Author Topic: killed home phone  (Read 5755 times)

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
killed home phone
« on: October 03, 2017, 08:27:59 AM »
Finally did it! Dunno why I hung on so long. (ok, I do it involved a past scenerio with a need for police and poor cell coverage).  Ported my home phone number to an old cell phone on page plus. Will leave it plugged in where the home phone was. Purchased $10 in minutes so I know if anyone is here visiting they will always have some way to call. (We don't have reliable ATT service) 

Savings: $20/month

small steps to an end!

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
Re: killed home phone
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 09:07:45 AM »
Finally did it! Dunno why I hung on so long. (ok, I do it involved a past scenerio with a need for police and poor cell coverage).  Ported my home phone number to an old cell phone on page plus. Will leave it plugged in where the home phone was. Purchased $10 in minutes so I know if anyone is here visiting they will always have some way to call. (We don't have reliable ATT service) 

Savings: $20/month

small steps to an end!

Nice. That's a step I haven't taken yet, mostly just because I'm old-fashioned. Might do that sometime in the future.

NoVa

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 09:30:11 AM »
We finally killed ours. There was always this emergency scenario where there would be no power, cell phone wouldn't work but a land line would (yes, we actually had one old Trimline phone). I checked that phone the last two times we had no power, it didn't work either. That was enough motivation to dump the $40 a month charge.

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 09:53:15 AM »
You must live in one of the only places that don't get ATT service. That's the only reason we keep them because we get service just about everywhere. When we were in Hazard, Kentucky we had spotty service (every carrier does there) and at our daughters near Destin, Florida we had spotty service (most carriers don't have service at her house at all) but just about every other place we get great service. The little woman has been to just about every country in the world and always has service. I haven't had a home phone in 20 years.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 11:43:28 AM »
So help me out...I'd love to do this too (oh my word, the telemarketers have convinced me of that finally) but I just don't hear as well on a cell phone and so try to take all the calls I can from a landline (including business calls) so i understand better.  My hearing is not the best, but ok, its more like something about the digital sound or something over the cell phone, I can't quite put my finger on it, maybe its just I'm old enough to still not be all that used to talking on a cell.

Any advice on this?...have I always just picked a bad phone? (its generally been the Samsung at the time)

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 12:01:14 PM »
Congrats!

We have terrible coverage with ATT, kind of down in a hole (TV antenna won't work either).  A helpful ATT emploeyee told us to use the "mark my spot" app repeatedly and then call and complain. We did, and they gave us a free m-cell instead of charging for it. Now we have reliable coverage. :)

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 01:09:58 PM »
If you have high speed internet, why not get a voip phone?  Cheap, let you use a more comfortable phone, and, at least with Voipo, control to block telemarketers.

We pay <$8/month, but we pay 2 years in advance. It allows us a cheaper cell phone plan as well.

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 01:16:24 PM »
So help me out...I'd love to do this too (oh my word, the telemarketers have convinced me of that finally) but I just don't hear as well on a cell phone and so try to take all the calls I can from a landline (including business calls) so i understand better.  My hearing is not the best, but ok, its more like something about the digital sound or something over the cell phone, I can't quite put my finger on it, maybe its just I'm old enough to still not be all that used to talking on a cell.

Any advice on this?...have I always just picked a bad phone? (its generally been the Samsung at the time)

From all my years around racing and loud motors I can't hear very good either. I use these. I have a set for home and the car. A pair usually lasts in my work van about 2 years but sometimes they get treated rough if I'm in an hurry. At home they last longer.

https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-Bluetooth-Handsfree-Headphone-Canceling/dp/B008JO2XBS/ref=pd_sim_107_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QY3Q1P4PF7131M63VHQK&dpID=41oMnBvKKbL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 01:27:17 PM »
I did the same thing - in a round about way.
I got an Obi VoIP and a google voice #.
Then I found out you can't port a landline # to Obi, so I ported my 'home' # to my old cell phone on PagePlus (which I am using for my new cell phone).
The plan was to use it a month and then port the # to Obi, but I like the voicemail notification on the phone, and that a cell phone is smaller than a desk phone.  And that I can use my bluetooth headset.
I started with the $12 plan, but now I'm using the 'pay-as-you-go' and tracking the purchases to determine the best amount to buy at a time.

I'm not sure how much I'm saving as my home phone service was bundled with my internet and I'm still determining the monthly cost for the page plus account.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 01:32:44 PM »

Any advice on this?... have I always just picked a bad phone? (its generally been the Samsung at the time)
Cell phones (and cell service) have gotten better over the years.  It's now the exception to be able to tell when someone is talking on a cellphone.
And cell phones have volume buttons; you can adjust the volume.
If the phone has a headphone jack, you can use a wired headset - some of them have volume buttons.  There are even ones that are made as telephone handsets - but I think they're mostly novelties.
Or, as suggested, you can use bluetooth headsets, which have volume buttons.  They come in very many styles (and prices).

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 02:30:15 PM »
You must live in one of the only places that don't get ATT service. That's the only reason we keep them because we get service just about everywhere. When we were in Hazard, Kentucky we had spotty service (every carrier does there) and at our daughters near Destin, Florida we had spotty service (most carriers don't have service at her house at all) but just about every other place we get great service. The little woman has been to just about every country in the world and always has service. I haven't had a home phone in 20 years.

Verizon is much better in the rural northeast. ATT only works in the cities and along the highway.  ATT sort of works at my house "wait, repeate that? huh? hang on I think I lost you... let me go in the other room... I'm in the driveway, can you hear me now?".

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 02:31:00 PM »
If you have high speed internet, why not get a voip phone?  Cheap, let you use a more comfortable phone, and, at least with Voipo, control to block telemarketers.

We pay <$8/month, but we pay 2 years in advance. It allows us a cheaper cell phone plan as well.

hmm I guess because I'm not super familar with it? Plus I also hate my internet service (so expensive!) and am looking to change that too.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 02:38:58 PM »
Obihai + Google Voice number = free home phone. Why pay for home phone if you have high speed internet? I do not even remember when we start doing this, maybe 10 years or so...

We are keeping G Voice because it is the cheapest to make international call when we need to.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 02:50:30 PM by sequoia »

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 05:30:22 PM »
Obihai + Google Voice number = free home phone. Why pay for home phone if you have high speed internet? I do not even remember when we start doing this, maybe 10 years or so...

We are keeping G Voice because it is the cheapest to make international call when we need to.

my internet was out for a week this winter due to trees falling on the line. I may move to that. At least I got some savings!

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 06:30:29 PM »
I got a magic jack recently.  It costs $20 a year vs. $10/month I was paying the cable company.  At the same time I cut the cord. 

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 11:20:05 PM »
Here in the states she usually does stay near highways or big cities with few exceptions. She is from Massachusetts and lived in NYC for 12 years (worked at the MET) so she is familiar with the area; I am not. That sucks to not have the great service we are so fortunate to have in the big city of Fort Worth. Maybe some day every place will have it. Speaking of phones, she got a new iPhone tonight.

FiftyIsTheNewTwenty

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 03:20:33 PM »
You can use a cellular home phone device on Ting for $6/month, plus whatever usage it adds to your account.

https://z3ic8c4p6ac.ting.com/

They'll sell you one for $97, including SIM card, or you can use one from elsewhere.

VOIPo looks like a good deal, once you pay upfront.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 03:49:56 PM »
You can use a cellular home phone device on Ting for $6/month, plus whatever usage it adds to your account.

They'll sell you one for $97, including SIM card, or you can use one from elsewhere.

Hmmm But Ting is a mixture of Sprint and T-mobile.  In this case 2 crummy carriers together doesn't improve things. I would get service at home it looks like so it would work for home phone but since I don't have an account I think the total charge would be more.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2017, 10:24:37 AM »

I dunno anything about Ting so I could be missing something important. ^ does not sounds like a great deal to me if you need a home phone.

My initial setup years ago with Obihai ~$50 (probably cheaper now)+ free Google Voice number. Free text free call in the US. No monthly fee. I have not find a cheaper setup for home phone.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 10:26:31 AM by sequoia »

Spitfire

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 02:56:18 PM »

I'm currently on Nettalk voip ($50/year including the taxes and fees) but will be moving to the google voice setup.

Grats OP.

Larsg

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2017, 09:52:01 PM »
Congrats. We killed out home phone in 2000 and never looked back. We even live in an area with a lot of power outages and it has not ever been an issue as we just keep battery back up and  a small portable generator to flip on the internet when it goes out so we have both internet and cell phones when the power goes down. I encourage everyone to do it as it's an easy way to save 200-400 per year.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2017, 09:59:38 PM »
We killed our home phone a month ago.  We live in rural Australia so mobile was always patchy until a new tower was built about 12 months ago. With that and renogotiating a new deal on the wifes phone, we'll be saving about  $140 per month.  When my phone comes out of contract (doh!) about another $35 per month saving coming.

Larsg

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 05:58:51 PM »

Here is what I would try: Sign up for Google Talk (FREE), you will have to get a new phone # they will assign. Then go to AMZN and buy a Microsoft Headset: https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-LifeChat-LX-6000-for-Business/dp/B00465UNYI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1507852497&sr=8-2&keywords=microsoft+skype+headset

You can then make all your calls if in the US for free, over your existing internet service. The headset gives great sound. This headset only got 3 stars but I have had it for 2 years and make all of my work calls this way and it's outstanding. I would at least give it a try as if you can make it work, then you can save a few hundred bucks each year between the land line and long distance charges.

We have not had a land line since the year 2000, never missed it, even in during power outages as we run a small portable generator and plug in the internet so we always have connectivity, lights, and heat.

Best of luck!

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 10:14:03 PM »

Here is what I would try: Sign up for Google Talk (FREE), you will have to get a new phone # they will assign. Then go to AMZN and buy a Microsoft Headset: https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-LifeChat-LX-6000-for-Business/dp/B00465UNYI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1507852497&sr=8-2&keywords=microsoft+skype+headset

Best of luck!

I disagree with getting the headset. Maybe I am missing something but why buy headset when he already has a phone that he use for his landline.

" I just don't hear as well on a cell phone and so try to take all the calls I can from a landline (including business calls) so i understand better"

This is what I wrote on top:
My initial setup years ago with Obihai ~$50 (probably cheaper now)+ free Google Voice number. Free text free call in the US. No monthly fee. I have not find a cheaper setup for home phone.

Get Google Voice number, then buy Obihai, and connect your phone (that you currently use as landline) into Obihai. The quality should be the same since you are using your current phone. Done!

Larsg

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2017, 12:09:07 AM »

Best of luck!

I disagree with getting the headset. Maybe I am missing something but why buy headset when he already has a phone that he use for his landline.

" I just don't hear as well on a cell phone and so try to take all the calls I can from a landline (including business calls) so i understand better"

Get Google Voice number, then buy Obihai, and connect your phone (that you currently use as landline) into Obihai. The quality should be the same since you are using your current phone. Done!

Microsoft Headsets are about 37$ and deliver superior, noise cancelling sound so I recommended it because it may provide additional help to the hearing issue vs. a cell or even his home phone.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2017, 10:11:39 AM »

Best of luck!

Microsoft Headsets are about 37$ and deliver superior, noise cancelling sound so I recommended it because it may provide additional help to the hearing issue vs. a cell or even his home phone.

Gotcha!