Author Topic: Mustachian opinions on high quality grille $600+  (Read 4743 times)

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
Mustachian opinions on high quality grille $600+
« on: June 11, 2022, 08:26:51 AM »
Hey gang.  As I am in the process of moving and just threw away my delapidated $129 charcoal grille, I thought it would be interesting to discuss this topic for a number of reasons.

In the past, I've purchased really cheap gas grilles.  We couldn't afford the more expensive grilles and couldn't fathom who in the world would pay over $500 for a grille, or why anyone would.  The cheap ones never lasted long and would rust out after a number of years.  Most recently, we have only used a charcoal grille.

What I've learned recently about higher quality grilles is that a well constructed aluminum base such as those made by Weber results in a much longer lasting grille that won't completely rust out.  Price point for these is around $5-$600 and up.  They come with a 10 year full warranty which is impressive to me.  I've basically made up my mind that I will get a Weber in the $500-$1,000 range, rather than a $3-$400 Walmart grille that likely won't last long.

I've also decided on a propane gas grille vs charcoal.  My main reasoning for this is the convenience of gas vs charcoal.

I also like that the higher quality grilles have the infrared burner for higher heat when desired.

A few questions that I'm pondering: 
1) Is a gas grille more environmentally friendly than charcoal....my gut says yes as charcoal must produce a lot of yucky stuff and propane burns cleaner?
2) Is a high quality Weber grille more Mustachian than a cheap throw away grille?
3) Not considering the initial cost of the grille itself, is the ongoing cost of grilling cheaper with propane or charcoal?

« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 08:29:04 AM by UltraStache »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Mustachian opinions on high quality grille $600+
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 08:43:11 AM »
Hmmm, what's your overall financial situation?

Grills are almost always available used on CL. Replacement parts are usually readily available if needed.

Two of our rentals came with Lynx grills, which are stupid expensive, but they're over 20 years old and still going strong. Would I buy one new? Hell, no!

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 08:45:37 AM »
I hadn't thought about checking for used.

Edit....in just a few seconds I found a "cheap" but nice and barely used stainless  4 burner grille for $100!

Edit edit....a Weber Summit Gold for $50...I think these are thousands new......crap, Dicey you might have saved me some money :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 08:52:36 AM by UltraStache »

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 08:52:28 AM »
Not only used, check damaged units for sale, or even free.
I received a good quality Vermont Castings gas grill as a gift at least twenty years ago and I've kept it going by replacing parts as needed.
People would rather buy new than fix old, so if you can fix the old you'll save a lot.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 08:59:34 AM »
ETA: I read with the screen blown up and didn't realize it was you, @UltraStache! Skip the first question. In fact, given your earning power, feel free to ignore my whole response, lol.

ETA x2: Nevermind. Happy to be of service ;-)

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022, 09:08:08 AM »
Haha the challenge now will be convincing the wife to get a used grille that needs a fair bit of work to get in "like new" condition in terms of cleaning, painting, new burner covers, grilling grate if necessary, etc.  Although likely worth it for a very very expensive top end grille that would probably still come in under the cost of an entry level Weber, right now we need simple, turn key.  We'll see.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2022, 09:37:27 AM »
Used Weber is the way to go IMO.  The shiny, cheap ones outside of Home Depot last for a season or two.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2022, 09:46:21 AM »
About 5 years back I moved into a house with an outside natural gas connection while my old grill was propane. With a bit of Craigslist searching, and patience, I ended up getting a used natural gas Weber Spirit for about $100. It still looks and works as good as the day I bought it.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2022, 10:58:04 AM »
I agree with Dicey - spend some time and find a used one. If you take a week or two, you can find a nice one that doesn't require complete and utter overhaul work.

And then once you've done that, shop for a used Big Green Egg. We have a natural gas grill, plus a BGE - and we only use the gas one when we have kids over who need to eat RIGHT NOW. :-)

lutorm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2022, 11:47:02 AM »
We bought a PitBoss pellet smoker/gas grill combo last year. If you're into smoking, as opposed to grilling, a pellet smoker is really the way to go (unless you're up in the huge, wood-fired smoker class.)

I've been smoking for a few years with a propane-heated cheap vertical smoker from HD, and it was very difficult to have it keep temperature. Basically, to make some ribs you had to sit next to it the entire day and be ready to tweak the vents or the burner. Forget about a brisket or something that needs to cook overnight. The pellet smoker keeps temperature automatically. And it's practically impossible to get a sufficiently low, constant temperature with a charcoal grill. The PitBoss is a monster though, it probably weighs 250 lb.

Before that we used a small Weber Q that I bought as a grad student. It was a big investment at that time, but we used that for 17 years or so and it's still fine, having replaced the grating and some other parts. Our neighbor uses it now, on loan.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2022, 12:03:18 PM »
2) Is a high quality Weber grille more Mustachian than a cheap throw away grille?

In my experience something like a Weber Spirit E-310 is perfect. I had a cheap grill that I hated so much that I gave it away after a couple of years. I'm on my second Weber, but the first one lasted over 10 years through two owners. Dollars/yr of year round grilling I don't think you can beat an entry level Weber gas grill. Of course feel free to buy a gently used one if you get a good deal on it.

Also, I use my gas grill way more than charcoal. I never use charcoal in the rain but I'll happily use gas.

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2022, 12:18:41 PM »
Seems like the consensus is that an entry level Weber such is indeed a good value as it will easily last 10-20 years.

The best value is therefore picking up a good used one.

I’ll keep my eyes peeled for a nice gently used Weber.

I’m also seeing that propane/natural gas is at least twice as clean as charcoal, and probably more so as charcoal burns for a long time before and after grilling while also being 2x dirtier. So probably 4x dirtier or more considering long warmup and cool down.

My new house is natural gas but not plumbed for grilling. I expect the cost of running a line for NG would take a while to recoup cost vs propane tanks. Something to think about though.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 10:03:38 AM by UltraStache »

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2022, 12:21:34 PM »
My new house is natural gas but not plumbed for grilling. I expect the cost of running a line for NG would take a while to recoup cost vs propane tanks. Something to think about though.

The other thing to think about potentially is what would happen to your natural gas in an emergency. My house has natural gas but I'm happy to keep my propane grill and a spare propane tank in case there is an earthquake.

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2022, 12:34:23 PM »
The other thing to think about potentially is what would happen to your natural gas in an emergency. My house has natural gas but I'm happy to keep my propane grill and a spare propane tank in case there is an earthquake.

We have had a few house fires here over the last couple of summers as a result of a plumbed-in natural gas BBQ being left on - because the tank never runs dry, they burned and burned until they finally caught the house on fire.

We have a 17-year-old Ducane stainless BBQ that I paid way too much for when I was young and dumb - but it is still going strong and we have replaced the burners twice in that time. Once with the cheapo generics that didn't last too long, and the second time with actual Ducane replacements...haven't had a problem since.  We recently acquired a Weber charcoal grill as well, but the gas is our go-to for quick family meals. The charcoal is for those long summer days when we want to put in a bit more time/effort.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 05:14:52 PM by ToTheMoon »

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2022, 12:57:35 PM »
Holy crap NEVER would have considered that potential downside to being plumbed into a never ending supply of gas.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2022, 04:01:00 PM »
We bought a dual grill last year - it has a propane side (which I like in case of power outage), a charcoal side, and a smoker. We like it.

NorthernFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2022, 08:37:01 AM »
A used Weber is the way to go. They last a long time with proper care. My current used Weber I picked up at a moving sale, 2 tanks propane, all tools, cover, etc. $50. 10 years later it's still going strong but I will have to get new grates soon. The Weber before that was about 15 years old and I only passed it on because it was too small.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2022, 09:35:59 AM »
I have a green egg which we love.  It's pretty much indestructible and will probably outlast me.  It's expensive but you did say 600+. 

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2022, 09:59:44 AM »
I think this belongs in the Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy.

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2022, 10:06:48 AM »

The thread quickly steered towards finding a good used Weber for next to nothing that will last 10-20 years.  Can you explain your thought process?  Even a new one doesn't seem Antimustachian compared to junk grilles in a landfill every few years.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2022, 10:26:20 AM »

The thread quickly steered towards finding a good used Weber for next to nothing that will last 10-20 years.  Can you explain your thought process?  Even a new one doesn't seem Antimustachian compared to junk grilles in a landfill every few years.
Spending money on stuff you don't need, even if you got a deal on it, is still a waste of money.

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2022, 10:37:24 AM »

Spending money on stuff you don't need, even if you got a deal on it, is still a waste of money.

Thank you for clarifying, I think I understand your point now.  So would your stance be that buying an outdoor grille at any price is Antimustachian since one can cook indoors without spending money on a grille at all?  Not disagreeing with you if that's your opinion, but I'm not sure I would agree that it is so Antimustachian that it would belong in the Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy thread.

Curious as to how many forum members would lean towards this viewpoint.  Everyone has different levels of frugality.  I'm glad I made the thread....I might not be keeping an eye out for good used grilles otherwise.

That's what I love about this site...I find things that make me stop and think almost every time I browse.  Do I NEED an outdoor grille?  Why not cook inside?  What has made me automatically think to buy/replace an outdoor grille without even stopping to consider if I should or not?  Having an outdoor grille is a cultural norm.  Interesting indeed.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2022, 10:42:31 AM »

Depends on the situation.  If there is a convenient way to tap into the house natural gas line, running the yellow natural gas flex line is dead easy to DIY.     

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2022, 10:52:52 AM »
Curious as to how many forum members would lean towards this viewpoint.  Everyone has different levels of frugality.  I'm glad I made the thread....I might not be keeping an eye out for good used grilles otherwise.

My take is that the things that you use are not a waste of money. I use my gas grill way more than I used my charcoal grill. Also, it lets me cook in the summer without heating up the kitchen. You are allowed to spend money on things you value, just like MMM spends money on craft beer.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2022, 11:20:08 AM »

My take is that the things that you use are not a waste of money. I use my gas grill way more than I used my charcoal grill. Also, it lets me cook in the summer without heating up the kitchen. You are allowed to spend money on things you value, just like MMM spends money on craft beer.
Plus, a gas grill can be used in an emergency or when the power is out.
I like to save where I can so I can spend on what I want.
I return cans for the 10 cent deposit and collect scrap metal that I sell at the scrap yard. I scrounge free firewood. I also just bought a $350 Filson work jacket. It will last 5-6 years, based on experience.
Do I need it, is it worth it? To me it is.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2022, 11:25:43 AM »
I have a gas stove so that isn't a situation I worry about.  Also they sell those 16 oz. Propane Coleman mini stoves if you want a stove back up, much cheaper than those grills with big Propane tanks.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2022, 11:28:12 AM »
I have a gas stove so that isn't a situation I worry about.  Also they sell those 16 oz. Propane Coleman mini stoves if you want a stove back up, much cheaper than those grills with big Propane tanks.
That's actually the most expensive way to buy propane.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2022, 11:29:50 AM »

Thank you for clarifying, I think I understand your point now.  So would your stance be that buying an outdoor grille at any price is Antimustachian since one can cook indoors without spending money on a grille at all?  Not disagreeing with you if that's your opinion, but I'm not sure I would agree that it is so Antimustachian that it would belong in the Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy thread.

That's what I love about this site...I find things that make me stop and think almost every time I browse.  Do I NEED an outdoor grille?  Why not cook inside?  What has made me automatically think to buy/replace an outdoor grille without even stopping to consider if I should or not?  Having an outdoor grille is a cultural norm.  Interesting indeed.

FWIW, we do a lot of our cooking on a grill during the warmer months because it doesn't heat up the house (we tend to keep our A/C off until it's humid and up around 30).  Seems reasonable to me.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2022, 11:30:08 AM »
That's actually the most expensive way to buy propane.
True, but it is emergency use only.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2022, 11:34:47 AM »

For about $15 you can buy a hose to adapt a grill-style propane tank to your Coleman stove.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2022, 11:41:24 AM »
How many emergencies are people running into that they need an emergency stove, seems super edge case.  I guess no electricity for days on end?

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2022, 11:49:07 AM »
If it's something I value and I spend money on it, it's smart, but if I don't value it and you spend money on it, it's stupid.

I think some people have a fixed, inflexible, inward looking mindset that cannot be changed or improved.

Anyway, I suspect I won the "cheap grill" lottery. Bought a $160 Char-broil 4+1 gas grill about 6 years ago from Target. I've done a deep clean once or twice, but it still works great, and hasn't disintegrated. But it's probably unlikely a heavier grill user will be as "lucky." If you grill 2 dozen times each summer, and get just 3 years from the $150 grills, you're paying $2 each time you cook. If you get 10 years from the $600 grill, you're paying $2.50 each time you cook. Personally I think the $150 grills are hard to beat, but you are likely contributing more to landfills than if you go for higher quality.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2022, 11:58:38 AM »
How many emergencies are people running into that they need an emergency stove, seems super edge case.  I guess no electricity for days on end?

Well, I live in Pacific Northwest Megaquake territory, so I like to plan ahead. But just last year we had this ice storm that left one of my friends without power for five days. However in her case she was able to stay in my guest room where I had somewhat miraculously maintained both power and internet.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2022, 01:54:18 PM »

I've gone 7 days with no power, 3 days with no water, and a recommendation to boil water for a few days after, also roads in and out of the community were cut off for days, the stations had no gas, stores were mostly closed (no power), phone lines down and cell towers down, too. That was the worst I've personally experienced in 55 years in the rural NW. It was touted as the worst storm here since the Columbus Day storm in 1962.
So, not an every day occurrence, no. But I was prepared, not like some ultra prepper, just common sense stuff like generator, gas, propane, water, food, candles, emergency radio, wood stove, etc.
This is getting a little off topic, but you asked, and I think it's worth reminding people to stay prepared.

As for gas grills, I would still try to find a free one and just fix it. There's so much free stuff out there! But I like doing that, so ymmv.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2022, 02:10:55 PM »
I have a cheap weber charcoal and a Weber Gas grille (Spirit 330 I think, but not sure)

While on the pricier end for gas grilles, I think it's one of my better buys when it comes to "stuff". I grill a lot and year-round, and we have proper winter as well but that doesn't stop med. My only issue is that the ignition-button doesn't work anymore. Maybe easy to fix, but also easy to fire up using a matchstick which is what I've been doing for the better part of a year now. Mine is 10 years old and still going strong, but prob need new grates in a year or two. Mine is outdoors and only cover for the elements is the weber fabric cover.

The gas grille gets a lot more milage than the charcoal one, it's just easier to fire it up and less hassle to use.

I quickly discovered that I need two gas bottles, so Im never out of gas and also uses one all the gas in one bottle before switching. In the very unlikely event that power goes our for an extended time, having some gas available is also a backup. But I happily admit that as I live in a major city the probability of that is very close to zero.

lutorm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2022, 08:21:54 PM »

You can eat raw food, too, so I take it you don't have a stove?

Life is about more than surviving. How do you define "need"?

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2022, 10:16:03 PM »
I have a green egg which we love.  It's pretty much indestructible and will probably outlast me.  It's expensive but you did say 600+.

Green egg or kamado joe for sure!  Picked up a kamado joe jr for $199 a few months back.   Awesome grill / can do a 3 bone short rib on it.

And to appease the OG MMM - I’d recommend finding a discarded shopping cart. Put wood into the basket and a grate over the top. Voila.

https://www.reddit.com/r/shittyfoodporn/comments/bkkur5/hobo_bbq/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

All in <$7.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2022, 01:41:56 AM »

You can eat raw food, too, so I take it you don't have a stove?

Life is about more than surviving. How do you define "need"?
I have a gas stove, a grill isn't helping me.  Also I don't have a private back yard living in a condo complex.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2022, 07:11:05 AM »
If I can ever justify spending the money, I'm getting a Blackstone. They cost over $1,000 new, but I see a used one on FB right now for $350, so I'm sure they're easy enough to find. The reason I don't have a grill now is because I prefer cooking on a flattop. It would be nice to be able to cook burgers and not have the whole house stink for the next day.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 07:46:13 AM by DadJokes »

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2022, 07:19:28 AM »
If it's something I value and I spend money on it, it's smart, but if I don't value it and you spend money on it, it's stupid.

I think some people have a fixed, inflexible, inward looking mindset that cannot be changed or improved.

Anyway, I suspect I won the "cheap grill" lottery. Bought a $160 Char-broil 4+1 gas grill about 6 years ago from Target. I've done a deep clean once or twice, but it still works great, and hasn't disintegrated. But it's probably unlikely a heavier grill user will be as "lucky." If you grill 2 dozen times each summer, and get just 3 years from the $150 grills, you're paying $2 each time you cook. If you get 10 years from the $600 grill, you're paying $2.50 each time you cook. Personally I think the $150 grills are hard to beat, but you are likely contributing more to landfills than if you go for higher quality.

I had this debate with myself last year, almost a year ago to the day. Ended up with a Char-Broil from Lowe's and it's held up insanely well. We grill 4-5X a week for 7 months out of the year. I went into Home Depot to buy the Weber Spirit 310 after several people recommended it in my journal, the sales associate who was supposed to fetch it from their 30' shelves disappeared and never came back. We got frustrated and went to Lowe's instead and walked out with a Char-Broil for <$199 and couldn't be happier. It shows almost 0 rust.....just keep it covered if it's raining and clean it periodically.

The only way I would spring for an uber nice grill is if I knew I was staying in the same house for 10+ years, otherwise what a hassle to move it.

NoVa

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2022, 07:30:14 AM »

I had this debate with myself last year, almost a year ago to the day. Ended up with a Char-Broil from Lowe's and it's held up insanely well. We grill 4-5X a week for 7 months out of the year. I went into Home Depot to buy the Weber Spirit 310 after several people recommended it in my journal, the sales associate who was supposed to fetch it from their 30' shelves disappeared and never came back. We got frustrated and went to Lowe's instead and walked out with a Char-Broil for <$199 and couldn't be happier. It shows almost 0 rust.....just keep it covered if it's raining and clean it periodically.

The only way I would spring for an uber nice grill is if I knew I was staying in the same house for 10+ years, otherwise what a hassle to move it.

I have a basic Char-Broil gas grill, 2 main burners and a side burner. It's at least 20 years old. Works great. I did replace the grate last year. I also added a thermometer ($12, drill one hole and screw it in) which helped on cooking slower things like corn and vegetables. The side burner came in handy when we had an ice storm and power was out for 3 days, we were the only neighbors who could make coffee with a french press. $200 with 20 years of service, I am good with that.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2022, 07:49:07 AM »

So you only spend money on needs? The cheapest food to meet your nutritional needs, the smallest shelter imaginable, no vehicles, no money spent on hobbies, no vacations, etc.?

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2022, 07:56:39 AM »
So you only spend money on needs? The cheapest food to meet your nutritional needs, the smallest shelter imaginable, no vehicles, no money spent on hobbies, no vacations, etc.?
I was wondering the same thing, so I started reading through some of Jim's old posts. From what I can tell, he is a real-deal face-punch-giving poster from days gone by that pinches every penny so hard old Abe screams. I'm a card carrying member of the cheap bastard society, and I was impressed.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2022, 08:13:48 AM »
I was wondering the same thing, so I started reading through some of Jim's old posts. From what I can tell, he is a real-deal face-punch-giving poster from days gone by that pinches every penny so hard old Abe screams. I'm a card carrying member of the cheap bastard society, and I was impressed.
Well then I suppose we'll have to wait for the library to open to hear Jim's rebuttal.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2022, 08:25:39 AM »
Well then I suppose we'll have to wait for the library to open to hear Jim's rebuttal.

Like I said, I was impressed...
I have been on this since it was the EBB, Emergency Broadband Benefit.  Now it is called the ACP.  Verizon FIOS 300 is free in my area under the ACP.  https://www.affordableconnectivity.gov/do-i-qualify/

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2022, 08:38:42 AM »
Years ago I had bought a used Weber Genesis and quite liked it.  The house I bought a few years ago came with a gigantic high-end gas grill plumbed into the natural gas line - it's utterly spectacular, but no way would I pay the new cost for it (I want to say it's a $3k+ grill?).  If I were buying now I would probably go the used Weber route or a Big Green Egg / Kamado Joe / etc style ceramic grill/smoker unit.  I have a friend in the southwest who said they're readily available on the used market, but not so much where I am so I don't have one yet.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2022, 09:56:45 AM »

Like I said, I was impressed...
I have been on this since it was the EBB, Emergency Broadband Benefit.  Now it is called the ACP.  Verizon FIOS 300 is free in my area under the ACP.  https://www.affordableconnectivity.gov/do-i-qualify/
[/quote
No disrespect intended!

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2022, 11:03:13 AM »
I got an early version of the Camp Chef pellet grill from my dad for Christmas about 4 years ago. It held up great, but the starter isn't catching all the time anymore. So sometimes I need to turn it on and off again a few times. I'm a member of IMBA and it gives us pretty great deals on some company's products and I just discovered Camp Chef is one of those companies. They offer 35%, so I just picked up a $750 SG 24 for $487 + taxes. I'm also excited that it has both smoking and open flame options as that is one thing that I missed from a traditional grill. Also the wifi + app is going to make monitoring heat, etc. much more convenient.

As a side we probably use the pellet grill at least 1-2x a week year round and probably 2-3x a week in the spring/summer/fall. It usually cooks our chicken breast for the weeks for lunch and dinners and something different one weekend evening for dinner as well. We actually might use the pellet grill more than we use our oven.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 11:05:30 AM by mizzourah2006 »

lutorm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2022, 06:47:27 PM »
I have a gas stove, a grill isn't helping me.  Also I don't have a private back yard living in a condo complex.
Well, then clearly there's no point in you getting one. As for us, we grill a lot, and hanging out on the lanai, looking out toward the ocean, with some food on the grill, is relaxing I'm willing to pay a couple hundred for over however many years that grill will last.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2022, 08:29:12 PM »
Don't get defensive. We should question cultural norms.

Because let's face it, almost everyone with consumer debt up to their eyeballs can rationalize their choices ("That Sea-doo bought at 18% interest is soooo important to me!")