Author Topic: Is Dave Ramsey a damned moron?  (Read 19299 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Is Dave Ramsey a damned moron?
« Reply #200 on: May 18, 2021, 02:30:46 PM »
The only thing that can stop a bad baby with a gun . . .

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #201 on: May 18, 2021, 02:35:40 PM »
Meh.  He likes to bully people.  That's part of his personality/shtick.  Just count how many times in a single show he calls someone an "idiot" or a "moron".  I think a big appeal of his show is listeners waiting for him to go on a tirade against some caller who has made a string of poor financial decisions. Same with Suz Orman's "Denied" segment.    I've never enjoyed that kind of interaction - one of the thing that attracted me to this forum over others was an overall optimistic and supportive vibe.  Sadly, that's diminished in recent years as well...

For sure. "DENIED" = "idiot/moron" = "facepunch"

So much of personal finance is bloodsport. Look at your favorite champion destroy someone for being so stupid. You would never be that stupid.

I mentioned this earlier, but I feel a slight twinge of worry when my parents tell me they're addicted to Dave Ramsey youtube videos. That's just a few clicks away from the real nasty stuff.

Maybe he wants people to get rid of the CCs and carry large sums of cash instead for his side gig as armed robber. He has to pay for his lavious lifestyle some how!

Hahaha!!

On my phone. Hope I don’t mess up quotes.  Must point out that face punches were originally self inflicted. It was an admonition to examine your own habits and correct yourself. That’s different than name calling and public tirades meant to humiliate.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #202 on: May 18, 2021, 02:35:53 PM »
I can't help thinking how awful it would be to grow up knowing you shot your own mother with a gun when you were a toddler. The poor children.

ericrugiero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #203 on: May 18, 2021, 02:36:55 PM »
One thought for all the people from other countries who are worried about coming to the US because of the popularity of concealed carry.  You would be VERY hard pressed to find a group of people who are more law abiding than concealed carry holders.  Statistically it's one of the safest groups to be around.  Think about what you know about them:
-  They were able to pass a background check (no violent felonies)
-  They were not afraid to be fingerprinted (most states require fingerprinting and most criminals would be worried about stray finger prints they may have left at crime scenes)
-  They were willing to invest time and money into being able to LEGALLY carry a gun rather than breaking the law by carrying illegally
-  Most states require a class before you can get a concealed carry license

On topic, Dave Ramsey pulling a gun out and waving it around is pretty dumb.  A gun in a quality holster (that covers the trigger) is safe.  One being waved around is dangerous. 

Regarding concealed vs open carry.  In my state, both are legal (with a permit).  I see very few people open carrying in public.  It's more common in the woods.  MANY people have their concealed carry permit in my area (I would guess around 50%) but few of them carry regularly.  Most of the people who do carry keep their gun concealed all the time.  Open carry being legal is nice for them because if their shirt rides up and their gun is seen it's not a crime.  I think it's dumb for people to open carry in populated areas but I'm glad it's legal.  That doesn't mean I like the protests like shown in pictures above where some people are using guns as an intimidation technique.  It may not be illegal but it's pretty dumb. 

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #204 on: May 18, 2021, 02:41:45 PM »

How did this thread morph from cash vs CC to guns? FWIW I do spend more using CC than I do when using cash and Im pretty disciplined.

DR likes to say he doesn't carry a credit card in his wallet, but he does carry a concealed handgun permit, and when a conversation is turning testy he's been known to blurt out how he might be carrying a loaded pistol.  He also pulled a gun out during a staff meeting while objecting to online gossip about him.

I guess none of us should ever meet Ramsey IRL huh?

Meh.  He likes to bully people.  That's part of his personality/shtick.  Just count how many times in a single show he calls someone an "idiot" or a "moron".  I think a big appeal of his show is listeners waiting for him to go on a tirade against some caller who has made a string of poor financial decisions. Same with Suz Orman's "Denied" segment.    I've never enjoyed that kind of interaction - one of the thing that attracted me to this forum over others was an overall optimistic and supportive vibe.  Sadly, that's diminished in recent years as well...

I'll have to listen closer... I don't think he says those words ever.

He does on occasion but I've never heard it directed towards the caller. He's generally quite polite to the callers but he'll unload on their immature spouse, deadbeat child, or manipulative family members if he feels it warranted. Unloading on collection agents and politicians is apparently always warranted.

mathlete

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #205 on: May 18, 2021, 02:58:10 PM »
One thought for all the people from other countries who are worried about coming to the US because of the popularity of concealed carry.  You would be VERY hard pressed to find a group of people who are more law abiding than concealed carry holders.  Statistically it's one of the safest groups to be around.  Think about what you know about them:
-  They were not afraid to be fingerprinted (most states require fingerprinting and most criminals would be worried about stray finger prints they may have left at crime scenes)
-  They were willing to invest time and money into being able to LEGALLY carry a gun rather than breaking the law by carrying illegally

On topic, Dave Ramsey pulling a gun out and waving it around is pretty dumb.  A gun in a quality holster (that covers the trigger) is safe.  One being waved around is dangerous. 

Regarding concealed vs open carry.  In my state, both are legal (with a permit).  I see very few people open carrying in public.  It's more common in the woods.  MANY people have their concealed carry permit in my area (I would guess around 50%) but few of them carry regularly.  Most of the people who do carry keep their gun concealed all the time.  Open carry being legal is nice for them because if their shirt rides up and their gun is seen it's not a crime.  I think it's dumb for people to open carry in populated areas but I'm glad it's legal.  That doesn't mean I like the protests like shown in pictures above where some people are using guns as an intimidation technique.  It may not be illegal but it's pretty dumb.

Fair points for sure.

I don't like guns and despise our gun culture, but America's horrible gun death problem is usually domestic, gang related, or suicide.

Dave Ramsey modeling crazy gun person behavior for a large audience probably contributes to stochastic mass shooting events in some form. These are terrible, but you're unlikely to become a victim of one of these.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #206 on: May 18, 2021, 03:03:50 PM »

I would agree, but more and more states are allowing permitless concealed carry.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #207 on: May 18, 2021, 03:10:39 PM »

Fair points for sure.

I don't like guns and despise our gun culture, but America's horrible gun death problem is usually domestic, gang related, or suicide.

Dave Ramsey modeling crazy gun person behavior for a large audience probably contributes to stochastic mass shooting events in some form. These are terrible, but you're unlikely to become a victim of one of these.

He also contributes to people in other countries thinking that Americans are all a bunch of gun-toting crazies.

EricEng

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #208 on: May 18, 2021, 03:17:08 PM »
Law abiding until they aren't.  Being surrounded by people with concealed carry means every altercation and disagreement risks fatal escalation, especially when these people become inebriated.  Road rage shootings go up when people have ready access to guns (go figure).  States that enact concealed carry and gun right laws see violent crime increase.
https://news.stanford.edu/2017/06/21/violent-crime-increases-right-carry-states/
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/jels.12219

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #209 on: May 18, 2021, 03:51:44 PM »
I feel the same way about open carry as I do about boobies: I don't want to see guns or boobies when I'm at a Wafflehouse at 1am eating steak and eggs after the game. Stop distracting me, people!

Back on topic, DR is obviously an evil genius. He took the most profitable enterprise in the history of mankind (religion) and leveraged it to feather his own nest.

Okay...

Personally I would rather have all restaurants everywhere always be topless than ever have to be in a restaurant with a gun. Hell, I'd rather have to eat all meals off of breasts than ever have to be in a restaurant with any gun. Period.

But I don't find breasts distracting, and women bare them in restaurants all the time here for breastfeeding.

Guns on the other hand? You never see guns here except on police.

Apparently a woman had a gun in my neighbourhood and was being threatening with it just the other day, so the police evacuated the entire street and a massive police presence surrounded her house for 12 hours. We really don't get a lot of guns around here.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #210 on: May 18, 2021, 03:56:07 PM »

He also contributes to people in other countries thinking that Americans are all a bunch of gun-toting crazies.

For sure.  Guilty as charged.   ;-)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #211 on: May 18, 2021, 04:00:55 PM »

Okay...

Personally I would rather have all restaurants everywhere always be topless than ever have to be in a restaurant with a gun. Hell, I'd rather have to eat all meals off of breasts than ever have to be in a restaurant with any gun. Period.

But I don't find breasts distracting, and women bare them in restaurants all the time here for breastfeeding.

Guns on the other hand? You never see guns here except on police.

Apparently a woman had a gun in my neighbourhood and was being threatening with it just the other day, so the police evacuated the entire street and a massive police presence surrounded her house for 12 hours. We really don't get a lot of guns around here.

I went to a Club Med in Guadeloupe once - lots and lots of topless European women on the beach and sailing, water-skiing etc.  They all put clothes on for meals.   ;-).

The only time I see hand guns is on police officers and Brinks guards.   Ex saw a gun once when he held the door for someone leaving a convenience store - looked down and saw the gun, the guy he held the door for had just robbed the store.  And said thanks to my Ex for holding the door.  That was a somewhat traumatic experience.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #212 on: May 18, 2021, 04:23:13 PM »
Hell, I'd rather have to eat all meals off of breasts than ever have to be in a restaurant with any gun. Period.

You might be able to swing this.  Are there still sushi restaurants that use women as plates, or has that died out in the modern age?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #213 on: May 18, 2021, 04:34:46 PM »
Hell, I'd rather have to eat all meals off of breasts than ever have to be in a restaurant with any gun. Period.

You might be able to swing this.  Are there still sushi restaurants that use women as plates, or has that died out in the modern age?

It's really not an experience I'm seeking out, it's just something I would prefer to dining in the company with guns.

I'm fascinated by breasts and guns even being equated.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #214 on: May 18, 2021, 04:50:17 PM »

I prefer eating sushi in a manner where there are not multiple possible sources for the aroma of fish.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #215 on: May 18, 2021, 05:22:38 PM »
@startingsmall
nearly half of my coworkers had handguns in their purse

Whuttt???!? Are they not worried someone could just palm it from their handbag when they're not looking? It seems incredibly dangerous to me to not only take a gun out but also to not keep it on your person.

As someone that used to conceal carry, I agree. If you are going to carry it needs to be on your person, in your control, at all times.

As someone who carries for work and sometimes puts said gun in her purse, said purse is always under my control in that situation.  (Basically when I was working plain clothes and in a situation where to fit in said clothes couldn’t really conceal the gun but it’s fine to carry a purse around). 

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #216 on: May 18, 2021, 05:27:43 PM »
As someone who carries for work and sometimes puts said gun in her purse, said purse is always under my control in that situation.  (Basically when I was working plain clothes and in a situation where to fit in said clothes couldn’t really conceal the gun but it’s fine to carry a purse around).

And was it handcuffed to your wrist when you were walking down the street? I mean, if your boss tells you to carry on the job I get it, but I'd still be nervous.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #217 on: May 18, 2021, 05:56:53 PM »
My family had a cattle ranch.  On the ranch we always had a rifle and usually a sidearm and from a very young age, too.  In later years I shot competitively.  I'm comfortable around guns, and I'm comfortable around other people who are comfortable around guns.  For example, in competition I never saw anyone handle a gun in an unsafe manner, not once, not ever.  People who are serious about shooting are also serious about responsibility and safety.   If you are a responsible shooter, have your gun secured in your purse, and have control over your purse, that's fine with me. 

What makes me uncomfortable are the yahoos who don't understand all that.  Guns are a tool.   If you think strapping one to your hind leg makes you cool or studly you are too damn immature to own a gun.  Full stop.  My heart goes out to the family of the kid who shot the mother.  But why, why, why, why, why would you ever have a gun where there is even the slightest chance a toddler can find it?  That type of thinking is so far removed from the universe of any type of responsible gun ownership it seems like science fiction. 

One of the first rules of gun handling, maybe the very first rule, is never point a gun at something you don't intend to hit.  You don't wave guns at people to make a point.  Never.  Not once.  Not ever.   If you do, you are too stupid, irresponsible, and immature to own a gun. That tells you all you need to know about Dave Ramsey. 

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #218 on: May 18, 2021, 06:02:59 PM »
One of the first rules of gun handling, maybe the very first rule, is never point a gun at something you don't intend to hit.  You don't wave guns at people to make a point.  Never.  Not once.  Not ever.   If you do, you are too stupid, irresponsible, and immature to own a gun. That tells you all you need to know about Dave Ramsey.

Similar here. I remember it being along the lines of "don't pull out a gun unless you intend to use it."

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #219 on: May 18, 2021, 06:03:06 PM »

And was it handcuffed to your wrist when you were walking down the street? I mean, if your boss tells you to carry on the job I get it, but I'd still be nervous.

Bag was cross slung, I feel just as good as with it in a holster honestly.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #220 on: May 18, 2021, 06:21:08 PM »
Bag was cross slung, I feel just as good as with it in a holster honestly.

Fair enough.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #221 on: May 18, 2021, 06:29:10 PM »
So we have shown that DR is a yahoo (thanks Telecaster for the term).  As well as a hypocritical misogynist.

To get us a bit back on topic, I was watching Chelseas's video on 8 financial memes, and one is the credit is bad one.  So she reamed DR but good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c6115s_Rs4&t=142s

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #222 on: May 18, 2021, 06:54:35 PM »

Similar here. I remember it being along the lines of "don't pull out a gun unless you intend to use it."

Me too. My husband has guns. They stay in the safe, unloaded, unless he's out target shooting. I'm not comfortable around them at all but I know that people can be responsible with them. He thought about getting a concealed carry permit but decided it wasn't worth the hassle because he wouldn't use it very often.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #223 on: May 19, 2021, 02:51:25 AM »

I prefer eating sushi in a manner where there are not multiple possible sources for the aroma of fish.

Bad joke. Not cool.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #224 on: May 19, 2021, 04:02:47 AM »

Bad joke. Not cool.

Which part, the one where someone brought up using women as plates or the other part where I gave a reason why I wouldn't like that? If we were in the #cancel thread, I could go on a rant about how I'm not allowed to even say I don't want to use people as plates. I'm a white man who's being silenced! But we're not in that thread, we're in the gun control thread...I think? Were we shooting at the plates? That doesn't seem right.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #225 on: May 19, 2021, 04:21:59 AM »

Bad joke. Not cool.

Which part, the one where someone brought up using women as plates or the other part where I gave a reason why I wouldn't like that? If we were in the #cancel thread, I could go on a rant about how I'm not allowed to even say I don't want to use people as plates. I'm a white man who's being silenced! But we're not in that thread, we're in the gun control thread...I think? Were we shooting at the plates? That doesn't seem right.

The part where you say vaginas smell like dead fish.

JFC can’t believe I am writing this but the ones I’ve come across have been quite hygienic. Probably more so than the table, plates and cutlery you’d eat from in your average sushi bar.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #226 on: May 19, 2021, 05:16:33 AM »
The part where you say vaginas smell like dead fish.

JFC can’t believe I am writing this but the ones I’ve come across have been quite hygienic. Probably more so than the table, plates and cutlery you’d eat from in your average sushi bar.

Maybe (as in, not sure that's the issue the other person was referring to...maybe it's obvious that was it, or it's supposed to be obvious that we should be outraged in the degradation of using people as plates, to which my response would be I find it more degrading to say someone can do an activity for free but charging for their services is crossing the line).

Here's my thought process on my comment. Someone brings up the idea of eating sushi off women. That seems a bit out of left field, but me being me, I start to imagine what would lead to this scenario. Are we talking about a sushi restaurant that just happens to do this as a way to differentiate themselves from all the other sushi restaurants they're competing with? Or is this a type of restaurant you go to for a bachelor/bachelorette party? I mean, you can order anything from jello shots (makes sense) to a pizza (um...ok?) to sushi (but...why??!!). Would I be a bad person if I ordered the ribs, like, is that inconsiderate (but then...why offer that? So many questions!)? What is the dishwasher's job like?

Ok, there's going off-track, then there's pure silliness. We're talking about eating sushi off women. Ok. My first concern isn't smell. It's, what about the wasabi? Second concern is back to the dishwasher...I mean, I use a LOT of soy sauce for my sushi rolls. That stuff is going to get everywhere. But the third concern...yeah. And this is how my mind works. I'm thinking...ok, I don't really get the appeal of eating a burger off a naked woman (should I not be assuming they're naked? Are they wearing a tablecloth that's changed after every customer...SO MANY QUESTIONS). But if everyone is cool with the idea, I see nothing wrong with someone eating a burger off another person. So be it. I'm really struggling to write this next part out, I've rewritten it several times already, so here goes nothing. If you order the ice cream sundae and you smell ice cream...that's fine. If you order the jello shot and smell sushi...something somewhere has gone horribly wrong. We can't point at a definite hygiene issue, because apparently this place also serves sushi for some reason; maybe the dishwasher is at fault? Regardless, something just isn't right. But if you order the sushi and it smells like sushi, don't go complaining to the manager about the sushi smell.

It's like watching the obviously fake sci-fi show, but going along with it because THE STORYLINE, but then a tiny detail (if one person typing frantically on a keyboard can't stop the hackers, try TWO people typing frantically on the same keyboard) just yanks you right out of the whole thing. You just can't suspend disbelief anymore, that was the straw.

I'm really afraid to google "naked women sushi" in case this is actually a thing, and I'm just a horrible person for even thinking this problem could even exist. But then I get a chuckle imagining someone googling "eating sushi off a naked woman" and Google says "hey, I have a thread about Dave Ramsey that you're going to love!"

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #227 on: May 19, 2021, 05:59:27 AM »
I guess I could have started a Socratic dialogue like you're supposed to do with racists about where the humour is in saying vaginas smell like fish, but I didn't think it was particularly necessary. I think part of being a grown up is knowing what to say out loud and what to keep in your head.

If I wanted to "cancel" you, I could have reported you to the mods and asked them to delete your post and/or ban you. I'd prefer to let the evidence stand but briefly note that I think it's a bad joke and not cool. And then we could either all move on or read a long justification of why it's funny to say that vaginas smell of fish.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #228 on: May 19, 2021, 06:19:30 AM »
Gheesh, and I thought we got off topic with handguns, starting from DR waving one around at a meeting.

@NumberJohnny5, how you got from breasts to vaginas is beyond me, but you know what?  You also crossed the line from the odd sort-of-weird but so-so OK discussion to icky.  Ask yourself how you got from breasts to vaginas in a restaurant setting.  Because your brain needs to learn some restraint in posting (or in simpler terms, don't blurt out whatever crosses your mind), if not in its thinking.  And no, I'm not posting to the mods, I'm calling you out here in public.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #229 on: May 19, 2021, 06:33:00 AM »
If I wanted to "cancel" you, I could have reported you to the mods and asked them to delete your post and/or ban you. I'd prefer to let the evidence stand but briefly note that I think it's a bad joke and not cool. And then we could either all move on or read a long justification of why it's funny to say that vaginas smell of fish.

That makes sense. It was meant more as a "that's just absurd, I mean, I can suspend disbelief up to a certain point...but the food item you chose is that??!!" Not "haha, women's vaginas smell funny (I'm pretty sure most don't, I've heard that some do; my sample size isn't that large so I'll have to defer to others with more varied experience than I've had). I'd probably have a similar response if someone suggested that they pay some guy to let customers slurp anchovies off of his naked body. I mean, I know that's a thing that happens with whipped cream at bachelorette parties (or rather, I've heard, no first hand experience, honest!), which in and of itself seems odd but whatever. The idea of anchovies is just...why the f? I get that people eat anchovies, and that people eat off of guys, but why combine the two? I can't believe that'd be a thing, I don't know how we'd get to a place where that's a thing in society, and I don't want to google in case it is already a thing. It breaks my brain.

Anyways, didn't mean it as an insult, please accept my apologies.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #230 on: May 19, 2021, 06:40:52 AM »
Anyways, didn't mean it as an insult, please accept my apologies.

You obviously didn't mean it as a personal insult, and thank you for apologising now you've realised it was a bad and not cool joke to make.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #231 on: May 19, 2021, 06:47:04 AM »
Gheesh, and I thought we got off topic with handguns, starting from DR waving one around at a meeting.

@NumberJohnny5, how you got from breasts to vaginas is beyond me, but you know what?  You also crossed the line from the odd sort-of-weird but so-so OK discussion to icky.  Ask yourself how you got from breasts to vaginas in a restaurant setting.  Because your brain needs to learn some restraint in posting (or in simpler terms, don't blurt out whatever crosses your mind), if not in its thinking.  And no, I'm not posting to the mods, I'm calling you out here in public.

I'm afraid to go back and re-read what started all this, in case I go off-topic again, but here goes.

*note, I'm actually re-reading everything instead of skimming, starting at the first mention of "sushi" or "breasts"*

I read the "using women as plates" as separate from the idea of being in a restaurant where women were topless. I was literally imagining a person laying on the table like they would for jello shots. Naked. With sushi. Because someone posted about using women as plates in a sushi restaurant. But you're suggesting this is a known practice that everyone knows about (or if not, should know that you'd obviously eat the sushi off of the breasts, not stomach or anywhere else). Does everyone else really know about this and I'm the only one who doesn't? I'm actually a bit nervous now, I am going to fire up incognito mode and hope for the best.

*note, at this point I literally google "sushi restaurants naked women plates" without quotes. That's literally what I googled. I'm actually looking this shit up now*

First google result, first paragraph (second if you count the introductory paragraph about weird places to eat food). Ok, you guys are some sick fucks and we need to burn this thread to the motherfucking ground.

*keeps reading*

Oh, that's just this one restaurant (is it even real?), most are actually what I imagined...someone (not always female) lays completely naked on their back, and people eat sushi off them. It's actually a thing. It's a fucking known thing. God dammmit.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #232 on: May 19, 2021, 06:54:39 AM »
I find it funny that the same people tend to gravitate to any thread that has slightly political topics. This all started from one of the examples as to why DR is a terrible employer.

This isn't the standard gun thread though, it is discussing what the rules are and who does what where.  Very informative, nice and calm.  Except you can't see me freaking out here.

We are still sort of on topic, because DR waves a gun around at work.  What in everlasting hell does he think he is doing?
This is far more interesting than talking about DR.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #233 on: May 19, 2021, 06:55:57 AM »

Bad joke. Not cool.

The person who made the comment about using breasts as plates is me, a woman with breasts who isn't at all uncomfortable with breasts and not at all sexualizing them, who said so in response to a man making a comment about women's breasts being distracting in the same way that guns are, which to me was absurd.

My point was that breasts can be exposed and around me everywhere and I'm not perturbed in the slightest because they're just breasts.

In contrast your comment insults women's genitals. However, I could see if you didn't realize I was a woman trying to normalize the presence of breasts as compared to guns that you wouldn't get how they're different.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #234 on: May 19, 2021, 07:10:09 AM »
I find it funny that the same people tend to gravitate to any thread that has slightly political topics. This all started from one of the examples as to why DR is a terrible employer.

This isn't the standard gun thread though, it is discussing what the rules are and who does what where.  Very informative, nice and calm.  Except you can't see me freaking out here.

We are still sort of on topic, because DR waves a gun around at work.  What in everlasting hell does he think he is doing?

Agree to disagree I guess. Some people come out of the woodwork to talk politics. I do the same in any thread that shits on DR.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #235 on: May 19, 2021, 07:39:35 AM »

Agree to disagree I guess. Some people come out of the woodwork to talk politics. I do the same in any thread that shits on DR.
So any discussion of his DR's absurdities is shitting on him?

I think I'll go make popcorn.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #236 on: May 19, 2021, 07:41:25 AM »

It's really not an experience I'm seeking out, it's just something I would prefer to dining in the company with guns.

I'm fascinated by breasts and guns even being equated.
What about topless waitresses with guns?! That would likely be at a Hooters restaurant somewhere in Texas probably. I doubt the have sushi there. And isn't DR from Texas? 'nough said.

Nope, Tennessee

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #237 on: May 19, 2021, 07:56:27 AM »

I'm afraid to go back and re-read what started all this, in case I go off-topic again, but here goes.

*note, I'm actually re-reading everything instead of skimming, starting at the first mention of "sushi" or "breasts"*

I read the "using women as plates" as separate from the idea of being in a restaurant where women were topless. I was literally imagining a person laying on the table like they would for jello shots. Naked. With sushi. Because someone posted about using women as plates in a sushi restaurant. But you're suggesting this is a known practice that everyone knows about (or if not, should know that you'd obviously eat the sushi off of the breasts, not stomach or anywhere else). Does everyone else really know about this and I'm the only one who doesn't? I'm actually a bit nervous now, I am going to fire up incognito mode and hope for the best.

*note, at this point I literally google "sushi restaurants naked women plates" without quotes. That's literally what I googled. I'm actually looking this shit up now*

First google result, first paragraph (second if you count the introductory paragraph about weird places to eat food). Ok, you guys are some sick fucks and we need to burn this thread to the motherfucking ground.

*keeps reading*

Oh, that's just this one restaurant (is it even real?), most are actually what I imagined...someone (not always female) lays completely naked on their back, and people eat sushi off them. It's actually a thing. It's a fucking known thing. God dammmit.

Nyotaimori (sushi eaten off a naked woman) is (according to Google) a respected Japanese custom dating as far back as the 1600s according to Google.  I think I first heard of the concept on an episode of CSI: New York a long time ago.  I had originally mentioned it as it was the only instance I could think of where people would use breasts as plates.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #238 on: May 19, 2021, 08:14:54 AM »
Nyotaimori (sushi eaten off a naked woman) is (according to Google) a respected Japanese custom dating as far back as the 1600s according to Google.  I think I first heard of the concept on an episode of CSI: New York a long time ago.  I had originally mentioned it as it was the only instance I could think of where people would use breasts as plates.

I literally thought you pulled it out of your ass. I have never heard of such nonsense. Why would anyone...but here we are. Respected you say? It's a normal thing, I have so many questions. So many. I nearly typed one such question as an example, but I'm legit worried it'll be considered in poor taste. I just...this is an actual thing now. Or rather, has been my entire life and for quite some time before. I want to post on Facebook asking why no one ever let me in on this, call up my mom and say "did you know...?" I shall muster all the restraint I possibly can and just let it go, and if I ever hear someone go "Oh my god, what??!! That's a thing??!!" I'll respond "Yeah, has been for centuries...you really mean you didn't know? Wow, how can you go X years on planet Earth and not realize eating sushi off of naked people was a normal thing people do sometimes?"
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 08:23:23 AM by NumberJohnny5 »

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #239 on: May 19, 2021, 08:32:45 AM »
As a hetero male/right wing nut job, I would be just fine seeing more breasts and more guns.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #240 on: May 19, 2021, 08:52:07 AM »
As a hetero male/right wing nut job, I would be just fine seeing more breasts and more guns.

I'm so worried I'll misspeak again. I've enlisted some help this time, hopefully this goes well.

If you're fine seeing more breasts being used in public for their intended purpose, that makes you neither right wing or a nut job.

If you're fine seeing more guns being used in public for their intended purpose...please seek help.

If you're only ok seeing more breasts on your terms (i.e. at a party that you're hosting) and more guns being wielded by people of the "right" color...no arguments from us on using the label you identify with.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #241 on: May 19, 2021, 08:55:42 AM »

I literally thought you pulled it out of your ass. I have never heard of such nonsense. Why would anyone...but here we are. Respected you say? It's a normal thing, I have so many questions. So many. I nearly typed one such question as an example, but I'm legit worried it'll be considered in poor taste. I just...this is an actual thing now. Or rather, has been my entire life and for quite some time before. I want to post on Facebook asking why no one ever let me in on this, call up my mom and say "did you know...?" I shall muster all the restraint I possibly can and just let it go, and if I ever hear someone go "Oh my god, what??!! That's a thing??!!" I'll respond "Yeah, has been for centuries...you really mean you didn't know? Wow, how can you go X years on planet Earth and not realize eating sushi off of naked people was a normal thing people do sometimes?"

You're one of today's lucky 10,000!

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #242 on: May 19, 2021, 08:57:50 AM »

I'm so worried I'll misspeak again. I've enlisted some help this time, hopefully this goes well.

If you're fine seeing more breasts being used in public for their intended purpose, that makes you neither right wing or a nut job.

If you're fine seeing more guns being used in public for their intended purpose...please seek help.

If you're only ok seeing more breasts on your terms (i.e. at a party that you're hosting) and more guns being wielded by people of the "right" color...no arguments from us on using the label you identify with.

The breasts are the hetero part. And if they’re out because they’re being used (for feeding/pumping) or just because they’re beautiful and out on display, it’s cool with me.

When I (flippantly) say “see more guns” I mean I like to “see” as many law abiding citizens, of all color/race, exercising their 2A rights to carry a firearm, ideally concealed, peacefully, using it only if necessary in hopefully rare circumstances.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #243 on: May 19, 2021, 09:05:45 AM »

You're one of today's lucky 10,000!

*reads comic posted*

*patiently waits for GuitarStv's invitation to sushi*

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #244 on: May 19, 2021, 09:31:12 AM »
I can try my best, but fear that my chest hair may ruin the naked sushi experience for you.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #245 on: May 19, 2021, 09:50:35 AM »
In an effort to divert this ongoing cringefest, I've been wondering who th most famous personal finance pundit is in the UK. Seems like Dave Ramsey is in the US? I am also aware of someone called Suze Orman, but I think DR is more famous than her.

I am not exactly in touch with popular British media these days, but I would say Martin Lewis from MoneySavingExpert would be near the top of a poll of "Which personal finance person have you heard of?" in the UK. This is his website: www.moneysavingexpert.com. worlds apart from Dave Ramsey!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #246 on: May 19, 2021, 10:55:26 AM »
 My example is a lot less funny.  My babies always decided they were hungry as soon as I was about to eat.  I would feed them while eating and occasionally drop a piece of food on my breast or the baby, then pick it up and eat it. Anyone who's fed a baby has probably done that.

You would not want to eat while handling a gun because you could get lead poisoning. Boobs are perfectly ok from a health standpoint. That naked woman sushi thing sounds a bit creepy to me but if they are all consenting adults they aren't hurting anyone. I don't think Dave would approve though.

mckaylabaloney

• Bristles
« Reply #247 on: May 19, 2021, 11:39:19 AM »
In an effort to divert this ongoing cringefest, I've been wondering who th most famous personal finance pundit is in the UK. Seems like Dave Ramsey is in the US? I am also aware of someone called Suze Orman, but I think DR is more famous than her.

I think it's probably true that it's either Dave or Suze, but I'm not sure which -- and I guess it depends how you define fame. I would not be surprised if Suze had more pure name recognition -- that is to say, the number of Americans who know who she is and generally what she does -- but I would expect Dave to have more of a following in the sense of how many people are committed to following his advice. He has a particular system and course that people pay to complete. Suze may have the same, but it's not that well known if she does. However, she is a household name, which I think is at least partly attributable to Oprah (she appeared on Oprah's show a few dozen times back in the day). 

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #248 on: May 19, 2021, 11:52:16 AM »
There was a Canadian lady who had a financial advice tv show that I've heard about on the forum. Can't remember the name now. Something about mason jars maybe.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #249 on: May 19, 2021, 11:54:39 AM »

I am not exactly in touch with popular British media these days, but I would say Martin Lewis from MoneySavingExpert would be near the top of a poll of "Which personal finance person have you heard of?" in the UK. This is his website: www.moneysavingexpert.com. worlds apart from Dave Ramsey!

For Canada, a few years ago I would have said Gail Vaz Oxlade (Morning Glory, this is who you were thinking of).  Her TV show Til Debt Do Us Part was super popular and she has written several personal finance books.  She is really no nonsense.  Honourable mentions to David Chilton and Gordon Pape.  Who is the most well known these days?  Canadian Couch Potato?  MMM doesn't count, he is writing from an American financial perspective.