Author Topic: If you could read only one financial Blog  (Read 10951 times)

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
If you could read only one financial Blog
« on: August 03, 2015, 11:48:24 AM »
If you could read only one financial/money related blog, which one would it be?

To me, MMM is a fantastic blog, but if I could pick only one, would I choose another? I'm not telling which one because I don't want to bias.

Granted, this is what makes the internet so rich--we can patronize many great blogs, but what if you only had one?

EricP

• Bristles
Re: If you could read only one financial Blog
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 11:50:35 AM »
If /r/PF counts as a blog for this discussion, then I would pick that over any actual blog.  If not, then I would go with MMM.

KungfuRabbit

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 01:13:45 PM »
All blogs get old after a while. You need variety.

I do love MMM, but the concepts in his latest post have all been discussed before. In fact the basic premise can all be summed up: do math, maximize fulfillment, minimize waste.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 01:16:21 PM »
If /r/PF counts as a blog for this discussion, then I would pick that over any actual blog.  If not, then I would go with MMM.
I really like r/FI.  It kind of goes in waves, though.  Sometimes it gets really remedial, other times it trends really consumer sucka, but usually it's solid.

fb132

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 01:38:05 PM »
I like Jacob's Early Retirement Extreme blog. He writes alot of stuff on it and on a regular basis.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 01:43:02 PM »
No one blog generates enough content to keep my interest. If I could only read one, I'd probably just choose "none of the above".

Now if you are talking about a forum, well that's a much harder choice...

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 01:49:23 PM »
I like Jacob's Early Retirement Extreme blog. He writes alot of stuff on it and on a regular basis.

He hasn't written more than 5 articles on it in the past several years. The site just auto-posts one of his old articles with today's date each day. The content is still very good of course.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 01:49:43 PM »
No one blog generates enough content to keep my interest. If I could only read one, I'd probably just choose "none of the above".

I haven't read the MMM blog in many, many months.   It you like content that generally has some financial stuff you should consider Livingstingy.    That would be my "one financial blog."   

There are perhaps 3000 posts available now.  He covers a very wide variety of topics, has excellent writing skills and is prolific.  He seems to average 30 posts per month.  I am constantly amazed that this man knows so much about everything from car motors to computers to US history.

He doesn't enable comments and sells nothing.  He is a patent attorney/engineer. 

fb132

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 01:54:11 PM »

He hasn't written more than 5 articles on it in the past several years. The site just auto-posts one of his old articles with today's date each day. The content is still very good of course.
Hmmm, never noticed it before.

fb132

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 01:55:04 PM »
Although it is not a blog kind of...I also enjoy Rockstar finance that gives you links to different blogs on being FI

EricP

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 02:13:50 PM »
I really like r/FI.  It kind of goes in waves, though.  Sometimes it gets really remedial, other times it trends really consumer sucka, but usually it's solid.

Yeah, I enjoy that as well too, but there is a lot less content there so if I had to choose one I'd pick PF.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 02:20:43 PM »
All blogs get old after a while. You need variety.

I do love MMM, but the concepts in his latest post have all been discussed before. In fact the basic premise can all be summed up: do math, maximize fulfillment, minimize waste.

Among "financial independence and early retirement" blogs, I'd say Go Curry Cracker is currently the frontrunner.  Jeremy manages to keep churning out content with new insights or examining well-worn topics from new angles, so at the moment I think GCC is least susceptible to being "outgrown" by its readers.  Of course, no one (or almost no one) can keep up this pace of innovation forever, so there will always be ebbs and flows.  My answer to the OP's question today is different than it would have been in the past and is almost certainly different than it will be in the future.

oinkette

• Stubble
  • Well behaved women rarely make history.
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 02:30:53 PM »
I like Afford Anything because she focuses on the average person.  So many FIRE bloggers seem to be of the dual, above average income ilk. She and her boyfriend started from pretty much nothing.   She also profiles other people who are taking developing their own passive/side income.

I also like r/FinancialIndependence, especially since they've started the Daily Discussion threads.

EricP

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 03:22:17 PM »
I tried reading Afford Anything and wasn't a fan.  While this is not my only complaint, I just got off on the wrong foot with her blog when the third blog post in she told me that my house was a bad investment.  Okay, that's fine I hear that a lot and I see the logic. Then a half dozen posts later she tells me that rental properties are great investments.  Great investments even when I'm hiring a property manager.  These two things are just not congruent to me. 

Obviously this has the potential to derail the entire conversation, so please don't let it, but I just didn't get anything out of Afford Anything.

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 05:10:28 PM »

I haven't read the MMM blog in many, many months.   It you like content that generally has some financial stuff you should consider Livingstingy.    That would be my "one financial blog."   

There are perhaps 3000 posts available now.  He covers a very wide variety of topics, has excellent writing skills and is prolific.  He seems to average 30 posts per month.  I am constantly amazed that this man knows so much about everything from car motors to computers to US history.

He doesn't enable comments and sells nothing.  He is a patent attorney/engineer.

Thanks, this really looks interesting. I've "favorited" it already. All the other blogs/forums I'm a big fan of too. Didn't know that Jacob at ERE still comments a lot. He's the guy that really turned the bulb on for me.

If I only had one forum/blog, it would be the Bogleheads. I'm surprised no one mentioned them.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 05:21:27 PM »
This changes for me over time.   Right now I'm really loving the Frugalwoods.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 08:12:34 PM »
I haven't visited mainsite MMM in a long time. I genuinely appreciate the value of MMM and would (and do) recommend it for non-financial-blog-reading friends. But right now, if I had to select one "financial" site, I'd chose Goblin Chief's blog.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 01:08:53 AM »
MMM by far. Even if the posts don't pertain to me, the writing is excellent. If Mr. Frugal Toque wrote a blog I'd read it. Even if it was Canadian centered. The writing style and logic in forum posts and guest blog posts is really refreshing.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 08:47:47 AM »
It you like content that generally has some financial stuff you should consider Livingstingy.    That would be my "one financial blog."   

Great blog - thanks for the rec Bob W!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 08:50:03 AM by Exhale »

MustachianKentuckian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 10:01:15 AM »
what is /r/pf and/r/fi?

cheapbutchic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 10:02:40 AM »

Thank You Bob W!  I was up til midnight last night reading.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 10:06:28 AM »

Thank You Bob W!  I was up til midnight last night reading.

My pleasure.   He gets a bit repetitive at times but after 3000 entries it is to be expected.  It is one of the few blogs I read where I think to myself "wow, I never knew that and never thought about it that way."   

You can't take him too seriously on finance as he basically made lots of money and pissed lots away without thought for most of his life.   He lucked out on some real estate.   He is currently in the LCOL save, save mode realizing he doesn't want to work forever. 

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 10:06:49 AM »
what is /r/pf and/r/fi?

Those are shorthand for sections of Reddit (also called sub-reddits or subs for short).  /r/pf stands for PersonalFinance and /r/fi for FinancialIndependence.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/
https://www.reddit.com/r/financialindependence/

Jersey Brett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • No matter where you go...there you are.
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 10:48:10 AM »
JLCollins is great!

oinkette

• Stubble
  • Well behaved women rarely make history.
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 01:41:23 PM »
I tried reading Afford Anything and wasn't a fan.  While this is not my only complaint, I just got off on the wrong foot with her blog when the third blog post in she told me that my house was a bad investment.  Okay, that's fine I hear that a lot and I see the logic. Then a half dozen posts later she tells me that rental properties are great investments.  Great investments even when I'm hiring a property manager.  These two things are just not congruent to me. 

Obviously this has the potential to derail the entire conversation, so please don't let it, but I just didn't get anything out of Afford Anything.

Well there is a difference between the house you live in (not an investment) and houses you buy to rent out (investments).  I don't understand the incongruity.

EricP

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2015, 02:01:58 PM »

Well there is a difference between the house you live in (not an investment) and houses you buy to rent out (investments).  I don't understand the incongruity.

If you don't buy a house to live in then you are paying for a rental house.  A rental house which is apparently a good investment for them.  So who's making it a good investment?  The sucker paying the rent because they didn't buy a house.

MustachianKentuckian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2015, 02:54:53 PM »
what is /r/pf and/r/fi?

Those are shorthand for sections of Reddit (also called sub-reddits or subs for short).  /r/pf stands for PersonalFinance and /r/fi for FinancialIndependence.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/
https://www.reddit.com/r/financialindependence/

Thank you!

MrStash2000

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2015, 08:04:39 PM »
Bob W - Thanks for the living stingy recommendation.

Great stuff. I've been reading this nonstop.

Check it out people!

fb132

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2015, 05:43:50 AM »
Bob W - Thanks for the living stingy recommendation.

Great stuff. I've been reading this nonstop.

Check it out people!
I agree, I put it in my favorites tab.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2015, 05:51:16 AM »
I'd go with Mad Fientist if he posted a bit more. 

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2015, 06:33:38 AM »
I've been reading past article of Blonde on a Budget and Frugalwoods. 

I'm going to check out Livingstingy.

TBH I haven't read MMM articles in a while, I mostly just visit the forums.

hobbes1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2015, 07:30:11 AM »
Thanks for posting all these blogs. I'll be doing some more reading. MMM hasn't been relevant to me lately but we've gotten great info from him in the past.

Dezrah

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2015, 07:37:01 AM »
I really like The Simple Dollar.  The site’s founder, Trent Hamm, sold the site but continues to contribute daily along with a few other worthwhile contributors.  His weekly Q&A is a must read for me every week.  He is very succinct, pragmatic, and compassionate in his writing.

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2015, 08:45:17 AM »

http://streettalklive.com/

this is the site of a local financial show and money mgt company in Houston and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT.

so many here don't have a solid grasp of reality when planning their fire date, like planning to go fire in 5-10 years and expecting a 6 or 7% avg return during that time.

this site can give you all sorts of information on what to expect on future return rates, future interest rates, future wages, etc, etc. its great.

I recommend signing up for the newsletter that gives their weekely market allocation, reading the blog daily, the must reads and featured blogs if you're anything less than a certified financial planner.

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2015, 08:08:39 AM »
This changes for me over time.   Right now I'm really loving the Frugalwoods.

Love this one too -- I really enjoy her writing style!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!