Author Topic: I don't think I can stand the rain anymore, it's rained here for almost 6 months  (Read 19659 times)

pudding

• Bristles
I'm at that time of year again where I can feel the spring coming on. Plants are starting to grow, I'm starting to wake up and feel more optimistic.

I've seen how it goes for enough years now to know the pattern for me here in this part of the world.

I'll start it in September, thats when it's great and the end of summer/  fall weather, cooling down after a hot summer and the leaves starting to turn.

October is the same thing, maybe a bit cool and feels good to put some warmer clothes on and a bit cosy at night.

November it starts to piss down with rain and the f'ing clocks are swivelled around / changed so the farmers can drive their horse and carts more safely in the mornings or something.
It almost instantly sucks for me right around the second week of November... I can't outside anymore without big coats on, it's dark at 4.30pm  and it's like who the f@@@ turned the lights off, and knowing that its going to be like that for 5 more months.

My mood bombs, and really quite quickly, by end of November I'm just thinking wtf.... grumble grumble fakk fakk fakkk, 5 more months of this..
And I think about going on holiday and then realise that it would take some organising and don't seem motivated enough to do it.

December is crap, I know some people like Christmas, but honestly I hate that time of year. Many of my family died and tragically, the ones still around don't speak half the time, often nothing, and I mean Nothing! special happens at all, and I'll be sat on my own watching tv.  All the 'jolly jolly' music and its a wonderful time of the year and emphasis on family + the blue mood I'm already feeling is just too much.
So I endure December, and by the end of it I am done! with winter.... but still at least 2 months of it left. I'm usually too depressed and lethargic by this time to ever get my sh1$ together to go away on a trip. Also I've noticed even if I do go on a trip I'm so down in the dumps that I just take it with me, sure a bit of sun for a week helps but by that time it's not a cure all.

January, now I'm just whining, sat around F@@@ this and F@@@ that and your an ass and he's an ass and oh my god when will it stop raining and snowing. Cabin fever setting in and maybe get the flu and for fux sake.

February is more of the same. Almost nothing noteworthy happens in February.

March I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, first signs of spring around the corner. The clocks are swivelled around again so the farmers can see where they're going at night kind of thing. 

I've noticed in March that often it's when I've got it together to go travelling in the past... seems strange to leave it till March but I think thats when this winter low energy starts to lift.

So second half of March I start to get energy again, I can go outside and fix this and that and work a bit later. Feeling like my old self, optimistic, can do this can get things done.  Like a weight off my shoulders.

April, might even get a bit of a spring mania going on, I've noticed it before, get a bit speedy and maybe start to overdo things a bit, urge to spring clean and thrown that winter sh@t in the garbage bin.

May is good, my work is somewhat seasonal and I like to get into the swing of it. Ride my bike, lose that winter pudding... life is OK

June is nice, longest day, ride my bike, look at the pretty ladies, life is good.

July, lots to do in this city and weather is great, sunny, light till late, my kind of weather...

August, same as July! life is good. Sometimes even a bit of rain is welcome!

Then we'er back to September again and have until early November before the 5 month long sh@t season starts again.

So my year is like 3 seasons really.

Season one     Theres the bit thats September and October that bit is fall and I like that one. It's cooling down but that OK after a long summer.

Season two Then like I say there's the sh@t season with the clock change and dark at night, the grey clouds and rain, flu season, jolly jolly sh1tmas, boring January, super boring February.

Season 3  Is the bit between Mid March to early /mid September.... thats the good time, the productive time, when I can be outside and things to see and weather is reasonable and it's light enough at night and evenings to be able to be outside amongst people.

Season 1 and 3 I like, but season 2 the rainy cloudy, dark cold snowy, Sh@tmas season you can keep!     Thats the one I have to find a way to tame...

I'm not sure of the best way to do it.. I have lots of ideas but I'm not sure how practical they really are. I sort of like my life here, its just the winter season I can't stand... to go away travelling for that season really isn't that appealing to me.

I have my life set up pretty nice here, nice house, nice part of the world, things mostly just as I like them nowadays... I like my self employed handyman work, I'm fortunate that I can schedule just enough of it for it to actually be enjoyable and not a grind, my gym at home and things to occupy me like my workshop and guitars, friends etc.. 

To use an analogy it would be as if you had your nice house and good life but for some reason the electricity company only had enough power for 8 months of the year, so they shut it off November to Feb...   

Sure you could go away and travel for those months but what a drag to have to do that. It might be that you like to travel sometimes, but then there's the times when you'd have things going on and not want or easily be able to.

To me it's a bit like that, I could travel but I don't really want to, I've done a lot of it and not itching to get away.  I'm in Vancouver Canada so this is about as mild as it gets here without moving to a different country.

I could go snowbird down to the southern states for a few months... that one is a bit more appealing particularly the idea of having an RV and then being able to take your 'house' and familiar things with you...

Or buy a condo and maybe go to stay in it for a few months a year and rent it out on air bnb for the other months??   Something familiar thats a home away from home, rather than in a hotel in a distant country kind of thing... 

Anyway that my Friday March ramble   ;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 12:28:06 PM by pudding »

TreesBikesLove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
It sounds like you need more social interaction and physical stimulation. Join a Team Sport like indoor Soccer or hockey during the Winters and it might go a long way toward raising your mood. Endorphins and camaraderie are like natural drugs for our primal lizard-brain.

pudding

• Bristles
It sounds like you need more social interaction and physical stimulation. Join a Team Sport like indoor Soccer or hockey during the Winters and it might go a long way toward raising your mood. Endorphins and camaraderie are like natural drugs for our primal lizard-brain.

Thanks shaybro.... it helps for sure.  Not enough for me to feel all OK about things though.  A girlfriend would go a long way towards easing the lonely feelings... sometimes easier said than done though the older you get.

I think I just have this winter lethargy/sleepy/ low mood thing thats seasonal affected depression.  It's a drag.

pudding

• Bristles
Have you considered a light box?   DH wants to get one for our family.

Short trips to places with more sun (even if just in the drier mountain parts of BC) might help you make it through the worst parts of the winter -- I find my mood lifts considerably even with just a few hours of real sun in the winter (when that happens it really is gloriously beautiful in this part of the world....).

Do you like movies or books?   I'm thinking of working through lists of the 100 all time best films/books as a way to have something to look forward too when the weather is crap.

And even though it kind of sucks to walk in the rain, now that we've been doing it for a few weeks I find that keeping moving DOES help with my mood quite a bit, even if the weather isnt amenable.   Planning to invest in some good quality waterproof rain gear to make the damp factor less of an issue.

Hi lhamo, I have a light box and it think it helps a bit, not a cure all but maybe helps a bit. But the boredom etc....    not so much

Today was OK, at this time of year I start to wake up, even though today I had to go to the drywall dump and got a flat tire on my trailer while there, then found a tire shop a block and thankfully they fixed it up... got soaked though! Just drenched.

pudding

• Bristles
Pissing it down outside  ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdWvkQdFTfM

I can't speak German but I'm sure they're singing about it raining since end of September :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3q8Od5qJio

« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 10:33:18 PM by pudding »

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
Ugh, I feel the same exact way! I travelled in January and now I feel like I need to get away from all the rain.

Too. Much. Rain. Make. It. Go. Away.

pudding

• Bristles
I think I'm OK now.. the sun is out and blue sky for the first time in a long time and I have to say it feels good and it has been way, way to long since it was here before.

Next winter I'm doing stuff, maybe trip down to Arizona, or diving in Mexico. I'm not sitting on my ass like I did this year.  If I'm on here next winter complaining and haven't gone on a trip, please come and face punch me!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
I don't get it.  What exactly do you want to do outside that rain is preventing you from doing?  Get some good water resistant clothing, some clothing that dries quickly, and get out there and do it!  You won't melt.

pudding

• Bristles
I don't get it.  What exactly do you want to do outside that rain is preventing you from doing?  Get some good water resistant clothing, some clothing that dries quickly, and get out there and do it!  You won't melt.

Hmmm let me think????   Going to wreck beach? Always a lot more fun when it's not raining.. I know about rain gear as I've worked in construction for close to 40 years... trust me I know about rain gear.

http://www.wreckbeach.org/
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 11:03:07 PM by pudding »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
My parent's neighbors are snowbirds to Phoenix in the winter.  One year, they bought an outdoor light sensor, to turn on / off the porch lights in Vancouver while they were away.  The light stayed on for 2.5 months straight, then burned out or something.

For Pudding...  I moved to vancouver from very very sunny winnipeg.   I thought I would love warm winters, but the first two years were horrible for me.   Then, the second year, I noticed that flowers were coming up by the END OF FEBRUARY.  (Winnipeg's flowers are closer to Victoria Day... Tulips are up start of May).

Whoot!   That saved it for me.  I can get through November, December and January for the FEBRUARY flowers.

Today (afternoon) was brilliant.   Kind of a "buy new shoes then clean out your closet" type of day for me.

pudding

• Bristles
My parent's neighbors are snowbirds to Phoenix in the winter.  One year, they bought an outdoor light sensor, to turn on / off the porch lights in Vancouver while they were away.  The light stayed on for 2.5 months straight, then burned out or something.

For Pudding...  I moved to vancouver from very very sunny winnipeg.   I thought I would love warm winters, but the first two years were horrible for me.   Then, the second year, I noticed that flowers were coming up by the END OF FEBRUARY.  (Winnipeg's flowers are closer to Victoria Day... Tulips are up start of May).

Whoot!   That saved it for me.  I can get through November, December and January for the FEBRUARY flowers.

Today (afternoon) was brilliant.   Kind of a "buy new shoes then clean out your closet" type of day for me.

Yes, I thought this afternoon was brilliant too!  I'm good from now on until November, I think maybe I'll join my sister in December, she's going to India. I've never been there.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian

Hmmm let me think????   Going to wreck beach? Always a lot more fun when it's not raining.. I know about rain gear as I've worked in construction for close to 50 years... trust me I know about rain gear.

YMMV, but I've had deeply satisfying times at the beach while it's pissing down rain.  They tend to be a lot less crowded so you get to see more of the natural world, you can still run/boat/cycle, watching the waves from some shelter (particularly if you've packed a thermos of hot beverage) is much more fun, throwing sticks for your dog is just as fun (requires extra towels back in the car though).

It's not good if you're near death, immobile, and looking for a place to let your nearly naked carcass decay in sun for a few hours . . . but if that's your key prerequisite to enjoyment, maybe adjust the ole expectations a bit?

pudding

• Bristles

Hmmm let me think????   Going to wreck beach? Always a lot more fun when it's not raining.. I know about rain gear as I've worked in construction for close to 50 years... trust me I know about rain gear.

YMMV, but I've had deeply satisfying times at the beach while it's pissing down rain.  They tend to be a lot less crowded so you get to see more of the natural world, you can still run/boat/cycle, watching the waves from some shelter (particularly if you've packed a thermos of hot beverage) is much more fun, throwing sticks for your dog is just as fun (requires extra towels back in the car though).

It's not good if you're near death, immobile, and looking for a place to let your nearly naked carcass decay in sun for a few hours . . . but if that's your key prerequisite to enjoyment, maybe adjust the ole expectations a bit?

thanks for your advice i'll try to do better.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Come to Florida. Your worst months are our best months.

pudding

• Bristles
Come to Florida. Your worst months are our best months.

Thanks sounds like a good idea!

Moustachienne

• Bristles
Lifetime PNWer here and this winter has been brutal.  Colder, longer, rainier, snowier, foggier, darker, greyer - all the elements ramped up to 11. The sun and blue sky this weekend are almost disorienting!

This thread has been fun - and true. :) It reminds me of the classic song Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh, right down to the turning point when it finally stops raining.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hello_Muddah,_Hello_Fadduh_(A_Letter_from_Camp)

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
So what you guys are saying is that I shouldn't be holed up here with blinds closed and AC blasting in this 75° heat down here in Southern Californing? I kid, I kid. I have to study today, that's my excuse hehe.

pudding

• Bristles
Lifetime PNWer here and this winter has been brutal.  Colder, longer, rainier, snowier, foggier, darker, greyer - all the elements ramped up to 11. The sun and blue sky this weekend are almost disorienting!

This thread has been fun - and true. :) It reminds me of the classic song Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh, right down to the turning point when it finally stops raining.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hello_Muddah,_Hello_Fadduh_(A_Letter_from_Camp)

I think this short video clip explains it all ;)  PNW in a nutshell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-ppr9LDaQE

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
Sequim, WA

We stayed there in our RV for all of February and had about 20 days of sunshine during the month.

Rain shadow baby!

pdxbator

• Stubble
I'm here in Portland and I feel your pain. Today was finally a sunny day, but this winter has been really the worst in many years. I've thought many times over that I need to move. My husband is from here and Portland is a nice city and we own a house and on and on. Being from Colorado though I miss the sky!

Definitely when I retire I will put my foot down. I will need at least 2 or 3 months away from the gray and rain.

pudding

• Bristles
Still raining here. Forecast as of today (march 22nd) is for 8 more days of rain. 

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=weather+vancouver&*

It was sunny on Sunday or was it Monday? And what a lovely day, what a treat.....    I can't do this every year, it's just a big downer to me. If you're one the people who like the rain I'm happy for you, but myself I've had enough of it.

I've got to make a plan get the f out of here in winter.

Anyone seen that goth movie 'the crow' where nearly every scene is dark, moody and gloomy?  Starting to feel like I got a part in that movie ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTw3GCCeH4Q

Pudding?? is that you??

olu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Sleep Deprived in Seattle
I hear you, we've had an especially hard winter in Seattle this year. I don't know if I could move somewhere that's sunny all the time, how do you guys handle the fact that there are no seasons? Doesn't that feel strange?

Landlady

• Stubble
Where is spring this year?! I'm in central Washington and we're supposed to have sun 202 days out of the year and I haven't seen a string of sunny days in months. At this point it feels good to vent.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
We rode over to Moses Lake, WA which is supposed to have like 330 days a year of sunshine.

Raining :-)

Spicolli

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
The wife and I have thought seriously about moving from SoCal to PNW in retirement...threads like this make me want to reconsider. The ideal, if we can manage it, would be to have a place in both locations and spend summers up north and winters down south. 

pudding

• Bristles
The wife and I have thought seriously about moving from SoCal to PNW in retirement...threads like this make me want to reconsider. The ideal, if we can manage it, would be to have a place in both locations and spend summers up north and winters down south.

That sounds great. It's what I'm thinking to do myself, head down to the sun for a couple of months a year.

I like seasons, I think if it was hot all the time I wouldn't like it.  Its just the length of the rainy/dark and can't do much outside season that I don't like.

Here in Vancouver it starts early November and usually ends early March.  So four months....   Ideally I'd do about a month of winter, and thats all.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
Cloudy days get to me far worse than a string of subzero F days.

When we moved from the PNW to the Midwest, my son would start crying every time we went outside, "Turn off the sun, it's too bright!"

This time of year, when the weather is teasing us with one beautiful warm day every two weeks, the rainy days start to aggravate me - I was noticing this today after work - big fat springtime raindrops plopping on the sidewalk, with that wet cement smell just starting, and I was thinking that if it were only 20 degrees warmer I'd be truly enjoying it all. As it was I just wanted my face to stay dry until I got back inside.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Oh, dear God, it's rating here again today...

Happily, I'm still lazing in my bathrobe. Anything I chose to do out of the house today is completely optional. FIRE is good, but it doesn't stop the rain. Sure is nice not to care too much.

ETA: Fucking, fucking autocorrect. It's raining, damn it, not rating, FFS. Raining, raining, raining. Will it never end?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 08:40:12 AM by Dicey »

Landlady

• Stubble
Yesterday was gorgeous! Today? Today?! Today! It's snowing AND raining.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
Come to New England, where the weather never stops changing!

Seriously, you just never know what you are going to get, and the forecasters are often wrong.  It can swing 40 degrees from day to day.  This February, we had a 70F degree day and then in March we had a Blizzard.  I honestly have grown to love it, because just when you are getting sick of the weather, it changes into something else.  About once every 5 years or so, you get a really bad, bad winter though. 

Winter:  Varies from mild to severe.  This winter was an odd mix of both, as stated above.  Last winter it rarely dipped below 35F it seemed and we had many 40-50F days.  The winter before that was endless snowstorms to the point where my work shut down 4 days in a month, public transit was at a standstill, and everyone had a leaky roof.  It was truly horrible, and I had a friend who moved because of that winter.

Spring - cold and raw, but late spring is fabulous.  It does seem to take forever to warm up, but May in particular is amazing. 

Summer - Humid and warm, but not broiling.  Usually in the mid 80s with some weeks in the 90s.

Fall - my favorite season here - lovely temperature, crisp air.  Fall in New England truly is special. 

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
Well, it's a downpour as usual, but we got REALLY lucky and the Power Rangers movie is going to be showing at the theater 3 blocks away (that usually only shows random foreign films and cartoons). Usually we have to trek right across downtown to see movies, and that would NOT happen tonight.

pudding

• Bristles
Today I bought an outdoor firepit, the type you put on your deck. So I set it up on the deck and sat out in a chair under the porch and watched it rain.

Was quite good, enjoyed it. Still waiting for the sun though.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Well, it's a downpour as usual, but we got REALLY lucky and the Power Rangers movie is going to be showing at the theater 3 blocks away

"Luck". . . you're going to see a Power Rangers movie.  :P

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
I am so with this thread! I moved to the Seattle area from sunny Lake Tahoe. No F'in reason I can think of, something about wanting to live up to my potential or some such bullshit. Should have stayed a snowboard bum. This winter SUUUUUUUUCKED. Enough that my wife, who loves the rain, actually didn't tell me to STFU when I whined about moving back to the mountains.

It was a good powder year at the ski resorts which is nice, and I am outside as much as possible between snowboarding, biking to work, mountain biking weekends, gym on the beach cruiser even in the rain, offroading below snow level and lighting fires in the drizzle, etc. I'm outside a metric shit-ton and that keeps me from jumping off a building but the idea that it's awesome to live here? Ugh!

Meanwhile the sun came out today and I'm like, "It's so awesome! Everything is green, birds are chirping, take the kids to school on bikes, drink beer in the hammock on the deck, yeah!" Jekyll and Hyde here. I really do love the spring and summers before the gloom sets in. But I'm seriously bummed out by the fall and winter.

Debonair

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • DebonairDylan
Honestly, the snow was part of the reason I left New York. I was sick of the bloody snow and cold. I was so gun ho to move to Georgia or Texas and instead ended up in Taiwan. Now I get to deal with rain every day :(

Maybe I will make it to Texas or the US South next time. (watch me end up in Japan, or the Middle East)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
I also can't stand the snow anymore. Today I had to drive to work through 20cm of snow, with 30km/h (20mph). It is time to become spring now!

NeonPegasus

• Bristles
    • Neon Pegasus
You poor people. I couldn't do it. I'd die. GA is bad enough in the winter - rarely very cold or snowy or even terribly rainy but long stretches of gray, gray, gray skies and dead yellow grass. But thankfully it's short. Fall color peaks in early Thanksgiving and by the time the excitement of the holidays wears off on early Jan, you only have 2 months to go until daffodils begin poking out. March is always interesting - will it be 80? will we get a blizzard that paralyzes us for 2 weeks? April comes in a Renoir-esque wash of color and flowers. Then everything turns yellow for two weeks. And then it's summer from May - September.

I love summer. I love heat. I am fine going for a run when it's 90 degrees and 100% humidity, though preferably not in direct sunlight (that's a bit much). We go out on the lake every weekend. If we could eradicate mosquitoes, I'd be in heaven.

I will say that July in the Colorado mountains is pretty awesome (no humidity or mosquitos) but it really aggravates me trying to figure out how to dress. In GA, from May on you wear summer clothes and carry a sweater to wear in restaurants. In CO, you constantly have to add/shed layers to deal with the changing weather. So much work!

orangepalm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugalcrib
I can 100% relate. This has to be such a personal (genetic?) issue. Many people are perfectly happy living in a (what I would call) shitty climate. Me? not so much. My wife and I grew up in a place with long, rainy winters. From Sept through April the sun rarely comes out. As a kid I never cared much, but as the years passed I could clearly recognize that the summer "me" and winter "me" were quite different. Same for my wife to an ever bigger extreme. There's only so much a light box can help!

Fast forward and we moved to Florida (a very deliberate decision), and it's amazing. I'll take the humidity and heat over dreary weather ANY day of the week. Hell, I don't even mind it anymore. You simply adjust (do physical activities in the morning). We might not stay put right here forever, but we're never going way back north, that's for sure.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
MAKE. THE. RAIN. STOP.

Nearly every day since early February.   Yeah, sun might shine for 1/2 the day, but so much rain!!
Forecast is rain for the next 7 out of 8 days.

From climate.weather.gc.ca:  Vancouver

April - only 6 days without rain so far.. last year, at this time, 16 days were dry.
March - 2 days without rain (or trace) and there was SNOW FALL
February - 7 days without rain, 13 days with snow on the ground.
January - 18 days without rain or snowfall, but 12 of those days had SNOW on the ground.
December - 11 days without precipitation, most days with snow on the ground.
November - 2 days without rain or snow (typical November)
October - 3 days without rain
September - 16 days without rain
etc.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 11:31:53 AM by Goldielocks »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
I can 100% relate. This has to be such a personal (genetic?) issue. Many people are perfectly happy living in a (what I would call) shitty climate. Me? not so much. My wife and I grew up in a place with long, rainy winters. From Sept through April the sun rarely comes out. As a kid I never cared much, but as the years passed I could clearly recognize that the summer "me" and winter "me" were quite different. Same for my wife to an ever bigger extreme. There's only so much a light box can help!

Fast forward and we moved to Florida (a very deliberate decision), and it's amazing. I'll take the humidity and heat over dreary weather ANY day of the week. Hell, I don't even mind it anymore. You simply adjust (do physical activities in the morning). We might not stay put right here forever, but we're never going way back north, that's for sure.

So different people can be... :-). I can't stand humidity, although a nice warm temperature is preferred over cold.
I don't really mind winter as long as there are good skiing circumstances. This winter however, has been hopeless for skiing. And now, as the spring should have been here and everyone has put sommer tires on their cars, there is a pack of wet snow.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.

+1000

I'm moving to FL next year. Like you, I'll take the humidity, heat AND SUNLIGHT. I just cannot take the lack of sunlight in winter.