Author Topic: MMM -- the TL;DR version  (Read 7913 times)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
MMM -- the TL;DR version
« on: September 11, 2015, 05:07:50 AM »
For people who don't have time to read MMM's posts and all those comments, it would be a public service to offer condensed versions. I'm willing to start with the latest post.

Post: Dogs are like cars. You don't have to have one, and they cost way more than you think they do.
Comments: (1) You probably meant to say "all dogs are crap", because I saw a crap dog once. (2) I have a dog and it brings me joy. Therefore anybody who suggests not having a dog is a joyless fuck.

firewalker

• Bristles
Re: MMM -- the TL;DR version
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 05:33:03 AM »
I think your TL;DR version lost something in the process. I can't figure out what you're trying to say. Are the comments part of the TL;DR or a secondary rant or ???

atrex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 05:41:47 AM »
I like it.  As far as the comments, he's summarizing, tongue in cheek, that general gist of the comments.  In other words, those were the general messages behind most comments, either message (1) or message (2).

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 06:17:02 AM »
I think one of the aims of MMM is to create enough time in your life to be able to read MMM?

But kudos for trying...

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 06:33:18 AM »
You can safely assume tongue fairly far into cheek on my attempt at a thread here. This particular post's comments seemed especially TLDRable, although to be fair I stopped reading after a couple of hundred and thus may have missed something particularly brilliant and actionable.

MudDuck

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 06:37:56 AM »
You can safely assume tongue fairly far into cheek on my attempt at a thread here. This particular post's comments seemed especially TLDRable, although to be fair I stopped reading after a couple of hundred and thus may have missed something particularly brilliant and actionable.

I think it's safe to assume that you got it after the first 100.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 07:22:53 AM »
Amused.

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 07:26:09 AM »
I love this idea!

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 09:42:00 AM »
Nothing brings out the crazies like politics, religion, and dogs...

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 09:52:51 AM »
Probably my favorite post of all time was "How to tell if you're a complainypants."

TL;DR:
If you're living in the civilized western civilization and you don't live under a bridge and beg quarters for food, it is extremely likely that YOUR LIFE IS FUCKING AWESOME.  So buck up, sissypants.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 10:34:43 PM »
Nothing brings out the crazies like politics, religion, and dogs...
And the question of holding gold.

Brawndo Salesman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 10:57:30 PM »
People who knee-jerk to typing, or even thinking, the phrase, "TL; DR" are lazy and undisciplined.

There I said it. I'm not sorry if I hurt any precious feelings.

"TL; DR" is a phrase designed by lazy people to irritate more disciplined people. It's basically people bragging about not having the discipline to read something, and simultaneously wanting to let you know about it.

It's also very smug. I compare it to people who shrug off the fact they don't know something they should know by saying, "Naw man, I don't know that shit! haha."

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 11:08:18 PM »
People who knee-jerk to typing, or even thinking, the phrase, "TL; DR" are lazy and undisciplined.

"TL; DR" is a phrase designed by lazy people to irritate more disciplined people. It's basically people bragging about not having the discipline to read something, and simultaneously wanting to let you know about it.

It's also very smug. I compare it to people who shrug off the fact they don't know something they should know by saying, "Naw man, I don't know that shit! haha."
Funny, I thought it was a warning/apology, as in "This is more than you really need to read to get the gist of what I'm saying."Or, "I wrote a lot of words that you don't really need to read." As in "Too long, don't read." Perhaps this is what happens post-FIRE; you lose touch with what's trending, because it doesn't really matter.

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 11:56:06 PM »

TL;DR: you are not aware of the other meaning of TL;DR, which is "I'll provide a summary, as a service to the lazy."

As an example, the previous sentence. This is distinct from the more rude meaning, which is, "What you wrote is too long and not worth reading." The person writing the TL;DR summary is not the one being lazy. The person writing the TL;DR read the material and is summarizing it.

cerebus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 03:30:42 AM »

No, you know what's lazy and undisciplined - rambling, incoherent posts with no clear central point. Usually with an assumption that the author is  unassailably correct and any attempt at rebutting a single point will be met with a screed at least double the length of the original post. Some people deserve a good TL;DR you know.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 08:50:01 AM »

I just think it's smartass and snarky.  And I view those things as positives, not negatives.  After all, we are all readers of a smartass, snarky blog, right?

And no, that doesn't hurt my feelers a bit.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 04:52:03 PM »

No, you know what's lazy and undisciplined - rambling, incoherent posts with no clear central point. Usually with an assumption that the author is  unassailably correct and any attempt at rebutting a single point will be met with a screed at least double the length of the original post. Some people deserve a good TL;DR you know.

Cerebus is 1000% correct.

Brawndo Salesman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 07:06:22 PM »
1000% is unpossible

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2015, 10:49:00 AM »
Probably my favorite post of all time was "How to tell if you're a complainypants."

TL;DR:
If you're living in the civilized western civilization and you don't live under a bridge and beg quarters for food, it is extremely likely that YOUR LIFE IS FUCKING AWESOME.  So buck up, sissypants.

Well played.

This idea is awesome.  I'd love to see a wiki like this, where people could submit their one sentence summaries of MMM posts.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2015, 10:59:28 AM »
Hmmmm.  Back in the day it was called an "Excutive Summary".  I've also seen it referred to as BLUF - Bottom Line Up Front. 
Oh and the one liner for the latest post:  Drive up windows are both the symptom and cause of what's wrong with the consumer sukka.