Author Topic: Marijuana use - Give your input  (Read 54668 times)

Eric

• Magnum Stache
Re: Marijuana use - Give your input
« Reply #200 on: July 31, 2014, 06:12:45 PM »
It's illegal, so I don't do it. If you don't like the law, change it.

If nobody ever broke stupid laws, laws would never be changed.

The point of the democratic process is to not need to break the law to get it changed. You can petition your government to modify its positions, and your vote actually has an effect on who is elected. If you reside in a monarchy or a dictatorship, you might need to "break the law to change it", but it's not like people are dying because they can't consume this drug.

And sometimes, you just say "fuck it" to the rules, whether it's smoking weed or coming to a complete stop at every stop sign.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/10/22/theres-something-you-need-to-know-about-the-rules/

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #201 on: July 31, 2014, 06:28:23 PM »
It's illegal, so I don't do it. If you don't like the law, change it.

If nobody ever broke stupid laws, laws would never be changed.

The point of the democratic process is to not need to break the law to get it changed. You can petition your government to modify its positions, and your vote actually has an effect on who is elected. If you reside in a monarchy or a dictatorship, you might need to "break the law to change it", but it's not like people are dying because they can't consume this drug.

And sometimes, you just say "fuck it" to the rules, whether it's smoking weed or coming to a complete stop at every stop sign.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/10/22/theres-something-you-need-to-know-about-the-rules/

Thank for linking - I somehow hadn't seen that one yet.

I agree with the concept - most of society's "rules" aren't rules at all, so you don't need to follow them. They're just social standards, and they should be questioned. But as a citizen of the US, I need to abide by the country's laws. Laws are different than rules.

I'm fine with questioning laws. There's a ton in place that I disagree with. But, as a citizen of the country, I need to follow them. If I don't like a law, I can either campaign to have it changed, or move to another country where it's not an issue. If neither of those were options, or the law was causing harm to someone, then I might have a case for disobeying it. That's not the case with Marijuana laws.

The problem with only following a law if you agree with it is that then no one follows laws anymore, and you have anarchy.

MrFancypants

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #202 on: July 31, 2014, 06:28:39 PM »
Don't care.  Helps my wife with pain.  Seems pointless to keep fighting it.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #203 on: July 31, 2014, 08:50:47 PM »
but it's not like people are dying because they can't consume this drug.

No but many are suffering in chronic pain and children are having hundreds of seizures a day.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!