Author Topic: Let's talk San Diego again, 2021  (Read 2937 times)

Dibbels81

• Stubble
Let's talk San Diego again, 2021
« on: June 07, 2021, 06:01:32 AM »
Howdy all,

My wife and I have been California dreamin' for a while now, and as luck has it I received a solid job offer from a company in SD. I'm a medical professional, as if my wife. Offer was for $46 an hour plus full benefits (med pros chip in if that is a good rate for the area.) This is at an upscale assisted living/SNF type setting. We used to live in Las Vegas and we miss the sunshine and mountain hiking. I loved the hot weather but the wife almost melted in July. Hence the San Diego pursuit. We've visited a few times and loved it, though not for a couple of years now.

I would love to hear from the MMM community of their experiences living in SD the past couple years. Overall, is it worth it for you, considering the very high cost of living? We'd be downsizing from a spacious townhouse in northern IL to likely at 1 bed condo...for more money. I'm fine with small spaces, though I'm nervous about annoying neighbors/barking dogs, etc. Questions: Is San Diego a bike friendly town for commuting? How are grocery prices? Other cost of living expenses that took you by surprise? (gas prices look brutal). Has crime become worse, as it has in LA? Is the outdoor recreation as good as my google map searches tell me it is? I'm late 30's, wife is early 30's. A baby could be on the way within 3-4 years. Are schools adequate in SD?

I understand the (overstated) California exodus is likely people fleeing for more affordable pastures. Building a 'stache in SD would be a challenge; however, financially, we're in great shape, with a NW that just turtled over 1 million. We could be FI in we moved to a LCOL area, though my argument for this has failed spectacularly. I would consider this a "coast FI" situation, with full-time work for maybe two more years before semi-retiring to part-time pursuits. I'm not yet burned out so this situation is OK for now. The wife gives a blank stare when I tell her she should be retiring in a few years.

Any input is appreciated!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 10:52:58 AM by Dibbels81 »

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Let's talk San Diego again, 2021
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 10:11:12 AM »
I'm not sure if I'm reading your post correctly, but was the job offer for $46,000 ? Or $46/hr? Before taxes.

You'll be paying close to $46,000 a year (after taxes) in rent, depending on where you want to live.

Other than that, what's not to love? :)

subhobroto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • DIY is Fun
    • subhobroto.co.nr
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 11:16:03 AM »
Questions: Is San Diego a bike friendly town for commuting? How are grocery prices? Other cost of living expenses that took you by surprise? (gas prices look brutal)

Depends on where you are.

Downtown San Diego is bike friendly, so is the university area. Now if you try to bike in North county, you might appreciate a drive around the area with me pointing out the places that can get  you to the hospital real quick.

I am also happy to lend you a hand building your own eBike that can drive up most 8% grades which is what you would encounter in certain neighborhoods or in the hills where I live.

In general, majority of SoCal is aggressively anti bike but if you have the same prision mentality as I do, you can get by with just one or two cars smashing your bike once a year and not more frequently.

As long as you have two gopros on your person, to capture the evidence, your hospital and bike costs will be reimbursed in full.

People usually don't hit and run here. In the 10 years I've been doing this, only one person drove away and I promptly purchased the gopros after that. In the last accident, the driver that drove their Dodge into the back wheel drove me to the hospital no questions asked. The latter half of the bike was mangled beyond repair so we left it by the roadside. It was gone by the next day when I came by to retrieve it.

People generally don't expect full time bike commutes and just don't expect bicylists. The bicylists here have more of the "ride/pool to work and sit in the office all day" crew with their $3k custom bike and $500 gear crowd here.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 11:43:53 AM »
Questions: Is San Diego a bike friendly town for commuting? How are grocery prices? Other cost of living expenses that took you by surprise? (gas prices look brutal)

Depends on where you are.

Downtown San Diego is bike friendly, so is the university area. Now if you try to bike in North county, you might appreciate a drive around the area with me pointing out the places that can get  you to the hospital real quick.

I am also happy to lend you a hand building your own eBike that can drive up most 8% grades which is what you would encounter in certain neighborhoods or in the hills where I live.

In general, majority of SoCal is aggressively anti bike but if you have the same prision mentality as I do, you can get by with just one or two cars smashing your bike once a year and not more frequently.

As long as you have two gopros on your person, to capture the evidence, your hospital and bike costs will be reimbursed in full.

People usually don't hit and run here. In the 10 years I've been doing this, only one person drove away and I promptly purchased the gopros after that. In the last accident, the driver that drove their Dodge into the back wheel drove me to the hospital no questions asked. The latter half of the bike was mangled beyond repair so we left it by the roadside. It was gone by the next day when I came by to retrieve it.

People generally don't expect full time bike commutes and just don't expect bicylists. The bicylists here have more of the "ride/pool to work and sit in the office all day" crew with their $3k custom bike and $500 gear crowd here.

I would say this attitude also depends. I live near a big business/ lab park and we have lots of bike commuters, so everyone is watching out for those of us on our bikes. BUT, it isn't particularly safe to bike in from the residential part of the neighborhood we are technically in. The cars from that direction have a total disregard for the bike lanes, and the bike lanes have a total disregard for physics, starting and stopping mid block a few times along the neighborhood. It is safer to bike in from other neighborhoods, and specifically up a long, steep hill - more than one hill for some, uphill both ways for all (no housing in the canyon). I have not seen anyone without an e bike that can make the hill we live on look easy. I can make it from here to the top, but not from the bottom to here working on it). There is a bike lane along the 56 that is widely used by commuters, as well. And I am not sure where they are going to/from, but there are a lot of bikers using the bike lane on the 5 from La Jolla northwards, which connects easily with the 56 or across the lagoon towards Del Mar.

I am happy to say that DH has commuted by bike most of the time we have lived in SD and has never been hit, even when we lived along the less safe route mentioned above. Personally, I have been in more danger in crosswalks with appropriate lights than on the bike.

subhobroto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • DIY is Fun
    • subhobroto.co.nr
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 12:05:44 PM »
I would say this attitude also depends

Agreed. Location, location, location.

For example, when I used to commute in Vista, even though it was extremely busy, the drivers in the Toyotas, Hondas expected bikes and would keep me safe.

I have had the exact opposite experience on Airport road at Carslbad where the Lexus, Buick, BMW and MBZ would take a "quick turn" assuming the white man signal on the roadside had just turned on its own and it wasn't a person who pressed the button.

there are a lot of bikers using the bike lane on the 5 from La Jolla northwards, which connects easily with the 56 or across the lagoon towards Del Mar.

I am unsure whether the OP is looking to rent in the Del Mar-La Jolla area.

Might be? In that case, we might need to revisit that $46/hr rate.

I am happy to say that DH has commuted by bike most of the time we have lived in SD and has never been hit, even when we lived along the less safe route mentioned above. Personally, I have been in more danger in crosswalks with appropriate lights than on the bike.

Majority of my accidents have been on crosswalks at the white light as well. I have been brushed against while on the road but the hospital trips have been when the driver drove into me at a crosswalk as I was crossing over intersections.

Dibbels81

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 12:56:58 PM »
So this job is actually in Rancho Bernardo, so we're looking at Condos/apartments in the east Del Mar/Mount Carmel area. I'm seeing pretty nice 1 bedroom units in the 2.5k monthly range. My wife is also in the medical field and has an interview at the university hospital.

An un-mustachian commute could be in the future. That's about 15 miles each way to Ranch Bernardo from those units. I'm definitely looking into an ebike--I see a nice bike path along highway 56, and then a pretty large and wide road, Carmel Valley Road, the rest of the way. My beat-up entry level ebike, Ancheer, likely won't make the trip. I'm jonesing for a Rad Runner or something that is built for longer distance.

Thanks all for the input thus far. We're flying in this coming weekend to scope out the area.

subhobroto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • DIY is Fun
    • subhobroto.co.nr
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 01:07:31 PM »
So this job is actually in Rancho Bernardo, so we're looking at Condos/apartments in the east Del Mar/Mount Carmel area

Why don't you rent in Rancho Bernardo then?

With an eBike it's going to be a very nice area to cycle in. I go there often

Thanks all for the input thus far. We're flying in this coming weekend to scope out the area.

Good luck! I am actually flying out to Denver this coming weekend (and hope to visit the MMM HQ!) otherwise I would have given you a walkthrough.

See: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/commuting-for-a-week-in-colorado-(well-denver-and-longmont)-help!/

Actually if you will be at SAN on the 12th, I could meet up with you as I will be at the airport. let me know!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 01:28:25 PM by subhobroto »

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 01:22:41 PM »
Crime seems worst than before but not close to LA rates.  This is variable by area of course.  I think petty crime is up throughout California since Prop 47 downgraded stealing less than $950 to a misdemeanor and then pretty much quit prosecuting misdemeanors.  For serious crimes I think San Diego is the safest (or one of the safest) large cities in the US.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 01:48:44 PM »
So this job is actually in Rancho Bernardo, so we're looking at Condos/apartments in the east Del Mar/Mount Carmel area. I'm seeing pretty nice 1 bedroom units in the 2.5k monthly range. My wife is also in the medical field and has an interview at the university hospital.

An un-mustachian commute could be in the future. That's about 15 miles each way to Ranch Bernardo from those units. I'm definitely looking into an ebike--I see a nice bike path along highway 56, and then a pretty large and wide road, Carmel Valley Road, the rest of the way. My beat-up entry level ebike, Ancheer, likely won't make the trip. I'm jonesing for a Rad Runner or something that is built for longer distance.

Carmel Valley Road is excellent for biking. We sometimes bike through the canyons, then return home that way, because there is a nice park as your approach the 5. Not sure why you wouldn't just get a two bedroom in Rancho Bernardo or Rancho Penasquitos, though, unless you are trying to get half way between UCSD and Rancho Bernardo. Even then, I might look at Mira Mesa (Black Mountain Road is safe, if strenuous, for biking). None are as glamourous as Del Mar and Mount Carmel, but neither of those have actual amenities that make them better. Even the schools are not as different as many who are paying their Mello Roos would have you believe.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 02:02:30 PM by ixtap »

Zette

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 01:57:44 PM »
How important is it to live near the beach?  Housing prices will get lower the farther inland you go.  You might consider areas like Poway, Rancho Bernardo, Escondido, and Mira Mesa to cut down on housing costs.  Poway School district is very good.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 02:03:37 PM »
2 adults living in a one bedroom is a terrible idea. Have some space. Lol

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2021, 02:12:06 PM »

Why?

We have three adults in two bedrooms and it is occasionally a minor inconvenience, even with everyone working from home. We got a roommate in the first place because the extra bedroom was sitting empty, in no way making our lives better.

Dibbels81

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2021, 02:19:29 PM »

Carmel Valley Road is excellent for biking. We sometimes bike through the canyons, then return home that way, because there is a nice park as your approach the 5. Not sure why you wouldn't just get a two bedroom in Rancho Bernardo or Rancho Penasquitos, though, unless you are trying to get half way between UCSD and Rancho Bernardo. Even then, I might look at Mira Mesa (Black Mountain Road is safe, if strenuous, for biking). None are as glamourous as Del Mar and Mount Carmel, but neither of those have actual amenities that make them better. Even the schools are not as different as many who are paying their Mello Roos would have you believe.

Thank you, we'll check out Mira Mesa this weekend. The road looks beautiful, but whoa nelly those hills around Black Mountain look pretty steep. My legs are not in shape for this right now.

How important is it to live near the beach?  Housing prices will get lower the farther inland you go.  You might consider areas like Poway, Rancho Bernardo, Escondido, and Mira Mesa to cut down on housing costs.  Poway School district is very good.

As newcomers, we'd like to live pretty close to the beach. As the novelty wears off in a couple years, we'll probably head inland, especially if a baby makes an appearance.

Likely after gaining 30 pounds from the amazing local burrito stands, we'll probably be forced into at least a 2 bedroom.

nancy33

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2021, 01:24:37 AM »
Native Californian here. The California exodus you speak of is about a lot more than affordable housing. Visit before you move. California  has changed drastically. I hope to exit soon.

subhobroto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • DIY is Fun
    • subhobroto.co.nr
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2021, 07:28:09 AM »
Native Californian here. The California exodus you speak of is about a lot more than affordable housing. Visit before you move. California  has changed drastically. I hope to exit soon.

Unsure what other things you're concerned about but if your worries are with the attitudes of people and community - I don't think escaping California will solve the root cause.

My friends out of recently always red Texas are pretty upset with the California influx where these transplants are voting and behaving the exact same way they did when they were in California, so it's just a matter of time before Texas becomes the new California - the very reason why these transplants left in the first place - so leave Texas then?

It's almost like I have a terrible spending problem and that's costing me $$$ so I leave the U.S. for India because $75 USD = 1 INR.

Is that a good solution to my terrible spending problem?

I assure you sanity still exists in California.

Sure, you might get overwhelmed with the excess of knuckleheads at most of the places and the crazy policies they ignorantly pass, but there are pockets of sanity and maturity where people still work for their money, live within their means, vote aggressively and locally (I not only don't have an HOA, neither do my neighbors and we don't even live in a city and I assure you none of these will change soon!), don't expect nor rely on handouts, respect one another and where neighbors have beers with each other, fix plumbling and mow each others lawns (gasp!)

Why not work hard for what you would like to see? The chances of these knuckleheads following the path of least resistance is pretty high, so wait for them to drain out of the state where greener pastures lie to exploit.

The root cause why they ignorantly pass the crazy policies that has lead California to be in the current mess is the very reason why they will cause the same issue where they will move to - extreme apathy and leeching behavior.

It's the expectation that everything arrives on a silver platter and all you have to do is exist!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 02:41:01 PM by subhobroto »

Dibbels81

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2021, 11:58:16 AM »

Care to elaborate a bit? A few things I'm aware of--exploding homelessness, bad politicians (coming from Illinois this wouldn't be new for me), and stupid new law changes that encourage crime.  My previous visits to San Diego have always been positive (last one 2018). And yes, we're visiting this weekend.

GodlessCommie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2021, 10:57:04 AM »
My friends out of recently always red Texas are pretty upset with the California influx where these transplants are voting and behaving the exact same way they did when they were in California, so it's just a matter of time before Texas becomes the new California - the very reason why these transplants left in the first place - so leave Texas then?
Transplants from CA to TX are more conservative than native-born Texans. The leftward shift in TX is driven by the leftward shift of suburbs which is country-wide, and is *checked* by in-migration. Same with FL.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 10:59:02 AM by GodlessCommie »

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2021, 07:43:53 PM »
We did the Chicago to San Diego move 4+ years ago and live in Carmel Valley. I prefer that over UTC (too crowded and student-y for me). The 56 bike path you mention will get you out there easy enough. It's uphill going to work, downhill home. There are a few e-bike store in Solana Beach to check out.

Something to consider: it gets very hot very quickly when you get away from the water. As for costs, I found the only major difference between Chicago and San Diego is housing. Food is similar. Gas is a bit pricier, so everyone fills up at Costco. Also, Prii and Teslas and Volts are all much more common here.

Happy to chime in if you have other specific questions. And stop by Kiko's food trucks for a taco if you're still in town. 

Dibbels81

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2021, 06:52:45 AM »
We had a great weekend, though in the end we decided to turn the job down. I was onboard, but the wife didn't want to move on such short notice. We're pushing our move date back to January. Some thoughts:

San Diego is freaking awesome. I'm very excited about moving here. Taking a walk down the Torrey Pine Beach then dinner in Del Mar was perfect. And fish tacos. Oh my goodness. We had dinner in Ocean Beach for delicious $4 red snapper tacos with $3 craft beers with a view of the ocean.

Parking was annoying, but if you're willing to walk a half mile it was doable. Most everyone were very laid back and friendly. Driving around the highways was easier than my current driving around Chicago area commuting.

The condos in the Sorrento Valley area were expensive but very nice. I can imagine living there no problem.

Thanks all for the input.

ice_beard

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2021, 08:55:52 PM »
Bay Area RN chiming in...
You're definitely going to pay the "beach tax" if you are working as a nurse in SD.  $46/hr is about half what you get as an experienced bedside RN working in a hospital in the Bay.  I think you mentioned it might even be a SNF (shudder).  Those sweet patient ratios in California travel nurses talk about outside of CA are true, but do not apply to SNFs or LTCs, only hospitals.  Lower acuity facilities have a serious problem getting and keeping licensed staff, primarily because the wages paid in those roles do not match the COL.  So mgmt has to pick up the slack or the bedside staff suffer and hence the patients do as well.  In general, working in LTC in CA is not at all like working in a hospital, the wages and laws are completely different.  So be careful before you commit to something outside of a hospital. 

Maybe, hopefully your situation you are looking at is better, but if you are serious about FIRE and you are both nurses (RNs, BSN better of course), you can easily pull 250-300k/year working in the Bay (lots more if you are the motivated OT working nurse type).  Nurses are retiring in droves right now and hospitals need nurses.  I work 3, 12s on days which leaves a lot of time for the fun stuff of California.  I surf weekly, ride my bike 75-100 miles a week and can walk in a nice open space a ten minute walk from my house.  Drivers here are courteous and oblige by the new 3' law (for the most part). 
It's not exactly a great time to be a buyer in our region right now, but it never really is if you are coming from other parts of the country.  You could certainly rent until you figure out what/where you want to be.  We did that for a few years. 

The RN wages in SD are very low by California standards.  I work with several who all ended up in the Bay because they could make so much more.  One other thing about SD is the climate even a few miles away from the coast is like a blast furnace most of the year.  It's more like living in Arizona than SoCal. is there are significant differences in climate the further you get inland.  It can be much warmer, so be sure to look at meteorological data and not listen to random people on the internets interpretations of how hot it can be.  And where the climate is nicest is where housing is highest.  Not sure what your kid status is... but you can live in some of the lower cost east bay communities, something like Benicia or Martinez and have a reasonable commute to many hospitals in the East Bay and be making that serious FIRE coin and be surrounded by world class road biking and about an hour from a beach (Marin County/SF/Sonoma).   Check this site out for a sampling of our riding... http://bestrides.org/rides-by-region/#ba

Feel free to PM me if you want more info. 
Edited to add:  I lived in Chicago 2001-2004, working in South Loop.  You should definitely move out west.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 03:12:15 PM by ice_beard »

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2021, 05:52:49 AM »
Inland SD temperature are only blast furnace high for 3-4 months, and not usually consistently high for that time. This does not make up most of the year.

Dibbels81

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2021, 11:33:10 AM »
Bay Area RN chiming in...
You're definitely going to pay the "beach tax" if you are working as a nurse in SD.  $46/hr is about half what you get as an experienced bedside RN working in a hospital in the Bay.  I think you mentioned it might even be a SNF (shudder).  Those sweet patient ratios in California travel nurses talk about outside of CA are true, but do not apply to SNFs or LTCs, only hospitals.  Lower acuity facilities have a serious problem getting and keeping licensed staff, primarily because the wages paid in those roles do not match the COL.  So mgmt has to pick up the slack or the bedside staff suffer and hence the patients do as well.  In general, working in LTC in CA is not at all like working in a hospital, the wages and laws are completely different.  So be careful before you commit to something outside of a hospital. 

Maybe, hopefully your situation you are looking at is better, but if you are serious about FIRE and you are both nurses (RNs, BSN better of course), you can easily pull 250-300k/year working in the Bay (lots more if you are the motivated OT working nurse type).  Nurses are retiring in droves right now and hospitals need nurses.  I work 3, 12s on days which leaves a lot of time for the fun stuff of California.  I surf weekly, ride my bike 75-100 miles a week and can walk in a nice open space a ten minute walk from my house.  Drivers here are courteous and oblige by the new 3' law (for the most part). 
It's not exactly a great time to be a buyer in our region right now, but it never really is if you are coming from other parts of the country.  You could certainly rent until you figure out what/where you want to be.  We did that for a few years. 

The RN wages in SD are very low by California standards.  I work with several who all ended up in the Bay because they could make so much more.  One other thing about SD is the climate even a few miles away from the coast is like a blast furnace most of the year.  It's more like living in Arizona than SoCal.  And where the climate is nicest is where housing is highest.  Not sure what your kid status is... but you can live in some of the lower cost east bay communities, something like Benicia or Martinez and have a reasonable commute to many hospitals in the East Bay and be making that serious FIRE coin and be surrounded by world class road biking and about an hour from a beach (Marin County/SF/Sonoma).   Check this site out for a sampling of our riding... http://bestrides.org/rides-by-region/#ba

Feel free to PM me if you want more info. 
Edited to add:  I lived in Chicago 2001-2004, working in South Loop.  You should definitely move out west.

We're both medical Speech Pathologist--the job market isn't as open for SLPs as it is for RNs, though from what I've seen lately it's beginning to open up more. I've worked in SNFs in the Chicago area, so I'm aware of the potential shittiness. Though I turned the job down, this particular SNF seemed pretty decent. CNA shortage is my biggest complaint with SNFs.

We're going to pursue a coast FIRE situation, since our Stash is in good shape. The Bay area is beautiful but we're going to stick to San Diego. Living in Las Vegas for 10 years prepared me well for the desert heat--we took a quick hike in the hills behind Rancho Bernardo, which was about 88 degrees compared to the 74 near the ocean. No complaints, though. I'll just drink more beer to compensate.

I appreciate the input.

Zette

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2021, 02:58:38 PM »
One other thing about SD is the climate even a few miles away from the coast is like a blast furnace most of the year.  It's more like living in Arizona than SoCal.  And where the climate is nicest is where housing is highest. 

This is a matter of perspective -- much of the coastal Bay Area is too chilly for my liking, never getting a proper summer.  I'm currently living in inland South Bay (south San Jose) and find the summer temperatures to be similar to that of the I-15 corridor of San Diego (such as Rancho Bernardo and Poway) -- a few weeks in the high 90's, not 3-4 months.  You're not looking at Arizona-like weather until you get very far inland (Alpine). 

ice_beard

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2021, 03:17:32 PM »

We're both medical Speech Pathologist--

We're going to pursue a coast FIRE situation, since our Stash is in good shape.

I always appreciate my SLP evals.  Very important work. 
If you are coast firing in SD, then you don't need any help!  Congrats. 

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2021, 08:58:10 AM »
Inland SD temperature are only blast furnace high for 3-4 months, and not usually consistently high for that time. This does not make up most of the year.

Bingo.

We recently moved from coastal to ~10 miles inland. Yes it can get hotter, but overall we find it actually more enjoyable. You sacrifice a bit during peak summer (super hot), but then it’s hot everywhere so your likely inside with AC.  We find the benefit around the 2-4 months of May gray / June gloom. While it’s overcast and humid on the coast, it’s a clear and sunny 75’F 10 miles ‘inland’.

5-10 miles inland within rancho sante fe is about perfect for most :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 09:27:03 PM by bryan995 »

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2021, 09:26:46 AM »

Bingo.

We recently moved from coastal to ~10 miles inland. Yes it can get hotter, but overall we fine it actually more enjoyable. You sacrifice a bit during peak summer (super hot), but then it’s hot everywhere so your likely inside with AC.  We find the benefit around the 2-4 months of May gray / June gloom. While it’s overcast and humid on the coast, it’s a clear and sunny 75 10 miles ‘inland’.

The weather for San Diego County is incredibly diverse. They provide 4 different weather forecasts on the news (Coastal, Inland, Mountains & Desert)

I moved from Chicago to San Diego in 1998 and left in 2006. I visit twice a year. I have lived in Ocean Beach, Mission Beach, Pacific Beach, Normal Heights, Vista and Encinitas. I love to surf, snowboard, skate, golf, hike. It's #1 on my list to live. I lived on Kauai for 4 years. I think the weather is better in San Diego and overall living conditions. Kauai is better for vacation. 

I tried my best to end up in San Diego full-time but it never happened. I teach community college. For a full-time position, there is usually around 150-200 applications. I have made it to the final group of about 6 people about 10-12 times, but never got an offer.

In my opinion, it's totally worth it as long as you have enough money to buy a house and don't have to work more than 40 hours/week to afford to live there. Many of my friends left because they couldn't afford to buy a house. They moved to Boise and Austin. One friend stayed and bought a nice house in Fallbrook with an acre of land and a pool for 550K in 2017.

San Diego has so many free outdoor activities that it could be very MMM, even though housing is expensive.

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2021, 12:31:24 PM »

Bingo.

We recently moved from coastal to ~10 miles inland. Yes it can get hotter, but overall we fine it actually more enjoyable. You sacrifice a bit during peak summer (super hot), but then it’s hot everywhere so your likely inside with AC.  We find the benefit around the 2-4 months of May gray / June gloom. While it’s overcast and humid on the coast, it’s a clear and sunny 75 10 miles ‘inland’.

The weather for San Diego County is incredibly diverse. They provide 4 different weather forecasts on the news (Coastal, Inland, Mountains & Desert)

I moved from Chicago to San Diego in 1998 and left in 2006. I visit twice a year. I have lived in Ocean Beach, Mission Beach, Pacific Beach, Normal Heights, Vista and Encinitas. I love to surf, snowboard, skate, golf, hike. It's #1 on my list to live. I lived on Kauai for 4 years. I think the weather is better in San Diego and overall living conditions. Kauai is better for vacation. 

I tried my best to end up in San Diego full-time but it never happened. I teach community college. For a full-time position, there is usually around 150-200 applications. I have made it to the final group of about 6 people about 10-12 times, but never got an offer.

In my opinion, it's totally worth it as long as you have enough money to buy a house and don't have to work more than 40 hours/week to afford to live there. Many of my friends left because they couldn't afford to buy a house. They moved to Boise and Austin. One friend stayed and bought a nice house in Fallbrook with an acre of land and a pool for 550K in 2017.

San Diego has so many free outdoor activities that it could be very MMM, even though housing is expensive.

Completely agreed.  We arrived in 2016, so have not stayed very long. But love it! Have lived in La Jolla, UTC, Kearney Mesa and now Santee.  Happy where we are now, the city is changing quickly.  4000 new homes are planned (fanita ranch).  We looked a lot for homes in the carmel valley / pacific highlands ranch area, but the prices were wild in 2018 (1.3-1.7M), so we held off.  Now they are 2.2+ :)

Prices are only increasing, median single family home is now >800k.  You'd be hard pressed to find something > 3/2 SFH with a yard in a nice area and a reasonable commute <1M these days. 

Although at least in tech / bio, salaries are certainly increasing, so affording the COL is very doable.  Almost to FANNG bay area levels for certain roles!  And SD living is at least 2-3x better than the bay :)