, 04:52:32 PM »
Because we cut cable tv and now watch netflix, our 4 year old gets upset when watching "regular" tv - when visiting relatives, for instance - and a commercial comes on and interrupts his show.  He also asks us to pause and rewind "live" shows.  He doesn't know the correct name for Mcdonalds!  It's all very funny and I can't help thinking that we might be raising a generation that will resent commercial tv advertising.

Our 9-year old still doesn't totally "get" this, which cracks us up! (She's bright, I promise, but the technical explanation went right over her head.) She feels bad for my mother-in-law because, when she watches TV, she has all those commercials.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 04:57:23 PM by msjd123 »

AlexK

• Bristles
« Reply #168 on: July 27, 2014, 05:38:07 PM »
Need to formulate a response for spendthrift friends and family who ask for "loans" after they figure out that my spending << my income.

I've got a pretty fancy one: "No"

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #169 on: July 27, 2014, 06:14:32 PM »
I save so much money, I have to use taxable accounts.

+1

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #170 on: July 27, 2014, 06:15:12 PM »
I borrow so little on my house (and have a 10 year loan), I can't use the mortgage interest deduction

MrsPotts

• Stubble
« Reply #171 on: July 27, 2014, 07:23:00 PM »
  • We didn't plan ahead and didn't soak the beans.

Oh man I hate that. 

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #172 on: July 27, 2014, 08:08:53 PM »
I have a check I keep meaning to deposit whenever I next go to the bank to withdraw cash.

I haven't needed cash in three weeks.

Shropskr

• Stubble
« Reply #173 on: July 28, 2014, 12:30:24 AM »
I'm having problems paying off my house.

I went to make an online payment for the amount in full.  Computer says "sorry your not allowed to enter an amount greater than pay off balance.  If attempting payoff print form". Ok
Look at form.  They want another $106 for a xterm fee. Like they haven't gotten enough already.  And must be wired in or money ordered.  Ugg.  To the bank. ". Sorry it's after 1:30 we can't wire, no we won't take your money and keep it and do it tomorrow either". Ugggggggg
So I made an online payment I now owe. $0.01 on my house.  And need to figure this stupid thing out before they charge me a late fee for Augusts payment.

And no I can't make August payment online like normal computer won't let me.

That's my mustastian problem.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #174 on: July 28, 2014, 10:54:52 AM »
I borrow so little on my house (and have a 10 year loan), I can't use the mortgage interest deduction

We're in the same boat. Our tax preparer suggested buying a more expensive house.

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #175 on: July 28, 2014, 05:19:09 PM »
I have nothing to talk about during tax return season because I claim all my exemptions.  I only get 50 dollars back :(

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #176 on: July 28, 2014, 07:34:32 PM »

We're in the same boat. Our tax preparer suggested buying a more expensive house.

Lol that's like buying a new car to get free oil changes for life

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #177 on: July 31, 2014, 08:31:49 AM »
I've got one... I can't wait for the first of the month so I can see the limits on amazon payments and amex serve get reset... So I can do some manufactured spending :) I've been waiting for august first to come by and its finally here. I don't think I'm this excited about even my paychecks getting deposited on time....

ShortInSeattle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #178 on: July 31, 2014, 08:45:25 AM »
We're about to pay off our mortgage and we are going to see our taxes go up because no more mortgage interest deduction...

WAH!!!!  :)

Ambition89

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #179 on: July 31, 2014, 08:59:52 AM »
Having nothing to talk about when my friends are still talking about their trouble finding ways to pay off their student loans.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #180 on: July 31, 2014, 11:38:45 AM »
My credit card won't let me payoff expenses while they're still pending, so sometimes I have to wait.

Ooh, this!. I hate that AMEX won't let you pay in advance. I set up a payment before I left on vacation. It was scheduled to pay a week early, but for unknown reasons, it never happened. By the time I returned home, I had a nastygram from them threatening my credit score and raising my interest rate to something like 29%. To which I say "Meh, who cares?", since I make it a practice of paying it off monthly (this glitch excepted). I'm FIRE, house and cars are paid for, so what does a few points drop in score really matter? It just pisses me off that they are so nasty. I've had an AMEX for over thirty years and they don't care, they just jack up the interest rates because they can. I'd dump them except that I use it at Costco weekly. At least it's "free".

I feel sorry for people who are struggling. Really 29% for one late??? I can laugh at them but someone who's struggling is so screwed. The "punishment" certainly does not fit the "crime".

For the record you can pay your amex card early, I do it all the time.  Just go to make a payment and manually change the amount to how much you want to pay.  I sometimes even pay before I make big purchases, so I have a negative balance on my card (MC allows me to do the same).  I like zero balances on my cards, even if I know it's not going to accumulate interest until next month.  I would rather zero it out and be able to relax.

I have also found amex to be very understanding and forgiving if you are a good customer.  I had something similar happen to me, although they didn't sent me a nastygram, just a late fee.  I called an explained that I scheduled the payment, as I always do since the beginning of my becoming their customer, and I don't know what happened, and they made a "one time exception" and straightened it all out for me.

I have been caught by the "residual interest" trick (this is why I pay extra to get myself to a negative balance).  This trick works like this:

Charge $10,000.01
Make payment of $10,000, leaving a 0.01 balance.
CC sees that you did not pay "in full" and so charge you interest on the entire $10,000.01 ....but they don't add that to your next balance (even though you owe it now!).
You check your balance the next month and go "oh shit! I underpaid by a single penny.  Oh well, I will just pay 1 extra penny to this months payment to balance it all out so I am at zero balance"
CC company accepts your payment and balances it all out to zero.
CC company then adds in the interest accumulated on $10,000.01 to that bill without telling you that you owed that interest.
That interest (which is added after the fact) now causes your account to not be paid "in full" (despite the fact that you just logged in and paid your balance in full)
CC then says "oh you paid your bill in full, but here is $XX.XX in interest charges you didn't pay (because we didn't add it to your total until the month is done, despite the fact that this is interest from last billing cycle)
That $xx.xx in interest now means your account was not paid in full, so they charge you interest on the entire balance you had that month even though you paid everything in full (except that interest you weren't aware of).

That cycle repeats indefinitely.  The first time it happened to me when I missed a payment (I fucked up and paid less than the full bill) I figured I just fucked up and had to pay the $7 in interest or whatever it was.   Then the cycle started, and despite me paying my balance in full for 2 months I kept getting interest added.  I finally called and was like "wtf? I pay it in full, why do I keep getting interest added every month?".  They were less than helpful and never explained their crazy ass billing scam.  I did some research and eventually figured out how the scam works.  You have to pay extra in order to get your balance down because they don't add the interest until after your bill is due, so if don't pay in full + enough to cancel out the residual interest they charge you then your balance will never drop to zero - it will constantly have last months residual interested added to keep you in the positive - which leads to you paying even more residual interest on the full balance you charge.

It's especially insidious if you use your card for a lot business purchases (how else would you rack up $10,000 on a cc?) because the balance you are paying interest on is artificially inflated because of all the large business expenses.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #181 on: July 31, 2014, 12:08:39 PM »
Oh I have a good one today.  On the first day of the month I always look up all balances on investment accounts to update my net worth on the spreadsheet.  Well, tonight I'm going camping and I won't have computer access to update on the correct date :-(

Def a mustachian people problem.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #182 on: July 31, 2014, 02:35:01 PM »
Oh I have a good one today.  On the first day of the month I always look up all balances on investment accounts to update my net worth on the spreadsheet.  Well, tonight I'm going camping and I won't have computer access to update on the correct date :-(

I update my networth on the 5th of each month. But when the 5th rolls around and I'm not near a computer, I start to get all shaky.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #183 on: July 31, 2014, 02:44:09 PM »

I had the same problem! I had to do my July 1st retirement journal entry four days early because I was leaving to go travel around Europe for a few weeks and couldn't justify the space it would take up in my backpack. That's what I get for using a dinosaur-era notebook and pen system. Now the numbers are slightly off and it's going to look weird.

I made up for it by writing a paragraph in my entry bitching about it. I might do the same tomorrow for part of my August 1st entry.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #184 on: July 31, 2014, 03:37:55 PM »

HA! Man, I hope they were kidding!

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #185 on: July 31, 2014, 04:22:32 PM »
Your portfolio is so big, on a down market day like today your net worth drops 50 grand.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #186 on: July 31, 2014, 05:06:02 PM »
Signing disclosures for our mortgage today. Got to the one about insurance and it says my max deductible can only be $1000. Wtf I wanted at least $5k deductible.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #187 on: July 31, 2014, 05:32:05 PM »
Your portfolio is so big, on a down market day like today your net worth drops 50 grand.

Hahahaha.  Now that is truly a mustachian problem.  <sad trombone>

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #188 on: July 31, 2014, 06:48:33 PM »

+1. Always funny to hear coworkers who "lost so much money on that last penny stock I got talked into" and when they say the amount I get to roll my eyes and think "I 'lose' that on a regular ho-hum day in the market"

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #189 on: July 31, 2014, 06:57:59 PM »

Haha, yes, this!  I wish I was down 50k today, because then I'd be retired already.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #190 on: July 31, 2014, 09:58:04 PM »
Here's a new one: I have saved so much money that I annoy everyone by being really outspoken all the time because, honestly, what's the worst that's going to happen?  I'll get fired and get to spend more time reading and gardening?

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #191 on: July 31, 2014, 10:29:28 PM »
The last two accounts that I tried to use mobile deposits with turned my deposits away because there is a maximum deposit limit! 

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #192 on: July 31, 2014, 11:36:07 PM »
Regarding the residual interest trap, does having your card set to auto-pay avoid this?  I end up manually paying it off twice a month anyway so the auto-pay never activates in the first place, but, just curious.

And my mustachian problem...my credit card auto-pay settings only let me choose between minimum balance and statement balance.  I want it to pay the current balance! 

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #193 on: August 01, 2014, 12:19:13 AM »
Nothing to add to conversations among friends and co-workers about the latest TV series.  Don't recognize 80% of the 'stars' populating the tabloids.
+1...and compound to that my age (28) which means I'm expected to knoew celebrity names as if they were part of my family. Crazy business haha lately my go to response has been "hey, if they dont knoe my name why should I know theirs? They aren't special!" Lol

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #194 on: August 01, 2014, 12:31:15 AM »
Amazed I actually have something new to provide:  it's been so long since I've driven my car that I had to clear a small string of spider web attached to my steering wheel this morning.

Paulie

« Reply #195 on: August 01, 2014, 01:35:03 AM »
I love keeping track of my daily expenses in excel, but there are so many days that I don't spend anything that there is no need to open my excel file.

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #196 on: August 01, 2014, 04:54:44 AM »
Amazed I actually have something new to provide:  it's been so long since I've driven my car that I had to clear a small string of spider web attached to my steering wheel this morning.

That's mustachian!

EarlyRetirementGuy

• Stubble
    • Early Retirement Guy
« Reply #197 on: August 01, 2014, 05:46:33 AM »
Insurance company wont provide Fire/Theft cover because the motorbike value is less than their minimum excess.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #198 on: August 01, 2014, 08:08:06 AM »
Accidentally set up direct deposit to the wrong account, one that's not linked to online banking. That was two months ago, and it looks like I may actually have to go down to the bank and change things in another month or two. :-)

gobius

• Stubble
« Reply #199 on: August 01, 2014, 02:48:28 PM »
Ads suck. That's the conversation I'm going to jump in on. Ads suck. Two reasons why. Let's assume you don't actually buy shit that the ad is selling.

Reason number one. Ads are society's window on you. If you're watching, it's for you. I may have stolen that line, but it's a good one. You remember that shitty ad, where a good-looking guy buys his good-looking wife a lexus for christmas, so they can cart around their good-looking kids? How many people are going to watch that ad and buy a lexus? A couple. Are you? No. "Problem avoided!" Not so fast. The ad didn't sell you a lexus, but it sold you a family. It sold you a haircut and clothes and accessories and a house and "the american dream"; pretty people look like this and they drive a lexus. You're not an idiot so you didn't go out and buy a lexus, but you did look at the pretty people. Your argument was "do pretty people buy lexuses for christmas?" and you accepted "this is what pretty people look like" and that ad didn't sell you a lexus, it sold you Niemen Marcus. Or, considering the forum, it sold you Marshall's. It still sold you something.

Reason number two. Even if it didn't sell you anything, because you're the smartest of the smarts, it still got everyone around you. You maybe didn't even see the ad, you probably didn't even see the ad, but everyone else did and everyone bought "this is what pretty people look like," especially because they've been buying it their whole lives with slight changes in style, and now you have to conform to that. "But I don't shop there." But whoever designs your clothes, unless you sew and tailor your own without ever looking at what anyone else is wearing, is making things in the proper style of today plus or minus five years. Maybe you don't "shop there" but I bet you wore a windbreaker in the 90s and don't today.

That's my mustachian people problems, as the OP put it. I don't watch ads and they still affect me greatly, but I don't know precisely how, and whether I mind or care, and whether it's harmful.

I liked this one.  It reminded me of "The Last Psychiatrist" (a blogger).  His/her blog is where I first read what you said about "if you're watching it, it's for you."  From what I understand it's one of his/her catch phrases.  Your analysis reminded me of that blogger too.