Author Topic: I am trying to find a house...  (Read 10390 times)

PAstash

• Stubble
I am trying to find a house...
« on: August 14, 2016, 12:56:34 AM »
I am not sure where it is. I want to live approx. 3-10 miles from the beach. FIRE tax friendly. In the states or English speaking dollar using country. I'd like a smallish house. think cottage/bungalow. Real estate agents have been very unhelpful. The online listing system is a mess. Any suggestions?

little edit: In case someone can actually help me. It should also be within 40 miles of a city. It should be in walking/biking distance of groceries post office ect. It should be on 1-3 acres of land and ideally should have a fresh water source on it.

climate would be temperate.

yea I know it's a tall order. If anyone has any idea where to find a place like this or means to do so would be a huge help.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 01:04:38 AM by PAstash »

former player

• Walrus Stache
Re: I am trying to find a house...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 01:34:34 AM »
Rent or buy?

How much?  US dollars only, or would Canadian or Australian dollars do?

What do you want the land for?

How big a city?

What does temperate climate mean to you?

You need to better define your parameters, make a list of countries that meet the dollar/language/climate/tax requirements (remembering that taxes can and will change at the will of whatever government is elected) and work down from there - possibly 1) city of right size within 40 miles of coast 2) general affordability levels 3) beach  4) local amenities (although presence of groceries and post office is also subject to change).  Then visit to see whether you like it before trying to find the property.   If you do want a property there, reach out to the locals for help and advice.

I'd tend to say that there are human beings all over this planet and the most desirable spots are well colonised and prices tend to be higher.  If you go to an area of rising popularity the sort of property you are looking for could be ripe for development and priced accordingly.  If you go to an area of declining popularity the continued presence of amenities is in doubt.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 04:32:20 AM »
You might consider South Carolina.  Low taxes, generally low COL, and you should be able to find decent real estate prices if you get back a few miles from the built-up coastal strip.  The down side is that it is hotter than blue blazes from mid-May to late September.

North Carolina is similar, although taxes are a little higher.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 05:17:06 AM »
in the U.S., I agree with the carolinas if you can stand the heat.

I love Wilmington, NC and it is walkable/bikeable and very close to several nice beaches.

You didn't say the property itself had to be cheap so I'd suggest looking at somewhere like Hilton Head Island or Fripp Island in SC. Both are super bike friendly and HHI, in particular, has everything you could want (groceries, libraries, restaurants, movie theaters, etc). In general check out the island communities of SC and Norther Georgia.

The Hampton area of VA may be bit cheaper but maybe not as bike friendly, but may be worth looking.

I think temperate (to me, being as close to 70 degrees as possible all year) is really hard to find outside of the San Diego to San Francisco stretch of CA. But if you can deal with heat you can find all sorts of lovely places.

A warning though - with weather being what it has been in recent years hurricane and flooding insurance are EXPENSIVE on the coast.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 09:11:36 AM »
There are a few spots in southern Orange County CA that meet your criteria, but your probably looking at a purchase price (for 1-3 acres) of well over  $1 million, unless of course you rent, and/or share a rental, but the monthly payment will not be mustachian by any standards.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 09:22:28 AM »
Florida doesn't have a state income tax, and there is a lot of coast to be near. Real estate is cheaper than California. Texas doesn't have state income tax either.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 09:23:24 AM »
Possibly the Washington coast.  Never snows or gets hotter than about 75 to 80.   Do you like rain?

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 09:34:57 AM »
What type of beach?

Ocean beach? or is a lake beach fine?

brokemillennial

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Simply Worth Saving
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 10:42:02 AM »
What type of beach?

I was just going to suggest this! Larger lakes (and rivers, to some extent) can give you the "feeling" of being at the beach, and you wouldn't have to pay for hurricane coverage.

PAstash

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 09:46:39 PM »
You might consider South Carolina.  Low taxes, generally low COL, and you should be able to find decent real estate prices if you get back a few miles from the built-up coastal strip.  The down side is that it is hotter than blue blazes from mid-May to late September.

North Carolina is similar, although taxes are a little higher.

buy
100k or less I don't mind doing work.
population 100kish

PAstash

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 09:58:30 PM »
in the U.S., I agree with the carolinas if you can stand the heat.

I love Wilmington, NC and it is walkable/bikeable and very close to several nice beaches.

You didn't say the property itself had to be cheap so I'd suggest looking at somewhere like Hilton Head Island or Fripp Island in SC. Both are super bike friendly and HHI, in particular, has everything you could want (groceries, libraries, restaurants, movie theaters, etc). In general check out the island communities of SC and Norther Georgia.

The Hampton area of VA may be bit cheaper but maybe not as bike friendly, but may be worth looking.

I think temperate (to me, being as close to 70 degrees as possible all year) is really hard to find outside of the San Diego to San Francisco stretch of CA. But if you can deal with heat you can find all sorts of lovely places.

A warning though - with weather being what it has been in recent years hurricane and flooding insurance are EXPENSIVE on the coast.

I have heard about Wilmington a few times now.

PAstash

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 10:04:55 PM »
What type of beach?

I am flexible

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 06:09:20 AM »
You might try http://www.landwatch.com/ or http://www.landandfarm.com/

Both of those let you search by acreage as well as price and location, so they might be more useful for your purposes than a typical real estate site. I've only ever browsed them, though. I don't know how reliable they are for actually buying.

robbyho

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 06:21:30 AM »
Texas, Florida, South Carolina. If you can take heat.

From what I've heard, the west coast has cooler summers and warmer winters than the East Coast.

International - Belize speaks english as their primary language, is super cheap to live in, is on the coast, and has at least one decent sized city - Belize City. My friend down there says he could find me a 3 bedroom house with AC to rent for about $500US/mo.

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 06:50:33 AM »
I live near coastal NC/Wilmington. You're prob going to have a hard time finding a place for 100k. My parents just sold a crappy 1970's mobile home for 80k, a couple of miles from the beach (not their house, they flipped the property). If you live in a rough area, not directly on the beach, you may be able to pull it off for 100k. Anywhere near the beach front will be sky high.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 07:00:57 AM »
You might want to take a look at the gulf coast from about 75 miles north of the Tampa, FL. and work your way northwest toward Alabama. Sure as hell isn't a place I would spend any time other than 2-3 months a winter, but your land wishes, and price are  both possible, somewhere in that stretch.

BTW, having spent a fair bit of time all over North America, I can't emphasize this point strongly enough. DO NOT drop a hundred large ANYWHERE, before you research the area, then find a place to rent for a year. I guarantee that your will have a completely different take on your "dream location" by the end of that year.  Maybe it will reinforce your belief that you found the perfect place, maybe you will walk away saying  "thank God I dodged that bullet".  I live in the northeast. I have spent winters in the area I mentioned. If you are there in January and February, it can be pretty easy to look around and think to yourself, " damn, this place is pretty cool, laid back, and real cheap to live". Then one day, as the winter fades to spring (early March)  the no-see-ums show up and you have your first morning of itching like a flea infested dog. This will continue for the next nine months or so, and if you are outside, at dusk and dawn, without a stiff breeze, they will eat you alive. A few weeks after the start of that season, it starts to warm up. By May, it's so fucking hot you wonder if it would be better to just die, and get it over with.

You will probably learn, in your searching, that the days of an inexpensive home that is close to the beach, close to a major city, on large acreage, in a desirable location, was something that ended about half a century ago, in the most of North America. That leaves you with deciding how important your list is to you. You can find what you want, in places that the majority of folks wouldn't dream of living year round, or you may need to decide what "requirements" need to be eliminated from your wish list. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2016, 08:00:18 AM »
Ha. Reading PaddedHat's Florida rant reminded me . . .

At one point, my grandparents lived in Murphy, North Carolina, which might be a region to check out if lakes and rivers / creeks would meet your beach requirements. Around that area, there were a lot of what people called "halfbacks" -- people from the North who retired to Florida but hated it so much they moved halfway back. It's far enough South that you don't get the snow and ice, but it's in the mountains, so you don't get the extreme heat. Land is cheap, and there's a lot of natural beauty. There's not much in the way of city living nearby, but maybe you could look closer to Chattanooga or Atlanta.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2016, 08:21:41 AM »

At one point, my grandparents lived in Murphy, North Carolina, which might be a region to check out if lakes and rivers / creeks would meet your beach requirements. Around that area, there were a lot of what people called "halfbacks" -- people from the North who retired to Florida but hated it so much they moved halfway back. It's far enough South that you don't get the snow and ice, but it's in the mountains, so you don't get the extreme heat. Land is cheap, and there's a lot of natural beauty. There's not much in the way of city living nearby, but maybe you could look closer to Chattanooga or Atlanta.

Rant? Hell, that was just me being truthful and sweet.................. I didn't catch the fact that the OP views inland lake locations as being "the beach". Nothing wrong with that, well maybe I spoke too soon.  If you are fine with water that is swimmable for 8-10 weeks a year, and beaches that vary from beautiful sand to rocky, there are countless opportunities to fit your wants in the northern half of the states.  If your looking for swimming ten-twelve months a year, and have no aversion to gators, snakes and brain eating Amoebas, the southeast fits the bill.  Extreme western NC is beautiful. I have friends in Hayesville and wouldn't hesitate to move to the area, if it wasn't so remote.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2016, 09:05:23 AM »
..... I didn't catch the fact that the OP views inland lake locations as being "the beach". Nothing wrong with that, well maybe I spoke too soon.  ...

I don't know whether lakes count or not. A few people mentioned them as possibly expanding the options, but OP hasn't defined "beach" for us yet. . . .

Anyway, if that was you being sweet, I wouldn't want to hear your rants. But you left out the twelve-month allergy season in your Florida description.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2016, 10:02:45 AM »
..... I didn't catch the fact that the OP views inland lake locations as being "the beach". Nothing wrong with that, well maybe I spoke too soon.  ...

I don't know whether lakes count or not. A few people mentioned them as possibly expanding the options, but OP hasn't defined "beach" for us yet. . . .

Anyway, if that was you being sweet, I wouldn't want to hear your rants. But you left out the twelve-month allergy season in your Florida description.

Forgot about the allergies. IMHO, It is a facinating place, if you view it from my perspective, having spent my life in the northern woods, with four seasons. We spent the winter in a sleepy little area outside of Gainesville,  last year. Not only are there things blooming year round, but there is a massive industry dedicated to biomass removal. The place is so fertile, green and jungle like, that keeping a property from being swallowed up by the jungle is no small task. We stayed at an RV resort that was a few dozen acres in size. It took a crew of 2-3, working full time, to keep the place looking squared away.  These guys spent forty hours a weeks with rakes, blowers, chains saws and lawn mowers going. It doesn't take long for abandoned ground to revert to scrub woods that are so thick you can't even get through it. I really like the area, but freely admit that I'm just not willing to suffer through the 6-7 months a year when it's hot and horribly humid.

PAstash

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2016, 08:42:07 PM »
There are a few spots in southern Orange County CA that meet your criteria, but your probably looking at a purchase price (for 1-3 acres) of well over  $1 million, unless of course you rent, and/or share a rental, but the monthly payment will not be mustachian by any standards.
hahaha! I'm in Huntington Beach and can't even invision a one acre property existing around d here. And if it did it would sell for multiple millions and be built up with multiple houses ASAP. I think the only thing house on acreage the OP could afford at $$100k or less near water in SoCal would be the Salton Sea ;-).

I think beach areas in SoCal are out for you OP unless you are OK with renting an apt (average o e bedroom around $1400/month) or a room rental. But there are some lake towns that are much more affordable thru out the state. I use to live in a mountain ski/lake town about 100 miles (and 7,000 ft up) from Orange County beaches and prices are much lower there if you aren't lake front. Lots of little places too. Personally I'd look at the Carolina coast areas as they are great.

I have little interest in SoCal so not a problem for me ruling that one out. I was kind of dead set on being able to make it to a beach within a bike ride a grocery store within bike ride AND having enough land to grow so of my own food.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2016, 08:53:34 PM »
You are going to need another zero or possibly two at the end of the stated dollar amount to get what you want. I rue the day my parents sold their lot in Stinson Beach back in the mid 60's.

PAstash

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2016, 10:05:50 PM »

Beach would be Ocean. Now that someone mentioned large lakes. It has got me thinking. I wouldn't have to worry about major storms or tidal wave type events. I'd sleep a bit easier.

PAstash

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2016, 10:10:28 PM »
You might want to take a look at the gulf coast from about 75 miles north of the Tampa, FL. and work your way northwest toward Alabama. Sure as hell isn't a place I would spend any time other than 2-3 months a winter, but your land wishes, and price are  both possible, somewhere in that stretch.

BTW, having spent a fair bit of time all over North America, I can't emphasize this point strongly enough. DO NOT drop a hundred large ANYWHERE, before you research the area, then find a place to rent for a year. I guarantee that your will have a completely different take on your "dream location" by the end of that year.  Maybe it will reinforce your belief that you found the perfect place, maybe you will walk away saying  "thank God I dodged that bullet".  I live in the northeast. I have spent winters in the area I mentioned. If you are there in January and February, it can be pretty easy to look around and think to yourself, " damn, this place is pretty cool, laid back, and real cheap to live". Then one day, as the winter fades to spring (early March)  the no-see-ums show up and you have your first morning of itching like a flea infested dog. This will continue for the next nine months or so, and if you are outside, at dusk and dawn, without a stiff breeze, they will eat you alive. A few weeks after the start of that season, it starts to warm up. By May, it's so fucking hot you wonder if it would be better to just die, and get it over with.

You will probably learn, in your searching, that the days of an inexpensive home that is close to the beach, close to a major city, on large acreage, in a desirable location, was something that ended about half a century ago, in the most of North America. That leaves you with deciding how important your list is to you. You can find what you want, in places that the majority of folks wouldn't dream of living year round, or you may need to decide what "requirements" need to be eliminated from your wish list. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Thanks for this. I'll for sure check out renting for a year. I am not after a very large place. Working on a house is not something I am foreign to either. The distance from a major city is very negotiable. However the biking to amities and beach not so much. The land to grow food on also not something I would want to bend on. What did you mean by "no-see-ums"?

PAstash

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2016, 10:13:38 PM »

Thanks for this. Yea everyone keeps mentioning the Carolinas. The city I could bend on. I just need to be able to drive to a airport for family and business. This seems like it would be the best of both worlds. I don't want to give up biking to a smallish town for things post office groceries ect...I also don't want to give up biking to a body of water. Which after these posts has me leaning towards a lake not a ocean. the city I can take or leave as long as it's not to to far away.

PAstash

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2016, 10:18:22 PM »
I live near coastal NC/Wilmington. You're prob going to have a hard time finding a place for 100k. My parents just sold a crappy 1970's mobile home for 80k, a couple of miles from the beach (not their house, they flipped the property). If you live in a rough area, not directly on the beach, you may be able to pull it off for 100k. Anywhere near the beach front will be sky high.

After reading about Wilmington (turns out I've been there before) I looked into it. I am not look for RIGHT on the beach think 10 miles away. I actually found a few properties that fit most of my requirements.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2016, 04:29:16 AM »

After reading about Wilmington (turns out I've been there before) I looked into it. I am not look for RIGHT on the beach think 10 miles away. I actually found a few properties that fit most of my requirements.

I lived in Wilmington for most of the 1990s/early 2000s.  Haven't been back in a while, so I'm not sure how much things have changed in the last decade or so.  Ten miles from the beach for 100k will be tough, but maybe doable if you look in Brunswick Co. Pender Co., or maybe Onslow Co.  You also might want to look at older fixer uppers closer to downtown Wilmington.  Not sure what the prices are in those neighborhoods now, but they used to be pretty reasonable.  Definitely check out the crime rates, though; I remember some of those neighborhoods being sketchy, and that was before the meth/pills/heroin epidemic. 

But if you don't know what no see-ums are, you need to go spend a few weeks there in the summer and see if you still like it.  You pretty much can't go outside in the late afternoon/evening without insect repellant from April through October.  And I've said it before, but it bears repeating.  Summer weather can be brutal if you're not into heat and humidity.  The weather is one of the main reasons I left, and I grew up in North Carolina.

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2016, 06:59:44 AM »

I lived in Wilmington for most of the 1990s/early 2000s.  Haven't been back in a while, so I'm not sure how much things have changed in the last decade or so.  Ten miles from the beach for 100k will be tough, but maybe doable if you look in Brunswick Co. Pender Co., or maybe Onslow Co.  You also might want to look at older fixer uppers closer to downtown Wilmington.  Not sure what the prices are in those neighborhoods now, but they used to be pretty reasonable.  Definitely check out the crime rates, though; I remember some of those neighborhoods being sketchy, and that was before the meth/pills/heroin epidemic. 

But if you don't know what no see-ums are, you need to go spend a few weeks there in the summer and see if you still like it.  You pretty much can't go outside in the late afternoon/evening without insect repellant from April through October.  And I've said it before, but it bears repeating.  Summer weather can be brutal if you're not into heat and humidity.  The weather is one of the main reasons I left, and I grew up in North Carolina.

+1 It's murderously humid here. As soon as you step outside you're sweating. 

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2016, 07:25:45 AM »
PAstash - reading more about your requirements I highly recommend looking into the piedmont (central) area of NC. If a lake or a river is good enough for you then there are areas of Durham, Orange and Chatham counties that can be a great fit (though 100k is still pretty tight anywhere you are looking).

But there is also an active bike culture in that area and you are close to RDU airport as well. Specific small towns to look at would be Saxapahaw, Hillsborough, or Pittsboro NC.

I love the Carolinas big time and we were looking hard for job opportunities that would keep us there. We ended up in Northwest OH which is also lovely (and close proximity to the Lakes) but winter is definitely not temperate here.

If you are still aiming for "coastal" take a look at New Bern NC. It is fairly posh but a friend of ours recently nabbed a nice 1960s ranch for low 100s.

If you do find water, land, town, bikeable, airport proximity and temperate weather for 100k then please let us all know!

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2016, 09:34:03 AM »
How about somewhere on the Olympic peninsula?

Not as much rain as Seattle. In fact, nowhere near the rain.

Close to the beach.

Near Port Angeles or Sequim.

No state income taxes.

http://www.johnlscott.com/jls/modules/internet/search/includes/mapsearch/listingpopup.asp?mlsid=256&mlsnumber=301447

http://www.johnlscott.com/jls/modules/internet/search/includes/mapsearch/listingpopup.asp?mlsid=256&mlsnumber=290324

MntnFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2016, 10:22:07 AM »
Regarding Wilmington, NC – It has a lot going for it but if you have not been there in a while I would recommend spending time there to evaluate the present situation. I don’t live there but I’ve spent 1-2 weeks a year there for the past 20+ years to visit family. The area has seen a lot of growth with many new subdivisions. To my mind there has been little overall planning and a lot of sprawl. The traffic can be very bad. They don’t have jammed freeways but getting across town means crowded city streets with long waits at stoplights – sometimes 2 or 3 cycles. They have put in some parks but they tend to be sports parks for kids, not open space for hiking. They have striped bicycle lanes on some roads but people in huge pickup trucks routinely drive 60-70 mph on the “back” roads to avoid the crowded main roads. Once again, there are many positive attributes but it is not the same place it was in the 90s.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2016, 11:04:50 AM »
Missouri is another option for you - lots of lakes, small towns, St. Louis for an airport...

Guava

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2016, 08:27:38 PM »

Beach would be Ocean. Now that someone mentioned large lakes. It has got me thinking. I wouldn't have to worry about major storms or tidal wave type events. I'd sleep a bit easier.

I know you were originally thinking ocean but if your head north to the Great Lakes there are a lot of options for exactly what you are looking for. The west coast of Michigan up in the Traverse City area or the east side where it is less touristy have wonderful beaches. Houses are inexpensive, most everyone is on a well, and acreage is plentiful.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2016, 01:28:41 PM »
Since Nobody here has mentioned it, I HIGHLY suggest you look around the west side of Michigan, near the lake. Depending on how much winter you want to handle, you can get a very nice property for a very small price, very close to the water.

We just got back from a weeklong stay near Silver Lake, MI. Here is a great shot in the AM from the deck of the house we were staying at. https://goo.gl/photos/jyuwMBX42GdJ7oYg8.

Here is a random listing I found for a very nice house in my favorite city in Michigan: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/267-W-18th-St-Holland-MI-49423/74206349_zpid/

The further north you go (Muskegon, Ludington, Petoskey, Traverse City), the cheaper you can find things. Go further South (towards the IN border) and you'll still be pretty cheap but with warmer, less snowy winters.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2016, 01:48:48 PM »
Since Nobody here has mentioned it, I HIGHLY suggest you look around the west side of Michigan, near the lake. Depending on how much winter you want to handle, you can get a very nice property for a very small price, very close to the water.

We just got back from a weeklong stay near Silver Lake, MI. Here is a great shot in the AM from the deck of the house we were staying at. https://goo.gl/photos/jyuwMBX42GdJ7oYg8.

Here is a random listing I found for a very nice house in my favorite city in Michigan: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/267-W-18th-St-Holland-MI-49423/74206349_zpid/

The further north you go (Muskegon, Ludington, Petoskey, Traverse City), the cheaper you can find things. Go further South (towards the IN border) and you'll still be pretty cheap but with warmer, less snowy winters.

This is a GREAT suggestion. I think the OP also needs to define temperate. If they can deal with cold winter - like greatlakes and midwest (but not Minnesota winter) - that opens up a world of options. The midwest is cheap but really nice!

cj25

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2016, 03:23:17 PM »
I agree with the idea of the Olympic Peninsula - Sequim or Port Angeles.  They are in the rain shadow and aren't as gloomy. I did a quick search on realtor and you can get property near the beach with acreage for under $100 - add a house may be more.  But I would take a look.  Then you have access to so much wilderness!  The Peninsula is amazing.  There is also a very active natural/real food community and have a folk school where you can learn "traditional rural skills".  I would totally live up there if DH didn't need tech work.

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2016, 03:34:26 PM »
I agree with the idea of the Olympic Peninsula - Sequim or Port Angeles.  They are in the rain shadow and aren't as gloomy. I did a quick search on realtor and you can get property near the beach with acreage for under $100 - add a house may be more.  But I would take a look.  Then you have access to so much wilderness!  The Peninsula is amazing.  There is also a very active natural/real food community and have a folk school where you can learn "traditional rural skills".  I would totally live up there if DH didn't need tech work.

Port Townsend is a very cool town out that way.  Lots of boats, boat builders, and woodworkers.  I've taken classes at the Port Townsend Woodworking School.  Just an amazing place.   It's a bit more of a college town feel than Sequim or Port Angles.

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2016, 02:16:28 PM »
Westport / Ocean Shores, Washington. I keep enviously eyeballing the RE prices in the area there. Beachfront with lakes mountains and rivers all near by for half what you'd pay in most places.

Omething like this:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2963-State-Route-105_Grayland_WA_98547_M14114-81493
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 02:18:21 PM by Cyaphas »

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2016, 02:50:52 AM »
Big island of Hawaii. Panhandle of Florida. Purchase price will be higher in Hawaii. However, taxes and insurance will be higher in Florida.

adamcollin

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2016, 05:12:36 AM »
Social media is a great option to find yourself a good house

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2016, 07:38:14 AM »
My first thought was the Carolina coast as well, but I'm biased (NC native)...

Wilmington has a lot going on these days, very cute downtown area, and Wrightsville Beach is about 10 minutes away.

Or Kitty Hawk/The Outer Banks...

In general the COL in NC is very low given what all it has to offer. 

If you need recommendations for a Wilmington real estate agent, let me know. 

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2016, 08:34:42 AM »
Rural NC, SC, Ga all have a balance of tax burden on sales, income and property that you can use to your advantage. Should be able to find a place. Fl has no income tax so more of a burden on sales, but you might be able find something on the 10ish mi from the beach.

Georgetown SC, could fit, nice quiet town, biking across 17 to pawleys island could be precarious though; should't be a problem on the non busy days.

Spitfire

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2016, 08:58:24 AM »
There are some places south of the Ft Lauderdale airport that might fit the bill. It's very hot and humid here of course, but not as buggy as the gulf side (maybe because of the ocean breeze). You will not get the nicest house in the best neighborhoods at around 100k, but it is possible to find something. No state tax is a plus.

todthedog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2016, 10:14:53 AM »
Ever considered Europe?
No USD but that's not the end of the world.
Finistere Brittany France you can buy a lot of house for 100k USD.
Best healthcare in the world.
Beautiful and great coastline.
Temperate climate spent 15 happy years there before moving on to Skane Sweden
Again a lot of house for the money if you move 20 miles from the cities and nearly everyone speaks English.

PAstash

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2016, 01:55:11 PM »
Ever considered Europe?
Again a lot of house for the money if you move 20 miles from the cities and nearly everyone speaks English.

this is a seriously interesting idea.

PAstash

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2016, 01:57:42 PM »
Westport / Ocean Shores, Washington. I keep enviously eyeballing the RE prices in the area there. Beachfront with lakes mountains and rivers all near by for half what you'd pay in most places.

Omething like this:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2963-State-Route-105_Grayland_WA_98547_M14114-81493

wish there were more pictures. i'll check out the area. good find.

todthedog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2016, 06:23:01 AM »
I'll post a few pics when I have my computer on😁

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2016, 08:00:33 AM »
Ever considered Europe?

this is a seriously interesting idea.

Finistere 'not the end of the world' - I see what you did there ;) When I spent a week there one Feb we had impressive weather: hailstones and a rainbow on the same day.

OP Europe sadly not an option for [edit: most working] US citizens unless you've an EU passport, or can get one. If you're FI, there are some options.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 08:07:08 AM by expatartist »

todthedog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2016, 04:11:01 AM »