Author Topic: Motivation troubles? Gamify your life!  (Read 5516 times)

mustachioso

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Motivation troubles? Gamify your life!
« on: August 31, 2014, 09:12:36 PM »
www.habitrpg.com

I've been using habitrpg for a few weeks now and I'm really surprised how much an app/game can improve your life!
I must be highly motivated by guilt because I find not completing my daily challenges is a serious bummer.

Love to see what everyone comes up with for habits so please share!

Mine:
Habits: take the stairs, replace coffee with tea, drink water, take the stairs
Dailies: have a productive morning, Code or problem solve something, go to bed by 11, spend an hour reading, exercise
To-Do's: mostly work projects I need to get done

I have no affiliation with habitrpg.com. I just became a fanboy and thought I'd share :)

Kriegsspiel

Re: Motivation troubles? Gamify your life!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 09:15:14 PM »
Are you the drummer from Foo Fighters?

RichLife

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 08:15:19 AM »
I've been using this with a group of friends and it really helps. I keep my todo's in another program but I have been using this to help me improve on household tasks (one a day) and habits. We also run a few group challenges and have been fighting some bosses to keep it interesting.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 08:29:15 AM »
I'll have to check into this.  Behavior habits can be hard to change.   I started 3 a day face washes this week.  I'm a male, so once a day always seemed fine but I decided to try to end my adult acne flair ups.    It is hard to remember!

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 12:37:11 PM »
Are you the drummer from Foo Fighters?

Does Dave Grohl have a hard time getting in bed by 11?

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 09:56:31 AM »
I looked into this and it seems very nice and all, but I'd rather get some extra time to play a real game instead of fiddling with this. I was heavy into video games in the past, but not so much one college and family came into the picture.

I'm really enjoying Beeminders' scientific evidence for why their program works. And as mustachian's, we know every dollar counts so putting it on the table really makes the goal worthwhile! I'll try to check back in in a few months to see if I've kept the momentum.

schoopsthecat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 10:12:49 AM »
I've been using this on and off for about 6 months.  It's great, and it's amazing how much better I am about being consistent with little things.  If you use this, try out the phone apps that are made by 3rd parties...some are better than the game's actual app.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 12:25:19 PM »
Cool! Will definitely check this out.

TheNorwegianGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 04:55:44 AM »
I really like the concept! :) But the iPhone app is not working properly for me. It reset my habit-settings almost every time I go out of the app...

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 06:15:41 AM »
Is anyone still doing this? I noticed that there is no guild for mustachians, which is a real shame. I would create one, but only if enough people are interested.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 07:19:48 AM »
I've been using this on and off for about 6 months.  It's great, and it's amazing how much better I am about being consistent with little things.

Perhaps that isn't the ringing endorsement you meant it to be...!

Is anyone still doing this? I noticed that there is no guild for mustachians, which is a real shame. I would create one, but only if enough people are interested.

I hadn't noticed the thread until now, but it sounds interesting.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 08:06:35 AM »
It's been renamed to habitica for anyone that's wondering.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 08:15:43 AM »
One of my habits I'm trying to change is jumping on the computer for little things :)

Instead, I started my own little notebook (like, pen and paper notebook) to track my time usage and grant myself points for certain activities. I've found totaling the points up at the end of the day surprisingly gratifying even without fancy graphics.

I got the idea from Benjamin Franklin's Thirteen Virtues notecards combined a little bit with a time tracking exercise forum user Bakari shared awhile back.