Author Topic: Illegal things car drivers do to cyclists (a place to vent)  (Read 12255 times)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
Illegal things car drivers do to cyclists (a place to vent)
« on: March 12, 2017, 06:35:21 AM »
I was on my way home from town on my bike and was coming up to a smallish roundabout where the road widened into two lanes, one for left turns (UK) and the one for all other exits. As of last year, each lane has its own clearly-marked spacious-but-single-wide complementary bike lane (good job, local council!).

There I was gliding up to the “other exits” lane when some fucker in a car came in from the “other exits” car lane, cutting me off and pulling up to the roundabout IN THE BIKE LANE. Occasionally people do cut across the bike lane when they realise they’re in the wrong car lane – fair enough, there’s no other way to change lanes, and they’re usually pretty careful. But apparently this driver decided that waiting in the car line behind two other cars was too good for them and decided that the bike lane had been put there for their express car-driving pleasure.

Thank heavens no one was right behind me when I had to slam on the brakes, and that I had slowed down for the roundabout. If I were less polite I would have banged on their rear bonnet and yelled at them. As it was, I’m kicking myself that I didn’t think to get their licence plate until they’d pulled off. Pretty sure the man in the white van at the head of the proper car queue gave them the finger though, so that’s some small consolation.

Knapptyme

• Bristles
Re: Illegal things car drivers do to cyclists (a place to vent)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 06:51:44 AM »
Cars, when waiting to turn onto a road, stop in the crosswalk making it very difficult for me to continue on my way. To be clear, it's a wide path made for bikers and runners that is a few feet from the road which does not have a bike lane. Every cross street has a stop sign to enter this road. These cars have no visibility issues. They are just so darn impatient, they think by scooting out into the crosswalk area will get them ahead in life somehow. When possible, I do hit these cars with a nice slap of the hand. The reactions I get usually involve them cursing me out for touching their vehicle.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 02:31:01 PM »
The road leaving the office is a single lane in each direction with a median and a marked bicycle lane on the right.

There's a stop sign about 1 km down the road from our office building.    Traffic usually backs up at the stop sign around 5:30.

There are always very special people who want to turn right at the stop sign and they use the bike lane as a traffic lane (for most of a km!) to avoid the traffic waiting at the stop sign.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 05:26:02 PM »
The road leaving the office is a single lane in each direction with a median and a marked bicycle lane on the right.

There's a stop sign about 1 km down the road from our office building.    Traffic usually backs up at the stop sign around 5:30.

There are always very special people who want to turn right at the stop sign and they use the bike lane as a traffic lane (for most of a km!) to avoid the traffic waiting at the stop sign.

I certainly don't do this for a km, but in my city, the bike lanes turn to dashed lines about 15-20 feet from the corner and I've been told that I'm actually meant to put my car in the bike lane at that point if I intend to turn right.  If I see a biker, I'm all for letting him go first, but the last thing I want is to crash into someone when I turn right because I don't see them.  So I purposely block that lane.

I love bicycling around town and I go to some effort to read up on biking laws, but I have to say, they really don't make it easy for bikes to survive around cars around here.  There is absolutely no "continuing education" for car drivers and most have no idea how to drive and share the road with bicycles.  Whatever you learned when you took the driver's test at age 17 is the level that most drivers have forever more because another written test is never required unless your license lapses. 

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 05:59:25 PM »
In my suburban college town, where drivers should know better by now, I have been told several times to

• "Get off the road!" or
  • "Get on the sidewalk!"
or just been honked at (presumably for biking on the road). Not technically illegal, but they don't know the laws around us apparently. Even the "Bike Route" and "Share the Road" signs aren't enough, apparently.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 06:01:49 PM »
In my experience, car and bicycle operators are equally guilty of breaking the rules.

The only difference is that the only party likely to die when the rules are broken is the cyclist.

Rocket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 06:04:52 PM »
Speeding past me and then taking a right into a parking lot or driveway so I have to slam on my breaks.  It

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 07:21:53 PM »
Today DH and I were towing a trailer behind his truck through town on a flat, smooth, divided four lane road, complete with center divider and generous bike lanes. Fucking bicyclist was cruising along a full foot outside the bike lane, which was clean, btw. Glass was the first thing I looked for when I saw him outside the bike lane. I rolled down the window and yelled that we were pulling a trailer and that if he valued his life, he'd get back in the bike lane, which he promptly did.

Being a jerk goes both ways. We had a saying in my hard-core cycling days. There's right and then there's dead right. Don't be the latter. If I hadn't yelled at him, our completely legal trailer, moving at or below the speed limit, might have squashed him like a bug. So happy it didn't, but WTF, bicyclist?

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 07:39:59 PM »
I was riding home the other day, and a co-worker decided to overtake me on a narrow lane (with zero on-coming traffic!) without even attempting to move over. Her wheels didnt even cross the centre line markings. Reported her numberplate to the police. So mad. At least if you hate cyclists in general, but you pass someone who works in the same office as you... surely you'd be less of an asshole than normal?

Nothlit

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 09:22:00 PM »
Today DH and I were towing a trailer behind his truck through town on a flat, smooth, divided four lane road, complete with center divider and generous bike lanes. Fucking bicyclist was cruising along a full foot outside the bike lane, which was clean, btw. Glass was the first thing I looked for when I saw him outside the bike lane. I rolled down the window and yelled that we were pulling a trailer and that if he valued his life, he'd get back in the bike lane, which he promptly did.

Being a jerk goes both ways. We had a saying in my hard-core cycling days. There's right and then there's dead right. Don't be the latter. If I hadn't yelled at him, our completely legal trailer, moving at or below the speed limit, might have squashed him like a bug. So happy it didn't, but WTF, bicyclist?

Just because a bike lane is present doesn't mean cyclists are required to use it. Just like a car full of 3 or 4 people is not required to use the carpool lane. It's an option, not a requirement.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 09:52:09 PM »

Just because a bike lane is present doesn't mean cyclists are required to use it. Just like a car full of 3 or 4 people is not required to use the carpool lane. It's an option, not a requirement.

Agreed, in this instance the cyclist owns the lane and you would get cited for illegal passing.  Would you have tried to squeeze past a car that was halfway in the bike lane?  How about a car that was halfway between two drive lanes?

Yelling at this cyclist to get back in his lane is exactly the kind of barbaric driver behavior this thread was created to document.  Thank you for volunteering your assholishness.

edit:  if you're ever unsure which one of you is currently being an asshole, one hint might be to ask "who is currently shouting at someone?"
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 10:48:20 PM by sol »

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 10:44:52 PM »
I would ad that sometimes, the bike lane isn't always the safest place to be. Sometimes there are big pot holes there. Sometimes, people drive or double park there (because emergency blinkers are magic allowing vehicles to stop anywhere, reminds me of this bit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBnkDPj2Wl4).

Or other obstructions, well demonstrated by Casey Neistat https://youtu.be/bzE-IMaegzQ?t=76

Yes, sometimes bicyclists break the law and it's always at their own peril. But come on motorists....who's always going to win the car vs. bike accident? That being said, I know there are certain roads I absolutely do not ride my bike on.

My most fun thing is almost being run over by texters. Yeah I can see you on your fucking phone...

On the other side of things...the dumbest bicyclist I almost ran into while driving was one who put up the sign for a Right turn....and then went left.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 10:48:10 PM »
Thank you for volunteering your assholishness.
Thanks, Sol, but I prefer asshat, should it actually apply.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 10:59:48 PM by Dicey »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 10:52:36 PM »

I was specifically avoiding calling you names, instead labelling your behavior.

But we all make mistakes.  Last winter I almost killed my entire family by cutting off a semi on a snowy highway.  I rationalized it at the time, but it was still a stupid thing to do. 

And I know for a fact I was a raging dick of a cyclists, as a younger man in a college town.  I don't dispute that cyclists can absolutely be at fault in these interactions, just that in this particular case that's not clear.

I try to avoid shouting at people, whether on 2 wheels or 4.  I don't always succeed. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 11:02:04 PM »

I was specifically avoiding calling you names, instead labelling your behavior.

But we all make mistakes.  Last winter I almost killed my entire family by cutting off a semi on a snowy highway.  I rationalized it at the time, but it was still a stupid thing to do. 

And I know for a fact I was a raging dick of a cyclists, as a younger man in a college town.  I don't dispute that cyclists can absolutely be at fault in these interactions, just that in this particular case that's not clear.

I try to avoid shouting at people, whether on 2 wheels or 4.  I don't always succeed.
SOL, I just saw your comment about taking a break on another thread, which made me snort. As to the bolded above, I guess that makes us more alike than not. Peace, man.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 11:37:45 PM »
I've been a victim of road rage while on my bike.  A pickup with a crazy mf tried to run me and a buddy off the road three times.   We called the cops after getting his plate.  I wish I'd called a lawyer.  I found where he lives.  He owns property.  Keep that in mind Dicey.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 11:40:56 PM »
I've been a victim of road rage while on my bike.  A pickup with a crazy mf tried to run me and a buddy off the road three times.   We called the cops after getting his plate.  I wish I'd called a lawyer.  I found where he lives.  He owns property.  Keep that in mind Dicey.
Yeah, thanks Bateaux. Sure, sure, sure, your example is exactly the same as mine. Peace out, man.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 01:31:49 AM »

Yeah, but unlike the carpool lane, choosing to not use a bike lane (other than a safety reason, or need to turn or clear that route) is pretty asshat.

ETA -- and as a driver, I am not checking for cyclists in the road, just the bike lanes.   So it is much easier to not "see" a cyclist who is not where they "should" be.   Kinda like when a cyclist rides on the sidewalk, not the cycle path, I do not look for fast moving objects in the pedestrian zone...when turning.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 06:06:51 PM by Goldielocks »

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 02:10:30 AM »

Yeah, but unlike the carpool lane, choosing to not use a bike lane (other than a safety reason, or need to turn or clear that route) is pretty asshat.

I think we're all agreed that it rubs both ways. It does particularly bother me when I see other cyclists being discourteous because it adds fuel to the anti-cyclists drivers who will lobby against bike infrastructure and, y'know, try to kill us. In this example, what's the point of campaigning for bike lanes if you don't use them? Obviously this is just one cyclist.

Also interesting to think that cycling only became a "thing" here about ten years ago. The driving test took several years to catch up. So probably only 1% of drivers have actually studied the rules of the road for cyclists in any detail. Hopefully things will get better :)

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 03:14:26 PM »
I'm taking the basic motorcycle course this May.   I expect that will improve my vehicular driving habits.   In fact, just thinking about riding a motorcycle is improving my driving habits...

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2017, 06:21:21 PM »

edit:  if you're ever unsure which one of you is currently being an asshole, one hint might be to ask "who is currently shouting at someone?"

If you're shouting from the ground after having been knocked off your bike, though, you might be in the clear.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 08:13:05 AM »
My favorite is when cyclists ride opposite the flow of traffic. We're very car-centric here in the Midwest, so apparently nobody ever learns about the rules for riding a bike.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 09:37:00 AM »

If you're shouting from the ground after having been knocked off your bike, though, you might be in the clear.

In that case, you are just being an asshole back.

Still not recommended.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 10:06:39 AM »
A cyclist intentionally not using an available (and safe) bike lane is either being careless or arrogant.  Either way, they are being an asshat.  Really no excuse even if they have a 'right'.  Isn't it a 'privilege' anyway?

Just because someone CAN do something doesn't mean they SHOULD do something.

I'm a cyclist and a driver and its definitely PEOPLE who are asshats.

In the city, I always ride as far to the right as is safe.  Most of the times that I'm on pavement, I ride on bike paths or in bike lanes.  I don't enjoy playing in traffic at all.  Why stir the pot too?

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 10:26:56 AM »
God didn't make roads for cyclists...or pedestrians.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2017, 10:34:41 AM »

Technically speaking, god didn't make roads at all.

But more accurately, when humans starting paving roads, they did so for the express purpose of bicycles, not cars.  Cars hadn't been invented yet.  We owe our paved city streets to bikes.

And there was a time when streets DID belong too pedestrians.  Read up on the history, and you'll learn that the early auto industry lobbied hard to create the idea of crosswalks, as a means of redefining public streets as car spaces with pedestrian exceptions, instead of pedestrian spaces with car exceptions.

Streets, and even paved streets, have been around a lot longer than automobiles.  The automotive industry stole our public spaces from us.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 10:37:20 AM »

In my jurisdiction bicycles have the same right to public roads as cars do.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2017, 11:05:09 AM »

CI=ID  CI=ID  CI=ID : Delicious ASCII peanuts to feed the troll. 

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2017, 11:08:05 AM »

If that's what you really think, it's funny that you're on the Mr. Money Mustache forum.

bunchbikes

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2017, 11:13:36 AM »
Yeah, that's horrible OP.   I hate stuff like this.

Unfortunately, until you reach the tipping point in your city where there are so many cyclists that cars get in the habit of paying attention to cyclists, the rules won't be followed.

In 2 months of daily biking in malmo, Sweden (a city we visited with bikes everywhere)  there was only one instance ever of a car breaking a traffic rule or not yielding to a bike, and I think that person was a lost tourist.  Many streets that intersect with bike lanes don't even have stop signs, traffic lights, or yield signs... the cars just stop and wait for cyclists 100% of the time.  Because they know they are likely to be there.

If bikers aren't around in mass numbers, paint on the ground isn't going to stop any car.

This is all the more reason that cycle tracks separated by a physical barrier are the way to go if a city really wants it's citizens to bike.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 11:21:18 AM by CargoBiker »

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2017, 11:57:10 AM »
I really like the road pattern of having the parking lane separating the bike lane from the car lanes. Less chance of bike/car collisions, and may encourage more cyclists on the road who would otherwise not feel comfortable cycling right beside fast-moving vehicles.

I'm in Denver, which is a much more bike-friendly city than many other places in the US, but I've been to Germany and Amsterdam and I know the city design could be so much better for encouraging cycling & helping with safety.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2017, 12:40:27 PM »
Cars, when waiting to turn onto a road, stop in the crosswalk making it very difficult for me to continue on my way. To be clear, it's a wide path made for bikers and runners that is a few feet from the road which does not have a bike lane. Every cross street has a stop sign to enter this road. These cars have no visibility issues. They are just so darn impatient, they think by scooting out into the crosswalk area will get them ahead in life somehow. When possible, I do hit these cars with a nice slap of the hand. The reactions I get usually involve them cursing me out for touching their vehicle.

This! In Canada people will creep forward, and if they see a pedestrian or cyclist coming up the path they will usually reverse to let them by (space behind them allowing). The other day, a car parked right in the crosswalk, looked right at me waved a guilty wave and then didn't back up. I didn't have space to safely go in front of them, and the road conditions were too sketchy behind them (this is winter cycling). I waited a few minutes, and she did guiltily look at me again, but made me wait for all traffic to go by and her to make her left turn.

I just remember thinking its MINUS F*ing 25 OUT, and you're in a heated car... and you're making me wait so you don't miss your gap...

bunchbikes

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2017, 01:42:09 PM »
I really like the road pattern of having the parking lane separating the bike lane from the car lanes.

My city did it backwards downtown....  they separate the parking from the car lane with a bike lane in the middle.  And it's angled parking, so you're virtually guaranteed to get mowed over by a reversing parked car, if you travel the bike lane.

*Facepalm*

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2017, 02:18:07 PM »

If that's what you really think, it's funny that you're on the Mr. Money Mustache forum.

I like saving money, but I don't care for bikes.  You'd have to be nuts to ride a bike on the streets that I drive every day.

bunchbikes

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2017, 02:25:22 PM »
I like saving money, but I don't care for bikes.  You'd have to be nuts to ride a bike on the streets that I drive every day.

So it's not that you don't care for bikes.  It's that you don't care to bike the streets in your city.

Some cities are better than others.

There's definitely a risk vs. reward when it comes to safety, when you're biking infrastructure that really wasn't built for it.  Not worth saving some bucks to bike, if you're likely to get run over.

FrogStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Get there...FASTER!
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2017, 02:29:47 PM »
Last week while on my bike, pulling my kids in a trailer, a truck ran a stop sign on a residential street in our neighborhood.  It was one of the numerous members of what we call the suburban army of home services.  Aka, the people all the lazy consumers around us hire to mow their lawns and clean their houses.  I was close enough I was able to shout "STOP SIGN" as I slammed on the brakes.  My kids gasped at the sudden jolt.  Had I peddled just a little harder up that hill, we would all have been flattened.

RidinTheAsama

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2017, 03:17:17 PM »
I'm lucky to live in a very bike-friendly city, so close calls and bad driver-behavior are rare.  It seems that the anti-biking crowd has resigned themselves to play by the rules and avoid putting lives at risk with their vehicles.  Instead they just yell... It bothers me the most when I get yelled at while following the rules to the letter!  Like taking my turn at a 4-way stop and being called an asshole for it.

On the other end, some drivers are way too courteous... When I'm waiting at a stop sign for my safe chance to cross a 2-way, 4 lane street, there's no reason for a driver to stop!  They cause confusion and an unsafe situation for the other drivers, without making it any safer for me to cross anyway - the other 3 lanes are still active, and sometimes worse as angry drivers switch lanes to speed past the car that stopped....  I get that they're trying to be nice, but just stick with the rules of the road and it will be safer for everyone!

bunchbikes

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2017, 03:27:00 PM »
On the other end, some drivers are way too courteous... When I'm waiting at a stop sign for my safe chance to cross a 2-way, 4 lane street, there's no reason for a driver to stop!  They cause confusion and an unsafe situation for the other drivers, without making it any safer for me

This.

I already hate having to stop and re-start while biking. Even worse when I have to stop for no reason because an over-courteous driver created confusion by stopping or slowing down, when they have the right of way.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2017, 03:30:05 PM »
On the other end, some drivers are way too courteous...

Agreed and they can cause problems, but I appreciate that they are trying to be kind even if the end result is not good.

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2017, 03:49:16 PM »
On the other end, some drivers are way too courteous... When I'm waiting at a stop sign for my safe chance to cross a 2-way, 4 lane street, there's no reason for a driver to stop!  They cause confusion and an unsafe situation for the other drivers, without making it any safer for me

This.

I already hate having to stop and re-start while biking. Even worse when I have to stop for no reason because an over-courteous driver created confusion by stopping or slowing down, when they have the right of way.

Omg. This is annoying whether I'm on a bike or walking. Far from socially optimal because it wastes time for multiple people.

I have to confess I don't always follow bike laws that were clearly made with cars in mind, because they lead to wasted time for all of us. At a four-way stop, I sometimes just tail behind the car in front of me, and I would argue this makes the world a better place; because of how quickly I can accelerate, and how small I am, it's as if I weren't at the intersection at all, and thus everyone else gets to save the time that would have been spent giving me a full "turn". And treating red lights/stop signs as yield signs saves the person behind me the lag time of me stopping and starting. So in fact I am a dirty no-good rule-breaking asshole sometimes, but only when it helps myself and everyone else.

Tabaxus

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2017, 04:00:51 PM »

This.

Omg. This is annoying whether I'm on a bike or walking. Far from socially optimal because it wastes time for multiple people.

I have to confess I don't always follow bike laws that were clearly made with cars in mind, because they lead to wasted time for all of us. At a four-way stop, I sometimes just tail behind the car in front of me, and I would argue this makes the world a better place; because of how quickly I can accelerate, and how small I am, it's as if I weren't at the intersection at all, and thus everyone else gets to save the time that would have been spent giving me a full "turn". And treating red lights/stop signs as yield signs saves the person behind me the lag time of me stopping and starting. So in fact I am a dirty no-good rule-breaking asshole sometimes, but only when it helps myself and everyone else.

As someone who does a lot of walking:  I hate it when bicyclists do this, because they very often ignore pedestrians crossing the street. 

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2017, 04:11:09 PM »
As someone who does a lot of walking:  I hate it when bicyclists do this, because they very often ignore pedestrians crossing the street. 

I don't cut off pedestrians, and I feel like I clarified that I do these maneuvers when it helps everyone collectively.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2017, 04:23:58 PM »
In the last year or so...

1)  City bus came up along side me, then came into the bike lane requiring a hard stop as my handle bar was almost touching the bus, and my wheel was almost touching the curb by time I realized what was happening.

2)  Multiple times the city buses has done a swoop-and-squat on me, pulling right in front of my and pulling into the bike lane for a stop with inadequate warning or stopping space, requiring evasive manuevers on my part.

3)  Outside Nike HQ (a terrible traffic spot due to ongoing city/nike zoning/taxation disputes) I had a truck make an un-signaled abrupt lane change only 50' in front of me from the right hand turn only lane, across the bike lane into the through lane, but leaving his truck butt blocking the bike lane requiring hard braking.  I went around to the light only to have a Leaf of all things blast from the turn only lane across my path through the intersection to go straight when the light turned green.  I caught up with her and barked a few words and wagged a finger.

4)  Coming to work where I am going straight, turn lane sprouts to my right.  3 cars cross in front of me int the turn lane.  Car #1 was fine and had plenty of space.  Car #2 was pushing it.  Car #3 came within inches of clipping my front wheel.  I was near work and saw what lot she went into.  I printed up a stern note and left it on her car.  My guess is she never saw me (despite copious amounts of neon yellow, flashing lights, etc) and just followed traffic.  A co-worker was 2 cars behind her and had an even better view of my near death experience.

5)  Countless drivers on cell phones who act sheepish when you make the hang up gesture with your hand.  Way too many folks don't seem to care that non-hands freec ell phone talking is illegal here, and cell phone use is always dangerous.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2017, 05:29:06 PM »
There's one intersection I face with my daily commute that has two right turn lanes. The intersection is very busy and a "shortcut" for drivers to skip a worse intersection. Needless to say, it is completely unsafe to ride in the bike lane here. I usually ride slowly on the sidewalk approaching this intersection. There's a pedestrian cross walk that tells people when it's okay to cross the street. Of course, it lights up at the same time the two lanes of right turners are able to turn right. Several of them have already done a California stop, rolling through and turning right on the red. It never fails that I get cut off at this intersection by 2-6 cars. On today's ride, some asshole laid on his horn the entire time it took me to cross. That was nice of him. I position myself right by the pedestrian cross-walk and try to make eye contact with the person turning right, bu they are in too much of a hurry looking to the left to see if they can turn. I'm usually able to pass after the first 2 cars speed through. So far there's only been one occasion that I had to wait until the 2nd time through the light before I was able to cross the street.

bunchbikes

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2017, 09:38:36 PM »

You know what I never saw in Copenhagen?  A stop sign on a cycle track.  Stop signs and bikes just don't mix.

On a bike, I roll up to a stop sign, look both ways, and then keep rolling.  4 way stops are the best, just roll on through, because everyone's going to be stopping.

I'm sure the cars appreciate me not slowly accelerating while they wait for me.

bunchbikes

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2017, 09:41:14 PM »
5)  Countless drivers on cell phones who act sheepish when you make the hang up gesture with your hand.  Way too many folks don't seem to care that non-hands freec ell phone talking is illegal here, and cell phone use is always dangerous.

haha, I really love this.  I'm not one to get worked up or flip off at traffic, but I might start courteously doing the hang up gesture as a friendly reminder to the idiots on the road.

bunchbikes

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2017, 09:46:05 PM »
There's a pedestrian cross walk that tells people when it's okay to cross the street. Of course, it lights up at the same time the two lanes of right turners are able to turn right.

In these situations, I usually get up on the side walk, get so close to the curb I'm peeking out into the perpendicular road just a bit, and then make eye contact with the driver of the car, or at least check out if they're paying attention.  Then I watch the opposing traffic lights, and I start to pedal just before it turns green, so I dash like a rabbit before the car driver has time to push their pedal.

It's a silly little game, and I wish I didn't have to do any of that, but there's no way I'm going to sit and wait for 8 cars to turn right, and then maybe miss my chance to cross altogether.

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2017, 09:51:06 PM »

In that case, you are just being an asshole back.

Still not recommended.

Your definition of "asshole" seems to be broader than mine, which is entirely reasonable.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2017, 03:12:05 AM »
I'm taking the basic motorcycle course this May.   I expect that will improve my vehicular driving habits.   In fact, just thinking about riding a motorcycle is improving my driving habits...
This.  I've ridden motorcycles in the past and bicycle now.  I'm much more aware and empathetic to both types of riders now. 

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2017, 07:07:47 AM »
This.  I've ridden motorcycles in the past and bicycle now.  I'm much more aware and empathetic to both types of riders now.

I bike, moto, walk and skateboard around town. My rules are:

1. don't kill anyone
2. don't be an asshole

When I drive my F150 I'm aware that rule #1 is far more important to be aware of than when I am walking or biking. ;)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!