Author Topic: I make $500,000 a year and I still ride a scooter  (Read 17204 times)

Camarillo Brillo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: I make $500,000 a year and I still ride a scooter
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2015, 08:32:39 PM »
No bashing. But I'm curious what line of work you're in that you make 800k a year, and why you're on the forum. Do you plan on retiring soon? You're already FI.
I'm on the exec management team at a company with sales in excess of 1B, and I'm responsible for one of the functional departments. We've been doing a solid job managing the company and are highly profitable.  As a result, we're all highly compensated.  My background is in high-tech with 20 years in silicon valley although I now reside in a very low cost of living area in the Midwest.

I will retire in either 24 or 30 months, but I'll still have 1 kid in school then.  I've tried writing this reply a few times but I keep deleting it because it's not coming out right. 

The other factor I need to consider is that I have a serious health issue that's plagued me since I was 26.  It's hereditary and the same thing killed my dad when he was 35.  I realize it's silly to keep working but my job is very easy, I take off almost 7 weeks a year, take off most Fridays, and the job can be a lot of fun.  I just need to give my self a kick in the ass and call it a day.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2015, 11:18:43 PM »
I make $120k and ride a scooter... I am a girl tho, so probably will not be copping the same flack for it as a bloke. Riding scooters is fun why would you stop!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2015, 07:42:14 AM »
It's even manlier if you do it wearing a pink tutu and a tube top. :)

Nonsense.  Real men ride to work in garishly colored form fitting spandex.

It is true, nothing says manly like neon yellow nut huggers.

I also used to partake in the manly art of wrestling.  You get all the same nut hugging spandex of cycling, but you're writhing on the floor with another sweaty, hairy man.  Cycling stuff seems positively tame to me now . . .

:P

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2015, 12:32:18 PM »
Haha, that's right after a couple of years of jiu-jitsu body contact no longer means much of anything.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2015, 09:06:57 AM »
Haha, that's right after a couple of years of jiu-jitsu body contact no longer means much of anything.

Wrestling and BJJ here as well. No gi, working your guard or end up in north/south. Super manly, lol!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!