Author Topic: I only sleep in a bed so I can sleep with my wife  (Read 20847 times)

dios.del.sol

• Stubble
I only sleep in a bed so I can sleep with my wife
« on: September 02, 2017, 11:36:02 AM »
It's time for mattress shopping. I was questioning why we even need a bed. I'm quite comfortable sleeping on my inflatable backpacking pad on the floor. And then I realized: I sleep in a bed so I can sleep with my wife. Seems like a good expense to me!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
Re: I only sleep in a bed so I can sleep with my wife
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 12:43:34 PM »
Same for my partner! I know he prefers to sleep on the floor. He actually thinks it's romantic to live in a house with very little furniture, deocration, paint or wallpaper. He'd happily live in a squat. The only reason he lives in a house with an actual bed and paint on the walls is because I want to live like that.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 12:51:08 PM »
Given a choice I'd prefer to sleep on some minimal padding on the floor.  Beds just seem like a tremendous waste. . . they're less comfortable, and they wear out.  There are few beds I've found that don't give me back pain, which sleeping on the floor has never resulted in.

Having a raised bed off the floor might have been very important when your floors was composed of dirt and was crawling with insects, but they're a vestigial appendage at this point.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 01:31:06 PM »
Yes, me too. I'd prefer a very small house or just renting, very little decoration or furniture. But my husband is certainly worth having some extra stuff around, and a house that seems crazy big for two people (though isn't bad by north american standards).

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 01:51:47 PM »
Having a raised bed off the floor might have been very important when your floors was composed of dirt and was crawling with insects, but they're a vestigial appendage at this point.

We slept on the floor for years and we're actually temporarily on the floor again, but I never know where to leave my glasses. I know that's the stupidest excuse ever, but I can't reach the window sill or the top of the nearest cupboard from the floor and I would bump my head all the time when we put up a small shelf above the matrass for my glasses.

I don't need anything fancy, we live in an 800 square foot 70 year old house, but I do feel happier when we have a lamp instead of a light bulb, proper curtains instead of a sheet, some basic furniture and something on the walls. But then I'm a very domestic person. We don't currently have all the luxury items I listed before :D We've only lived here for two years so we haven't put up curtains or lamps in half of the rooms and we haven't painted or put up wallpaper in the bedroom yet. We're still waiting until someone offers us something for free that we like.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 05:12:07 PM »
Yeah, I doubt I'd have a bed either if I wasn't married.  So expensive and the floor is just fine...

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 05:37:53 PM »

We slept on the floor for years and we're actually temporarily on the floor again, but I never know where to leave my glasses. I know that's the stupidest excuse ever, but I can't reach the window sill or the top of the nearest cupboard from the floor and I would bump my head all the time when we put up a small shelf above the matrass for my glasses.

I don't need anything fancy, we live in an 800 square foot 70 year old house, but I do feel happier when we have a lamp instead of a light bulb, proper curtains instead of a sheet, some basic furniture and something on the walls. But then I'm a very domestic person. We don't currently have all the luxury items I listed before :D We've only lived here for two years so we haven't put up curtains or lamps in half of the rooms and we haven't painted or put up wallpaper in the bedroom yet. We're still waiting until someone offers us something for free that we like.

Back in grad school I slept on a camping mat on the floor, and I had a little wooden box (maybe 12" x 8" x 6") I kept next to my mat that functioned in the same roll an a nightstand (held glasses, wallet, phone).

Tetsuya Hondo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 05:55:58 PM »
Me too. I also only sleep in a bed so I can sleep with your wife.

I'll show myself out.

inline five

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 07:49:53 PM »
You guys need to get out there and live some.

Slipping into a nice bed is heaven. With high thread count sheets and comfy pillows.

Spend some of that money you can't take it with you for Pete's sake.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 07:56:33 PM »

I'll show myself out.
Am I half drunk, or was that hilarious?

I prefer a floor bed, but some disgusting flooding sold me on keeping the bed. I am raised from the filth like a medieval king

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 08:59:29 PM »

I'll show myself out.

I prefer a floor bed, but some disgusting flooding sold me on keeping the bed. I am raised from the filth like a medieval king

+1 hilarious.

I sleep on a  foam mattress topper that rests on a boxspring, in a normal bed frame. Most of the height of a normal bed, none of the comfort.
I really want a mattress.
One day...

(And then your wife can join me!)

SimpleSpartan

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 09:43:36 PM »
Yeah, I doubt I'd have a bed either if I wasn't married.  So expensive and the floor is just fine...

Whats expensive the wife or the bed? :p

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 10:05:16 PM »
We purchased a 4'' foldable twin foam floor mattress a about a year ago for a relative that stayed with us for a few weeks.  After they left I tried it one night and now I rarely sleep in our raised bed mattress ever since. 

I always slept like a baby when camping (I sleep on a 1.5'' pad) and always thought it was because I was exhausted but turns out I like firm surfaces to sleep on.  Never going back to a normal bed mattress on a raised bed.

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 11:10:34 PM »
Oh man, I do not relate at all. After years of sleeping on an air mattress on the floor out of necessity DH and I freaking LOVE having a real bed.

dios.del.sol

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 12:13:32 AM »

I'll show myself out.

+1 hilarious.

I sleep on a  foam mattress topper that rests on a boxspring, in a normal bed frame. Most of the height of a normal bed, none of the comfort.
One day...

Puerile children.

Quote from: rdaneel0link=topic=78568.msg1682169#msg1682169 date=1504415434
Oh man, I do not relate at all. After years of sleeping on an air mattress on the floor out of necessity DH and I freaking LOVE having a real bed.

Air mattresses are the worst! You did it for years? (Children, don't giggle.) That sucks.

Dr. Pepper

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2017, 12:36:44 AM »
Slept on the floor in college for about a year.... would not go back to that

Sjalabais

• Bristles
  • King of Chocolatistan
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2017, 01:35:38 AM »
I can't believe I am the first one to say this among these hardcore purists, but we bought our bed at a 90% discount because the model was discontinued...yes, you heard that right, somebody in this weird society decided that a 100% natural wood bed had to be replaced with a very similar model, but the loading area beneath for sheets etc was painted in another colour. The bed heading went into the firewood bin, and we got two hard mattresses on top of what we use now. The storage space below is neat to have. The rest of the house was furnished with free stuff from our local Craigslist, except for the bathroom (all new) and the kitchen (1990s style already in there when we bought the house). The bed as we got it was cheaper then the price of building material if we had built it ourselves.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2017, 03:50:28 AM »

Slipping into a nice bed is heaven. With high thread count sheets and comfy pillows.

Well I'm with you on the nice beds are great thing, but as long as I'm sharing that bed with someone who honestly prefers the floor, we have to meet somewhere in the middle.

Even while we're on the floor I make the bed with nice sheets, pillows and a handmade quilt (from repurposed jeans, gives the quilt a nice weight). During the night he throws out his pillow but he loves the quilts I make. 

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2017, 04:28:19 AM »
I have yet to find a bed that is comfortable. Definitely sleep in one because of my DW. Lets not even get into the room temperature all though she has learned to sleep in a much cooler room then 20+ years ago.  I get my best rest in my chair. Never sleep more than 4-5 hrs in our bed or any bed.

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2017, 09:35:42 AM »

I'll show myself out.

+1 hilarious.

One day...

Puerile children.

Air mattresses are the worst! You did it for years? (Children, don't giggle.) That sucks.

Yep, for 3.5 years. It was terrible, and since we were in super low-rent places we were basically waking up eye to eye with vermin. One morning I grabbed my glass of water to take a sip and there was a huge cockroach, dead, floating in it. So, we switched to water bottles with lids. #workaround

But I can see for people who have never had to sleep on the ground/floor how the idea might be appealing in a MMM/against the grain/romantic sort of way. It's probably not so bad if you're in a beautiful home too.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2017, 10:25:03 AM »
I've run the gamut: thin folding foam mattress on the floor, cheap-ass Goodwill mattress on the floor, actual bed with frame, box springs, & mattress, cushy soft mattress, Tempur-pedic, firmer mattress, etc. When I was younger, I could tolerate sleeping on a mattress on the floor, but it was never comfortable, and getting up in the morning was a bitch. I sleep best on super-soft mattresses -- like floating in a cloud! -- but then I wake up with back pain. Sleeping on a thin foam mattress on the floor wreaked havoc on my joints, both during the night and the next day.

We actually just bought a new mattress, the firmest one I've ever voluntarily purchased. I sleep okay on it, and it doesn't mess up my back, but I can't say it's comfortable or that I sleep deeply on it. It's worth sacrificing quality of sleep for back maintenance. I just wish I didn't have to choose.

Even when I was a kid, though, I could not sleep on a bare floor, or even a carpeted one. That always hurt my joints and head too much.

dios.del.sol

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2017, 11:37:21 AM »

You need ease up on the judgement.

This forum is getting very strange of late. I come here to find like-minded people. It's feeling more and more like just another douchey internet forum. Reminds me of this thread:

I have noticed so many odd topics.  From the three times daily "the top is in, red dow" to should I buy a new car, to I think I got out too soon.

All of these topics then have many people here saying that the face punch worthy decision is OK. 

Has the MMM community gone soft?

Yep, for 3.5 years. It was terrible, and since we were in super low-rent places we were basically waking up eye to eye with vermin. One morning I grabbed my glass of water to take a sip and there was a huge cockroach, dead, floating in it. So, we switched to water bottles with lids. #workaround

But I can see for people who have never had to sleep on the ground/floor how the idea might be appealing in a MMM/against the grain/romantic sort of way. It's probably not so bad if you're in a beautiful home too.

I'd never do it with vermin around. That just sucks. It's not a romance thing. I just like it when I do it is all. My body feels great in the morning and I feel rested. Crashing at others' houses, backpacking, I spent a while on a futon mattress on the floor, etc. But yeah, all clean places. I wouldn't call our place beautiful, but it's clean enough.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2017, 12:40:58 PM »
If there was a significant quantity of vermin crawling around my floor every I wouldn't sleep on the floor.  I'd move.

If I had to remain in vermin house, I'd look into a hammock or something . . . but that seems like it would make sexy time even more complicated.  That said, how much sexy time are you really getting in your roach infested place?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2017, 12:52:42 PM »
Note of caution that our rental home had floor boards warped and some mold damage from (lease prohibited) on floor bedding.  The foam mattress in one case and a large 'dog bed' in another case, both wicked and held moisture from under the home during rainy season into the room and wood floors, without proper ventilation to allow drying.  Putting bedding directly on the floor or directly against walls is not wise and can lead to expensive repairs for home owners. No problems if you roll up the the bedding and tidy up each day.

This is a legitimate problem . . . particularly if you're using a foam mattress on the floor.  In the past I have damaged laminate this way.  The solution - don't sleep on a mattress.  If you just have a couple blankets under you they will breathe well enough that this never becomes a problem.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2017, 01:03:14 PM »
Note of caution that our rental home had floor boards warped and some mold damage from (lease prohibited) on floor bedding.  The foam mattress in one case and a large 'dog bed' in another case, both wicked and held moisture from under the home during rainy season into the room and wood floors, without proper ventilation to allow drying.  Putting bedding directly on the floor or directly against walls is not wise and can lead to expensive repairs for home owners. No problems if you roll up the the bedding and tidy up each day.

This is a legitimate problem . . . particularly if you're using a foam mattress on the floor.  In the past I have damaged laminate this way.  The solution - don't sleep on a mattress.  If you just have a couple blankets under you they will breathe well enough that this never becomes a problem.
works for me....my native american blood likely sympathises...closer to earth

My polish/scottish blood isn't a fan of being closer to the ground, but generally approves of anything cheap.  :P

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2017, 01:05:56 PM »

I'll show myself out.

+1 hilarious.

One day...

snacky, ditch the box spring and bed frame and try sleeping on the foam topper on the floor. I bet it will be a million times more comfortable!

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2017, 01:25:48 PM »
Fun fact back in 2010 when my then GF and I bought our home (we got married a few months after that so she was not yet wife) we also bought a brand new king size bed. About a few days after it got delivered I got an email saying they received our return and will be crediting my credit card. Sure enough a couple days later there was a credit on my credit card statement when I checked online for the purchase price of the bed. I figured they will realize the error and correct it (but I sure as heck would not call them to correct it). They never did so basically got a free bed due to some error.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2017, 01:30:00 PM »
I almost want to add a poll to this thread to see what the age of people posting are. When I was in highschool, my childhood bed was so lumpy I slept on the floor (carpet) instead of the bed because the bed was uncomfortable. In college I slept on a cotton futon on the floor, which for my young body was perfectly comfortable. I'm in my late 40's. A few years ago slept on the ground camping, other than a thin 1" pad and sleeping bag. And it was uncomfortable. Sometimes things that are fine when young, can't do it when get older. And while I don't mind a low bed, I don't want to sleep on the ground.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2017, 01:34:37 PM »

I'll show myself out.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2017, 02:12:36 PM »

I'll show myself out.

+1 hilarious.

One day...

snacky, ditch the box spring and bed frame and try sleeping on the foam topper on the floor. I bet it will be a million times more comfortable!

Getting up from the floor is brutal on my achey breaky joints. I like some elevation in my sleeping situation.
Plus, boning...

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2017, 05:54:05 PM »

Whats expensive the wife or the bed? :p

"Yes"...

At the time I was just thinking the bed.  Then I got the bill for her latest set of femaie specific checkups at the doctor's office.  Ouch.  Her yearly basics are easily 5x what mine are!  Good think I didn't do that math before getting married...

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2017, 10:07:04 PM »
I had a 20yr old futon on a bed frame that I found quite comfortable. GF hated it and wanted a new mattress. I don't find it to be that great, but I can sleep pretty much anywhere.

After the first night on the new mattress someone asked me how I liked the new mattress?  My reply was "I'll let you know as soon as my GF gets up and tells me."

Padme9055

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2017, 08:04:42 AM »
DH has a bed and mattress that almost predate me (I'm 11 yrs younger). Plus it's a full size and just barely fits one large and one plus size persons. But he isn't ready to get a new mattress yet.

I'd almost want to try a Japanese style futon, the kind you fold up during the day and lay out at night. But I also don't like getting up off the floor . . . But those cabinet beds that close up, those are pretty cool.

Sent from my RCT6773W42B using Tapatalk

dios.del.sol

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2017, 09:22:05 AM »
After the first night on the new mattress someone asked me how I liked the new mattress?  My reply was "I'll let you know as soon as my GF gets up and tells me."
That's kind of what I'm getting at: happy wife, happy life.

tipster350

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2017, 10:05:30 AM »
I almost want to add a poll to this thread to see what the age of people posting are. When I was in highschool, my childhood bed was so lumpy I slept on the floor (carpet) instead of the bed because the bed was uncomfortable. In college I slept on a cotton futon on the floor, which for my young body was perfectly comfortable. I'm in my late 40's. A few years ago slept on the ground camping, other than a thin 1" pad and sleeping bag. And it was uncomfortable. Sometimes things that are fine when young, can't do it when get older. And while I don't mind a low bed, I don't want to sleep on the ground.

Haha, that's what I was thinking. Let's check back on this question when the floor sleepers are in their 40s, 50s and 60s!

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2017, 11:16:17 AM »
Some of you are absolutely insane.  A wonderfully comfortable bed is one of the great joys in life.  About four years ago we bought a really good mattress for each other as a Christmas gift ... I still crawl in bed at night and think, "Ahhhhh..."  We have a deliciously soft set of flannel sheets, which enhance the experience. 

As for a raised bed, yeah, it's a need too.  Once you're out of your 30s, you'll appreciate it more.  Also, a raised bed makes for a good seat in the bedroom, a comfortable place to change a baby's diaper or fold clothes, and it provides for under-bed storage. 

Finally, in the grand scheme of things, a bed isn't an expensive proposition.  Yes, a top-quality mattress is expensive up front, but it's not hard to find a good deal, and it lasts for years. 

C-note

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2017, 01:31:06 PM »
Would all the no-mattress sleepers who are also cold-shower-takers please raise your hand?

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2017, 10:20:03 PM »
If you are young you can get by with sleeping without a mattress but as you get older your body doesn't allow your to lay as it used to. I know older people go without a mattress all the time and they also complain of back/spin/hip/leg/neck/shoulder problems all the time. I still try to sleep on the couch, I'll probably do it tonight watching tv but my hips will feel the difference tomorrow. A human body rests much better on a comfy mattress. Now to those that are not human.... enjoy the floor......

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2017, 07:11:11 AM »
I'd look into a hammock or something . . . but that seems like it would make sexy time even more complicated.
One person lies on hammock.  The other stands and gives the hammock a gentle push.

Works great for camping at night (I find it to be quieter than that tarpy tent material), I imagine it could also work indoors.

ministashy

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2017, 10:53:08 AM »
DH has a bed and mattress that almost predate me (I'm 11 yrs younger). Plus it's a full size and just barely fits one large and one plus size persons. But he isn't ready to get a new mattress yet.

I'd almost want to try a Japanese style futon, the kind you fold up during the day and lay out at night. But I also don't like getting up off the floor . . . But those cabinet beds that close up, those are pretty cool.

Sent from my RCT6773W42B using Tapatalk

I couldn't afford a cabinet bed, but didn't want to replace my old huge heavy mattress with a new huge heavy mattress after I started having back problems (because it was so old).  Plus, had a perfectly good bedframe (metal and solid wood) that had been handed down from my parents that I saw no reason to get rid of.  Solution--two Japanese-style futon mattresses on top of a box spring!  Works pretty well--still have the occasional neck problem, but no more back problems, and I can fold them up/move them around whenever I need to.  Only issue I had was that the box spring didn't have enough slats across to keep the futon from sagging into the gaps--fixed that with Ikea birch slat supports.  Entire setup is pretty environmentally friendly too, compared to a conventional mattress.

If I'd had access to shop tools, I probably could have built something to convert my existing frame into a platform bed.  But this works pretty well for me--nice and firm, but I don't have to hoist myself off the floor every morning.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2017, 11:15:03 AM »
I like sleeping on a bed over the floor.  Much more comfortable IMO.  I hate sleeping with my wife (or anyone) though and would much prefer to have my own bed, or even better my own bedroom.  My wife has a lot of resistance to that idea though, so it looks like I'm stuck sleeping with her and losing out on thousands of hours of restful sleep over my life because she wants to be near me.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2017, 11:36:56 AM »
I like sleeping on a bed over the floor.  Much more comfortable IMO.  I hate sleeping with my wife (or anyone) though and would much prefer to have my own bed, or even better my own bedroom.  My wife has a lot of resistance to that idea though, so it looks like I'm stuck sleeping with her and losing out on thousands of hours of restful sleep over my life because she wants to be near me.

If you get a really tall bed frame you could sneak under the bed at night for some restful sleep.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2017, 11:50:54 AM »

If you get a really tall bed frame you could sneak under the bed at night for some restful sleep.

Sounds like a wicked fort.  Sorry honey, the sign says no girls allowed.

dios.del.sol

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2017, 12:24:19 PM »
Okay. I'm now calling bullshit on lots of this. I get it. Beds are comfy and really, none of this is a big deal. If you want to sleep in a bed, I'm not gonna fart in your general direction. But...

...it's totally out of the spirit of the forum and the blog. Not that I'm a purist. In fact, I barf every time somebody writes "mustachian" as if they were protectors of orthodoxy. But come on! The subtitle of the blog is "financial freedom through badassity". Shouldn't we, generally speaking, be encouraging people to move in the direction of greater badassity?

So, like, instead of

Some of you are absolutely insane.  A wonderfully comfortable bed is one of the great joys in life.  About four years ago we bought a really good mattress for each other as a Christmas gift ... I still crawl in bed at night and think, "Ahhhhh..."  We have a deliciously soft set of flannel sheets, which enhance the experience.

How about something more like, "Hey, that's totally not for me, I couldn't handle it, but power to you"?

Remember this post on convenience?

“I like running my A/C at 72 degrees, because it’s just so nice to come in out of the Texas heat into a fresh, cool house. Then I do the laundry and use my electric clothes dryer to get crisp, hot clothes ready to wear without all that hassle of hanging them up to dry”. Uh-huh. If only your clothes were equipped with catheters and bedpans, then you’d really be set, wouldn’t you!?

Just substitute mattress for AC. (Full disclosure: I use a dryer and realize that it's stupid and appreciate being called out on it.) Or this post on stoicism?

Moving from the mental to the physical, Stoics actually enjoy experimenting with Voluntary Discomfort. As a contemporary Stoic, you might make a point of seeing how long you can leave the air conditioning off on a summer day, or try hiking in bare feet instead of shoes occasionally to feel the land and force your feet to adapt to tougher conditions than a moisture-wicking merino wool hiking sock.  It sounds absurd by modern standards, until you realize that by doing this, you are actually broadening your comfort zone, even while you eliminate your fear of discomfort.

This forum is starting to sound a lot like the rest of society. "You're crazy. That's not realistic. I need my comforts. Blah, blah, blah."

End rant.

To answer other questions, I only take cold showers on hot summer days and I'm in my 40s. I just stay fit. It turns out that staying fit fixes a lot of problems. Problems such as being too wimpy to get up off the floor.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2017, 01:00:33 PM »

This has less to do with age and more to do with your body adapting to the situations that you repeatedly put it in.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2017, 02:01:57 PM »
I went out and bought a bed because I had started a relationship. Am I or my partner technically prostitutes now?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2017, 02:33:28 PM »
I went out and bought a bed because I had started a relationship. Am I or my partner technically prostitutes now?

I think the answer to this question lies in your tax return.  Have you written the bed off as a business expense?

farfromfire

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2017, 02:35:35 PM »
I'm with you OP, I mainly have a bed for the underneath storage space. Although I still don't understand if you mean you have a bed so you can sleep next to your wife or have sex with her (no joke).

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2017, 02:43:05 PM »
Okay. I'm now calling bullshit on lots of this. I get it. Beds are comfy and really, none of this is a big deal. If you want to sleep in a bed, I'm not gonna fart in your general direction. But...

...it's totally out of the spirit of the forum and the blog. Not that I'm a purist. In fact, I barf every time somebody writes "mustachian" as if they were protectors of orthodoxy. But come on! The subtitle of the blog is "financial freedom through badassity". Shouldn't we, generally speaking, be encouraging people to move in the direction of greater badassity?

So, like, instead of

How about something more like, "Hey, that's totally not for me, I couldn't handle it, but power to you"?

Remember this post on convenience?

“I like running my A/C at 72 degrees, because it’s just so nice to come in out of the Texas heat into a fresh, cool house. Then I do the laundry and use my electric clothes dryer to get crisp, hot clothes ready to wear without all that hassle of hanging them up to dry”. Uh-huh. If only your clothes were equipped with catheters and bedpans, then you’d really be set, wouldn’t you!?

Just substitute mattress for AC. (Full disclosure: I use a dryer and realize that it's stupid and appreciate being called out on it.) Or this post on stoicism?

Moving from the mental to the physical, Stoics actually enjoy experimenting with Voluntary Discomfort. As a contemporary Stoic, you might make a point of seeing how long you can leave the air conditioning off on a summer day, or try hiking in bare feet instead of shoes occasionally to feel the land and force your feet to adapt to tougher conditions than a moisture-wicking merino wool hiking sock.  It sounds absurd by modern standards, until you realize that by doing this, you are actually broadening your comfort zone, even while you eliminate your fear of discomfort.

This forum is starting to sound a lot like the rest of society. "You're crazy. That's not realistic. I need my comforts. Blah, blah, blah."

End rant.

To answer other questions, I only take cold showers on hot summer days and I'm in my 40s. I just stay fit. It turns out that staying fit fixes a lot of problems. Problems such as being too wimpy to get up off the floor.

Slow your roll their buddy. No one is saying they need their 800 count Egyptian cotton $400 sheets new every 6 months because the fibers just loose their...'feel.' while keeping the AC at 67 because they like the pressure of the heavier comforter and cannot get too hot. That Tempurpedic just cannot hold that shape more than a few months; but hey, you only live once and it is their one 'small' pleasure in life.

What is a decent mattress? $300? every 10 years? so like 8 cents/2 people per night of sleep. not too bad. If this is really bothering you just put a plywood board down for yourself and switch places with wife after her side wears out.

dios.del.sol

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2017, 02:44:02 PM »
I'm with you OP, I mainly have a bed for the underneath storage space. Although I still don't understand if you mean you have a bed so you can sleep next to your wife or have sex with her (no joke).
Hah. I meant sleep in the literal sense.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!