Author Topic: I un-FIREd myself recently  (Read 20625 times)

nemesis

• Bristles
Re: I un-FIREd myself recently
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2018, 04:13:24 PM »
I am not going to argue wither or not the cars were affordable to the OP, or if you can afford said luxury you should.

Part of being mustachian is trying to save the environment.  In this case purchasing two brand new cars is not that.  I could maybe even see the point of the fancy pants Accura, if that was the only car, but seriously 2 brand new cars, why, well because I can obviously. 

It is no wonder why we will never stop climate change or an of the extinction atrocities that humans are responsible for with an altitude like that.  I will do what I want and fuck the rest of you...
I see your argument. By that standard, anyone who has more than 1 kid (or any kid?) is fucking the planet.  They are consuming the resources of a limited planet.  I mean, we should all kill ourselves immediately to save the planet, right?

I'm an environmentalist at heart, but when I see over-board comments like yours, I get a little queasy.

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2018, 05:23:39 PM »
Definition of troll:

troll
One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll
That could apply to a lot of people on here, or nearly everyone.  Even MMM himself... he has some pretty controversial views and posts that a large part of the population disagrees with.

This is a clear case of "maximum disruption and argument" on a board/site who clearly values frugality and creation and hard work vs luxury/consumption/ease.

We could definitely have a conversation about the merits of buying an expensive luxury sports car and not buying one. Surely OP didn't come here to receive pats on the back for buying ridiculous clown machines.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2018, 02:58:13 AM »
I get where the OP is coming from. If I had the cash I would do the same.

I have been viewing my wealth accumulation in tranches where we choose to get off the ladder when we are ready:

1. Enough to own a modest home
2. Enough to cover our living costs forever
3. Enough to have a big travel budget so we can travel the world as we dream to
4. Enough to have a nice home in an awesome location.
5. Enough to have an awesome home in a prime inner city location (ie: our current home)
6. Enough to stay in our current home and do some upgrades
7. Enough to fly business class rather than economy class on our travels
8. Enough to have a ridiculous car parked in our garage.
9. More money than we would know what to do with.

We have passed tranche 3 and will tick off tranche 4 in the next 12-18 months. We think we will be happy with that and will FIRE, but if we get bored or choose to work for any reason we will keep padding the stache which would ultimately fund the the above.

We would hopefully drop tranches 5 & 6 all together once we commit fully in our hearts and minds to moving to a new city. This makes logical financial sense, but we are still a bit stuck on this one a little today.

If we do ditch 5&6 then 7 and 8 would be easily attained if we worked even a few more years, as wealth is accumulating quickly now. Still, as of today, we have no desire to work a few more years.

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2018, 06:46:11 AM »
[This seems fairly dumb and I'm getting way too many flags to moderate it - LOCKED]