Author Topic: I cannot pull the trigger and quit. ? ?? Am I the only one?  (Read 11731 times)

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
     We are FI by any measure. High net worth, reasonable costs to maintain our life style. High savings rate. Diversified in stocks and real estate at an almost even mix. However, we have great jobs that provide a huge amount of cash and benefits. Say 290k combined regular and tax differed combined income not counting insurance. I have an inexplicable  need to keep my job. WTF is wrong with us? Yes I have  fears for the future but Jesus H, we are fricken rich and very, very lucky.   My work is actually useful to the world as I am currently working on vaccines for respiratory infections in elderly adults (a lethal disease for millions of folks a year)  and it pays very well. I LOVE the folks I work with and have a giant amount of freedom at work.  However, if we got fired tomorrow we would fine forever with minor adjustments.  Am I the only one?

human

• Pencil Stache
Re: I cannot pull the trigger and quit. ? ?? Am I the only one?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 08:55:56 PM »
What exactly is the problem? If you want to work then continue working. 

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 08:57:25 PM »
You can keep working if you want. If you are FI and do not want to quit because you enjoy your job there is nothing wrong with that.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 09:02:55 PM »
Lots of people want to FIRE so they could do the kind of work you do for pay.  If you love your work and it's more than a job, then keep working.  Your work has purpose.  Millions of older adults will live longer lives because of what you are doing.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 09:03:06 PM »
If you enjoy your job, why do you HAVE to quit?

Quitting is for those of us that were miserable or felt like there were better things to be doing with our time... you're not in that position, so there is no problem with staying on since you are contented, challenged and enjoy your coworkers and job.

So there is no problem with working unless you make it a problem, which is what this sounds like?

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 09:07:37 PM »
  Not sure, I just think that I am wasting limited time on earth as in Your Money or Your Life, at work. However, vaccine is going into phase 2 trials after very good phase 1 results. I am not sure if I am missing out by not retiring or if I will miss out on fun/success/connections at work.

Felicity

• Stubble
  • ruff!
    • Fetching Financial Freedom
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 09:18:03 PM »
+1 to the sentiments others expressed about not having to retire if you love your job.

...it sounds like there's something more under the surface, though? Maybe you feel like you want something more and are not 100% sure what that is?

Definitely not alone.

You might enjoy reading http://livingafi.com/, particularly "The Quit Series" under post collections. He struggled a lot with pulling the trigger, but he's now retired and loving life. http://www.madfientist.com/an-unexpected-guest-post/ this post from the Mad FIentist's wife might also resonate. She used to not be on board with early retirement but had a gradual change of heart.

Not sure, I just think that I am wasting limited time on earth as in Your Money or Your Life, at work. However, vaccine is going into phase 2 trials after very good phase 1 results. I am not sure if I am missing out by not retiring or if I will miss out on fun/success/connections at work.

Any way to do a trial run on retirement? Take a sabbatical? Go part time?

"One More Year Syndrome" is treatable: http://www.financialsamurai.com/overcoming-the-one-more-year-syndrome/

tobitonic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 09:23:18 PM »
The obsession with opportunity costs on this forum is one of the clearest signs of neurosis I come across here. How miserable must it be to feel like you're "wasting your life" just because you enjoy your job!

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 09:36:30 PM »
Working because you want to, and working because you have to, are different.

Knowing that you can deal with any absurd BS by quitting is a great way to tolerate corporate BS. :)

SaskyStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 10:51:14 PM »
My work is actually useful to the world as I am currently working on vaccines for respiratory infections in elderly adults (a lethal disease for millions of folks a year)  and it pays very well. I LOVE the folks I work with and have a giant amount of freedom at work.

I don't think this site's mentality was ever about not working, but instead about having freedom to do what you want and feel is important. It sounds like you're already doing that, so by all means continue until you feel a need not to.

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 10:55:13 PM »
  Very true on the corporate BS part, since I do not really need to work, work is a hell of alot of fun. What is funny is, after I kind of said F it at work and just did what was really important, and gave zero F's about the other petty stuff, I got promoted to where I am at a shockingly high level (second highest that exists at the site where I work) and got a great raise so go figure. Peter in Office Space is my hero. :) What is even funnier is during a great big reorganization, (read layoffs and cost cutting),  I was pretty much left out of the whole thing as I was designated as having a unique skill set and given LTE's. This even after I told my boss that I did not need a raise and that he could give my portion of the raise pool to other team members. Seriously?  Not miserable as have made a decision to be happy. However, the opportunity cost quandary is very real for me.   I am sure that there are others that feel the same way. I kind of have made a problem where none exists, that is for sure but it is a bit of a reasonable question to ponder.  I will check out the links Felicity. Thanks!

Runrooster

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 11:27:24 PM »
I think it's great that you feel your job is meaningful, but is it challenging?  I mean a Starbucks barista probably feels like her work provides genuine value but would have no problem quitting the boredom and low pay.  One thing to keep in mind is that you are replaceable, and if you leave someone else will research the same vaccines.  So keeping a job you don't need is depriving someone else of income?  That's a stretch, but I know some people who get addicted to the status of a high paying job.  My brother is the lower wage earner in a couple with your level, and I think they could afford for him to quit and stay home to cook, clean, drive the kids, organize the household and otherwise take mundane tasks off the shoulders of his wife.  But I think he sees these tasks as beneath his pay grade.

Granted that I don't know much about your job, but my (very intellectual) ones were things I could do "in my sleep".  I mean, that's why I was paid to do them, right?  So real challenge came from my hobbies.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 01:14:05 AM »
The obsession with opportunity costs on this forum is one of the clearest signs of neurosis I come across here. How miserable must it be to feel like you're "wasting your life" just because you enjoy your job!
1) I'd characterize it as awareness of, not obsession with.

2) A very common lament at the end of life is "I should have worked less and enjoyed life more." It's awesome that Blindsquirrel is asking these questions now and not blindly following a path that leads to regret. Nope, not miserable at all.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2016, 04:34:06 AM »
I second the option of a trial run.  Take a month off and do what you think you'd be doing if you quit.  See how you like doing that compared to your job.

SeanMC

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2016, 07:17:52 AM »
If you love what you do and are doing meaningful work, then I agree it makes no sense to leave.

I second the idea of taking longer chunks of time off (leave or sabbatical), if possible, but not as a test for quitting. I would simply think of the things you'd like to do if retired and then take time off to do those things. You will likely find that you still enjoy your work and find meaning in it AND have time/space for other pursuits. If you discover you prefer not working time over working, it would be easier to quit. However, I suspect you won't - or you'll realize a diminishing return on your free/non-working time and find a balance that makes the opportunity cost "wondering" subside.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2016, 08:37:39 AM »
Have you thought about going part time to a 3 day work week?

Or you could work for free. One man in my office works one day a week. He doesn't need the money, but he likes to stay involved and connected to his coworkers, so he does it for free. And when there's nothing interesting to do, he doesn't come to the office. Maybe you could do that? Suggest to the company they can hire 2 (or 3, depending on what you make) freshly graduated talents and you can mentor them. You'll stay involved and challenged whilst ensuring the future of your field. Nothing quite as fulfilling as that!

aschmidt2930

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2016, 09:38:34 AM »
Sounds like you have a great situation, if you love it, keep doing it.

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2016, 09:46:25 AM »
Waht a great "problem" to have OP. 

Seriously, you are in a position to determine what to do with your time-money situation.

I have previously been on a 70% of full time schedule - alternating 3 and 4 day work weeks with the same for weekends.  I am currently at full time, earning full pay on my final push.  By some measures I am already FI but I want a bit more cushion for uncertainty, hence going back to full time.

When the time comes I think I will put in for a straight part time schedule - 3 days a week of 7, 7, and 6 hours with a 4 day weekend every week.  This will allow me to mentally "taper" into early retirement and also provide for an orderly hand off at work when I finally hang it up totally - they'll get months of lead time to find my replacement, and I'll be happy training them.

If for some reason you can't seem to walk away, one alternative is to become a modest man (or woman) of charity.  Find a cause or non profit where 50-100k will make a large difference.  A 1-3 million a year charity would love to have a donor like that.  Note that I'm involved in a ~3 mil a year charity as a volunteer (and also donate via employer time match and out of pocket) high 4 figures.  I'm far enough up the donor list and a big enough volunteer to get a bit of time with those running the charity.  The insight indicates to me that it's those 25k to 100k donors that really make the difference in a charity of this size.  Yeah, you can have 5,000 members chipping in their $25 / year dues, but it's the 5 people chipping in 25k to 100k each who really pay for the meat of the charity program.  The same idea holds on the volunteer side of a charity.  500 people each giving one day is excellent - 4,000 hours of volunteer time.  But its the 10-20 people who are dedicated and give 100-500 hours a year each, who are the organizers and project leaders that enable the 500 to have a project to show up for.

Note - I bet you can see where I'll be and what I'll be doing when I finally hang up "paid" work.

[Edit to elaborate a bit]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 10:28:08 AM by No Name Guy »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2016, 11:17:54 AM »
University professors tend to work forever, because they love what they are doing.  Most are relatively frugal, and could retire, but why bother? You seem to be in much the same situation.  As someone in their 60s, I appreciate vaccines that keep me healthy, so please keep going.

Obviously other factors come into play (especially family circumstances), but when we look at the happy ER stories here, it is people escaping jobs that were killing them.  Having FI is totally different, it means approaching life from a position of financial strength, not desperation.

You are a SWAMI (Satisfied Working Advanced Mustachian Individual).

Bertram

• Bristles
  • I'm not a chef
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2016, 01:49:39 PM »
I have an inexplicable  need to keep my job. WTF is wrong with us?
Am I the only one?

No, you're not the only one. There's a lot of talk about people not liking the RE part of FIRE, or arguing about what is or is not RE, what is or is not working. Best thing to do stop thinking about decisions in these categories. The important thing is whether you are happy or not.

If you are safe money wise, then take the financials out of the equation and look at what it is you want to do and how you want to spend your days. If you're already doing that fine, if there's some things missing, see what you can change to do more of what you like and do a little less of what you like least. It's not rocket science...

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2016, 04:55:18 PM »
I LOVE the folks I work with and have a giant amount of freedom at work....

I wouldn't quit if I were you.  Given your descriptions, it seems that your job provides a strong sense of purpose and identity, and is fairly interesting to boot. 

You are free to quit if you want, of course.  Your earnings and spending patterns have given you that right.  But I don't hear a single thing that you want to do instead of working. 

I quit work about a year ago and I love my life.  I've learned to slow things down and relax.   I have zero regrets and will never go back.  But I have a very different story from you. I couldn't seem to convince myself that my job was important or meaningful.  I couldn't see past the day to day slog and overall BS of it.

You appear to be in a very different situation, though. While you aren't literally curing cancer, you're in the ballpark, and you appear to be relatively satisfied - maybe even happy, ffs! -- with the work.  And you make insane bank, too.

This is the dream life of most people, and you're living it.  I suspect if you quit, after 2-3 months you'll be bored and have regrets.  Many people have difficulty adapting to leisure and finding suitable replacement activities for the time work used to consume.  Again, some people love it, and others just can't make the adjustment -- they need the stimulation, the structure, the system of rewards that work offers. Need to feel like they're giving back, part of a team, etc.  I think there are elements of personality and individual programming in play here.  We're not all wired the same way.

As others have said, if you really need a break, take a break.  Find a spot at the end of a large project where it's all right for you to disappear for a month or two and figure out the details with the powers that be.  People like you are, as a rule, great employees and most likely your employer would prefer to grant you some flexibility rather than losing you outright.  It's not that weird to want some extended time off when you've been working for a couple of decades straight.

I just think that I am wasting limited time on earth as in Your Money or Your Life, at work.

It's not wasted!  You appear to have one of the few jobs that is very clearly giving back to the world.  There's nothing inherently bad about working -- don't let Your Money or Your Life (or hell, my own blog for that matter, where I rip on aspects of work constantly) make you think this way.

Only get to decide how you feel about your personal relationship with work.  Nobody else -- You.

+1 to you are SWAMI.  Own it.  There's no shame in working hard and enjoying the hell out of it.

Libertea

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2016, 04:58:18 PM »
Have you considered going PT?  Maybe talk to your boss and see if there are options to do that or to work on projects as a consultant (where you work for a while until a project is done and are off for a while in between projects).

I will be FI in my early 40s in the next year or two, but I don't feel like retiring altogether is what I really want to do.  On the other hand, changing my field and cutting back my work hours sounds terrific and will provide multiple benefits: social interactions at work, some extra funds to help cushion early FI, extra time to do hobbies/travel/spend with friends and family, and a chance to ease into new ventures instead of just stopping all work cold-turkey.  So that is my plan. 

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2016, 05:13:05 PM »
You're not alone.  Mathematically, I'm quite safe to FIRE now, but I just can't do it.  I *do* still enjoy what I do, so that's part of it, but I can't get myself to consider talking PT or similar yet, despite my desire for more time for personal projects.  I have a hard time believing the math.  It just looks like what works in the past may no longer be valid going forward.  I'm sure that's what people thought in the past too.  :-)  It's tough.  Presently I'm committing to FT through 2020 as extra insurance (well, unless I get canned in the meantime!).

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2016, 09:07:38 PM »
I am not yet FI, but I'm close, and I love my job (well, mostly; last week not so much, but it should improve). I don't have immediate plans to quit the instant I hit that magic $$ number.

Many people need to feel a sense of purpose, a sense that they're contributing to the world at large. That's what makes them feel fulfilled and truly, deeply happy. The way you talk about the significance of the work you do suggests that that may be part of what's keeping you at your job, along with the fact that you enjoy it. That's not a bad thing.

Have you considered going PT?  Maybe talk to your boss and see if there are options to do that or to work on projects as a consultant (where you work for a while until a project is done and are off for a while in between projects).

I was going to suggest that too. Or maybe take a sabbatical for a couple of months and see if that changes your perspective.

But seriously, if you're happy and fulfilled, why quit? That's the golden ring most people are aiming for. You may just already be there, and also FI to boot.

Felicity

• Stubble
  • ruff!
    • Fetching Financial Freedom
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2016, 08:53:49 AM »
  Very true on the corporate BS part, since I do not really need to work, work is a hell of alot of fun. What is funny is, after I kind of said F it at work and just did what was really important, and gave zero F's about the other petty stuff, I got promoted to where I am at a shockingly high level (second highest that exists at the site where I work) and got a great raise so go figure. Peter in Office Space is my hero. :) What is even funnier is during a great big reorganization, (read layoffs and cost cutting),  I was pretty much left out of the whole thing as I was designated as having a unique skill set and given LTE's. This even after I told my boss that I did not need a raise and that he could give my portion of the raise pool to other team members. Seriously?  Not miserable as have made a decision to be happy. However, the opportunity cost quandary is very real for me.   I am sure that there are others that feel the same way. I kind of have made a problem where none exists, that is for sure but it is a bit of a reasonable question to ponder.  I will check out the links Felicity. Thanks!

That's so awesome! Just being financially independent brings so much freedom.

You are free to quit if you want, of course.  Your earnings and spending patterns have given you that right.  But I don't hear a single thing that you want to do instead of working. 

Very true.

Squirrel, you may want to think about this more - maybe make a bucket list of sorts. Are there places you've always wanted to travel to? Take a vacation and go. Want to learn to paint? Take a class, or just pick up some paints. Want to learn a foreign language? No one's stopping you. :)

If you make a list, and promise to yourself to mark at least one item off a year, I dare you to feel like you're missing out on life. :D   (And no need to quit your awesome job)

PhysicianOnFIRE

• Bristles
    • Physician On FIRE
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2016, 09:23:15 AM »
There have been several good "golden handcuffs" discussions on this forum.  If the handcuffs aren't keeping you from a life you'd much rather be living, wear them with pride. 

As others have suggested, finding a charitable cause to benefit from your unneeded income might make the job even more worthwhile.  Start a donor advised fund or look into similar options if you haven't already.

mathlete

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2016, 09:36:27 AM »
I am extremely wealthy and I save lives for a living.

What's wrong with me guys!?!?!

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2016, 09:47:58 AM »
I am extremely wealthy and I save lives for a living.

What's wrong with me guys!?!?!

Yep, humble brag.

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2016, 06:20:39 PM »
   We you could also view it as I am a greedy bastard working hard to make an enormous cash sucking pharmaceutical company even richer. Kind of depends on where you stand you might say. I really am not trying to come off as a putz. However, this thread has certainly given me some good insight and there are a few folks lucky enough to be in my position. I work on houses, fish, read, etc,  I would have no problems filling my days with pleasant things to do. I think that I will work awhile longer and then think on going part time or taking a break before I hang up the Autographica californica baculovirus cultures for good. You could also view it as a lack of intestinal fortitude but I prefer to look before I leap. However, I do not want to look too long. :)

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2016, 06:39:56 PM »
OP, you are doing noble work. If that gives you value and a sense of purpose and you don't want to walk away from that then you shouldn't.

If you were a corporate attorney, code slinger, etc. that was just a way for some huge impersonal Corp to make a shit ton of money I'd say walk but you are one of the lucky ones doing good work. I am an IT Manager at a really good firm with good people, but still. I have to work harder to find the nobility in my work (helping others grow professionally has had its rewards). Years from now my decision will be easier.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2016, 06:45:59 AM »
I am so happy for you!  Whatever you choose, it will be OK.  Since you are financially free, you can ask for any flexibility at work that you want.   

The world is your oyster!  Don't feel bad about working more.  If you are enjoying it then keep doing it.  Take some vacations and start to think about the non-work things that you would like to accomplish. 

Have fun with it and congrats!

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2016, 09:39:21 AM »
     We are FI by any measure.

I have an inexplicable  need to keep my job. WTF is wrong with us?

Nothing is wrong with you. Your FI is your freedom. In your case, it is the freedom to keep working at the job you love. Not because you have to, but because you want to.

ol1970

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2016, 09:59:45 AM »
Keep working!  If you enjoy it and have tons of freedom keep doing it but take more time off when possible.  Finding a great gig that you love doing and have cool people around to work with is a great place to be in.  I pulled the trigger about 2 years ago at 43 and walked away from a 7 figure gig because I was ready for a break.

Believe me the "one more year syndrome" can be overwhelming when the dollars get really big, but at the end of the day for me I'm blessed to know that I have enough and don't need/want to inflate my lifestyle.  I can see myself getting involved in another project or company again, but I wouldn't trade the past couple of years for more money and the stress that went hand in hand with the work.  At some dollar amount you are really just keeping score and you have to ask yourself what is the point of it all if you are not doing what makes you happy.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2016, 10:30:20 AM »
I think anyone capable of FIREing, and does so for the sole reason that they could do other things besides working, is missing the point. The majority of people dislike their jobs so it should not be surprising that most folks are looking to FIRE to do something else, but that doesn't mean we should all blindly jump of the FIRE cliff like lemmings. You're only wasting your life if you're unhappy, because at the end of the day, that's the only thing that matters.

tobitonic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2016, 11:08:06 AM »
I think anyone capable of FIREing, and does so for the sole reason that they could do other things besides working, is missing the point. The majority of people dislike their jobs so it should not be surprising that most folks are looking to FIRE to do something else, but that doesn't mean we should all blindly jump of the FIRE cliff like lemmings. You're only wasting your life if you're unhappy, because at the end of the day, that's the only thing that matters.

Agreed, 100%.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2016, 12:18:08 PM »
Do you have children?  If so, can you leave work to attend their events, or take them on special outings?  What about your parents?  Are they in good health?  If so, should you be doing things with them before they get too old?  If they are in poor health, would your attention improve their lives? 

For me these questions are a huge part of why I am FIREing, as my job does not lend itself well to spending time on these things. 

My job is a PITA greater than 50% of the time.  If I could get that number down to 25%, come and go when I please with a total number of working hours around 20-30/week, and 6 weeks a year to travel, I could see myself working until unable to do so without too much trouble.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 01:24:48 PM by So Close »

FinanciallyIndependent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2016, 12:58:46 PM »
     We are FI by any measure. High net worth, reasonable costs to maintain our life style. High savings rate. Diversified in stocks and real estate at an almost even mix. However, we have great jobs that provide a huge amount of cash and benefits. Say 290k combined regular and tax differed combined income not counting insurance. I have an inexplicable  need to keep my job. WTF is wrong with us? Yes I have  fears for the future but Jesus H, we are fricken rich and very, very lucky.   My work is actually useful to the world as I am currently working on vaccines for respiratory infections in elderly adults (a lethal disease for millions of folks a year)  and it pays very well. I LOVE the folks I work with and have a giant amount of freedom at work.  However, if we got fired tomorrow we would fine forever with minor adjustments.  Am I the only one?

You have it going for you buddy! You dont need to stop working if you dont want to.  Just write down what will bring you most joy in life and start doing it.  I can tell you one thing if you quit your highly satisfactory job then you may regret it.  Perhaps consider working part time at the same place, this will give you better balance.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!