Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086765 times)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #1250 on: May 09, 2015, 08:14:37 PM »
I had a major internal debate yesterday over whether to buy a $4 used copy of "The Tightwad Gazette", hardbound in perfect condition. I'd gotten it from the library previously and enjoyed parts of it.

The things we fret over at times!

The answer is Yes, you should buy a hard copy of the Tightwad Gazette! I bought a copy several years ago and regularly leaf through it for inspiration and tips I forgot since last time.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1251 on: May 10, 2015, 06:33:12 AM »
^ Indeed! I will definitely enjoy leafing through it and have already found a couple items I'd forgotten completely. It was a total surprise finding it unexpectedly in an antiques store (quick decisions are not my forte).

The debate was: Do I really want to own this, or should I just keep checking it out from the library? Is there more I can learn from this item when I'm already in decent shape financially?

Ultimately, my friend bought it as an early birthday gift since I'm difficult to buy gifts for and knew I'd enjoy it :)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1252 on: May 10, 2015, 08:09:24 AM »
I had a major internal debate yesterday over whether to buy a $4 used copy of "The Tightwad Gazette", hardbound in perfect condition. I'd gotten it from the library previously and enjoyed parts of it.

The things we fret over at times!

The answer is Yes, you should buy a hard copy of the Tightwad Gazette! I bought a copy several years ago and regularly leaf through it for inspiration and tips I forgot since last time.

Absolutely agree.  Keep it in the bathroom and family members will come out with all kinds of great ideas.

In keeping with the spirit of the thread and the above discussion, I recently passed up a $1.00 copy of Justinian's Flea which I am kicking myself for not buying for the Hub.  I actually went back and looked for it but somebody smarter than I had snatched it up.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #1253 on: May 11, 2015, 01:58:36 AM »
People are always saying I 'need to' buy a new TV and if I give the answer 'but it's not broken' and 'I don't really use it a lot anyway' that only makes it worse.. People look at me like I'm crazy..
Yeah. I had an old CRT television until last year. I was moving and everyone started telling me it was a perfect time to upgrade to a new TV so I wouldn't have to move the behemoth. I had to explain that I hadn't even turned it on in many months and rather than upgrade to a new one, I was upgrading to not having a television at all.

Nice!!! :) I think this will be me if the TV breaks down or if I have to move it.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1254 on: May 11, 2015, 02:58:14 AM »
People are always saying I 'need to' buy a new TV and if I give the answer 'but it's not broken' and 'I don't really use it a lot anyway' that only makes it worse.. People look at me like I'm crazy..

I can so relate. We had a recent family bereavement, and two or three family members said to me, "Great, you can have his flat screen TV!", and I'm like 1) show some respect 2) if I wanted a new TV I would have bought a new TV.

Why do people care so much what TV I have? I don't watch it much, it works fine...

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1255 on: May 11, 2015, 07:54:16 AM »
We have a flat screen TV and free cable.  We have just never bothered to put the two together.  Much more fun to rebuild the 1990's stereo we found a t a yard sale.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1256 on: May 14, 2015, 10:06:33 PM »
Mentioned to my wife's cousin that we put 20% of my pay into my 401k, "Must be nice." Er... it is? I guess? Good thing I didn't tell her that I intend to ramp it up to max once the rest of our debt is paid off!

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #1257 on: May 15, 2015, 06:44:27 PM »
I realized/discovered last week that I can use Windows Media Center and our HD Home Run to record TV shows on my computer.  Whee!  I was so excited, and started queuing up shows... until I realized I'd never get around to watching any because we never watch TV.  I turned off the computer and got back to my book.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1258 on: May 16, 2015, 12:58:35 PM »
My company changed hsa providers. So now I have 1k in an old hsa. I don't have my signature on file with the old hsa. The old hsa says that I have to go to a bank and get a medallion stamp (not a notary) to guarantee my signature on the withdrawal paperwork.
I went to the credit union near my job but they won't do it because I'm not a member. I went to my credit union but they are too small to have a medallion. Now I have to call the old hsa to see if I can send in my signature (they said no last time). Only other option is to spend it down, but I don't have 1k worth of medical expenses. Bah!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1259 on: May 16, 2015, 04:36:21 PM »
Picked up Eggs at grocery store (used my backpack / cycling) then put eggs into fridge.  Later, I put my laptop in my backpack, to run another errand, and an "egg escapee" from the carton was lingering in the bottom and smashed all over my electronics.   argh.  Gotta bring a plastic bag next time!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #1260 on: May 16, 2015, 07:15:12 PM »
Picked up Eggs at grocery store (used my backpack / cycling) then put eggs into fridge.  Later, I put my laptop in my backpack, to run another errand, and an "egg escapee" from the carton was lingering in the bottom and smashed all over my electronics.   argh.  Gotta bring a plastic bag next time!

Ugh. Plastic bag around eggs is a safer bet, but at the very least get in the habit of opening each carton to make sure all eggs are intact and accounted for.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1261 on: May 16, 2015, 07:34:33 PM »
^ Indeed! I will definitely enjoy leafing through it and have already found a couple items I'd forgotten completely. It was a total surprise finding it unexpectedly in an antiques store (quick decisions are not my forte).

The debate was: Do I really want to own this, or should I just keep checking it out from the library? Is there more I can learn from this item when I'm already in decent shape financially?

Ultimately, my friend bought it as an early birthday gift since I'm difficult to buy gifts for and knew I'd enjoy it :)

That sounds like a best friend worth keeping!   

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1262 on: May 16, 2015, 10:55:17 PM »
Put a $500 tax refund directly to an Amazon gift card, since they add $50. The problem: now I really don't buy much on Amazon anymore. Or anywhere.

That's how they get you.  That and the free breadsticks.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1263 on: May 17, 2015, 05:35:29 AM »
When the lunchtime conversation turns to expensive vacations, new SUVs, and credit card debt, I just sit there like a lump. :)

seriously really a issue for me at work. I explain FI then i get these looks. i hear after the fact that i am "full of myself" and "think i am better then everyone"

They are probably just jealous.:)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1264 on: May 19, 2015, 11:25:10 AM »
Put a $500 tax refund directly to an Amazon gift card, since they add $50. The problem: now I really don't buy much on Amazon anymore. Or anywhere.

That's how they get you.  That and the free breadsticks.
Free breadsticks are the best!

hoosier

• Stubble
« Reply #1265 on: May 20, 2015, 08:53:33 AM »
My credit card statement now includes my credit score.  My score is 806.  My score is being drug down by having no recent non-mortgage loans.  Sigh.

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #1266 on: May 20, 2015, 10:34:01 AM »
My credit card statement now includes my credit score.  My score is 806.  My score is being drug down by having no recent non-mortgage loans.  Sigh.

Credit scores are such a silly thing. I've known a couple people who paid off car loans and lost ~20 points on their credit score as soon as the loan account closed. Seems like the credit bureaus reward credit reliance rather than actual responsibility.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1267 on: May 20, 2015, 10:56:42 AM »

Mine too! The credit score must be a new feature roll out. My credit score apparently dropped to 796 because I recently opened 2 new credit cards for the $200 sign up bonuses ($400 total), which is the best cash bonus I've found recently...what happened to the good ol' days of $250 and up cash bonuses?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 10:58:55 AM by step-in-time »

hoosier

• Stubble
« Reply #1268 on: May 20, 2015, 11:05:50 AM »

Credit scores are such a silly thing. I've known a couple people who paid off car loans and lost ~20 points on their credit score as soon as the loan account closed. Seems like the credit bureaus reward credit reliance rather than actual responsibility.

I agree.  I don't care what my credit score is.  Just find it funny that my creditworthiness is reduced by owing other people money.

When my newlywed BIL paid off his wife's student loans and car his credit score went to 0.  Now they can't get a loan for a house. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 11:07:48 AM by hoosier »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1269 on: May 20, 2015, 12:41:38 PM »
My adult daughter complains about our "exfoliating towels" -- yeah, I guess they're a little stiff from hanging on the line to dry!

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #1270 on: May 20, 2015, 01:35:33 PM »

My company has "wellness challenges" for physical, emotional, and financial wellness.  This month's challenge is to cut unhealthy costs like buying soda, fast food, and cigarettes--I wasn't sure how to participate.

I can see this one being a problem for me! Love it.
You look at it wrongly. I woudl say: Hm... i do nothing of this - so I have already won! Where is my price, boss?

Yep!  I ended up saying I was doing the challenge by turning over my two rental properties this month and planning to do all the cleaning and fix ups myself.  The expense of paying someone else to do it would be "unhealthy" right?  ;)

I had a similar wellness challenge this month.. wellness bingo.  I already met the criteria for 2 different bingo's with my normal activities!

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #1271 on: May 20, 2015, 02:06:39 PM »
My coworkers are talking about how awesome it was to refinance their houses for another 30 year term and pull out the current equity in cash. I paid off my mortgage 20 years early, so I have nothing to contribute to the conversation.

I was paying off my mortgage early (was on a 15 year at 4.5%), I did a cash out refi after getting married to pay off my wife's grad school debt, and went down to a 2.85%.  I almost wish I had gone for a 30 year, and put a bunch more money into investments.. (note, right now we're both maxing out our Roth's and I'm throwing 20% at my 401k)

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1272 on: May 20, 2015, 05:42:26 PM »
Related to the wellness challenge posts, our company has a rewards program for car pooling and alternative transportation methods (Bike, bus, etc.).  They give points for using these transportation alternatives and track driving miles saved.  All well and good. 

But, I work from home.  My "commute" is about a 15 foot walk (in slippers).  When I tried to enter my data, they did not know what to do with it.  The program is intended to reduce commuting miles but the ultimate reduction, eliminating my commute entirely, does not count.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #1273 on: May 21, 2015, 02:47:20 PM »
I'm looking into getting a new credit card for travel/cash-back rewards. While exploring the possibilities, and getting all excited about sign-up bonuses, I've realized that I don't even spend the minimum $1000 over 3 months for most sign-up bonuses...

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1274 on: May 23, 2015, 12:57:29 PM »
I just changed credit cards - I had a low-interest annual fee one - I pay off the card in full, so why have an annual fee?  I called and changed cards - got a fancy card (high rewards for Canada) with a minimum income requirement, for free (one year no fee, then a whopping fee, but a year from now I will just change cards again).

It feels good to get something that is sort of a deal here in Canada, all the real goodies for CCs seem to be in the U.S.

Anyway, you may be able to find a good card with no minimum purchases needed, my fancy one doesn't require a minimum spend.  I suppose the CC thinking on mine is that a decent income => high spending.

(Oh, and no face punches for the previous card, it was better for me while I was getting the balance down, but now that I am consistently at zero it was time to change).

I'm looking into getting a new credit card for travel/cash-back rewards. While exploring the possibilities, and getting all excited about sign-up bonuses, I've realized that I don't even spend the minimum $1000 over 3 months for most sign-up bonuses...

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1275 on: May 25, 2015, 09:22:27 AM »
5% run-up in net worth of last few months = entire mortgage remaining. 
the only thing stopping me is that I'd have to take it out of taxable (1/3 of  net worth).

the Mustachian People Problem? 
       The agonzing over the temptation and my indecision. 
       Also the foreknowledge that if/when NW goes down by that%, I'll be irritated with my former self.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1276 on: May 25, 2015, 09:29:37 AM »
Trying to decide whether to sell some of my vast wealth to buy some other form of investment that might increase my vast wealth even more.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1277 on: May 25, 2015, 09:31:26 AM »
Deciding whether working another year in my 30's is worth it or not since I don't actually need the money. Is my job enjoyable enough in its own right to merit my time? Should I even go to those boring meetings anymore or just keep working on the stuff I want to. Such hard choices.

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #1278 on: May 26, 2015, 03:35:34 PM »
Your parents insisting on paying you some money back for a weekend trip that you bought for them, because you spent such a lot of money...

They are quite frugal and pretty well off, however compared to their pension, I consider myself filthy rich. The money I spent on the gift is not even 20% of what I dump into my mortgage on a monthly basis, in addition to the regular payments. I felt quite embarassed and found it hard to accept it, but also do not want to disclose how "well off" I am. I graciously declined it, joking that that is not how it works with gifts, that I give the gift and it stays given.

Parents love giving you a little extra, that does not stop when you are all grown up. But I want to turn this around and start pampering them, but how do you do that without disclosing you have more money coming in than they do?

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1279 on: May 26, 2015, 03:56:16 PM »
My adult daughter complains about our "exfoliating towels" -- yeah, I guess they're a little stiff from hanging on the line to dry!
Ha!  I would complain too!  In order to combat the stiffness problem, I put a bit of white vinegar in the wash and give the towels a quick shake before I hang them to dry. 

My husband complains about his stiff jeans so much that I've had to dry them.  Luckily a small load of two pairs of jeans dries quickly. 

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1280 on: May 26, 2015, 04:06:47 PM »
When the daily swing on your taxable investment account (having filled all the tax free options) is large than the amount you were going to contribute

- and knowing you shouldn't time the marker but ......

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1281 on: May 26, 2015, 04:20:00 PM »
Ha!  I would complain too!  In order to combat the stiffness problem, I put a bit of white vinegar in the wash and give the towels a quick shake before I hang them to dry. 

My husband complains about his stiff jeans so much that I've had to dry them.  Luckily a small load of two pairs of jeans dries quickly.

Roll them tightly, set them on the bed, and sit in them a couple of times. Gets the stiffness out of jeans.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #1282 on: May 27, 2015, 09:25:43 AM »
I have two:

At a family dinner, a relative 'encouraged' me to pay off my student loans. When I responded that I get a higher return in my investments than I pay in interest on my loans, I was met with blank stares.

My 12 year old, 92,000 mile car went into the shop for a timing belt replacement. At ~$2k, it wasn't a cheap repair. The repair rep seemed confused that I would pay for the repair rather than get a new car. "At some point, you're going to have to come to the decision that it's not worth dropping more money into this car." Timing belts are supposed to be good for 10 years. Um, no thanks. I'll keep driving my low (for its age) mileage car. Maybe I'll consider replacing it when the timing belt needs to be replaced again. In another 12 years.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1283 on: May 27, 2015, 09:53:26 AM »
My 12 year old, 92,000 mile car went into the shop for a timing belt replacement. At ~$2k, it wasn't a cheap repair. The repair rep seemed confused that I would pay for the repair rather than get a new car. "At some point, you're going to have to come to the decision that it's not worth dropping more money into this car." Timing belts are supposed to be good for 10 years. Um, no thanks. I'll keep driving my low (for its age) mileage car. Maybe I'll consider replacing it when the timing belt needs to be replaced again. In another 12 years.

+1 Family keeps asking when I'll get a new car (also 12 years old and will soon hit 92,000 miles). No time soon :)

Also weighing whether to drop collision insurance coverage now that the replacement value is around $6.5k. Cost is $88/yr with a $500 deductible, and would only be useful if I was the at-fault driver or the at-fault driver has no insurance. Insurance guy advised once I reach 250k miles or the replacement value is 'nominal'. Decisions, decisions!

Arktinkerer

• Bristles
« Reply #1284 on: May 27, 2015, 10:23:34 AM »
Also weighing whether to drop collision insurance coverage now that the replacement value is around $6.5k. Cost is $88/yr with a $500 deductible, and would only be useful if I was the at-fault driver or the at-fault driver has no insurance. Insurance guy advised once I reach 250k miles or the replacement value is 'nominal'. Decisions, decisions!

Dang man!  Where do you get your insurance?!  Ours costs way more than that and I've shopped around every year for the last several years. 

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1285 on: May 27, 2015, 10:40:30 AM »

Dang man!  Where do you get your insurance?!  Ours costs way more than that and I've shopped around every year for the last several years.

So $88/yr is only the collision coverage portion...the remaining insurance coverage (PIP, bodily injury, property damage, etc) adds up to $638/yr.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1286 on: May 27, 2015, 11:30:51 AM »
Wow, low mileage!  I have a 2010 and it is at about 185,000 km (about 115,000 miles). If it is mechanically sound and the body is in good shape, and it meets your needs, why change?

+1 Family keeps asking when I'll get a new car (also 12 years old and will soon hit 92,000 miles). No time soon :)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1287 on: May 27, 2015, 11:39:39 AM »
Wow, low mileage!  I have a 2010 and it is at about 185,000 km (about 115,000 miles). If it is mechanically sound and the body is in good shape, and it meets your needs, why change?

yeah. got a 2006 with 91k on it. it's a coupe though, so it may need to grow a coupe-le of doors in the next few years.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1288 on: May 27, 2015, 03:52:05 PM »
I understand - I traded in what would have otherwise been a keeper because it was a sedan, and I needed the hatchback.  Even though I actually drive a lot in retirement (country living does that) I am still putting on way less mileage than when I was working.  This one should do another 5 years easy (or more).

yeah. got a 2006 with 91k on it. it's a coupe though, so it may need to grow a coupe-le of doors in the next few years.

MrsMadHobo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1289 on: May 29, 2015, 08:49:41 AM »
My husband and I have no issue writing a $5k check for a high risk investment in a startup company, but have been agonizing over buying a $300 kayak.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1290 on: May 29, 2015, 09:02:30 AM »
My husband and I have no issue writing a $5k check for a high risk investment in a startup company, but have been agonizing over buying a $300 kayak.

Is it a used one? Because otherwise, I'd think most $300 kayaks are junk...

But if you are getting a deal on a nice kayak- do it!  Kayaking is awesome.

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #1291 on: May 29, 2015, 07:23:26 PM »

I can relate.  No problem paying $20,000 for solar panels (projected break even: 5.5 years after tax incentives, sale of renewable energy credits), but we just switched from Comcast to Verizon Fios for internet and my husband wanted to pay $15/month for cable.  Set it to auto-pay and we'd blithely pay it, but that's $180/year!  I told him no, we'd just stream things or *gasp* pay $3 an episode.  And he and I both know we would never, ever pay $3 an episode because that feels so wrong. 

The smaller the item, the more I agonize over it.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1292 on: May 29, 2015, 09:49:11 PM »
Work screwed up my payroll deposit ... computers-meh......
Much panic and rushing around because they couldn't get a check printed before monday, offering to go to the bank etc.

So - no problem, just add it to next month,
But you will need the money !

I make $100K, who makes $100K and can't skip a pay check ?
Didn't want to tell them that every other pay check goes straight into Vanguard and a fair slice of the other goes into a cash account. 

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1293 on: May 29, 2015, 10:07:21 PM »
Whenever I buy something with my credit card, I just pay the bill immediately.  But whenever I return something and get a refund, I then get a credit on my cc account, and it just sits there for months and months until they finally send me a paper check for the balance :(

Thats not a very bright thing to do.

You should take maximum advantage of the interest free period, and use the excess funds for more productive purposes.

Then pay the balance on the card the day before the due date.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #1294 on: May 30, 2015, 06:06:00 AM »
Whenever I buy something with my credit card, I just pay the bill immediately.  But whenever I return something and get a refund, I then get a credit on my cc account, and it just sits there for months and months until they finally send me a paper check for the balance :(

You should take maximum advantage of the interest free period, and use the excess funds for more productive purposes.

Or set it up to auto pay. Haven't figured out how to do this with my newest cc, but my main cc pays balance in full every due date on the due date. In today's environment, the interest arbitrage is barely anything, but I'd still rather have one debit hit my checking instead of a bunch of smaller ones. Makes for easier record-keeping if nothing else.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1295 on: May 30, 2015, 06:06:05 AM »
I keep seeing this, but I am not sure it is always the best route.

My monthly expenses are not that large.  The amount that I am losing by paying off my card regularly is very small.  I regard this as simply keeping a float - people do a month's worth of float using YNAB, if I understand it correctly, so I don't see this as any different.

Now if you had $10,000 on that CC, it would be different!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1296 on: May 30, 2015, 06:17:20 AM »
The only time I ever go to the bank is to deposit cash. between fiancee and I, we seem to gather more cash than we spend by a large margin, so it's about once a month. When I do go to the bank, the teller always tries to get me to open a savings account (so I can have my money earning the same as in the checking account?) or take out a personal loan, maybe upgrade the car. But I always ask what for. Everything I've got works fine. I'm already engaged and that didn't even break the bank in the slightest. I was also reminded that I have been a customer of this bank for 20 years (I had an account through Wachovia from when I was 5 until I changed it to non custodial at 18). I also seem to qualify for every credit card ever, to the surprise of the tellers. I also don't go for anything as there's no point. If I wanted it, I'd come to them (most likely do it online) not the other way around.

Assumed to be poor with money like 99% of Americans. 1% people problems.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1297 on: May 30, 2015, 08:58:43 AM »
The only time I ever go to the bank is to deposit cash.

I went to the teller at my bank for something a few months ago and she was concerned that I had too much money in my account. That's gotta be an MPP... ;-) 

luna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1298 on: May 30, 2015, 10:42:53 AM »

Roll them tightly, set them on the bed, and sit in them a couple of times. Gets the stiffness out of jeans.

Don't wash your jeans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQXyvMSyEos

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1299 on: May 30, 2015, 01:40:03 PM »
I'm a little tired after teaching martial arts classes this morning, so I'm hanging out on the couch trying to earn some Swagbucks for filling out surveys.  The problem is that I don't qualify for any surveys because I never buy anything.  I guess this is the dark side of Mustachianism.  *sigh*