Author Topic: Got a planning or transportation internship?  (Read 2576 times)

OctaviusIII

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Greater Marin
Got a planning or transportation internship?
« on: April 01, 2016, 09:32:50 AM »
Odd request, I know, but my summer internship just fell through and I'm getting a little desperate. I'm looking for an internship in transportation planning OR international development work. I'm looking elsewhere, too, of course, but I thought I should cast my net as wide as possible. Background:

Cornell master's student, city and regional planning. International economic development focus. This is a career change from database management to something that I actually like doing, even if I don't plan on doing it for more than 15 years or so. Resume.

I've been something of a ghost on the forums of late because of school work and the pressures of trying to figure out next year and the summer. I can even do unpaid, thanks to a part-time telework job and matching money from Cornell.

If you don't have such a job, where should I look? What stone would you look under?

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
Re: Got a planning or transportation internship?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 10:31:00 AM »

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 01:04:47 PM »
I currently work in planning. If you're interested in NC, the NC planning list serv occasionally puts out internships and jobs. Here's a link: https://www.sog.unc.edu/resources/listservs/planners-and-planning-departments-ncplan

SC also has a listserv, but it's very inactive.

If you're not interested in NC, see if your state of choice has a planning listserv. Planning.org might also have some jobs/internships listed in their jobs section. You might have more luck reaching out to smaller towns/cities, as the larger ones are flooded with applications. The downside is that smaller places are quieter, but the upside is you will get to wear many hats.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 01:11:25 PM »
Check with the state of NJ and NYC-- DOT DOES do internships- I actually worked with a guy who was interning- grown man from somewhere not in the US- he was putting himself through school and eventually got a job working here.

NYC also has two seperate DOT's- the City itself- and then the rest of the state. FYI.
NY Harbor also would be somewhere to check.

OctaviusIII

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Greater Marin
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 03:06:02 PM »
Thanks for the tips, folks. I'll let you know how it goes.