Author Topic: I'm sure there are some folks here who "clip coupons"  (Read 8190 times)

swampwiz

• Bristles
I'm sure there are some folks here who "clip coupons"
« on: June 12, 2018, 11:51:55 AM »
Even Warren Buffet does!

https://www.gobankingrates.com/net-worth/business-people/ways-warren-buffett-lives-frugally/#9

I wonder just how much savings can be realized.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
Re: I'm sure there are some folks here who "clip coupons"
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 12:19:22 PM »
Restaurant coupons only.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 12:27:47 PM »
I don't bother, I don't think that most of what I buy even has coupons available, since it's mostly fruits, veggies, eggs, milk, meat, stuff like that. I only see coupons for overly processed, packaged stuff, which I don't buy anyway, and I'd have to go to the big, expensive grocery store to redeem them instead of my cheap local shop. I see coupons in the mail sometimes for fast food places, but I don't eat there anyway so it's not like I'd go just to use a coupon.
Actually, the last coupon I can remember using was when a local chocolate shop sent out free waffle coupons, no purchase necessary. I collected the ones that everyone in my building had just tossed in the recycle bin, and for a little while whenever I wanted a treat I could just go get a free chocolate topped belgian waffle.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 12:39:32 PM »
Same here. I don't tend to buy the junk that the coupons are for. Then sometimes there might be something I am interested in but they want you to buy two of them to save 50 cents. So I have to pay like $5 to save 50 cents! NOPE, not going to do it! I wonder how these coupon queens manage to buy like $500 worth of stuff and pay like $3.00 for it all? They have seminars in my area now and then but it is 20 miles away. I bet they try to sell you books on how to do it. I wouldn't mind learning how to save money with coupons but I don't want to buy junk foods.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 12:42:54 PM »
Trader Joe's doesn't issue coupons. I do pay attention to what is on sale at Costco, but they stopped requiring you to show the coupon a few years ago.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 12:46:44 PM »
I really only save coupons for bed bath and beyond. That way, I always have a $5 off a $15 purchase coupon when it comes time to replace our soda stream canister (only once every 3-4 months, so not worth doing a "hack" with a bigger tank).

If I know I have gifts or home needs (rugs, etc) coming up, sometimes I'll save Overstock type coupons.

Pretty short list.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 12:48:30 PM »
Our grocery store has an app/points program.  Within the app are anywhere from 25-75 coupons at a time.  I clip them all into my profile. I don't pay much attention to them*, but continue to shop as I normally do.  Sometimes I hit the jackpot, other times I don't.

*The couple of times I will search for a coupon, is when I'm deciding between something like frozen pizzas (don't judge, I love those things).  I will pick the item with the lowest price + coupon. 

FindingFI

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 12:56:52 PM »
Not so much for food, as others have mentioned, there generally aren't coupons for the things that I buy.  And we don't get a weekly newspaper that contains the coupon booklets anyway.  I will sure flip through the weekly sales flyer though to find out what cut of meats and veggies are on sale that week and build my grocery list around them.  Those do get delivered to our house free every week.

For other items though, I don't buy anything online without first looking for a coupon or promo code.  Only takes a couple minutes of searching and there's usually at least something out there. I'm also subscribed to a bunch of store emails list and they all go into a separate folder so I can check for codes there when we need/want something without seeing any of the ads in my inbox on a regular basis.

swampwiz

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 01:00:14 PM »
For other items though, I don't buy anything online without first looking for a coupon or promo code.  Only takes a couple minutes of searching and there's usually at least something out there.

Same here, but I only do it when I see the promo code textbox on the order form.

FiftyIsTheNewTwenty

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 01:45:28 PM »
Add me to "no coupons offered for anything I buy."

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 01:50:48 PM »
Almost never EXCEPT for when we were still doing formula, we'd occasionally get a $9 off coupon.  $9 off a $28 tin is definitely worth it.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 01:54:24 PM »
Even when I clip that one or two coupons that I might be interested in, 50% of the time I forget to hand them to the cashier! DUH!

One of my local grocery stores has 7% off for seniors most weeks. It started as 10% every Tuesday, then they stopped it a while, now they offer it a few times a month and sometimes the 7% is off on some specific things like meat. I like that but wish it was every Tuesday 10%. Last year they had lobsters on sale and it just so happened we bought them on a Tuesday and got 10% off of the sale price! Cha ching, loved that one!

I always try to find promo codes when I buy on line. Also, sometimes I can't make the minimum at Walmart on line for free shipping for $35 in merchandise. Sometimes I am only $1.50 away from free shipping. Well, no way I am paying for shipping so I will find some small item that I will use for $1.50 to get free shipping! Hahaha, works for me!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 01:59:25 PM »
I use a few couponing apps.  A little money off, here and there, for diapers, toilet paper, baby Tylenol, or food (lots of packaged stuff, but sometimes single-ingredient things like dairy products).  Sometimes there's a sale plus 1-2 coupons where I can get something I would use for near-free or a significant discount. 

I get good mileage out of store loyalty programs, where I can get around 20%-off on produce and things.  Couponing doesn't save a crazy amount of money but I think it does add up. 

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 02:02:58 PM »
I don't bother, I don't think that most of what I buy even has coupons available, since it's mostly fruits, veggies, eggs, milk, meat, stuff like that. I only see coupons for overly processed, packaged stuff, which I don't buy anyway, and I'd have to go to the big, expensive grocery store to redeem them instead of my cheap local shop. I see coupons in the mail sometimes for fast food places, but I don't eat there anyway so it's not like I'd go just to use a coupon.
Actually, the last coupon I can remember using was when a local chocolate shop sent out free waffle coupons, no purchase necessary. I collected the ones that everyone in my building had just tossed in the recycle bin, and for a little while whenever I wanted a treat I could just go get a free chocolate topped belgian waffle.

Yes! I remember when a new sub shopped opened and issued free regular sized subs 100% free. Dug all the way through the trash can and had free subs for weeks. The employees started to recognize us and rung it up as a coupon before we got to the register.

I also see a slightly creepy guy, about 5' tall with long greasy hair digging through the bin by the mailboxes every once in a while, usually late at night. I'd like to think he's mustachian but probably just weird. He also drives a giant shiny red truck, probably over $50,000, that he quite literally climbs into. I said hi one time he just stared.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 02:04:36 PM »
Bearer bonds used to have people clip coupons and live off the interest.  Too bad they all matured and no more are made.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 02:21:05 PM »
My parents had some of those bond where they clipped the coupons. Then the bond was recalled and no more clipping.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 02:40:36 PM »
Our grocery store has an app/points program.  Within the app are anywhere from 25-75 coupons at a time.  I clip them all into my profile. I don't pay much attention to them*, but continue to shop as I normally do.  Sometimes I hit the jackpot, other times I don't.

One of our local chains has a similar program and I e-clip any interesting coupons into my account, but many of them are like paper coupons: issued for products that we don't use. It's nice to get a good coupon for paper products or dairy, but we don't buy things like cookies or frozen meals.

Otherwise, I'm a big fan of store sales circulars. We get those for the three grocery stores nearest our house every week, and I do plan my shopping around those (and the Costco sales).

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 03:04:00 PM »
I used to use coupons at the grocery store because they doubled them. Then they stopped, and it wasn't worth my time.
So now they have a program  they call M Perks.
All it takes is looking at what's available on the website, clicking on it, and if I buy it, I get the discount.  The one that we get the most money for is the pharmacy.  Sometimes they give $20 off your next shopping order, sometimes save $5 on a new prescription, etc.
Sometimes, money off so much spent in produce, or meat.
When they're getting rid of summer stuff they often have a % off the clearance. TheHusbandHalf wears colored t shirts in the summer, so if they're $1.50, I buy them

I have time to do this, so I do. They keep a running total of $ saved, but they also add in weekly sales purchases, so I really don't know how much we save with the coupons.

I remember when I had 3 kids under 3 (meaning lots of diapers) and one of the disposable diaper companies was changing  theirs, so, I think it was Toys R Us, had all their diapers from that company, the discontinued ones, for 75% OFF!
We have a closed in front porch, and at the time it's whole front was a row of double hung windows. It was obvious to someone passing by, that I had a lot of diapers!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 03:10:39 PM »
I used to use coupons at the grocery store because they doubled them. Then they stopped, and it wasn't worth my time.

I feel sad that people outside of the Great Lakes region may never know the awesomeness of Meijer.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 03:19:09 PM »

I feel sad that people outside of the Great Lakes region may never know the awesomeness of Meijer.

Isn't Meijer just like a bootleg WalMart?  What do they have that's special?  We have one nearby, but no reason to go there over the much closer Target and Marianos. 

ObviouslyNotAGolfer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2018, 03:20:05 PM »
Please, whatever you do, just don't pronounce it "KEW pon". :-)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2018, 03:21:13 PM »

Isn't Meijer just like a bootleg WalMart?  What do they have that's special?  We have one nearby, but no reason to go there over the much closer Target and Marianos.

Prices are better than Target, and they tend to treat their employees better than Walmart. It might also be a Michigan thing.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2018, 03:45:47 PM »
Their prices are better than Target, and better in some things than Walmart.
They are also closer to us.
Plus, they have Cypress mulch for good prices when it's on sale.
We go to Walmart about once a month because there are certain things I like there.  There are a couple of my high school classmates who are cashiers, and seems to me, working at Walmart is for someone who needs the job, so I help by shopping there.
TheHusbandHalf says they're non union so we can't go there, but I think he's half joking - to him, a deal's a deal. We have met some of his coworkers there and he says "Oh, darn I forgot my disguise!"
(NW Ohio here)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2018, 03:55:54 PM »

Prices are better than Target, and they tend to treat their employees better than Walmart. It might also be a Michigan thing.

I mean we have one (it's in Schaumburg, which I try to avoid since it's the poster child for traffic, misery, and suburban sprawl) and I've been in there, and it just seems like WalMart. 

What do have in the midwest and is awesome is Menards. 

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2018, 03:56:44 PM »
Of course we clip coupons. I haven't had to pay more than $9.99 for a haircut in years. I only get it cut when I receive a coupon in the mail.

I do this for many things. Bike coupon turned out to net me a free $100 bike part at the shop merely for walking in with the coupon.

I dont use coupons to discount the cost of things I really dont need, but I do save an awful lot on food over the year with coupons.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 04:25:43 PM »
I used a lot of coupons when I was feeding bands of roving teenagers.

Now I mostly shop at Aldi's, and don't use grocery coupons, but I do coupon at CVS. I try to get all the shampoo, body wash, and toothpaste we use for as close to free as possible.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2018, 04:48:37 PM »

Not a bootleg Walmart, Walmart got the superstore idea from Meijer.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2018, 05:31:43 PM »
We do - not a huge amount, but I bet it comes to about $10 a month. Then there is BOGO between twenty and fifty a month. The savings points at two of the grocery stores we frequent between $25 and fifty and the occasional $5 Target gift card for purchasing certain items.
We have good storage space so we can wait it out between the BOGO deals that take up to three months.
My main contribution is checking online for coupons for our favorite brand TP, PT and coffee/tea.

Coffee at BOGO plus a $1 or $2 off saves about $7. Best deal ever - grocery and liquor store closed - everything 50% off and they took coupons - enough Vodka for five years:)   

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 06:04:07 PM »
I use coupons for Bed Bath N Beyond, restaurants, and car maintenance that I get in the mail.  I also will use the coupons that come in the cat food bag for the next purchase.  If it helps other Mustachians remember to use them, my trick is to keep my coupon stash in my clown car’s arm rest! 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2018, 06:11:41 PM »
Thought of a good one: I used a coupon for my wedding dress! No lie. Won free tickets to a bridal show, then got a coupon to the bridal shop, saved me like $350.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2018, 08:13:49 PM »
Most of my grocery shopping is at Aldi, for which coupons are irrelevant since nearly all the items in the store are private-label. Additionally, the private label stuff in Aldi is almost always cheaper than name-brand stuff would be, even with a coupon.

I do most of my "non-grocery-shopping" at Target, because it is within walking distance to my home. Additionally, online orders from Target have fast, free shipping with my "RedCard", and have a 5% discount.  The only coupons I use are ones that get automatically applied to my online orders, or the in-store "Cartwheel" app on my phone.

I don't waste my time physically clipping paper coupons. Frankly, it's nowhere near worth my time to browse through them and cut them out, and remember to use them.

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2018, 04:36:04 AM »
I don't clip coupons for grocery shopping but there are times I'll use them.

A new coffee shop opened up on my way to work and for a few days whenever I walked by they handed me a couple coupons for a free cup of coffee.  I think I ended up with seven or eight.  At the time I was trying to switch over from coffee to tea but I would treat myself once in a while with a free cup of fancy coffee.

Also, a store in the shopping complex where I work had a coupon for $10 off a $10 purchase.  I found a shirt on sale for $13 so got it for $3.  Oh darn, I guess I have to 'fess up in the no shopping thread.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2018, 05:35:01 AM »
I mean we have one (it's in Schaumburg, which I try to avoid since it's the poster child for traffic, misery, and suburban sprawl) and I've been in there, and it just seems like WalMart. 

What do have in the midwest and is awesome is Menards.
It's been a long time since I've used a coupon, but I certainly rock Menard's "free after rebate" deals. Free hand saws this week...

lukebuz

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2018, 07:28:39 AM »

I have good news to share!  We have Meijers even so far south as Bowling Green, KY!  Love it.  Clean, competitive, wide aisle, good selection, etc....  1 cent pony rides for the kid!

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2018, 08:52:57 AM »
I shop at HEB (Texas and Oklahoma, I think) and they will regularly do coupons for $X off your basket, either in general, or if you spend X dollars in a particular category. They have also been doing a lot of free items lately. I don't clip manufacturer coupons but I do load them to my digital account (it's 15 minutes while I'm sitting in front of the television) and sometimes I get happy surprises when I go to check out. I also save the Bed, Bath and Beyond coupons--that's where I go for the cartridges for my SodaStream and it saves a few bucks.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2018, 09:06:10 AM »
TheHusbandHalf goes to Menards, and I hate that he does.
I'm not going to state specifics because I just don't remember, but I read a few news items that described Menards dealings with unions, the Wisconsin governor backs them, so, I hate going there. It's very convenient for THH though.

(Since my brain injury a lot of things, I just remember my opinion, but not the specifics, by choice. Things that are not worth remembering I don't cram into my brain, just the opinion I made)

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2018, 11:29:30 AM »
I will use retail and restaurant coupons as well as online coupons if I they are something I'm already going to do.  Bed, Bath, Beyond coupons and Office Depot coupons for work related stuff are the most common.  I hope my company appreciates I use coupons for them!   I always check ebates too for things I am going to buy already online.  No Aldi's or Costco nearby so most of my grocery shopping is Kroger or Harris Teeter.  Kroger is awesome in that I get digital coupons based on what I buy and they often have them off their own brands also - so I'll load them for salad greens, coffee, dry pasta, peanut butter, dog food, trash bags, etc and we get personalized ones to load for $ off $$ on produce and/or meat most months.  I buy meat and ugly produce markdowns a lot, sot the $ off $$ in meat or produce is great on top of markdown prices.  I almost never use paper coupons there.  Harris Teeter doubles and several times a year they double up to $2, so I do a quick run through weeks I'm not busy on a HT focused coupon blog and print the coupons if it is something I already buy - condiments, pasta, rice, canned beans, salad greens, dog food, tp and coffee mostly.  I don't get a newspaper, but have found plenty of good printable coupons to use on food items that are not junk. 

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2018, 12:23:26 PM »
TheHusbandHalf goes to Menards, and I hate that he does.
I'm not going to state specifics because I just don't remember, but I read a few news items that described Menards dealings with unions, the Wisconsin governor backs them, so, I hate going there. It's very convenient for THH though.

(Since my brain injury a lot of things, I just remember my opinion, but not the specifics, by choice. Things that are not worth remembering I don't cram into my brain, just the opinion I made)

My son-in-law agrees, and told us a bunch of specifics! I'm not sure that Lowe's/HD are really any better, though.

Not Your Monkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2018, 07:23:37 PM »
A friend was standing in line at Target behind a woman who had epic couponing skills.  This woman was buying all sorts of expensive goodies (shampoo, razors, laundry detergent) for next to nothing. The cashier said something like "wow.  That was great. I wish I could coupon like you but I can't be bothered."
The woman's response?  "What?  You don't like money?"

This friend enjoyed telling me this story because I regularly coupon. I share with her all the easy deals I find and she appreciates it. You don't need to buy a newspaper.  It's easily done with digital coupons attached to your store loyalty card and by printing coupons from your computer.

Some weeks, safeway offers digital coupons for $1 off anything in the produce department, bakery department, etc. (last week I bought 2 pounds of strawberries for 88 cents, this week I got a loaf of bread for free)

Kroger and affiliates straight up gives you a free item every Friday (mostly junk, but every once in a while you get a gem like a Lara bar or a cell phone charging cable). Today is Ocean Spray juice.  Not my thing so I'll pass.

Sometimes, the stars align and I get paid for buying an item. Yup. 6 bags of bobs red mill flour.  Paid nothing and got back $8. Good thing I love baking and we can go through that easily.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2018, 08:44:15 AM »
I've used coupons for years for hair color.  I've been coloring my own hair every other month for years and a box can be $9 - $10, but coupons and sales can drop that to $5-$6.   
I also use coupons for canned goods that I then donate to our local food bank which is always in need of canned fruits,  vegetables, meats and baby formula.  I've seen some of those "super couponer" TV shows where the proceeds are all donated and I've thought it would be a win/win for someone who likes the thrill of the hunt but doesn't need all of the items for themselves.
I get the newspaper on the weekend and it's easy to clip and stash coupons. 

Channel-Z

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2018, 12:45:06 PM »
I'll use McDonald's coupons, which show up in the mail periodically. My grocery store has digital coupons for my "rewards" card, but rarely for anything I need.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2018, 02:36:39 PM »
I went to the store, after Christmas. There was a coupon in the paper for an ad in the paper that all their Christmas items were on clearance, 50 % off. "But now, take an additional 25% off, that's 75% off!"

I cut the ad out because I thought there might be trouble. I never try to get something I'm not entitled to but for some reason I think stores should do as they say.

When I got to the check out, I did not get an an additional 25% off. I got 50% off, then 25% off that figure. That is NOT 75% off, for my $10 purchase, it was 3,75. 75% off would have been 2.50.

They agreed the ad did not say what they wanted to say, and that particular ad has been worded differently since.  (I was charged 2.50, and probably put on the PIA list)

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2018, 04:32:48 PM »
  Very seldom for food- although our grocery store often has free items with their app on the weekends. Got free cream cheese two weeks ago. Other times  it is odd processed stuff. But for toiletries all the time- I follow the coupon sites and get what ever is free or low cost. CVS this week had Crest toothpaste for $3.00 and get $2 extra care bucks back- add $1.00 coupon ( they had one in the app) - I spend 3 and get 3 store credit. Often I roll that credit into something else that produces extra care bucks. I can walk to CVS so no gas costs. I hear Walgreens is having a sale on brown sugar and powdered sugar- 1.29 a lb and they have a store coupon that takes $1 off- so I will probably grab a bag of each.

Fields of Gold

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2018, 04:47:37 PM »
The majority of times I take a name-brand coupon into a store I find a similar generic product at an even lower price.  I select the generic product and leave the coupon on the shelf for someone who wants the name brand.

Erica

• Bristles
  • Married
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2018, 11:35:41 PM »
I've tried this over and over. It's alot of work when shopping at Grocery Outlet is about just as inexpensive as you can get.

Grocery Outlet (sign up for their $3 coupons w/multiple emails right before you leave to shop) then get in line with your spouse. Spend $25 a piece and you'll save $6. But the items are so inexpensive you've saved a ton already.

Watch the sales regarding the stores adjacent grocery outlet. Run in and buy what is on sale. This is the best I've gotten lately.

At one point decades ago, coupons provided me with diapers, hair care, toiletries, dog and cat food, for very inexpensive. Soaking alochol bottles taken from the back of bars with the cash register I bought for $100 would provide me with receipts to obtain a few hundred a month as a stay home mom in the early 90's. Nowadays it's alot harder than it was.

Lmoot

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2018, 05:49:08 AM »
Coupons are useless for me. Maybe if I had kids  but it’s just me and I tend to eat unprocessed/whole foods, and I make my own cleaning products. I shop at Costco which is already a cost-savings of many of the things I buy, and I stock up when they are on sale. My local grocer has BOGOs frequently, and sales on meat and produce, and I’ll shop there just for those sales.

Also I’ve found that just because there’s a coupon, doesn’t mean it’s the cheapest of that item; since I’m not brand-loyal in most things, I usually go for the cheapest, which is store brand and I’m lucky that my store brands are decent.

I admit sometimes I get jealous when I hear the before/after total of someone in front of who used coupons, but that goes away when I see their items and realize I wouldn’t have bought much of it anyway.

That being said, I’ll use coupons if there is one in the store near an item I’m purchasing. I don’t like apps so I’m sure I’m leaving money in the table, but maybe one day I’ll check them out.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2018, 06:03:59 AM »
I rarely buy from Bed Bath and Beyond but their 20% coupons are really good!

Once in a while I get a post card from PeaPod grocery delivery for $5 off or free delivery which is worth about $6.95.

Rather than using coupons I try to use my Costco Visa to get bonus bucks at the end of the year. I average between $440-$550 a year.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2018, 07:02:16 AM »
Soaking alochol bottles taken from the back of bars with the cash register I bought for $100 would provide me with receipts to obtain a few hundred a month as a stay home mom in the early 90's. Nowadays it's alot harder than it was.

@Erica I didn't quite understand that last bit.  You printed your own receipts to be able to return alcohol for cash refunds?

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2018, 07:33:40 AM »
I think she was getting rebates and needed the label and a receipt

narrative

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2018, 09:30:47 AM »
I really only save coupons for bed bath and beyond. That way, I always have a $5 off a $15 purchase coupon when it comes time to replace our soda stream canister (only once every 3-4 months, so not worth doing a "hack" with a bigger tank).

Ohhhh, thank you for mentioning this!

I have only exchanged once, at Target but am due again. It never occured to me that those BBB coupons would be good for that!

And I do use the online coupons from kind soopers and safeway as they often have them for cheese, milk, and eggs. I find that it is usually cheaper to buy store brand than it is to mess with coupons (which I used to do a lot) so I value my time now and pass on the coupons.