Author Topic: I guess my credit card hacking is done for a while...  (Read 16525 times)

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
I guess my credit card hacking is done for a while...
« on: March 18, 2017, 12:56:47 PM »
Applied for Wells Fargo's card with $150 signup bonus.  I just got a rejection letter due to "Too many recently opened accounts".

Anyone else run into this?  How long will I need to wait before applying for new cards?

DailyGrindFree

• Stubble
    • Daily Grind Free
Re: I guess my credit card hacking is done for a while...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 01:27:08 PM »
Well, even if Wells Fargo rejected your application it doesn't mean that others will. I don't know how many cards you applied for lately or how many cards you have. But you may want to visit reddit and some credit card churning sites to find out more information on what your next move may be. I am new to this too and trying to figure out things as I go.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 01:32:48 PM »
Well, even if Wells Fargo rejected your application it doesn't mean that others will. I don't know how many cards you applied for lately or how many cards you have. But you may want to visit reddit and some credit card churning sites to find out more information on what your next move may be. I am new to this too and trying to figure out things as I go.

In the past 3 months I've opened:

Chase Freedom cc, $150 bonus
Capital One cc, $100 bonus
Discover cc, no bonus but crazy-good cash back
BofA cc, $100 bonus
Barclays cc, $100 bonus
Key Bank checking acc't, $300 bonus
Chase checking acc't, $300 bonus

Was planning to apply for the AmEx Blue ($100 bonus) but now having second thoughts.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 02:25:21 PM »
I've opened up 4 new accounts in 2017, and had 11 new cards and a car loan in 2016. I agree - just because Wells Fargo denied you doesn't mean others will. I have a total of 6 AmEx cards and have found that they will usually approve. I'd say go for it, the worst they can do is deny you. The inquiries don't account for nearly as much as your utilization and total credit limit. The checking accounts shouldn't affect it at all unless they did a hard pull (most don't). Good luck!

simmias

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 03:45:32 PM »
I thought Wells Fargo was notoriously picky.  Do you have a mortgage or checking account with them?

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 05:48:22 PM »
No I don't have any accounts with them. Thanks for the info, I didn't realize Wells Fargo is so picky.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 05:50:19 PM »
They are picky and like a previous relationship. Wait a month and then apply for the WF $250 checking account.

DailyGrindFree

• Stubble
    • Daily Grind Free
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 06:11:21 PM »

BofA cc, $100 bonus
Barclays cc, $100 bonus

Was planning to apply for the AmEx Blue ($100 bonus) but now having second thoughts.

I opened up Wells Fargo checking account for my wife in February and just opened up one for myself little over a week ago. It is pretty easy and painless. You can do 10 small transactions or a direct deposit. Her direct deposit was money transfer from my Chase Total checking account. She got her $250 bonus two days after that transfer. I have her steps and timelines documented with pictures @ http://www.dailygrindfree.com/2017/03/06/received-250-for-opening-wells-fargo-everyday-checking-account/. Since you already have Chase Checking account is should be pretty easy to follow the same steps.

On the credit card side, I started in October 2016 and got 3 Chase credit cards (Sapphire Reserve, Southwest Premier & SouthWest Plus). My wife has Sapphire Reserve and Ink Preferred Business cards. We are planning on getting the Chase cards first then we will look into others. That is the plan for now. :-)

Jana

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 08:45:24 PM »
Chase has a 5 cards /in 24 month rule.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 11:24:47 PM »
If he doesn't pop into this thread soon (that guy is everywhere), you might want to PM Arebelspy for insight into Wells Fargo's practices and preference. Or post your question on his tradelines thread.

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 12:09:13 AM »

BofA cc, $100 bonus
Barclays cc, $100 bonus

You should have done some more research or at least asked some questions on here before you got into the cc churning game.  You wasted 5 slots on your 5/24 for the lowest $$$ sign on bonuses out there.

h82goslw

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 04:03:34 AM »
Duke.....I was thinking the same thing.  For all who are interested, check out the Travelmiles 101 course (found them through this website a couple of years ago).  Great course and I've taken multiple trips worth thousands of dollars for next to nothing.  There's lots of CCs out there that have crazy sign up bonuses.   

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 05:10:02 AM »
You should have done some more research or at least asked some questions on here before you got into the cc churning game.  You wasted 5 slots on your 5/24 for the lowest $$$ sign on bonuses out there.

Thanks but 1) I'm not planning any travel so I'm not interested in the travel points cards and 2) long term goal is to age these cards and get in to the trade lines game if it's still active in 2 years. These are the recommended cards.

But in my research (nerdwallet and other sites) I didn't find higher $$ bonuses, which cards do pay more??

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 05:23:36 AM »
And unfortunately now the 'denied' will sit on your credit report too.

That might be an even bigger problem.

I dipped my toe in the local credit card sign-up bonus market here in January. Still waiting for them to credit the bonus points... probably should follow it up soon.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 12:45:26 PM »
Travel Hacking has become more challenging as most banks have realized they need to be careful with what customers they end up with.

I've slowed down my hack game so I don't run into the too many applications game.  I've become very picky with what I sign up for.  I can't recall the last time I signed up for something that was only a $100 benefit.

$300 value is my absolute minimum, but even now I don't tend to apply for things that don't provide at least $500 of value.  My latest cards were $1200+ and $1000+ of value.  At this moment, I'm not earning any signup bonus which does annoy me, but I'm more interested in not missing a big haul because I settled for too many little ones.

Admittedly I watch my 5/24 rule now so I can cash in.  Chase does tend to have the best sign-ups.  I've yet to own a single Capitol One or Discover card because they never have anything worth the effort.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 12:48:12 PM »
i get 30 cards a year and probably 20 rejections.  just keep trying.

Mola

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 01:22:14 PM »
Its Wells Fargo...they probably already signed you up for a credit card.

exige

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 02:15:44 PM »
Its Wells Fargo...they probably already signed you up for a credit card.

You win

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 03:55:30 PM »
Travel Hacking has become more challenging as most banks have realized they need to be careful with what customers they end up with.

I've slowed down my hack game so I don't run into the too many applications game.  I've become very picky with what I sign up for.  I can't recall the last time I signed up for something that was only a $100 benefit.

$300 value is my absolute minimum, but even now I don't tend to apply for things that don't provide at least $500 of value.  My latest cards were $1200+ and $1000+ of value.  At this moment, I'm not earning any signup bonus which does annoy me, but I'm more interested in not missing a big haul because I settled for too many little ones.

Admittedly I watch my 5/24 rule now so I can cash in.  Chase does tend to have the best sign-ups.  I've yet to own a single Capitol One or Discover card because they never have anything worth the effort.

Well again I'm not planning to travel anytime soon so to me $100 cash is worth more than any amount of travel rewards.

missundecided

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 04:01:09 PM »
You don't have to use the travel rewards ONLY for travel. For example, the Chase Sapphire Reserve's bonus of 5000 points can be cashed out for $500. Unfortunately, that's a bad example for me to use because you've hit more than 5 cards in the past 24 months.

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 04:26:19 PM »
Here is just a sampling of recently or currently offered cards with cash or near cash equivalent (eg gift cards) values of much higher than the 100-150 bonuses you've been getting (some of these are from Incognito/Private Browsing mode):

AmEx Blue Cash Preferred
AmEx Blue Cash Everyday
AmEx Gold
AmEX Green
Bank of America/Merrill Lynch Edge +
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Chase Sapphire Preferred

Lesson is that you should ask us or go to r/churning or Doctor of Credit before you get into the game. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 04:28:28 PM by Luck12 »

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 05:07:40 PM »
And unfortunately now the 'denied' will sit on your credit report too.

That might be an even bigger problem.

I dipped my toe in the local credit card sign-up bonus market here in January. Still waiting for them to credit the bonus points... probably should follow it up soon.

There's no such thing as a "denied" on your credit report - it will just show he had a hard inquiry. That's it. No big deal. When I apply for new cards, I try to do two or three at once depending on the spend requirement. If all of the hard inquiries are within a few days of each other they have less impact. That said, have all of the applications filled out and hit submit nearly simultaneously for best odds of approval.

inline five

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 07:27:43 PM »
This is sad of me to say this but $150 isn't even worth my time to fill out an app and deal with the card juggling game.

Maybe $250. I guess. I just don't have the energy these days.

I think we will see more cash bonuses for depositing money in the future as interest rates go up.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2017, 10:02:29 PM »
This is sad of me to say this but $150 isn't even worth my time to fill out an app and deal with the card juggling game.

Maybe $250. I guess. I just don't have the energy these days.

I think we will see more cash bonuses for depositing money in the future as interest rates go up.

Yeah for people thats been CC hacking for a while, anything below $200 gets thrown in the trash. It has to be at least $300 to even peak my interest. If and when I ever exhaust all the high end CC, I start looking at these minimal ones.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2017, 10:18:56 PM »
It has to be at least $300 to even peak my interest.
A Grammar Nazi Zombie has invaded my body and assumed control against my will. Apparently they are very serious about getting their message across: It's pique, not peak. A peak is the top of a hill or mountain.

beastykato

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2017, 07:21:23 AM »
I disagree that the smaller bonuses aren't worth it.  Personally, I look at them as a percentage like my yearly stock market returns. 

If it's a $25 bonus for $100 spend that's a deal for me at a 25% return.  I don't know too many ways I can make $25 in 5 minutes of time filling out an online app.   Most people are lucky to even make anywhere near $25 an hour at their employer.

Revelry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2017, 08:08:35 AM »
I disagree that the smaller bonuses aren't worth it.  Personally, I look at them as a percentage like my yearly stock market returns. 

If it's a $25 bonus for $100 spend that's a deal for me at a 25% return.  I don't know too many ways I can make $25 in 5 minutes of time filling out an online app.   Most people are lucky to even make anywhere near $25 an hour at their employer.
But you can't open indefinite accounts.  The new account for $100 now may prevent you from getting the $500 one later. 

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 01:25:31 PM »
Agreed^^^

I thread rather lightly in this arena, but my threshold is $200 and I only do the ones that are recommended at the doctorofcredit blog - look under the list of current recommended bank bonus or credit card bonus and then read up on why it is or is not a good deal.

Along the way there are also posts referring to other sites and deals and I've often made a quick $25 and $50 that way by printing out a coupon or test driving a car for $25 or $50 a piece - easy money.

There are other banks too which allow you only five to seven different open bank accounts at a time for instance. Read some of the posts at the blog. I don't think you need to start worrying yet - maybe just up your game and read up a bit.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2017, 10:50:48 PM »
A Grammar Nazi Zombie has invaded my body and assumed control against my will. Apparently they are very serious about getting their message across: It's pique, not peak. A peak is the top of a hill or mountain.

I learned something new today :)

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2017, 10:53:36 PM »

Unfortunately, Chase 5/24 rule has made us think twice about applying for too many CC. Other CC companies might jump on the bandwagon. If I'm stuck getting only 5 CC every 2 years, you'd bet that I'm going to maximize it.

h82goslw

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2017, 05:15:38 AM »
Agreed^^^

I thread rather lightly in this arena, but my threshold is $200 and I only do the ones that are recommended at the doctorofcredit blog

Ok....since there's already been one Grammar Nazi hijack of this thread I'll do the second.  The correct phrase is "tread lightly" and not thread.  Happy card hunting.

The Money Monk

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2017, 01:59:08 AM »

But you can't open indefinite accounts.  The new account for $100 now may prevent you from getting the $500 one later.

technically true, but there really aren't THAT many cards with $300+ signup bonuses. I did pretty much all of them, then started doing pretty much any. I don't think I have done any that have less than $100 bonus though. But $100 of free money is a no-brainer to me.

Just a few months ago I got rejected for the first time, due to too many cards opened in the last 2 years (by Chase - I believe they are one of the stricter ones). Oh well. I have made over $4000 in credit card rewards in the couple years, so it was worth it. I now also have around 16 active cards with about $100k in accessible credit. So if I ever need to flee to a non-extradition country i can just max them all out lol.

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2017, 12:49:49 PM »
Keep in mind it's generally easy to sell your airline or hotel miles as well if you're just interested in cash. That opens up possibilities for a lot more cards that are $300+ for the signup bonus

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2017, 03:25:17 PM »
Agreed^^^

I thread rather lightly in this arena, but my threshold is $200 and I only do the ones that are recommended at the doctorofcredit blog

Ok....since there's already been one Grammar Nazi hijack of this thread I'll do the second.  The correct phrase is "tread lightly" and not thread.  Happy card hunting.

Drat, however did I miss that?:) Dang - I really need to pay more attention.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2017, 08:58:49 PM »

Well again I'm not planning to travel anytime soon so to me $100 cash is worth more than any amount of travel rewards.

Lots of "travel awards" can be turned into CASH. All the Chase cards can dump into cash. Example: Chase Sapphire Preferred. 50,000 points, which you can take as $500 CASH. Add an AU and you get an extra $50 CASH.

...and even with the cards you did get, it's not that uncommon to see $200 CASH back on $500 spend from BoA. You just have to keep you eyes open for the offers. Instead, you settled for $100 on $500.  In the past year, there have been $200/$500 on a variety of cobranded BoA cards. MLB, NBA, Teacher unions, etc.

Barclay also had a $200 on $500 offer (wife and I both did that one, same day as Arrival+ - and since I travel for work and get reimbursed, it was easy for me to turn the Arrival+ rewards back into cash. )
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 09:02:49 PM by TomTX »

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2017, 09:00:35 PM »

Perhaps his interest does peak with the $300 offer ;)

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2017, 10:06:49 PM »
Applied for Wells Fargo's card with $150 signup bonus.  I just got a rejection letter due to "Too many recently opened accounts".

Anyone else run into this?  How long will I need to wait before applying for new cards?

Yup. I've applied for the Amazon credit card three times, got rejected three times, called them to ask why, never got a clear answer. Even though I applied and received in the same time frame 5 premium cards.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2017, 10:12:31 AM »
I've been rejected in my last several cards so I'm taking a break as well. I did maybe a half dozen or so and then got the same "too many closed accounts" or whatever. I don't bother unless the rewards are $400 plus typically, my fico is 800+, income 150+, and have one smaller loan in my name.

I have cancelled all my cards except my regular use one (Barclay) so as not to get hit with their yearly fees. It has been a few months since I applied, though I did just close two last month. Maybe I'll try again as I have some traveling coming up.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2017, 05:45:31 PM »
I've been rejected in my last several cards so I'm taking a break as well. I did maybe a half dozen or so and then got the same "too many closed accounts" or whatever. I don't bother unless the rewards are $400 plus typically, my fico is 800+, income 150+, and have one smaller loan in my name.

I have cancelled all my cards except my regular use one (Barclay) so as not to get hit with their yearly fees. It has been a few months since I applied, though I did just close two last month. Maybe I'll try again as I have some traveling coming up.

Instead of closing the cards, many banks will let you downgrade to a no-fee version. Or will give you an incentive to keep the card.

Going down to a single card seems quite foolhardy to me.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2017, 06:45:01 PM »

Instead of closing the cards, many banks will let you downgrade to a no-fee version. Or will give you an incentive to keep the card.

[/quote]

I don't know in the US, but in Canada, some banks start charging a small fee or will simply cancel the card after some period of inactivity. It happened to three of the cards I had kept with Scotiabank, RBC and MBNA just in case after downgrading from premium to no-fee.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2017, 07:24:38 PM »

[quote ]

I don't know in the US, but in Canada, some banks start charging a small fee or will simply cancel the card after some period of inactivity. It happened to three of the cards I had kept with Scotiabank, RBC and MBNA just in case after downgrading from premium to no-fee.
[/quote]

Putting occasional charges on idle cards is a good idea in the USA as well, just to make sure they are considered active. Take them out of the sock drawer once every 6 months and use them for routine spend.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2017, 08:20:10 PM »
Hey, slightly off topic, but I created a Wells Fargo checking, deposited $25, which left my (other) bank account on 3/24 but does not show up as pending or anything at Wells Fargo online. Was that your experience? Am I just being impatient?

TheMoneyWizard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Money Wizard - Demystifying the Magic of Financial Freedom
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2017, 11:19:27 AM »
Have you tried calling the Wells Fargo reconsideration phone number?

Initial denials are usually just due to the automatic algorithm the credit card companies use, but banks are legally required to reconsider applications if you present them with additional information. From what I've seen, this usually just involves a phone call and thinking up a reason why you need yet another credit card, and the humans on the other end might be a little more compassionate than the scoring model.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2017, 11:45:46 AM »
Hey, slightly off topic, but I created a Wells Fargo checking, deposited $25, which left my (other) bank account on 3/24 but does not show up as pending or anything at Wells Fargo online. Was that your experience? Am I just being impatient?

This morning; still wasn't there. After I emailed support... they said it would show up the 29th... but it showed up in my account just then.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2017, 12:20:43 PM »
I opened up Wells Fargo checking account for my wife in February and just opened up one for myself...

After you got the bonus, can you transfer the money out and promptly close the account?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2017, 03:27:30 PM »
I opened up Wells Fargo checking account for my wife in February and just opened up one for myself...

After you got the bonus, can you transfer the money out and promptly close the account?

Yes. The  general advice is to not make it so obvious, though.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2017, 12:39:03 PM »

Yes. The  general advice is to not make it so obvious, though.

Yeah, you don't want to piss them off by leaving as soon as you get the bonus.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2017, 10:33:30 AM »
For the "bank transfer" that appeared as a direct deposit, did you have to "push" the money from your bank, or just do a transfer in via Wells Fargo online?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2017, 10:46:17 AM »
For the "bank transfer" that appeared as a direct deposit, did you have to "push" the money from your bank, or just do a transfer in via Wells Fargo online?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCadcBR95oU

A bank may not always work. If you don't get your bonus within a few days, try a push from Vanguard.

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2017, 09:01:24 AM »

Check out the list of what works for each bank here http://www.doctorofcredit.com/knowledge-base/list-methods-banks-count-direct-deposits/

Add to it if you can as the more data points people add, the better.