Author Topic: Maybe I'm not the green sheep after all...  (Read 1622 times)

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
Maybe I'm not the green sheep after all...
« on: May 15, 2015, 05:36:35 PM »
I thought I was the only one in my family interested in Mustachianism (hence my name -- also relates to the fact that I'm an almost-vegan and most of my family are meat eaters), but just today I discovered that my great-grandfather's financial life involved some degree of badassity. (I suppose most people who lived through the Depression were/are totally badass Mustachians, but it's neat to see it written down in black and white.)

The file is too large to attach here, but it's a hand-written list of his debts, what he spent on various aspects of homeownership, etc. and how long it took him to pay them off. The total cost of the house, including interest, etc. was $6675.25. He bought it during the Depression (thanks to a loan from his brother) just after he got married and had a low-paying job, and he paid it off in 12 years. He was one of 13 children born to Czech immigrants, so he had to start from the bottom and work his way up.

The best part is his celebration at the bottom of the calculations, where he wrote: "Paid Up In Full. Don't owe one cent to nobody up to this date except $150 in taxes. Thank God!"

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Maybe I'm not the green sheep after all...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 06:06:11 PM »
Pretty cool find!  Did you come across a box of his old papers or something?

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Maybe I'm not the green sheep after all...
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 06:28:11 PM »
In a roundabout way, yes. My dad has been scanning and saving all sorts of old family photos and documents for years, and my computer serves as the second backup. So I have a lot of files on here that I haven't actually laid eyes on because there are so many. When I told my parents I had just paid off my student loans, my dad replied that I should search for a file called "Free at Last." :-)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!