Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5087206 times)

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #1000 on: February 12, 2015, 07:19:14 AM »
I get frustrated because there isn't anything I can do with my money.

For example, I have no CC debt.  All bills are paid on the first paycheck.  I allocate part of that paycheck to savings and investments then I budget the rest to carry me over through the remainder of the month.  The second paycheck goes directly to savings and investments with it barely spending a day in my checking.  So on days that are not pay days or bill days (every 1st)  I have nothing to do except look at my interest and investment accounts.

I want to pay my bills on the 1st but my cycles are all weird. Electric bills me around a week in, school loans bill me a week and change, phone two weeks, internet one-two weeks, other utilities one week and change... life is hard.

It took me a while to set it up like this.  Its all about that due date.  My parents pay everything on the 15th because it works better for them.

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #1001 on: February 12, 2015, 07:45:45 AM »
Our old condo was like that Daisy.  After we moved they built a Whole Paychecks around the corner that would've been shorter than walking to our current mailbox.  That would've been nice for shopping their sales. 

On those with screwy due-date bills...once you get out far enough in front of them (not living paycheck to paycheck) the majority of them can be paid on whatever date you want.  Have you tried calling them and asking for a date change on billing?  Many will be cooperative.  I balance accounts on the 23rd and pay bills on the 24th, that way every thing is there by the first on the couple of bills I still pay by hand.  Most are now automated.

Which brings us to the mustachian people problem of having a lLOT of stamps still left on the roll that I bought because I did not want to make trips to the post office (of course this was back in the day before the P.O. automated buying postage online).  Maybe they'll buy them back?

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1002 on: February 12, 2015, 08:53:15 AM »
I bought new non-stick pans a couple of months ago but I still use my old pans because I don't want to mess up the new ones.
Was there anything wrong with the old pans?
Thin cheap metal that doesn't retain heat and non-stick scratched up. I can't even remember when I bought them.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1003 on: February 12, 2015, 01:56:44 PM »
I had some unexpected car repair expenses that had to go on the credit card. I'm still paying the card off in full this month, but I'm annoyed that I can't put that money into my shiny new Vanguard account.

Frugalicious

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1004 on: February 13, 2015, 07:54:35 AM »
I try to earn a little pocket change doing surveys online, but I always get disqualified because I don't know about the consumeristic stuff they are asking about.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1005 on: February 13, 2015, 08:10:57 AM »
I try to earn a little pocket change doing surveys online, but I always get disqualified because I don't know about the consumeristic stuff they are asking about.
Oh yeah, I now that.
They often ask "which brand of X do you have" and even if I have and know I disqualify because its longer then a year that I bought something.
Or they ask were I was shopping in the lat week and its mostly the same 1 or 2: groceries
Or they ask about brand images in 5 different ways - why should I say peopel if they shoudl work at Y for example? 1) its their decision 2) they would be happy to have work eve at crappy DB.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #1006 on: February 15, 2015, 01:31:38 PM »

Exactly! I just deleted my account the other day for this reason. They also ask about tv or commercials but I don't watch enough tv.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1007 on: February 17, 2015, 08:21:30 AM »
I have a small, economical apartment, so I feel particularly stupid when I have to wander around for five minutes trying to figure out where I put down my %^#ing coffee cup.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #1008 on: February 17, 2015, 10:21:45 AM »
I live a mile and a quarter from the grocery store, so after I finished shopping on Saturday with my wheeled shopper, I was so quick in the store that it wasn't worth waiting 30 minutes for the next bus, so I pulled the shopper home instead. I have a company subsidized bus pass so I rode the bus on the outbound journey.

PatStab

• Stubble
« Reply #1009 on: February 17, 2015, 10:42:11 AM »
We moved back to the country and we are not considered to have fire protection.  We live within a mile of a tiny town but it has such small mains the supply is inadequate for fire protection.  Our house insurance is now $2000 a year.  We do have city water and it runs about $40 a month.

Our car insurance is ok, but there are so many collisions with deer out here a lot of cars get messed up.  But only $1200 a year for a car and truck, full coverage, but I thought it would go down.

Trash pickup is $75 a mouth as we have a small dumpster for all the stuff we have, it went up.  We can burn some but the rest I would have to take to the dump and it would cost more to dump it.

Everything else is about the same, but the quality of life improved drastically in the spring, summer, and fall.  I will try not to be here in the winter.

We are 12 miles from the nearest grocery store so I stock up on supplies.  There is a convenience store about 6 miles away so I could get milk there and gas.

I plant a garden, can, buy all kinds of fresh produce and fruits in the summer and fall.  We do have a farmers market about 40 miles away.  East of us are amish and I understand they are starting a farmers market and meat market  If they do I may start buying from them instead of raising my own. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 10:44:43 AM by PatStab »

bye-bye Ms. FancyPants

• Stubble
« Reply #1010 on: February 23, 2015, 04:13:15 PM »
I was just playing with numbers on the CNN investment calculator (http://money.cnn.com/calculator/retirement/retirement-need/) the savings rate only goes up to 25% of annual salary.

That's just annoying :/

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1011 on: February 23, 2015, 04:21:08 PM »
I was just playing with numbers on the CNN investment calculator (http://money.cnn.com/calculator/retirement/retirement-need/) the savings rate only goes up to 25% of annual salary.

Wait you save more than 25% of your salary! That's *impossible*!

frogstomp81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1012 on: February 23, 2015, 06:38:21 PM »
No idea if he's mustachian or not, but perhaps some on here can relate.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/02/23/inspiration-nation-frozen-commute/23893555/

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1013 on: February 23, 2015, 06:51:01 PM »
I bought a little notebook to track every penny . . . . but haven't even been able to use it in five days because I have not bought anything since buying the notebook!
You bought a notebook? *Gasp*

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1014 on: February 23, 2015, 07:05:16 PM »
I like to spend free time modeling various hypothetical scenarios in my net worth calculator, but I've run out of scenarios to calculate :(

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #1015 on: February 24, 2015, 06:29:30 AM »
We moved back to the country and we are not considered to have fire protection.  We live within a mile of a tiny town but it has such small mains the supply is inadequate for fire protection.  Our house insurance is now $2000 a year.  We do have city water and it runs about $40 a month.

PatStab, we are in a similar situation, only we're 2 1/2 miles from a tiny town w/a volunteer fire dept. one direction and about 4 miles from another tiny town w/a volunteer fire dept. 

Hubs was in military so we use USAA for house insurance and ours is 1/2 of your cost.  Can you use USAA?  Perhaps you have more house than we do, but it might be worth checking to see if you can use their insurance. 

Ours may go down here in the next few years as they are laying pipe to connect one tiny town to another.  Perhaps we'll have to pay to have a fire hydrant installed near us.  I think perhaps we could go in on that cost w/three or four of our rural neighbors and then everyone would have cheaper house insurance. 

Have you talked w/your neighbors about where they are insured and compared prices? 

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1016 on: February 24, 2015, 07:11:10 AM »
My mustachian problem - I had to lie about our grocery bills to make them socially acceptable...

We were having dinner at a friends house, when our host commented that she was spending £600 a month on groceries. £600 a month!

My husband said, "what do we spend?" And I was like, "errr, about £200...". Obviously that went down like a lead balloon.

But once we left, I was like, not really! £180, but I couldn't say that!".

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1017 on: February 24, 2015, 08:08:03 AM »

Other problems with this calculator: you can't put in a retirement age less than 50, it assumes a spending level of 85% of your last income EVEN IF you're saving 25%, they assume a nominal return of 6% while you're saving, and assume you're going to purchase an annuity on the day you retire.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1018 on: February 24, 2015, 09:34:46 AM »

Other problems with this calculator: you can't put in a retirement age less than 50, it assumes a spending level of 85% of your last income EVEN IF you're saving 25%, they assume a nominal return of 6% while you're saving, and assume you're going to purchase an annuity on the day you retire.
I mean, I can sort of understand why from their consumerist view they think you can't retire before 50 or save more than 25%. But limiting your spending level in retirement to 85% of your last working year's income when you've saved 25% so far is just oxymoronic.

At least we have cFIREsim.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1019 on: February 24, 2015, 12:42:34 PM »
Many of my coworkers share stories about fighting with their spouses about money. I don't have any of these stories, so my coworkers assume my wife is boring.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1020 on: February 24, 2015, 01:00:22 PM »
Many of my coworkers share stories about fighting with their spouses about money. I don't have any of these stories, so my coworkers assume my wife is boring.

I have this issue at girls nights out.  Most of the time is spent complaining about husbands.  But I don't really have anything to complain about.  Be it money (definitely a major topic), chores, or otherwise. We're pretty much on the same page and have been for 10 years.

Maybe we are boring.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1021 on: February 24, 2015, 01:10:59 PM »

I have this issue at girls nights out.  Most of the time is spent complaining about husbands.  But I don't really have anything to complain about.  Be it money (definitely a major topic), chores, or otherwise. We're pretty much on the same page and have been for 10 years.

Maybe we are boring.
If by boring you mean you two have a harmonious marriage, then yes, you are boring! =)

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #1022 on: February 24, 2015, 09:15:46 PM »
Repeatedly turning down baby showers because we already have what we need, for under $200, from Craigslist (plus a couple of grandparent gifts).

PatStab

• Stubble
« Reply #1023 on: February 24, 2015, 09:31:39 PM »
I used to listen to coworkers who were single and couldn't keep a husband say, oh you have a nice cushion so you don't have to worry about money. 

Well I had news for them, I didn't consider my husband a cushion and we are together because we love each other.  I thought that was insulting to just look at your other half as someone for money basically.  Maybe that's why they weren't married, we are going on 47 years, thank you.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1024 on: February 25, 2015, 06:31:47 AM »

Goodness, I didn't know my husband was posting here.  Hi Sweetheart.

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
    • Fly Fishing Photo Project
« Reply #1025 on: February 25, 2015, 07:41:59 AM »
I visit my Fidelity (i.e. 401k) website so infrequently that I always forget my username and password.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1026 on: February 25, 2015, 08:22:30 AM »
I visit my Fidelity (i.e. 401k) website so infrequently that I always forget my username and password.
I use KeePass, an encrypted password database. I know the master password to this database, and the passwords to a few key online services such as Gmail, but otherwise, I know virtually none of my passwords.
This has the consequence of allowing me to generate a new strong password per website.
I also have an app on my phone that can read this database.
This database is always stored locally, never on the cloud.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1027 on: February 25, 2015, 09:47:52 AM »
I used to listen to coworkers who were single and couldn't keep a husband say, oh you have a nice cushion so you don't have to worry about money. 

Well I had news for them, I didn't consider my husband a cushion and we are together because we love each other.  I thought that was insulting to just look at your other half as someone for money basically.  Maybe that's why they weren't married, we are going on 47 years, thank you.
sorry you were insulted by your coworkers. There are always people who think the grass is greener on the other side.  I am single and I hear a lot of comments about not having to worry about finances because of [whatever].  From my perspective, having two income streams greatly reduces risk, whether it be from two working adults, or from a combination of a job and investments.  Maybe that's what they mean and they don't know a better way to say it? 

PatStab

• Stubble
« Reply #1028 on: February 25, 2015, 05:05:52 PM »
That was years ago, I worked about 30 years and then had to quit to take care of mom and DD.  As hubby said because we were careful we were able to do that, most would have never been able to.

I think that was really the only thing some of them looked at a husband for, just sad in my book.  But then I got a good one and intend to keep him.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1029 on: February 25, 2015, 05:12:39 PM »
MPP: when your car needs emergency repairs costing $2k and your fiancés grandmother dies costing $650 in emergency flights and you're sad because your savings rate is only 25% this month.

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #1030 on: February 26, 2015, 12:54:11 PM »
I can't really talk to anyone about our FIRE plans (other than my husband), or any of our financial milestones. It seems insensitive to be like "yay, our net worth is now $XX,XXX!" or "yay, we're on track to retire in 10 years!" when 99% of our friends/family/coworkers are buried in debt and don't have a dime saved. Granted, most of that debt is due to their consistently terrible financial decisions, but still.

I can talk to my parents about some of it (I text my dad when I get excited about things), but they still don't really understand the early retirement concept. They're pretty traditional in the whole retire-at-65 sense.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1031 on: February 26, 2015, 03:39:37 PM »
Yes, this place is a Godsend.  Who else is going to cheer us on when we start hanging our laundry, or cut our land-line and cell phone expenses, and and and?

My best friend is mustachian as well, without ever having read MMM, but other than her?  No-one.

I can't really talk to anyone about our FIRE plans (other than my husband), or any of our financial milestones. It seems insensitive to be like "yay, our net worth is now $XX,XXX!" or "yay, we're on track to retire in 10 years!" when 99% of our friends/family/coworkers are buried in debt and don't have a dime saved. Granted, most of that debt is due to their consistently terrible financial decisions, but still.

I can talk to my parents about some of it (I text my dad when I get excited about things), but they still don't really understand the early retirement concept. They're pretty traditional in the whole retire-at-65 sense.

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #1032 on: February 26, 2015, 07:27:12 PM »
I can't wait to make more money to shove it in the market and accelerate FIRE.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1033 on: February 28, 2015, 05:48:18 PM »
Repeatedly turning down baby showers because we already have what we need, for under $200, from Craigslist (plus a couple of grandparent gifts).

I buy coffee shop gift cards as baby shower gifts now..  Nothing like walking to the cafe with you baby and treating yourself (via gift card) to a mom's day out.   Maybe rethink the 'no, thank-you' and ask for gift cards or consumables like diapers...

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #1034 on: February 28, 2015, 06:53:42 PM »
-I generate so little garbage that I have to pop it into a cold corner of the basement so it doesn't stink before I produce a full bag.
-No-knead bread uses so little yeast that my last batch died of old age before I used it up (I'll know to keep the new jar in the fridge or freezer).
-I get to work on foot in bad weather, then my meetings are cancelled because my colleagues can't get the 4x4 up their driveway.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1035 on: February 28, 2015, 06:55:44 PM »
-I generate so little garbage that I have to pop it into a cold corner of the basement so it doesn't stink before I produce a full bag.

SO is traveling for work and I've been having this problem (always a little bit of a problem, but extra huge when it's just me). I HATE wasting bags by taking them out when they're not full, but I hate the smell even more. Currently trading frugality for sanity.

Maybe I just need to buy tiny bags and a tiny trashcan? =P

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1036 on: March 02, 2015, 11:27:48 AM »

SO is traveling for work and I've been having this problem (always a little bit of a problem, but extra huge when it's just me). I HATE wasting bags by taking them out when they're not full, but I hate the smell even more. Currently trading frugality for sanity.

We use grocery store plastic bags for our garbage, and currently use a (nicely modified) Shredded Mini-Wheat box (from Costco, so it's the extra-wide big box). They're just about the right size to be full by the time the diapers in them start stinking.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1037 on: March 02, 2015, 12:40:23 PM »

We use grocery store plastic bags for our garbage, and currently use a (nicely modified) Shredded Mini-Wheat box (from Costco, so it's the extra-wide big box). They're just about the right size to be full by the time the diapers in them start stinking.

Plastic grocery bags don't exist in my area anymore =P I used to do that though. And I don't buy cereal. Hmm. Maybe a produce bag would work?

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #1038 on: March 02, 2015, 02:59:36 PM »
Car breaks down and its really bad because it takes a few hours of my time to arrange to get it to the shop and get repaired. The cost – well…its in the budget…

Bigger problem… I have to seriously sit down and work out how much to reduce my 401k contribution by. Bonus was way bigger than expected and leaving the rate the same will put me over the 18k for the year. Set it and forget it huh??

May have to bump the wifes 401k up further…

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1039 on: March 02, 2015, 03:00:50 PM »
Too much money accumulating in checking account.  Must find place for it.

gillstone

• Bristles
« Reply #1040 on: March 06, 2015, 03:18:17 PM »
I started biking everywhere so now I need to buy fuel stabilizer for my car since it only gets driven one every few months.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1041 on: March 06, 2015, 03:28:34 PM »
What to do with all the lettuce the produce guy gave me instead of throwing it out.  We have eaten a lot of salads this week and I gave some away.  Did you know that there are people who aren't thrilled when you show up at their door with a head of lettuce and say, "I got this from the grocery store free because they were going to throw it out."

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1042 on: March 06, 2015, 04:14:59 PM »
I started biking everywhere so now I need to buy fuel stabilizer for my car since it only gets driven one every few months.

I didn't know such a thing existed. Looks like I should probably get some!

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #1043 on: March 07, 2015, 01:05:48 PM »
Feeling very decadent because I am using the dryer the next few weeks until all the pollen stops blowing around.

startbyservingothers

• Stubble
    • A Full Year
« Reply #1044 on: March 07, 2015, 07:22:04 PM »
I want to remortgage my house to take advantage of the super low interest rates, but my balance is so small no place will even consider it, and for the ones that will consider it the closing fees dwarf any potential savings so I am stuck with my 5.5% mortgage until it's paid off.  (loan balance is $42k)

I also want to remortgage my wife's house but it has the same problem (5.25% on $48 loan).

Have you looked into Home Equity Loans or Adjustable Rate Mortgages at credit unions? 

Home Equity Loans:  In recent times, 5 year term can sometimes be had close to 3%.  Even 10-15 year terms can beat your rate by over a percent.  HELs typically charge minimal closing costs.  Assuming your income supports the payment, you can finance the entire balance to the loan. 

Adjustable Rate Mortgages:  These rightfully receive a lot of criticism as many people didn't understand the risk involved with these.   Many times these offer no closing costs.  If you have a sure plan pay off in 5-10 years some of these can save a lot of money over higher rates.

Penfed sometimes runs no closing cost specials but I don't believe they are currently.   The 5/5 loan gives you 5-10 can be a years to pay at a really great rate.  (Easy to qualify for since the amortization is based on 30 years.  -  I.e. they expect you to pay the minimum and have to pay higher interest later in the loan.)  No one knows for sure what rates will do, but I always assume the worst.   I would get this planning to have paid off within 5 years, and 10 years at the most.
Penfed also tends to have good Home Equity Loan rates.  - Last I knew, anyone can join Penfed by making a donation.

- Check any local credit unions that may be running specials.

I didn't know such a thing existed. Looks like I should probably get some!

Yep,  some vehicles are more sensitive than others.  I have a 500cc corroborated motorcycle and it ran like crap after being parked for a couple months.  (I ended up putting the gas in my car which ran fine.  A bad idea, but I didn't care at the time.  - A few cents worth of stabilizer will save you a lot of work / repair bills)

Fuel stabilizer is much better deal when bought in larger quantities.  If you know someone around that has lots of toys like motorcycles, boats, etc.  you might ask to buy a small portion from them or split some.  If you are consistently leaving your car parked, and / or aren't worried about taking up the extra space, a liter bottle should last you a number of years.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 08:13:20 PM by startbyservingothers »

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #1045 on: March 07, 2015, 08:08:45 PM »
I want to remortgage my house to take advantage of the super low interest rates, but my balance is so small no place will even consider it, and for the ones that will consider it the closing fees dwarf any potential savings so I am stuck with my 5.5% mortgage until it's paid off.  (loan balance is $42k)

I also want to remortgage my wife's house but it has the same problem (5.25% on $48 loan).

I'm confused? Why don't you simply pay more per month on the principal, and in effect lower your interest rate yourself and years to payoff? I've done it on more than one house over the years, and it works out fine.

Here's my favorite mortgage calculator. Play with the different fields with changing the numbers, and see what YOU can do for yourself! Make sure you check the box to create an amortization schedule each time you want to see how easy it is.

http://bretwhissel.net/amortization/

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1046 on: March 08, 2015, 02:09:38 PM »
Most recent problem: I didn't get to buy gas when it was under $2/gal, because I didn't fill up in that time. Now I'll probably never get that opportunity again!

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1047 on: March 08, 2015, 06:49:32 PM »
Most recent problem: I didn't get to buy gas when it was under $2/gal, because I didn't fill up in that time. Now I'll probably never get that opportunity again!
Lol I would be in the same boat! However we took the pickup to haul some brush off and noticed it was at 1/4 tank. So I stopped at topped it off at 1.98

bzzzt

• Bristles
  • 5v to Lightning Bolts...
« Reply #1048 on: March 08, 2015, 07:58:37 PM »

Ditto, except $2.49/gal diesel. The truck has been on the same tank since the second week of November. I put 100 miles on it yesterday and finally broke under 1/2 tank. Warmer weather will be here soon though. Gearing up with gift cards so every tank is like 5% off.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1049 on: March 08, 2015, 08:40:34 PM »
Was too busy cooking from scratch this week and hanging laundry to get to all the books I had brought home from the library.