Author Topic: Is Costco really cheaper?  (Read 36640 times)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
Re: Is Costco really cheaper?
« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2018, 07:19:51 PM »
I go to Costco every week.  Buy gas when you get there it's always cheaper.  Then eat a hotdog and make sure to refill your soda before you start shopping.  Hit every free sample ( this is where the full soda helps).  At this point you will have probably covered the annual membership through gas savings and a $1.50 hot dog and free sample buffett.  Look at the rotisserie chicken that is already deboned.  Not many want to carve up a chicken.  Check out the clothes as they are always a deal.  Check out their $17.99 chicken enchiladas that they make in the back with the rotisserie chicken.   Easy to get 8 meals out of it.   Count the walking around as saving on a gym membership.

Are you fucking serious here a hotdog for 1.50 I can buy a pack of 8 and buns for that at Aldi. Then your buying soda.  Awesome use of money. Top that off with 17.99 for chicken enchiladas. Umm let's see here chicken breast 1.69 for a lb at Aldi plus 50c for a half a pack of tortillas. Cheese is now the norm for loss leaders at the local grocery so that 1.49 for a lb. Add 20c for seasoning and a 1.59 cannot enchilada sauce. And a 59c can of beans. And I'm not even trying to make this cheaper I could if I wanted to. You're looking at 1/3 the price for the enchiladas and no f'n pop or drive to Costco to save on your gas which you lost the difference on driving to Costco. Slash all the unhealthy crap you ate walking around the gym which is just a gross waste of consumerism.

If you don't have an Aldi near you maybe you come out ahead with Costco otherwise you're just blind to the golden light the master teaches.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2018, 08:19:24 PM »
The tire prices are pretty good for quality tires. You can get janky tires for less, but it's hard to beat Costco's frequent sale price for a good set of Michelin Pilot Sports with nice sticky rubber that will keep you out of an accident by significantly decreasing stopping distance vs some economy "80,0000" mile tire. Like for like the process are excellent, but like with organic foods, not everyone but organic tires. I buy a lot of beef jerky when it's on sale for $5 off every so often. I make up my $60 in beef jerky alone. I make up maybe $10 a year or so on gas even though it's the closest gas station to my home. If you don't drive much it won't save you much. I buy bananas but I end up throwing some away almost every time.

If they stopped caring beef jerky I'd probably cancel my membership tbh.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2018, 05:15:54 AM »
i've tried two aldi's and the quality of the food is not good enough.
very processed unhealthy food is what i saw

Like... what? I mean, sure, there are processed foods, but I can't think what you would want that isn't at Aldi.

Mine has great produce. Beans, dry and canned. Milk - regular, organic, soy, rice. Eggs - regular and free range. Meat. Fish. Right now they've got tofu in stock, but they don't always carry it. Brown rice comes and goes, so I usually stock up on it. Ditto, whole wheat flour.

And mine has an every changing array of household items that we have to resist, but their scented candles are great!

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2018, 07:15:40 AM »
Many states require that you are able to use the optical shop and pharmacy without a membership.  Some states also require that alcohol can be purchased without a membership as well.

Happily Irrelevant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2018, 07:44:31 AM »
I go to Costco every week.  Buy gas when you get there it's always cheaper.  Then eat a hotdog and make sure to refill your soda before you start shopping.  Hit every free sample ( this is where the full soda helps).  At this point you will have probably covered the annual membership through gas savings and a $1.50 hot dog and free sample buffett.  Look at the rotisserie chicken that is already deboned.  Not many want to carve up a chicken.  Check out the clothes as they are always a deal.  Check out their $17.99 chicken enchiladas that they make in the back with the rotisserie chicken.   Easy to get 8 meals out of it.   Count the walking around as saving on a gym membership.

Are you fucking serious here a hotdog for 1.50 I can buy a pack of 8 and buns for that at Aldi. Then your buying soda.  Awesome use of money. Top that off with 17.99 for chicken enchiladas. Umm let's see here chicken breast 1.69 for a lb at Aldi plus 50c for a half a pack of tortillas. Cheese is now the norm for loss leaders at the local grocery so that 1.49 for a lb. Add 20c for seasoning and a 1.59 cannot enchilada sauce. And a 59c can of beans. And I'm not even trying to make this cheaper I could if I wanted to. You're looking at 1/3 the price for the enchiladas and no f'n pop or drive to Costco to save on your gas which you lost the difference on driving to Costco. Slash all the unhealthy crap you ate walking around the gym which is just a gross waste of consumerism.

If you don't have an Aldi near you maybe you come out ahead with Costco otherwise you're just blind to the golden light the master teaches.

But the soda is included in the $1.50 hotdog price.  Sounds like you need to calm down a bit.  You're getting excited over my walking around to save money on a gym membership really had me laughing.   Everyone knows that retired people go to Planet Fitness for $10.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: September 06, 2018, 07:47:36 AM »

But the soda is included in the $1.50 hotdog price.  Sounds like you need to calm down a bit.  You're getting excited over my walking around to save money on a gym membership really had me laughing.   Everyone knows that retired people go to Planet Fitness for $10.

oh that makes it better free crappy sugar water included with an overpriced piece of fake meat all that can be had cheaper elsewhere.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2018, 08:33:40 AM »
if you have an aldi then costco is not cheaper.
I was under the impression that Aldi stores did not vary that much.  The ones here offer about 1/3rd the goods and services that Costco provides (for example the Aldi stores here do not have a service station, sell computers, automotive section, rental cars, etc.).  Where you live do the Aldi stores carry a lot more than just food?

We definitely shop at Aldi but there are plenty of things we still go to Costco for.

I highly doubt those services you just described ate benefiting you more than using other methods. Computers are much easier had thru slickdeal alerts. Rental cars don't have the savings there everyone seems to think they do. Tire savings can be found on Slickdeals. You're fooling yourself thinking that subscription is worth it.
Oooh good, please enlighten me.  Gas is going for $2.69-$2.79 right now in my area.  It's $2.28 at the Costco we go to most of the time and $2.42 at the one five minutes from where my wife works (is $2.37 at nearest Sam's Club).  Where is the 'slickdeal' equivalent of that?  The Aldi I shop at does not sell gas, that was my point.  You can't compare two stores and say one is always cheaper when they don't even offer the same goods.

What savings am I missing on the rental cars?  My friend needed to rent a car for a week and it came out to ~$50.  They shopped around at the various car rental companies and that was easily the best deal.  Inventory changes and other factors will cause the price to fluctuate so Costco might not always win but seems weird to flippantly dismiss an entire company and their offerings because...boarder42 has doubt about shopping around?   AAA wins out on occasion as well, and sometimes you just have to stomach the terrible customer service at the airport car rentals and go with them because they are lowest.  YMMV.

Happily Irrelevant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2018, 08:57:16 AM »

oh that makes it better free crappy sugar water included with an overpriced piece of fake meat all that can be had cheaper elsewhere.

LOL.  Well have a good day I'm off to Burger Kind for their $3.49 King Deal for lunch.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #108 on: September 06, 2018, 09:21:26 AM »
I was under the impression that Aldi stores did not vary that much.  The ones here offer about 1/3rd the goods and services that Costco provides (for example the Aldi stores here do not have a service station, sell computers, automotive section, rental cars, etc.).  Where you live do the Aldi stores carry a lot more than just food?

We definitely shop at Aldi but there are plenty of things we still go to Costco for.

I highly doubt those services you just described ate benefiting you more than using other methods. Computers are much easier had thru slickdeal alerts. Rental cars don't have the savings there everyone seems to think they do. Tire savings can be found on Slickdeals. You're fooling yourself thinking that subscription is worth it.
Oooh good, please enlighten me.  Gas is going for $2.69-$2.79 right now in my area.  It's $2.28 at the Costco we go to most of the time and $2.42 at the one five minutes from where my wife works (is $2.37 at nearest Sam's Club).  Where is the 'slickdeal' equivalent of that?  The Aldi I shop at does not sell gas, that was my point.  You can't compare two stores and say one is always cheaper when they don't even offer the same goods.

What savings am I missing on the rental cars?  My friend needed to rent a car for a week and it came out to ~$50.  They shopped around at the various car rental companies and that was easily the best deal.  Inventory changes and other factors will cause the price to fluctuate so Costco might not always win but seems weird to flippantly dismiss an entire company and their offerings because...boarder42 has doubt about shopping around?   AAA wins out on occasion as well, and sometimes you just have to stomach the terrible customer service at the airport car rentals and go with them because they are lowest.  YMMV.

oooh sweet another subscription service AAA you just stacking up those monthly fees. 

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: September 06, 2018, 09:21:27 AM »
Costco is great. I have the (higher fee) executive membership, but that extra fee includes roadside assistance to go along with my Costco-sourced Ameriprise car insurance, and another year end rebate check. I also use their Citi credit card, purely for shopping there and for the 4% rebate on all gas purchases.

Stuff I always buy at Costco:
Dog food and biscuits - Kirkland
Gas
Kirkland products: kleenex, rum, gin, salsa, potato chips, vitamins, pesto, paper towels, allergy meds
Beer
Cereal
Eggs
Milk
Rotisserie chicken
Fresh meat
Apples
Bananas
Stuffed pasta
Coffee beans (whole, I grind them at home)
Laundry detergent
Dishwasher detergent
Restaurant gift cards (instant 20-30% off for places we tend to go anyway)

Stuff I never buy there: (because of easy to find cheaper sales elsewhere)
Soda
Tires (usually buy through Discount Tire, on a sale + manufacturer rebate)
Motor oil

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2018, 09:31:46 AM »

Like... what? I mean, sure, there are processed foods, but I can't think what you would want that isn't at Aldi.

Mine has great produce. Beans, dry and canned. Milk - regular, organic, soy, rice. Eggs - regular and free range. Meat. Fish. Right now they've got tofu in stock, but they don't always carry it. Brown rice comes and goes, so I usually stock up on it. Ditto, whole wheat flour.

And mine has an every changing array of household items that we have to resist, but their scented candles are great!

Aldi is a fantastic option, and we have one near my house. I just paid $24.99 for a set of 100% cotton sheets to replace an old, heavily worn set. Another $20 got me two cans of beans, two containers of cottage cheese, a package of pecans, and a big bag of fresh produce. In my area, some products are cheaper at Aldi, while others are cheaper at Costco. Both stores offer high-quality products. I can get 95% of our groceries between the two stores (the other 5% includes things like corn tortillas when it's too hot to make them from scratch, certified gluten-free oats, and produce beyond the sometimes limited fresh/frozen stocks at the other stores).

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: September 06, 2018, 10:17:22 AM »
I'm jealous of those of you with an Aldi nearby. We don't have one within about 25 minutes of us. Costco is 10 minutes away which is the edge of where we go on a regular basis. The answer we've found to the original question, though, is a firm "it depends". We do shop at Costco a lot because we have three kids, one of which is a 17 year old boy who plays sports. There are specific things we buy at Costco and come out ahead. We can eat the giant bag of baby carrots for $4.99 before it goes bad...Tillamook cheese is cheapest at Costco (I'm sure I could get cheaper cheese elsewhere, but you will pry my Tillamook sharp cheddar from my cold, dead hands). We try to eat less processed food, but we keep some frozen items on hand for crazy nights/teenagers and Costco frozen pizzas are one of those cheap items. We buy the giant bag of rice (50lbs? It's huge) and staples like sugar, nuts, olive oil, at Costco. The thing to be careful about is all the junk food because it IS so much cheaper at Costco and we don't usually buy it. We generally shop Costco without the kids at lunchtime to prevent some of those purchases! I do buy wine at Costco; my favorite "cheap" Riesling is $5.99 there but $9.99 at a regular grocery store. I don't drink a lot of it, but I like to have a couple bottles on hand for company and the occasional evening.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: September 06, 2018, 10:56:52 AM »

oooh sweet another subscription service AAA you just stacking up those monthly fees.
Oh no! boarder42 doesn't see the value in something that others do so has to disparage and chime in with irrelevant musings.

I am not an AAA member nor is that relevant - some memberships are worth it while that same membership would not be worth it to someone else.  From what I hear, AAA offers competitive deals at times on rental cars.  You can substitute AAA for any store or company and rental cars with any product and shop for the best deals to your heart's content.  Costco provides enough value to me to be worth it.  Costco is not worth it to you.  Okay.  I am also not disparaging Aldi or any other place.  In fact, I just bought strawberries on Tuesday from Aldi for $1.19/lb which is cheaper than the $9 six pound frozen bag I get on occasion at Costco for smoothies.

FireHiker just reminded me - I do buy wine at Costco on occasion.  My MIL loves the magnum sized Three Thieves red that Costco has for $11.  Wal-Mart sells the 750 ml version for $7.  Have not seen it listed cheaper on slickdeals yet but will keep an eye out.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #113 on: September 06, 2018, 11:12:46 AM »
We find that in our area hands-down the cheapest overall grocery place is a small local Chinese store. We buy almost everything there, though you do have to know your way around suey choy and daikon and stuff. They also make their own tofu at a facility a couple of blocks away, which is very good. And I suspect one of the owners might be secretly a vegan, because their vegan selection is unreal. That said, we do buy a few things at Costco:

- Cases of soy milk
- Soda
- Multigrain bread for my sandwiches (I bake my partner's bread)
- Literal sacks of flour and sugar
- Bags of broccoli
- Granola bars for hiking
- Discounted barber gift cards for me
- Sometimes movie tickets

We definitely don't wander around looking at things - we're in out and as fast as we can manage.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: September 06, 2018, 11:13:32 AM »
Happily, our Aldi is right across the street from Sam's Club (no Costco here) so whilst I grocery shop at Aldi, my dh gets the week's gas at Sam's, which definitely does have the cheapest price on that. About once/month I run into Sams and buy stuff on our list. The price of gas definitely covers the cost of the membership, and we don't really buy all that much gas.

I don't think Sam's prices on wine are very good, really. I wish our Aldi carried wine (some do.)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: September 06, 2018, 11:19:11 AM »
Happily, our Aldi is right across the street from Sam's Club (no Costco here) so whilst I grocery shop at Aldi, my dh gets the week's gas at Sam's, which definitely does have the cheapest price on that. About once/month I run into Sams and buy stuff on our list. The price of gas definitely covers the cost of the membership, and we don't really buy all that much gas.

I don't think Sam's prices on wine are very good, really. I wish our Aldi carried wine (some do.)

yep aldi wine is 2.89 per 750ml its pretty great - i wish we'd get the scotch selection in ours single malt for 25 or blended for 15.  both have won awards.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #116 on: September 06, 2018, 11:35:02 AM »

nearest ALDI to me is 33 miles away, but I can walk to Costco from my office.

The cheapest cheese is at Costco for $2.00 a pound.  There has never ever been a loss leader on cheese in any local grocery store that has beat that price.  Cheapest loss leader is $3/ lb.  MAYBE once a year $2.50/lb.

Of course corn tortillas are cheaper at Costco too.   And the chicken.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: September 06, 2018, 11:36:33 AM »

yep aldi wine is 2.89 per 750ml its pretty great - i wish we'd get the scotch selection in ours single malt for 25 or blended for 15.  both have won awards.

Wow, prices really vary by region. Only a couple of the bottles at our Aldi are that cheap. Most are $6 or higher. We usually make our own wine, though, so it’s not a big deal for us.

Our Aldi also doesn’t sell liquor. You can buy Costco liquor without a membership, and their house label vodka, gin, and reposado tequila are very good deals. Haven’t tried the scotch yet.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #118 on: September 06, 2018, 11:47:16 AM »
We use Costco for a few specific things.
1) Gas
2) Blueberries (like 1/4 of the price of Aldi)
3) Flour: a 50-pound bag costs the price of 2 5-pound bags.
4) Sausages- their are nitrate free and lower sodium than most
5) Sandwich meat- again, nitrate free, lower sodium, cheaper than elsewhere
6) Organic Peanut Butter- ingredient: peanuts. That's all we want in it.
7) Giant jugs of Olive oil- way cheaper.

You just have to know your prices. We also use walmart and aldi.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #119 on: September 06, 2018, 12:18:44 PM »
Here's more I haven't seen mentioned:

DH bought my wedding ring at Costco. Sure, I could just wear a piece of string tied around my finger - or nothing at all - but I'm a sentimentimental sap and I just love it.

All my eyeglasses come from Costco, and I have the kind of correction that costs big bucks if I don't want them to look like Coke bottle bottoms (I don't - they're too heavy). Decent assortment, great service and prices.

DH got his hearing aids there, saved a fortune and got the latest technology, which is absolutely crucial. He has adapted to them beautifully.

You'll pry my Costco card out of my cold, dead hands.

Costco may not work for everyone, but it sure does for me and my family. BTW, I hate their celery and never buy it there. No big deal.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: September 06, 2018, 12:47:26 PM »
^^^

We bought our "replacement" wedding rings at Costco.  It was very romantic.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #121 on: September 06, 2018, 12:47:50 PM »

DH bought my wedding ring at Costco. Sure, I could just wear a piece of string tied around my finger - or nothing at all - but I'm a sentimentimental sap and I just love it.

All my eyeglasses come from Costco, and I have the kind of correction that costs big bucks if I don't want them to look like Coke bottle bottoms (I don't - they're too heavy). Decent assortment, great service and prices.

DH got his hearing aids there, saved a fortune and got the latest technology, which is absolutely crucial. He has adapted to them beautifully.

Costco may not work for everyone, but it sure does for me and my family. BTW, I hate their celery and never buy it there. No big deal.

anyone can use these services. I'm saying maybe if you've got one in your backyard and you come out ahead on the gas with the fees you're paying to be a member its working out for you.  And if you dont have an Aldi or Lidl in your area its probably the best grocery place. but other than that people seem to over estimate its value which is what this thread is asking.

and i assume you're not buying wedding rings annually so a costco cash card could easily get you in the door to buy the rings if you found them to be the best value the one year you need them.

aldi diapers 8c each costco diapers 15c each
very few foods win at costco

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #122 on: September 06, 2018, 01:08:47 PM »

anyone can use these services. I'm saying maybe if you've got one in your backyard and you come out ahead on the gas with the fees you're paying to be a member its working out for you.  And if you dont have an Aldi or Lidl in your area its probably the best grocery place. but other than that people seem to over estimate its value which is what this thread is asking.

and i assume you're not buying wedding rings annually so a costco cash card could easily get you in the door to buy the rings if you found them to be the best value the one year you need them.

Double check that statement. Last I knew, non-members could undergo vision and hearing screenings provided by independent practitioners at the stores, but only members could purchase glasses, lenses, and hearing aids through Costco.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #123 on: September 06, 2018, 01:50:14 PM »

OP was asking specifically about groceries.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: September 06, 2018, 01:59:13 PM »

Double check that statement. Last I knew, non-members could undergo vision and hearing screenings provided by independent practitioners at the stores, but only members could purchase glasses, lenses, and hearing aids through Costco.

Could use the exact same cash card trick. We're about saving money on this site and if you can easily get around an annual subscription why wouldn't you.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #125 on: September 06, 2018, 02:32:49 PM »
Lol  I read this and thought you had a very dry sense of humor / trying to push Border42 into a response...
- but then I reread and I think you are being straight up.

For fun, the items in red are the ones that most people looking to save money on monthly expenses cut out, what I thought you were kidding about  AND I assume that someone (OP?) really worried that a Costco membership fee may or may not be worth it, is likely a person looking to reduce monthly expenses where a $100/month savings matters to them.

Costco is great. I have the (higher fee) executive membership, but that extra fee includes roadside assistance to go along with my Costco-sourced Ameriprise car insurance, and another year end rebate check. I also use their Citi credit card (does this have cash back rewards on store items? -- yep, 0.5% hahaha), purely for shopping there and for the 4% rebate on all gas purchases.

Stuff I always buy at Costco:
Dog food and biscuits - Kirkland
Gas
Kirkland products: kleenex (? do you buy a lot of kleenex?), rum, gin, salsa, potato chips, vitamins, pesto, paper towels, allergy meds (maybe)
Beer
Cereal
Eggs
Milk
Rotisserie chicken
Fresh meat
Apples
Bananas
Stuffed pasta
Coffee beans (maybe? IDK how this compares to "basic" brands(whole, I grind them at home)
Laundry detergent (how much laundry does one need to do for savings on this to matter a lot? it should be only $0.10/load, $30/yr or less if you are worried)
Dishwasher detergent (ummm,,, can reduce this if on budget..shouldn't cost more than $20/yr?)
Restaurant gift cards (instant 20-30% off for places we tend to go anyway)

Stuff I never buy there: (because of easy to find cheaper sales elsewhere)
Soda
Tires  _ i only highlight this because how often are people buying tires?  Yes, it makes sense to price shop and the year you buy tires the price+ membership might be cheaper, but like you I find them cheaper elsewhere... (usually buy through Discount Tire, on a sale + manufacturer rebate)
Motor oil

Anyway -- just meant to show where you made me smile, thinking that you had a dry sense of humor, not meant to condemn purchases, or anything.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 02:56:42 PM by Goldielocks »

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: September 06, 2018, 02:42:47 PM »

Aldi is a fantastic option, and we have one near my house. I just paid $24.99 for a set of 100% cotton sheets to replace an old, heavily worn set. Another $20 got me two cans of beans, two containers of cottage cheese, a package of pecans, and a big bag of fresh produce. In my area, some products are cheaper at Aldi, while others are cheaper at Costco. Both stores offer high-quality products. I can get 95% of our groceries between the two stores (the other 5% includes things like corn tortillas when it's too hot to make them from scratch, certified gluten-free oats, and produce beyond the sometimes limited fresh/frozen stocks at the other stores).

Aldi must be different where you are, because every one I've been in (in three states) have been in sketchy areas.  They have filthy floors, horrible-looking produce, anemic meat and disinterested staff. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #127 on: September 06, 2018, 02:58:46 PM »

Aldi must be different where you are, because every one I've been in (in three states) have been in sketchy areas.  They have filthy floors, horrible-looking produce, anemic meat and disinterested staff.

If there's one thing I've learned from the various Aldi threads on this forum, it's that quality and selection vary widely among stores and regions (assuming the region has an Aldi at all).

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #128 on: September 06, 2018, 03:08:19 PM »

You’re in Orlando? The Aldi in New Port Richey is lovely, and they do have wine.

I thought the Aldi in Chicago was in a kind of sketchy neighborhood, but it was nice enough inside.

I figure that any store or office that looks luxurious will include that in the prices, though, so I’m not too fussy about that.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 03:10:07 PM by Cranky »

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #129 on: September 06, 2018, 03:27:46 PM »
Lol  I read this and thought you had a very dry sense of humor / trying to push Border42 into a response...
- but then I reread and I think you are being straight up.

For fun, the items in red are the ones that most people looking to save money on monthly expenses cut out, what I thought you were kidding about  AND I assume that someone (OP?) really worried that a Costco membership fee may or may not be worth it, is likely a person looking to reduce monthly expenses where a $100/month savings matters to them.

Anyway -- just meant to show where you made me smile, thinking that you had a dry sense of humor, not meant to condemn purchases, or anything.

I went back and re-read the OP -- and you're right, a lot of the stuff I buy at Costco is stuff that you'd probably want to eliminate if cutting costs as much as possible.  I wasn't responding to that in my post, nor trying to provoke Boarder42.  I wasn't joking about that list -- it is actually what I buy there.

FWIW, Citi's Costco cash back in the US is 2% rebate for purchases at Costco.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #130 on: September 06, 2018, 03:46:34 PM »
Ah, the google search gave me Capital One's rate, not Citi card.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: September 06, 2018, 04:28:30 PM »
I thought of something else that is enormously cheaper at Costco: store brand medication. I buy their generic version Zyrtec and it was $15.07 (with tax) for a full year supply. Even the very cheapest unit price of the generic at Walmart is over $54/yr for the exact same thing (I just checked online).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #132 on: September 06, 2018, 04:48:20 PM »
Hey @boarder42, you know I love you in the most chaste "Don't Pay Off Your Mortgage" way possible, but I don't have an Aldi anywhere within striking distance, so I'm doing the best I can with what I've got. I also use 99 Cents Only (regional chain) and Grocery Outlet (especially on Senior Mornings for the 10% discount). I shop them first, then fill the rest of my list at Costco. I live in an affluent area. Rents are crazy expensive and most grocery chain's prices reflect that. When I darken the door of a Safeway, I am shocked at their prices, sale or no sale. Shocked, I tell you!

I am a fan of The Frugal Girl (pre-MMM, no less), and she's a big Aldi supporter. On our honeymoon in Orlando, between the airport and our condo, we spotted an Aldi. We pulley a u-ey and grocery shopped. We liked it so much we went back later in the week. There is now one near our rental properties in SoCal, so we hit that one when we're down there, but our last trip there was in January, boo!

It's okay if Costco doesn't work for you, really.

And OMG, my nearest Costco is one of the top ten in the country. It is always insanely busy. I just adopt a Zen attitude. I know a lot of the people who work there now, so it's a visit to a friendly place. I like that.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #133 on: September 06, 2018, 05:48:45 PM »
Fun facts about Costco (canada):

Average Spend per year per membership: $2,200  (fits with the "$200 per shop" image)
Busiest Store in Canada:  South Calgary  (Think affluent, new, family-oriented, suburban neighborhoods)

Worldwide -- top seller is the toilet paper.  Which is funny because very few people upthread mentioned buying toilet paper as their "good deal".   One or two mentioned paper towel, and kleenex, but not many mentioned toilet paper.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #134 on: September 06, 2018, 05:54:24 PM »
Fun facts about Costco (canada):

Average Spend per year per membership: $2,200  (fits with the "$200 per shop" image)
Busiest Store in Canada:  South Calgary  (Think affluent, new, family-oriented, suburban neighborhoods)

Worldwide -- top seller is the toilet paper.  Which is funny because very few people upthread mentioned buying toilet paper as their "good deal".   One or two mentioned paper towel, and kleenex, but not many mentioned toilet paper.

That's really interesting! According to Mint we spent $881 at Costco in 2017. So far we're at $689 this year It's actually just barely worth it for us to have a membership - we save some, but not a ton.

We don't buy TP there - No Frills is way cheaper.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #135 on: September 06, 2018, 06:53:10 PM »
Hey @boarder42, you know I love you in the most chaste "Don't Pay Off Your Mortgage" way possible, but I don't have an Aldi anywhere within striking distance, so I'm doing the best I can with what I've got. I also use 99 Cents Only (regional chain) and Grocery Outlet (especially on Senior Mornings for the 10% discount). I shop them first, then fill the rest of my list at Costco. I live in an affluent area. Rents are crazy expensive and most grocery chain's prices reflect that. When I darken the door of a Safeway, I am shocked at their prices, sale or no sale. Shocked, I tell you!

I am a fan of The Frugal Girl (pre-MMM, no less), and she's a big Aldi supporter. On our honeymoon in Orlando, between the airport and our condo, we spotted an Aldi. We pulley a u-ey and grocery shopped. We liked it so much we went back later in the week. There is now one near our rental properties in SoCal, so we hit that one when we're down there, but our last trip there was in January, boo!

It's okay if Costco doesn't work for you, really.

And OMG, my nearest Costco is one of the top ten in the country. It is always insanely busy. I just adopt a Zen attitude. I know a lot of the people who work there now, so it's a visit to a friendly place. I like that.

I'm sure if their is no Aldi it's probably worth it if it's within 5-10 miles of your house.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #136 on: September 06, 2018, 07:13:23 PM »

Could use the exact same cash card trick. We're about saving money on this site and if you can easily get around an annual subscription why wouldn't you.

It’s something to consider, sure. I think it’s a great idea for the OP to see if Costco shopping would be useful.

I’m not too fussed about the rare subscription that I actually use. Our household expenses are low: $700/month for mortgage/property tax/insurance (actually less, but I round up), no kids, no commute for either of us. No gym, no cable TV, no student loans, no central AC, older cars, Project Fi phones, maybe one restaurant/convenience meal per month. I don’t think we’ve bought clothing since I picked up a couple of $10 skorts at Costco in early spring. I’m sure most people on this site have what someone else would consider an unnecessary expense.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #137 on: September 06, 2018, 07:22:24 PM »
I buy bananas but I end up throwing some away almost every time.

Bananas that are getting over-ripe can easily be thrown in the freezer to use later in smoothies/banana bread/muffins.  I never throw away bananas...

I already have enough bananas in the freezer for smoothies, along with cubes of plain yogurt frozen in ice cube trays :D I can't justify getting a chest or upright dedicated freezer to store more bananas. The cost of running it monthly (somewhere between $2-$3) is more than the cost of any saved bananas (and other things), not even accounting acquisition costs (assume new chest freezer at $0 cost). Plus a dedicated freezer takes up space. For 1 person the freezer attached to my refrigerator is while I wouldn't say "plenty" of space, its perfectly adequate although almost always stuffed full. Stuff in there still gets freezer burned sometimes because it doesn't all get used fast enough.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #138 on: September 06, 2018, 08:14:42 PM »

Mine has limited produce, only some of which is cheaper than Ralph's/Kroger's, Milk is more expensive, now that my husband doesn't insisted on Jumbo, eggs are cheapest at Costco, I have never seen whole wheat flour and I don't like guessing what is going to be available week to week. My husband needs his routines and if I can't get what I came to the store for, what is the point of going?

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #139 on: September 07, 2018, 10:38:41 AM »
Unless you've charted actual prices at Costco and your local alternatives for all the things you use, there is absolutely no way to know for sure. 
We have a farmers' market and dairy that are several miles closer than Costco and cheaper.  The caveat (of course there would be one!) is that food bought from farmers has more dirt on it than things you buy pre-washed and packed in plastic at Costco.  It makes meal time prep go quicker for the Costco shopper than for me.  All my lettuce and spinach is full of sand, the kale has stems, beets have tops, and I have to chop up my cabbage and carrots.   
The experience that soured me on buying in bulk in the Costco/Sam's/BJ's type stores was living thru Hurricane Sandy.  With no power for an extended period, we learned just how long our frozen food lasts.  I will never again purchase food that can't be consumed before it would spoil.  Our price book proved that maintaining several weeks' inventory of protein using my own electricity does not save money if I have to buy the food.  I'll gladly can or freeze a bumper crop of garden produce.  But steep discounts on chicken parts and every other kind of protein get repeated regularly at every store (proven via my price-book).  Better to store the stuff at Aldi's or ShopRite than in a freezer in my own house.  Everytime there is another hurricane, forest fire, tornado or flood and people need to evacuate -- I'm reminded of the futility of stuff.  "Stuff" is not just excess clothes and decorative household things, but it's also the 24 month supply of toothpaste that someone scored with double coupons.  A better place to stash our cash isn't in stocks of individual items in the pantry or freezer, but in an index fund.   

genesismachine

• Stubble
« Reply #140 on: September 07, 2018, 01:15:57 PM »
I noticed nobody mentioned the non-store items. Costco has a website with decent stuff on it. If you need home improvement stuff (toilets, showers, tile, flooring, tools, etc...) they are usually cheapest by 25-50%. Not chump change when you're spending 1000's of dollars.

I bought an electric car through them and when the dealership told me the price, I was shocked beyond words when they came back with the Costco price. I think the blue book range was like 25-30k and the Costco price was 22k. That one purchase alone paid for a lifetime of annual memberships.

On a side note, you don't need meat for strength. I recovered way faster (it was very noticeable) than anyone at my Crossfit gym when I was going and had a 1000+ lb powerlifting total (bench/squat/deadlift). I'm sure you can find plenty of examples of strong people who don't eat meat online.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Is Costco really cheaper?
« Reply #141 on: September 10, 2018, 11:25:32 AM »
I recently bought an item from this seller on ebay. After I placed the order I found it odd when I got a notice I was getting a package from Costco. I thought maybe I had ordered something from Costco and forgot. Nope. So anyway, the package arrived and it was the item I ordered from this person on ebay. I went to Costco website and saw the identical product being sold there for about $6 less than the person on ebay was selling it for. So, I am guessing he/she is doing some kind of drop shipping thing thru Costco. I paid this person and in turn he/she orders it from Costco and they ship it. The item came from California and the seller is located in CO. The item was jeans and they didn't fit right so I contacted the seller to return them. They sent me a prepaid return label and the return is going back to CA to a Costco return center in Mira Loma.

Does anyone know if Costco will do drop shipping like this? This seller has a bunch of Costco items on their ebay store. This all seems kind of odd to me that Costco would do this. Maybe this person just does it without permission from Costco. All the Costco items are jacked up in price on the ebay site.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #142 on: September 10, 2018, 12:11:22 PM »
Roadrunner, I have purchased things with my costco card, and had them mailed to people directly (gifts for family). The same if they needed to return something they can do it either in the store or via return label. So I'm assuming Costco is fine with this sort of thing.
When the kids were in diapers it was really worth it to have Costco membership for their diapers and diaper wipes.
I signed up for a Costco membership when my computer was killed by a lightning strike and had it replaced. For me Costco is not cost effective, because I shop more. I do feel like the things I purchased were of value (everything from a sink faucet combo for a kitchen remodel, swim goggles and speedo suits for kids, some clothes for me, replacement vacumn cleaner) but I just feel like I bought more stuff than I usually do, even for food. I was able to get a bunch of photos developed and some protein powder for a family member.

My favorite things (the things I will miss) are their kirkland organic olive oil, their rainforest unground coffee, their large but inexpensive wine selection, prewashed salad selections, spanokopita, and their rotisserie chickens which my kids loved. I'm not a fan of almost everything being the higher grade more expensive version, and the large amounts needing to be purchased. I can do better grocery shopping if I alternate between Harris Teeter focusing on their sale products (and to get their meat) and Food Lion for everything else. 

Admittedly it's been 15 years since I've been in Aldi but from my last experience you couldn't pay me to shop there. They would keep discounting food items (meat and deli items) that were literally discolored and rotten but still for sale, saw mouse droppings and even a live mouse running along an aisle.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 12:14:44 PM by partgypsy »

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #143 on: September 11, 2018, 11:41:12 AM »
I've heard (unconfirmed) that you can shop at Costco without having a membership if you have a gift card.  You may want to buy one online and try that. 

I've done this.  can confirm it works.

For us,  Costco is far enough away that it is a hassle to shop there.

We are fortunate, though, to have a Winco within biking distance (with a safe route) and find that to be the best choice for us.    They have an awesome bulk foods section. 

Dr.Jeckyl

• Stubble
« Reply #144 on: September 11, 2018, 12:22:27 PM »
I have (had) a Costco membership. It expired at the end of last month and the wife and I are debating whether to re up. It seems that we spend way too much when we shop at Costco and I really never feel like I save that much money, except when I eat at the food court. There is a Costco near my work and I would fill up on gas there early in the morning before the store opened and probably saved a decent amount on gas that way. The few things I feel that we were saving money on like allergy medicine I found even cheaper on Amazon. It all depends on what you buy there and go there with a list. I know of way too many people that overspend going to Costco in the name of saving money. Like my boss who bought a $1000 grill there that he didn't even know he needed!

Aldi FTW. We started shopping at Aldi on a regular basis a couple years ago. Plenty of good produce, staples, and snack foods. We are not a big fan of their meat selection but it seems to be getting better all the time. We wait for the monthly meat sale at the locally owned supermarket chain and go there. They have butchers on site and better cuts with a bigger selection. Aldi has even started carrying good quality non-food staples like dishwashing detergent, laundry detergent, paper towels, and toilet paper.

ROF Expat

• Bristles
« Reply #145 on: September 11, 2018, 01:22:43 PM »
I thought of something else that is enormously cheaper at Costco: store brand medication. I buy their generic version Zyrtec and it was $15.07 (with tax) for a full year supply. Even the very cheapest unit price of the generic at Walmart is over $54/yr for the exact same thing (I just checked online).

This.  Savings on allergy medication alone almost pays for my membership.  Gasoline savings pays for whatever is left.  My Costco also had unmatched prices on LED and CFL lightbulbs (partly subsidized by the local power company). 

For me the only problem of shopping at Costco is the temptation to buy things I don't really need --because they are "such a good deal." 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #146 on: September 11, 2018, 01:27:24 PM »

This.  Savings on allergy medication alone almost pays for my membership.  Gasoline savings pays for whatever is left.  My Costco also had unmatched prices on LED and CFL lightbulbs (partly subsidized by the local power company). 

For me the only problem of shopping at Costco is the temptation to buy things I don't really need --because they are "such a good deal."

Get allergy shots.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #147 on: September 11, 2018, 01:31:55 PM »
The co-pay on my dd's allergy shots is $17 every month, forever.

I can buy a year's worth of generic Zyrtec at Sam's for less than $17.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #148 on: September 11, 2018, 01:35:49 PM »
You don't need to get allergy shots forever though.  After a few years you just stop having allergies.  Cost aside, it's way better for your health than pumping yourself full of antihistamines day after day.

ROF Expat

• Bristles
« Reply #149 on: September 11, 2018, 02:22:08 PM »
You don't need to get allergy shots forever though.  After a few years you just stop having allergies.  Cost aside, it's way better for your health than pumping yourself full of antihistamines day after day.

Allergy shots aren't a good alternative for me right now. 

I did allergy shots as a kid.  If they helped, I didn't notice it.  They've probably improved, but my lifestyle involves major international moves every few years, and I've been told that shots that are effective in one place might not be effective in a new place with different allergens.