Author Topic: Love where you live? Tell me about it!  (Read 15909 times)

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
Re: Love where you live? Tell me about it!
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2019, 04:13:08 PM »
Chattanooga TN ticks almost all your boxes, OP.  Not sure about walkability though.  I'm hearing lots of good buzz lately about Chattanooga.

I'm not sure about walkability, either, though downtown it has the free buses. And for sure TN is conservative (except for Nashville), but I was absolutely delighted by Chattanooga on a visit last summer.   Enough so to consider it as a possible retirement location.

We are considering this too.  It's an easy-peasy drive to Atlanta, Nashville, & Birmingham if you want to do city stuff. It has nature out the butt.  It seems to have a reasonable cost of living and a really livable feel to it. It would be a positive contrast to Memphis, where we are now.

The bluffs next to the city...I was totally not expecting those!  And now I'm getting weekly email updates from Reflection Riding Arboretum (lovely property up on the bluff where we spent a whole day hiking) and it's making me want to go back. 

backandforth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2019, 07:30:50 AM »
post to follow

Western_sean

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2019, 09:25:48 AM »
This seems like a very mustachian solution to the where to live question -   https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/italy-town-pays-people-to-move-intl/index.html. Anyone ever done or considered something like this?

FenderBender

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2019, 10:11:07 AM »
Northern Nevada ticks off all your boxes.  They have a mild 4 seasons. Lots of outdoor recreation and things to do. Housing has gone up a lot due to tech companies moving in.

i don't live in reno but i love it there.   what i love about it is the summers, no need for AC in and around reno.  my house is for sale now, we are moving to asia and i hope never to step foot in the US ever again, but if we were staying in the US, reno would be top of my list.  entertainment, things to do are plentiful in reno.  winters are terribly cold in the mountains around reno, but in and around town not too bad.  crime is very low too.

ASquared

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2019, 09:08:16 PM »
Athens, GA here.  Our criteria was very similar to yours and this town has been a great home for 4+ years now.

Great weather.

Very walkable and decently bike friendly(this is improving pretty rapidly).

It's lowish COL but more mid COL in the more walkable historic neighborhoods.  2 blocks up from our place you have 3-4 nice pubs, 4 restaurants, a coffee shop, juice shop, cheese shop, wine shop and a small grocery and a 50+ acre park.  A 2-3 bed house would rent for $1800+ or sell $250-400k depending on exact size and finishes.

About an hour from north Atlanta and maybe 1:20 from the Atlanta airport.

Athens itself also super progressive.  However, just like the Midwestern towns listed, our representation is quite conservative due to the surrounding red areas and some state level gerrymandering.

Bonus: There's also a great craft beer scene.

That sounds amazing, thank you. 250-400K definitely doable, and we could set up to cash pay that. I'll look into Athens, thanks!

Channel-Z

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2019, 12:23:17 PM »
I'll provide some love for my hometown of Lawrence, Kansas, which is home to the University of Kansas. It is the blue dot in the red state. You can drive to Kansas City International Airport in 45 minutes. But if weather is important to you, then you won't be happy anywhere in the central U.S..

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2019, 11:12:01 PM »
Do any of you here consider global warming and climate changes as a part of the selection process?
I personally would find it hard to select a new city based on future climate, but I would keep it in the back of my head.

Neat visualization for the US of what climate's some cities might resemble in the future:

It's a visualization based only on predicted changes in temperture and precipitation, but kind of cool (for some definition of cool). More details here: https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/energy-and-environment/2018/11/30/18117953/climate-change-maps-cities-2050

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2019, 12:10:02 AM »
Do any of you here consider global warming and climate changes as a part of the selection process?
I personally would find it hard to select a new city based on future climate, but I would keep it in the back of my head.

Neat visualization for the US of what climate's some cities might resemble in the future:

It's a visualization based only on predicted changes in temperture and precipitation, but kind of cool (for some definition of cool). More details here: https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/energy-and-environment/2018/11/30/18117953/climate-change-maps-cities-2050

What I noticed from that visualization, is that we are already halfway into that period. Here in Norway we have also observed that the winters in the last 30 years have gotten fewer days below zero on average for each year. Over 30 years the winters are not what they used to be.

ryantids

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2019, 01:15:05 AM »
Albuquerque.

Sent from my coral using Tapatalk

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2019, 07:24:11 AM »
We do think about potential climate change impacts, but it's not driving our decision-making process. 

atribecalledquest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2019, 08:42:06 AM »
Fayetteville, NC.

Large enough city to have lots of the chain stores, small enough to have locally owned businesses and restaurants.
Surprisingly cosmopolitan because of the military presence at Ft. Bragg.  Lots of  ethnic groceries and restaurants for the same reason.

If you get active in making the community better you'll be welcomed.    Small enough to make a big difference.   Large enough to have resources to make things happen.

Two universities in town.    Within a  couple hours of the beach or several different, larger cities.  Within a day's drive of lots of cities.    Amtrak station.   Local airport with decent connections and no long lines.

Friendly, welcoming people.   None of that, "You ain't from around here, are ya?"

Some great neighborhoods.   Active artist community though you'll have to look for it.

Low cost of living.

True, and if you need your hair cut, a loud muffler installed on your vehicle, your arm tattooed, or your lap danced on, there's no shortage of choices for you! 

Kidding aside, Fayetteville must've changed a lot in the last 10 years.  I'm glad its reviving itself, it was pretty bad the last time I was there.

It still is, I would not recommend Fayetteville..