Author Topic: Most fun you've ever had giving away money?  (Read 12102 times)

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
Re: Most fun you've ever had giving away money?
« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2019, 06:23:37 AM »
Love this thread, and I love the variety of examples people put up--gifts both big and small.

My example requires a bit of background:

My wife had been involved with our local, small town food bank for some time.  (She is very local in her giving, where I tend to look at global problems)  We donated food items regularly, and always thought of them when it was time to clean out the freezer, whether seasonally or for a new start to a diet.  Comes the time where "extreme couponing" was all the rage (2014?) and my wife picked it up as a hobby.  Of course, that fad had plenty of example of excesses; gross consumption that bordered on waste.  Who needs 40 toothbrushes?!?  Unless you are shopping for ~60 families.  Aha!  So, for a couple of years, we took a $10 / week budget and leveraged it up to $100+ of items.  We got quite sophisticated at it:  one local Kroger store was really great to work with:  they knew we were shopping for charity, and knew the kinds of things we were looking for, so we could chat with the Manager about likely stock we would want, and they would supplement their order for us.  Well, as so often happens, this trend was loved to death.  Eventually, that Kroger had to cut back their coupon policy as some kind of roving group from Ohio would drive 2+ hours, one way, to clean them out.  Regularly.

So our bounty came to an end.

We took our cash budget and went back to "regular" donations, but we really missed the impact we used to have, so we started to brainstorm.  Along this time, the organization had a change of leadership, and gained a real dynamo of a leader.  She had a lot of ideas that shook up this sleepy little operation, and such a kind heart--very focused on impact for the community, as well as recognition of contributions of individuals in the organization.  One such person was a man who brought fresh eggs every week, from his own chickens.  (this is a benefit of a small organization; a lot of large organizations would not accept this)  That got me to thinking about staples everyone would need, every week.  Well, at the same time, Visionary Leader was also bemoaning that the organization was distributing juice--or rather, sometimes "juice," that is, something less than 100% natural--because it was a cheap drink.  Ostensibly, it was for kids--something better than soda.  But she ideally would like to give them milk.

Hmm...

So we started imagining how to do this, as close to our budget as possible.  I had the idea to try and pick up a retail cooler; the kind with sliding doors.  If we could get one of those cheap, then we just would have the question of how to fund ~60 gallons of milk per week.  Still a budget-buster, but it was in the back of our minds.

So, one day my wife is at their building.  I don't know exactly how the conversation went, as I wasn't there:  my wife may have mentioned we were thinking on the milk problem, or the statement may have come out of the blue.  But Visionary Leader casually mentioned that they could get all the milk they needed for free; they just didn't have refrigerator space to make use of it.

Bingo!  We wrote the check that day.  Or rather, we told them that day to tell us what kind of fridge they wanted.  Turns out, the fridge they had (for fresh fruits and veg) actually had its coils encased in solid ice--it was near failure.  So we wrote a check for $1,500 for two nice units, which can switch from fridge to freezer as needed.  This ended up equaling 3 years of giving, but would pay off so much more.

So since that day, now 5+ years, and more than a year since we moved away, every family gets a gallon of milk with their food.  No "juice" or other sugary drinks.  Visionary Leader moved on, actually scaling up to aid work in Africa.  But this gives me joy because it was a lasting impact.  In fact, it really gets me energized to think about it, because it was an investment:  a capital expenditure that pays "dividends" in milk every week, enabling a better service for the families that they are helping.  It has also shaped my future giving, to look for similar opportunities where there is opportunity sitting on the sidelines, for lack of a particular capability or capacity.  And I'm mindful that while a lot of people were very close to a solution, we really stumbled on the final connection of all the pieces--that I shouldn't shy away from asking the leadership about these kinds of opportunities, either to put them out in the open, or to get them thinking about them and looking for them.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2019, 12:22:47 PM »
Love this thread, and I love the variety of examples people put up--gifts both big and small.

My example requires a bit of background:

<snip, for space>

It has also shaped my future giving, to look for similar opportunities where there is opportunity sitting on the sidelines, for lack of a particular capability or capacity.  And I'm mindful that while a lot of people were very close to a solution, we really stumbled on the final connection of all the pieces--that I shouldn't shy away from asking the leadership about these kinds of opportunities, either to put them out in the open, or to get them thinking about them and looking for them.

This is completely inspiring -- thanks for sharing it!
My favorite giving is also the kind that solves someone's problem (bonus for solving multiple problems) in a way that continues in the future.

socalteacher

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2019, 10:29:00 PM »
My brother donates his time building playgrounds and learning centers in Africa.  He befriended a young kid over a 3 month period who was homeless. The kid had scars all over his arms and legs from street animals attacking him in the night. My brother really couldn’t afford to support the kid so we have been sending him money for the past five years to get him off the streets and into school. He couldn’t pass his latest exams but his English is good enough that he was able to get into a tourism school to become a tour guide/ work in the local tourism industry. He is a good kid who has had such a tough go in life that we are more than happy to help him.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: September 13, 2019, 01:35:33 PM »
Most of my giving is to established charities through my donor-advised fund, or to local entrepreneurs and small-scale aid projects through Kiva, Donors Choose and Global Giving. I very rarely give cash to individuals.

But one time sticks in my memory: a friend who posted on social media in a panic. She was supporting herself and a disabled spouse, and had fallen just a little short of being able to cover that month's bills. If she couldn't come up with the cash, she was going to get hit with overdraft charges and late fees and fall even deeper into the hole.

I asked her how much she needed, and it turned out to be $100. $100! I've spent more than that on a meal. I told her I'd give her the whole amount then and there. She offered to pay me back the next month, but I told her there was no need.

My NW is much higher now, but I've never felt wealthier than I did in that moment, knowing that an amount I could give away without a second thought could make the difference between relief and disaster for someone else.

Mrs. Fire Lane

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2019, 03:33:16 PM »
This is bougie and not mustachian but I like going to fundraisers - shabby ones for small groups pizza parties or barbecues, but also and my husband and I have been to some semi-formal galas for local charities. (Not black tie but in a nice catering hall.) Its fun to socialize for a good cause, even if when you factor in makeup and gas and other expenses it would be cheaper to just write a clifhtly bigger check.

One day when we were going to a charity concert I found a $20 bill in the street. I picked it up and spent it on 50/50 raffle tickets at the event. I won and was happy to give the money back to the charity - it was never mine to begin with. :)