Author Topic: Inflation Reduction Act, Solar, Heat Pump, Induction Stove  (Read 2626 times)

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
Inflation Reduction Act, Solar, Heat Pump, Induction Stove
« on: September 09, 2022, 02:44:47 PM »
With the passing of the Inflation Reduction Act, it would seem that there will now be a 30% incentive for solar, up to $8,000 for installing a new heat pump, and $840 for installing a new induction stove.

I have a new house about 2 months old, with a brand new natural gas furnace and gas stove.  I also have a gas fireplace.  I also have an EV, so going solar is something I've been interested in, as each helps justify the cost of the other(to me).  If everything ran off electricity, the idea of having zero energy bill forever for both house and car(s) seems pretty amazing.

Is it crazy to consider replacing a brand new natural gas furnace with a heat pump, along with a brand new gas stove for an induction stove?  Normally, I feel like it would be pretty stupid to spend a lot of money to switch those items over since brand new, but it seems like the incentives might make it either a VERY low cost switch, or possibly no cost at all.  I'm sure I could recoup some money by selling the like new gas stove if I replace it, and I hope to find an HVAC installer who would swap the heat pump out and take the like new gas furnace as full or partial payment for the work done.  If the existing ductwork for central heat and air could be used, maybe it would be feasible?

I did something similar with the almost brand new electric water heater.  I had a hybrid water heater installed and my plumber took the old water heater as payment.  With rebates and incentives my net cost was $500.(Would have been free with the new bill...doh!)

Am I crazy for considering changing out brand new items?  I would love to have solar cover all or almost all of my heating, cooling, electricity, and energy for the car.

Obviously I will want to make sure that my local utilities buys back excess electricity at full price but I *think* that is the case.  So a properly sized solar system can produce excess energy when I don't need it, in order to cover heating costs during cloudy days.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
Re: Inflation Reduction Act, Solar, Heat Pump, Induction Stove
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 10:20:50 PM »
With the passing of the Inflation Reduction Act, it would seem that there will now be a 30% incentive for solar, up to $8,000 for installing a new heat pump, and $840 for installing a new induction stove.

So it seems.  However, other than the 30% solar credit, I believe the rest are pretty severely income gated based on median income in your area, so it's not a given that you can get the full credit for them.  Check your income vs the limits before assuming you'll get the credit.

If everything ran off electricity, the idea of having zero energy bill forever for both house and car(s) seems pretty amazing.

If you're going to replace everything gas and shut off your gas service, that would make sense, if you're OK with the reduction in energy diversity.  That's not a bet I'd be making right now the way global energy systems are going.  Also, check what your area's net metering policies are, and what they're likely to be in the future if you can find information on that.  The legacy kWh for kWh net metering, use the grid for free sort of arrangements are very rapidly going away, so just because you have solar doesn't automatically mean a zero energy bill.  Solar groups tend opposed to this, but I've no real problems with it, the grid has to be maintained somehow, and the energy bit of the bill isn't usually the dominant factor.  So don't just assume "solar means no energy bill."  It may, for some while, but you can tell a solar salesperson is lying when their lips are moving, so do your own research on what's in your area.  Then do your own solar, because you can do it for around $1.25/W installed if you do the work yourself.  Pre-incentive.

Is it crazy to consider replacing a brand new natural gas furnace with a heat pump, along with a brand new gas stove for an induction stove?

The heat pump, no, though if you live anywhere particularly cold, you probably want to get it set up as a dual fuel system, in which the gas furnace will take over when the outdoor temperatures are low enough.  You get the energy efficiency of the heat pump during the shoulder seasons, and the output of the gas furnace in the dead of winter, if it's particularly cold.  With as little as you'd be using the gas furnace, it should last about forever - just be sure to fire it every month or so during the winter to keep any corrosion at bay.

As for the induction stove, is your kitchen wired for electric to the stove?  Unless you've got a 14-50 outlet down there or something similar, you're also going to have to pay someone to run electrical wiring to the kitchen, and a fairly hefty bundle of it (40-50A).  It's not staggeringly expensive, but neither is it trivially cheap.

If you want to use less gas, you might get a countertop 120V induction plate and use that, see how you like it.  I know some people who use those almost exclusively because they don't like their stovetop.

Normally, I feel like it would be pretty stupid to spend a lot of money to switch those items over since brand new, but it seems like the incentives might make it either a VERY low cost switch, or possibly no cost at all.  I'm sure I could recoup some money by selling the like new gas stove if I replace it, and I hope to find an HVAC installer who would swap the heat pump out and take the like new gas furnace as full or partial payment for the work done.  If the existing ductwork for central heat and air could be used, maybe it would be feasible?

Again, where's your income?  As I understand it, you only get 100% rebate if you're below 80% of the median area income, 50% rebate from 80% to 150%, and nothing above that.  It's possible you're down there, but with what sounds like brand new construction, an EV... you don't sound like the target for that, and it might take some serious creativity to get your AGI down far enough.  You might be able to get some credit for the nearly-new units, but I wouldn't count on that, either.  I know what used gas ranges go for from kitchen remodels, and it's pennies on the dollar.  Good for buyers, bad for sellers.

Depending on your electrical service and panel, you might also have some issues with panel capacity - adding 50A for a stove, having the backfeed space for solar, etc... will require a pretty good sized panel.  My experience has been that "gas homes" tend to be pretty badly underpaneled if you want to pure electric, so there are costs to be had there as well.

Am I crazy for considering changing out brand new items?

Mostly.  If it works out as you hope it will, it might be a decent plan, but I seriously doubt it will work like you hope it does, and I think you'll be out an awful lot of money for fairly minimal gains.

Obviously I will want to make sure that my local utilities buys back excess electricity at full price but I *think* that is the case.  So a properly sized solar system can produce excess energy when I don't need it, in order to cover heating costs during cloudy days.

The question there is not only what they're doing now, but what things might change to.  I ended up, mostly through luck and optimism, grandfathered into a kWh for kWh plan until late 2045 with my solar install, but that's very unusual.  Most of the time, if you have solar and they decide to change the rate schedules to reduce payout, that just applies.  So if some solar payback promises are on a 30 year schedule, don't assume things will remain unchanged for 30 years.

But with the exception of solar, all of it hinges on your income and how low you can get that.

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 02:50:32 AM »
Love my induction hob. Wouldn't go back to gas even if was cheaper.  If you want a prime example of how technological improvement in consumer goods improves our lives then look no further.

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2022, 02:53:58 AM »
@Syonyk thanks for the excellent feedback.  I'm not sure what the income limits are, as they appear to be regional and I haven't easily found info on that.  Our income is good but our AGI is fairly low compared to our total yearly compensation.

I hadn't considered just leaving the gas furnace hooked up as backup.  If the heat pump turns out to be feasible, I was planning to leave the gas fireplace hooked up, but that may not provide quite enough heat during extreme cold spells.  Not sure.  Kind of hate the idea of paying the minimum monthly fee for gas service year round but its something to consider.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 11:27:57 AM »
Posting to follow. I started a thread about induction stoves and the incentive program, so I’m curious what additional thoughts come this way.  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/buy-induction-stove-now-or-later/

The biggest uncertainty for me is the details of how the incentives are structured. It sounds like it will vary state by state. I’ve already looked up the median income, so we’ll probably get the full amount. I don’t know how stores will price things. Are prices going to get jacked up because of increased demand? Who wouldn’t pass up the opportunity to get a brand new fancy stove for nothing?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 02:24:50 PM by uniwelder »

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 11:45:03 AM »
Interesting.   I've been pondering having a natural gas generator installed as a backup to the electrical distribution system.    We had a big storm last summer that knocked out the electrical system for up to 2 weeks for some people in Ottawa.   

And there was a big tornado in 2018 that knocked out power for 2 weeks.   It went right down the high voltage distribution line like it was a linear trailer park!     

And there's the slowly increasing trend to electric cars which will start to stress the distribution system.

It's really only a problem here in the winter when we need electricity to run the natural gas fired furnace.   My conclusion is that it's still to early to justify a generator.   

There's more to energy than cost.    Diversity isn't a bad idea at all...

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2022, 12:22:44 PM »
An issue I'm having with figuring out eligibility for the rebate(s), is what source to use for median household income.  Every link I check has as different value, different year.  I'm seeing numbers from $50,000-$70,000 and that's enough range to possibly exclude me altogether if its on the lower end.

spf3million

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2022, 06:20:24 AM »
This site looks pretty reasonable as a source for local AMI:

https://ami-lookup-tool.fanniemae.com/amilookuptool/

I don't know if this is the "official" dataset but it should get you in the ballpark.

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2022, 06:37:32 AM »
This site looks pretty reasonable as a source for local AMI:

https://ami-lookup-tool.fanniemae.com/amilookuptool/

I don't know if this is the "official" dataset but it should get you in the ballpark.

Thanks for the link.  It lists median household income for my area at $90,000.  US census bureau lists it as $50,000. 

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2022, 06:48:30 AM »
In normal times on normal spending items, it would be a ridiculously un-mustachian thing to do.

But these are not normal times, and there are things that are more important than making the most economically rational decision.

As a family, we've decided that one of our FI goals was to get our house and transportation as close to net-zero as possible before pulling the plug on early retirement.  I switched to a heat-pump this summer and am incredibly glad I did (aside from a few issues with the contractor).

As for FI plans, getting to net-zero on home energy use and transportation is effectively a rounding error.  It might adjust our FI timeline by a couple months at most.  I'm willing to live with that tradeoff.  I'd even say that it makes FI less risky, as you're taking a big chunk of inflation risk out of your future when you cover your utility bills with solar.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2022, 06:51:24 AM »
Also, there's another thread floating around that I can't find now about induction stoves.  Sounds like Lowe's is having a sale on one that might make it worth buying even before the incentives kick in.  I want to say it was priced around $1,100.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2022, 09:28:03 AM »
Also, there's another thread floating around that I can't find now about induction stoves.  Sounds like Lowe's is having a sale on one that might make it worth buying even before the incentives kick in.  I want to say it was priced around $1,100.

That’s mine. There’s a link to it a few comments up.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2022, 11:05:10 AM »
@Syonyk thanks for the excellent feedback.  I'm not sure what the income limits are, as they appear to be regional and I haven't easily found info on that.  Our income is good but our AGI is fairly low compared to our total yearly compensation.
@UltraStache - I used the Fannie Mae tool for area median income: https://ami-lookup-tool.fanniemae.com/amilookuptool/

Note that it appears that AMI is typically gross income, not AGI. Not sure how it will be interpreted for this act, as different government programs often use different income definitions.

https://habitatpwp.org/what-is-ami-why-does-it-matter/

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2022, 01:28:52 PM »
I've been trying to get a ballpark on what a good, high efficiency heat pump might run, compared to the $4-$8,000 in rebates available.  I haven't had any luck just googling prices on the higher quality units, such as the Bryant Evolution 284 ANV; 24 SEER 13HSPF, variable speed.  Most seem to be dealer only pricing.

rockeTree

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2022, 11:46:01 AM »
An issue I'm having with figuring out eligibility for the rebate(s), is what source to use for median household income.  Every link I check has as different value, different year.  I'm seeing numbers from $50,000-$70,000 and that's enough range to possibly exclude me altogether if its on the lower end.

https://www.rewiringamerica.org/app/ira-calculator these fine folks allow you to go straight to the answer without having to calculate your percentage of local AMI :-)

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2023, 05:40:18 PM »
Reviving this old thread with some updates:

-We had a 10.53kW solar system installed.  The money we spent on solar would not pay for our electricity for the next 30 years. I'm quite confident the money would be gone in less than 10 years.
-Had kitchen wired for induction stove for $183.  As I understand it, I'll get a 50% tax credit on this. so ~$91 net cost.
-Sold gas stove for $350
-Bought induction stove...delivery scheduled for 8/21.  $840 tax rebate, plus saved $350 from sale of old stove.  This was an important change for us if only for the indoor air quality improvement.  The tax rebates, cost offset from selling old one, not burning stuff i.e. environment, not dumping gobs of heat into the house every time we cook and using more AC, not leaving a window open while we cook while its hot out and using even more AC, and cooking for "free" with solar are all just icing on the cake. 
-Timing was lucky in that my wife's 50th birthday just passed.  Her family in Germany sprang for a very high quality Fissler induction cookware set.  I'm glad *I* didn't spend the money on it, but damn, it sure is nice.

Current plan is to *STOP SPENDING MONEY* haha.  But also love the idea of someday heating with electricity and therefore "free" solar power as well.  In order to do this, we will have to install a heat pump.  If I do this, it has to make sense financially and also be capable of providing ALL heating needs even in the coldest weather.  I don't want to resort to back up resistive heat every time it dips below 30.  So I have to find a system that will work well to below 20 and is cost effective.

Knowing that a heat pump will likely cause us to use more electricity than we generate, here is my current plan:

Install energy monitor that will monitor AC and dryer 24/7 for the next year.  These are inexpensive.  Current AC is 13 SEER.  If I get an exact number on how many kWh we use per year in AC, I can closely approximate energy savings of going from 13 SEER to 20+.  I'll also monitor exactly how much electricity we use from our dryer in 1 year, and figure out how much we'd save with a heat pump dryer($840 rebate).  I'll use the energy savings from upgrading the 13 SEER AC, heat pump dryer, and the cost savings of eliminating the cost of gas heat to see it the numbers work.

Pretty sure I'll qualify for 50% rebate up to $8k.  Rough guess of the top of my head is that $16k will be the max ballpark of what might make sense, making my cost $8k, and that assumes I'll save $800/year by switching to heat pump.

I got a quote for $13,500 for a Lennox EL18XPV but installer said it needs backup resistive heat below 30 degrees. Seems damn expensive for a setup that doesn't operate at low temp.  I'm going to get several more quotes to see if there are some good options out there.  Trane?  Goodman?  Carrier?

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2023, 06:00:30 PM »
Trane XV20i claims effective to 17F, actually that it can "operate" down to zero on their website.  Would probably cover 99% for me in southern PA.  Wife love our gas fireplace so doubt I'll be able to disconnect the gas line.  That might be sufficient for a bit of backup emergency heat.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 06:24:48 PM by EchoStache »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2023, 06:06:25 PM »
Geothermal should get you further than air source heat pumps. And/or you could get a wood burning stove/fireplace insert for the last little bit of heating load.

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2023, 06:23:11 PM »
I'm open to geothermal, just not sure if the pricing will be feasible.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2023, 07:06:09 PM »
Yeah, 100%

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2023, 07:47:11 PM »

-We had a 10.53kW solar system installed.  The money we spent on solar would not pay for our electricity for the next 30 years. I'm quite confident the money would be gone in less than 10 years.
-Had kitchen wired for induction stove for $183.  As I understand it, I'll get a 50% tax credit on this. so ~$91 net cost.
-Sold gas stove for $350
-Bought induction stove...delivery scheduled for 8/21.  $840 tax rebate, plus saved $350 from sale of old stove.  This was an important change for us if only for the indoor air quality improvement.  The tax rebates, cost offset from selling old one, not burning stuff i.e. environment, not dumping gobs of heat into the house every time we cook and using more AC, not leaving a window open while we cook while its hot out and using even more AC, and cooking for "free" with solar are all just icing on the cake. 

Nice progress!

Our quote for the induction wiring came to $1100. We're going to wait on that until the wiring rebate comes through. That leads me to...

I'm confused about your stove tax rebate. My understanding is that the "Electrification Rebates" ($840 for the stove) is for the state portion of the IRA. Is your state already giving away that money?

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2023, 08:33:31 PM »
Current plan is to *STOP SPENDING MONEY* haha.  But also love the idea of someday heating with electricity and therefore "free" solar power as well.  In order to do this, we will have to install a heat pump.  If I do this, it has to make sense financially and also be capable of providing ALL heating needs even in the coldest weather.  I don't want to resort to back up resistive heat every time it dips below 30.  So I have to find a system that will work well to below 20 and is cost effective.
Any decent modern heat pump will work well below 20F without hitting resistance heating. Heck, Mr. Cool did a demo at -24F with the resistive heat disabled. Worked fine.

Personally, I'd look at one or more Mitsubishi mini split heat pump systems. You can get up to at least 33 SEER, which means in cooling mode it would use WAY less electricity than your current AC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v8vizQXwss

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2023, 08:37:10 PM »

-Sold gas stove for $350

Nice progress!

Our quote for the induction wiring came to $1100. We're going to wait on that until the wiring rebate comes through. That leads me to...

I'm confused about your stove tax rebate. My understanding is that the "Electrification Rebates" ($840 for the stove) is for the state portion of the IRA. Is your state already giving away that money?

In Virginia, there doesn’t seem to be any inclination towards the electric stove rebate. Maybe sometime in 2024, if ever. We’ll probably have to wait for a Democrat to be elected governor again.

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2023, 03:40:16 AM »

-Sold gas stove for $350

Nice progress!

Ugg I thought this was all in place already....maybe not.....

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2023, 03:42:20 AM »
Any decent modern heat pump will work well below 20F without hitting resistance heating. Heck, Mr. Cool did a demo at -24F with the resistive heat disabled. Worked fine.

Personally, I'd look at one or more Mitsubishi mini split heat pump systems. You can get up to at least 33 SEER, which means in cooling mode it would use WAY less electricity than your current AC.

How are these 33 SEER, and apparently work to below zero, when $20,000+ ducted systems are barely over 20?

My house is fully ducted for central air and heat.  Do mini splits require registers to be hung all over the house or can they use existing duct work?

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2023, 05:27:10 AM »

How are these 33 SEER, and apparently work to below zero, when $20,000+ ducted systems are barely over 20?

My house is fully ducted for central air and heat.  Do mini splits require registers to be hung all over the house or can they use existing duct work?

I didn’t click the link, but one way that wall mounted mini splits are more efficient, is there aren’t any duct losses, so besides not losing due to heat transfer, the blower motor is really tiny. I don’t think heat transfer losses are calculated in SEER, but the power consumption of the blower is.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2023, 07:18:22 AM »

I have a Mitsubishi unit.  Getting a Mitsubishi installed was about $20k before incentives for my house.  Although incentives in my locality cut the net price roughly in half.  A huge part of the system cost is in the labor. 

I have a single Mitsubishi outdoor unit that powers both my ducted system and two mini-splits upstairs.  You can actually mix and match a ducted system with mini-split heads.

It is highly energy efficient.  I used a bit more than 5,000kWh for heating with it this winter, but I'll only use about 1,000kWh for cooling over the summer.  Heating works out to be roughly the same cost as natural gas, or maybe slightly higher.  But I spend less on cooling.  Annual operating costs are ballpark similar to my old AC/furnace combo.  It also help me optimize TOU electricity rates, but I haven't really been able to financially model this out. 

Mitsubishi is reputed to be somewhat more expensive than other options, but they seem to have the best reputation in super cold temperatures, and are a very efficient option.  Although I have a friend who's AC went out and their quote for a Mitsubishi came in about $5k lower than a hybrid system after incentives. 

One downside is that not a lot of hvac companies know Mitsubishi.  You might have to search for Mitsubishi specific installers if it's of interest to you. 

I seem to be on the forums less and less these days, so feel free to DM me if you have any specific questions on my heat pump setup.