Author Topic: I'm sad and I think only MMM people will understand why  (Read 33169 times)

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
Re: I'm sad and I think only MMM people will understand why
« Reply #100 on: August 07, 2017, 06:40:14 AM »
Was it a red Swingline stapler?

I actually have a red Swingline stapler.  :)

ObMMM:  I saw them in Office Labyrinth one day not long after the movie came out, and got a good chuckle out of it, and picked it up thinking it might be a nice-to-have conversation piece.  The price was--I kid you not--$25!  I put it right back down, because what?  $25 for a stapler?  No thanks.

Six months later they were in the clearance bin for $5.  I bit.  ;-)

Interesting story, by the way:  Swingline didn't have a red stapler in their product offering before the movie.  The producers painted it red for the film, presumably to stand out better on the screen.  Swingline added it to their product offering after the fact.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: August 07, 2017, 07:07:01 AM »
Trash bags are the worst! I used to use the free plastic grocery bags, but a few years ago my town outlawed them. Paying for something whose literal job is to be thrown away is brutal.

Yup.

What misguided liberal "do-gooder" Hell do you live in that outlawed plastic bags? 

How ridiculous an "environmentalist" must one be to "outlaw" grocery bags that can be reused as trash bags, to force people to buy virgin plastic bags for garbage?

So-called "environmentalists," through their mindless meddling, actually end up increasing the environmental foot print of many of their citizens, while fattening the bottom line of the corporate giants they claim to hate.  Freakin' geniuses!

This kind of stupidity is why, despite over 30-years as an environmental professional (engineer), I will never call myself an "environmentalist"- because most of them think with their heart, not their brain...

-  using grocery bags for trash since 1985 or so.  I have NEVER purchased a trash bag.

You can find lots of other stuff to line trash bins.  We use cereal bags, amazon mailers, dog food bags. 

We also use grocery bags, but are trying to limit them.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: August 07, 2017, 07:55:38 AM »
My husband and I purchased a big thing of trash bags at a Sam's/Costco in like 2006 or 2007 (long before kids).  Sometime in 2011 one of my brother's kids was selling trash bags as a fundraiser and I realized we hadn't bought trash bags in years.  You should have seen the look on my sister-in-laws face when I told her we had a box from over 4 years ago that we still hadn't finished, there was no way I was going to buy some ridiculous count box of trash bags.  I did the math and we were only using 1 bag a week (at max), it would take us years to use all those trash bags.  We now have 3 kids in the house and maybe use 2(ish) bags a week so that would cut that time frame down but I still remember think that is a really long time to hold on the trash bags.  We did finally run out of the 2007 purchase (5 moves and several gatherings later) and are now working on our 2nd Costco box of trash bags, too bad nobody was having a fundraiser at that time or even better somebody that wanted to give me large counts of trash bags.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #103 on: August 07, 2017, 12:32:43 PM »
Trash bags are the worst! I used to use the free plastic grocery bags, but a few years ago my town outlawed them. Paying for something whose literal job is to be thrown away is brutal.

Yup.

What misguided liberal "do-gooder" Hell do you live in that outlawed plastic bags? 

How ridiculous an "environmentalist" must one be to "outlaw" grocery bags that can be reused as trash bags, to force people to buy virgin plastic bags for garbage?

So-called "environmentalists," through their mindless meddling, actually end up increasing the environmental foot print of many of their citizens, while fattening the bottom line of the corporate giants they claim to hate.  Freakin' geniuses!

This kind of stupidity is why, despite over 30-years as an environmental professional (engineer), I will never call myself an "environmentalist"- because most of them think with their heart, not their brain...

-  using grocery bags for trash since 1985 or so.  I have NEVER purchased a trash bag.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ My understanding is that the disposable grocery bags end up as street trash, washed into water ways, etc etc etc. And I've never met another person IRL outside of my bio family who used them as trashbags everyone just threw them away inside another trash bag they purchased, so whatever. Also, externalizing cost something something. The main part I dislike about the bag ban is that it seems to be a lowkey grocery tax on poor-er people. All the fancy folks buying organic whatever and pasture raised blah all have their enormous collection of reusable bags, and all the folks buying the cheap OJ and multi-pack of cheap snack food are the ones getting charged $.10 for every 'reusable' bag.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: August 07, 2017, 01:16:55 PM »

Yup.

You can find lots of other stuff to line trash bins.  We use cereal bags, amazon mailers, dog food bags. 

We also use grocery bags, but are trying to limit them.
The packaging from 12 pack toilet paper and papertowels are the perfect size for small to medium trash bins if you tear the plastic packaging in the right spots. 

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2017, 02:00:49 PM »
The packaging from 12 pack toilet paper and papertowels are the perfect size for small to medium trash bins if you tear the plastic packaging in the right spots.
But I don't go through enough toilet paper and papertowels to meet my trash liner needs.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2017, 02:12:01 PM »
The main part I dislike about the bag ban is that it seems to be a lowkey grocery tax on poor-er people. All the fancy folks buying organic whatever and pasture raised blah all have their enormous collection of reusable bags, and all the folks buying the cheap OJ and multi-pack of cheap snack food are the ones getting charged $.10 for every 'reusable' bag.
I've seen plenty of reusable cloth bags being given away. Each year our local library gives one to any adult who signs up for the Summer Reading Program and reads 5 books (kids get a free book). At least two county services agencies were giving them out at our National Night Out event last week. While I agree some people use their cloth grocery bags as a status symbol, I think it is a lack of taking responsibility/planning that causes people to pay the 10 cent bag tax, not a lack of available alternatives.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2017, 04:17:22 PM »
The main part I dislike about the bag ban is that it seems to be a lowkey grocery tax on poor-er people. All the fancy folks buying organic whatever and pasture raised blah all have their enormous collection of reusable bags, and all the folks buying the cheap OJ and multi-pack of cheap snack food are the ones getting charged $.10 for every 'reusable' bag.
I've seen plenty of reusable cloth bags being given away. Each year our local library gives one to any adult who signs up for the Summer Reading Program and reads 5 books (kids get a free book). At least two county services agencies were giving them out at our National Night Out event last week. While I agree some people use their cloth grocery bags as a status symbol, I think it is a lack of taking responsibility/planning that causes people to pay the 10 cent bag tax, not a lack of available alternatives.

Considering that I cannot ever remember any reusable grocery bag except the one that folds up small enough that I can I keep it on my person at all times, I have a hard time criticizing anyone for not remembering theirs. And the trend I've observed at the checkout line is that those with less (apparent) resources are more likely to not have bags with them, so I have an even harder time criticizing them. I have no doubt that there are a lot of reasons I have no way of seeing why reusable bags might be hard for someone.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2017, 08:32:10 AM »

Considering that I cannot ever remember any reusable grocery bag except the one that folds up small enough that I can I keep it on my person at all times, I have a hard time criticizing anyone for not remembering theirs. And the trend I've observed at the checkout line is that those with less (apparent) resources are more likely to not have bags with them, so I have an even harder time criticizing them. I have no doubt that there are a lot of reasons I have no way of seeing why reusable bags might be hard for someone.

Right! I live in a city that first banned plastic bags and now taxes them (you have to pay 7 cents per bag if you forget your reusables). All the propaganda about reusable bags says, "keep them in your car!" Um, OK. I don't have a car. Lots of poor people in this city don't have cars. It takes a concerted effort to remember to have a bag on me at all times; we've had to try tricks like hanging them from the front door knob so we see them when we're leaving, or leaving some in our granny cart that we take to the grocery store. And we STILL end up turning back after walking a few blocks sometimes when we realize we forgot them.

It also means that if I'm out and about, or taking a walk, and I realize I'm right near the grocery store or CVS or whatever and really should pick up the ____ I'm out of while I'm here, I likely don't have a bag with me. Because I don't carry one every time I leave the house unless I'm specifically headed out to buy something, though I guess I should? This makes me less efficient.

My main complaint about the bag tax/ban is, what are we supposed to put the kitty litter in now? I always scooped it into a plastic grocery bag and took it out to the alley so the house garbage can didn't smell like cat pee. It's lucky that I work just over the city border where bags are not taxed or illegal, so now I stock up when I run errands at lunchtime.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2017, 08:50:54 AM »

True, we often forget to bring in bags; but since we keep them in the trunk we can simply bag groceries from the cart at the car (or when shopping together one can wait in line while the other retrieves bags). Those who cannot afford to shop by automobile would not have this easy option.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2017, 01:28:54 AM »

For people who use a handbag and something similar it is easy. I have 3 reusable bags in my handbag. Otherwise I agree it is difficult to carry them on your person. I personally still forget to bring bags sometimes, especially If I join my DH shopping and leave my handbag in the car (bad habit).

For those shopping with a bar, I can recommend foldable plastic crates to use in the grocery store. They are very practical.

I am even more motivated to bring my own bags, because Norwegian grocery shops make you pay for each bag, Even though it is a small sum, it adds up in a year. Once the minister of finance wanted to add a extra tax on grocery bags, quite a high sum per bag. Fortunately she was laughed at and it was not approved for by the government. Her reasons had nothing to do with environmental reasons either.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 01:30:57 AM by Linda_Norway »

Snow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: August 09, 2017, 01:45:58 AM »
I never understood the outrage against paying for grocery bags. It is a product, it costs money to produce, so it makes sense to me to pay for it.

But then again, I am one of those weirdos who always has a bag/backpack with at least one, usually two reusable shopping bags with me. And they get folded and returned to their bag as part of the "put food away" routine. The only exception is when we do big shops and bring our hiking backpacks for carrying comfort instead.

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2017, 02:05:25 AM »
OP, I feel your pain: I'm running out of free toothbrushes that I accumulated through stays at various hotels during business trips over the past few years.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2017, 12:46:04 PM »

For people who use a handbag and something similar it is easy. I have 3 reusable bags in my handbag.

This is my solution! I have a nice nylon one I got from IKEA that folds up into a small square. But that bag style is pretty uncommon around here. Mostly it's heavy duty plastic that doesn't really fold (what you buy at the store when you've forgotten your bags), cloth bags which don't fold up small (which you acquired somewhere), or a weird coated kind of plastic with the fuzzy inside that is in the shape of the paper grocery bags which also don't fold up small (which is the ""expensive"" option at the grocery store aka costs a few dollars).

I never understood the outrage against paying for grocery bags. It is a product, it costs money to produce, so it makes sense to me to pay for it.

I think you are 100% correct, but I'm uncomfortable with the fact that to my eyes, the switch seems to have a stronger impact on those with fewer resources.

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #114 on: August 09, 2017, 01:46:46 PM »
This thread made me realize that my DH's grandparents had a mega stash of stuff in their basement. Bags, cleaning products, TP, etc. That basement is all cleaned out now by relatives...if we didn't live so far away we could have had our own personal stash forever :'(.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2017, 02:04:11 PM »
This thread made me realize that my DH's grandparents had a mega stash of stuff in their basement. Bags, cleaning products, TP, etc. That basement is all cleaned out now by relatives...if we didn't live so far away we could have had our own personal stash forever :'(.

Sounds familiar. FIL has been decluttering his overfull house and has given away lots of stuff to friends and others. We visit only once a year, as we live abroad. Last time we drove the car instead of flying and were able to take some of the remaining good stuff home before it disappreared elsewhere. Like a good sewing machine and lots of cloth and zippers.

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2017, 03:33:47 PM »
About 5 years ago, when I moved into my old townhouse, my neighbours were moving out and gave me a huge roll of brown paper.

That paper has been so useful for wrapping gifts and various renovation tasks at my new house, like protecting freshly sanded floors. Somehow, we still have more than half a roll left. I will be sad when it runs out.

I think I also have a lifetime supply of drinking straws and cellophane bags courtesy of my deal-loving mother.

powskier

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2017, 12:00:50 AM »
I  have been reusing plastic grocery store bags as trash bags for the past 22 years.
Long before MMM, it just seems crazy to me to buy something with the intention of throwing it out, while the grocery store gives them to you.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2017, 08:37:15 AM »
Whenever we go to Disney World, my wife stocks up on the shampoo/conditioner and then brings it home for our use in the shower. I cannot remember when she's bought adult shampoo or conditioner.

Of course, going to Disney World isn't exactly the most Mustachian thing.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2017, 05:53:31 PM »
I  have been reusing plastic grocery store bags as trash bags for the past 22 years.
Long before MMM, it just seems crazy to me to buy something with the intention of throwing it out, while the grocery store gives them to you.

When I last moved the enormous stash of plastic grocery bags from me and from my family provided almost all the packing material I needed.  Also useful for lining home garbage cans, picking up after dogs, adding another layer of protection to prevent freezer burn when freezing food...  We don't use plastic bags at the store, we bring a cloth bag, but  it would be ecologically irresponsible not to make already existing plastic bags do multiple duties before they end up in the trash or recycle bin.