Author Topic: I Just Launched trackFI.com - I Would LOVE Your Feedback!  (Read 33426 times)

atribecalledquest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: I Just Launched trackFI.com - I Would LOVE Your Feedback!
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2016, 06:07:35 PM »
Qualifier:  scanned the thread briefly and have not visited briefly clicked on privacy policy at the site.
[edit:  I see you have an extensive privacy policy and several security features described on the cover sheet, so clearly you are thinking about what I wrote below. That is good.  Personally, I would never entrust a site with my account information under the privacy policy terms as written, but many will.  Good luck]

Comment:  I currently work with financial information in the context of delivering a public service.  One area to possibly research is protecting your customers and your own company from any liability issues associated with handling what might be considered personal, confidential information.  Financial information is attractive to scammers or identity thieves. Hackers can use IP addresses and other matching techniques to link entries to the real identity of a user.  If there is risk that information you handle could be misused it is something to protect against.  For example, my broker sometimes asks me to describe a balance or provide financial information to verify identity. I would not want to enter my balances or accounts or my mortgage on a site without top notch security.  Or if you store files locally on user devices, they should be encrypted, hashed, etc.

Accordingly I would explore:
* get legal advice on protecting yourself from possible liabilities associated with claims related to any data breach, security flaw or other site related negligence that could allow a third party to misuse any information you store.  A well crafted user agreement is a good start.  Also make sure you are familiar with any legal requirements.  For example, merchant laws in certain states prohibit collecting and maintaining certain types of personal information without clear agreements proactively signed.
* hire a third party security expert to hack away at your site to find possible flaws before scammers do, so the holes can be plugged.  Consider working with someone familiar with banking and related sites that are very secure. The big 4 accounting/audit firms and specialized security consultants are particularly good at advice in that area.
* encourage users to use ID and passwords that are unique and not personally identifiable, and to not enter exact figures so their information, if hacked, is not something usable by a third party.

Hopefully you already thought of these issues.  The PCI DSS standard is a good primer on some important data security issues, and is free to download from VISA, MASTERCARD or related sites. Of course it is focused only in security for credit card related data handling.

Thank you PizzaSteve, you bring up some really important concerns. I just introduced new Terms and Conditions and I started taking the next steps.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2016, 03:09:16 AM »
I go to the home page to check it out, and want to see what it looks like, but there's just a bunch of animated gifs that move too quickly for me to scrutinize.

I'm not done looking at one screen when it changes, and sitting through a cycle (and then doing that 4-5 times) gets annoying.

Can you replace some of those with screenshots, or slow down their animation at least?  :)

What's your monetization plan?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Kalergie

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2016, 04:39:26 AM »
Loving this. I have been tracking my expenses with Excel but might switch to this.

1) Is there a way to import 3 years worth of excel data so I don't have to manually do it?
2) Although I track my networth in USD, I have recurring cashflows in different currencies. It would be nice to have a way to incorporate different currencies. The default currency can still be USD and in the end the tool could show combine everything into the default currency on the dashboard. (using oanda.com or what ever as a daily converter)

Good work, man! I am jealous of your skills. ;)

Breadwinner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2016, 11:28:36 AM »
I just made my second monthly entry, and I'm really excited to track my progress. One question, should I add debt payments to the monthly expenses?

driftxsequence

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2016, 02:46:42 PM »

When I said adding expenses, I mean expense entries/transactions, not the categories.

If I purchase $8.05 worth of groceries tonight, I'll go back and add $8.05 to my october groceries category.  I would prefer to type in $8.05 somewhere and click a plus button, and it's automatically added.  Instead, I have to add it to my "running tab" in a calculator (or my head), let's say 250.25+8.05 and update the groceries category to be $258.30.  That make sense?

This would be a nice little feature.

I went through my bank account transactions and had to keep busting out the calculator to add the next item that may fall in that category. A little box next to the main category box that you put your transaction total in and hit ADD and it adds it to the category total for you.

Slyder22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2016, 01:53:49 PM »
This is an awesome tool, set it all up today. Will have more time to dig into it and give feedback in a few days. So far it rocks.

MFG_Hotspur

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2016, 09:38:50 PM »
This is awesome! I just started tracking my expenses back in March of this year and created my own summary document in excel that stores a lot of the same info, but this is much more flexible and is great at quickly visualizing important pieces of information.

I just have one piece of minor feedback (hopefully this wasn't already mentioned). Having the ability to load entries by account for multiple time periods instead of by month for all accounts would probably make it easier to load multiple months at once (e.g. when people are first setting it up). I think your current method is the best way to do it going forward when loading one month at a time, but I think the method I mentioned makes it easier to load multiple months at once.

For example, I have my investments, cash and income stored in different places but I had monthly views of each. For each month, I had to switch between these multiple data sources when loading my information, but it would have been easier to load all 8 months for cash then move on to investments, then move onto income, etc.

EDIT: I would also add that it would be good to be able to see my savings rate over time (sorry again if this was already mentioned).

I also have one question for you - before using this website, I tracked student loans as an expense and in my spreadsheet I had a sum of expenses for the month that included student loan payments and one that didn't (I wanted to track when I made an extra payment but also not have that impact my overall expenses). Would you recommend I not enter student loans as an expense since it is tracked in my loan balance and so other things are calculated differently (savings rate and years to FI)?

« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 09:52:09 PM by MFG_Hotspur »

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2016, 09:25:02 PM »
I entered in my info and the site is awesome.  However, there's no advertisements and I didn't have to pay to use it.  So, you do a lot of work and I get a lot of benefit???  That seems like a lopsided arrangement.

You asked for feedback.  My suggestion is to fill the site with ads so you get paid and it remains free for me:) 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2016, 10:21:45 PM »
I entered in my info and the site is awesome.  However, there's no advertisements and I didn't have to pay to use it.  So, you do a lot of work and I get a lot of benefit???  That seems like a lopsided arrangement.

You asked for feedback.  My suggestion is to fill the site with ads so you get paid and it remains free for me:)
That's why I asked about monetization, above. OP never replied. I'd be worried about my data being sold. YMMV. :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2016, 10:30:39 PM »

Can you replace some of those with screenshots, or slow down their animation at least?  :)

Agree - they move too quickly.

Grogounet

• Bristles
    • http://www.quest2independence.com
« Reply #110 on: December 04, 2016, 12:02:05 AM »
Before I sign up, is it this relevant when you're not a US citizen?

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: December 04, 2016, 12:20:22 AM »
On the subject of security and liability you really aught to consider setting up an llc to own this if you have not already. Better yet consult an actual legal professional about the best way to limit your personal liability in the event of legal action of any kind.

dryer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: December 05, 2016, 10:07:37 AM »
following

atribecalledquest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2016, 04:31:06 PM »
I just made my second monthly entry, and I'm really excited to track my progress. One question, should I add debt payments to the monthly expenses?

Hi Breadwinner, thanks for trying out trackFI! Regarding tracking debt payments, the way I do it is I add any debts I have as a new Account (credit card, loan, other liability). Then each month, I input whatever the debt repayment amount was.

For example, if I have a Chase credit card, I would create a new Account with a type of 'credit card'. Come January, I would input the amount I paid towards that debt in December. So if I paid $1230 for the December statement on that Chase credit card, I would enter that in January for the December entry.

If you paid for a certain expense with your Chase credit card, you would still want to keep track of that item as an Expense.

atribecalledquest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: December 05, 2016, 04:31:55 PM »
Loving this. I have been tracking my expenses with Excel but might switch to this.

1) Is there a way to import 3 years worth of excel data so I don't have to manually do it?
2) Although I track my networth in USD, I have recurring cashflows in different currencies. It would be nice to have a way to incorporate different currencies. The default currency can still be USD and in the end the tool could show combine everything into the default currency on the dashboard. (using oanda.com or what ever as a daily converter)

Good work, man! I am jealous of your skills. ;)

Actively working on both of these features! The currency one is a big one I keep hearing! Thanks for trying it out and providing feedback!

atribecalledquest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #115 on: December 05, 2016, 04:45:42 PM »
I go to the home page to check it out, and want to see what it looks like, but there's just a bunch of animated gifs that move too quickly for me to scrutinize.

I'm not done looking at one screen when it changes, and sitting through a cycle (and then doing that 4-5 times) gets annoying.

Sorry that the images are moving to fast! They are actually html5 video files, which means, if you are using Chrome, you can right click them and hit Show Controls. This will provide you with a play/pause interface! See below for more instructions:

Regarding monetization, I mentioned a few ideas on the prior page (see below for quote). Long story short, I'd love to have freemium model (pay for more advanced feature while keeping the basic app free). If that doesn't work, I might have to resort to display ads/affiliate marketing (credit card offers, personal capital, etc).

I've had great feedback from the MMM community but the user base is still really small, so monetization is very much putting the cart before the horse. I want to iron out all the kinks and make the platform as useful as possible before starting to think too much about how to make money.

On a more selfish note, I get to say that I built this web application that real people use :)

Regarding monetization, I have no immediate plans. I really, really, REALLY want to stay away from advertising as the monetization source at all costs. It just feels dirty and in my opinion cheapens whatever product you are using. I am hopeful that enough people find trackFI useful that I can build out advanced power user features, possibly some nifty importing, more customizable features, better control, insights, etc, and offer a premium version, at a very reasonable price (credit to fumanchu282 for the idea!). It would be totally optional and I plan to always have a free version that is very capable.

But adding membership is months off. My costs right now are around $200/month on server fees, plus around $3000 in sunk costs, so unless things increase by a factor of 10, I have plenty of runway to focus on building features and incorporating feedback. This does not take into account the literal 1000's of hours I've invested, but I look at that as more of a learning experience.

I would love nothing more than to quit my day job (which I really enjoy), and focus 110% of my time on this but until I can prove out a sustainable business model, it will remain my hobby project for the foreseeable future!

atribecalledquest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #116 on: December 05, 2016, 04:47:43 PM »
This is an awesome tool, set it all up today. Will have more time to dig into it and give feedback in a few days. So far it rocks.

Thanks for trying it out. Glad to hear you are liking it so far!

atribecalledquest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #117 on: December 05, 2016, 04:48:28 PM »

When I said adding expenses, I mean expense entries/transactions, not the categories.

If I purchase $8.05 worth of groceries tonight, I'll go back and add $8.05 to my october groceries category.  I would prefer to type in $8.05 somewhere and click a plus button, and it's automatically added.  Instead, I have to add it to my "running tab" in a calculator (or my head), let's say 250.25+8.05 and update the groceries category to be $258.30.  That make sense?

This would be a nice little feature.

I went through my bank account transactions and had to keep busting out the calculator to add the next item that may fall in that category. A little box next to the main category box that you put your transaction total in and hit ADD and it adds it to the category total for you.

This is the 2nd or 3rd request I've heard to this. Just bumped it up on the todo list :)

Thanks for trying it out.

atribecalledquest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #118 on: December 05, 2016, 04:55:10 PM »

Thanks aceyou! I am flattered you are liking the app so far! I do agree that its a little lopsided right now but its been a hobby project for the past 2 years. I eventually would love to make some money through either a freemium model (pay for advanced features) or advertising, but right now I am just happy people are using it and finding it beneficial!

It would have been a major bummer if no one liked or needed or found the site useful.

Luckily, not including sunk costs (around $4000 now), the site only costs about $150/month to run. While I don't want to be running in the red every month, I can float the site for the foreseeable future with no problems.

Right now, I am most concerned with delivering value via making the app more useful than I am about making money.

atribecalledquest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #119 on: December 05, 2016, 05:04:02 PM »

That's why I asked about monetization, above. OP never replied. I'd be worried about my data being sold. YMMV. :)

I have zero interest in selling information. I would rather beg for paypal donations and shut down the site than sell information. At most, I might run advertising as a last ditch effort to keep the site in the black if all else fails, but outright selling of information is off the table.

atribecalledquest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: December 05, 2016, 05:05:11 PM »

Agree - they move too quickly.

Sorry about that Tami, try this:

Sorry that the images are moving to fast! They are actually html5 video files, which means, if you are using Chrome, you can right click them and hit Show Controls. This will provide you with a play/pause interface! See below for more instructions:

atribecalledquest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2016, 05:09:20 PM »
Before I sign up, is it this relevant when you're not a US citizen?

Hi Grogounet, anyone can signup and use the site! The only US centric item is that the site currently uses the "$" sign exclusively. I intend to internationalize the site but the math behind all the widgets, charts and tables doesnt change as long as you are consistent in using one currency.

For example, while the site might show dollar signs, if you enter all your information in pounds, the site will work great, just ignore the dollar signs (for the time being!).

Hope that cleared it up for you.

atribecalledquest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2016, 05:11:04 PM »
On the subject of security and liability you really aught to consider setting up an llc to own this if you have not already. Better yet consult an actual legal professional about the best way to limit your personal liability in the event of legal action of any kind.
I did spin the website out into its own LLC, setup separate business accounts and have talked to a handful of lawyers on the topic.

Appreciate the advice!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2016, 05:15:56 PM »

I have zero interest in selling information. I would rather beg for paypal donations and shut down the site than sell information. At most, I might run advertising as a last ditch effort to keep the site in the black if all else fails, but outright selling of information is off the table.

I'm glad to hear that.  :)

My concern would be if/when your site catches the attention of a company that wants to buy it, and makes you a good offer that makes you instantly FI that you decide to take.  Who knows if that company feels the same way about user data as you--they may in fact specifically want that data.

mickeyj

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2016, 10:33:44 PM »
Love the website so far and I've spent some time creating accounts, and copying & pasting numbers from spreadsheet into the website.

May I ask if you can add edit and delete buttons in the Entries page (https://www.trackfi.com/entries) so that we can skip an additional step of selecting the entry and then clicking on the 'edit' button.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2016, 07:57:42 AM »

Thanks aceyou! I am flattered you are liking the app so far! I do agree that its a little lopsided right now but its been a hobby project for the past 2 years. I eventually would love to make some money through either a freemium model (pay for advanced features) or advertising, but right now I am just happy people are using it and finding it beneficial!

It would have been a major bummer if no one liked or needed or found the site useful.

Luckily, not including sunk costs (around $4000 now), the site only costs about $150/month to run. While I don't want to be running in the red every month, I can float the site for the foreseeable future with no problems.

Right now, I am most concerned with delivering value via making the app more useful than I am about making money.

Glad to hear that.  Ok, well my recommendation then for you to maximize profits would be to keep it add free for a while so it looks really clean.  Basically, build up a very happy client base as quickly as possible.  Then when it starts to get kinda big, start adding in ads, and possibly premium content for people who want very advanced stuff. 

Honestly, you might want to look into creating a tab with links to credit cards.  It seems like lots of financial leaning websites are doing that right now, so there must be a big financial payout to doing so.  That way you get a potentially solid income stream without it really interfering with the users experience.  Just something to consider. 

atribecalledquest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2016, 04:39:25 PM »
Love the website so far and I've spent some time creating accounts, and copying & pasting numbers from spreadsheet into the website.

May I ask if you can add edit and delete buttons in the Entries page (https://www.trackfi.com/entries) so that we can skip an additional step of selecting the entry and then clicking on the 'edit' button.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

Thanks for your very kind words mickeyj! Great suggestion, I've gone ahead and introduced that functionality. Please let me know if there is anything else that is bugging you with the app!

mickeyj

• Stubble
« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2016, 07:20:48 PM »

Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

Thanks for your very kind words mickeyj! Great suggestion, I've gone ahead and introduced that functionality. Please let me know if there is anything else that is bugging you with the app!

Woohoo! Thank you very much! :)

atribecalledquest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2016, 08:04:36 PM »
This is awesome! I just started tracking my expenses back in March of this year and created my own summary document in excel that stores a lot of the same info, but this is much more flexible and is great at quickly visualizing important pieces of information.

MFG_Hotspur thanks for trying it out. Your kind words are keeping me motivated!

I just have one piece of minor feedback (hopefully this wasn't already mentioned). Having the ability to load entries by account for multiple time periods instead of by month for all accounts would probably make it easier to load multiple months at once (e.g. when people are first setting it up). I think your current method is the best way to do it going forward when loading one month at a time, but I think the method I mentioned makes it easier to load multiple months at once.

For example, I have my investments, cash and income stored in different places but I had monthly views of each. For each month, I had to switch between these multiple data sources when loading my information, but it would have been easier to load all 8 months for cash then move on to investments, then move onto income, etc.

Completely agree. Being able to onboard data faster and easier is a major priority. Thanks for putting up with the system as is! I am still thinking through the best way to do it, but I am leaning towards a formatted csv import type system. Setup all your accounts, export the a templated csv, and then upload it. Something along those lines.

EDIT: I would also add that it would be good to be able to see my savings rate over time (sorry again if this was already mentioned).

Great suggestion! I went ahead and added historical charts for all the remaining metrics. Thanks for that feedback.

I also have one question for you - before using this website, I tracked student loans as an expense and in my spreadsheet I had a sum of expenses for the month that included student loan payments and one that didn't (I wanted to track when I made an extra payment but also not have that impact my overall expenses). Would you recommend I not enter student loans as an expense since it is tracked in my loan balance and so other things are calculated differently (savings rate and years to FI)?

The way I would handle that is to keep tracking the student loan payments as an expense. You will also want to track the outstanding balance of the student loan as an account (loan). If you wanted more transparency, you could create a second expense and track any surplus student loan payments there.

For example, let's say your student loan payment is $500 and the total loan amount is $10,000. I would create an Account called "Sallie Mae Student Loan" with the type of loan and an Expense called "Student Loan". Lets say the first month passes and I create an Entry where the "Sallie Mae Student Loan" Account has a balance of $9,500 (assuming you paid it) and the Expense "Student Loan" had a value of $500. If you wanted to pay additional beyond what you typically do and wanted more insight into that, you can create a new Expense called "Student Loan - extra payment" and put in whatever amount you paid on top of your normal amount.

You are correct in your assertion that additional payments (aka expenses) will impact Savings Rate and Years Saved as those are functions of expense. However, I'm not sure how accurate those metrics would be if you excluded your surplus payment (expense) as that is not a fair assessment of the truth either. On a positive note, the Time til FI metric takes into account networth, which will be improving as you pay down the loan.

With all that said, I think the real beauty of trackFI comes through after a few months/years of entries as you start seeing larger and positive trends.

mickeyj

• Stubble
« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2016, 08:43:13 PM »
On charting improvements.

I'd love to use your charts for my blogs as well.

Most of the charts work really well, especially in the Overview section.

The tricky part comes when I dive into the Assets, Liabilities and Expenses, those chart need a bit more work because:
1) The pie charts have very similar colors that I can't really tell them apart and I'd really love to be able to just click on a checkbox to display the name of each slice, another checkbox to display the percentage, and another to display the value.
2) I have many assets (some of which are really saving buckets like Family Emergency Fund, Investment War Chest, etc.) and many expenses (some of which are broken down into Food - Restaurant, Food - Food Court, etc. to be more specific about where my money went).

For item 1, it's easy to resolve.

For item 2, it would be super cool to be able to group accounts together. For example, I'd love to group expenses like "Food - Restaurant" and "Food - Food Court" together under a group name called "F&B" and group assets like "Family Emergency Fund" and "Investment War Chest" together as "Cash" so that in the charts, we don't have so many items and it's cleaner.

I wonder if that's possible. The alternative is for me to have an account called F&B and sum up the food expenses from food courts and restaurants together. I kinda prefer not to as I want to be as consistent as my expense tracking app.

What do you think?

Vilgan

• Bristles
« Reply #130 on: December 08, 2016, 10:24:15 AM »
Having to create a username and password for your site was a huge turnoff.

See: https://blog.codinghorror.com/your-internet-drivers-license/

Something to consider as you look at more features. I can't remember the last time I made a new account to log into a website.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #131 on: December 08, 2016, 11:14:01 AM »

Something to consider as you look at more features. I can't remember the last time I made a new account to log into a website.

Counterpoint: As soon as you use an OAuth/OpenID provider as your login, people will complain "Having to have a <provider> account for your site was a huge turnoff."

I know this, because I've experienced it.

You simply can't please everyone. Do what works best for *your* site. For every person you accommodate for their pet peeve, you'll irritate another with the accommodation.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #132 on: December 08, 2016, 11:25:10 AM »
Sorry if someone mentioned this, but my first feedback is the signup flow. One - I accidentally clicked Login instead of Signup. Then... when I did sign up, it took me to the home page with no indication of success. So I clicked "Start Now" and... I'm back on Sign up?! It's confusing.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #133 on: December 08, 2016, 11:26:24 AM »
My second issue is that you disallow characters in username (i.e. you cannot use an email address) but then you go to Login... and it asks for Email and Password. Well... which is it. Do I enter my username or my email address? Maybe they should be the same!

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #134 on: December 08, 2016, 11:36:32 AM »
Expenses != Expense Categories, but it says Expenses and Add Expenses, and then I go back to the intro page and realize I've just created categories for every expense!

(OK I got lucky and only entered my mortgage payment...) but this is confusing.

Also why must I edit an expense (category?) to make it recurring? Why can't I check this while I add it.

ETA: Similarly, annoying that my income defaults to NOT recurring and I must go back and edit it.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 11:40:43 AM by neo von retorch »

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #135 on: December 08, 2016, 11:48:21 AM »
OK, now that I see how it works, it looks like a neat addition to what I already have/do but far from a replacement.

Currently I...
* Track all transactions in my own custom web-based software
* Use my software's end-of-month account values and budget categories totals
* Populate two spreadsheets with those account values and budget values
* Use the entries into the spreadsheets plus charts, formulas, etc to see income/expenses over time, forecast account values into the future, etc.

Given all those things, it was easy to take my November snapshot and copy it into your software (I've cheated and only did accounts and a handful of income/expense items so far) and then I can see what it calculates for me. But given all that I'm doing already, this is just a (hard-earned) bonus on top.

To remediate this (and I think other forum members have contributed similar ideas), you'd want to track transactions rather than month-end category totals, and those transactions would have to work with various time frames (weekly, bi-weekly, semi-monthly, monthly, quarterly, 6-months, annual) - then calculate the month-end category totals for the user. Obviously that's much bigger than what you're doing now; a lot of work to get there. This is simpler, and maybe should be. There's a place for that. But right now, at best, I would copy information I've already worked hard to get into your software once a month, and let it do a few calculations I'm not already doing. (Of course, I may not be in your target demographic.) I guess I'm having a tough time deciding who this would best suit, or how you could use this effectively without already having another tool that does most of the heavy lifting for you.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #136 on: December 08, 2016, 11:56:45 AM »
Now that I've added all my income/expenses, when I add/edit entries, I'd love if those categories were in alphabetical order. Instead, they are the opposite of the order I entered them... and I entered them alphabetically! So I have to read up my spreadsheet entries instead of in order.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #137 on: December 08, 2016, 12:49:18 PM »
So I'm obviously interested in your application to enter three months worth of data. So don't take all of my suggestions as negative :)

Anyway, some other minor observations.

I'm not sure redirects are consistent, i.e. I might click Add Expense and then be taken to the Expense itself after I add it. I might click Add Income and then be taken to the list of Incomes. This should be consistent.

Minimize clicks! Hovering over Incomes and then clicking View All is fine, but having to click Incomes and then View All is an extra (unnecessary) click. (This is also why I don't like when I'm not taking back to a list while I'm clicking Add Expense because I have to click two extra times to get back to the list.

"Recurring" is a little weird - most people just use this word to mean "it reoccurs" but the value can change a little or a lot each month. Also, it is using the first ever value I entered for something, even if it was the odd one out, so I keep having to overwrite it. If it's going to copy a value, why not copy the most recently entered value?

Is there overlap - i.e. you say that 401k is "accounted for" by 401k balance. But I also have an income entry for 401k contributions. Am I double dipping? Does this affect calculations? (Same with say Loan amounts and Expenses labeled Loan Payment - is it doubled up in calculations?)

As someone else mentioned, can you split "net worth" and "stash" up a bit? I don't want real estate to count as "invested, income-generating value" but I still want to see it in my "net worth." In my own parlance, I use the term "investable" (which is not a real word, apparently.) I do see you have things like "Income, Passive, and Portfolio" when it comes to Incomes, and you have assets that are "Property" rather than "Liquid", but it's not clear if these are taken into calculations.

Vilgan

• Bristles
« Reply #138 on: December 08, 2016, 03:23:47 PM »

Counterpoint: As soon as you use an OAuth/OpenID provider as your login, people will complain "Having to have a <provider> account for your site was a huge turnoff."

I know this, because I've experienced it.

You simply can't please everyone. Do what works best for *your* site. For every person you accommodate for their pet peeve, you'll irritate another with the accommodation.

Many web apps offer both account creation or logging in w/ facebook/google etc. That's fine. But not having any sort of sane auth login option in 2016 is less so.

This thread asks for feedback so I gave it. I hit that and didn't bother to go further.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #139 on: December 08, 2016, 05:54:32 PM »
I vastly prefer creating my own login to having to use Facebook/Google/etc. and having those accounts tied together.  I'm tracked enough, thank you very much, and forcing me to tie a financial account like this site to another ID I have?   No thanks.

mickeyj

• Stubble
« Reply #140 on: December 08, 2016, 06:44:13 PM »
I vastly prefer creating my own login to having to use Facebook/Google/etc. and having those accounts tied together.  I'm tracked enough, thank you very much, and forcing me to tie a financial account like this site to another ID I have?   No thanks.

Same for me. I've started using LastPass recently and overhauled all the passwords in my existing accounts.

It's safe to say that apart from the Master password to login to LastPass, every single password in each account is different. I'd prefer to stick with creating my own login accounts.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #141 on: December 08, 2016, 06:55:09 PM »
Chiming in to agree. I would not use this personally if I had to tie in Facebook or Google+. Just, nope.

atribecalledquest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #142 on: December 09, 2016, 06:08:56 PM »

Hi Vilgan, thanks for checkout out the site! I understand that some people feel very passionate about this. Im currently a team of 1 and also work full time at a day job. The odds of me integrating OAuth/OpenID is pretty low as its a fairly technical undertaking and because of the ever growing backlog of work that is piling up.

To me, I always get creeped out by OAuth/OpenID. I never know exactly what information is pulled and I don't like that there is a hard link between accounts, especially something as content rich as Google or Facebook.

I do appreciate the feedback though!

atribecalledquest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #143 on: December 09, 2016, 06:25:11 PM »
Sorry if someone mentioned this, but my first feedback is the signup flow. One - I accidentally clicked Login instead of Signup. Then... when I did sign up, it took me to the home page with no indication of success. So I clicked "Start Now" and... I'm back on Sign up?! It's confusing.

Hi neo, sorry you found that confusing. After you sign up for the first time, you are redirected to the homepage, and a message pops up at the bottom left corner, notifying you that you need to verify your email address.

Below is an example of the signup flow.

Let me know if it behaved differently for you. Thanks!

atribecalledquest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #144 on: December 09, 2016, 06:52:28 PM »
My second issue is that you disallow characters in username (i.e. you cannot use an email address) but then you go to Login... and it asks for Email and Password. Well... which is it. Do I enter my username or my email address? Maybe they should be the same!

Good question that is not entirely clear at this point! The reason the sign up flow asks for a username is that I wanted to future proof the app. It's possible that in future versions of the app, users could create public facing profiles and blog about their entries, comment on other users entries, etc.

That is all long term stuff and would be 100% optional and would only be take effect if your enabled it.

To answer you question, login is done with email only.

atribecalledquest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #145 on: December 09, 2016, 06:58:45 PM »
Expenses != Expense Categories, but it says Expenses and Add Expenses, and then I go back to the intro page and realize I've just created categories for every expense!

(OK I got lucky and only entered my mortgage payment...) but this is confusing.

Also why must I edit an expense (category?) to make it recurring? Why can't I check this while I add it.

ETA: Similarly, annoying that my income defaults to NOT recurring and I must go back and edit it.

Another great question! Thanks for really testing out the app. Right now, I've opted to not show the recurring option on new accounts/expense/income creations as I want to make the onboarding experience as straightforward as possible. I dont want to bang people over the head with a million toggle switches and options.

You bring up a valid point though, it does create more work after you are initially onboarded. If I hear more feedback, I will change it so you can set the recurring option when creating new accounts/expenses/incomes.

atribecalledquest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #146 on: December 10, 2016, 08:44:46 AM »
So I'm obviously interested in your application to enter three months worth of data. So don't take all of my suggestions as negative :)

Great to hear! The app really starts to shine when there is more than 1 or 2 entries.

Anyway, some other minor observations.

I'm not sure redirects are consistent, i.e. I might click Add Expense and then be taken to the Expense itself after I add it. I might click Add Income and then be taken to the list of Incomes. This should be consistent.

I just tested this behavior, in all cases (accounts/expenses/incomes) I am redirected back to the listings page. The only exception is Entries. After you create an entry, you are redirected to the dashboard (intentional, you get to see all your updated info!).

Minimize clicks! Hovering over Incomes and then clicking View All is fine, but having to click Incomes and then View All is an extra (unnecessary) click. (This is also why I don't like when I'm not taking back to a list while I'm clicking Add Expense because I have to click two extra times to get back to the list.

Appreciate the feedback, but I'm going to require a click on the menu items. I don't like when UI elements move around without explicit action taken on them. To me, it makes for a messy feeling user experience.

"Recurring" is a little weird - most people just use this word to mean "it reoccurs" but the value can change a little or a lot each month. Also, it is using the first ever value I entered for something, even if it was the odd one out, so I keep having to overwrite it. If it's going to copy a value, why not copy the most recently entered value?

By default, all accounts/incomes/expenses are 'recurring' in the sense that they will show up when you go to create a new Entry (default behavior is with no value). If you select a account/expense/income to Recurring, it will then use the value of the most recent entry for that item.

For example, if I have an expense called "Cell Phone" that has an amount of $40 in Oct then $50 in Nov and I set it to recurring before I create the Dec entry, when I go to create the Dec entry, it will auto-populate the line item under Expense "Cell Phone" with the value of $50 as it is the most recent value for that Expense.

Is there overlap - i.e. you say that 401k is "accounted for" by 401k balance. But I also have an income entry for 401k contributions. Am I double dipping? Does this affect calculations? (Same with say Loan amounts and Expenses labeled Loan Payment - is it doubled up in calculations?)

That makes sense to me. Tdub's method of accounting for his 401k seems very reasonable as well. I think the only thing that differs between what you are doing and what Tdub mentioned below is that you are being more explicit, meaning, you have a line item that shows your 401k contribution.

I am putting my income as gross paycheck minus taxes.  This means future 401k contributions that come from my paycheck are still counted as income, and will eventually show up as an asset, just as normal cash would.  Any paycheck deductions that don't end up in a bank account (retirement or not) are considered expenses (e.g. health insurance excluding FSA/HSA).

As someone else mentioned, can you split "net worth" and "stash" up a bit? I don't want real estate to count as "invested, income-generating value" but I still want to see it in my "net worth." In my own parlance, I use the term "investable" (which is not a real word, apparently.) I do see you have things like "Income, Passive, and Portfolio" when it comes to Incomes, and you have assets that are "Property" rather than "Liquid", but it's not clear if these are taken into calculations.

This is a great suggestion. I have a lot of ideas to make the app much more customizable for power users. But for the sake of simplicity I don't want to overcomplicate the app for beginners. If I do roll out a freemium model, I would imagine a feature like this would make it into the premium version. I've added this to the backlog!

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #147 on: December 10, 2016, 04:26:40 PM »
Thank you for sharing this, it looks great from the screenshots!

Haven't had a chance yet to really dive into this, but went to sign up today and can also say that I was turned off by having to create a separate login. I totally respect those who don't like the idea of connecting a FB/Google login, but for me the OAuth protocol makes it pretty clear what data from your Google (etc) account is being shared, and as long as the permissions are reasonable I'd much rather authenticate through that instead of having to deal with another account.

Will post again with feedback once I have more time to dig into it!

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: December 10, 2016, 09:38:24 PM »
If you run ads, and I do suggest you run some ads, I highly highly recommend that you either use google ads, or some network where you can manually approve ads and those ads can't change when you've approved them.

I always disable my adblocker on sites I trust - but that requires the ads to be, at minimum, not injecting fucking malware and tracking (google excepted, tbh).

I would never, ever allow a financials website to simply sell out my web request space to any old ad network with all that realtime bidding shit, who put god knows what onto the webpage.

mickeyj

• Stubble
« Reply #149 on: January 17, 2017, 01:23:02 AM »
Are there any plans to allow custom date range selection for overview and charts?

Now that we crossed to 2017, it will be nice to be able to select, say 1st Jan - 31st Dec 2016 to see all the information for 2016, for example. :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!