Author Topic: Airbnb verification issue, anybody know?  (Read 45941 times)

MikeBear

• Bristles
Airbnb verification issue, anybody know?
« on: April 04, 2015, 02:04:08 PM »
 I'm trying to verify any of my phone numbers (two mobiles, and my home) in Airbnb's profile or their verification system. When I do, I get this error: 'Oops! We can't send verification code to this phone number. Please try another number.'

I can't get around it no matter what. I've tried in Firefox and IE11, but no go. There's no way to contact Airbnb via phone, web email seems to be it. I sent in a ticket, and all I got was a generic email back saying it was being "forwarded on to the appropriate department".

It's Easter anyway, so I probably can't contact anybody there even if I had a phone number.

Google this issue, and it appears many people have the same problem. Anybody here know what I can do to resolve this?

This doesn't make me feel good about dealings with Airbnb...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Airbnb verification issue, anybody know?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 03:21:44 PM »
Is it a google voice or other voip number?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 07:14:56 PM »
The two mobiles are Tracfones, and the home number is an Ooma IP based one through the normal Telo system. Which works for everything, up to now at least.

James!

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 07:18:39 PM »
http://gethuman.com/contact/Airbnb-com/

There's a # for them. I called once through the prompts for "urgent security issue" which got me a real person on a Sunday. An actual employee too, not a random call center. My issue wasn't actually regarding security but he didn't mind and resolved my issue promptly.

Good luck!

-J

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 07:58:20 PM »
Well, I was just successful in verifying my WORK phone number, as their automated system didn't error for that one and was willing to call that number. After that number verified, I re-tried one of my personal numbers, and I got the above error again.

However, that's obviously NOT the preferred number for my Airbnb account, since I'm sure this would be used as a contact method by property owners if they had to contact me during my stay at their place, or in case of emergencies.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 06:46:34 AM »
Had the same problem and ended up using my work cell. Curious what you find out.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 07:36:01 AM »
I finally verified with personal info because it said my Facebook didn't have enough public postings, I don't have Google+, and whatever else they wanted to access.

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 01:14:47 PM »
I finally verified with personal info because it said my Facebook didn't have enough public postings, I don't have Google+, and whatever else they wanted to access.

I verified with LinkedIN, (no Facebook, and never will get one) but it still won't verify my personal phone numbers, which is a step past that. I can understand needing a listed phone number, what I can't understand is why their system is so incapable of dialing certain numbers, or maybe it's certain town exchanges all together. My work phone is VOIP, same area code as my house, and it didn't have issues with that...

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 08:05:52 PM »
I got an email from an Airbnb CSR today that basically said: "Ok, _____ you are all fixed and verified now!". I was WTF? NOBODY called me to ask me my phone numbers, NOBODY called me to find out if I was really who the rest of the profile said I was, nothing.

I emailed back: "Ok, thanks, but I need to have my mobile phone numbers added, in case a host has to get a hold of me, here they are". I got an email back 10 minutes later, "Ok, your phone numbers are all verified, and have been added to your profile". They never called them to see if I or my wife answered. I'm WTF again, NOBODY has these numbers, so how could they prove they are mine? They are, but still.... It sure makes me wonder about their so-called "Verification" process, and just how valid some people in their system actually are...

bocin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 06:03:10 PM »
I've been getting the same error in internet browsers. But then I tried the Airbnb iOS app on my iPad and it was possible to add the phone number there. I received the verification sms without problem.

luciep

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 05:54:15 PM »
I got the same issue today. I entered my cell phone number and it gave me that error. I can't use another phone, so I guess I won't be booking anything through them. I have a consumer cellular plan on an iPhone, nothing fancy.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!