Author Topic: If you were 20 again?  (Read 20511 times)

willow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: If you were 20 again?
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2015, 04:09:47 PM »
The thing is, I'm happy most days, I would say very happy. The time I seem to get the most stressed out in life are when I start trying to build in those "live your life" moments everyone keeps talking about. Personally they cause undo stress. Travelling is awesome, if you like to travel and want to travel to the places you go. But so is staying inside all day reading an amazing book, getting completely lost in your imagination. I once tried to explain to someone that I'm not a thrill seeker because the same adrenaline rush they get from say, sky diving, I can get from just writing a good short story or having a lengthy discussion about song lyrics among pals.
I agree that it's nice sometimes to just stay inside and read an amazing book. But at the same time, later when you look back in life, I don't think you're going to remember those days you sat inside reading a book. You're going to remember travelling a lot better.

Take this with a grain of salt though, because I'm only 23.

lol, I see what you're saying. I believe it's all about moderation. You can't stay inside and read all the time, sometimes you have to get out there and apply what you've read to life.

As far as looking back on life, think of it this way , I remember my books, songs, etc for years. They shape the way I see the world and create great ways for me to bond with other people. I've done a little travelling, and there were times I enjoyed it, and other trips I will never take again; travelling is over hyped in my opinion.
Some perspective from older people: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/10/travel-relationships-regrets_n_6654456.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

Much respect to you for citing sources. To me the key here is that these people always wanted to travel, e.g. ""We always thought we'd do a lot of traveling when we retired, you know? But then Lynne passed away, and it was too late."

I think if you want to travel, then absolutely go and do it. But if you're perfectly happy right now, I don't think you'll regret not doing something you never had an interest in. For example, I'd love to gain some level of proficiency playing guitar, and if I don't accomplish that I'm seriously going to regret it.

On the other hand, I have no real desire to travel to Iceland; if I never get to go I'm not going to regret it years from now. Though I'm sure I'd have a lovely time if I did go for one reason or another.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2015, 04:14:45 PM »
The thing is, I'm happy most days, I would say very happy. The time I seem to get the most stressed out in life are when I start trying to build in those "live your life" moments everyone keeps talking about. Personally they cause undo stress. Travelling is awesome, if you like to travel and want to travel to the places you go. But so is staying inside all day reading an amazing book, getting completely lost in your imagination. I once tried to explain to someone that I'm not a thrill seeker because the same adrenaline rush they get from say, sky diving, I can get from just writing a good short story or having a lengthy discussion about song lyrics among pals.
I agree that it's nice sometimes to just stay inside and read an amazing book. But at the same time, later when you look back in life, I don't think you're going to remember those days you sat inside reading a book. You're going to remember travelling a lot better.

Take this with a grain of salt though, because I'm only 23.

lol, I see what you're saying. I believe it's all about moderation. You can't stay inside and read all the time, sometimes you have to get out there and apply what you've read to life.

As far as looking back on life, think of it this way , I remember my books, songs, etc for years. They shape the way I see the world and create great ways for me to bond with other people. I've done a little travelling, and there were times I enjoyed it, and other trips I will never take again; travelling is over hyped in my opinion.
Some perspective from older people: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/10/travel-relationships-regrets_n_6654456.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

Much respect to you for citing sources. To me the key here is that these people always wanted to travel, e.g. ""We always thought we'd do a lot of traveling when we retired, you know? But then Lynne passed away, and it was too late."

I think if you want to travel, then absolutely go and do it. But if you're perfectly happy right now, I don't think you'll regret not doing something you never had an interest in. For example, I'd love to gain some level of proficiency playing guitar, and if I don't accomplish that I'm seriously going to regret it.

On the other hand, I have no real desire to travel to Iceland; if I never get to go I'm not going to regret it years from now. Though I'm sure I'd have a lovely time if I did go for one reason or another.
Touche.

BunnyBoi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2015, 06:40:50 AM »
You can't know the future.  Acting like you can leads to some pretty warped thinking though.  Why spend all that time in school if you're just going to die in your 20s?  You should have been out in the world living it up.  Why not smash your car into the guy who just cut you off in traffic if you're going to die tomorrow?  Why not get high, and stay high all the time, wouldn't that be more enjoyable than being sober?

Unfortunately, this party ends if you don't die.

If you really feel like you're missing out on life . . . then you're doing something wrong.  You don't need to spend much money to have 'gone somewhere, done something'.  It's possible to plan for the future and live well in the now.  That's what this website is about.

Haha, please no worries, I am not till that extreme on wanting to enjoy life. More like trying to find a balance on both hard work and some fun.

OMG! Amazing article! Exactly something I want to read!

BunnyBoi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2015, 06:47:03 AM »
Well Chemo starts tomorrow, I am strangely calm so far.

Thanks everyone for all the well wishes and please no worries I am sure that hopefully everything will turn out fine.

I started a blog relating to my chemo+cancer experience but its still in the infant stage if anyone is interested.
thebucketliststory.wordpress.com

This thread really inspired me to actually consider making a bucket list!
It's just going to be small things like learning how to bake bread or learn to properly play the piano, the simple stuff with some dreams and hopes for the future too.

Be back in maybe a week~

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2015, 07:08:25 AM »
Well Chemo starts tomorrow, I am strangely calm so far.

This thread really inspired me to actually consider making a bucket list!
It's just going to be small things like learning how to bake bread or learn to properly play the piano, the simple stuff with some dreams and hopes for the future too.

Be back in maybe a week~

Good luck!

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2015, 11:31:43 AM »
Unfortunately, this party ends if you don't die.

If you really feel like you're missing out on life . . . then you're doing something wrong.  You don't need to spend much money to have 'gone somewhere, done something'.  It's possible to plan for the future and live well in the now.  That's what this website is about.

++++++1 😊

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2015, 11:40:05 AM »
I thought I answered the question. If everyth I did in the last decade led me to where I am now then nothing. It's a matter of perspective & the reality of a butterfly effect. However, since we're doing theoreticals here I would have left my occult church earlier so I would have lived for myself more. Not dated a "loser" bc I didn't believe I was good enough. Loved more & spent a bit more time with my annoying family & my beloved uncle since his recent passing. Not argued as much about finances with my current DH before we were married. Not have trusted my former supervisor who threw me under a bus to get herself ahead. Started investing at 18 instead of into the occult. Lastly, not invite the Ks to me wedding last yr lol! BUT all in all I really can't complain bc for every "regret" some pretty awesome things happened, too.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 11:42:11 AM by MrsCoolCat »

damize

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2015, 09:07:40 AM »
I would have still married the girl (at 25). Sure, we get divorced 18 years later, but along the way we raised 3 amazing kids. Obviously, I'd like to think that I'd save, invest, and not throw away money and opportunities, and maybe I would. But I have no regrets. The last 23 years have been a great ride and I'm happy.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2015, 10:51:21 AM »
I would protect my fair skin from the sun with a hat.  Seriously! Having precancerous spots treated and/ or removed is no fun, and it's expensive, but completely preventable.

sky_northern

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2015, 02:27:56 PM »
Good Luck with the chemo Bunny Boi - wishing you a good outcome!

If I could make one different decision it would have been when I was 17, not 20. I wish I had taken a year off in between High School and University. I even researched some youth volunteer programs, etc. with travel. But I was too chicken because I though the expectation, the 'thing to do' was straight to University. I love to travel. First time I left the country was a school trip to France in grade 9. It was an amazing trip, and I did a lot of dreaming about traveling but didn't leave the country again until over a year after I graduated university. I also did lots of research about doing an exchange semester during my undergrad but you needed a support letter from a faculty member and I was too afraid to apply. I also did a lot of research about going to do my masters in Norway that didn't happen.

I also wish I was generally better at managing my money - lost of bad choices there but I'm changing my ways now, mostly from information I've gotten here!

Ferrisbueller

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2015, 05:21:23 PM »
No regrets - I have a fantastic life and family now (at 44)

BUT.....

I probably wouldn't have minded more girl action more beer and a little less studying......oh and more sport

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2015, 07:36:38 PM »
No regrets - I have a fantastic life and family now (at 44)

BUT.....

I probably wouldn't have minded more girl action more beer and a little less studying......oh and more sport

Says Ferris Bueller himself.

SaintM

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2015, 07:51:21 PM »

Buy AAPL

(I was 20 years-old in 1986)

No, Apple nearly went out of business in the mid 90s.

I would do nothing different.  I am who I am, and I like everything about my life.

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2015, 12:21:55 AM »
I would protect my fair skin from the sun with a hat.  Seriously! Having precancerous spots treated and/ or removed is no fun, and it's expensive, but completely preventable.

Amen - I started doing this a year or so ago, should've started earlier. No problems yet, but if you have fair skin, take care of it.

ESPECIALLY if you are bald like me.

+1 again. I can't stress this enough. Sow those oats, but take care of your body at the same time!

kib

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2015, 12:47:37 PM »
If I could be 20 again ... I'd really like to have my 50 year old self standing quietly behind me.  There are thing that I did that were great, even though they cost money, and I would tell 20 to go for it, even if that didn't improve the bottom line one bit.  There were things that I did that were incredibly stupid, that also cost money.  Most of my mistakes revolved around thinking that if something is good, more of it is better.  I went to Australia and New Zealand - that was great!  I bought $2,000 in overpriced souvenirs that I carried around with me for a month - Stupid!  I got my driver's license and bought a car.  MMM may disagree, but for me, that was great!  Then I sold it two years later for a brand new Dodge Daytona.  STUPID! 

Try to get to know yourself, so you can figure out what you might really find great vs what you are lured into thinking you should want.  Go for experiences rather than Stuff.  Love people deeply, but know your boundaries and honor them.