Author Topic: Is this forum broken?  (Read 49700 times)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
Is this forum broken?
« on: March 25, 2013, 07:38:13 PM »

I'm routinely having problems with the new forum installation.

It forgets my login info, repeatedly, often within 3 seconds of logging in.

A few days ago (after the big upgrade), I couldn't post until the next morning.  Kept getting a data connection error.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Re: Is this forum broken?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 07:48:20 PM »
I had the same issues for the past week but it seems alright now.

Bigger probs experienced on the main blog site...posts on 23 and 24 March turned up a day after they should have.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 08:29:22 PM »
The "show inread posts" button does not work.  You have to refresh the page to get new posts.  Most of the rest of the problems seem to be resolved.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 08:41:30 PM »
As far as I'm aware, most issues have been resolved as of this morning/afternoon.  Feel free to post any that you continue to experience/observe from here forward.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 08:45:57 PM »
The only problem I am encountering is the one I mentioned.  Clicking on the "Show unread posts..." does not work.  You have to refresh the page to see new posts.  As of this morning, everything else seems to work.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 09:25:18 PM »
I have all kinds of issues when I try to access the forum at work - login issues, plus it isn't current with the posts, whether I'm logged in or not.  I'm on IE there on a PC.  Safari on the Mac at home seems to work fine, as does accessing it via my iPhone (with my FreedomPop!  Yeah, baby!)  I kind of gave up at work, no amount of clearing the cache was working.  I'm not able to participate during the day on here.  Which makes me sad because that is when I have the time to.  :/   

termetgirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 09:27:05 PM »
This morning, when I stopped by to look around, I noticed that I was logged in as someone else. Every link I hit within the bar (home/help/search/profile/etc.) saw me logged in as yet another person....it appeared to be the people who had been most recently active on the forum based on the stats at the bottom of the page. It was pretty weird - I could even see messages in "My Messages". I had to tend to my littles, and the day got away from me so I'm just back now, and the site logged me in as myself, thankfully....(p.s. I'm on a mac using firefox).

directionseeker

• Stubble
    • Let's Retire!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 09:30:01 PM »
So far I only have the database connection error on both place(main site and forum). It seems everything is back to normal now.

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 09:34:43 PM »
I fixed all the forum issues today. We had problems with logging in, attachments, and avatars not being displayed. All is working and back to normal now. Please reply to this thread or message me if you see anything else odd with the forum. Thanks.
Please feel PM with with any site issues. I have been handling System Administrator duties for MMM since mid-March 2013.

Kazimieras

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 10:38:56 PM »
I've had some weird issues with the login cookie being 'stuck' for lack of a better term. The forum would display old posts as new and would also error out when I tried to log out. I've since deleted the cookie and logged back in and it seems to be fine.

mclemme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Jir.dk
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 04:27:15 AM »
All IP addresses seem to get logged as 127.0.0.1 (localhost), seems the PHP is served from behind a reverse proxy (nginx), guessing php-(f)cgi, so the PHP should either use the $_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR'] or fix so that nginx sends PHP the correct heders for it to use the $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] IP.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 04:28:58 AM by mclemme »

webguy

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 11:20:08 AM »
I'm still not able to use the site.  I've cleared caches, tried multiple browsers etc etc..  Here's a screenshot below of when I try accessing mrmoneymustache.com:

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 11:42:44 AM »
I'm still not able to use the site.  I've cleared caches, tried multiple browsers etc etc..

Your DNS is not updated. If you want to manually update it and you're comfortable doing so, OpenDNS' DNS servers are up to date. This is free to use. You can view how to change DNS servers here: https://store.opendns.com/setup/

I hope that helps.
Please feel PM with with any site issues. I have been handling System Administrator duties for MMM since mid-March 2013.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 11:52:44 AM »
The "show inread posts" button does not work.  You have to refresh the page to get new posts.  Most of the rest of the problems seem to be resolved.

This is still not working for me either.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 12:00:39 PM »
And some of my posts aren't showing, and the category pages always look like I haven't viewed any of them before.

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 12:10:53 PM »
All IP addresses seem to get logged as 127.0.0.1 (localhost), seems the PHP is served from behind a reverse proxy (nginx), guessing php-(f)cgi, so the PHP should either use the $_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR'] or fix so that nginx sends PHP the correct heders for it to use the $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] IP.

This should be fixed now.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 12:13:56 PM »
It should not be the responsibility of the readers to clean up the mess.  Transitions should be seamless, especially when orchestrated by a bunch of professional software engineers.  You don't have corporations instructing their customers to update their DNS.  If Bank of America changes their on-line banking page, do they tell you to go to some server to update your DNS?

I use the site and the forums, but it's been very frustrating for the last week.  Non-updating pages, denials for improper credientials, requests to log in or re-register, etc.   I'm not technically savvy and I should not have to be to use an effing website.  Man up, clean up, and let's get back to business.

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 12:17:13 PM »
It should not be the responsibility of the readers to clean up the mess.  Transitions should be seamless, especially when orchestrated by a bunch of professional software engineers.  You don't have corporations instructing their customers to update their DNS.  If Bank of America changes their on-line banking page, do they tell you to go to some server to update your DNS?

I use the site and the forums, but it's been very frustrating for the last week.  Non-updating pages, denials for improper credientials, requests to log in or re-register, etc.   I'm not technically savvy and I should not have to be to use an effing website.  Man up, clean up, and let's get back to business.

I understand your frustrations. But there isn't much I can do to force someone's DNS to update, which is why I suggested the OpenDNS switchover.

We're doing our best to shake out the small issues, and most of them have been resolved. Please have some patience and know that we are working on it every day. In the meantime, please keep reporting problems so that we are aware of everything. Thank you.

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 12:19:15 PM »
And some of my posts aren't showing, and the category pages always look like I haven't viewed any of them before.

Is this still affecting you? It seems to be working for me.

Did you try to log out and clear all cookies and cache, and then log back in?

Please let me know. Thanks.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 12:26:44 PM »
I'm still not able to use the site.  I've cleared caches, tried multiple browsers etc etc..  Here's a screenshot below of when I try accessing mrmoneymustache.com:

In the attached image it looks like you're going to an IP address instead of a DNS name.  Was that on purpose or did a web server somewhere rewrite it to an IP?

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 12:38:58 PM »
Spork asked a great question: are you going directly to www.mrmoneymustache.com and being redirected to the IP address?

Or are you going directly to the IP address?

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 01:22:05 PM »

Is this still affecting you? It seems to be working for me.

Did you try to log out and clear all cookies and cache, and then log back in?

Please let me know. Thanks.

All the issues are still occurring.  Its weird - when I went into the category and clicked on this thread it was as if there were no posts in quite awhile including the ones I posted above - but if I click on the "last post" icon then they are all there.

MountainMan

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 01:26:46 PM »
When I go to the domain name, I see the domain name only, no IP address.  Things are working perfectly on my end: both the forum and the blog.  Thanks for your hard work!

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 02:03:02 PM »
I've been fine at work and at home today... so since it was supposed to be fixed. Thanks for the quick response time. I'm definitely getting addicted to this forum haha.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 02:12:54 PM »
I have to manually refresh the forum page and each individual forum in order to see updated threads.  This happens at multiple computers at home and work.

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 02:22:31 PM »
All the issues are still occurring.  Its weird - when I went into the category and clicked on this thread it was as if there were no posts in quite awhile including the ones I posted above - but if I click on the "last post" icon then they are all there.

What about if you go to https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ and the hold Shift + click refresh in your browser? If you click around, do you still have the same issues?

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 02:23:43 PM »
I have to manually refresh the forum page and each individual forum in order to see updated threads.  This happens at multiple computers at home and work.

I'll ask you the same questions:

What about if you go to https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ and the hold Shift + click refresh in your browser? If you click around, do you still have the same issues?

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2013, 03:35:16 PM »

I'll ask you the same questions:

That does not ix the problem.  I was supposed to hold shift and click refresh, right?  No dice.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2013, 03:45:08 PM »
The blog and forum are still a hot mess for me on the work computer.  I have to empty the cache and delete cookies to see anything new at all, 100% of the time.  Also, I don't stay logged in.  Fix it please! 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2013, 04:07:31 PM »
The blog and forum are still a hot mess for me on the work computer.  I have to empty the cache and delete cookies to see anything new at all, 100% of the time.  Also, I don't stay logged in.  Fix it please!

Some of it may be beyond his ability to fix (might be on your end/with your ISP/their DNS host/etc.), and only time will fix it, or something on your end.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 04:25:21 PM »
Seeing as how it worked fine before this switch, that's not really a good answer.  I suppose it would do me good to not have access to MMM at work, but really, there is an expectation for a site to simply work, if you want visitors.  And this site -  not working, for me, at work.

MMM

• Administrator
  • Stubble
    • Mr. Money Mustache
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 04:28:39 PM »
Another Reader.. I HOPE you're joking with this:

Because otherwise you'd be telling a generous volunteer that he is not doing a good enough job at fixing my forum for you, which costs nothing to use ...  and yet somehow owes something to you? It's like you came into my house, sat down at the dinner table, then started yelling at my wife because you don't like the food.

This blog is a hobby, not a corporation. I am honored that it has grown to be big enough that it is now hard to manage.. and humbled that readers have stepped in to help out. But it is a monumentally complex bit of technology we are running on here, when scaled to this size.. so you can expect plenty more bumps in the future. I look at it as a great learning opportunity.

So let's get back to business.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 08:57:53 AM by MMM »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 04:30:07 PM »
Seeing as how it worked fine before this switch, that's not really a good answer. 

I understand that, but if you understand how stuff has to propagate on the Internet, you'll see the changes may just not have "reached" your computer yet. (A simplified explanation, but essentially correct.)

There may not necessarily be a solution besides to wait, there could literally be nothing for him to do to fix it, because it already is fixed, you just aren't seeing it yet.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 04:45:14 PM »
Ayup, I had the other issue as well that did update and change back here and at home.  But the work computer isn't just looking odd, I can't use it here.  I'll wait and see how it goes I guess.  Not knocking volunteers, just giving feedback.  :)  KG has fallen off the ship! 

TLV

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2013, 04:46:15 PM »
I've been seeing some symptoms that no one has mentioned yet, so I'll describe them in case it's a different problem.

I type in "mrmoneymustache.com/forum" in the address bar in chrome. After about 30 seconds, it comes up with "page not found", but the address bar now says "http://mrmoneymustache.com:8080/forum/". I change 8080 to 80 and hit enter, and it works.

Probably just another DNS propagation issue, but I'm not familiar enough with it to know for sure.

It's interesting in this thread to see how many people take the Internet for granted. Things don't "just work" without a lot of work and a bit of luck. And yes, even major corporations sometimes have glitches like this, despite having dozens or hundreds of paid IT people instead of a couple retirees and a volunteer.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2013, 06:28:01 PM »
I've been seeing some symptoms that no one has mentioned yet, so I'll describe them in case it's a different problem.

I type in "mrmoneymustache.com/forum" in the address bar in chrome. After about 30 seconds, it comes up with "page not found", but the address bar now says "http://mrmoneymustache.com:8080/forum/". I change 8080 to 80 and hit enter, and it works.

Probably just another DNS propagation issue, but I'm not familiar enough with it to know for sure.

It's interesting in this thread to see how many people take the Internet for granted. Things don't "just work" without a lot of work and a bit of luck. And yes, even major corporations sometimes have glitches like this, despite having dozens or hundreds of paid IT people instead of a couple retirees and a volunteer.

side observation:  that's not DNS.  DNS is only name-> IP mapping.  It's like a phone book for the internet.  mrmoneymoustache.com and mrmoneymoustache.com:8080 are the same name.  (Not involved here...  Just a geek that's done his share of DNS for > 20 years.)

DebtDerp

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2013, 10:37:25 PM »

You need another '/' after '/forum' so you should type in 'mrmoneymustache.com/forum/'

One of my bookmarks had it without the '/' and didn't work after the migration but works fine with the ending '/'. Hope that helps :)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2013, 05:48:31 AM »
Because otherwise you'd be telling a generous volunteer that he is not doing a good enough job at fixing my forum for you, which costs nothing to use ...  and yet somehow owes something to you? It's like you came into my house, sat down at the dinner table, then started yelling at my wife because you don't like the food.

I'll just say "Thanks for the site, the food is delicious."

webguy

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2013, 07:09:33 AM »

In the attached image it looks like you're going to an IP address instead of a DNS name.  Was that on purpose or did a web server somewhere rewrite it to an IP?

Spork asked a great question: are you going directly to www.mrmoneymustache.com and being redirected to the IP address?

Or are you going directly to the IP address?

I'm going to mrmoneymustache.com and being redirected to the IP address.  I'm also having the same problem as TLV - when I go to mrmoneymustache.com/forum it comes up with mrmoneymustache.com:8080/forum/.  Things are working fine on my home computer, just not on my network at work.

I appreciate the complexities of getting issues ironed out and so cheers Kevin for giving up your time to help make this site even more awesome!

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2013, 07:35:11 AM »
I'm going to mrmoneymustache.com and being redirected to the IP address.  I'm also having the same problem as TLV - when I go to mrmoneymustache.com/forum it comes up with mrmoneymustache.com:8080/forum/.  Things are working fine on my home computer, just not on my network at work.

I appreciate the complexities of getting issues ironed out and so cheers Kevin for giving up your time to help make this site even more awesome!

If you are being redirected to an IP, that is certainly a case of your DNS provider (most likely your ISP) being slow to update DNS for the site.

Let me ask you this: does the forum also have the IP in the address bar, or does it say mmm.com/forum/ ?

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2013, 10:38:58 AM »

Tried it but didn't work.

Kazimieras

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2013, 12:10:38 PM »
@kworthington
I kept a browser on another computer with the old "forvever" cookie (before the site was moved). The symptom that this browser is showing is that when you first go to the forum, it shows the date and time as it should be. However, when I look at "show new replies to your posts" or "show unread posts since last visit" the date on the forum jumps back 2-3 days to when the cookie was last updated. At least I think the problem is the cookie.

Another related symptom that may help you troubleshoot is if it is one of these problematic comptuers, if you hit logout, a session error occurs and it actually refuses to log you out. If you try again, it logs you out, but after logging in you end up with the old date and time (in my case March 25th, 2013, 11:24am) (note is it now March 27th, 2013, 12:07:13pm as of this writing).

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2013, 01:39:03 PM »
@kworthington
I kept a browser on another computer with the old "forvever" cookie (before the site was moved). The symptom that this browser is showing is that when you first go to the forum, it shows the date and time as it should be. However, when I look at "show new replies to your posts" or "show unread posts since last visit" the date on the forum jumps back 2-3 days to when the cookie was last updated. At least I think the problem is the cookie.

Another related symptom that may help you troubleshoot is if it is one of these problematic comptuers, if you hit logout, a session error occurs and it actually refuses to log you out. If you try again, it logs you out, but after logging in you end up with the old date and time (in my case March 25th, 2013, 11:24am) (note is it now March 27th, 2013, 12:07:13pm as of this writing).

I think that clearing all cookies and cache is not a bad idea for anyone, at least post-migration to the new server.

Can you please attach a screenshot here the next time you see the session error? Also, which browser? And Mac/PC?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2013, 04:59:47 PM »
Given all the mention and discussion regarding DNS caching being partially responsible for many people's continued technical problems, I thought it might be of use to post a link to an article to help clarify what's going on for some of you less knowledgeable and how to potentially force an update on your system if needed and available.

How to Flush DNS

Good article, but visit with your adblocker running. :)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2013, 05:20:22 PM »
That gets local DNS.... but depending on the TTL of the original record it can still be cached at the recursive DNS server.  Unless you are geeky enough to be running your own DNS server (hi) you won't be able to flush that.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2013, 05:29:42 PM »
True, but it's worth tossing in just to eliminate the additional failure point. Plus, the article's educational in helping others understand why the DNS changes could break things.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2013, 05:53:56 PM »
I have had terrible performance with OpenDNS in the past and Google's are a decent backup solution: 8.8.8.8.

Pretty easy to remember.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2013, 09:51:27 PM »
Things seem to be working better.  Noticed a more subtle problem.

The show unread posts link doesn't seem to update properly, but the built-in browser refresh does.  I saw someone else reported that.

What I just noticed is that the unread posts page will show new entries to a thread I've already read.  I'll open that thread to read the new entries and they won't be there.  Unless I then use the built-in browser refresh button...

Maybe some of the caching settings need to be reviewed?   (I haven't changed my browser, so it shouldn't be my settings...)

Kazimieras

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2013, 12:08:39 PM »

I think that clearing all cookies and cache is not a bad idea for anyone, at least post-migration to the new server.

Can you please attach a screenshot here the next time you see the session error? Also, which browser? And Mac/PC?

I can't get the error to replicate anymore (this is good). It was IE10 on a Windows 7 PC. There is a rather elaborate firewall between me and the net which may have further complicated things for me. If I see anything weird again, I'll send all the data your way.

kworthington

• Systems Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Systems Admin for MMM
    • Kevin Worthington
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2013, 03:25:29 PM »
I can't get the error to replicate anymore (this is good). It was IE10 on a Windows 7 PC. There is a rather elaborate firewall between me and the net which may have further complicated things for me. If I see anything weird again, I'll send all the data your way.

Much appreciated. Thanks.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!