Author Topic: mbta  (Read 6922 times)

aneel

• Stubble
mbta
« on: February 18, 2015, 01:00:40 PM »
How are you fellow Bostonians handling the mbta fails lately? I've been working from home. Tried to show my face at the office today, but I ended up back home after about 4 hours of failed commuting.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
Re: mbta
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 01:06:54 PM »
It's been pretty miserable.  My normal train in the AM is permanently canceled it seems.  The train one earlier gets me in later than my normal train used to.  And my evening commute?  Late, packed, etc.

The pic is a chart comparing this winter snowfall to 1995-1996.  It doesn't show the latest blizzard snowfall but you can just mentally draw it yourself at 96.  (The chart in this article won't open on my computer, only on my phone, so I'm not sure if you'll be able to see it at the bottom of the article which has the latest:
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/02/10/snow-keeps-falling-moods-darken/y4upC11FiPxT1HANACSHIO/story.html?hootPostID=66c25b82dcb1c9685d8eb5f24babf351

We were pretty closing to blowing a lot of money on an unmustachian trip to warm and sunny.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 01:10:16 PM by CommonCents »

prudence

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 01:22:46 PM »
I would guess that many people who normally ride the T are driving. I drive to work and the roads have been gridlocked between the snowbanks and extra traffic. 

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 01:28:47 PM »
By biking to work :-)

Seriously though, I hope this gets resolved soon.

chemgeek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 03:16:41 PM »
It's so bizarre to me that it's certain lines and not an across the board issue. Thankfully we live where my husband has options so instead of the red line and a bus, he's been taking the green line and a bus. Technically longer, but the last month it's always been faster. The traffic this week has been light so far ( least on the pike), but I'm really not looking forward to next Monday when all the schools are back in session : /

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 07:37:08 PM »
I'm usually a bike commuter but have been taking the Red line and buses the last couple of weeks... All on the Cambridge/Somerville side, which seems to be doing better than most of the system. On the evening commute I've been walking one stop closer to home because I just haven't been able to get on the train at the stop closest to work. For non-commuting travel I've been driving more than usual.

Planning to get back on the bike tomorrow, and I am so psyched!

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 09:14:11 AM »
I normally work from home but with 2 kids underfoot now I have been wanting to get more face time at our office in Cambridge. Drove in on Tuesday only to find there was no parking - NONE - available. So I turned around, came home, and have been working from home ever since.

bpolar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 09:46:33 AM »
I have been getting to work late most days. After work, sometimes I have to walk now, about 7 miles, with no sidewalks. No fun, but it will eventually be over.

cambridgecyclist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 10:35:09 AM »
I bike to work. It's not fun in these conditions but it's worlds better than the alternatives. My commute requires intense concentration in order to negotiate the narrow bands of open space alongside gridlocked motorists. It takes about 5-10 minutes longer now than it does when roads and bike lanes are at their normal width and availability. Normally it's a 35 minute ride.

This is the price we pay collectively for prioritizing private motor vehicle transport over mass transit, bicycling and walking, all of which consume far less valuable urban real estate.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 10:39:04 AM »
I bike to work. It's not fun in these conditions but it's worlds better than the alternatives. My commute requires intense concentration in order to negotiate the narrow bands of open space alongside gridlocked motorists. It takes about 5-10 minutes longer now than it does when roads and bike lanes are at their normal width and availability. Normally it's a 35 minute ride.

This is the price we pay collectively for prioritizing private motor vehicle transport over mass transit, bicycling and walking, all of which consume far less valuable urban real estate.

+1

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 08:29:35 AM »
Last night I was unhappy I was getting home 1.5 hours later than usual due to a canceled then delayed train.  I was concerned/upset because today & next week I'm dog sitting for my sister (who is headed to Florida, the luck, and I doubt her dog can handle being home alone an extra 1.5 hrs if it happens again.

Today, I learned a coworker passed away last night.  She was last in the office 1.5 weeks ago.  I knew she had cancer, but thought it was in remission because she didn't like to talk about it, and she had been back in the office working for a good while.  Did not know it was pancreatic cancer either.

Put things into perspective.

aneel

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 10:15:03 AM »
Hey everyone,
I've been so busy commuting these days that I forgot I started this thread!  I was happy working from home for a while, but my job didn't see it as a long term solution, so back into the office I went.  I appreciate the fact that I'm salaried and am not getting fiscally punished for my reduced hours at work lately.  I hope all the collective complainypants (yes I wear them proudly on this topic), are able to enact some change.