Author Topic: Justifying tattoos post MMM  (Read 36422 times)

banjarian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Justifying tattoos post MMM
« Reply #100 on: July 06, 2016, 12:43:52 PM »
But aren't tattoos pretty much exactly about what others think? That's why you get one right? It's a purely visual thing to show something to others.

Not really. What other people would think of me was approximately 0% of what drove my tattoo decisions. I'm sure there are people out there who get tattoos just to portray an image to strangers, but certainly not everybody.

If you put art on your wall at home, is that just to impress guests? Or is it possible that you're putting it there because YOU enjoy looking at it? I rarely have guests, but I still painted my walls and hung up photos that make me happy day to day.

Only my very closest friends and my husband would ever see my back tattoo, and at this point they've already formed pretty solid opinions of me -- yet I'm still planning on expanding it in the next couple years.

This.

Just because you can see my tattoos doesn't mean they are there for you.

Personally, I don't even like it when people ask me about what my tattoos mean. To me, that is so obviously deeply personal, but I guess others don't see it that way.

Yea - I have tats that are so personal that it bugs me that people ask about them --- while wearing sleeveless shirts, etc.  Come on already.  If you like 'em, more power to ya.  If people don't like 'em, that's an opinion they are entitled to have and frankly share here.

But really, publicly visible and yet offended when people notice?  That's a new one for hipster outrage.

While you are allowed to have an opinion, I don't see what compels you to share it. When I see someone out in public with a strange haircut or a shirt I don't like, I keep walking. I see a lot of questionable visual choices that others have made, but I don't consider it my job to inform them of my opinion. 

Please, tell me - why did you choose to wear that shirt today? Does the logo on your t-shirt have a personal meaning to you, and would you like to talk to me about it instead of continuing to do whatever it is you went out to do in the first place? Here's what I think about your t-shirt. I could never wear a t-shirt like that, personally, because I'd be afraid of what people would think about me.

It's just my opinion, man, and if you don't like hearing it, maybe you shouldn't have worn that shirt. /sarcasm

I have noticed, in my experience as a tattooed person, that people feel much more entitled to publicly discuss my tattoos than they are any other part of my appearance. Why is it different with tattoos?

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: July 06, 2016, 12:46:22 PM »
I say go for it.  Personally I have no tattoos and don't plan on getting any, but I get my hair styled and buy nice looking clothes when I could theoretically save money by hacking my hair off with scissors and wearing burlap sacks.  Everyone has an aesthetic they aspire to.  If you have the money, then enjoy it. 

EmpireOfDirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #102 on: July 06, 2016, 12:47:33 PM »
Cool - glad you're willing to have a conversation.

I'd like your opinion - how would you compare the purchase of a tattoo with other anti-Mustachian items like a gas-guzzling SUV, an over-the-top McMansion, etc.? Do you think the people that purchase those items care what other people think? Or is it a deeply personal purchase that no one else would understand?

I'm not putting then in the same category (I honestly don't think they are - tattoos are much harder to get rid of!), I'm more interested in the psychology behind the purchase decision.

How about you give me your opinion on other anti-Mustachian purchases like foreign vacations or buying artwork to hang on your walls. Do you think the people who purchase those care what other people think? Or do they just like spending money on rewarding experiences and beautiful/meaningful art that will bring them joy for years to come?

Well, what I gather from your response is that you think people buy things only for themselves - either to enjoy the experience or to enjoy the happiness from looking at beautiful artwork.

Is that right?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 12:49:44 PM by EmpireOfDirt »

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: July 06, 2016, 12:48:37 PM »
But aren't tattoos pretty much exactly about what others think? That's why you get one right? It's a purely visual thing to show something to others.

Not really. What other people would think of me was approximately 0% of what drove my tattoo decisions. I'm sure there are people out there who get tattoos just to portray an image to strangers, but certainly not everybody.

If you put art on your wall at home, is that just to impress guests? Or is it possible that you're putting it there because YOU enjoy looking at it? I rarely have guests, but I still painted my walls and hung up photos that make me happy day to day.

Only my very closest friends and my husband would ever see my back tattoo, and at this point they've already formed pretty solid opinions of me -- yet I'm still planning on expanding it in the next couple years.

This.

Personally, I don't even like it when people ask me about what my tattoos mean. To me, that is so obviously deeply personal, but I guess others don't see it that way.

Yea - I have tats that are so personal that it bugs me that people ask about them --- while wearing sleeveless shirts, etc.  Come on already.  If you like 'em, more power to ya.  If people don't like 'em, that's an opinion they are entitled to have and frankly share here.

But really, publicly visible and yet offended when people notice?  That's a new one for hipster outrage.

While you are allowed to have an opinion, I don't see what compels you to share it. When I see someone out in public with a strange haircut or a shirt I don't like, I keep walking. I see a lot of questionable visual choices that others have made, but I don't consider it my job to inform them of my opinion. 

Please, tell me - why did you choose to wear that shirt today? Does the logo on your t-shirt have a personal meaning to you, and would you like to talk to me about it instead of continuing to do whatever it is you went out to do in the first place? Here's what I think about your t-shirt. I could never wear a t-shirt like that, personally, because I'd be afraid of what people would think about me.

It's just my opinion, man, and if you don't like hearing it, maybe you shouldn't have worn that shirt. /sarcasm

I have noticed, in my experience as a tattooed person, that people feel much more entitled to publicly discuss my tattoos than they are any other part of my appearance. Why is it different with tattoos?

Oh, I never ask about tats -- I don't give a rat's ass about someone's "personal statement"

But some other folks may be just friendly and curious.  Considering that folks endure the pain of the needle they seem to have pretty thin skin.

mcj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: July 06, 2016, 12:49:35 PM »
Nah, not a troll. Just someone with a different perspective. If you can't handle it, feel free to "don't really care" elsewhere.

Nah, I like it here :)

In other news, I've decided to take the advice of DianeC and yourself and carefully consider those "different perspectives." Amazingly, after careful introspection, I've realized that it actually might be possible I am a trashy criminal nazi sinner with hepatitis, who will never get another job (friendly reminder that not one of those is an embellishment on what has been said). Thank god you guys came in to make me realize that those accusations were in fact the well-meaning perspective of open minded individuals.

You should be proud to associate with such outstanding citizens of the world. I know that I now feel bad for calling them such hateful things as "judgmental prudes."

I'd like your opinion - how would you compare the purchase of a tattoo with other anti-Mustachian items like a gas-guzzling SUV, an over-the-top McMansion, etc.? Do you think the people that purchase those items care what other people think? Or is it a deeply personal purchase that no one else would understand?

I'm not putting then in the same category (I honestly don't think they are - tattoos are much harder to get rid of!), I'm more interested in the psychology behind the purchase decision.

A gas-guzzling SUV or McMansion are adding active ongoing inefficiencies to your life, I think a more apt comparison would be a one time expense that some people find great value in, like a vacation or collectible item.

banjarian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #105 on: July 06, 2016, 12:51:54 PM »

This.

Oh, I never ask about tats -- I don't give a rat's ass about someone's "personal statement"

But some other folks may be just friendly and curious.  Considering that folks endure the pain of the needle they seem to have pretty thin skin.

Okay, thanks for your opinion, bye.

mcj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2016, 12:54:24 PM »

This.

Friendly and curious is absolutely fine. I think what we are referring to is when it continues on into intrusiveness. It's a minor gripe that some people with tattoos have. I'm not sure why anyone else would even care about this conversation.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: July 06, 2016, 12:55:27 PM »

One theory; we all need to wear clothes, while a tattoo is a purely voluntary item, often costing money and pain. So the wearer must really mean something by it. Perhaps people presume that is something they want to share since they put it out for the world to see? If they didn't they wouldn't have made it public on their body? I don't know, I never ask about tats *shrug

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: July 06, 2016, 12:59:22 PM »
When I'm riding my bike home I often come upon folks with an interesting ride - I cruise up along side and start up a conversation by asking about the bike.  Jesus, what a concept. 

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: July 06, 2016, 01:00:43 PM »

One theory; we all need to wear clothes, while a tattoo is a purely voluntary item, often costing money and pain. So the wearer must really mean something by it. Perhaps people presume that is something they want to share since they put it out for the world to see? If they didn't they wouldn't have made it public on their body? I don't know, I never ask about tats *shrug

Exactly - public enough to say "look at me" -- but not public enough to ask why??  Too funny.

EmpireOfDirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: July 06, 2016, 01:02:43 PM »
Nah, not a troll. Just someone with a different perspective. If you can't handle it, feel free to "don't really care" elsewhere.

Nah, I like it here :)

In other news, I've decided to take the advice of DianeC and yourself and carefully consider those "different perspectives." Amazingly, after careful introspection, I've realized that it actually might be possible I am a trashy criminal nazi sinner with hepatitis, who will never get another job (friendly reminder that not one of those is an embellishment on what has been said). Thank god you guys came in to make me realize that those accusations were in fact the well-meaning perspective of open minded individuals.

You should be proud to associate with such outstanding citizens of the world. I know that I now feel bad for calling them such hateful things as "judgmental prudes."

A gas-guzzling SUV or McMansion are adding active ongoing inefficiencies to your life, I think a more apt comparison would be a one time expense that some people find great value in, like a vacation or collectible item.

Yeah, I see where a collectible would be the closest match maybe. I think you're on the right track with that one, at least for tattoos that are not ordinarily visible to the general public.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: July 06, 2016, 01:03:57 PM »

How about you give me your opinion on other anti-Mustachian purchases like foreign vacations or buying artwork to hang on your walls. Do you think the people who purchase those care what other people think? Or do they just like spending money on rewarding experiences and beautiful/meaningful art that will bring them joy for years to come?

Well, what I gather from your response is that you think people buy things only for themselves - either to enjoy the experience or to enjoy the happiness from looking at beautiful artwork.

Is that right?

Fundamentally, yes. But as I acknowledged earlier, we always consider others in our decisions, to some extent or another. This is true for literally everything, so I don't see why tattoos should be considered any different. And frankly, the fact that they are permanent is an argument in favor of it being a mustachian purchase, if anything. 

mcj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: July 06, 2016, 01:07:21 PM »

Exactly - public enough to say "look at me" -- but not public enough to ask why??  Too funny.

You are basing your entire position on the incorrect assumption that all tattoos are saying "look at me".

I will admit that some people get bad tattoos for bad reasons, which may include attention.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 01:09:29 PM by mcj »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #113 on: July 06, 2016, 01:09:59 PM »

Is that right?

Fundamentally, yes. But as I acknowledged earlier, we always consider others in our decisions, to some extent or another. This is true for literally everything, so I don't see why tattoos should be considered any different. And frankly, the fact that they are permanent is an argument in favor of it being a mustachian purchase, if anything.

As long as you remain static and don't change at all from the point you get the tattoo until your death, yes.  If your thoughts/ideas/preferences might ever change from that point on then no, it would be a waste of money.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2016, 01:11:25 PM »
Mine could definitely be considered trashy and cliche and not even remotely creative or individual. Probably why I had such a negative experience that I'll never get another tattoo. But I chose it for a reason to memorialize a certain stage in my life and my relationship with my husband (and furthermore it will still have meaning even if we split). Although I regret the negative experience, I don't regret the money spent. It's small so doesn't cost much--I've had meals that cost more, and although they were thoroughly enjoyable meals, they don't last a lifetime.

Try having matching tattoos with another person. Suddenly they go from entitled to discuss your appearance to entitled to dissect your entire relationship. It's like relationship cred checking. How long have you been married? How long have you been together? Do you live together? Are you the same religion? What if you have kids? How do you know you'll be together forever? Don't you know it's a bad idea to get a tattoo involving another person?

Seriously, you're welcome to ask about the tattoo all you want (although it's cliche and common, so I don't know why you would), but do you really need to delve into my marriage? If my husband had his shirt on, you wouldn't even know mine was part of a set.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: July 06, 2016, 01:12:43 PM »

Friendly and curious is absolutely fine. I think what we are referring to is when it continues on into intrusiveness. It's a minor gripe that some people with tattoos have. I'm not sure why anyone else would even care about this conversation.

Exactly. It's similar to strangers who feel it's appropriate to grab a pregnant woman's belly without permission, make unsolicited comments about future plans to breastfeed, birth plans, etc. I mean, she chose to get pregnant so she should expect for people to do those things, right? Similar logic: she chose to dress sexy so she should expect to get groped, harassed, or worse, right?

Certain reactions are to be expected and can even be enjoyable, like "nice ink man, where did you get it?" I'm sure I will get tired of people asking me what it means, but I also consider that a fair question. Insulting me because you happen to notice I have a tattoo, however, is just being an asshole. You are entitled to be an asshole if you want, but don't have a persecution complex over it if you get called out.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: July 06, 2016, 01:13:05 PM »

You are basing your entire position on the incorrect assumption that tattoos are saying "look at me"
You paint something on your body that serve no practical purpose, which sometimes not even you can see? Of course I assume the point is "look at me". What other purpose would it have?

You just "like it"? Well you must like it that other people can see it and notice it. Otherwise you would have put it under your foot or on your ass. Or hung a painting in your house. If you put it out I assume you want it noticed..

EmpireOfDirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #117 on: July 06, 2016, 01:17:00 PM »

Is that right?

Believe it or not, I totally agree with you. I would go further and say the "doing it only for myself" percentage differs person to person, for many different reasons. Probably the most important thing for most people is to understand is that we consider others even subconsciously whether we like it or not. Self-awareness and all that jazz.

As far as your tattoo? Go for it.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: July 06, 2016, 01:18:15 PM »

As long as you remain static and don't change at all from the point you get the tattoo until your death, yes.  If your thoughts/ideas/preferences might ever change from that point on then no, it would be a waste of money.

Why does a tattoo have to represent who I am as a person now and for eternity? I assume I will change as a person many times before I die, and yet I have no doubt about my decision nor do I expect to regret it, ever. And even if I do, what's the worst case scenario? I still live an awesome life but when I'm older sometimes think to myself, "man, that tattoo only brought me joy for a few years and then I kinda regretted it."? I would still consider that money well spent. Certainly much more so that than stupid luxury vacations my ex and I blew many thousands on over the years.

mcj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #119 on: July 06, 2016, 01:18:59 PM »

You are basing your entire position on the incorrect assumption that tattoos are saying "look at me"
You paint something on your body that serve no practical purpose, which sometimes not even you can see? Of course I assume the point is "look at me". What other purpose would it have?

You just "like it"? Well you must like it that other people can see it and notice it. Otherwise you would have put it under your foot or on your ass. Or hung a painting in your house. If you put it out I assume you want it noticed..

People don't see my tattoos any more often than they see the paintings in my house, some are much less public than my paintings. Why is one considered for mainly for self and the other considered mainly for others?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 01:20:39 PM by mcj »

banjarian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2016, 01:20:16 PM »

Your assumption is wrong. I think that's the point of mcj's post. You are assuming something, despite being told the exact opposite by someone with experience having a tattoo. Why do you think you know better than a tattoo-haver, why they have the tattoo?

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2016, 01:20:54 PM »

People don't see my tattoos any more often than they see the paintings in my house. Why is one considered for mainly for self and the other considered mainly for others?
Well, I consider paintings in your house to be mainly for others too.

But if you don't show them, no I don't think it's for others. I said if you show it off it is.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2016, 01:25:28 PM »

Your assumption is wrong. I think that's the point of mcj's post. You are assuming something, despite being told the exact opposite by someone with experience having a tattoo. Why do you think you know better than a tattoo-haver, why they have the tattoo?
I'm not saying this is right, just what I (and many others) assume when we meet a tattee. After all if we don't know them we can only assume/guess.

It's wrong? Well except for this conversation with one person how am I supposed to know..? Every other asthetic choice we make (clothes, makeup, hair)  are for the benefit of how others see us, but not tattoos? Ok, got it..

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2016, 01:26:37 PM »

Why does a tattoo have to represent who I am as a person now and for eternity? I assume I will change as a person many times before I die, and yet I have no doubt about my decision nor do I expect to regret it, ever. And even if I do, what's the worst case scenario? I still live an awesome life but when I'm older sometimes think to myself, "man, that tattoo only brought me joy for a few years and then I kinda regretted it."? I would still consider that money well spent. Certainly much more so that than stupid luxury vacations my ex and I blew many thousands on over the years.

No, the worst case scenario is that after liking it for a few years you are later embarrassed by the tattoo.  It would then cause you years of discomfort and annoyance.

banjarian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2016, 01:29:01 PM »

I'm not saying this is right, just what I (and many others) assume when we meet a tattee. After all if we don't know them we can only assume/guess.

It's wrong? Well except for this conversation with one person how am I supposed to know..? Every other asthetic choice we make (clothes, makeup, hair)  are for the benefit of how others see us, but not tattoos? Ok, got it..

Now you know. Sounds like you learned something today and no longer have to assume.

mcj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2016, 01:30:07 PM »

There is a difference between wearing clothes that you like, and wearing clothes in an attempt to be flashy and say "look at me".

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2016, 01:31:53 PM »

Oh, no.  It is clearly for the internal aesthetic and any notice of the flying dragon on your calf while wearing shorts is so uncool.  Even the utterance of it breaks the spell.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2016, 01:32:26 PM »

There is a difference between wearing clothes that you like, and wearing clothes in an attempt to be flashy and say "look at me".
There are? The reason you like them is because of how they make you appear to others, at least part of it.

If not; you wouldn't care I'd your favorite pants had hello kitty all over them?

mcj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #128 on: July 06, 2016, 01:33:56 PM »

Oh, no.  It is clearly for the internal aesthetic and any notice of the flying dragon on your calf while wearing shorts is so uncool.  Even the utterance of it breaks the spell.

Your hyperbole is not furthering the conversation. No one said there was anything wrong with noticing or uttering.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: July 06, 2016, 01:34:50 PM »

Believe it or not, I totally agree with you. I would go further and say the "doing it only for myself" percentage differs person to person, for many different reasons. Probably the most important thing for most people is to understand is that we consider others even subconsciously whether we like it or not. Self-awareness and all that jazz.

As far as your tattoo? Go for it.

Fair enough and agreed, thanks for your thoughts. And I apologize if I was overly rude to you earlier. I think part of the problem for the derailed portions of this thread has been that some people who are not bigots (but not tattoo fans) have (perhaps accidentally) made it seem like they were defending the bigots. I'm all for your right to think my tattoo is stupid or ugly, and even to say so, as long as you don't mind me thinking you're an antisocial jerk in that instance ;)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #130 on: July 06, 2016, 01:35:51 PM »
I never had any interest in getting a tattoo, but after reading this thread I kind of want to get one just to annoy some of the posters here. :-) 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #131 on: July 06, 2016, 01:36:31 PM »
I find it quite ironic when the judgmental prudes come in and lecture about how we shouldn't be making our own choices in these instances because they supposedly know better.
I don't give one single fuck what you chose to do to your own body. I do care about the way you respond to anyone who dares to offer a different opinion. Nobody forced you to post your plans on a public personal finance forum. Your vitriol suggests that you might just harbor a teeny, tiny seed of doubt about your decision, else why post here?

In other news, I've decided to take the advice of DianeC...and bcarefully consider those "different perspectives." Amazingly, after careful introspection, I've realized that it actually might be possible I am a trashy criminal nazi sinner with hepatitis, who will never get another job (friendly reminder that not one of those is an embellishment on what has been said). Thank god you guys came in to make me realize that those accusations were in fact the well-meaning perspective of open minded individuals.

I reposted my comment so you can read it again carefully. (The second quote in the series is mine, as is the wonky cut and paste job, sorry.) I was politely asking you to stop being so rude. I could have just reported this thread to the mods to review, but I thought it was an interesting discussion. To put a finer point on it, I do not give a flying fuck what you do with your money or your body. I would just like you to not be rude in your replies to others.

mcj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #132 on: July 06, 2016, 01:38:38 PM »

There are? The reason you like them is because of how they make you appear to others, at least part of it.

If not; you wouldn't care I'd your favorite pants had hello kitty all over them?

I think you have taken my point to be the exact opposite of what I meant. Of course I wouldn't wear hello kitty pants because I would consider them to be outrageous, flashy, and attention getting. You are forgetting that personally, I don't assign these qualities to tattoos.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 01:40:30 PM by mcj »

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #133 on: July 06, 2016, 01:42:35 PM »

I think you have taken my point to be the exact opposite of what I meant. Of course I wouldn't wear hello kitty pants because I would consider them to be outrageous, flashy, and attention getting. You are forgetting that I don't assign these qualities to tattoos.
Don't you see that's still the same? Not being flashy is also making a statement, just the opposite. I wear kakhi and blue shirt to work to signal that I'm there to do work and not be flashy. That's as much a statement as yellow sweatpants. Everything is a statement, made for the benefit of others.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: July 06, 2016, 01:44:33 PM »
I find it quite ironic when the judgmental prudes come in and lecture about how we shouldn't be making our own choices in these instances because they supposedly know better.
I don't give one single fuck what you chose to do to your own body. I do care about the way you respond to anyone who dares to offer a different opinion. Nobody forced you to post your plans on a public personal finance forum. Your vitriol suggests that you might just harbor a teeny, tiny seed of doubt about your decision, else why post here?

In other news, I've decided to take the advice of DianeC...and bcarefully consider those "different perspectives." Amazingly, after careful introspection, I've realized that it actually might be possible I am a trashy criminal nazi sinner with hepatitis, who will never get another job (friendly reminder that not one of those is an embellishment on what has been said). Thank god you guys came in to make me realize that those accusations were in fact the well-meaning perspective of open minded individuals.

I reposted my comment so you can read it again carefully. (The second quote in the series is mine, as is the wonky cut and paste job, sorry.) I was politely asking you to stop being so rude. I could have just reported this thread to the mods to review, but I thought it was an interesting discussion. To put a finer point on it, I do not give a flying fuck what you do with your money or your body. I would just like you to not be rude in your replies to others.

Given that you have almost 3k posts on this forum, you should know better by now than to believe my relatively mild condescension (especially given what I was responding to) is remotely uncommon here, nor remotely comparable to the outright bigotry of others, who you are so readily defending for reasons I can't fathom. But please, report me for being "rude" to people who have been openly calling me and others dirty nazi criminals. Next time I'll just thank them for their well-reasoned opinions because that's what this forum is all about... embracing intolerance?

mcj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #135 on: July 06, 2016, 01:45:33 PM »

I think you have taken my point to be the exact opposite of what I meant. Of course I wouldn't wear hello kitty pants because I would consider them to be outrageous, flashy, and attention getting. You are forgetting that I don't assign these qualities to tattoos.
Don't you see that's still the same? Not being flashy is also making a statement, just the opposite. I wear kakhi and blue shirt to work to signal that I'm there to do work and not be flashy. That's as much a statement as yellow sweatpants. Everything is a statement, made for the benefit of others.

I don't agree that these choices are always made primarily for the benefit of others.
I suppose that we will have to agree to disagree.
I usually select clothing on the basis of comfort, material, price, and other practical factors.
Sure, the statement to others matters insofar as being appropriate for the work environment or whatever environment I plan to wear them, but it seems to me that the statement is not a primary factor.
We are pretty far into the weeds at this point.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 01:55:24 PM by mcj »

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: July 06, 2016, 01:49:16 PM »

So I'm confused, what is the point we're arguing then? Sure, everything is a statement, in which case a decision to get a tattoo is no different than a decision to buy khakis or blue shirts. If the respective buyers find equal value in those decisions, the "mustachianism" of them is qualitatively the same.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 01:51:14 PM by Lagom »

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: July 06, 2016, 01:52:30 PM »

Huh. So, when I woke up this morning, I took a shower, blow-dried my hair and then put it up in a nice bun, I put on some make-up (blush and eyebrow pencil), chose a top I think looks nice, and poured myself a latte in a cute mug. And then I stayed home, since I'm working from home and not seeing anyone.

I like doing that stuff. For myself. If someone sees me today, fine. If no one else sees me, also fine.

Kinda like my tattoo, incidentally. I like it. I think it looks good. It's usually tucked under my shirt (it's on my upper back). But at this point, it's not really a 'look at this design' statement when you see it in public. It's an 'I'm wearing a tank top and this is part of my skin'.

So, similar to the hair and make-up of your point: I DO IT FOR ME BECAUSE I LIKE IT. You are welcome to look at it if you enjoy it! You are welcome to look away if you think I'm a hot mess. Genuinely: I. Do. Not. Care. About. Stranger's. Opinions. Of. How. I. Look.

What I DO care about very strongly: strangers who think that a tattoo gives them full permission to touch strangers without even saying hi first. It's not because my back has a design that you can touch. It's not because I'm pregant that you can touch my belly. Use MANNERS. Argh.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #138 on: July 06, 2016, 01:52:43 PM »

So I'm confused, what is the point we're arguing then? Sure, everything is a statement, in which case a decision to get a tattoo is no different than a decision to buy khakis or blue shirts. If the respective buyers find value in those decisions, the "mustachianism" of them is qualitatively the same.
Yeah sure. I said I think a tattoo is no big expenses so go ahead. No worse than other aestetic choices, except being permanent I suppose.

Though; a tattoo has cost and no/little monetary benefit, as far as I know. Me wearing appropriate work clothes may get me a raise..

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #139 on: July 06, 2016, 01:57:40 PM »

Huh. So, when I woke up this morning, I took a shower, blow-dried my hair and then put it up in a nice bun, I put on some make-up (blush and eyebrow pencil), chose a top I think looks nice, and poured myself a latte in a cute mug. And then I stayed home, since I'm working from home and not seeing anyone.

I like doing that stuff. For myself. If someone sees me today, fine. If no one else sees me, also fine.

Kinda like my tattoo, incidentally. I like it. I think it looks good. It's usually tucked under my shirt (it's on my upper back). But at this point, it's not really a 'look at this design' statement when you see it in public. It's an 'I'm wearing a tank top and this is part of my skin'.

So, similar to the hair and make-up of your point: I DO IT FOR ME BECAUSE I LIKE IT. You are welcome to look at it if you enjoy it! You are welcome to look away if you think I'm a hot mess. Genuinely: I. Do. Not. Care. About. Stranger's. Opinions. Of. How. I. Look.

What I DO care about very strongly: strangers who think that a tattoo gives them full permission to touch strangers without even saying hi first. It's not because my back has a design that you can touch. It's not because I'm pregant that you can touch my belly. Use MANNERS. Argh.
Uhh... guess as an ultra-rational engineer type I don't understand this. When I work from home I skip the shower and sit in my underwear. Because why bother? Why should I care?

And fiy I hate thouching or being touched by almost anyone so you're safe from me even if you have lizard skin.

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: July 06, 2016, 01:57:51 PM »
I never had any interest in getting a tattoo, but after reading this thread I kind of want to get one just to annoy some of the posters here. :-)

Touche!!  Maybe a dollar sign in a visible area?

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: July 06, 2016, 01:59:05 PM »

So I'm confused, what is the point we're arguing then? Sure, everything is a statement, in which case a decision to get a tattoo is no different than a decision to buy khakis or blue shirts. If the respective buyers find value in those decisions, the "mustachianism" of them is qualitatively the same.
Yeah sure. I said I think a tattoo is no big expenses so go ahead. No worse than other aestetic choices, except being permanent I suppose.

Though; a tattoo has cost and no/little monetary benefit, as far as I know. Me wearing appropriate work clothes may get me a raise..

So there might be a quantitative difference, but not a qualitative one. I'm comfortable with that, just as I am when I purchase art to hang on the wall, plane tickets to an exotic destination, etc.

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: July 06, 2016, 02:00:23 PM »

Your hyperbole is not furthering the conversation. No one said there was anything wrong with noticing or uttering.

Oh.  I see.  Just verbalizing that they notice is a microaggression and out of bounds.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #143 on: July 06, 2016, 02:02:36 PM »

I was thinking for my next I should get a dollar sign spinning down a toilet. On my forehead, of course. And I know what you mean, Dollar Slice! Funnily enough, what nervousness/doubts I had remaining about going through with my tattoo have completely vanished as I've participated in this thread. Who said tattoos weren't rebellious any more? Maybe I'll get that full sleeve after all! ;)

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: July 06, 2016, 02:10:43 PM »
A sense of humor.  How refreshing.

mcj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #145 on: July 06, 2016, 02:14:40 PM »

Oh.  I see.  Just verbalizing that they notice is a microaggression and out of bounds.

Where are these wild ascriptions of "hipsters" and "microaggressions" coming from?

It reveals some preconceptions about the type of people you think have tattoos, that in my experience, are wildly inaccurate. I, for one, got my tattoos while I was in the military. Tattoos were common, normal there. Not common in the sense of "follow the crowd, lets all get one", but in the sense that it was just inconsequential and no one minded or cared whether you had or didn't have them.

I went to college with people who you would associate with the terms "hipster" and "microaggressions" and none of them had tattoos.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 02:24:58 PM by mcj »

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: July 06, 2016, 02:22:05 PM »

Where are these wild ascriptions of "hipsters" and "microaggressions" coming from?

It reveals some preconceptions about the type of people you think have tattoos, that in my experience, are wildly inaccurate. I, for one, got my tattoos while I was in the military. Tattoos were common, normal there. Not common in the sense of "follow the crowd, lets all get one", but in the sense that it was just normal and no one minded or cared if you had them.

I went to college with people who you would associate with the terms "hipster" and "microaggressions" and none of them had tattoos.

The hipsters I know are into scarification. Tattoos are SO over, don't you know. (whatever)

(Persoanally, scarification freaks me out, but more power to them if they like it. *shrugs*)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #147 on: July 06, 2016, 02:45:33 PM »

I was thinking for my next I should get a dollar sign spinning down a toilet. On my forehead, of course.

Maybe just some text that reads "I spent $125 on this tattoo."  (Adjust appropriately for local pricing.)

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: July 06, 2016, 02:59:31 PM »

I was thinking for my next I should get a dollar sign spinning down a toilet. On my forehead, of course.

Maybe just some text that reads "I spent $125 on this tattoo."  (Adjust appropriately for local pricing.)

Ha! That idea is amazing. Maybe I'll get that one on my FIRE date :)

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: July 06, 2016, 03:26:29 PM »

It reveals some preconceptions about the type of people you think have tattoos, that in my experience, are wildly inaccurate. I, for one, got my tattoos while I was in the military. Tattoos were common, normal there. Not common in the sense of "follow the crowd, lets all get one", but in the sense that it was just inconsequential and no one minded or cared whether you had or didn't have them.

check out the campus now and it looks like ink-fest.