Author Topic: Is it Possible to Quit "Wal-Marting"?  (Read 38510 times)

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
Re: Is it Possible to Quit "Wal-Marting"?
« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2015, 06:38:20 AM »
Oh, and I forgot to mention that my favorite grocery hack doesn't work at Walmart, Aldi, Sams, or Costco...That's my 6% cash back Amex.  I get 6% cash back on all groceries.  For the record, Meijer is registered as "Grocery".  I love getting 6% cash back on everything they sell.  That's on top of the sales, paper coupons, digital coupons, etc.  Good on everything from diapers to booze to video games.

Whoa...wait a minute. You REALLY rack it up at Meijer man...AND the Amex 6% works there....wow. So is there a way to know beforehand what places work and what places don't? A list on an Amex website or something?

FarmerPete

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2015, 08:15:48 AM »
Pretty much all grocery stores that take Amex.  They do exclude Walmart, Target, and bulk stores like Costco/Sams (not that you can use Amex at either of those anyways).  If it's too small of a store, they might not have it coded as grocery.  I don't know of a good way to find for sure that a specific store will code as grocery without trying it.  I figure that it gives 1% cash back on everything, so it's still worth using over a debit card.  My Fidelity Amex gives 2% on everything, so I tend to use that if I know it wont code as grocery.  Kroger should be good.  I don't know if a SuperKroger is any different.  You can probably google it and get some anecdotal evidence.  When I got my 6% cash back Amex, it had a $150 signup bonus, so I figured that even if I didn't keep it long term, it was worth testing it out for a year or two. 

I hear good things about the Sallie Mae Mastercard.  It does 5% cash back on Groceries, Gas, and Books (Amazon codes as books!!!).  There is no annual fee.  The only downside is that there is a $250 cap on the 5% rewards for Groceries and a separate $250 cap on Gas.  My monthly spend is ~$350 at Meijer and ~$150 in gas currently.  That card could save me ($250*.05)+($100*.01)+($150*.05)=$21 per month or $252 annually.  My Amex earns me $350*.06+150*.03=$25.5 or $306.  Unfortunately, the $95 annual fee drops my earn down to $211.  Thus the Sallie Mae card would be better for me.  The reason I haven't switched is because of the $150 sign up bonus I got which covers my annual fee for almost 2 years.  I also plan on using it to do some Manufactured Spending, which I can't really do with the SM card.

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2015, 08:58:34 AM »
Walmart seems to serve as a social hub in the two small towns near me that have one.  In fact, I quit going to Walmart more than ten years ago because of this.  I could not enter the store, buy an item or two, and then leave. It seemed that everyone from my son's sports team, my son's school, etc. congregated in Walmart.  In fact, my dentist complained that he could not go into Walmart without someone asking him to take a look in their mouth! 

Is Target any better?  It is a longer drive for me, located in a city where I occasionally run other errands.  I go to Target maybe twice a year.  In fact, I just went on Sunday morning for shower curtain liners, paper products, etc.  I also make the occasional trip to Kohls for socks and boxers for my husband.  Kohls drives me crazy with their pricing schemes and "Kohl's cash"--lots of pretend savings there.

None of the big boxes are enticing to me. Ugh.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2015, 09:29:17 AM »
Oh sorry,  didn't mean it was your personal thing.   Have a bike and my mom passed away recently.     So here is my favorite Wal Mart hack.     On earlier Monday mornings cruise the meat department.  There is often a huge mark down on choice cuts of meat.   It seems they put the nicer cuts out on Fridays and if not bought on the weekend they discount them heavily Monday to move them.    It appears Jesus has blessed me with a very pleasant, well stocked Wal Mart.  I will pray for the others.  Lol

Well, sorry about your mother, we are getting that age man. (I see you have yours in your profile, I guess that's relevant info here...I'll consider doing same...) THANK YOU for the meats tip! I've had terrible luck buying meats - no matter where I go. So I'll try and see if it works.

Don't pray to Jesus, go down to headquarters and tell them to put a store like that in Wake Forest, NC and then make sure they train the employees to do their job better. There's a new Sham's Krubb going in near that store, maybe we could hope for a big 'ol renovation.
[/quote]

You know if Wal-Mart was smart they would read this thread.   You could probably copy the link and send it to someone with minor authority at Bentonville.  That may be the best proactive thing we could do.   You could ask them if they want additional feedback and if so we could do a post on Wal Mart Vice President wants feedback.

So I think we as the Mustache community could end up having an impact on the shopping experience if we played it right.

So here is a link -- https://corporate.walmart.com/contact-us/store-corporate-feedback   That is a generic form but if you poke around you might find an actual contact person that would take the time to read through this link

One would think that a store focused on providing products inexpensively would be interested in interacting with the MMM community. 

Let us know if you get any traction. 

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2015, 01:06:07 PM »
The only thing I get at Walmart is oil. They have, like, every motor oil I care about, and their prices on it are fantastic. I've been to straight up auto parts stores that don't carry synthetic 10W-30, let alone the kind of synthetic 10W-30 I want. It seems most new cars that take 30-weight want 5W-30 or 0W-30. Mine can run on it, sure, but the damn cap specifically says 10W-30, so I get annoyed when auto stores don't have it.

Frugalite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2015, 09:27:31 PM »
Since I have started couponing I almost never have to go to Wal-mart. I used to shop at Aldi's for food and Walmart for toiletries, but now that I coupon I can get most of these items for free or almost free at Walgreens, CVS, or Target since they have their own coupons to stack on the manufacturer coupons.

Walmart will begrudgingly accept manufacturer coupons but they have no store-specific coupons or member-card bonuses so there is less chance of getting things free there. I don't miss that place at all.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
~
« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2015, 05:25:44 AM »
I determined that Supervalu was the best for my brand of peanut butter because the "large jar" was $4.59 while Target had it for $5.29. Only Target's "large jar" was 50 oz while Supervalu's was 32 oz.

Umm...that means that the Supervalu pb is ~$.14/oz and the Target pb is ~$.10/oz. So the Target stuff is cheaper, not SV.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2015, 05:41:00 AM »
I find Walmart to be a slightly more expensive (and lower quality) version of Costco.

Costco sells everything at 12% or less over wholesale cost.  You can consistently beat this number between grocery store sales and coupons, but you really have to be on top of your game with price per oz/pound.  Some you can beat Costco on because other stores carry loss leaders or Aldi has a decent comparable, product, then other things are just damn near impossible.

The reason Costco has become the #2 retailer in the country is their members don't feel like they're ripped off.  If you're too busy to comparison shop hard, you know you're getting the product for 12% or less over cost.

greenshade

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2015, 06:11:26 AM »
I also do not shop *at* Walmart, but I personally find Walmart.com to be a good value. I have found the same products from Amazon at Walmart online for less, or often a cheaper alternative. I absolutely hate returning products through the mail, and with my order from Walmart I can just walk into a store and return items with no hassle, They also have free shipping. This is also primarily how I shop at Target. There is never any merchandise on the shelves at my area big box stores. For groceries I shop Kroger, Costco, and Trader Joes.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
Re: ~
« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2015, 07:39:18 AM »
I determined that Supervalu was the best for my brand of peanut butter because the "large jar" was $4.59 while Target had it for $5.29. Only Target's "large jar" was 50 oz while Supervalu's was 32 oz.

Umm...that means that the Supervalu pb is ~$.14/oz and the Target pb is ~$.10/oz. So the Target stuff is cheaper, not SV.

Yes, I know. That's why the words immediately prefacing the section you chose to quote were "be careful about unit pricing". I was referring to the fact that I didn't write down the units, I just wrote down "large jar", and it wasn't until I was home with the "large" Supervalu jar that I realized the size difference. It was meant to be a warning for others.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2015, 09:12:05 AM »
I just two my bi-annual trip to Walmart to get some things that either aren't carried elsewhere or are such a better price that I can't justify getting them anywhere else.

Yup, our Walmart still sucks. It's almost like they try to figure out how to provide the worst customer experience possible.

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2015, 08:42:41 PM »
I've never had a bad enough experience at Walmart (as compared to other box stores) that I would stop shopping there.

I don't care about their HR or healthcare, etc. policies. 

People choose to work there freely.  Don't like it, go to Tar-get, which just announced all employees will get $9/hr min.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
Re: ~
« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2015, 06:28:48 PM »

Yes, I know. That's why the words immediately prefacing the section you chose to quote were "be careful about unit pricing". I was referring to the fact that I didn't write down the units, I just wrote down "large jar", and it wasn't until I was home with the "large" Supervalu jar that I realized the size difference. It was meant to be a warning for others.

Okay, I just read it wrong, then! Carry on...

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2015, 07:10:44 PM »
We don't shop there for  reasons:
1. Their culture, treatment of employees is absolutely abhorrent (and that's coming from an evil HR person!)
So- for clothes- we do consignment and/or goodwill and/or Amazon...

I guess I would point out that Amazon doesn't have a great track record for employee treatment (warehouses especially) or pay either. Many of the big box stores or chains don't really pay people a living wage. Just sayin'

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
« Reply #114 on: March 23, 2015, 12:25:47 AM »
Ok, I am going to stick up for Wal-Mart/Sams. They allow overnight parking in *most* stores. Costco does not. Target does not. For that reason I do the bulk of my shopping at Wal-Mart/Sams.

I do find that there are so many stores around the country I almost never have to drive out of my way to find one to park for the night. But, when there aren't any, I just find somewhere else to park. I don't drive out of my way.

As far as their products go... use judgement. Never really had a problem with any food item. I always buy SuperTech Oil, 10.84 a gallon today when I changed it (15w-40 diesel).  I never buy clothes at Walmart. Sometimes at Sams... Recently went to Walgreens for something. It was $20. At Walmart it was $15. Same brand, same product. Walgreens had a different product (Walgreens brand Salicylic Acid for Corns) for $6.99. Exact same packaging, exact same product (Equate), $1.79 at Walmart.

I have also found many items that are overpriced. Electronics compared to eBay/Amazon... etc.

I have never been grossly mis-charged. Sometimes an item rings up different than the sticker... but if I catch it, they will correct it. Customer Service always takes a bit.

Self Checkout is not a good idea with more than a few items...

YMMV

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: March 23, 2015, 03:36:26 AM »
I am Australian so we don't have walmart but we have "discount department stores" like Kmart. I go one or two times a year. The main reason I would go was for household stuff (towels, plates etc) but now I just go to Ikea as it's about the same price and better quality. My local supermarket caters for most other items (food, household etc) and I tend to go to an AutoZone equivalent for car stuff as I tend to need advice not just oil! I work in an office where Wal-Mart wouldn't cut it so wait for the twice yearly sales at our equivalent of Macy's. I also go to a discount drugstore which I pass on my way into work which is cheaper for than Kmart for makeup, toiletries etc.

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2015, 06:23:09 AM »
I go to Walmart frequently because it is cheaper than the grocery and there are some things I can't get at Aldi that I need for recipes.  Walmart is close to my house, but I have noticed lately how the shoppers at this location are appearing older and poorer than a few years ago.  It is not a big deal but I am surprised it was so noticeable.  It is not my demographic and I fit in more at the Aldi across the street.  Weird.

Bad customer service can happen anywhere.  On average it pops up now and then. 

My trouble w Walmart is it feels exhausting to park, get through the store and get out.  I am losing energy for shopping.

I have also wondered what it would be like to live only on awalmart for a year. I think I could do it and live well doing it too.  But it's not necessary. 

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2015, 06:29:11 AM »
Going to Costco would be a huge drive for me, there is a higher class Walmart a few more miles away, but it's more travel. I will totally check out that Monday meet Aisle thing. Thanks for the tip.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #118 on: March 23, 2015, 08:54:18 AM »
True story --- My 13 year old daughter says to me -  "What are we going to do this weekend?"   I say,  "I don't know."  She says "Can we go hang out at Wal-Mart?"   Small town rural life has pretty limited entertainment options.     I said no.   So we ended up for our first "hanging out at the river on the gravel bar" Sunday this year. 

I highly recommend hanging out at the gravel bar on the river as a cheap and fun activity.  We are a river rat family with 3 kayaks and a canoe so we float a lot but sometimes we just like hanging near the low water bridge.   The sun was out,  72 degrees,  water very cold but the kids and I still jumped in and out.   Folding chairs,  portable music, rock hunting and a few cold beverages with homemade sandwiches.   For like $12 in food and drinks we entertained four kids ages 3-13 for 5 hours.      Found a very cool petrified vertebrate of some sort.  Even got a little sun bathed.  Good times.   

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2015, 09:03:46 AM »
She says "Can we go hang out at Wal-Mart?"   Small town rural life has pretty limited entertainment options.

I wonder how much "people mindlessly buying shit because, since downtown was destroyed, hanging out at Wal-Mart is the only thing left to do" adds to Wal-Mart's bottom line...

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2015, 10:55:05 AM »
She says "Can we go hang out at Wal-Mart?"   Small town rural life has pretty limited entertainment options.

I wonder how much "people mindlessly buying shit because, since downtown was destroyed, hanging out at Wal-Mart is the only thing left to do" adds to Wal-Mart's bottom line...

My guess would be that number is huge.   Probably equal the GDP of most countries.   

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2015, 03:57:17 PM »

I highly recommend hanging out at the gravel bar on the river as a cheap and fun activity.  We are a river rat family with 3 kayaks and a canoe so we float a lot but sometimes we just like hanging near the low water bridge.   The sun was out,  72 degrees,  water very cold but the kids and I still jumped in and out.   Folding chairs,  portable music, rock hunting and a few cold beverages with homemade sandwiches.   For like $12 in food and drinks we entertained four kids ages 3-13 for 5 hours.      Found a very cool petrified vertebrate of some sort.  Even got a little sun bathed.  Good times.   

This sounds SO GREAT, @Bob W! I love, love, love family days like these!

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2015, 08:08:59 AM »

This sounds SO GREAT, @Bob W! I love, love, love family days like these!

Yes,  these are good times around here.   It was the first "river day"  in a long, long time!

On a thread related note --

MSN put up a post about the nations largest employers by state. 

Wal-Mart was not only the only employer to garner more than one state but was the largest in 20 states!  Universities and Healthcare equaled 23 states.   Strangely I saw nothing on state employees or the school systems.   I'm pretty sure that Missouri state has a hell of a lot of employees and if we counted all the schools as a single employer that would be a rather large number.

I can't decide if I'm sadder that Wal-Mart ranks so high or the fact that the majority of employees are public employees.  The dichotomy of these two sectors is rather incredible indeed.   Public employees by and large receive nice salaries,  pensions,  nice health plans,  generous vacation days,  short working cycles till retirement,  standard hours etc.    While Wal-Mart employees receive low wages,  no pensions,  few vacation days,  poor health insurance,  weird and ever changing shifts and no real retirement.   

jat9449

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2015, 09:16:28 AM »
Oooh...I have a good Wal-Mart story. My husband worked in the Tire department when we were in college. One day he cut his hand on a vehicle somehow and there was a lot of blood. He started feeling woozy and wanted to go to the ER. They told him if he left work they were going to write him up....WTF?!? He was so poor at the time that he couldn't afford to lose his job. So he just went into the bathroom to recover and bleed for awhile.

We refuse to shop there. 

TheOldestYoungMan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2015, 01:51:15 PM »
Penn and Teller had a bit on walmart hate on their Bull*hit show.

"I refuse to shop at the only place that would hire you, because you deserve more of whatever than they are willing to provide.  I'd much rather you couldn't find work at all."  -what walmart hate sounds like

There's a bunch of stuff that they sell at the absolute lowest price.  This is a net good thing for most people.  The pressure they put on manufacturers to provide goods at a lower price has all sorts of negative externalities.  Some of these they try to deal with, others we can try to pressure walmart with our buying habits.

"I don't care how cheap it is, I'm not going to buy this crap."

But how they treat their employees?  It's not the employer of choice, it's not the only place to work.  If you don't like it there, go find another job.  If you can't get another job, it isn't because walmart drove the competition out of business, it's because you aren't that great an employee.  Be grateful walmart has provided this opportunity to rehabilitate your reputation, build a work history, and eventually move up out of retail oblivion.

Every minimum wage based job sucks.  That's sorta the whole point of the minimum wage.  This employer would love to pay you less!  They are being forced to pay you at least this.  If you were worth it they would pay more, but you are not.  Only you can fix that.  They are hiring you for this job because it sucks.  Money isn't the issue, they need someone who is desperate for any kind of job for economic and skill deficit reasons, and perhaps other employ-ability issues as well.  So the jobs suck.

Some of them would be better if the money was better.  Most would still be awful.  You'd need to pay the supervisors and managers way better too.  Every crappy minimum wage job I ever had was bad because of who I worked for, not what I was earning.  The first step up from minimum wage was bad because it was uncomfortable or dangerous.  The next step up was back to minimum wage but comfy and safe and with a decent boss.  Then I had skills and an education, so the pay went way up, but the boss sucked again.

I never worked for walmart, but I can remember whining the same things I hear walmart people whining about.  It's air-conditioned, indoor work, where the job doesn't require you to put your life on the line, and the employer makes an honest effort to pay you for your time.

I could, today, probably get a walmart greeter job somewhere in the country.
If tomorrow they started paying walmart greeters 100k/yr, I probably couldn't.  I'm not as experienced as alot of the professional walmart greeters who are already there, and frankly, you don't want someone who is doing that job solely for the money.  Today I could get the job, but tomorrow, I couldn't.  As soon as the wage hits a certain point, the competition for the job means I can no longer get it.

Walmart has a job it will let you do today.  You can't say that about every company.  If you need work, walmart is a great company.  Once you have work, it might seem like they're the worst company.  From the perspective of moving up in life, they probably are.  But that's only because the world is so awesome.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #125 on: March 24, 2015, 04:03:21 PM »
I disagree with Penn and Teller (wouldn't it really be Penn?) on many points. There is a lot of very accessible evidence to support how I feel on that, but it's not just a one line answer. My answers don't all have to do with Walmart, but I think Walmart is just adding fuel to the continues cycle of BS in the US. Especially the "just go and get another job" idea. Not really valid for a lot of people, but easy for successful people to say (they're doing car commercials now).

In the end, the crux of the biscuit for me is that I feel that the largest company by revenue in the world, and largest employer in the US should be providing for it's employees. If you qualify for foodstamps while working, I don't think you're making enough money. I don't think Wmart employees should be making a million dollars a year, but come on.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #126 on: March 24, 2015, 11:03:37 PM »
Every minimum wage based job sucks.  That's sorta the whole point of the minimum wage.  This employer would love to pay you less!  They are being forced to pay you at least this.  If you were worth it they would pay more, but you are not.  Only you can fix that.  They are hiring you for this job because it sucks.  Money isn't the issue, they need someone who is desperate for any kind of job for economic and skill deficit reasons, and perhaps other employ-ability issues as well.  So the jobs suck.
Walmart has a job it will let you do today.  You can't say that about every company.  If you need work, walmart is a great company.  Once you have work, it might seem like they're the worst company.  From the perspective of moving up in life, they probably are.  But that's only because the world is so awesome.

Holy Crap I think I agree with everything you said. And, I think you actually explained how I got into the predicament I got into - and why I truly needed to escalate to the highest manager-on-duty to get the problem solved.

And, why I couldn't get the floor manager in the second instance to honor the warranty....thanks, thanks for that opinion, I believe it truly does explain the troubles I got into.

Now, I STILL am doing my "homework", because it's my responsibility to optimize cash flow and value/dollar.

I really do appreciate the participation from all and I like the way this thread is turning out, even though it's gone where I really didn't expect it to.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 11:06:01 PM by mefla »

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2015, 08:25:06 AM »
Another great experience for me last night at Wal-Mart last night!       Small town supercenter.

Wife's car battery dead.   I call Wal at about 6ish.  "are you open for batteries?"    "Get here before 7"     I arrive in the pouring rain thinking that no one would come out in this.   Bays are packed.   

Man behind counter ---  Let me talk to the boss man  ---  Boss man  "you the one that called?"   "I'll work you in"

My battery placement on the Ford Escape is impossible.  It is halfway under the dash and virtually inaccessible.    I went out while they worked on it and joked with the service guy.   

The counter guy and boss man were both Vietnam Vets.    Counter guy 58, says her retired twice already but came to work a Wal-Mart because he had to do something.    I remember that Wal-Mart has a pro vet hiring policy.  Both men are very nice to me,  solve my problem.

I drive away happy to know our car will start in the morning.   Did a little grocery shopping while there and checked out the tablets and TVs.   Had a nice tab with a key board for $145 that I will probably buy in the future. 

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #128 on: March 25, 2015, 07:47:19 PM »
Another great experience for me last night at Wal-Mart last night!       Small town supercenter.
The counter guy and boss man were both Vietnam Vets.    Counter guy 58, says her retired twice already but came to work a Wal-Mart because he had to do something.    I remember that Wal-Mart has a pro vet hiring policy.  Both men are very nice to me,  solve my problem.

I drive away happy to know our car will start in the morning.   Did a little grocery shopping while there and checked out the tablets and TVs.   Had a nice tab with a key board for $145 that I will probably buy in the future.

Lordy Bob you must live in Heaven, USA....I am honestly envious.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2015, 07:58:50 PM »

Lordy Bob you must live in Heaven, USA....I am honestly envious.
thanks for reminding me to count my blessings!     

TheBuddha

• Stubble
« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2015, 10:09:28 PM »
I'll shop WalMart when I'm on the road (truck driver) because I can park my rig there and get everything I need in one place.

But otherwise, whenever possible I shop at:

• Grocery Outlet
  • Big Lots
  • 99 cents only

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2015, 07:12:57 PM »
I'll shop WalMart when I'm on the road (truck driver) because I can park my rig there and get everything I need in one place.

• Grocery Outlet
  • Big Lots
  • 99 cents only

So wait a minute - I've seen several comments about parking in this thread. So, is getting to park overnight at a Wal-Mart really "A Thing"?

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2015, 08:02:31 PM »

TheBuddha

• Stubble
« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2015, 08:16:35 PM »

• Grocery Outlet
  • Big Lots
  • 99 cents only

So wait a minute - I've seen several comments about parking in this thread. So, is getting to park overnight at a Wal-Mart really "A Thing"?

It depends on the Walmart. Usually RVs are okay. For trucks it's hit or miss.

I recently tried to part at a Walmart near Salt Lake City. I'd looked it up, and the satellite photos showed multiple trucks in the parking lot, so I figured it was okay. But when I got there, there were concrete barriers and "no truck parking" signs everywhere. I guess they got tired of the trucks. (I don't blame them.)

However if you drive truck for Walmart, you are allowed to park at any Walmart across the country. It's like they have their own private, national truck stop network. It's pretty cool.

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
« Reply #134 on: March 31, 2015, 03:30:40 PM »
Regrading parking overnight at Walmart/Sams. I have been doing it for years.

Don't stay very long. 3 nights would be a long time. (I have been there longer, never more than a week)

Trucks have more issues than RVs (especially small RVs). Though lots of Walmarts do allow truck parking.

Some are strict about no overnight parking. A lot of times though, even if there are signs... if you are discreet, they don't come out and ask you to move.

Obviously keep everything clean. I try and always park along a grassy area, it makes for a nice buffer.

I do about 30 states a year. Never paid for a campground. It is really the only reason I can do what I do. If I was paying for parking... Not a lot of excess money available at the small venues I play for.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #135 on: April 01, 2015, 09:02:59 AM »
Regrading parking overnight at Walmart/Sams. I have been doing it for years.

Don't stay very long. 3 nights would be a long time. (I have been there longer, never more than a week)

Trucks have more issues than RVs (especially small RVs). Though lots of Walmarts do allow truck parking.

Some are strict about no overnight parking. A lot of times though, even if there are signs... if you are discreet, they don't come out and ask you to move.

Obviously keep everything clean. I try and always park along a grassy area, it makes for a nice buffer.

I do about 30 states a year. Never paid for a campground. It is really the only reason I can do what I do. If I was paying for parking... Not a lot of excess money available at the small venues I play for.

That is very cool Brian!   To think people are paying big bucks to park their RVs next to other RVs at RV parks.   What kind of camper or RV do you have?  I have seen a few small RVs and the occasional truck camper type at Wal Mart, but to be honest I rarely see them.   

Free is a great price!   

So for a mustachian interested in dirt cheap travel and living on virtually nothing,  a person could buy a small used, fuel efficient pick-up, throw a used inexpensive camper shell on there and drive from Wal Mart to Wal Mart across the country.   Free parking,  figure gas at $15 a day and $5 for food/misc and we are talking living on under 7K per year.     

I have been told that Corp of Engineers parks are required to have a free camping area (usually primitive of the track).   

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: April 01, 2015, 07:04:50 PM »
My first years of ER when I get there is to do something like that. I'd expect I'd be driving my outback still, fold down the back seat and put a futon mattress on one side and sleep in it. I have a planet fitness membership so I'd just go there to workout and shower. Do laundry at a coin store along the way. I may stay a night or two a week at a motel for a real bed. But I won't do it full time, more like a week or two road trips until my next location. I'll put the plan into action as I get closer to ER and take on the travel jobs. This current govt job roped me into staying long enough to at least vest in the FERS pension :S and I kind of like the job from what I've seen so far.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 07:07:05 PM by eyem »

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
« Reply #137 on: April 02, 2015, 12:25:54 AM »
What kind of camper or RV do you have?   

Bob, This is a long answer. I am not sure I should post in this thread, but here goes... This dates back to when I was a kid.

We have done a few things. We started out with 4 people (family) then last year just my brother and I traveled. So our first RV was a 1982 34' Airstream that my dad bought when I was very young (I think 3) We lived in Mexico in the winters in that until we bought a sailboat. The Airstream made 16 trips, with 2 times to Guatemala. In 2004 my brother and I were getting older, so we bought a truck camper (1993 Hallmark 8.5') and my parents went from sleeping on the front couch (makes into a double bed) to a queen over the cab of the truck. In 2008 we sold the 1982 and bought a 1983, exact same model (34' triple axle) that had spent its life in an RV park (it still had the original tires on it) for 12k. The '82 had over 250k miles and although it had held up very well, it was getting tired.

Last year we were only 2 people so we left the Airstream in back of my house and just drive the truck and camper.

For trucks we have used 2. In 1996 we rebuilt a wrecked 1991 Dodge Cummins. We made it into a club cab and as kids we would ride on a little seat in the back. Then in 2005 we bought another 1991, this time it had been extended into a full 4 door crew cab. It had issues and the day after we bought it the transmission froze in 5th gear. So we parked it and bought a van. Which we drove behind. The next year we rebuilt the transmission, replaced the entire cab, and repaired the broken frame. I have since rebuilt the transmission a second time. Plus numerous other repairs. But never touched the motor. It still runs great, at 458k miles. If you can believe it, I get 20+ mpg with the camper. And 15+ with the whole rig (one 300 mile trip we got 16.9) To be fair it is a slow operation, I just drove from Houston to Pensacola, and then to West Palm Beach, FL. I passed a total of ONE vehicle. The truck likes 57-60 mph.

I found a photo of the rig, and then just the camper. I will attach it, for anyone that is interested. The rig is parked in the photo along side the Walmart in Cedar Rapids, IA in 2008.

As far as spending goes... We drive a LOT. In the last 4 days I have driven 1500 miles. If you take out fuel, or at least excess fuel, the lifestyle is very inexpensive. Food... about 10 gallons of propane a month, more if you want hot water all the time... We get water from Flying J or sometimes Walmart has a faucet. sanidumps lists all the RV dump stations and generally we can find one for free. We have a 327 watt solar panel with 2 batteries, I never run the generator unless I need A/C.

I am working on figuring out exactly what I spend a month. Probably ~500 on fuel, some months more... and 1,000 on non fuel items. You could cut down on this a lot if you weren't driving 3k miles a month.

I do find that because I am always at Walmart/Sams, I never buy very much, and if I am away for a few days, it is a major pain to go to the store, since I normally just walk in.

-Brian (writing from Fort Myers, FL... parked at Walmart)

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #138 on: April 02, 2015, 08:38:33 AM »
Thanks for that Brian!

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #139 on: April 02, 2015, 09:13:01 AM »
What kind of camper or RV do you have?   

Bob, This is a long answer. I am not sure I should post in this thread, but here goes... This dates back to when I was a kid.
...(great stuff here)...
-Brian (writing from Fort Myers, FL... parked at Walmart)

Please, please do post in this thread. I've read everything posted by everyone to this thread and I'm thankful for how well it's gone - thankful for everything written.  I got what I came here for (new realizations about Wal-mart) and it's interesting to see where it goes afterward. GuitarBrian, I'm humbled that you see fit to visit the thread during your travels, when internet is not a free-flowing luxury.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: April 02, 2015, 09:55:34 AM »
We've been able to replace some of our Walmart trips with Meijer trips, but Walmart is still about 40% (with Krogers being 50%) of our grocery trips.  I've tried Aldi's but have been very disappointed.  Not a fan of Costco, just not cost effective by the time we have to drive there and buy more than we need, etc.  All our nearby local-owned stores are out of business now, so I can't help them out.  :-(

As far as online shopping, only specialty items from specialty sites.  Amazon is on my banned list.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: April 05, 2015, 07:45:55 AM »
When i lived in the usa pretty much all the food at the local walmart was unhealthy.... long term i can't see how eating that  much junk could be economical in a country where you pay your own health care costs? I mean unless you seriously stick to just the limited range of fruit, veggies, rice and palin flour.... in which case you might be RE already in order to find time to cook everything 100% from scratch and be creative with that little choice? Urghh...

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: April 05, 2015, 07:47:20 AM »
If you have bashas  (it might only exisit in Arizona) that was healthier and cheaper with more choice :)

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #143 on: April 05, 2015, 08:09:40 AM »
Without reading this entire thread, I don't shop at WM and haven't for 9+ years.

Mainly because of how poorly they treat their employees and their other unsavory practices.

If they would change I would gladly shop their, but until then, I am voting with my dollar, I have never had a problem finding what I need, through local stores, like Meijer and Aldi's, Costco too, and Amazon for a few things, but I can't think of any reason ever to go into a WM for something I couldn't find anywhere else.

Honestly their prices aren't that good, look into it you'll be amazed.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #144 on: April 07, 2015, 03:02:33 PM »
Without reading this entire thread, I don't shop at WM and haven't for 9+ years.

Mainly because of how poorly they treat their employees and their other unsavory practices.

If they would change I would gladly shop their, but until then, I am voting with my dollar, I have never had a problem finding what I need, through local stores, like Meijer and Aldi's, Costco too, and Amazon for a few things, but I can't think of any reason ever to go into a WM for something I couldn't find anywhere else.

Honestly their prices aren't that good, look into it you'll be amazed.

You GOTS to read the thread. At least posting #128. I've got a whole new perspective on the issues I never had before, and I can't say Wal-Mart is the specific cause - might actually be the cure. (I'm no raving capitalist and I don't have stock in Wal-Mart, I'm only a (mildly) dissatisfied customer....)