Author Topic: Just for fun, where did your Mustache Nickname come from?  (Read 13023 times)

Alim Nassor

• Stubble
Just for fun, where did your Mustache Nickname come from?
« on: June 01, 2017, 08:35:59 PM »
We all have our Mustachian handles, and some are straight forward, and some make you go HMMMM?  Where did your handle come from?

I'll go first.   Alim Nassor is one of the main characters in a book from the '70's written by the awesome sci-fi team of Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.   The book is called, "Lucifers Hammer" and it is about the end of civilization brought about by a comet hitting the earth.  Tremendous book, as is anything these two collaborated on.  If you want to read others, check out, "The Mote in Gods Eye", "The Gripping Hand", "Oath of Fealty", "FootFall".   All great reads.

Alim is one of the bad guys of the book, but to me he was one of the most compelling, and I thought the name was cool.

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
Re: Just for fun, where did your Mustache Nickname come from?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 09:08:50 PM »
Hometown. Couldn't believe it wasn't taken already and couldn't be imaginative enough.

SomatoseVisions

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 09:19:34 PM »
Nod to Brave New World

Alim Nassor

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 10:04:08 PM »
We all have our Mustachian handles, and some are straight forward, and some make you go HMMMM?  Where did your handle come from?

I'll go first.   Alim Nassor is one of the main characters in a book from the '70's written by the awesome sci-fi team of Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.   The book is called, "Lucifers Hammer" and it is about the end of civilization brought about by a comet hitting the earth.  Tremendous book, as is anything these two collaborated on.  If you want to read others, check out, "The Mote in Gods Eye", "The Gripping Hand", "Oath of Fealty", "FootFall".   All great reads.

Alim is one of the bad guys of the book, but to me he was one of the most compelling, and I thought the name was cool.
Love love love Lucifer's Hammer (and the rest). Every time I drive up to Norcal central valley I try to figure out how I could drive long distance on the rail road tracks in my car ;-).

My names pretty basic. Hardcore minimalist living a mainstream but Spartan life. Plus I really enjoy stoicism and pushing myself physically to test my limits.

is enjoying stoicism an oxymoron?  :)

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 10:37:06 PM »
Wow, so many creative ways to come up with a handle.

As for mine, that's what I would rather be doing. 

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 11:13:47 PM »
A kid in school used to call me Nudelkopf.   

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 07:06:28 AM »
The year I hope to flee willy-nilly from the working world.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 07:18:27 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCpjgl2baLs

:)

I'm not even on Facebook, but I looked for the LIKE button. Always enjoyed this video.

My name is a hybrid... I adopted "neo" from the Matrix in 1999 and "godless" from being an agnostic who liked to say "I am my own god!" (also related to Neo's ability to control his environment in the movies), but you can't be a superior being to yourself, thus I was truly "godless." But I dropped "godless" to slightly separate my MMM personality from my rogue internet self (I used to have a private-ish blog at neogodless.com but I let that blow into the wind) - and I adopted a newer project I've conceived but never implemented, called Retorch. Basically, I want to build a social network where people "pass inspiration onto each other" like you'd pass a torch. For now, I've created fi.retorch.com which is a basic, manual web app for tracking your finances, forecasting account balances and reporting on your budget and net worth. I also have a related idea for another subdomain that I'll use as a blog.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 08:33:45 AM »
Growing up I used to be a freak that used ketchup more often than anyone should, and I ate pasta with ketchup almost every day.  I'd go through about a bottle a week (!).  Most of my online usernames have been a variant of it since 2006.

Ironically, since around mid-2013 when I had my I-actually-want-to-eat-healthy-and-give-a-fuck-now moment (age 22), I've probably consumed in aggregate less than one typical size bottle.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 08:37:49 AM »
Well, my name is Laura, and Eddie Murray is my hero.  Boring, I know.

And my Avatar is Dr. Emilio Lizardo.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 08:40:43 AM »
If money was no option, I would spend my time traveling. And I currently live in Québec. Rather unimaginative for someone who writes for a living, but there you go.

lemonlyman

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 08:45:16 AM »
Fictional fan site in an episode of the West Wing for Josh Lyman.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 08:47:34 AM »

So I google'd that character. DO NOT CLICK ON THE TWITTER. NSFW. Damn.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 09:18:57 AM »

Holy shit!!  Yeah, not THAT one!

Spitfire

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 09:29:23 AM »
If I was in World War II they'd call me Spitfire.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 09:39:18 AM »
AOL instant messenger screen name. The dream of the 90's is alive.....

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 09:52:48 AM »
I have horrible facial hair. It's patchy, and i look like a teenager trying too hard to look older if it grows out too much.

Also, with the facial hair theme of the blog and forums... its like symbology, or something.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 09:55:12 AM »
I have horrible facial hair. It's patchy, and i look like a teenager trying too hard to look older if it grows out too much.

Also, with the facial hair theme of the blog and forums... its like symbology, or something.

Oh really? Symbology? The word you're looking for is 'symbolism.'

PizzaSteve

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 09:55:59 AM »
🗝📍

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 09:56:33 AM »
DH is most excellent at generating great nicknames for people and especially for cats (one neighborhood 'cat friend' now answers to his calls of "Chunkwattle" with enthusiasm, though her name is actually Laurie).

DH calls all the women in my family by affectionate variants of "wench" and several of us have taken to using them as online names (I'm the oldest of three sisters; hence, 'wenchsenior')

Although honestly, the only name DH uses regularly in actual conversation IRL is his nickname for my youngest sister: "Wenchlet".  That is their thing.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 09:56:41 AM »

Holy shit!!  Yeah, not THAT one!

I feel like you clicked on the Twitter. :-P

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 10:06:30 AM »

Love love love Lucifer's Hammer (and the rest). Every time I drive up to Norcal central valley I try to figure out how I could drive long distance on the rail road tracks in my car ;-).

My names pretty basic. Hardcore minimalist living a mainstream but Spartan life. Plus I really enjoy stoicism and pushing myself physically to test my limits.

is enjoying stoicism an oxymoron?  :)
Ha ha. Yeah I guess that's true. Although I once read a book called "The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy" or something like that which dispelled the oxymoron. Of course I haven't got around to reading "Self-Flagellation for Fun and Profit" yet ;-).

This thread topic has appeared before and I loved it. [Insert sigh about this otherwise awesome site's suck-tastic search disability, even with ARS's helpful tips.]

If spartana ever posted on that one, I failed to see it. I have always wondered about your screen name, dear spartana, and now I know. Fiendishly clever, for which I like you even more.

When I found this forum, I'd never played on one before, so I stupidly used my genuine first name and last initial. Then my life changed a LOT. Eventually, I wanted to start a journal and let my hair down, so I came up with this mash-up. I'm hiding so I can bitch about my MIL and her pal Al Z, who live with us. Sometimes I just need to blow off steam in a safe place, without worrying that someone's going to report me to the authorities, or, as happens with regularity, look at me with judgement in their eyes when I speak to her with what may appear to be a lack of respect. Yes, I must use very short, simple sentences that can sound like commands, because normal conversation can be is way over her current comprehension level. More and more now, sharp and short is all that penetrates her brain fog, though she still appears normal to the casual eye. I die every time it happens, but for example, I must tell her to take the purple grocery cart, not the orange one, when we go shopping. She always wants to push the cart, any cart, so she lunges for one as I'm getting the shopping bags from the back of the car. The orange ones belong to the small mom & pop shop next door. I hate to hog their limited resources because I never shop there. Odder still, is that MIL doesn't have the ability to remember anything that's said to her, but others hear and judge. Oh, ALZ sucks in so many ways! Don't get me wrong, I know for whom it sucks the most. Still, a safe place to vent is priceless, so Dicey it is.

Oh, sorry, I think I just overshared.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2017, 10:11:04 AM »

Oh really? Symbology? The word you're looking for is 'symbolism.'

Something something...yuge friggin guy...

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2017, 10:11:50 AM »

surfhb

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2017, 10:16:00 AM »
Living in Huntington Beach, CA and living a MMM isn't easy..... I enjoy surfing here as well.

Runner5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2017, 10:19:35 AM »
Four times a week at the gym, I become the saviour of Abel township :-)
 http://zombiesrun.wikia.com/wiki/Runner_5

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2017, 10:31:10 AM »
Because of my car that I built in a past life...

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2017, 10:35:42 AM »
Fun thread!

"Nouveau riche" (French: 'new rich') is a term, usually derogatory, to describe those whose wealth has been acquired within their own generation, rather than by familial inheritance.

As a pejorative term, ..."nouveau riche" describes the vulgarity and ostentation of the new-rich man and woman who lack the worldly experience and the system of values of old money, of inherited wealth, such as the patriciate, the nobility and the gentry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nouveau_riche

Kinda making fun of myself since we are not at all ostentatious.  No one looking at our lifestyle would think "rich" (new or otherwise).

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2017, 10:36:20 AM »
I clicked through Sailor Sam's link to the old thread, and read an article all about v8rx7guy... and then saw that he posted on this thread and my first thought was "why did he post again?" Ohhh... two different threads. (Of course, I keep posting on this thread, because I'm bored...)

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2017, 10:39:05 AM »
My favorite band...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dukes_of_Stratosphear

It's actually XTC that's my favorite band, but they recorded a couple of goofy psychedelic albums under this other name, The Dukes of Stratosphear.
https://youtu.be/S0D9JyoccOo

Those of us who remember the 80s might remember one of their few mainstream-ish hits,  https://youtu.be/depsFULhqV8v=depsFULhqV8 although I didn't discover them until right before they broke up :(

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2017, 10:47:42 AM »
site:site:forum.mrmoneymustache.com username gets us this thread --> https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/what's-in-a-name-username-meaning-discussion-thread/?nowap

Boom!
Boom! You're amazing, and I love you just the way you are.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2017, 11:10:36 AM »
site:site:forum.mrmoneymustache.com username gets us this thread --> https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/what's-in-a-name-username-meaning-discussion-thread/?nowap

Boom!
Boom! You're amazing, and I love you just the way you are.

preen, preen, fluff.

Since I'm here, I might as well answer. I'm a sailor. I am not named Sam, nor am I a band on the run, but daummm son, that is one fine song.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2017, 11:40:17 AM »
In the early 00's, I had a depressing run of failed relationship attempts, and blamed myself pretty harshly for failing to win over girls I was interested in.  I was a hopeless romantic, and expected to find a fairy-tale relationship, but every girl I was interested in ended up dating someone else (Usually a friend of mine).  I spent many nights during this 2 year period where I'd end up alone while the girl I was crushing over went home with another guy.  It was heart breaking over and over.  I had lost all confidence in myself, and this clearly made me less appealing to members of the opposite sex.

I loved emo music (still do), and was specifically fond of Dashboard Confessional's "Vindicated" (still am).  It just fit so well in my life at that time.  "I am flawed, but I am cleaning up so well.  I am seeing in me now the things you swore you saw yourself."  I didn't even know what the word "Vindicated" meant at first, so I looked it up and learned that it means "to relieve of all blame".  Coupling this with the lyrics, I understand the song to say, "I'm not perfect.  I'll make mistakes.  But there is nothing I can do about the past, and I'm getting better."  It became my motto (and part of my AIM username, hah!)

All of a sudden I became more like the person I knew I could be.  I stopped trying to emulate the other people around me, and just started trying to be a better "me".  I got a job working in a restaurant, which helped me learn to talk to people casually.  I made more friends, and became more confident.  I joined the Air National Guard, and learned a ton, while also bettering myself physically.  I feel like my 19 year old pessimistic self was a different person.  I'm much more optimistic about life in general, and I love every day!

When beginning my financial journey I realized that I was once again in need of recognizing that "I'm not perfect, but I can get better from here."  It'll take a while, but I know I will.  That's the confidence I didn't have when I was 19.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2017, 12:26:06 PM »
Oh, Vindicated, I love your story! Thanks for sharing.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2017, 12:52:01 PM »
Spartana, where you been girl? I hope all is okey dokey.

dreadmoose

• Bristles
  • Compounding
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2017, 01:12:35 PM »
Mine has evolved slowly over time.

I used to have dreadlocks, and for my brothers 19th Birthday he ended up at Montana's (a restaurant in Canada) with their special birthday hat (large moose antlers). After one incident not dissimilar to a dog running through a door with a stick too large for his own good he ran home still wearing them, leaving his buddies to sort out a replacement cost with the manager. They mounted it on the wall at home the next week.

About a year later I moved in with him and eventually cut off my dreads (think waist length - but washed daily). Instead of tossing them out (as I fought to do) my friends mounted it to the hat as hair and a beard for the poor shamed fake moose. From that point I was using "thedreadedmoose" for everything I signed up for.

Over the years it's slowly evolved (out of laziness) to dreadmoose.

The end.

Infraredhead

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Infraredhead Art
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2017, 04:14:08 PM »
It was the name of my character when I played World of Warcraft. I ended up using it for many of my handles on forums and my hobby/business. I am a redhead in real life (now with sprinkles of star dust) and obviously a real nerd.

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2017, 11:03:50 AM »
I'm only posting this to show what a fool I am.
My name is actually supposed to be MrDelaney, not MrDelane.

When I finally got around to making an account I made a typo at the worst possible moment, but noticed it right away.  The name was never changed, I didn't want to bother anyone about it since I had just joined and I suppose I just got used to it.

The origin is from a Groucho Marx joke that originated in his autobiography, and is used as a placeholder for anything that is meant to be kept anonymous.

Lan Mandragoran

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2017, 11:36:13 AM »
Lan Mandragoran is the last king of malkieri a nation destroyed by the shadow. Known by the Ariel as aan'allein which means man who fights a one man war, or man alone. He's a side character. He's just a cool char that has a very wry sense of humor and is basically generally awesome acts as kind of a bodyguard for many books until you start to realize who he is.

From the wheel of time ;-P. I'm not very cool lol... named my poor son a fantasy characters name lol.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 11:41:22 AM by Lan Mandragoran »

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2017, 11:49:59 AM »
I always like to have a different username for different forums I frequent. When I got to this one I was kind of stuck. So I took "Think" because that is all I ever do, all the freaking time. And "Um" because that was what I was feeling about how to jazz up the username. So I just went with "Thinkum". Kind of fits.

lemonde

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • A puzzle in progress...
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2017, 01:41:28 PM »
From a newspaper I read fairly regularly.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2017, 03:10:21 PM »
The title of a book that I read as a kid.

Stoic on FIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • This too shall pass.
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2017, 06:21:45 PM »
After over a decade of studying Stoicism and then learning about the concept of financial independence and retiring early I have a burning desire to help others who want to help themselves.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2017, 06:47:35 AM »
 I started with a different name that was a combination of my children's names.
 When I retired I changed it.
BT for "Been There", as in lived frugally, D for Did, as I  did,
"retire"  Been There Did retire.

Vibrissae

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2017, 06:43:12 PM »
Vibrissae = whiskers = mustache. ^_^

So far I only use it on this site.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2017, 09:03:00 PM »
I was an electrician in my past life.  It's the only forum I use a work-related name though, the others are different.

SharkStomper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2017, 05:46:44 AM »
Because it sounded better than WalksonSharks.

RocketSurgeon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2017, 11:42:13 AM »
My Mom says I'm funny.

Lord Cashmoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2017, 11:10:52 PM »
Because I believe we all can be "Lords and Ladies" over our "Empires" of adoring, loving public! (ie: Our stashes of dollah' billz, ya'll!) ...That and I have a passion for period movies that usually involve opulent surroundings, royalty, and candle light.... What! You asked!